4.5

1. Mar 2, 2013
    I like it, i will admit it could have been better but it was a good movie and it was fun the 3D was a bonus and i liked how it had a twist at the end. Overall 9/10
  2. Jan 14, 2013
    A slick addition to the horror franchise with good production values and enough tension to keep you on the edge of your seat when you're not jumping out of it. This new film is not half bad picking up from where the original 1974 film left off. For horror fans this more than delivers. The first hour is well modulated to build the expected tension as the usual array of attractive youngA slick addition to the horror franchise with good production values and enough tension to keep you on the edge of your seat when you're not jumping out of it. This new film is not half bad picking up from where the original 1974 film left off. For horror fans this more than delivers. The first hour is well modulated to build the expected tension as the usual array of attractive young teens go through their paces of being terrified, hunted and finally butchered by the fearsome leatherface. The final half hour brings to the fore more everyday recognisable villains, in this case in the guise of the local police force. At this point the film effectively switches our sympathies towards leatherface against the authorities, and whilst this last section doesn't quite pack the punch of the first hour it still keeps you engaged. The film has some great photography, including low slung camera angles and overhead crane shots, which add much to the uneasy atmosphere that pervades the film. The editing also skilfully ensures that we are not let of the hook (so to speak). Let's face it this is the sort of film that gives you exactly what it says on the tin and it certainly touches a primal nerve in me. Anyone going in and then being either disappointed or disgusted obviously have not been discerning enough about their choice of movie. Expand
  3. May 11, 2013
    A decent addition to the TCM films, but it unforntuatley had its flaws. Good setting with a good range of characters and storyline, but some of the deaths were a little disappointing and predictable, as were some of the twists also. It had it's ups and downs as far as the excitement and entertainment went, but I certainly wasn't bored at anytime while watching it. I think the two moreA decent addition to the TCM films, but it unforntuatley had its flaws. Good setting with a good range of characters and storyline, but some of the deaths were a little disappointing and predictable, as were some of the twists also. It had it's ups and downs as far as the excitement and entertainment went, but I certainly wasn't bored at anytime while watching it. I think the two more recent TCM films from the 2000's that came out were better than this one, but Horror fans should still enjoy it. Expand
  4. Mar 1, 2013
    Texas Chainsaw 3D was awesome. Despite the fact that its 31 Metascore has let itself down, this film was great! The horror was the great element in this film. Horror lovers will crave this one...
  5. Jan 9, 2013
    This reboot picks up where the original left off: The only survivor is a baby, who returns as an adult to claim her heritage. After too much dialogue the killings finally begin: bloody, blunt-force-trauma butcherings. Of course, they're more explicit than the 1974 versions, but they still have the same grungy, low-budget brutality. If you liked the original (which is one of my faves) youThis reboot picks up where the original left off: The only survivor is a baby, who returns as an adult to claim her heritage. After too much dialogue the killings finally begin: bloody, blunt-force-trauma butcherings. Of course, they're more explicit than the 1974 versions, but they still have the same grungy, low-budget brutality. If you liked the original (which is one of my faves) you won't be disappointed. That being said, in striving to maintain the style of the original, they've abandoned any hope of freshness. NOTES: Saw it in 2D and didn't miss anything. STAY THRU THE CREDITS for a final surprise. Expand
  6. Jan 5, 2013
    I hate that i am gonna say this but it was stupidly-comedic and hilarious. It's a fun movie actually, and as a fan, i find it very interesting to see if a 2012 type Texas Chainsaw will work and it did. No scare at all but i don't care, do you? 2 THUMBS UP!
  7. Jun 21, 2013
    I don't understand all the bad reviews and i can't understand why all the new horror movies have bad reviews. This film was great. Had great plot and it was really interesting. I can't stand why everyone says don't watch it watch again the original. The original sucks. Get over it. This one is much better and it also has some 3D stuff. Watch it and ignore bad reviews
  8. Jan 7, 2013
    Critics, what can I say about them other then misleading and they probably didnt even see the movie or dont like horror movies and should not even be aloud to rate movies. some of the worst movies I have ever seen got high ratings from critics and low ratings from real people like you and me.
    Now for the truth. If you watched the last one you will flip over this one. What a story line. I not need to say anything else, it would ruin it for you. I wish I could rate this movie higher but it only goes up to 10. Edge of your seat movie, you will love it. Now go see it. As I am a horror freak. I turned 13 on the 13th on a Friday and went to see Friday The 13th, on my 13th Birthday. I'm in my upper 40s now. You can trust my ratings.
  9. Jan 19, 2014
    It's not scary, but it is still one of the better horror movies I've seen. It manages to get away with not being scary by being a slasher movie that doesn't suffer from being irritatingly campy. As a matter of fact the film isn't campy at all. It's a serious and self-respecting slasher film that is actually trying to scare you. Unlike most slasher films, it doesn't rely on over excessiveIt's not scary, but it is still one of the better horror movies I've seen. It manages to get away with not being scary by being a slasher movie that doesn't suffer from being irritatingly campy. As a matter of fact the film isn't campy at all. It's a serious and self-respecting slasher film that is actually trying to scare you. Unlike most slasher films, it doesn't rely on over excessive gore or unnecessary nudity. It's serious and is trying to provide genuine scares, and while it doesn't succeed at providing scares, I respected and enjoyed it anyway for not treating me like an idiot.

That being said the lack of fear is disappointing and there are a few awkward moments here and there, particularly one involving a carnival chase, but overall I really enjoyed the plot and characters. I did find it a little odd that they try to portray "Leatherface" in a sort of positive light, but overall this served as a good introduction into a series that I am now extremely curious about. So if you're tired of things like camp or idiotic characters plaguing your horror slasher films, then you may be like me and find this to be a refreshing change of pace. It's not scary, but I still really enjoyed it.
  10. May 18, 2013
    Okay, look. Did I go into this thing with high expectations? Absolutely not, which in the end is why I ended up sort of digging it. Was the acting bad? Yes. The characters cookie-cutter and shallow? For the most part, yes. The kill scenes tacked on? Oh quite. But I expected all that; if I hit play in the first place, at this point I'm still on board.

On a somewhat positive note, the

On a somewhat positive note, the overall gore level in the movie—while still in the high-splatter range—seems a bit toned down in this installment. Or maybe it's just that they finally stopped pushing the envelope... I can't put my finger on it, but it's almost like they were trying to be tasteful, an almost maverick endeavor for a Texas Chainsaw flick.

*******SPOILERS AHEAD*********

The thing that scores this movie some points with me is the sympathetic angle on Leatherface. Not that it's executed any less ham-fistedly than the rest of the script, mind you, but the fact they even went there was an unexpected breath of fresh air. I feel as though viewers were teased with the misunderstood manchild idea so many times in the past, it was a truly smart move to finally explore it. So what if it couldn't carry an otherwise mediocre movie? The moral subplot comes through like a pie to the face, but it still does its job of villifying the mayor enough to make his gruesomely novel death scene more satisfying than cringe-worthy. ****END OF SPOILERS*****

So for all its totally unsurprising shortcomings, TC3D isn't necessarily the waste of time you would figure it to be. I should say, though, that I watched this movie 2D, and I still feel like I got the full experience. The 3D thing was clearly not a directorial move.
  11. Jan 22, 2013
    Its always good to see another "Chainsaw" film, so I was excited to see it. It was pretty good, but not great. Not sure of the justification of making the townsfolk out to be bad while "Leatherface" (the killer) is painted somewhat sympathetically.
  12. Feb 10, 2013
    Alot of critics are saying that this movie basically sucks. I thought the movie was overall really well done. The idea of making this a direct sequel to the original 1974 version was a creative idea. There was one big mistake in this movie such as the time gap. In the beginning it recaps the 1974 movie showing all the kills and the main protagonist in that movie barely escaping. Then, theAlot of critics are saying that this movie basically sucks. I thought the movie was overall really well done. The idea of making this a direct sequel to the original 1974 version was a creative idea. There was one big mistake in this movie such as the time gap. In the beginning it recaps the 1974 movie showing all the kills and the main protagonist in that movie barely escaping. Then, the real movie starts when the towns people show up and burn down the house where Leather face lives. Everyone thinks he dies and then the movie skips ahead to twenty years later. Twenty years later would mean that this was taking place in the 1990's. The time frame is shattered though when someone uses an iphone towards the end of the movie though. Basically everyone you expect to die does but not in the ways you expect. Alot of people didn't like one scene where a specific person falls down stairs and gets up and can't exactly run. This person fell down concrete stairs and everyone in the audience of the movie was like "Oh my gosh. Why isn't she running?" well let's see she just ate falling down some concrete stairs. The acting for all the characters was surprisingly good/above average and is probably one of the best horror movies I've seen in about 2 years. I don't recommend this movie to anyone who ever says the original is always better and all that bs. Expand
  13. Mar 17, 2013
    GreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGrGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreat Expand
  14. Oct 30, 2014
    In a post-Saw (that's just "saw", no chains attached) cinematic universe, it's refreshing to see a recent horror film which starts off with a premise which tries in no way, shape or form to be needlessly "clever"...honestly, it takes boldness in this day and age to do a "for God's sake, don't let the monster out of the basement!" movie, and even more balls to make that monster the mightyIn a post-Saw (that's just "saw", no chains attached) cinematic universe, it's refreshing to see a recent horror film which starts off with a premise which tries in no way, shape or form to be needlessly "clever"...honestly, it takes boldness in this day and age to do a "for God's sake, don't let the monster out of the basement!" movie, and even more balls to make that monster the mighty Leatherface. Sure, by the end it all goes completely batpoop-crazy, but it still retains an internal logic - however "nutzoid" - which endings like the first Saw simply fail to have (guy dying of cancer, decides he's going to imitate a CORPSE in a room with two desperate, trapped guys who have access to nasty bladed implements...just so he can give the audience a big, nasty "couldn't see that comin', could ya?" spook at the end? Spare me)...

Look, this movie is mad, but it's hardly "bad" in an incompetent sort of a way, and certainly doesn't fail to deliver the gruesome goods. Is it as good as the Tobe Hooper original? Of course not. NONE of these reboots or sequels ever had ANY chance of achieving such a thing. Have some more popcorn, and enjoy.

1. Reviewed by: William Goss
    Feb 27, 2013
    The most frightening thing about the franchise at this point is that it just keeps on going, undaunted by the characteristics by which the first film made its name. Family is still family and a brand is still a brand, but the blade… well, it’s only grown dull.
    There's nothing thrilling about summarily dispatching everybody who isn't meant to survive to the credits, nothing entertaining about meathook, hatchet and chainsaw murdering that we've seen scores of times.
  3. Reviewed by: Marjorie Baumgarten
    Jan 9, 2013
    Stick around through the credits for an extra closing scene that leaves the door of Heather's new home wide open for a sequel.