7.9

1. Feb 6, 2012
    Solid movie with some laughs, but not really much more. It's all about his virginaty and that's funny for some time but does not last until the end of the movie... Steve Carrell did a good job. I think without him this movie would be even more boring by time. Co-Cast was good as well only the storyline was to weak to stand the 90 minutes.
  2. WilliamH.
    Jan 1, 2006
    Sophomoric, 8th grade sexual humor. A movie made for sexual babies.
  3. KennyM.
    Jan 6, 2006
    This film, which had a great theme and amazing potentially was extremely dissapointing. The vulgarity was sickening and made me feel uncomfortable it was so bad at points. The only light in the dark was Steve Carell, in all his glory. He was excellent and I only wish the rest of the movie was as energentic as he was. My only other complaint was that the movie dragged on FOREVER!!! How This film, which had a great theme and amazing potentially was extremely dissapointing. The vulgarity was sickening and made me feel uncomfortable it was so bad at points. The only light in the dark was Steve Carell, in all his glory. He was excellent and I only wish the rest of the movie was as energentic as he was. My only other complaint was that the movie dragged on FOREVER!!! How many times were they going to delay the inevitable ending???? Expand
  4. LuigiDK
    Oct 21, 2005
    The movie deserves a 1, but felt a higher 'fake' score would draw more attention. This is a movie for immature teens - but its overall subject theme and gutter-level humor make it inappropriate for any age group. The fact that critics provided any positive reviews is alarming to the point that where I've always taken reviews as a guidleine at best - any critic who The movie deserves a 1, but felt a higher 'fake' score would draw more attention. This is a movie for immature teens - but its overall subject theme and gutter-level humor make it inappropriate for any age group. The fact that critics provided any positive reviews is alarming to the point that where I've always taken reviews as a guidleine at best - any critic who didn't despise this film has lost all credibility. Not to mention the fact that our society could possilbe enjoy this crap. Expand
  5. Apr 2, 2014
    Judd Apatows comedy is worth watching this one is okay . Steve carell is a gay **** thats a fact . and his role was sad in this film but Apatow's comedy is something to enjoy . Grade C+
  6. RonL.
    Jan 30, 2006
    Worth a rental on a Saturday afternoon. Good fun. Not as good as Something About Mary or The Wedding Singer but in that vien - except cruder.
  7. MikeS.
    Dec 30, 2005
    While generally humorous, the humor was brought down several notches by the never-ceasing vulgarity. It really didn't need so many F* words to be successful.
  8. Ricky
    Sep 5, 2005
    I found this movie extremely funny from a guy's point of view. My date wanted to walk out and thus the five rating. This is the opposite of a chick flick in that guys will love it and women hate it. My advice is for the guys go by yourself or with your buddies. We can relate as this is a guy thing, but women will be repulsed even though it is a sweet comedy. Great music.
  9. ZackL.
    Jan 20, 2006
    This movie is ridiculous. But it is so funny and shows a tad bit of charm, that you cant help but feel a certain emotion for this film.
  10. TimC.
    Aug 20, 2005
    Seeing the other reviewers, i must say that this is highly overrated. how this gets all 9's and 10's (let me see, 10 being that no better comedy has ever been made in the history of cinema??) across the board, no way. i do like mr carrell's low key, everyman approach, and this movie at it's core is about decency (believe it or not). However, it simply doesnt have enoughSeeing the other reviewers, i must say that this is highly overrated. how this gets all 9's and 10's (let me see, 10 being that no better comedy has ever been made in the history of cinema??) across the board, no way. i do like mr carrell's low key, everyman approach, and this movie at it's core is about decency (believe it or not). However, it simply doesnt have enough clever humor to keep it going, also it relies much too much on crass anguage to get cheap laughs. I've got nothing against strong language, but it would be nicer if they were a part of a joke. bottom line, an ok 45 minute movie padded out by simple gags (oh, he fell of his bike and hit his head, darn funny...) and constant sharp language (oh! he said ***k a goat! ahahaaha... yeah). Expand
  11. BrandonB.
    Aug 22, 2005
    I enjoyed this movie, but not as much as Wedding Crashers. 40 Year Old Virgin strived to be perverted too much. There were times where it just got overboard and one is wondering why not just rent an adult movie for a price cheaper than 2 movie tickets.
  12. Bob
    Jan 1, 2006
    Watched the "unrated " version. Beware. To sum it up it was repetitively vulgar, sometimes funny and overall a real disapointment since the theme could have provided so much opportunity to make a better film. Talk about over rated and over hyped.
  13. A-Boo
    Jan 31, 2006
    The 40 year old virgin was funny is some scences, it was funny.....you laughed, it was crazy like when the woman throw up that was uncalled for....the jokes were half and half, funny but it was OK, the movie got boring, when he meet the woman with the kids, thats when it got boring all in all it's ok....you may want to rent it, BEFORE YOU BUY IT! 10 out of 10 is taking it 2 far but The 40 year old virgin was funny is some scences, it was funny.....you laughed, it was crazy like when the woman throw up that was uncalled for....the jokes were half and half, funny but it was OK, the movie got boring, when he meet the woman with the kids, thats when it got boring all in all it's ok....you may want to rent it, BEFORE YOU BUY IT! 10 out of 10 is taking it 2 far but it was ok. Expand
  14. BillC.
    Oct 11, 2005
    The jokes and gags in this got tired in a hurry for me. I've read that if you liked DodgelBall you'd love this movie? It didn't work that way for me. It played to much to the jumior high crowd...maybe that was their intent? Dodgeball had some lame story line, but even that was missing from this film and all the jokes felt recycled. Bill C.
  15. Marilee
    Nov 2, 2005
    What a dumb waste of time. I hoped for some broad humor, but it's so sophmoric and predictable I became bored. All the laughs were in the trailer.
  16. HollyC
    Aug 25, 2005
    Definitely had some real belly laughs, but it was pretty uneven throughout & a little long. Definitely silly but still smart, crude and real. Worth a matinee price at least.
  17. AdamH.
    Aug 26, 2005
    Wow ... what a mediocre comedy. There are some disconnected laughs, but too few and far between. And the movie is pretty ugly to look at and listen to: really it's just a lot of scattershot juvenile humor that is apparently -- and strangely -- aimed at adults.
  18. CheterD.
    Aug 27, 2005
    Not as funny as the hype promised, but a good rental
  19. Docta
    Aug 29, 2005
    I'm a bit baffled. It's really not that funny. More chuckle enducing than laugh out loud funny.
  20. GregT.
    Dec 19, 2005
    Sort of interesting. Not as great as the critics seem to think it is. How many times can you say the "F" word and still milk a laugh out of it? This is comedy but not roll-in-the-aisle comedy.
  21. kevins.
    Dec 26, 2005
    Wasnt a bad movie, just one i expected to be a lot funnier. kinda went on and on...some great moments though.
  22. Jan 16, 2012
    It was ok. A few funny scenes and a solid cast through out. However it never really rises above that generic comedy that you expect to be funny because it features actors from other comedies that you enjoyed.

Steve Carell, best known as a team player on "The Daily Show," "The Office" and such movies as "Anchorman," earns top-banana status as Andy. He is flat-out hilarious.
  2. Sticking to one joke in an unconscionably long film makes for a very stale, witless and repetitive comedy.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Crude, sophomorically homophobic but frequently funny, pic also overstays its welcome a bit and indulges in some juvenile excesses. All told, though, The 40 Year Old Virgin delivers enough belly laughs.