4.5

1. Oct 17, 2011
    Terribly written and played with crappy CGI, "The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl" is definitely one of the year's worst adult, and well as child, films.
  2. ch
    Jul 1, 2005
    Worst kids movie of the year. unbelievably crappy.
  3. ryanj.
    Sep 6, 2005
    Anyone who thinks popcorn commercialised peices of contempoary, not even contempoary but martek orientated crap should have their IQ tested and then get back to me with the LOW score.
  4. SangHeeJ.
    Jul 2, 2005
    Waste of money, time, and brain cells. This movie's only attraction is the 3-D and even that was obnoxious...stupid waste of money. It was supposed to calm the kinds I was babysitting, not make them as disgusted as I was.
  5. GrantW.
    Jun 9, 2005
    Two words came to mind while I was watching Shark Boy and Lava Girl, "THIS BLOWS"
  6. marya
    Jul 1, 2005
    Awful. braindead. boring. my kids hated it as much as i did.
  7. billw.
    Jul 1, 2005
    Regret this movie's existence. painfully bad, even for a kids movie.
  8. Jan 19, 2011
    This movie has the lowest form of graphics ever. Plus, it's EXTREMELY CRAPPY!!!!!
  9. Dec 21, 2012
    WHAT THE **** is this piece of ****? Are you kidding me?! I'm so angry it makes me bleed out of my eyeballs! Seriously, just...watch it and see for yourself how bad it is. Quick! Incinerate all the copies in the world!
  10. BKerr
    Jul 1, 2005
    Poor. falls flat. waste of time and money.
  11. janem
    Jul 1, 2005
    Want to piss off your children? take them to this ugly, uninspired, insulting movie.
  12. rt
    Jul 1, 2005
    Can't stand movies that talk down to kids. an annoying movie.
  13. MichaelF.
    Jun 30, 2006
    i thought 3-d would be an intresting movie choice. baaaaaad idea. many effects can easily be considered unrealistic and the plotline is just too horrible. non-recommendation, but i've seen worse.
  14. LouisH.
    Mar 21, 2007
    This movie was absolutely HORRIBLE!!! The jokes are lame, the story is bad, and the animation is even worse! Like the spykids series, it just got worse and worse as the movie went on. DO NOT see it, you'll ruin your eyes!
  15. HellAngelS
    Feb 5, 2009
    Did the directors, who make good or decent films stop trying to work hard on their later work?
  16. jackf
    Nov 1, 2005
    My poor children my poor poor children. i wonder how many hit lists Rodriguez is on now.
  17. SamR.
    Oct 25, 2005
    I went to see this with my son. Frankly, it made me want to strangle myself in my seat with my tie. Never, ever go see this movie, whether you're 5 or 50. Run for your life.
  18. mattw.
    Oct 30, 2005
    The worst pathetic piece of cr@p of a movie ever to destroy the poor inocent minds of thousands of small children pitifuly unfortunate enough to get draged along to this.
  19. Fins
    Jun 13, 2005
    Dumb dumb dumb. my kids were uncomfortable. robert owes me thirty bucks.
  20. BenV.
    Jun 13, 2005
    An utter piece of crap.
  21. andrea
    Jun 16, 2005
    Bad for kids, worse for adults. I quote another 'reviewer' who said, 'What RR proves is his ability to make movies no one wants to see but in an interesting way.' let's hope that there will be a sequel that no one wants to see.
  22. Tonydannie
    Jun 19, 2005
    What was Rodriguez Smoking? This year he gets my hopes up for his work after seeing Sin City then he does a 180 on me and decides to make this junk. He was betteroff calling this Spy Kids 4!! For Shame Robert..For shame!
  23. TomDuck
    Jun 9, 2005
    Just saw this at an advance screening and I'd like to ask, simply, what's wrong with Mr. Rodriguez making a bad movie now and then? Sure, as the same American public who anted up box office success for Geo Lucas and his most recent cinematic cough drop, we'd like to expect that Rodriguez barfs gold every time he picks up the phone to call his agent, his development people, Just saw this at an advance screening and I'd like to ask, simply, what's wrong with Mr. Rodriguez making a bad movie now and then? Sure, as the same American public who anted up box office success for Geo Lucas and his most recent cinematic cough drop, we'd like to expect that Rodriguez barfs gold every time he picks up the phone to call his agent, his development people, who-have-you. Fact of the matter is, he owes us - yes OWES - us a really bad movie and this may be the first [not counting Dusk til Dawn, or the movie about Mexico that was all shooty and dumb] of several movies intermingled with his usual platter of raw and bombastic entertainment that will be considered sub-par. Of course, that's not to say you shouldn't shell out $15 to go see this head-scratcher! It is Robert Rodriguez after all, and he's made such a large number of fairly good to really good films, it almost encourages a viewer to use their imagination a little - settle into your seat and imagine a long string of shots from another film he's made and I'm sure you're bound to enjoy yourself, if only slightly. Expand
  24. joses.
    Aug 29, 2005
    I've seen a lot of films in my time. But this was undoubtedly the biggest piece of crapola that I've ever witnessed. Warning: Do not pay a cent for this turkey!!!
  25. PamelaL.
    Jan 4, 2008
    I think there should be someway of stopping little kids from commenting on this movie. Obviously they're going to give it a score. This movie is good for everybody under 8. For everybody else it's just a stupid random piece of junk. The 3D is clearly there to make up for the 1 dimensional characters. Unfortunatly the 3D just makes the movie look dumber, as for the jokes, I did I think there should be someway of stopping little kids from commenting on this movie. Obviously they're going to give it a score. This movie is good for everybody under 8. For everybody else it's just a stupid random piece of junk. The 3D is clearly there to make up for the 1 dimensional characters. Unfortunatly the 3D just makes the movie look dumber, as for the jokes, I did even smile at them. Half the time I couldn't even tell that they were supposed to be jokes. It seemed as though the characters were just pointless stating facts. And did I mention the acting, it sucked! Also it's unfair that a young boy gets to come up with stories from movies, just because his father is a director. All kids have a great imagination, what makes Racer's ideas so special. I could write a better story than him without even trying Expand
  26. collinj
    Sep 8, 2008
    Horrid movie, what ever age you are it will live with you as the worst 90 of your life. George Lopez at his worst. i was forced to watch it with my niece and wanted to shoot myself the entire time
  27. May 24, 2012
    The acting is terrible, the plot is boring, the graphics are ordinary and the overall presentation is horrible. Everything in this movie is terribly bad................
  28. Nov 21, 2011
    This has to be the worst 'movie' I've ever seen. I saw only 20 minutes, because it was so unbearable I had to ragequit. The 'movie' is embarrassing and it seems like guys responsible for this were on drugs! What is worst is that my country released dubbing which makes everything even WORSE!!!
  29. aimr.
    Jun 11, 2005
    This movie is the epitome of pitiful movies. CORNY is an understatement.
  30. drew
    Jun 16, 2005
    Wow, so bad. so so very very bad. was that a movie or a leathery and limp attempt to pry movie-tie in dollars from the hands of weak parents? next time, just sell us the concept, offer us the cheap breakable kid's meal toys at taco bell and save yourself the trouble of making such a pathetically bad film.
  31. RobC
    Jun 24, 2005
    Three words could have saved us all a lot of wasted time and money...straight to video.
  32. RW
    Jun 26, 2005
    This Movie Sucked Eggs!!!
  33. chrisd
    Jul 31, 2005
    This was the worst excuse for a film I've seen in a long time. It says it all that the people on here who've given it high marks have left such thoroughly retarded comments.
  34. JeffM.
    Jul 19, 2006
    Bad. Painful. Horrible. Then the musical number started. If my kid didn't like it so much, I would run the disc over with my car.
  35. StephanieD
    Nov 18, 2007
    This movie sucked so bad i wanted to throw up during the whole movie. Fake Fake piece of crap. Only someone so stupid and imature would even watch this more than once oh nd for the record sharkboy is UGLY all yous have bad taste both in movies nd guys. o and lava gurl is ugly and stupid. all are idiots for liking it BIGGEST PICE OF S*** ON EARTH.
  36. Apr 29, 2013
    Robert Rodriguez loses his Spy Kids style in Sharkboy & Lavagirl. The script is terrible and drowsy, and the action is quite frankly, boring if not so imaginative it sucks. It aims to be a kids movie, but is Rodriguez the right director for kids?
  37. Aug 18, 2013
    I was very young when I watched this film and I seemed to enjoy it a lot in my early days. I recall it as being one of my favourite films as young one. I recently watched sharkboy and lavagirl again as a teenager and was just appalled. First off, the cgi is god awful in this film and it looked as though it was made for a toys r us advert! The whole concept is just f@!&ing bulls%^t andI was very young when I watched this film and I seemed to enjoy it a lot in my early days. I recall it as being one of my favourite films as young one. I recently watched sharkboy and lavagirl again as a teenager and was just appalled. First off, the cgi is god awful in this film and it looked as though it was made for a toys r us advert! The whole concept is just f@!&ing bulls%^t and honestly could've been written by a 5 year old. Some may argue in saying that it was built for young children and it is and many children and toddlers enjoy it. But the kid films that really entertain are the one's that are built for ALL ages. Why do you think disney/pixar films are so popular? So, sharkboy and lavagirl is a good film to put on for your children when they are very young but if they decide to watch it again when they are older like me...they're probably going to be dissapointed. Expand
  38. Mar 24, 2013
    Terrible is honestly an understatement.
  39. Dec 27, 2013
    What is this movie?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
  40. Jul 9, 2014
    Whenever dealing with terrible action movies, one can find that the special effects are the only redeeming quality. Not in this case: the CGI looks like cutout, and, coupled with the corny storyline, idiotic humor, and bizarre plot, Robert Rodriguez takes Spy Kids far beyond what is both entertaining and interesting.
  41. May 3, 2014
    While entertaining, this film drops scores based on it's plot, special effects, characters, writing, presentation, acting, & not forgetting a ridiculous amount of silly moments that made me feel like the film was deliberately trying to put me off, kids will probably love this film, but anyone aged 10 & over may find this film too off putting for all the reasons mentioned above!

1. An often imaginative though less than magical family feature.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Pretty lame. Sharkboy has an especially frantic, amateur atmosphere, with a mostly maladroit cast.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Leydon
    There's little chance of grabbing teens (or even many tweens) during summertime playdates. Still, small fry will be enchanted by this rambunctious action-adventure.