7.9

1. MattP.
    Aug 21, 2005
    You have to embrace this movie's inventive crudeness in order to enjoy it. Otherwise you'll end up hating it just like you hated other (great) crude movies. The Big Lebowski comes to mind. But once you get past the numerous penis jokes, The 40-Year Old Virgin is a very sweet, realistic, and hilarious take on the dating world. Steve Carell has more depth and range than I would You have to embrace this movie's inventive crudeness in order to enjoy it. Otherwise you'll end up hating it just like you hated other (great) crude movies. The Big Lebowski comes to mind. But once you get past the numerous penis jokes, The 40-Year Old Virgin is a very sweet, realistic, and hilarious take on the dating world. Steve Carell has more depth and range than I would have ever expected, and yet he never loses the off-the-wall comedic delivery he's deservedly famous for. Definitely the most fun movie I've seen this summer. Expand
  2. Feb 6, 2012
    Solid movie with some laughs, but not really much more. It's all about his virginaty and that's funny for some time but does not last until the end of the movie... Steve Carrell did a good job. I think without him this movie would be even more boring by time. Co-Cast was good as well only the storyline was to weak to stand the 90 minutes.
  3. Rev.Rikard
    Oct 8, 2005
    The funniest movie in two years! Steve Carell is the new Steve Martin. He can just stand in place and cause one to chuckle. Though the male friends in this movie appear as adult adolescents, there is enough truth in their characters to reveal the sorry socialization process through which American men must pass. Sex is the most important issue in our lives because many, if not most of us The funniest movie in two years! Steve Carell is the new Steve Martin. He can just stand in place and cause one to chuckle. Though the male friends in this movie appear as adult adolescents, there is enough truth in their characters to reveal the sorry socialization process through which American men must pass. Sex is the most important issue in our lives because many, if not most of us were raised to believe this falllacy. As an American male I easily identified with Carell's character, If we were all gut-level honest we would admit that we desire genuine love more than anything. However, his male friends/counselors allow us to see the ridiculous perceptiions that would make being a forty year old virgin the most dispicable state in which a man can find himself. My spouse laughed as heartily as myself because she recognized that very truth pulsating from these exaggerated characters. This film is more than a comedy about a man finally trying "to get some." It is a disarming film that allows American males to laugh at our sad condition. Expand
  4. mitchm.
    Jan 2, 2006
    One laugh. Nuff said. (and that one was the already well-rehearsed chest waxing scene, which we'd all seen in trailers for month preceding) My expectations were admittedly high, and this sad flick dashed them to pieces. I could barely sit through it.
  5. alg.
    Dec 30, 2005
    I laughed once.
  6. Mar 31, 2011
    The movie skillfully depicts the only thing that is on a man's mind, from birth to death. I can see that women find that offensive. As a matter of fact, if women could be men just for one day, they would be shocked. That is how dull the average man's life is.
  7. TalmadgeW.
    Sep 2, 2006
    Mind you, I am far from a prude but I thought this movie was in very bad taste, offensive to both sexes, dull most of the way through. I don't know people who use that kind of language or who are totally sex driven. I am extremely concerned that so many people raved about it. Where is our society going? What kind of person would write such trash?
  8. WilliamH.
    Jan 1, 2006
    Sophomoric, 8th grade sexual humor. A movie made for sexual babies.
  9. KennyM.
    Jan 6, 2006
    This film, which had a great theme and amazing potentially was extremely dissapointing. The vulgarity was sickening and made me feel uncomfortable it was so bad at points. The only light in the dark was Steve Carell, in all his glory. He was excellent and I only wish the rest of the movie was as energentic as he was. My only other complaint was that the movie dragged on FOREVER!!! How This film, which had a great theme and amazing potentially was extremely dissapointing. The vulgarity was sickening and made me feel uncomfortable it was so bad at points. The only light in the dark was Steve Carell, in all his glory. He was excellent and I only wish the rest of the movie was as energentic as he was. My only other complaint was that the movie dragged on FOREVER!!! How many times were they going to delay the inevitable ending???? Expand
  10. LuigiDK
    Oct 21, 2005
    The movie deserves a 1, but felt a higher 'fake' score would draw more attention. This is a movie for immature teens - but its overall subject theme and gutter-level humor make it inappropriate for any age group. The fact that critics provided any positive reviews is alarming to the point that where I've always taken reviews as a guidleine at best - any critic who The movie deserves a 1, but felt a higher 'fake' score would draw more attention. This is a movie for immature teens - but its overall subject theme and gutter-level humor make it inappropriate for any age group. The fact that critics provided any positive reviews is alarming to the point that where I've always taken reviews as a guidleine at best - any critic who didn't despise this film has lost all credibility. Not to mention the fact that our society could possilbe enjoy this crap. Expand
  11. DW
    Oct 7, 2005
    I feel the need to be the lone, non-prudish voice to say that I felt this movie to be a total stinker. Rankness, that's fine, stupid humor, OK; I can even go along with a movie that looks like it was shot for the most part in a warehouse; but a lead character who switches from nebbish innocence to foul-mouthed smart-ass just to serve the joke of the moment undercuts character and I feel the need to be the lone, non-prudish voice to say that I felt this movie to be a total stinker. Rankness, that's fine, stupid humor, OK; I can even go along with a movie that looks like it was shot for the most part in a warehouse; but a lead character who switches from nebbish innocence to foul-mouthed smart-ass just to serve the joke of the moment undercuts character and wipes out the whole thing for me. Didn't it bother all the people who thought this movie was so sweet to have a scene where a strange man enters a young woman's bathroom while she's in the bathtub, and lasiviously remove his shirt in a way that could only portend to her (slutty or not) the beginning of a rape? Expand
  12. LenB.
    Dec 16, 2005
    What a disgusting movie! If this is what our young adults enjoy and think is funny, our country is in more trouble than I thought.
  13. DaveF.
    Sep 28, 2005
    Totally tasteless, fal-out-of-your-chair-laughing humor from start to finish.
  14. TravisC.
    Jul 18, 2006
    I could not, for the life of me, understand how anyone thought this movie was even average, much less ABOVE average. The "jokes" were stale, the characters uninteresting and unfunny, and this one-trick pony shot its wad way too early.
  15. JohnH.
    Aug 25, 2005
    Definitely one of the funniest comedies i've seen in a long time! Strongly recommended. A fun date movie too!
  16. Apr 2, 2014
    Judd Apatows comedy is worth watching this one is okay . Steve carell is a gay **** thats a fact . and his role was sad in this film but Apatow's comedy is something to enjoy . Grade C+
  17. JaneJ.
    Oct 8, 2005
    My best friend and I (both women) went to see this last night. Let me tell you the theatre was rolling in laughter. Some parts had me crying from laughing so hard. It just really had us all laughing in the theatre. I am taking my husband next week!
  18. LauraM.
    Aug 18, 2005
    Without Carrell at the soft chewy center this film would be just crass. Very smart juvenile humor. An intelligent penis joke.
  19. CharlieM.
    Aug 20, 2005
    This is the best comedy to come out of Hollywood in years. It was so refreshing to go to the movies and see an original, fresh, laugh 'till you cry flick. Hopefully it will start a trend that will show the studios you don't need one dimensional, seen them once you've seen them 100 times, actors like Vince, Luke and Will to make a comedy a hit. Great stuff!
  20. BARRYW.,jr.
    Aug 20, 2005
    Great movie...lots of fun.sweet, raunchy,crude,and hilarious...truly a good laugh a minute.
  21. ShirleyH.
    Aug 20, 2005
    HYSTERICAL!!! One of the few comedies in recent years surprisingly not reuined by the trailer! Even the chest-waxing scene remains hilarious despite seeing clips of it in the trailer & commercials for weeks!
  22. Matt
    Sep 1, 2005
    Funniest movie in years!!! If you like raunchy, but sweet comedy get out of your seat and go see this movie!!
  23. Rizza
    Sep 5, 2005
    Alessandra... Learn to take a joke... Sorry to say, but guys DO talk like this when they get together. You
  24. Roy
    Sep 5, 2005
    I haven't had as many down to the bone laughs as I got in this movie in many years. Some extremely funny stuff and I loved the parody of The Exorcist. I found Andy's love interest to not be a very good actress and as the end of the movie shifts over to their relationship, it loses pacing. The first half is a 10 however.
  25. EdM.
    Sep 6, 2005
    I almost s... myself from laughing so hard!
  26. Judy
    Sep 6, 2005
    Funny!!!!
  27. Tonydannie
    Jan 11, 2006
    I rented this thinking that I would be laughing my butt off. It was funny but not Laugh out loud funny. Was I Dissapointed? Maybe Little. But I think this one was Alot funnier then "Wedding Crashers."
  28. JeremyW.
    Jan 2, 2006
    A must have in anyones DVD collection that likes comedy. I was shocked on how funny this movie was. I would not pass this one up at all.
  29. RonL.
    Jan 30, 2006
    Worth a rental on a Saturday afternoon. Good fun. Not as good as Something About Mary or The Wedding Singer but in that vien - except cruder.
  30. karamh.
    Jan 4, 2006
    It is a very nice movie.

Steve Carell, best known as a team player on "The Daily Show," "The Office" and such movies as "Anchorman," earns top-banana status as Andy. He is flat-out hilarious.
  2. Sticking to one joke in an unconscionably long film makes for a very stale, witless and repetitive comedy.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Crude, sophomorically homophobic but frequently funny, pic also overstays its welcome a bit and indulges in some juvenile excesses. All told, though, The 40 Year Old Virgin delivers enough belly laughs.