4.5

1. Oct 17, 2011
    Terribly written and played with crappy CGI, "The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl" is definitely one of the year's worst adult, and well as child, films.
  2. ch
    Jul 1, 2005
    Worst kids movie of the year. unbelievably crappy.
  3. ryanj.
    Sep 6, 2005
    Anyone who thinks popcorn commercialised peices of contempoary, not even contempoary but martek orientated crap should have their IQ tested and then get back to me with the LOW score.
  4. SangHeeJ.
    Jul 2, 2005
    Waste of money, time, and brain cells. This movie's only attraction is the 3-D and even that was obnoxious...stupid waste of money. It was supposed to calm the kinds I was babysitting, not make them as disgusted as I was.
  5. GrantW.
    Jun 9, 2005
    Two words came to mind while I was watching Shark Boy and Lava Girl, "THIS BLOWS"
  6. marya
    Jul 1, 2005
    Awful. braindead. boring. my kids hated it as much as i did.
  7. billw.
    Jul 1, 2005
    Regret this movie's existence. painfully bad, even for a kids movie.
  8. Jan 19, 2011
    This movie has the lowest form of graphics ever. Plus, it's EXTREMELY CRAPPY!!!!!
  9. Dec 21, 2012
    WHAT THE **** is this piece of ****? Are you kidding me?! I'm so angry it makes me bleed out of my eyeballs! Seriously, just...watch it and see for yourself how bad it is. Quick! Incinerate all the copies in the world!
  10. BKerr
    Jul 1, 2005
    Poor. falls flat. waste of time and money.
  11. janem
    Jul 1, 2005
    Want to piss off your children? take them to this ugly, uninspired, insulting movie.
  12. rt
    Jul 1, 2005
    Can't stand movies that talk down to kids. an annoying movie.
  13. MichaelF.
    Jun 30, 2006
    i thought 3-d would be an intresting movie choice. baaaaaad idea. many effects can easily be considered unrealistic and the plotline is just too horrible. non-recommendation, but i've seen worse.
  14. LouisH.
    Mar 21, 2007
    This movie was absolutely HORRIBLE!!! The jokes are lame, the story is bad, and the animation is even worse! Like the spykids series, it just got worse and worse as the movie went on. DO NOT see it, you'll ruin your eyes!
  15. HellAngelS
    Feb 5, 2009
    Did the directors, who make good or decent films stop trying to work hard on their later work?
  16. jackf
    Nov 1, 2005
    My poor children my poor poor children. i wonder how many hit lists Rodriguez is on now.
  17. SamR.
    Oct 25, 2005
    I went to see this with my son. Frankly, it made me want to strangle myself in my seat with my tie. Never, ever go see this movie, whether you're 5 or 50. Run for your life.
  18. mattw.
    Oct 30, 2005
    The worst pathetic piece of cr@p of a movie ever to destroy the poor inocent minds of thousands of small children pitifuly unfortunate enough to get draged along to this.
  19. Fins
    Jun 13, 2005
    Dumb dumb dumb. my kids were uncomfortable. robert owes me thirty bucks.
  20. BenV.
    An utter piece of crap.
  21. andrea
    Jun 16, 2005
    Bad for kids, worse for adults. I quote another 'reviewer' who said, 'What RR proves is his ability to make movies no one wants to see but in an interesting way.' let's hope that there will be a sequel that no one wants to see.
  22. Tonydannie
    Jun 19, 2005
    What was Rodriguez Smoking? This year he gets my hopes up for his work after seeing Sin City then he does a 180 on me and decides to make this junk. He was betteroff calling this Spy Kids 4!! For Shame Robert..For shame!
  23. TomDuck
    Jun 9, 2005
    Just saw this at an advance screening and I'd like to ask, simply, what's wrong with Mr. Rodriguez making a bad movie now and then? Sure, as the same American public who anted up box office success for Geo Lucas and his most recent cinematic cough drop, we'd like to expect that Rodriguez barfs gold every time he picks up the phone to call his agent, his development people, Just saw this at an advance screening and I'd like to ask, simply, what's wrong with Mr. Rodriguez making a bad movie now and then? Sure, as the same American public who anted up box office success for Geo Lucas and his most recent cinematic cough drop, we'd like to expect that Rodriguez barfs gold every time he picks up the phone to call his agent, his development people, who-have-you. Fact of the matter is, he owes us - yes OWES - us a really bad movie and this may be the first [not counting Dusk til Dawn, or the movie about Mexico that was all shooty and dumb] of several movies intermingled with his usual platter of raw and bombastic entertainment that will be considered sub-par. Of course, that's not to say you shouldn't shell out $15 to go see this head-scratcher! It is Robert Rodriguez after all, and he's made such a large number of fairly good to really good films, it almost encourages a viewer to use their imagination a little - settle into your seat and imagine a long string of shots from another film he's made and I'm sure you're bound to enjoy yourself, if only slightly. Expand
  24. joses.
    Aug 29, 2005
    I've seen a lot of films in my time. But this was undoubtedly the biggest piece of crapola that I've ever witnessed. Warning: Do not pay a cent for this turkey!!!
  25. PamelaL.
    Jan 4, 2008
    I think there should be someway of stopping little kids from commenting on this movie. Obviously they're going to give it a score. This movie is good for everybody under 8. For everybody else it's just a stupid random piece of junk. The 3D is clearly there to make up for the 1 dimensional characters. Unfortunatly the 3D just makes the movie look dumber, as for the jokes, I did I think there should be someway of stopping little kids from commenting on this movie. Obviously they're going to give it a score. This movie is good for everybody under 8. For everybody else it's just a stupid random piece of junk. The 3D is clearly there to make up for the 1 dimensional characters. Unfortunatly the 3D just makes the movie look dumber, as for the jokes, I did even smile at them. Half the time I couldn't even tell that they were supposed to be jokes. It seemed as though the characters were just pointless stating facts. And did I mention the acting, it sucked! Also it's unfair that a young boy gets to come up with stories from movies, just because his father is a director. All kids have a great imagination, what makes Racer's ideas so special. I could write a better story than him without even trying Expand
  26. collinj
    Sep 8, 2008
    Horrid movie, what ever age you are it will live with you as the worst 90 of your life. George Lopez at his worst. i was forced to watch it with my niece and wanted to shoot myself the entire time
  27. May 24, 2012
    The acting is terrible, the plot is boring, the graphics are ordinary and the overall presentation is horrible. Everything in this movie is terribly bad................
  28. May 25, 2012
    It has the imagination and the colorful visuals, but the story and characters lifelessness just makes it average and it negatively affects the experience.
  29. Nov 21, 2011
    This has to be the worst 'movie' I've ever seen. I saw only 20 minutes, because it was so unbearable I had to ragequit. The 'movie' is embarrassing and it seems like guys responsible for this were on drugs! What is worst is that my country released dubbing which makes everything even WORSE!!!
  30. DiegoR
    May 10, 2009
    Yo this movie is the bomb dogs! It's like hardcore shizizit for the hole faimly! It has the hardcore action of movies like Rambo, the drama of Indiana Jones, the suspense of Silence of the Lambs, and the family values of Blue's Clues and Bob the Builder. It's like a Clockwork Orange meets the Davinci Code as this thinking man's epic reveals the flaws within our Yo this movie is the bomb dogs! It's like hardcore shizizit for the hole faimly! It has the hardcore action of movies like Rambo, the drama of Indiana Jones, the suspense of Silence of the Lambs, and the family values of Blue's Clues and Bob the Builder. It's like a Clockwork Orange meets the Davinci Code as this thinking man's epic reveals the flaws within our capitalistic society and the greed of corporate America. It's seering criticism of the Bush administration shows a world torn by war and corporate chauvinism and challenges traditional concepts of gender relationships and racial issues. Expand
  31. austinh.
    Jul 3, 2005
    This is a very awsome movie vote for a ten.
  32. MalcomM.
    Oct 25, 2005
    Hey, whaddya expect from a 'child-at-heart' daddy & his teeny-weeny-year-old son movie collaboration? A cute cupcake movie, hehe. Still, its sweetness will probably last only for awhile before your tummy starts grumbling for a heavier and more savoury desert. The 3d effects does look gimmicky and cheezy, but i understand it was all made in the name of fun. The execution of the Hey, whaddya expect from a 'child-at-heart' daddy & his teeny-weeny-year-old son movie collaboration? A cute cupcake movie, hehe. Still, its sweetness will probably last only for awhile before your tummy starts grumbling for a heavier and more savoury desert. The 3d effects does look gimmicky and cheezy, but i understand it was all made in the name of fun. The execution of the effects look rushed though, as there were some major flaws in the compositing with the live action and 3D world. I'm sure Rodriguez had much better things to do with his other upcoming projects than to scrutinize the technical details of his child's film. Or maybe he left that role of supervising to his kiddy son??? Anyway, the movie did offer some creative yet juvenile moments of mini-genius ideas all rolled into a big fat supersized burger. Seriously appetizing & cute. But not yummy enough. Darn, there goes my tummy. Expand
  33. jameek.
    Oct 6, 2005
    It was to much like spy kids, but it was cute.
  34. CRITIC
    Feb 18, 2006
    Shark boy and Lava Girl really is a decent movie. But is the 3D necessary?Whats with the director's obsession with 3D?
  35. Aug 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Muito ruim,pecimo.nao gostei,e chato, Expand
  36. Sep 18, 2012
    It might not be as good as the 3 Spy Kids movies, but The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl is definitely a 2-D experience instead of 3-D. Sure the movie was a disappointment, but this is Taylor Lautner's first film before he was Jacob in the "Twilight" series. How hard can it be? I knew it got bad reviews, but since they said it was going to be bad, did they still watch Spy Kids 1-3 andIt might not be as good as the 3 Spy Kids movies, but The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl is definitely a 2-D experience instead of 3-D. Sure the movie was a disappointment, but this is Taylor Lautner's first film before he was Jacob in the "Twilight" series. How hard can it be? I knew it got bad reviews, but since they said it was going to be bad, did they still watch Spy Kids 1-3 and usually blame a 3-D kids movie by Robert Rodriguez? No. They just want to be the center of attention yip-yapping those negative feedbacks. I gotta give credit to Robert Rodriguez. Even though he still has a loyal fanbase to those who want to become the next Antonio Banderas or Salma Hayek, he still makes more action movies like Sin City and Machete. That's a good director, maybe he will be making his star into the Hollywood Walk of Fame someday. It's a great movie if you haven't seen it, I watched a little bit on the Cartoon Network. But great job, Mr. Rodriguez. Expand
  37. Aug 28, 2011
    My classroom loved it!! I have seen worse movies all of the Disney movies SUCK and are nothing but a waste of money. I thought this movie was unique, creative and very entertaining.
  38. AyshaleeR.
    Jun 3, 2006
    Nice movie i love to watch it all day first when i saw that the movie was coming out i fell in love with shark boy! but lava girl is asume too!
  39. EzraH
    Aug 3, 2008
    It my favorite movie !I love Sharkboy and Lavagirl and others.I wish Robert Rodriguez can bring them back. And saw them in my dream!
  40. DeedraG.
    Oct 12, 2005
    I give this movie a 10 because,Sharkboy is really,really,cute and pluse its a very good movie.
  41. estheratorc.
    Oct 4, 2005
    I thort it was cool lots of good themes and i can c how some ppl would hate it but for almost the same reasons i loved it.
  42. BrittanyD.
    Jun 13, 2005
    I think this movie is aswem.The 3-D is very convincing.The best part about this movie is Shark Boy.He is HOT!!!
  43. BeccaA.
    Jun 25, 2005
    I likeed the movie it was so awesome i loved it so much i want to owe the movie so bad. And i think sharkboy is super cute, I love sharkboy so much.
  44. kiahm.
    I love this movie!!!!
  45. k8noneofyourbisness
    Jul 31, 2005
    If you did not like it you are the most stupid person in the whole world....it is the best thats why i voted it a 10 you jerk.
  46. kiahm.
    Sep 25, 2005
    I love this movie!!!!
  47. RD.
    Feb 27, 2007
    Very cheesy but ultiamtely entertaining. Not so bad as some might rate it. The visuals are great.
  48. antoinettek.
    Oct 20, 2005
    It was the greatest movie ever!! i love the whole movie.
  49. CatherineW.
    Jun 18, 2005
    This movie would have sucked if it weren't in 3-d, but it was actually pretty cool. Very trippy.
  50. TiffanyB.
    Jun 28, 2005
    I loved the movie. especialy shark boy he is so fine!!!!!
  51. GodH.
    Sep 9, 2005
    It was the best movie ever.
  52. ElizabethR.
    Oct 1, 2006
    I love this movie. I could keep watching it over and over again. I loved everything about this movie.
  53. RyanK.
    Dec 21, 2006
    It's the bestest and my faverite film!
  54. ZariaB.
    Jun 3, 2006
    They are the best. They are so fun. I wish I could go to the park with them. I wish Lava Girl could have Lava Girl Ice Cream. I wish Shark Boy could have a Sushi Ice Cream. I wish Lava Girl could come to my house for a sleep over. I wish Lava Girl could eat toast with me. Shark Boy and Lava Girl please come to my house. I love you Zaria 4 years old.
  55. OlgaT.
    Feb 14, 2008
    This is the best kids movie I have seen in years. Critics who don't like it have NO imagination. The movie is fantastically entertaining, the visuals are amazing and the actors are charming. Bravo for the Rodriguez family! Please make more movies.
  56. BrandonJ.
    May 27, 2008
    For those of you who say kids hate it: If you haven't noticed, every single kid, and only the kids, have posted on here saying they love the movie; it's only older kids and parents that will be likely to hate this.
  57. Jasonc
    Nov 1, 2005
    I loved this movie Shark boy is relly HOT!!!!!!!!
  58. AMIE
    Nov 23, 2005
    I thought it was very creative. It may not be for adults, but the kids love it. That is who it was made for, and that is what counts. I am 25 and my daughter loved it we watch it everyday. I wish I had the resources to do something like that with my kids.
  59. KrisM
    Nov 24, 2005
    Shark Boy is the HOTTEST guy on the planet!!!!
  60. TiffanyJ.
    Oct 22, 2005
    Hey i liked the movie and im only 10 but sharkboy is soo cute.And the movie brillient.
  61. aimr.
    Jun 11, 2005
    This movie is the epitome of pitiful movies. CORNY is an understatement.
  62. TylerC.
    Jun 12, 2005
    The best movie ever.
  63. Sky
    Jun 12, 2005
    I think Shark Boy is VERY cute!!!
  64. H.Woodward
    Good for kids.
  65. ZainaZ.
    Jun 14, 2005
    I loved your movie i really really do i wanted to be just like lova girl and me little brother wanted to be just like shark boy he really did me favorite part was when they crashed into maxes room my little brothers favoritepart wasthe begening.
  66. ToriM.
    Jun 16, 2005
    While I was watching this movie the only thing I thought about was action. But what mostly caught my eye was shark boy (Taylor Lautner)!! HE IS SO HOTTTTTT!!!!! me and my friend have about 50 pictures of him in a personal scrapbook! LOL!!!
  67. drew
    Jun 16, 2005
    Wow, so bad. so so very very bad. was that a movie or a leathery and limp attempt to pry movie-tie in dollars from the hands of weak parents? next time, just sell us the concept, offer us the cheap breakable kid's meal toys at taco bell and save yourself the trouble of making such a pathetically bad film.
  68. beccac.c.
    Jun 24, 2005
    I thought it was cool i loved the 3d action i hope they make a seque all you people who gave it a 5 and under dont have good movie taste.
  69. RobC
    Jun 24, 2005
    Three words could have saved us all a lot of wasted time and money...straight to video.
  70. RW
    Jun 26, 2005
    This Movie Sucked Eggs!!!
  71. Paige(Sharkgirl)B.
    Jun 27, 2005
    This movie was AWSOME! I would not have liked tis movie if it wernt for the great crime fighting kung-fu by the well known hottie Taylor Lautner. He is the whole movie to me!
  72. jamesh.
    Jun 28, 2005
    The 3d graphics were amazing and i want to see it again.
  73. nikita
    Jun 28, 2005
    I love the part when lava girl kisses shark boy & then shark boy makes a funny face & it is kind of cute.
  74. haydenJ.
    Jun 29, 2005
    I liked this movie alot. the action was great. i bet you bruce lee couldnt do better kuing fu than Sharkboy. Lavagirl was awesome. The ice princess was hot, i want her to marry me.
  75. HunterL.
    Jul 14, 2005
    This is the best I will ever see.
  76. chrisd
    Jul 31, 2005
    This was the worst excuse for a film I've seen in a long time. It says it all that the people on here who've given it high marks have left such thoroughly retarded comments.
  77. MarkB.
    Aug 11, 2005
    3-D movies have been with us for over 50 years, but with the recent exception of several impressive IMAX-screen documentaries by James Cameron and others, there seems to be no point to it whatsoever. The very few good films ever made in the 3-D format (Hitchcock's Dial M for Murder, the original Creature from the Black Lagoon, the John Wayne western Hondo, the Vincent Price version 3-D movies have been with us for over 50 years, but with the recent exception of several impressive IMAX-screen documentaries by James Cameron and others, there seems to be no point to it whatsoever. The very few good films ever made in the 3-D format (Hitchcock's Dial M for Murder, the original Creature from the Black Lagoon, the John Wayne western Hondo, the Vincent Price version of House of Wax) didn't need it; the bad ones that employed it (virtually everything else) had practically nothing going for them otherwise. At least Robert Rodriguez, here as in his previous effort Spy Kids 3-D, attempts to do a lot more than just throw stuff at the audience; he really tries to create a livable, credible multidimensional world. The trouble is that, as in the slapdash Spy Kids 3-D (which this is admittedly a slight improvement over), his grasp of the necessary visual technology (or the budget needed to acquire it) doesn't quite match his ambitions, and so both films end up looking unpleasantly and rather tediously dark and murky. This one DOES have the excuse of mostly being set on a distant planet, but even so, the non-3-D ("Glasses Off") sequences back on Earth are a relief to come back to; Rodriguez inadvertently gives us a Wizard of Oz in reverse, wherein the "real world" ends up being a lot more colorful and inviting than the imaginary one. The title characters (Sharkboy, played abrasively by Taylor Lautner; Lavagirl, appealingly played by Taylor Dooley, who, as adults used to say more often than they do now, is going to be a real heartbreaker when she grows up) are the fantasies of Max (Cayden Boyd, playing an average kid and giving an average performance); as they call upon Max to rescue their home planet, much talk about dreams ensues. Did I say MUCH talk? The chatter never ends; this movie is endlessly preachy, stilted and didactic in pontificating its "Dreaming Is Good" philosophy, occasionally giving us a rest by punctuating it with a clever visual bit or intentionally terrible pun. This is a common malady of many failed kids' movies; it's undeniably well-intentioned but has the effect of talking down to the audience in the same manner as all the pro-reading messages that sank the great animator Chuck Jones' 1970 feature-length effort The Phantom Tollbooth. The world that Sharkboy and Lavagirl live on is called Planet Drool, but unfortunately most of the drooling is going to be done by parents on their laps or the theater floor as they nod off to sleep--and dream of watching a really good Robert Rodriguez movie like one of the first two Spy Kids flicks...or even ditching the kids altogether and checking out Sin City again! Expand
  78. JeffM.
    Jul 19, 2006
    Bad. Painful. Horrible. Then the musical number started. If my kid didn't like it so much, I would run the disc over with my car.
  79. EH
    Aug 18, 2007
    This movie is simply amazing. Those of you who insult it for its poor visuals or 'lame' jokes just aren't looking hard enough. The theme of the movie is beautiful. Everything starts with a dream. If you've forgotten that, there's no way you could like this movie. But hopefully, you'll wath it again. Then maybe you'll remember.
  80. Marco
    Nov 15, 2005
    Great kids movie, it's not supposed to appeal to adults...duh. Let your kids watch it and tell you if they like it. That's the true test.
  81. StephanieD
    Nov 18, 2007
    This movie sucked so bad i wanted to throw up during the whole movie. Fake Fake piece of crap. Only someone so stupid and imature would even watch this more than once oh nd for the record sharkboy is UGLY all yous have bad taste both in movies nd guys. o and lava gurl is ugly and stupid. all are idiots for liking it BIGGEST PICE OF S*** ON EARTH.
  82. Aug 2, 2012
    ACTING - 4
    ACTING - 4
    The acting left a lot to be desired in this movie. Everything seemed so unrealistic. The best actor was probably Taylor Dooley. She did a wonderful job of getting mad, and could be very sweet when she needed to be. Taylor Lautner was okay, but he portrayed Sharkboy as a character that was always mad, and it became monotonous after the first twenty minutes or so. Cayden Boyd Was okay as Max, but he seemed uninterested at times, and he looked like he was about to throw up when he was supposed to be crying, which left a bad taste in my mouth.

PLOT - 3
    The plot was very disconnected and felt like it kept changing all of the time, which left me confused at points. The plot seemed utterly ridiculous in the first place, causing all of the changes to just make it worse.

SPECIAL EFFECTS - 7
    For constant special effects composed in a 2005 film, this was a good attempt. The lava was almost realistic and Mr. Electric was somewhat impressive. Although some special effects were awfully cheesy, most of them were pretty solid.

OVERALL - 4.6 (4)
    Although Sharkboy and Lavagirl may impress toddlers, it will not impress anyone else. As a "family film", it leaves the rest of the family in pure torture of having to sit through this.
  83. Apr 29, 2013
    Robert Rodriguez loses his Spy Kids style in Sharkboy & Lavagirl. The script is terrible and drowsy, and the action is quite frankly, boring if not so imaginative it sucks. It aims to be a kids movie, but is Rodriguez the right director for kids?
  84. Aug 18, 2013
    I was very young when I watched this film and I seemed to enjoy it a lot in my early days. I recall it as being one of my favourite films as young one. I recently watched sharkboy and lavagirl again as a teenager and was just appalled. First off, the cgi is god awful in this film and it looked as though it was made for a toys r us advert! The whole concept is just f@!&ing bulls%^t andI was very young when I watched this film and I seemed to enjoy it a lot in my early days. I recall it as being one of my favourite films as young one. I recently watched sharkboy and lavagirl again as a teenager and was just appalled. First off, the cgi is god awful in this film and it looked as though it was made for a toys r us advert! The whole concept is just f@!&ing bulls%^t and honestly could've been written by a 5 year old. Some may argue in saying that it was built for young children and it is and many children and toddlers enjoy it. But the kid films that really entertain are the one's that are built for ALL ages. Why do you think disney/pixar films are so popular? So, sharkboy and lavagirl is a good film to put on for your children when they are very young but if they decide to watch it again when they are older like me...they're probably going to be dissapointed. Expand
  85. Mar 24, 2013
    Terrible is honestly an understatement.
  86. Aug 5, 2013
    The only saving grace that can be said about this Spy Kids lookalike is that it has amusing 3-D effects which is, unfortunately, the only real positive thing about this laughably scripted kids flick.
  87. Dec 27, 2013
    What is this movie?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
  88. Jul 9, 2014
    Whenever dealing with terrible action movies, one can find that the special effects are the only redeeming quality. Not in this case: the CGI looks like cutout, and, coupled with the corny storyline, idiotic humor, and bizarre plot, Robert Rodriguez takes Spy Kids far beyond what is both entertaining and interesting.
  89. Mar 23, 2014
    The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl will most likely be a drag for adults, but the kiddies will enjoy it. If you can overlook the horrible CGI and bland special effects, you might be able to sit through this one.
  90. May 3, 2014
    While entertaining, this film drops scores based on it's plot, special effects, characters, writing, presentation, acting, & not forgetting a ridiculous amount of silly moments that made me feel like the film was deliberately trying to put me off, kids will probably love this film, but anyone aged 10 & over may find this film too off putting for all the reasons mentioned above!
  91. Mar 21, 2014
    totally girly the fact Co- director of sin city Robert Rodriguez made sharkboy and added taylor laughtner which talyor is a **** . it is okay and i like the ending . still waste of my time
    Grade D-
  92. Jul 12, 2014
    Apart from having cheesy green screen effects, The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl 3-D forks over some positive messages and never ending inventiveness, a must see in 3-D!

1. An often imaginative though less than magical family feature.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Pretty lame. Sharkboy has an especially frantic, amateur atmosphere, with a mostly maladroit cast.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Leydon
    There's little chance of grabbing teens (or even many tweens) during summertime playdates. Still, small fry will be enchanted by this rambunctious action-adventure.