7.9

1. MattP.
    Aug 21, 2005
    You have to embrace this movie's inventive crudeness in order to enjoy it. Otherwise you'll end up hating it just like you hated other (great) crude movies. The Big Lebowski comes to mind. But once you get past the numerous penis jokes, The 40-Year Old Virgin is a very sweet, realistic, and hilarious take on the dating world. Steve Carell has more depth and range than I would You have to embrace this movie's inventive crudeness in order to enjoy it. Otherwise you'll end up hating it just like you hated other (great) crude movies. The Big Lebowski comes to mind. But once you get past the numerous penis jokes, The 40-Year Old Virgin is a very sweet, realistic, and hilarious take on the dating world. Steve Carell has more depth and range than I would have ever expected, and yet he never loses the off-the-wall comedic delivery he's deservedly famous for. Definitely the most fun movie I've seen this summer. Expand
  2. Feb 6, 2012
    Solid movie with some laughs, but not really much more. It's all about his virginaty and that's funny for some time but does not last until the end of the movie... Steve Carrell did a good job. I think without him this movie would be even more boring by time. Co-Cast was good as well only the storyline was to weak to stand the 90 minutes.
  3. Rev.Rikard
    Oct 8, 2005
    The funniest movie in two years! Steve Carell is the new Steve Martin. He can just stand in place and cause one to chuckle. Though the male friends in this movie appear as adult adolescents, there is enough truth in their characters to reveal the sorry socialization process through which American men must pass. Sex is the most important issue in our lives because many, if not most of us The funniest movie in two years! Steve Carell is the new Steve Martin. He can just stand in place and cause one to chuckle. Though the male friends in this movie appear as adult adolescents, there is enough truth in their characters to reveal the sorry socialization process through which American men must pass. Sex is the most important issue in our lives because many, if not most of us were raised to believe this falllacy. As an American male I easily identified with Carell's character, If we were all gut-level honest we would admit that we desire genuine love more than anything. However, his male friends/counselors allow us to see the ridiculous perceptiions that would make being a forty year old virgin the most dispicable state in which a man can find himself. My spouse laughed as heartily as myself because she recognized that very truth pulsating from these exaggerated characters. This film is more than a comedy about a man finally trying "to get some." It is a disarming film that allows American males to laugh at our sad condition. Expand
  4. mitchm.
    Jan 2, 2006
    One laugh. Nuff said. (and that one was the already well-rehearsed chest waxing scene, which we'd all seen in trailers for month preceding) My expectations were admittedly high, and this sad flick dashed them to pieces. I could barely sit through it.
  5. alg.
    Dec 30, 2005
    I laughed once.
  6. Mar 31, 2011
    The movie skillfully depicts the only thing that is on a man's mind, from birth to death. I can see that women find that offensive. As a matter of fact, if women could be men just for one day, they would be shocked. That is how dull the average man's life is.
  7. TalmadgeW.
    Sep 2, 2006
    Mind you, I am far from a prude but I thought this movie was in very bad taste, offensive to both sexes, dull most of the way through. I don't know people who use that kind of language or who are totally sex driven. I am extremely concerned that so many people raved about it. Where is our society going? What kind of person would write such trash?
  8. WilliamH.
    Jan 1, 2006
    Sophomoric, 8th grade sexual humor. A movie made for sexual babies.
  9. KennyM.
    Jan 6, 2006
    This film, which had a great theme and amazing potentially was extremely dissapointing. The vulgarity was sickening and made me feel uncomfortable it was so bad at points. The only light in the dark was Steve Carell, in all his glory. He was excellent and I only wish the rest of the movie was as energentic as he was. My only other complaint was that the movie dragged on FOREVER!!! How This film, which had a great theme and amazing potentially was extremely dissapointing. The vulgarity was sickening and made me feel uncomfortable it was so bad at points. The only light in the dark was Steve Carell, in all his glory. He was excellent and I only wish the rest of the movie was as energentic as he was. My only other complaint was that the movie dragged on FOREVER!!! How many times were they going to delay the inevitable ending???? Expand
  10. LuigiDK
    Oct 21, 2005
    The movie deserves a 1, but felt a higher 'fake' score would draw more attention. This is a movie for immature teens - but its overall subject theme and gutter-level humor make it inappropriate for any age group. The fact that critics provided any positive reviews is alarming to the point that where I've always taken reviews as a guidleine at best - any critic who The movie deserves a 1, but felt a higher 'fake' score would draw more attention. This is a movie for immature teens - but its overall subject theme and gutter-level humor make it inappropriate for any age group. The fact that critics provided any positive reviews is alarming to the point that where I've always taken reviews as a guidleine at best - any critic who didn't despise this film has lost all credibility. Not to mention the fact that our society could possilbe enjoy this crap. Expand
  11. DW
    Oct 7, 2005
    I feel the need to be the lone, non-prudish voice to say that I felt this movie to be a total stinker. Rankness, that's fine, stupid humor, OK; I can even go along with a movie that looks like it was shot for the most part in a warehouse; but a lead character who switches from nebbish innocence to foul-mouthed smart-ass just to serve the joke of the moment undercuts character and I feel the need to be the lone, non-prudish voice to say that I felt this movie to be a total stinker. Rankness, that's fine, stupid humor, OK; I can even go along with a movie that looks like it was shot for the most part in a warehouse; but a lead character who switches from nebbish innocence to foul-mouthed smart-ass just to serve the joke of the moment undercuts character and wipes out the whole thing for me. Didn't it bother all the people who thought this movie was so sweet to have a scene where a strange man enters a young woman's bathroom while she's in the bathtub, and lasiviously remove his shirt in a way that could only portend to her (slutty or not) the beginning of a rape? Expand
  12. LenB.
    Dec 16, 2005
    What a disgusting movie! If this is what our young adults enjoy and think is funny, our country is in more trouble than I thought.
  13. DaveF.
    Sep 28, 2005
    Totally tasteless, fal-out-of-your-chair-laughing humor from start to finish.
  14. TravisC.
    Jul 18, 2006
    I could not, for the life of me, understand how anyone thought this movie was even average, much less ABOVE average. The "jokes" were stale, the characters uninteresting and unfunny, and this one-trick pony shot its wad way too early.
  15. JohnH.
    Aug 25, 2005
    Definitely one of the funniest comedies i've seen in a long time! Strongly recommended. A fun date movie too!
  16. Apr 2, 2014
    Judd Apatows comedy is worth watching this one is okay . Steve carell is a gay **** thats a fact . and his role was sad in this film but Apatow's comedy is something to enjoy . Grade C+
  17. JaneJ.
    Oct 8, 2005
    My best friend and I (both women) went to see this last night. Let me tell you the theatre was rolling in laughter. Some parts had me crying from laughing so hard. It just really had us all laughing in the theatre. I am taking my husband next week!
  18. LauraM.
    Aug 18, 2005
    Without Carrell at the soft chewy center this film would be just crass. Very smart juvenile humor. An intelligent penis joke.
  19. CharlieM.
    Aug 20, 2005
    This is the best comedy to come out of Hollywood in years. It was so refreshing to go to the movies and see an original, fresh, laugh 'till you cry flick. Hopefully it will start a trend that will show the studios you don't need one dimensional, seen them once you've seen them 100 times, actors like Vince, Luke and Will to make a comedy a hit. Great stuff!
  20. BARRYW.,jr.
    Aug 20, 2005
    Great movie...lots of fun.sweet, raunchy,crude,and hilarious...truly a good laugh a minute.
  21. ShirleyH.
    Aug 20, 2005
    HYSTERICAL!!! One of the few comedies in recent years surprisingly not reuined by the trailer! Even the chest-waxing scene remains hilarious despite seeing clips of it in the trailer & commercials for weeks!
  22. Matt
    Sep 1, 2005
    Funniest movie in years!!! If you like raunchy, but sweet comedy get out of your seat and go see this movie!!
  23. Rizza
    Sep 5, 2005
    Alessandra... Learn to take a joke... Sorry to say, but guys DO talk like this when they get together. You
  24. Roy
    Sep 5, 2005
    I haven't had as many down to the bone laughs as I got in this movie in many years. Some extremely funny stuff and I loved the parody of The Exorcist. I found Andy's love interest to not be a very good actress and as the end of the movie shifts over to their relationship, it loses pacing. The first half is a 10 however.
  25. EdM.
    Sep 6, 2005
    I almost s... myself from laughing so hard!
  26. Judy
    Funny!!!!
  27. Tonydannie
    Jan 11, 2006
    I rented this thinking that I would be laughing my butt off. It was funny but not Laugh out loud funny. Was I Dissapointed? Maybe Little. But I think this one was Alot funnier then "Wedding Crashers."
  28. JeremyW.
    Jan 2, 2006
    A must have in anyones DVD collection that likes comedy. I was shocked on how funny this movie was. I would not pass this one up at all.
  29. RonL.
    Jan 30, 2006
    Worth a rental on a Saturday afternoon. Good fun. Not as good as Something About Mary or The Wedding Singer but in that vien - except cruder.
  30. karamh.
    Jan 4, 2006
    It is a very nice movie.
  31. hootersm.
    Nov 10, 2005
    Hoot hoot hoot hoot hoot.
  32. MikeS.
    Dec 30, 2005
    While generally humorous, the humor was brought down several notches by the never-ceasing vulgarity. It really didn't need so many F* words to be successful.
  33. WallyS.
    Dec 6, 2005
    One of the years most funniest films, Steve Carrell reveals himself capable of being the next Jim Carrey, and capable enough of choosing the right script, nailed by the right director.
  34. Alex
    Oct 4, 2005
    Very funny, had some very funny scenes.
  35. DevynS.
    Aug 19, 2005
    This Movie was very Humorous, I actually had tears coming out of my eyes at one point (laughing so hard). Steve Carell is very funny. If you Liked and Laughed at" The Wedding Crashers" you will like this movie ...Actually you might laugh at this one a bit more !
  36. MarkO.
    Aug 20, 2005
    Everything you'd expect from Steve Carrell and Judd Apatow and so much more! Of course it's hilarious, but this film also provides excellent character development and a strong storyline that even non-virgins can relate to.
  37. MichaelD.
    Aug 21, 2005
    Carrell is the next Will Farrell in terms of his comic niche that blossoms into a beautiful, crass, romantic, sincere and damn funny performance in this movie. I'd recommend it to anyone, period.
  38. HaslynR.
    Aug 23, 2005
    One of the funniest movies that I have seen in a long time. It's a clever, smart sex comedy which contains plausible characters and situations that are real . I think its much funnier and better written than Wedding Crashers.
  39. JohnK.
    Aug 25, 2005
    If Sheila would have stuck around, she would have noticed that though the film is crude, it turns beautiful somewhere in the middle, and both the moral message and the tone of the movie are spectacularly sweeter than you can think from the "American Pie"-ish previews.
  40. NicR.
    Aug 26, 2005
    Best film every......and it has also given me the confidence to go out with a girl now as i am aslo a 40 year old virgin.
  41. Danb.
    Top-notch character study.
  42. MareD.
    Aug 26, 2005
    Steve Carrell has the best comic timing. I loved the characters. Good flick!
  43. MatthewP.
    Aug 27, 2005
    Best comedy of the year!
  44. Christy
    Aug 27, 2005
    DISGUSTING. It is sad that people can accept a movie like this as humor. Where have people's morals gone? This movie sent so many horrible messages to young people (& i'm only 24!)
  45. AlanD.
    Aug 30, 2005
    I laughed from beginning to end. If you gave this movie anything less than a seven you are a dull, lifeless being destined for a life of fear and paranoia.
  46. ScottB
    Sep 1, 2005
    Absolutely hilarious. Haven't laughed this much at a movie in a long time. I thought Ebert's review was right on the mark - you ended up being engaged by and caring for Steve Carell's (who was a surprisingly good actor) character.
  47. JimG.
    Sep 10, 2005
    A solid laugh, this movie was maybe even worth seeing twice in the theater. But I'm still not sure whether that the very funny parts make it a great movie, or whether it is just a relief to find something of quality in the otherwise bleak offerings of Summer 2005.
  48. Jenny
    Sep 2, 2005
    Absolutely hilarious.
  49. Ricky
    Sep 5, 2005
    I found this movie extremely funny from a guy's point of view. My date wanted to walk out and thus the five rating. This is the opposite of a chick flick in that guys will love it and women hate it. My advice is for the guys go by yourself or with your buddies. We can relate as this is a guy thing, but women will be repulsed even though it is a sweet comedy. Great music.
  50. MarkB.
    Sep 7, 2005
    Okay, what have we learned from this summer's box office returns? If your movie involves Batman, Darth Vader or penguins, it'll make money; if it's another big, loud, expensive action movie from a director who's known for big, loud expensive action movies, it won't. Best of all, and especially after years of hypocritical, offensive PG-13 fodder like Meet the Okay, what have we learned from this summer's box office returns? If your movie involves Batman, Darth Vader or penguins, it'll make money; if it's another big, loud, expensive action movie from a director who's known for big, loud expensive action movies, it won't. Best of all, and especially after years of hypocritical, offensive PG-13 fodder like Meet the Fockers, the summer of '05 brought with it the return of the honest, R-rated film comedy! It's also extremely interesting to note that while so many female-oriented romcoms, such as Must Love Dogs, The Wedding Date and Little Black Book are rather mean-spirited celebrations of human behavior at its self-centered worst, both Wedding Crashers and The 40-Year-Old Virgin--raunchcoms aimed at a primarily male audience--are genuinely goodhearted, sweet-natured and truly romantic at the core. (Perhaps this is why so many women are flocking to them, too.) Steve Carell, who was memorable in supporting roles in Anchorman and Bruce Almighty, has a bottled-up, Rain Man-like quality that suits him perfectly for the role of Andy, the title character who has missed many sexual opportunities, doesn't feel he'll get any more, and channels his abundant excess energies into video games, comic books and action-figure collecting. (Can you say "sublimation", kids?) It's a real tribute to Carell's and director Judd Apatow's script that, even though it deals in every stereotypical notion of this type of character possible (the only element missing is a fanaticism for either Star Wars or Star Trek, and I'm sure that's only because Lucasfilm and Paramount probably, and perhaps wisely, denied the rights), it also makes Andy refreshingly three-dimensional, appealing and tremendously sympathetic. In fact, the movie's generosity extends to ALL the major characters; it has a lot of fun with Andy's workplace pals, his horny supervisor and numerous potential hookups, but never takes cheap shots at them the way certain comedies revel in doing. (Yes, Rob Schneider, I'm talking to you.) In fact, a major thematic truth in this movie is that everyone in it has, like Andy, been seriously injured in the game of love; Apatow puts Lionel Richie's "Hello" and Asia's "Heat of the Moment" to great use, but could have just as appropriately added REM's "Everybody Hurts" to the soundtrack. Whoever thought of casting Catherine Keener as Trish, the around-the-block free spirit who could complete Andy emotionally as well as sexually, is a genius. I've always admired Keener's witheringly sarcastic persona in movies like Being John Malkovich, but this change of pace role looks great on her; the woman's smile could've lit up all of New York City during the 1965 blackout. The Greek chorus of Andy's coworkers (Paul Rudd, Seth Rogen, Romany Malco) is terrific too: endeavoring to "fix" their new friend, they provide the perfect working illustration of "the blind leading the blind"; Andy may be totally ignorant as to the mysteries of a woman's body, but these guys are equally clueless as to her mind and heart. Lest I mislead you into thinking that a mainstream movie with this much intelligence and insight can't possibly be funny too, let me assure you that Virgin grabs you from the first, unforgettable early-morning visual gag, breaks into ramming speed (so to speak) during Rogen's monologue about what he did in Mexico over the weekend, and absolutely never slows down. And Apatow's enthusiasm for loading the fringes of his film with wonderful, peripheral characters and situations (Andy's upstairs neighbors, a lovely bit in Trish's store involving a customer and a pair of disco boots) guarantees The 40-Year-Old Virgin to be one of those experiences that you, like Andy, will enjoy even more the second time! Expand
  51. SteveW.
    Jan 11, 2006
    Absolute crap. Writers must have taken 10 minutes to write this plot. Lets see how many times we can use the F-word. Disappointing.
  52. ZackL.
    Jan 20, 2006
    This movie is ridiculous. But it is so funny and shows a tad bit of charm, that you cant help but feel a certain emotion for this film.
  53. DeWayneP.
    Jan 6, 2006
    This is one of the worst films I have ever seen...any positive comedic value you get from this movie has more to do with your intellectual level and bad taste.
  54. jannef.
    Jan 7, 2006
    It´s a bizzare movie, and i love bizzare.
  55. JeremyM.
    Apr 3, 2006
    this movie was awsome and very funny it kept you laughing and enjoying every minute yes i would say its not for everyone because there are some vulgar statements but I liked it and so did my family i never thought it was going to be as good as it was but i was wrong i love the movie.
  56. RandyM.
    Aug 29, 2006
    The 40 Year Old Virgin is utterly laugh out loud hilarious. Filled with some very clever comedy and a great main character, The 40 Year Old Virgin is the comedy to beat all comedies.
  57. TylerG.
    Jun 2, 2007
    Perfect, perfectly written, perfectly acted, everything about this movie was absolutely perfect. the jokes were clever, the story could have easily been just a teen flick to laugh at it's dirty jokes, but it turned out to be so much more than that. Great job Judd, keep em' comin
  58. KevinJ
    Aug 2, 2007
    I really could have enjoyed this movie if I hadn't watched it with my parents. It was too sexually profane to watch with parents. I got that i-shouldn't-be-doing-this feeling the whole way through this movie...until the ending of course. My parents never gave me the "birds and bees" talk. I had to find that stuff out through porn (the best way to learn). It was a funny movie I really could have enjoyed this movie if I hadn't watched it with my parents. It was too sexually profane to watch with parents. I got that i-shouldn't-be-doing-this feeling the whole way through this movie...until the ending of course. My parents never gave me the "birds and bees" talk. I had to find that stuff out through porn (the best way to learn). It was a funny movie that does, in fact, express a good point: today's society pressures people so much to lose their virginity. You see this in movies and t.v. shows constantly. Life isn't all about sex: the creating of it is, but the living of it isn't. Expand
  59. MikeG.
    Nov 12, 2005
    Not the funniest comedy ever, but a lot of laughs, a star-making turn by Carell, and an excellent supporting cast. The movie is winning, though, because its all heart in the end, avoiding the easy way out of using the title character as a never ending gimmick. There are some scenes in this movie that people will be quoting and talking about for years.
  60. CherS.
    Nov 4, 2005
    A hoot! And - who doesn't need a real hoot now and again? If you want to lay down the problems at hand, and just laugh and relax your mind, don't miss this funny story!
  61. PierreL.
    Nov 8, 2005
    Great performances, very well written, and funny at all time!
  62. TrentS.
    Nov 9, 2005
    Better than the lame trailer made it out to be.
  63. Nathan
    Dec 13, 2005
    The funniest movie ever!! My wife loved it too!!
  64. DanC.
    Dec 18, 2005
    Both consistently clever and laugh-out-loud funny, it's a genuinely enjoyable movie experience. It's also smart enough to be realistically crude yet genuinely humane at the same time. Like most men, the film may crave sex, but in the end, it's looking for love. Special bonus points for the sublimely ridiculous (in the best sense of the word) musical finale.
  65. bobby
    Dec 22, 2005
    It might be possible to create a more cliched format, a flatter script, more boring characters and unimaginative cinematography-a 0- am looking forward toJud Atarow's next film.
  66. StevenW.
    Dec 3, 2005
    This is a great movie. I couldn't stop laughing.
  67. JoshE.
    Dec 3, 2005
    This is what America likes?
  68. TomH.
    Dec 3, 2005
    so!!! underrated this movie should get way more attention as very funny movie.
  69. PonR.
    Dec 4, 2005
    Funny all the way. Maybe could have been shorter but definitely kept the laughs coming without resorting to cheap shots most of the time. A pleasant surprise.
  70. DamienT.
    Oct 5, 2005
    To be completely honest I wasn't expecting much from this. While I loved Steve Carell in Bruce Almighty, he really didn't grab me in the American remake of The Office. Though, I came out of the cinema with a smile on my face. This film provides so many laughs and has such embarrassing situations which Carell seems to be perfect at in this. You feel his pain but can't help To be completely honest I wasn't expecting much from this. While I loved Steve Carell in Bruce Almighty, he really didn't grab me in the American remake of The Office. Though, I came out of the cinema with a smile on my face. This film provides so many laughs and has such embarrassing situations which Carell seems to be perfect at in this. You feel his pain but can't help laughing. I loved this film, it's got plenty of laughs and a few lessons in life hidden there beneath the comedy. Expand
  71. BetsyN.
    Aug 15, 2005
    This could-have-been-excreble tale of an aging innocent surprised me: "Hard R humor" and all (and it is often hilarious) the film isn't a one-joke screw-a-thon (not that there's anything wrong with those); while we're laughing at the hero's travails, we're cheering him on, hoping for the best, wanting this sweet-natured, impossibly innocent soul, endearingly This could-have-been-excreble tale of an aging innocent surprised me: "Hard R humor" and all (and it is often hilarious) the film isn't a one-joke screw-a-thon (not that there's anything wrong with those); while we're laughing at the hero's travails, we're cheering him on, hoping for the best, wanting this sweet-natured, impossibly innocent soul, endearingly played by Steve Carell, to have it all: sex, lust, love, trust, and companionship; in short: a truly happy ending. It's not a perfect picture, but it's so far beyond what one may expect based on its title alone. This really IS the best date movie of the summer - -for adults, anyway. Expand
  72. CristieE.
    Aug 17, 2005
    Great movie! I got to see this movie on a sneak preview. Honestly, this is not a movie I would have picked to see after watching the trailer. But hey, it was free. I was shocked at how funny it was. It wasn't over the top on raunchiness like Soriety Boys and it wasn't stupid like 40 days (or whatever that movie was called where the guy didn't have sex for 40 days.) It was Great movie! I got to see this movie on a sneak preview. Honestly, this is not a movie I would have picked to see after watching the trailer. But hey, it was free. I was shocked at how funny it was. It wasn't over the top on raunchiness like Soriety Boys and it wasn't stupid like 40 days (or whatever that movie was called where the guy didn't have sex for 40 days.) It was an amazing "LOL" movie. I can't wait to own it on DVD. Expand
  73. TimC.
    Aug 20, 2005
    Seeing the other reviewers, i must say that this is highly overrated. how this gets all 9's and 10's (let me see, 10 being that no better comedy has ever been made in the history of cinema??) across the board, no way. i do like mr carrell's low key, everyman approach, and this movie at it's core is about decency (believe it or not). However, it simply doesnt have enoughSeeing the other reviewers, i must say that this is highly overrated. how this gets all 9's and 10's (let me see, 10 being that no better comedy has ever been made in the history of cinema??) across the board, no way. i do like mr carrell's low key, everyman approach, and this movie at it's core is about decency (believe it or not). However, it simply doesnt have enough clever humor to keep it going, also it relies much too much on crass anguage to get cheap laughs. I've got nothing against strong language, but it would be nicer if they were a part of a joke. bottom line, an ok 45 minute movie padded out by simple gags (oh, he fell of his bike and hit his head, darn funny...) and constant sharp language (oh! he said ***k a goat! ahahaaha... yeah). Expand
  74. BrandonB.
    Aug 22, 2005
    I enjoyed this movie, but not as much as Wedding Crashers. 40 Year Old Virgin strived to be perverted too much. There were times where it just got overboard and one is wondering why not just rent an adult movie for a price cheaper than 2 movie tickets.
  75. StevenM.
    Aug 23, 2005
    One of the best endings of the year. oh yeah, and the movie's fantastic too.
  76. SheilaP
    Aug 25, 2005
    I actually walked out of this movie. The language and the way they talked about women was a major turnoff. Could not find anything funny about it. I rarely walk out of a movie, but this one was simply an insult.
  77. AlexS.
    Aug 25, 2005
    Holy crap is it funny, non stop laughs if you don't take this stuff seriously. If you're a prude, prepare to be offended.
  78. SusanM.
    Aug 26, 2005
    Best comedy I have seen in ages, I laughed my butt off!!! I'm actually still laughing today about some of the lines and situations in that movie. They didn't hold anything back, they were totally raunchy and TOTALLY entertaining. Also, it was nice to see the comedy skills of some lesser-known actors being showcased. I would reccommend this movie to anyone over 18 with a good Best comedy I have seen in ages, I laughed my butt off!!! I'm actually still laughing today about some of the lines and situations in that movie. They didn't hold anything back, they were totally raunchy and TOTALLY entertaining. Also, it was nice to see the comedy skills of some lesser-known actors being showcased. I would reccommend this movie to anyone over 18 with a good sense of humour!!! Expand
  79. Hillary
    Aug 29, 2005
    Yes, some of the characters are vapid and empty, but so are a lot of people in real life--why are people so surprised when one is on screen? Minus 2 points for the degradation of women, but being that is largely not the focus of this film, it is one of the funniest movies in a long time.
  80. gregw.
    Aug 31, 2005
    Just may have been the funniest movie's i have ever seen. but i have to warn you the humor in this movie is not for everyone.(people who cant take rude and degrading jokes as jokes).
  81. Emily
    Sep 10, 2005
    absolutely hilarious, i could see it over and over again and still laugh at Steve Carell's uncomfortable charisma.
  82. matta.
    Sep 1, 2005
    Notice how women are the only ones bashing this movie, and that makes sense-there is no way that I would take my girlfriend to see this or recommend it to her. Pretty vulgar stuff, but hilarious. The best comedy of the year so far and one of the best of the last few years. Some of the jokes don't work all that well, but there are more than enough that do. Steve Carrel has been solid Notice how women are the only ones bashing this movie, and that makes sense-there is no way that I would take my girlfriend to see this or recommend it to her. Pretty vulgar stuff, but hilarious. The best comedy of the year so far and one of the best of the last few years. Some of the jokes don't work all that well, but there are more than enough that do. Steve Carrel has been solid in whatever he has been in up to now (especially The Office and Anchorman) but this is his obvious breakthrough role, and he nails it. Not for all tastes, but if you like your comedy a little raunchy (but also very smart) then this movie is for you. Collapse
  83. Rick
    Sep 1, 2005
    I beileve this has been steve carell's and paul rudd's funnies moviesince anchorman. From begining to end this movie mad me laugh so hard i nearly crapped myself. This movie was a laugh fest with great acting from the main and secondary characters. this would make any commedy fan very happy.
  84. JustinN
    Sep 1, 2005
    Friggin' hilarious. The second half of the movie kind of drags a bit but makes up for it with a great song and dance number, as well as some decent character development. Keep in mind though, the only character that gets much development is the virgin. Just about every other character is just there's for comedy's sake, minus the love interest.
  85. AmyA.
    Sep 13, 2005
    I love this film. One of the funniest films of a very long time the whole cinema was in up roar. I love the ending I wont give it away its was hilarious. If your in for a good laugh i recommend this film!!
  86. DavidA.
    Sep 18, 2005
    It's a very funny movie and I recomend it. I liked the ending. If you're looking for a good movie to pass a good time go ahead and watch it.
  87. C.B.Browne
    Sep 20, 2005
    Very funny. best ending ever.
  88. RT
    Sep 21, 2005
    Hilarious. A must-watch.
  89. JohnR.
    Sep 3, 2005
    Great, Great Hilarious movie.
  90. PaulF.
    Sep 4, 2005
    I was the only one out of a group of 5 that liked this movie. I did not love it but it did make me laugh out loud a few times. The ending was also quirky in a campy good way. I felt this movie did not need to be so raw. It definitely relied on low brow humor, which sometimes is good. I would have liked to seen this element down played and a more sofisticated creative solution found as I was the only one out of a group of 5 that liked this movie. I did not love it but it did make me laugh out loud a few times. The ending was also quirky in a campy good way. I felt this movie did not need to be so raw. It definitely relied on low brow humor, which sometimes is good. I would have liked to seen this element down played and a more sofisticated creative solution found as it's replacement, but still not a bad movie. If you are expecting this movie to be clean and without racial stereotypes stay away or the only person you should be mad at is yourself. In conclusion this was a fun movie if you relax and watch it without judgement, yet it could have been so much more. Expand
  91. IsakC.
    Its a real good movie.
  92. JulienC.
    Sep 6, 2005
    I was not sure given that the trailer is not so good, but then I was told by a friend that it was actually very funny and I admit it is. you'll have a good time, it's not super easy jokes but actually thoghtful humour i liked it.
  93. mikec.
    Sep 7, 2005
    This movie had quite a few laugh out loud parts. Oher parts were groaners.
  94. Don'tCare
    Sep 9, 2005
    Interesting. Notice how all the bad reviews have been made by women. This movie is hilarious and i really couldn't care about "degrating women" because the entire frickin movie is about how personally strong women are and how hard it is to get close to them. Besides, Steve Carrel is awesome. GO DAILY SHOW!
  95. OS11-
    Sep 9, 2005
    Okay, it's worth a solid 8. Cute flick with plenty of naughty language and situations. This film will hold up well and could become somewhat of a "classic". I counted about 60 funny moments which is high. A few goofy sections that didn't add to the film but it all fits together and worth seeing in a theater with a "live" crowd.
  96. D.G.
    Jan 11, 2006
    I hated this movie. Had I gone to the theater I would have walked out and asked for my money back. I just didn't see the humor in it. I felt that the movie degraded women, and was too long. My boyfriend rented it because he'd seen it and thought I'd like it. I told him during the movie that it was a guy flick. I didn't think it was a movie women would find to be a 10 I hated this movie. Had I gone to the theater I would have walked out and asked for my money back. I just didn't see the humor in it. I felt that the movie degraded women, and was too long. My boyfriend rented it because he'd seen it and thought I'd like it. I told him during the movie that it was a guy flick. I didn't think it was a movie women would find to be a 10 or even a 6 or 7 in rating. I found this movie to be more geared for teens. I can't say enough negative things about this movie. Expand
  97. Bob
    Jan 1, 2006
    Watched the "unrated " version. Beware. To sum it up it was repetitively vulgar, sometimes funny and overall a real disapointment since the theme could have provided so much opportunity to make a better film. Talk about over rated and over hyped.
  98. RobertB.
    Jan 12, 2006
    I would question the intellectual level of anybody who might watch a movie titled "The 40 Year Old Virgin" and expect something other than variations on sex jokes, racial jokes and gay jokes. No, this movie is not high art. It's rather low brow, but unlike many low brow movies, it is funny, and it does have a heart. Steve Carrell's character is depicted as the pathetic loser I would question the intellectual level of anybody who might watch a movie titled "The 40 Year Old Virgin" and expect something other than variations on sex jokes, racial jokes and gay jokes. No, this movie is not high art. It's rather low brow, but unlike many low brow movies, it is funny, and it does have a heart. Steve Carrell's character is depicted as the pathetic loser that often litter this genre. He's actually a real, intelligent person (if somewhat exaggerated) whose situation is not depicted as being really any worse than anybody else's in the movie, except that his issue happens to be the primary focus of the film. I enjoyed this movie a lot more than I expected. Expand
  99. Angie
    Jan 14, 2006
    The first half of this movie is hilarious... by the end tho i was worn down by the use of the f-word and nudity... do they hav a RATED version of this rather than the UNRATED? the movie makes up for everything else by the final scene tho.. completely random and unexpected. made me end the movie with a smile on my face.
  100. J.S.
    Jan 18, 2006
    I was quite disappointed after hearing so much good news about it. In reality, the jokes weren't THAT funny, and the movie seemed to drag on after some time. In addition, it really seemed like they forced too much vulgarity into the language / script. Swear words can convey a lot, but it seemed like the writers were forcing them, making things unnatural in my eyes. I was bored, and I was quite disappointed after hearing so much good news about it. In reality, the jokes weren't THAT funny, and the movie seemed to drag on after some time. In addition, it really seemed like they forced too much vulgarity into the language / script. Swear words can convey a lot, but it seemed like the writers were forcing them, making things unnatural in my eyes. I was bored, and the end didn't come fast enough. There were a few very funny parts, but overall -- disappointing. Expand

Steve Carell, best known as a team player on "The Daily Show," "The Office" and such movies as "Anchorman," earns top-banana status as Andy. He is flat-out hilarious.
  2. Sticking to one joke in an unconscionably long film makes for a very stale, witless and repetitive comedy.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Crude, sophomorically homophobic but frequently funny, pic also overstays its welcome a bit and indulges in some juvenile excesses. All told, though, The 40 Year Old Virgin delivers enough belly laughs.