7.6

1. Cables
    Apr 15, 2006
    Lewis obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. This is one of the funniest movies i've seen in ages.
  2. MN.
    Dec 18, 2007
    I saw this movie by chance the other night so I hadn't heard anything about it prior. I loved this film, I consider it one of the best comedies I've seen in ages. Brilliant cast and very clever.
  3. RyanS.
    Mar 13, 2008
    I love this movie... I have been smoking for a year now and I needed to stop badly... Thanks to this movie I quit completely. This movie is great, funny, and has a very clever plot line. 10 STARS!!!!
  4. DannyV
    Aug 15, 2009
    A very sharp film; very original and keeps you guessing. It was nice to see a movie that didn't feel like yet another remake on a popular theme! Kept us thinking and commenting throughout the film! Highly recommended.
  5. MauriceF.
    Mar 17, 2006
    The playing a Big Tobacco lobbyist, Aaron Eckhart puts his golden news-anchor good looks and smooth conviction to better use than in any pic since his breakthrough film, In the Company of Men. I thought that the movie is amusing and clever but only skin deep. It lacks the acidity and rage of a satire such as Network. But both sides of the political fence will feel royally skewered. All The playing a Big Tobacco lobbyist, Aaron Eckhart puts his golden news-anchor good looks and smooth conviction to better use than in any pic since his breakthrough film, In the Company of Men. I thought that the movie is amusing and clever but only skin deep. It lacks the acidity and rage of a satire such as Network. But both sides of the political fence will feel royally skewered. All thats lacking is a warning from the Surgeon General This film will make you laugh till it hurts. Expand
  6. ShlomoS.
    Mar 20, 2006
    Very smart film -- smart like The Onion is smart. The film is libertarian in its view, with excellent inside Hollywood winks. Highly recommended. How the producer David Sacks found this gem of a script is beyond me, but it is great work.
  7. JasonF.
    Mar 26, 2006
    Truy defining the meaning of "enough is enough" this film sets out to compel you, in a very humorous way, into making your own decisions in life and to do away with the "childproof lighter" syndrome. Well written wit and a heavy hitting cast make this movie a "must see".
  8. JimP.
    Mar 29, 2006
    Witty and fresh, this movie had me laughing hard. Great for anyone who has any interest in American politics.
  9. Bluezboy8
    Apr 5, 2006
    It was so refreshing to hear such sharp, intelligent satire delivered superbly by Eckhart, Bright, Bello, and Keochner and supported seamlessly by Lowe, Duvall, Macy and Holmes. I'm going to see this again so I can catch the other half of the laughs I MISSED while laughing so hard.
  10. JenM
    Apr 6, 2006
    This film is the funniest movie I have seen in years -- maybe ever. It's also thought provoking and tender and just about perfect. I loved it!
  11. RonL.
    Apr 10, 2006
    Finally--a delicious comedy for thinking adults. Crisp and witty script, great casting and acting. Even the look of washed-out 50s Technicolor is perfect. Reitman is right on.
  12. LeslieK.
    Apr 16, 2006
    Almost as good as the book, which is saying something.
  13. JohnM.
    Apr 17, 2006
    Right or wrong, you can't argue with the tact and execution of this movie.
  14. JoshuaE.
    Apr 21, 2006
    I laughed for nearly the entire hour and fourty minutes of this film- it was clever, cocky, well-written, sharply edited, and never lagged; it was consistantly humorous and was a real pleasure to watch. Adam Brody and Rob Lowe absolutely owned, and Aaron Eckhardt is very winning and capable. The "endless appeals system" line still cracks me up.
  15. KeriD
    May 10, 2006
    I can't get over this movie. I wish I could give it a 9.5 - I can't give a 10 because I couldn't believe it was ending when it did - I could have watched it for at least 2 more hours. It's worth it to see just for the performance of Cameron Bright as the young son. It's so weird how you end up rooting for him to learn spin from his dad.
  16. JohnL.
    Oct 10, 2006
    Wow what a movie! This was easily one of the best movies I have seen all year It was very smart and that seems to be lacking in movies nowadays...I
  17. AlistairD.
    Oct 15, 2006
    Thought it was going to be funny going into the movie, but it was a lot more interesting than thought it would be whilst still keeping humour
  18. KyleP
    Oct 18, 2006
    Very witty, and very entertaining.
  19. WadeT.
    Oct 20, 2006
    That rare film treat, a brainy, challenging and funny movie that has the courage to challenge conventional thinking. Nick Naylor becomes the most unlikely likeable character as you actually start understanding (and dare I say appreciating) the role his position fills in terms of the public discourse on cigarette smoking. Eckhart's performance probably won't win him an Oscar but That rare film treat, a brainy, challenging and funny movie that has the courage to challenge conventional thinking. Nick Naylor becomes the most unlikely likeable character as you actually start understanding (and dare I say appreciating) the role his position fills in terms of the public discourse on cigarette smoking. Eckhart's performance probably won't win him an Oscar but it deserves to be lauded for its straight forward acceptance of who Naylor is. The end result is a unabashed full presentation of the sometimes ludicrous presentations that are passed for intelligent debate. A must see movie. Expand
  20. JoeyK.
    Dec 31, 2006
    Very funny. It's not your average movie, however. Many of the reviews above make the terrible mistake of assuming that they knew beforehand what the movie was supposed to be like. "It wasn't edgy enough" "It was supposed to satire tobacco more." It isn't a scathing or outrageous movie, but why should it be? This movie is about rhetoric, debate, and point of view. Smoking is Very funny. It's not your average movie, however. Many of the reviews above make the terrible mistake of assuming that they knew beforehand what the movie was supposed to be like. "It wasn't edgy enough" "It was supposed to satire tobacco more." It isn't a scathing or outrageous movie, but why should it be? This movie is about rhetoric, debate, and point of view. Smoking is the setting and an exaggerated liberal stance is the antagonist. That doesn't mean its about those. It's a great movie that is deep enough to get you to think about the way you think, plenty satirical, and it still throws in dozens of unexpected laughs. Highly recommended. Expand
  21. Riren
    Jan 28, 2007
    One of the funniest movies in years, Thank You For Smoking makes its points and pricks everyone with them. Almost every role is immaculately casted, especially the leads, with the actors providing the right doses of sympathy, frustration and venom along the offensively hilarious plot. The tobacco industry's lies and doubletalk are only the premise from which larger-than-life One of the funniest movies in years, Thank You For Smoking makes its points and pricks everyone with them. Almost every role is immaculately casted, especially the leads, with the actors providing the right doses of sympathy, frustration and venom along the offensively hilarious plot. The tobacco industry's lies and doubletalk are only the premise from which larger-than-life characters rise to entertain through surprising exercises in lack of compassion, egomania and the occasional exhibition of real human weakness. Best, Thank You For Smoking doesn't hate anyone involved in its subject matter. Like Kevin Smith's Dogma, it is humanistic enough to entertain, even at the expense of its themes - and this ultimately gregarious notion makes a more profound statement about the treatment of tobacco in modern society than scathing films like Crash do about bigotry. Expand
  22. Mat?ssI.
    Jun 20, 2007
    Tired of the usual crap. than this movie is perfect for you!
  23. Sep 8, 2010
    From 1575 to the present, there have always been those who have opposed the use of tobacco from Mexico to the Ottoman Empire to Bavaria, Kursachsen, and certain parts of Austria in the late 1600s. Some form of Government in some part of the world has always tried to ban or outlaw the use of tobacco. In the 1500s the Catholic Pope Urban VII in particular threatened to excommunicate anyoneFrom 1575 to the present, there have always been those who have opposed the use of tobacco from Mexico to the Ottoman Empire to Bavaria, Kursachsen, and certain parts of Austria in the late 1600s. Some form of Government in some part of the world has always tried to ban or outlaw the use of tobacco. In the 1500s the Catholic Pope Urban VII in particular threatened to excommunicate anyone who "took tobacco in the porchway of or inside a church, whether it be by chewing it, smoking it with a pipe or sniffing it in powdered form through the nose". The Ottoman sultan Murad IV prohibited smoking in his empire in 1633 smoking was also banned in Berlin in 1723, in Königsberg in 1742, and in Stettin in 1744. These bans were repealed in the revolutions of 1848. The first building in the world to have a smoke-free policy was the Old Government Building in Wellington, New Zealand in 1876 this was due to the fact that the building is the second largest wooden building ever constructed and it was out of concern that smoking may cause a fire. From then to now there are groups that fight to have cigarettes removed from gas stations, supermarkets etc. Then there are those who promote Big Tobacco and there products. They lobby s to speak on behalf of some of the worlds most powerful tobacco industries men like Nick Naylor(Aaron Eckhart) the protagonist of Jason Reitman's feature film debut "Thank you for Smoking" where as some people, in Eckhart's biting narration states, "Michael Jordan plays ball, Charles Manson kills people I talk" and indeed he does. "Thank you for not Smoking is not only a dark and searing satire on the anti-smoking issue it is also an intelligent and thought provoking film that asks you to ask yourself and ask others the ideas surrounding the big tobacco business and there so called merchants of death. However, ask yourself this, is it truly right to take away a persons right to smoke? Jason Reitman's feature film debut "Thank you for Smoking" is a cynical, searing, hilarious, and thought provoking look into the world of politics and the men and women who occupy the seats on both sides of the table, so to speak. Reitman(Son of veteran director Ivan Reitman) adapted screenplay from Christopher Buckley's 1994 satirical novel of the same name is a film that is as intelligent as it is biting this film is a deeply funny look at how one man(Aaron Eckhart) seeks to promote cigarettes. Reitman shows he has a real true talent for writing and directing, something his father Ivan lacks. Reitman is an intelligent director and an even more intelligent writer he knows how to flesh out each and every character at there duly appointed time he knows how to write smart, engaging, thought provoking dialogue and cheerfully offensive dialogue that makes you laugh as well as think. Satire is a tricky territory and Reitman is a genius when it comes to this tricky territory he knows how to play out the ideals on the anti-smoking issue to its full extent while still maintaining a strong sense of humor and political reason all the while the audiences is sitting there thinking and laughing . As it should be "Thank you for Smoking" targets two specific audiences the political opinionated and everyone else those who have strong political opinions(much like me) will either love this film, hate this film, or just downright despises it(I know some politicians who would really dislike this film). For those who are not politically opinionated will love this film in its entirety with its Delightfully unscrupulous characters, witty and intelligent dialogue and abundance of laughs this is the right ticket for anyone who likes to see people make fun of other people make fun of the people who run the country. I love this film, I love everything about this film I love the characters, the cynical sense of humor and the gloriously unscrupulous cynicism that this film unleashes on the anti- smoking issue. "Thank you for Smoking" is one of the best political satires I have seen since Stanley Kubrickâ Expand
  24. Sep 10, 2012
    Film satire at its best. Jason Reitman's debut is even better than the hilarious 'Juno' and 'Up In The Air'. An Oscar for the best adapted screnplay would've definitely been appropriate. Great cast till the supporting actors and a score that accompanies the film in an very exhilarant way. 'Thank You For Smoking' is a great film about business and life starring an really cool Aaron EckhartFilm satire at its best. Jason Reitman's debut is even better than the hilarious 'Juno' and 'Up In The Air'. An Oscar for the best adapted screnplay would've definitely been appropriate. Great cast till the supporting actors and a score that accompanies the film in an very exhilarant way. 'Thank You For Smoking' is a great film about business and life starring an really cool Aaron Eckhart as the main actor. Definitely worth to see if you liked films like 'Up In The Air'! Collapse
  25. Aug 25, 2014
    With an incredible debut, Jason Reitman proves his place amongst today's acclaimed filmmakers. Thank You for Smoking is clever and sly on all accounts. No matter what side you're on, you won't regret partaking in the dispute.

Both sides of the political fence will feel royally skewered. All that's lacking is a warning from the Surgeon General: This film will make you laugh till it hurts.
  2. The movie is amusing and clever but only skin deep. It lacks the acidity and rage of a satire such as "Network."
  3. Reviewed by: David Rooney
    Playing a Big Tobacco lobbyist, Aaron Eckhart puts his golden news-anchor good looks and smooth conviction to better use than in any pic since his breakthrough film, "In the Company of Men."