7.6

1. RyanO.
    May 13, 2006
    This is a very glossy, snappy picture that delivers practically nothing to its audience. That nothingness is wrapped rather expertly in a glib and glossy package though. I laughed aloud a few times.
  2. DanC.
    Feb 21, 2007
    I'm amazed by all the reviews calling this movie funny, witty, and bitingly satirical. It's incredibly bland and obvious throughout, as are its characters. Nothing subversive or original here. Almost no laughs, not many quiet funny moments, and generally boring as heck. This is 1/100 the satire of a real masterpiece like the South Park movie.
  3. LoisB.
    Mar 18, 2006
    Cute, surface "satire." Some funny bits, but much less here than meets the eye. Too bad, considering the ripe opportunities today. (The last 3 sentences of Maurice F.'s review are lifted directly from Peter Travers' Rolling Stone review. )
  4. ArtP.
    Apr 1, 2006
    Eh....As mediocre as potentially great films get. Good acting, good directing, but the story just didn't feel like it went anywhere. I don't know what else to say about it, pure mediocrity.
  5. ChadS.
    Apr 21, 2006
    "Thank You for Smoking" lacks a moment like the one in "Clerks" when Jason Mewes sells a pack of cigarettes to a little girl. Nick Naylor(Aaron Eckhart) doesn't have to be a caricature of evil like Darth Vader, but we should feel some measure of hatred for him. I think the filmmaker might've introduced Nick's son too early in the game. Being a good father redeems Nick in "Thank You for Smoking" lacks a moment like the one in "Clerks" when Jason Mewes sells a pack of cigarettes to a little girl. Nick Naylor(Aaron Eckhart) doesn't have to be a caricature of evil like Darth Vader, but we should feel some measure of hatred for him. I think the filmmaker might've introduced Nick's son too early in the game. Being a good father redeems Nick in spite of the moral dilemma that is the lobbyist's modus operandi. After his talk with Joey's classmates, he should be in the schoolyard passing out free samples of those candy-flavored cigarettes manufactured by R.J. Reynolds. The tobacco industry isn't especially tactful, so why should a film about them be? "Thank You for Smoking" may not bite hard enough for people who lost loved ones to lung cancer and heart-related diseases. This film would've been perfect for Alexander Payne in his "Citizen Ruth"-mode. Expand
  6. CarlosA.
    Apr 22, 2006
    My wife (ex-smoker going on 10 months) took me to see this, and it promised a whole lot in the first drags, but then it was nothing but filter. The protagonist has no real journey, and the style gets stale soon after. The warning label on this one should read: Real satire should be dangerous to your health, and this one ain't.
  7. JimG.
    Jul 22, 2006
    Satire successfully takes a walk-a-mile-in-my-shoes twist.
  8. Jan 25, 2015
    Lobbyists represent everything that is wrong with our country. Instead of voting for the common good of the people, they are paid in voters and campaign contributions, to vote the way big business wishes them to vote. The result is laws that benefit the few and hurt the many. Thank You For Smoking takes an in depth look at one of these lobbyists, who works for big tobacco. In a satiricalLobbyists represent everything that is wrong with our country. Instead of voting for the common good of the people, they are paid in voters and campaign contributions, to vote the way big business wishes them to vote. The result is laws that benefit the few and hurt the many. Thank You For Smoking takes an in depth look at one of these lobbyists, who works for big tobacco. In a satirical way, the film shows how this man is able to achieve his companies goals through bending the facts, bribery, and out right lying in a way that is completely legal under our system of government. Aaron Eckhart is terrific, which will come as little surprise to many, however the film was anything but. Like most films, Thank You For Smoking has it's moments, but overall the film is one short scene that just repeats it's self over and over again. The situations are different and the players are different, but the arguments and agendas are always the same. After watching two hours of the same thing over and over again, I was more than done with this film. No matter how charismatic the actor may be, the fact is that what lobbyists do isn't terribly interesting. It's one meeting and argument after another and the film just completely runs around in circles. The film was critically acclaimed for Eckhart's performance, but nothing else. Some critics think that one outstanding performance makes a film worth seeing, but I don't. Aaron Eckhart is an outstanding actor, who has been great in many other films that are worth seeing. Thank You For Smoking is nothing more than an insult to the American people, that runs forty minutes too long, and just goes around in circles, it's not something I'd recommend wasting your time on. Expand

Both sides of the political fence will feel royally skewered. All that's lacking is a warning from the Surgeon General: This film will make you laugh till it hurts.
  2. The movie is amusing and clever but only skin deep. It lacks the acidity and rage of a satire such as "Network."
  3. Reviewed by: David Rooney
    Playing a Big Tobacco lobbyist, Aaron Eckhart puts his golden news-anchor good looks and smooth conviction to better use than in any pic since his breakthrough film, "In the Company of Men."