Universal Pictures | Release Date: August 19, 2005
8.1
Universal acclaim based on 429 Ratings
WATCH NOW
SpangleMar 8, 2015
I went in with very low expectations, so to say they were exceeded would be an understatement. Shockingly funny and entertaining, The 40 Year Old Virgin is rife with dirty/immature jokes, but they were handled so maturely (makes sense if youI went in with very low expectations, so to say they were exceeded would be an understatement. Shockingly funny and entertaining, The 40 Year Old Virgin is rife with dirty/immature jokes, but they were handled so maturely (makes sense if you don't think about it), that they were actually funny. Steve Carell, Catherine Keener, Paul Rudd, Romany Malco, and Seth Rogen, were all great and really worked well together comedically. The writing and direction from Judd Apatow were both very good. While extremely awkward at times, The 40 Year Old Virgin is a shockingly good romantic comedy that manages to, yes, actually be oddly romantic at times. I typically hate movies like this, but it is so well-written and handled that it is impossible to hate. Plus, Steve Carell is absolutely stellar, so that helps as well. Overall, while far off from being my favorite comedy ever, The 40 Year Old Virgin kept me laughing throughout and blended the romance perfectly with the comedic elements. Expand
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
A very competently written, utterly hilarious comedy, with just the right dose of humanity.
csw12Mar 28, 2012
The 40 year old Vrigin is the funniest movie of the decade. If you don't laugh in this movie your are deprerssed. The movie was smart, witty and hilarious. Steve Carell was excellent. One of the best movies of the year.
Meth-dudeFeb 15, 2015
The movie had his laughs and the acting was really good.Steve Carrell was amazing and the co-cast was good too.The scenario was original but the movie was too long so it was a little boring in the end.
lukechristianscApr 2, 2014
Judd Apatows comedy is worth watching this one is okay . Steve carell is a gay **** thats a fact . and his role was sad in this film but Apatow's comedy is something to enjoy . Grade C+
Trev29Sep 3, 2012
Very funny. Not sure I would recommend it to young viewers, but it brings everything a comedy should. it was great because it went where no one else would go. It took chances and that payed off.
ydnar4Nov 22, 2014
The 40 Year Old Virgin is one of the better comedies of modern times. Steve Carell is great in what is probably his most notable role. Paul Rudd was great as well and this is the movie that really put Seth Rogen on the map. I love Seth RogenThe 40 Year Old Virgin is one of the better comedies of modern times. Steve Carell is great in what is probably his most notable role. Paul Rudd was great as well and this is the movie that really put Seth Rogen on the map. I love Seth Rogen in this film wearing his classic album tshirts. This movie is the first in a slew of perfect Judd Apatow comedy films followed by Knocked Up and This is 40. Expand
FranzHcriticMay 27, 2014
More pleasant than 'Knocked Up', which is contributed by the improvisation and raunchy dialogue and atmosphere. The whole ensemble is the real gem of the movie, although it is great social commentary as it explains the thought of men almostMore pleasant than 'Knocked Up', which is contributed by the improvisation and raunchy dialogue and atmosphere. The whole ensemble is the real gem of the movie, although it is great social commentary as it explains the thought of men almost 24/7. Women. It is no surprise to me they are offended by the provocative outlook men have. But who cares? It''s funny, nonetheless. Expand
StevenFMar 18, 2013
Does exactly what it says on the tin and delivers a story about a man who has yet to lose his virginity at 40 years old. Steve Carell puts in a hilarious performance as Andy, a single man living alone, who works at an electronics store, quiteDoes exactly what it says on the tin and delivers a story about a man who has yet to lose his virginity at 40 years old. Steve Carell puts in a hilarious performance as Andy, a single man living alone, who works at an electronics store, quite content with living his care-free, routine ridden life, riding his bike to work, routine morning ritual and so on, and this is disturbed after a small poker game involving his co- workers where Andy's little secret comes out.
He initially panics and fears his life may be on the downside when David (Paul Rudd), Cal (Seth Rogan) and Jay (Romany Malco), his co-workers, decide to help him in his attempt to pop the cherry.
Cue a hysterical two hours of attempts to find not necessarily a one night stand, but somebody who Andy can potentially spend the rest of his life with.
The funniest parts of the film are definitely the interactions and chemistry between Andy and his colleagues, the dialogue in the film was quite improvised, adding much more laughter and various set ups that are just hilarious.
Carell's character is the most grounded yet most interesting of the bunch, he perhaps thinks too much on a situation which leads to hysterical scenes (trading masturbation for an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond is a true standout) that gels the movie into a sense of realism of people's perception of virginity and sex in general.
Jane Lynch has a small yet unforgettable part as the manager of the store, Paula, Lynch expertly utilises her deadpan humour to cut down her cast mates and sort of drift into any conversation and make it her own.
The film has plenty of heart and sweet nature with Carell's character being at the centre of this along with his love interest, Trish (Catherine Keener), who owns the most pointless store imaginable. The big cast with all their parts to play can sometimes be overwhelming and at times dragged out, each character to tries to teach Andy their way of picking up women seems like it is starting a new story and therefore at times feels repetitive, but this certainly doesn't deter from the general story of the film, though you may see that it was perhaps too long.
The film is well written, by Carell himself and director Judd Apatow, with plenty of improvised laugh and well timed scenarios that is sure to please the best of us.
Rox22Sep 10, 2013
Pretty decent comedy. Carrel is in top form and there allot of great jokes and scenes. However, I find that it dragged a little when it was trying to be serious.

Overall: A decent comedy, that is flawed and may not be for everyone, but I

Overall:
A decent comedy, that is flawed and may not be for everyone, but I enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone looking for a light chuckle (primarily anyone in their 30s.)
diogomendesJul 23, 2014
Hahahaha! This is absolutely hilarious! Thanks to Steve Carrel for being an asset to this comedy film. The story is funny and the characters are amusing. Recommendable for adults!
survivorfan989May 7, 2013
Has taken me a while to actually see this film as I'm not a huge Steve Carrell fan, but I surprisingly really enjoyed it. Clever little film that can probably relate to a lot of people in a lot of ways (not just the obvious 'virgin' tag).Has taken me a while to actually see this film as I'm not a huge Steve Carrell fan, but I surprisingly really enjoyed it. Clever little film that can probably relate to a lot of people in a lot of ways (not just the obvious 'virgin' tag). Steve does a great job as Andy, but the cast as a whole are all very funny and entertaining. It's probably up there as my favourite film from Apatow's films he has released. Overall a solid comedy flick that I would be surprised if you haven't seen! Expand
ERG1008Sep 3, 2010
As to be expected by Judd Apatow, it's crude, quirky and funny.
Steve Carrell is brilliant in the lead & although the story is very predictable, it's still quite sweet.
Gets an extra mark for the song at the end.
spadenxJan 16, 2012
It was ok. A few funny scenes and a solid cast through out. However it never really rises above that generic comedy that you expect to be funny because it features actors from other comedies that you enjoyed.
NazguleroMar 31, 2011
The movie skillfully depicts the only thing that is on a man's mind, from birth to death. I can see that women find that offensive. As a matter of fact, if women could be men just for one day, they would be shocked. That is how dull theThe movie skillfully depicts the only thing that is on a man's mind, from birth to death. I can see that women find that offensive. As a matter of fact, if women could be men just for one day, they would be shocked. That is how dull the average man's life is. Expand
Benkoko11Feb 23, 2017
Hollywood's comedic stars align for a shamelessly outrageous, suprisingly touching, and infinitely rewatchable rom-com that I can say with confidence is one of the funniest movies ever made.
ExKingMar 31, 2013
this is the 2nd most favorite comedy movie after the hangover 1 the story is so down to earth that anyone can relate to it and i loved the fact that it's a low budget movie with no visual effect just a simple home edition movie with anthis is the 2nd most favorite comedy movie after the hangover 1 the story is so down to earth that anyone can relate to it and i loved the fact that it's a low budget movie with no visual effect just a simple home edition movie with an awesome story and awesome details and steve carrell was perfect for this role. Expand
JaySupertrampFeb 6, 2012
Solid movie with some laughs, but not really much more. It's all about his virginaty and that's funny for some time but does not last until the end of the movie... Steve Carrell did a good job. I think without him this movie would be evenSolid movie with some laughs, but not really much more. It's all about his virginaty and that's funny for some time but does not last until the end of the movie... Steve Carrell did a good job. I think without him this movie would be even more boring by time. Co-Cast was good as well only the storyline was to weak to stand the 90 minutes. Expand
TubieNov 2, 2010
Awesome movie, one of the funniest in recent years. Not only is it funny but it's interesting and you won't notice the 2 hours that this movie runs. The entire cast was amazing and it's great that they all have gonne to make many more filmsAwesome movie, one of the funniest in recent years. Not only is it funny but it's interesting and you won't notice the 2 hours that this movie runs. The entire cast was amazing and it's great that they all have gonne to make many more films and I think it's partly thanks to their performance in this movie. Expand
zahabitahaAug 26, 2015
good but i think that was not very funny and it was long..............................................................................................
RSKMar 8, 2012
One of the funniest movies ever. It's in the upper-echelon of comedies, if you will. Steve Carell is a genius, and the rest of the guys are hilarious. Great movie.
JaneJ.Oct 8, 2005
My best friend and I (both women) went to see this last night. Let me tell you the theatre was rolling in laughter. Some parts had me crying from laughing so hard. It just really had us all laughing in the theatre. I am taking my husband next week!
TalmadgeW.Sep 2, 2006
Mind you, I am far from a prude but I thought this movie was in very bad taste, offensive to both sexes, dull most of the way through. I don't know people who use that kind of language or who are totally sex driven. I am extremely Mind you, I am far from a prude but I thought this movie was in very bad taste, offensive to both sexes, dull most of the way through. I don't know people who use that kind of language or who are totally sex driven. I am extremely concerned that so many people raved about it. Where is our society going? What kind of person would write such trash? Expand
Rev.RikardOct 8, 2005
The funniest movie in two years! Steve Carell is the new Steve Martin. He can just stand in place and cause one to chuckle. Though the male friends in this movie appear as adult adolescents, there is enough truth in their characters to The funniest movie in two years! Steve Carell is the new Steve Martin. He can just stand in place and cause one to chuckle. Though the male friends in this movie appear as adult adolescents, there is enough truth in their characters to reveal the sorry socialization process through which American men must pass. Sex is the most important issue in our lives because many, if not most of us were raised to believe this falllacy. As an American male I easily identified with Carell's character, If we were all gut-level honest we would admit that we desire genuine love more than anything. However, his male friends/counselors allow us to see the ridiculous perceptiions that would make being a forty year old virgin the most dispicable state in which a man can find himself. My spouse laughed as heartily as myself because she recognized that very truth pulsating from these exaggerated characters. This film is more than a comedy about a man finally trying "to get some." It is a disarming film that allows American males to laugh at our sad condition. Expand
1 of 2 users found this helpful
MattSep 1, 2005
Funniest movie in years!!! If you like raunchy, but sweet comedy get out of your seat and go see this movie!!
RizzaSep 5, 2005
Alessandra... Learn to take a joke... Sorry to say, but guys DO talk like this when they get together. You
RoySep 5, 2005
I haven't had as many down to the bone laughs as I got in this movie in many years. Some extremely funny stuff and I loved the parody of The Exorcist. I found Andy's love interest to not be a very good actress and as the end of the I haven't had as many down to the bone laughs as I got in this movie in many years. Some extremely funny stuff and I loved the parody of The Exorcist. I found Andy's love interest to not be a very good actress and as the end of the movie shifts over to their relationship, it loses pacing. The first half is a 10 however. Expand
EdM.Sep 6, 2005
I almost s... myself from laughing so hard!
JudySep 6, 2005
Funny!!!!
TonydannieJan 11, 2006
I rented this thinking that I would be laughing my butt off. It was funny but not Laugh out loud funny. Was I Dissapointed? Maybe Little. But I think this one was Alot funnier then "Wedding Crashers."
WilliamH.Jan 1, 2006
Sophomoric, 8th grade sexual humor. A movie made for sexual babies.
JeremyW.Jan 2, 2006
A must have in anyones DVD collection that likes comedy. I was shocked on how funny this movie was. I would not pass this one up at all.
mitchm.Jan 2, 2006
One laugh. Nuff said. (and that one was the already well-rehearsed chest waxing scene, which we'd all seen in trailers for month preceding) My expectations were admittedly high, and this sad flick dashed them to pieces. I could barely One laugh. Nuff said. (and that one was the already well-rehearsed chest waxing scene, which we'd all seen in trailers for month preceding) My expectations were admittedly high, and this sad flick dashed them to pieces. I could barely sit through it. Expand
1 of 4 users found this helpful
RonL.Jan 30, 2006
Worth a rental on a Saturday afternoon. Good fun. Not as good as Something About Mary or The Wedding Singer but in that vien - except cruder.
karamh.Jan 4, 2006
It is a very nice movie.
KennyM.Jan 6, 2006
This film, which had a great theme and amazing potentially was extremely dissapointing. The vulgarity was sickening and made me feel uncomfortable it was so bad at points. The only light in the dark was Steve Carell, in all his glory. He was This film, which had a great theme and amazing potentially was extremely dissapointing. The vulgarity was sickening and made me feel uncomfortable it was so bad at points. The only light in the dark was Steve Carell, in all his glory. He was excellent and I only wish the rest of the movie was as energentic as he was. My only other complaint was that the movie dragged on FOREVER!!! How many times were they going to delay the inevitable ending???? Expand
hootersm.Nov 10, 2005
Hoot hoot hoot hoot hoot.
LuigiDKOct 21, 2005
The movie deserves a 1, but felt a higher 'fake' score would draw more attention. This is a movie for immature teens - but its overall subject theme and gutter-level humor make it inappropriate for any age group. The fact that The movie deserves a 1, but felt a higher 'fake' score would draw more attention. This is a movie for immature teens - but its overall subject theme and gutter-level humor make it inappropriate for any age group. The fact that critics provided any positive reviews is alarming to the point that where I've always taken reviews as a guidleine at best - any critic who didn't despise this film has lost all credibility. Not to mention the fact that our society could possilbe enjoy this crap. Expand
alg.Dec 30, 2005
I laughed once.
1 of 4 users found this helpful
MikeS.Dec 30, 2005
While generally humorous, the humor was brought down several notches by the never-ceasing vulgarity. It really didn't need so many F* words to be successful.
WallyS.Dec 6, 2005
One of the years most funniest films, Steve Carrell reveals himself capable of being the next Jim Carrey, and capable enough of choosing the right script, nailed by the right director.
AlexOct 4, 2005
Very funny, had some very funny scenes.
DWOct 7, 2005
I feel the need to be the lone, non-prudish voice to say that I felt this movie to be a total stinker. Rankness, that's fine, stupid humor, OK; I can even go along with a movie that looks like it was shot for the most part in a I feel the need to be the lone, non-prudish voice to say that I felt this movie to be a total stinker. Rankness, that's fine, stupid humor, OK; I can even go along with a movie that looks like it was shot for the most part in a warehouse; but a lead character who switches from nebbish innocence to foul-mouthed smart-ass just to serve the joke of the moment undercuts character and wipes out the whole thing for me. Didn't it bother all the people who thought this movie was so sweet to have a scene where a strange man enters a young woman's bathroom while she's in the bathtub, and lasiviously remove his shirt in a way that could only portend to her (slutty or not) the beginning of a rape? Expand
HaslynR.Aug 23, 2005
One of the funniest movies that I have seen in a long time. It's a clever, smart sex comedy which contains plausible characters and situations that are real . I think its much funnier and better written than Wedding Crashers.
JohnK.Aug 25, 2005
If Sheila would have stuck around, she would have noticed that though the film is crude, it turns beautiful somewhere in the middle, and both the moral message and the tone of the movie are spectacularly sweeter than you can think from the If Sheila would have stuck around, she would have noticed that though the film is crude, it turns beautiful somewhere in the middle, and both the moral message and the tone of the movie are spectacularly sweeter than you can think from the "American Pie"-ish previews. Expand
NicR.Aug 26, 2005
Best film every......and it has also given me the confidence to go out with a girl now as i am aslo a 40 year old virgin.
Danb.Aug 26, 2005
Top-notch character study.
MareD.Aug 26, 2005
Steve Carrell has the best comic timing. I loved the characters. Good flick!
MatthewP.Aug 27, 2005
Best comedy of the year!
ChristyAug 27, 2005
DISGUSTING. It is sad that people can accept a movie like this as humor. Where have people's morals gone? This movie sent so many horrible messages to young people (& i'm only 24!)
AlanD.Aug 30, 2005
I laughed from beginning to end. If you gave this movie anything less than a seven you are a dull, lifeless being destined for a life of fear and paranoia.
ScottBSep 1, 2005
Absolutely hilarious. Haven't laughed this much at a movie in a long time. I thought Ebert's review was right on the mark - you ended up being engaged by and caring for Steve Carell's (who was a surprisingly good actor) character.
JimG.Sep 10, 2005
A solid laugh, this movie was maybe even worth seeing twice in the theater. But I'm still not sure whether that the very funny parts make it a great movie, or whether it is just a relief to find something of quality in the otherwise A solid laugh, this movie was maybe even worth seeing twice in the theater. But I'm still not sure whether that the very funny parts make it a great movie, or whether it is just a relief to find something of quality in the otherwise bleak offerings of Summer 2005. Expand
JennySep 2, 2005
Absolutely hilarious.
RickySep 5, 2005
I found this movie extremely funny from a guy's point of view. My date wanted to walk out and thus the five rating. This is the opposite of a chick flick in that guys will love it and women hate it. My advice is for the guys go by I found this movie extremely funny from a guy's point of view. My date wanted to walk out and thus the five rating. This is the opposite of a chick flick in that guys will love it and women hate it. My advice is for the guys go by yourself or with your buddies. We can relate as this is a guy thing, but women will be repulsed even though it is a sweet comedy. Great music. Expand
MarkB.Sep 7, 2005
Okay, what have we learned from this summer's box office returns? If your movie involves Batman, Darth Vader or penguins, it'll make money; if it's another big, loud, expensive action movie from a director who's known for Okay, what have we learned from this summer's box office returns? If your movie involves Batman, Darth Vader or penguins, it'll make money; if it's another big, loud, expensive action movie from a director who's known for big, loud expensive action movies, it won't. Best of all, and especially after years of hypocritical, offensive PG-13 fodder like Meet the Fockers, the summer of '05 brought with it the return of the honest, R-rated film comedy! It's also extremely interesting to note that while so many female-oriented romcoms, such as Must Love Dogs, The Wedding Date and Little Black Book are rather mean-spirited celebrations of human behavior at its self-centered worst, both Wedding Crashers and The 40-Year-Old Virgin--raunchcoms aimed at a primarily male audience--are genuinely goodhearted, sweet-natured and truly romantic at the core. (Perhaps this is why so many women are flocking to them, too.) Steve Carell, who was memorable in supporting roles in Anchorman and Bruce Almighty, has a bottled-up, Rain Man-like quality that suits him perfectly for the role of Andy, the title character who has missed many sexual opportunities, doesn't feel he'll get any more, and channels his abundant excess energies into video games, comic books and action-figure collecting. (Can you say "sublimation", kids?) It's a real tribute to Carell's and director Judd Apatow's script that, even though it deals in every stereotypical notion of this type of character possible (the only element missing is a fanaticism for either Star Wars or Star Trek, and I'm sure that's only because Lucasfilm and Paramount probably, and perhaps wisely, denied the rights), it also makes Andy refreshingly three-dimensional, appealing and tremendously sympathetic. In fact, the movie's generosity extends to ALL the major characters; it has a lot of fun with Andy's workplace pals, his horny supervisor and numerous potential hookups, but never takes cheap shots at them the way certain comedies revel in doing. (Yes, Rob Schneider, I'm talking to you.) In fact, a major thematic truth in this movie is that everyone in it has, like Andy, been seriously injured in the game of love; Apatow puts Lionel Richie's "Hello" and Asia's "Heat of the Moment" to great use, but could have just as appropriately added REM's "Everybody Hurts" to the soundtrack. Whoever thought of casting Catherine Keener as Trish, the around-the-block free spirit who could complete Andy emotionally as well as sexually, is a genius. I've always admired Keener's witheringly sarcastic persona in movies like Being John Malkovich, but this change of pace role looks great on her; the woman's smile could've lit up all of New York City during the 1965 blackout. The Greek chorus of Andy's coworkers (Paul Rudd, Seth Rogen, Romany Malco) is terrific too: endeavoring to "fix" their new friend, they provide the perfect working illustration of "the blind leading the blind"; Andy may be totally ignorant as to the mysteries of a woman's body, but these guys are equally clueless as to her mind and heart. Lest I mislead you into thinking that a mainstream movie with this much intelligence and insight can't possibly be funny too, let me assure you that Virgin grabs you from the first, unforgettable early-morning visual gag, breaks into ramming speed (so to speak) during Rogen's monologue about what he did in Mexico over the weekend, and absolutely never slows down. And Apatow's enthusiasm for loading the fringes of his film with wonderful, peripheral characters and situations (Andy's upstairs neighbors, a lovely bit in Trish's store involving a customer and a pair of disco boots) guarantees The 40-Year-Old Virgin to be one of those experiences that you, like Andy, will enjoy even more the second time! Expand
SteveW.Jan 11, 2006
Absolute crap. Writers must have taken 10 minutes to write this plot. Lets see how many times we can use the F-word. Disappointing.
ZackL.Jan 20, 2006
This movie is ridiculous. But it is so funny and shows a tad bit of charm, that you cant help but feel a certain emotion for this film.
DeWayneP.Jan 6, 2006
This is one of the worst films I have ever seen...any positive comedic value you get from this movie has more to do with your intellectual level and bad taste.
jannef.Jan 7, 2006
It´s a bizzare movie, and i love bizzare.
JeremyM.Apr 3, 2006
this movie was awsome and very funny it kept you laughing and enjoying every minute yes i would say its not for everyone because there are some vulgar statements but I liked it and so did my family i never thought it was going to be as good this movie was awsome and very funny it kept you laughing and enjoying every minute yes i would say its not for everyone because there are some vulgar statements but I liked it and so did my family i never thought it was going to be as good as it was but i was wrong i love the movie. Expand
RandyM.Aug 29, 2006
The 40 Year Old Virgin is utterly laugh out loud hilarious. Filled with some very clever comedy and a great main character, The 40 Year Old Virgin is the comedy to beat all comedies.
TylerG.Jun 2, 2007
Perfect, perfectly written, perfectly acted, everything about this movie was absolutely perfect. the jokes were clever, the story could have easily been just a teen flick to laugh at it's dirty jokes, but it turned out to be so much Perfect, perfectly written, perfectly acted, everything about this movie was absolutely perfect. the jokes were clever, the story could have easily been just a teen flick to laugh at it's dirty jokes, but it turned out to be so much more than that. Great job Judd, keep em' comin Expand
KevinJAug 2, 2007
I really could have enjoyed this movie if I hadn't watched it with my parents. It was too sexually profane to watch with parents. I got that i-shouldn't-be-doing-this feeling the whole way through this movie...until the ending of I really could have enjoyed this movie if I hadn't watched it with my parents. It was too sexually profane to watch with parents. I got that i-shouldn't-be-doing-this feeling the whole way through this movie...until the ending of course. My parents never gave me the "birds and bees" talk. I had to find that stuff out through porn (the best way to learn). It was a funny movie that does, in fact, express a good point: today's society pressures people so much to lose their virginity. You see this in movies and t.v. shows constantly. Life isn't all about sex: the creating of it is, but the living of it isn't. Expand
MikeG.Nov 12, 2005
Not the funniest comedy ever, but a lot of laughs, a star-making turn by Carell, and an excellent supporting cast. The movie is winning, though, because its all heart in the end, avoiding the easy way out of using the title character as a Not the funniest comedy ever, but a lot of laughs, a star-making turn by Carell, and an excellent supporting cast. The movie is winning, though, because its all heart in the end, avoiding the easy way out of using the title character as a never ending gimmick. There are some scenes in this movie that people will be quoting and talking about for years. Expand
CherS.Nov 4, 2005
A hoot! And - who doesn't need a real hoot now and again? If you want to lay down the problems at hand, and just laugh and relax your mind, don't miss this funny story!
PierreL.Nov 8, 2005
Great performances, very well written, and funny at all time!
TrentS.Nov 9, 2005
Better than the lame trailer made it out to be.
NathanDec 13, 2005
The funniest movie ever!! My wife loved it too!!
LenB.Dec 16, 2005
What a disgusting movie! If this is what our young adults enjoy and think is funny, our country is in more trouble than I thought.
DanC.Dec 18, 2005
Both consistently clever and laugh-out-loud funny, it's a genuinely enjoyable movie experience. It's also smart enough to be realistically crude yet genuinely humane at the same time. Like most men, the film may crave sex, but in Both consistently clever and laugh-out-loud funny, it's a genuinely enjoyable movie experience. It's also smart enough to be realistically crude yet genuinely humane at the same time. Like most men, the film may crave sex, but in the end, it's looking for love. Special bonus points for the sublimely ridiculous (in the best sense of the word) musical finale. Expand
bobbyDec 22, 2005
It might be possible to create a more cliched format, a flatter script, more boring characters and unimaginative cinematography-a 0- am looking forward toJud Atarow's next film.
StevenW.Dec 3, 2005
This is a great movie. I couldn't stop laughing.
JoshE.Dec 3, 2005
This is what America likes?
TomH.Dec 3, 2005
so!!! underrated this movie should get way more attention as very funny movie.
PonR.Dec 4, 2005
Funny all the way. Maybe could have been shorter but definitely kept the laughs coming without resorting to cheap shots most of the time. A pleasant surprise.
DamienT.Oct 5, 2005
To be completely honest I wasn't expecting much from this. While I loved Steve Carell in Bruce Almighty, he really didn't grab me in the American remake of The Office. Though, I came out of the cinema with a smile on my face. This To be completely honest I wasn't expecting much from this. While I loved Steve Carell in Bruce Almighty, he really didn't grab me in the American remake of The Office. Though, I came out of the cinema with a smile on my face. This film provides so many laughs and has such embarrassing situations which Carell seems to be perfect at in this. You feel his pain but can't help laughing. I loved this film, it's got plenty of laughs and a few lessons in life hidden there beneath the comedy. Expand
StevenM.Aug 23, 2005
One of the best endings of the year. oh yeah, and the movie's fantastic too.
SheilaPAug 25, 2005
I actually walked out of this movie. The language and the way they talked about women was a major turnoff. Could not find anything funny about it. I rarely walk out of a movie, but this one was simply an insult.
AlexS.Aug 25, 2005
Holy crap is it funny, non stop laughs if you don't take this stuff seriously. If you're a prude, prepare to be offended.
SusanM.Aug 26, 2005
Best comedy I have seen in ages, I laughed my butt off!!! I'm actually still laughing today about some of the lines and situations in that movie. They didn't hold anything back, they were totally raunchy and TOTALLY entertaining. Best comedy I have seen in ages, I laughed my butt off!!! I'm actually still laughing today about some of the lines and situations in that movie. They didn't hold anything back, they were totally raunchy and TOTALLY entertaining. Also, it was nice to see the comedy skills of some lesser-known actors being showcased. I would reccommend this movie to anyone over 18 with a good sense of humour!!! Expand
HillaryAug 29, 2005
Yes, some of the characters are vapid and empty, but so are a lot of people in real life--why are people so surprised when one is on screen? Minus 2 points for the degradation of women, but being that is largely not the focus of this film, Yes, some of the characters are vapid and empty, but so are a lot of people in real life--why are people so surprised when one is on screen? Minus 2 points for the degradation of women, but being that is largely not the focus of this film, it is one of the funniest movies in a long time. Expand
gregw.Aug 31, 2005
Just may have been the funniest movie's i have ever seen. but i have to warn you the humor in this movie is not for everyone.(people who cant take rude and degrading jokes as jokes).
EmilySep 10, 2005
absolutely hilarious, i could see it over and over again and still laugh at Steve Carell's uncomfortable charisma.
matta.Sep 1, 2005
Notice how women are the only ones bashing this movie, and that makes sense-there is no way that I would take my girlfriend to see this or recommend it to her. Pretty vulgar stuff, but hilarious. The best comedy of the year so far and one of Notice how women are the only ones bashing this movie, and that makes sense-there is no way that I would take my girlfriend to see this or recommend it to her. Pretty vulgar stuff, but hilarious. The best comedy of the year so far and one of the best of the last few years. Some of the jokes don't work all that well, but there are more than enough that do. Steve Carrel has been solid in whatever he has been in up to now (especially The Office and Anchorman) but this is his obvious breakthrough role, and he nails it. Not for all tastes, but if you like your comedy a little raunchy (but also very smart) then this movie is for you. Expand
RickSep 1, 2005
I beileve this has been steve carell's and paul rudd's funnies moviesince anchorman. From begining to end this movie mad me laugh so hard i nearly crapped myself. This movie was a laugh fest with great acting from the main and I beileve this has been steve carell's and paul rudd's funnies moviesince anchorman. From begining to end this movie mad me laugh so hard i nearly crapped myself. This movie was a laugh fest with great acting from the main and secondary characters. this would make any commedy fan very happy. Expand
JustinNSep 1, 2005
Friggin' hilarious. The second half of the movie kind of drags a bit but makes up for it with a great song and dance number, as well as some decent character development. Keep in mind though, the only character that gets much Friggin' hilarious. The second half of the movie kind of drags a bit but makes up for it with a great song and dance number, as well as some decent character development. Keep in mind though, the only character that gets much development is the virgin. Just about every other character is just there's for comedy's sake, minus the love interest. Expand
AmyA.Sep 13, 2005
I love this film. One of the funniest films of a very long time the whole cinema was in up roar. I love the ending I wont give it away its was hilarious. If your in for a good laugh i recommend this film!!
DavidA.Sep 18, 2005
It's a very funny movie and I recomend it. I liked the ending. If you're looking for a good movie to pass a good time go ahead and watch it.
C.B.BrowneSep 20, 2005
Very funny. best ending ever.
RTSep 21, 2005
Hilarious. A must-watch.
DaveF.Sep 28, 2005
Totally tasteless, fal-out-of-your-chair-laughing humor from start to finish.
JohnR.Sep 3, 2005
Great, Great Hilarious movie.
PaulF.Sep 4, 2005
I was the only one out of a group of 5 that liked this movie. I did not love it but it did make me laugh out loud a few times. The ending was also quirky in a campy good way. I felt this movie did not need to be so raw. It definitely relied I was the only one out of a group of 5 that liked this movie. I did not love it but it did make me laugh out loud a few times. The ending was also quirky in a campy good way. I felt this movie did not need to be so raw. It definitely relied on low brow humor, which sometimes is good. I would have liked to seen this element down played and a more sofisticated creative solution found as it's replacement, but still not a bad movie. If you are expecting this movie to be clean and without racial stereotypes stay away or the only person you should be mad at is yourself. In conclusion this was a fun movie if you relax and watch it without judgement, yet it could have been so much more. Expand
IsakC.Sep 6, 2005
Its a real good movie.
JulienC.Sep 6, 2005
I was not sure given that the trailer is not so good, but then I was told by a friend that it was actually very funny and I admit it is. you'll have a good time, it's not super easy jokes but actually thoghtful humour i liked it.
mikec.Sep 7, 2005
This movie had quite a few laugh out loud parts. Oher parts were groaners.
Don'tCareSep 9, 2005
Interesting. Notice how all the bad reviews have been made by women. This movie is hilarious and i really couldn't care about "degrating women" because the entire frickin movie is about how personally strong women are and how hard it is Interesting. Notice how all the bad reviews have been made by women. This movie is hilarious and i really couldn't care about "degrating women" because the entire frickin movie is about how personally strong women are and how hard it is to get close to them. Besides, Steve Carrel is awesome. GO DAILY SHOW! Expand
OS11-Sep 9, 2005
Okay, it's worth a solid 8. Cute flick with plenty of naughty language and situations. This film will hold up well and could become somewhat of a "classic". I counted about 60 funny moments which is high. A few goofy sections that Okay, it's worth a solid 8. Cute flick with plenty of naughty language and situations. This film will hold up well and could become somewhat of a "classic". I counted about 60 funny moments which is high. A few goofy sections that didn't add to the film but it all fits together and worth seeing in a theater with a "live" crowd. Expand
D.G.Jan 11, 2006
I hated this movie. Had I gone to the theater I would have walked out and asked for my money back. I just didn't see the humor in it. I felt that the movie degraded women, and was too long. My boyfriend rented it because he'd seen I hated this movie. Had I gone to the theater I would have walked out and asked for my money back. I just didn't see the humor in it. I felt that the movie degraded women, and was too long. My boyfriend rented it because he'd seen it and thought I'd like it. I told him during the movie that it was a guy flick. I didn't think it was a movie women would find to be a 10 or even a 6 or 7 in rating. I found this movie to be more geared for teens. I can't say enough negative things about this movie. Expand