6.6

1. Dec 22, 2013
    I have attended Sex Addict's Anonymous and Sex and Love Addict's Anonymous meetings. As someone who has been in those rooms, as uncomfortable as it is to admit and as it is to be there, I can say for sure that this movie was made for and by people who understand "the disease." People are critical of the film on grounds of things like plot progression, characterization, acting, soundtrack etc. That, to me, is a waste of review. The real questions viewers should ask is:

-What is sex addiction? Why has our society come to believe there is a such thing?
    -Are 12 step programs helpful for people who identify as sex addicts?
    -What causes people to "act out" impulsively in sexual/romantic ways?
    -What is the relationship between addiction and free will?

These kinds of deeper questions get touched on in the film in a funny and fun, dramatic way. I resent some of the bad reviews. I think people were mostly uncomfortable with the component of addiction and how everyone SHOULD be able to relate, as we all have our compulsions in our own ways. And we all know some creepy "sex addict" types in our lives. The film SHOULD speak to everyone on some deep level, but people are too caught up in wanting a non-formulaic, ground-breaking film that, what, breaks all the rules and offers something new and exciting to the genre of dramatic comedy. What boring expectations for film watching. Why not be more introspective and see how you can relate and what you can learn from it. You'll never get a film anything like this. They're not going to keep making films about 12 step programs for people with sexual compulsion problems.
  2. Apr 4, 2014
    It's not Apocalypse Now but it is actually a very insightful movie with great performances and every note rings true. I really loved this movie. Give it a shot.
  3. Jan 9, 2014
    This is funny but it also depicts struggles with addiction honestly and with a strong feel of realism. The acting in this film is well done including a surprise performance from Pink. A-
  4. Sep 23, 2013
    I liked this movie alot, I thought it was funny while at the same time being realistic to the struggles people deal with in sex addiction and what the recovery process looks like. Mark Ruffalo plays it genuinely and understatedly, I think Gwyneth Paltrow as Phoebe was my favorite, there are some very racey scenes with her and Mark.
  5. Oct 2, 2013
    There is a lot to like about this movie. Great performances by Mark Ruffalo, Tim Robbins, Josh Gad and Pink put a very human face on the different stages of dealing with the the real life tragedy of sex and love addiction. I consider this a wonderful "feel good" movie that has a broad range of emotions both comic and tragic and the producers took a big risk to focus on a subject matter sex and love addiction that is likely to make a portion of the movie going audience to uncomfortable. I wish this movie well.

There is a lot to laugh about in this movie but this movie is more than a comedy. There is plenty of drama in this movie also, and I found myself alternately laughing and crying as I found myself connecting and caring about the characters and hoping for good outcomes.

Joely Richardson plays Monica, the long suffering wife of Mike (Tim Robbins), a alcoholic/sex addict with 15 years of "sobriety" and unfortunately, there is not enough time in a 2 hour movie to flesh out her character. Clearly Mike (Tim Robbins) has made his life of recovery a big part of his life what is sometimes called a "bleeding deacon" and the relationship between Monica (Joely Richardson) and Mike seems harmonious until their addict son Danny (Patrick Fugit) returns home and the tension between a Mom and Dad dealing with their out of control son takes it's toll.

Enter Adam (Mark Ruffalo), a sex addict with 5 years of sobriety who is "sponsored" by Mike and ready to start dating again after choosing total abstinence to get his addiction under control. The great lengths Adam goes to in achieving sobriety seems rather ridiculous unless you realize the powerful nature of addiction, which is the subject of a later portion of the movie and some of Ruffalo's best work you feel his pain. Enter Phoebe (Gyneth Paltrow) as Adam's new love interest. Phoebe is a cancer survivor who has a compulsive relationship with food and fitness and the primary focus of their growing love centers on Adam's deep fear about revealing his history of addiction and losing Phoebe. The movie made me care about Adam and Phoebe both, hoping for a good outcome and a happy ending. I credit the writer's for taking us on some unexpected twists and turns that serve to highlight the reality of the disease of sex and love addiction.

Josh Gad is the comic relief in the move His character Neil is a young ER Doctor in the early stages of recovery from sex addiction and the movie takes a sympathetic look at the challenges and slips of making big changes in life to achieve sobriety. Neil is like a lot of sex addicts in early recovery, not taking it seriously until his addiction costs him his job. Pink is a scene stealer as Dede, a female sex addict also going through the torment of early recovery from sex and love addiction...yes, it happens to females too. The growing friendship between Neil and Dede is another element where you really care how things will turn out.

OK the movie is far from perfect. Some might see the Paltrow character as shallow but that is the point she is a total control freak, dealing with her own demons and the attraction between Adam and Phoebe makes sense as they are both finding a mirror into dealing with their own issues. Will they stay or will they run?

The drama and tension around Mike, Monica and Danny seems somewhat contrived and I attribute that to the movie choosing to deal with deep topics and attempting to wrap things up in less then 2 hours.

So yes, I like this movie. I like this movie a lot. I will confess my bias I am a sex and love addiction professional and my only stake in this is that I hope the movie will succeed enough that it will allow others in the movie industry to take risks like this to entertain and educate us in the sense that the movie handles this controversial movie topic with sympathy, humor and accuracy in depicting the disease and the road to recovery.

And, at the end of the day, I left this movie entertained. I laughed...a lot....I got choked up and cried. I applauded endings that were not totally cliche and yet, offered hope for a brighter tomorrow.

Go see this movie. Go see this movie with someone you love and care about. It will open you up and make you feel....
  6. Lyn
    Oct 31, 2014
    Some subjects are a natural for a "relatable" movie, but sexual addiction isn't one of them. While "Shame" took a graphic, disturbing approach and "Don Jon" went for laughs, this one aims for a middle ground of angst plus lots of ensemble-cast melodrama that educates us on the travails of this "disease." (As they refer to it; maybe "disorder" would be more accurate?) Mark Ruffalo is never bad, and I also rooted for the hapless dweeby doctor, but Tim Robbins's character is creepy throughout. Pink is great; very natural. I think there are some insights here about the nature of addiction, but you may feel things are resolved a little too neatly. Expand
  7. Sep 23, 2013
    The trailer for this film is one of the most misleading in recent memory. It looks like a smart comedy about sex addiction. Bit the ONLY amusing scenes are in that trailer. The rest of this film is all drama, as it follows 4 addicts (Mark Ruffalo, Tim Robbins, Josh Gad & Pink) in various stages of recovery. They struggle with each other and their personal relationships in predictable patterns. The performances are strong (Pink was a revelation), which makes the rather pedestrian script a bit more bearable. Still, this almost feels like a "recruitment video" examination of the addiction. Expand
  8. Sep 24, 2013
    “Thanks For Sharing” is a film about addiction--sex addiction. When the film opens we meet Adam (Mark Ruffalo) who has 5 years of recovery, his sponsor Mike (Tim Robbins) and Neil (Josh Gad) who is court ordered to attend the sessions but doesn’t take it seriously until he loses his job as an ER medic. Neil has problems with his mother Roberta (Carol Kane), while Mike’s son, Danny, (Patrick Fugit) was a drug addict who was treated badly by his father when he was young and Mike’s wife, Monica (Joely Richardson) has learned how to deal with her husband’s problems by concentrating on herself.

The film revolves around three couples from the long married Mike and Monica to Adam ready to have his long purposely delayed sexual experience after meeting Phoebe (Gwyneth Paltrow) and the friendship between Neil and Dede (Alecia Moore aka Pink), the latter wilder than any of the men.

As in any film about addiction there are victories and defeats though in “Thanks For Sharing” there are more of the former. The scenes involving Tim Robbins, Joely Richardson and Patrick Fugit, especially those between the two men, are full of electric. Josh Gad and Alecia Moore offer the comedy relief with both doing excellent work. The first scene of Ruffalo with his shirt off brings back the 50s and 60s when actors like William Holden has to shave their chests of all hair--obviously that rule doesn’t apply anymore.

Ruffalo gives a warm, sensitive performance while Paltrow, as a cancer survivor, comes across as cold and unfeeling with the role begging for a warm, girl next door actress. By the way the film Academy may have to give an Oscar for the actress who gives the best lap dance and strip show if there are any more in addition to Paltrow here and Jennifer Aniston in “We’re The Millers”--right now Aniston wins!

With a screenplay by Stuart Blumberg, who also directed, and Matt Winston, “Thanks For Sharing” really doesn’t bring anything new to an addiction story except here it is about sex instead of drugs and/or alcohol so there are more sexual situations shown. Mark Ruffalo, Tim Robbins, Josh Gad, Patrick Fugit and Alecia Moore all do excellent work and hold your interest as does the photography of New York City by Yaron Orbach.
  9. Jul 3, 2014
    A comedy-drama set in the backdrop of a group therapy. From there the narration derives multiple direction with the multiple character's story. Looks like a television movie, in the end a better implementation in every aspect escorted to the silver screen.

It mainly centralizes the stories of three people, Adam, Niel are the sex addicts and Mike who is an alcoholic. These are the
    friends through the group session they attend. They are desperate to recover from their addiction. The change needs a strong support and that is what the movie describes theirs solution discovery through another person. Theirs self control is tested once they are in the healing process. How far it lasts and do they come out of it is revealed at the end of the movie.

‘‘United, we stand.
    Divided, we stagger.’’

It was good written story having multiple lead characters. All of the three were expressed on the screen effectively. The turn out between what we see in the opening few minutes and the end few minutes was remarkably achieved. Because we won't expect characters to transform quickly and convincingly, which kind of inspires you know. The setback was the second stream characters had not brought in a right way. Phoebe, Dede and Danny just appear on the screen without the proper reasons. Simply bothered me, but many people won't mind that. What matters is that how everything going to advance and ends.

Great performances almost by all. Gwyneth Paltrow was so pretty and attractive, I never ever thought she can seduce like this. Surprisingly, Pink delivered best out of her that I was not expecting. A movie worth to take a loot at it. All the humors were handled by Neil, the romance from Adam and family drama from Mike. So it was well balanced ingredients to laud the outcome moral message about the principles to adapt in our lifestyle. The movie worked for me, so it may to you as well only if you give it a try.
  10. Nov 11, 2013
    In one of the many meetings showcased in the film Thanks For Sharing, one recovering addict describes their sex addiction as “trying to quit crack, while the pipe is still attached to your body”. Though I have never personally experienced, nor have I had the experience of meeting an openly admitted sex addict, I’m sure many young people today wouldn’t see it as a ‘disease’ as described in the movie, but perhaps more of a blessing.

The last time the subject of sex addiction and the portrait of a nymphomaniac was explored was Brandon in Steve McQueen’s intolerably alluring Shame. There is no doubt that Shame is the better of the two films, exploring a darker, grittier and more unabridged account of a sex-feinding businessman.

Thanks For Sharing, shortly following its fade to black, will spark conversations about what the film did well and why. The film is a very interesting and real take on a subject that I, along with many people I’m sure, have little or no knowledge about.

The film follows three generations of sex addicts; Mike (Tim Robbins) a husband, father and recovering alcoholic who acts as the sole patriarch of the strenuous twelve step program; Adam (Mark Ruffalo) a handsome businessman who is just celebrating his five year sobriety milestone; and Neil (Josh Gad), a doctor who has recently started attending the meetings, using it as a platform for free bagels with no real intent to recognize his addiction. As the progress (or lack there of) of each recovering addict takes a balanced and healthy routine, Mike, Adam and Neil all experience a major shift in their habits when a new person decides to enter each one of their lives.

The best part of Thanks For Sharing are these new additions that create a large wave of ripples in each of the sex addict’s lives and allow for the most potential of the narrative and character study’s to shine. For Mike, his world is turned upside down when his estranged, drug-addict son Danny (Patrick Fugit) returns home after fleeing the home years previous with his mother’s jewelry (Joely Richardson) to score some crack. From the moment Danny walks through the door, we question his sobriety and whether or not he was really able to rehabilitate himself, without the help of meetings and others, a technique his father swears by. For Adam, the new entry in his life is Phoebe (Gwyneth Paltrow), a sexy, racy health freak with issues of self-confidence and a past of her own. Phoebe reintroduces Adam to a lusty, freaky world of pleasure that he is hesitant to embrace. For Neil, whose amateur sex issues present the biggest problems of the film since they are so new, meets Dede (Alecia Moore or most famously known as pop-sensation P!nk) a sex-crazed, ticking time bomb who’s thoughtless decisions and dark sexual past gives purpose and hope for Neil, the ultimate sexual daydreaming wanderer.

There are some dark moments in Thanks For Sharing, as well as an abundance of feel-good, genuinely hysterical dialogues between characters, touched with instances of heavy drama. The film itself is a tonal misfire with some of the worst music composition and manipulative soundtrack decisions that takes you completely out of the amped up cinematic drama.

Initially released at the Toronto International Film Festival in 2012, it’s quite apparent why the film has failed to find an audience. Regardless of its talented cast line-up, Thanks For Sharing is like unsatisfying foreplay; arousing and promising, although by the end, leaves you soft and hungry for more. The R-rating, along with the mis-marketed/non-glamourized look at the sticky subject through the trailer, and the grim direction that the film almost unexpectedly veers at times, really confuses moviegoers whose reaction can be described as nothing less than cinematic blue balls.

The film does delve into familiar territory; Strong family-drama, unconventional love story, and unformulaic buddy/comedy, Thanks For Sharing seems to share its worth of knowledge of genres. Unfortunately, the interesting questions and scenarios that the film presents get lost in the quest for a real identity. The film will present some interesting questions once audiences leave the theatre, but for the most part, the underlining question that will overshadow all other questions will be whether or not you like the film itself.
  11. Oct 8, 2013
    extremely disappointed in this film, eagerly awaited for, first off every cinema near by only had one showing of it a day, which says it all, cinemas had no faith in it, secondly on walking into the screening there was only three people inside this being the 2nd showing upon its release, so a total of five people including myself and my partner, later to discover the only reason we were even watching it, was for P!nk. the best part was the end, wasn't funny badly scripted and no story line whatsoever, how rubbish it was, was laughable. its wont be out long. Expand
  12. Sep 20, 2014
    " Funny , Intimate , real, amazing effort from Writer Director Staurt Blumberg ". Mark Ruffalo stars again in another movie with the co writer " The Kids are All Right " Written & Directed by Stuart Blumberg. thanks for sharing has a great cast , wonderful performances by Mr. Ruffalo , Paltrow , Tim Robbins ( which i do not know who he is.) , with Josh Gad and Alicea Moore ( which is know as pink ) They all have intimate , relationships on the screen thats what i love about this movie ( even though i am not a sex addict which i know blumberg decidated this film to but i still enjoy it ). Grade A+ Expand

1. Reviewed by: Liam Lacey
    Oct 17, 2013
    Thanks for Sharing might best be described as being like Steve McQueen’s sex-addiction drama, "Shame," if it were rewritten by Neil Simon at his most schmaltzy.
  2. Reviewed by: Kate Stables
    Oct 5, 2013
    Despite Gwynnie and her lingerie-clad lap-dancing, this sober, issue-based dramedy is preachy and a tad soapy, rather than provocative. Fine acting, though.
  3. Reviewed by: Robbie Collin
    Oct 4, 2013
    Tonally the film is all over the rink, but it leaves you more convinced and entertained than you’d expect.