6.9

1. Mar 4, 2011
    Rango was sold out so I had to settle. I was most gravely disappointed. The chase scenes were mediocre, the romance cliched, but the pitiful absence of philosophic acuity lost my interest. In fact, I fell asleep for fifteen minutes.

This is not to say that many will not enjoy this film. If you just want a fun thriller with a feel-good moral at the end and a resolution that will make you ponder fate and free will on the drive home from the cinema, then by all means, check it out.

The lead roles are played well. In fact, everyone except Mackie, who I suppose could use his assumed persona as an excuse for his inability to convey anything registering on the spectrum of emotions. However, since the others in his same "line of work" appear to possess a full palette, he sticks out like a sore thumb.

On the other hand, Damon is acting "better" then he ever did in Bourne Ultimatum. The first thirty minutes are magisterial. Once the character is "developed," though, the action takes over, and the film's quality goes steadily downhill. Damon's values, ambitions and personality are completely eroded by the overwhelming love interest. Apparently the best part of the movie simply serves ironically as a foil to draw attention to all the differences (read: shortcomings) of what comes afterward.

If the writer had the courage to make a drama and not a thriller catering to the public's flickering interest in the question of personal destiny, this might have made some Best of 2011 lists. As it is, it will be forgotten by the end of the month.
  2. May 24, 2011
    An absolutely terrible movie which tries to take itself seriously, but involves magic hats and other idiocies. In case you are wondering - yes, I did like Minority Report and yes, I do generally like Matt Damon.

The Adjustment Bureau has gotten surprisingly positive reviews, which has forced me to blacklist more than a few critics whose opinion I formerly trusted. This movie is so bad that recommending this movie is simply inexcusable. Peter Travers of Rolling Stone, you have moved up another spot on my trusted critic list!
  3. Mar 12, 2011
    The Adj. Bureau IS TRYING TO KEEP ME FROM WRITING THIS! I thought the original plot line was intriguing but found out implementing a story line and putting things into action,, obviously is a trip down an old rabbit hole. The ripple effect for me, is spending good money for something I couldn't eat, wear or take home. BASIC movie PREMISE; A bunch of inept goons, with "bad" hats walkThe Adj. Bureau IS TRYING TO KEEP ME FROM WRITING THIS! I thought the original plot line was intriguing but found out implementing a story line and putting things into action,, obviously is a trip down an old rabbit hole. The ripple effect for me, is spending good money for something I couldn't eat, wear or take home. BASIC movie PREMISE; A bunch of inept goons, with "bad" hats walk amongst us, with our life "plan" monitoring our actions and adjust it according to the "Chairman". They are not "angels" but sort of reference to angels, but not really....and the "Chairman" is not God, but sort, but not really. WT heck. Is Hollywood so religiously sterile it cant use the word God except in profanity? Secret doors and out of date I-pads to help them along the way. God forbid you fall in love, oops sorry "Chairman" forbid you fall in love and it doesn't meet with the approval of the "Chairman".. I thought the whole purpose of life was to love. So the "Chairman" in all his wisdom couldn't put together a better plan than goons in hats? AND, apparently Matt D. is the only person on earth that "uncovered" this destiny monitoring system. Convoluted, contrived, naive' are the only good things to say. Its an insult to any person with a gram of mental intelligence, to present an all knowing power running a "destiny" department with bureaucratic incompetence comparable to our current government officials. At least our representatives aren't walking around with bad hats yet! Expand
  4. Mar 4, 2011
    There was nothing memorable of it.It didn't have any effects at all,worst script and dialog I've ever heard and critics say it's a love story???The "love" which was going on in the movie was laughable because it was so synthetic.One of the worst movies I have seen this year so far.
  5. Mar 5, 2011
    One of the worst movies I've seen in a while. It's a good that I used a free movie pass on this movie, because I wouldn't pay to see it. It had really bad dialog, with a horrible ending. It starts out with potential in my opinion, then immediately drops all meaning half way through the film and turns out to be one of the worst love movie ever. Don't be fooled this movie is really bad.
  6. Mar 11, 2011
    This is the second worst movie I have ever seen (the first is The Blair Witch Project). I fell asleep for the last half an hour. I can't believe I paid to see something so idiotic. I can't believe Matt Damon signed up for that joke of a movie.
  7. Jul 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Started out great, but went downhill about halfway through. Matt Damon is over-cast for this role. Let's for one moment assume that you would really know that everything you and others do is manipulated by some higher power, how could you function ? You couldn't. The only way for anyone to live is by not knowing what even the next second brings. Expand
  8. May 3, 2011
    I didnt like the matrix, thought the ending of source code was lame but i would watch either of them again than having to endure the adjustment bureau once more. The start of the movie is great and i had such high hopes but then the movie tries to gain its strength on a love relationship which was never fully developed. Without the leading actor the movie would have gone straight to DVD.
  9. Aug 23, 2011
    Kind of a lame movie. I didn't like the story behind the bureau itself, and everything just seemed a little convoluted. See it once, just to get it out of your system, but no need to buy it or anything. Disappointing for a Matt Damon movie.
  10. Mar 12, 2011
    Man, I could really go for a Matt Damon movie with men in hats. If only one existed or promoted itself. :-(

Ben Affleck just scored 6 points against Matt Damon by not being in "The Adjustment Bureau."
  11. Mar 14, 2013
    The Adjustment Bureau is actually a good romantic movie but that's also its problem. It was marketed a science-fiction movie which it isn't because apart from a modern-day interpretation of a personal god and a bunch of modern Deus Ex devices that are never explained it doesn't have much science going for it. There barely any action and it's really all about David Norris (Matt Damon)The Adjustment Bureau is actually a good romantic movie but that's also its problem. It was marketed a science-fiction movie which it isn't because apart from a modern-day interpretation of a personal god and a bunch of modern Deus Ex devices that are never explained it doesn't have much science going for it. There barely any action and it's really all about David Norris (Matt Damon) getting his girl Elise Sellas (Emily Blunt) despite the powers that be in the form of Richardson (John Slattery) et al not wanting him to succeed. Of course, Matt Damon will find a way. Several ways, actually. And that's what this movie is about. A lot of running down a street, a lot of courting and a bunch of guys with 50's outifts and the guy getting his girl.(I think, I didn't bother watching the final third of the movie) I think this movie would work for people who like romantic movies as there's definitely some chemistry between Matt Damon and Emily Blunt, despite their conversations just being weird and more of a boyish fantasy than actual male-female interaction and the other actors seem to do an O.K job with the exception of Anthony Mackie who just seemed uncomfortable in his role. Or perhaps he's just not a very strong speaker, I had the idea that he had a speech impediment of sorts. Only go in expecting a romantic movie, anything else will sorely dissapoint you. Expand
  12. Jul 18, 2011
    Meh squared. But this review has to be at least 150 characters long which is weird because I feel like professional movie reviewers are limited to 150 characters. But in the end, this movie was meh.
  13. Mar 27, 2013
    The Adjustment Bureau tries to be like Inception, putting on some complicated dimension story but crumbles over illogical premises. Combined with Matt Damon who is sub par to say the least, the movie isn't worth seeing.
  14. Jul 4, 2012
    Not a movie, more like a terd, with huge hollywood names slapped on it, flushed out to the sea of loving fans, who will all say how great it was to their friends.. Just like I got douped. Concept = City of Angels meets, Matrix meets, What dreams May Come with Robin Williams..(in my opinion the other worst movie ever made)

1. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Mar 7, 2011
    It's a clever idea that, around the mid-point, stumbles into absurdity as the movie itself makes too many lunatic choices.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Mar 4, 2011
    If the head of the bureau is God, then why is he played by Terence Stamp and not Morgan Freeman?
  3. Reviewed by: Shawn Levy
    Mar 4, 2011
    Ultimately, The Adjustment Bureau shifts from paranoid dystopia to a more hopeful tenor, and that weakens it slightly.