7.7

1. Feb 7, 2012
    A good movie, that I truly like. I have it in my movie collection. This is by no means one of those Hollywood blockbusters. Although at times it feels slow, it is still engaging and witty. Dialogues are sharp and humorous while there is always an ingredient of sentimentality and nostalgy . The movie deals with themes as frienship, love, passion, betrayal, trust, compassion. Hence, it is much more than just another gay comedy for it is a film that explores the different human dimensions. Overall, The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, is endearing, touching, and enlightening. It is powerful, without being over emotional or cheesy. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Expand

Writer-director Stephan Elliott is obviously fond of his characters, and this may account for the upbeat story line, but it blinds him to how very annoying two hours of dishing can be.
  2. Reviewed by: Robert Faires
    Where drag is concerned, though, the film does anything but drag; Elliott has no compunction about restraint, and Priscilla gushes with bitchy repartee, campy comedy, sappy Seventies pop (Abba! “Billy, Don't Be a Hero”! “Take a Letter, Maria”!), and production numbers so outrageous, they make the Divine Miss M's excess look like the efforts of a Baptist boys' camp.
  3. This nicely made 1994 comedy-drama could be described as an Australian "Easy Rider," with Sydney drag queens instead of bikers and no apocalyptic ending.