The Adventures of Tintin

7.8

1. Sep 20, 2013
    A zealous Spielberg film bursting at the seams with energy and spirit. Even though it is animated, this is not a bad thing; it gives Spielberg a bigger canvas to work on, and what he can't do in his live action movies he can do in Tin-Tin.
  2. Jan 11, 2012
    This adaptation of the Belgian author's books is Steven Spielberg's first animated film. It follows an earnest young reporter on an adventure for lost treasureâ
  3. Feb 13, 2012
    "The Adventures of Tintin" is like the animated version of Indiana Jones. Although the story is somewhat cliched in a sort of matter, it's the adventurous feeling and realistic characters that shine the movie. A good entertainment to watch with your kids.
  4. Jun 21, 2012
    A great movie that hopefully spawns a few sequels. It's got your action, humor, and mystery all included, and will appeal to people of all ages so it's a great movie to watch for a family movie night.
  5. Jul 14, 2015
    In what might be Spielberg's strongest film since "Saving Private Ryan," "The Adventures Of Tintin" combines the globe-trotting thrills of an "Indiana Jones" flick, the childhood wonderment and discovery of "E.T.," and the excellent set piece design of "Minority Report" to create an unbelievable adventure film with fun for the whole family.
  6. Mar 25, 2012
    The Adventures of Tintin is an A when it comes to visuals probably the best since Avatar but the story and how the movie was made was not very good to say the least. It went way to fast and the ending came to sudden halt with me saying at the end that's it.
  7. Jan 5, 2013
    I am honestly suprised that the critics didn't give this film better reviews. It's great. Good acting by the cast, It's funny, The plot is interesting, Even the sub-plot with the thief is good. It looks amazing as well, Great use of motion capture. I loved it and I will definently be seeing the sequel in theaters.
  8. Jul 17, 2013
    Tintin works as a fun adventure film with great animation. Steven Spielberg shows he has as much skill in an animated movie like this as he does with his live action work.
  9. Mar 7, 2014
    i always love steven steliberg films from the guy who brought jaws which is amazing . then he creates tin tin . i love tin tin it is a heck of adventure .
  10. Aug 20, 2012
    The Adventures of Tintin has the type of truly unbelievable animation that drops the jaw at every turn. It also has a high level of authenticity; if you grew up reading the Tintin comics (as I did) then there is a lot to get misty-eyed and nostalgic about. Unfortunately, the movie is too hyperactive and action packed for it's own good. The swooping images of death defying stunts are aThe Adventures of Tintin has the type of truly unbelievable animation that drops the jaw at every turn. It also has a high level of authenticity; if you grew up reading the Tintin comics (as I did) then there is a lot to get misty-eyed and nostalgic about. Unfortunately, the movie is too hyperactive and action packed for it's own good. The swooping images of death defying stunts are a technical marvel but also a little soulless. The same can be said for the movie overall. It just never stops long enough to gain any emotional traction. Expand
  11. Mar 2, 2012
    Tintin is extremely lifelike, but with physics like the Polar Express. It is consistently funny and full of action, even if the story is absolute random.
  12. Aug 24, 2014
    A whimsical, smart, and sporadically funny adventure film with great voice acting from the cast. The story is pure nostalgic wit, which turns into a fun ride for the whole family, especially for adults or those who love the original french comic series. It is a joyride that you could watch at least two or three times, the story is that engaging.
  13. Mar 12, 2012
    The Adventures of Tintin looks and feels like another Indiana Jones movie and it basically is just in the form of another character, and the story isn't told with much depth as most would want. Yet, dazzling animation, great action, humor, memorable and lovable characters make for an amazing movie experience. I give this movie 85%.
  14. Apr 2, 2012
    Despite using state-of-the art motion capture technology, at its core The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn is a good old-fashioned family adventure film. It's extremely good-looking, funny and entertaining throughout, and has plenty of references to Herge's original books to keep fans happy. The motion-captured cast are on top form: Jamie Bell makes a compelling Tintin, AndyDespite using state-of-the art motion capture technology, at its core The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn is a good old-fashioned family adventure film. It's extremely good-looking, funny and entertaining throughout, and has plenty of references to Herge's original books to keep fans happy. The motion-captured cast are on top form: Jamie Bell makes a compelling Tintin, Andy Serkis is perfect as the good-natured but permanently drunk Captain Haddock, Daniel Craig makes a serviceable villain as the scheming Sakharine and Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are quite simply a comic joy as the incompetent pair of detectives Tomson and Tompson. The real star of the film though, is Tintin's hyper-intelligent dog Snowy, who manages to out-perform every other actor, and appears to be the most full of life, despite being the only character to be computer animated without the use of motion capture. The film also boasts another classic John Williams score and some top-notch writing from Steven Moffat, Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish. I must admit, I do question the need for the film to be made using motion capture animation - it does seem like more trouble than it's worth. The amount of effort everyone involved has put in, the complexity involved with shooting the simplest sequence with this technology all in the name of bringing Herge's work to life on the big screen, but surely it could have been done in live-action or in traditional animation, or even in modern computer animation a-la Pixar? It does at times feel a little like an exercise in what is possible rather than what is necessary. I'm also very very tired of 3D films, and found the film much easier to watch in 2D at home. Also the story itself does loose a little energy in the final act, but luckily not enough to have a particularly negative impact on the film as a whole. Tintin looks and sounds fantastic, is very funny, is full of heart and energy and is surprisingly intelligent for an animated blockbuster. It is an exercise in spectacle, and sometimes this focus on spectacle does get in the way of story, and the mystery elements of the film are a bit predictable, but it remains a pretty decent film thanks to the passion that went into making it. I'll be intrigued to find out where Peter Jackson takes the story next... Expand
  15. Jan 9, 2012
    If Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol was the best action film of 2011, The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn is definitely the best adventure film. Much like Spielbergs previous adventure films the film is incredibly smart, well scripted, paced and delivered while also being a load of fun. It's reminiscent of Indiana Jones in all the best ways with the camaraderie betweenIf Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol was the best action film of 2011, The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn is definitely the best adventure film. Much like Spielbergs previous adventure films the film is incredibly smart, well scripted, paced and delivered while also being a load of fun. It's reminiscent of Indiana Jones in all the best ways with the camaraderie between Tintin and Captain Haddock being one of the best parts of the film.
    If anything the film is a prime example of imagination at its best with the use of CGI allowing for some truly breathtaking sequences with sand dunes turning to oceans before your very eyes and a visually stunning motorcycle chase through an African village. It's both imaginative and inventive while never compromising the character established by Herge, who continues to be an eternally optimistic, intelligent and trustworthy protagonist. Fans of the books will be glad to see such a faithful adaptation and newcomers will wonder at the new characters they are being presented. The voice acting is well done with Simon Pegg and Nick Frost making the perfect Thompson twins and Jamie Bell makes a serviceable lead. However its Andy Serkis as Captain Haddock who really shines as he has moments of despair and moments of pure joy and he balances between the two perfectly while giving his character some much needed gravitas. It's a film for all ages and will make you laugh and smile throughout. A thoroughly good movie.
  16. Jan 8, 2013
    I absolutely loved this movie. A perfect transition from the comic to the 21st century. Hopefully this'll be the first of many movies. To be honest I never expect this movie to actually work. Tintin really was a title that, while known, has all but been forgotten and was only marginally popular outside of Europe. Yet, here Jackson & Spielberg have managed to give it new life and get mostI absolutely loved this movie. A perfect transition from the comic to the 21st century. Hopefully this'll be the first of many movies. To be honest I never expect this movie to actually work. Tintin really was a title that, while known, has all but been forgotten and was only marginally popular outside of Europe. Yet, here Jackson & Spielberg have managed to give it new life and get most of the world interested again. Absolutely wonderful. Expand
  17. Jan 8, 2012
    Motion Capture technology keeps improving, and the characters in this latest film don't look as creepy as they do in other movies using it (such as Polar Express). Spielberg is channeling his "Indiana Jones" phase, with the same type of chase scenes he used in those films. Remember the scene in the second Indiana Jones film where they are kicking around a bottle on the dance floor? HeMotion Capture technology keeps improving, and the characters in this latest film don't look as creepy as they do in other movies using it (such as Polar Express). Spielberg is channeling his "Indiana Jones" phase, with the same type of chase scenes he used in those films. Remember the scene in the second Indiana Jones film where they are kicking around a bottle on the dance floor? He uses the same formula here with pieces of a clue only it goes on a little too long. The 3D animation looks great, the pace is good. I would have preferred more humor and less action but still enjoyed it. Spielberg has even hired John Williams to do the soundtrack and you will hear similarities to Indiana Jones during some of the chase scenes. Overall a good effort and the ending sets up a sequel which I will look forward to. Expand
  18. Jan 19, 2014
    Here's a fun 3-D adventure made from the likes of the one and only Steven Spielberg. This is a fun and wildly ridiculous action "Indiana Jones" spin-off. It has great animation and an interesting story arch set around it. Overall, it's fun 3-D galore. I give it an A-!
  19. Dec 31, 2014
    Well voiced, exceptionally animated and thrilling, "The Adventures of Tintin" takes me back to when I was a little boy who read the comics about Tintin, in spite of being a bit too reminiscent of one the best action movies of all time (Raiders of the Lost Ark).
  20. Jan 12, 2013
    The best special effects I've seen in an animated film.
  21. Feb 26, 2012
    Despite having people I despise working on it (Simon Pegg and Nick Frost just to name a few), this was a very enjoyable movie debut for Tintin, even though I would've preferred a French dub to honor the original source material.
  22. Jan 3, 2014
    O Visual de Tintim magnífico um dos mais belos que já vi, a história bem interessante porém em si um filme um pouco cansativo, mais não perde seu charme.
  23. Dec 31, 2011
    Tintin's greatest achievment comes from it's visionary director. Although the screenwriting and the acting was good it did not steal the show. Spielbergs direction is flawless. He packs so many little details into every scene witch impact the scene as a whole. This is scene frequently throughout the action scenes. The whole film captivates your mind throughout the whole running time thereTintin's greatest achievment comes from it's visionary director. Although the screenwriting and the acting was good it did not steal the show. Spielbergs direction is flawless. He packs so many little details into every scene witch impact the scene as a whole. This is scene frequently throughout the action scenes. The whole film captivates your mind throughout the whole running time there is not one dull moment and that alone is an achievement. Expand
  24. Dec 22, 2011
    I loved this movie! Best and most thrilling adventure of 2011! Spielberg and Peter Jackson have created an instant classic. The adventures of tintin will capture you from the opening minute and it wont ever let you out of its tough yet captivating grasp until the end credits roll. The story was engaging, and the action and animation was exciting, this movie was superb. Absolute top notchI loved this movie! Best and most thrilling adventure of 2011! Spielberg and Peter Jackson have created an instant classic. The adventures of tintin will capture you from the opening minute and it wont ever let you out of its tough yet captivating grasp until the end credits roll. The story was engaging, and the action and animation was exciting, this movie was superb. Absolute top notch work from two of the best directors in the history of film making, even though jackson was a producer for this film. This is a must see film. Theres fun for the entire family, comedy for the kids, action and graphics for the adults, and of course adventure for the whole family. I promise you will not be disappointed. 10/10! Expand
  25. Dec 28, 2011
    Superb cinematography, awesome direction and great 3D. But it's childish, hard to enjoy. I don't get any attention besides Spielberg on the poster. Spielberg presents an ultimate adventure.
  26. Dec 25, 2011
    The Most Glorious Adventurous Animated Film Ever The Adventures of Tintin is Steven Spielberg's first Animated film and he showed why he is THE BEST.The Adventures of Tintin created a whole new dimension to the CGI world . The whole movie is unbelievably amazing . Its Adventurous, None stop Action , Mysterious , Thrilling , Funny and the first Animated film which had the Neo-Noir look ,inThe Most Glorious Adventurous Animated Film Ever The Adventures of Tintin is Steven Spielberg's first Animated film and he showed why he is THE BEST.The Adventures of Tintin created a whole new dimension to the CGI world . The whole movie is unbelievably amazing . Its Adventurous, None stop Action , Mysterious , Thrilling , Funny and the first Animated film which had the Neo-Noir look ,in which Spielberg just nailed it . This movie had everything what we look for . The CGI never looked this much realistic . The way they put together the three story was really good work.The Score was amazing as well as the mixing . The Adventures of Tintin is a total entertainment that all will enjoy. Expand
  27. Dec 18, 2014
    this film is the absolutely glorious Tintin movie i've been waiting for. it translates the source material well thanks to it's expert writing and directing team with a great cast and some of the best use of motion capture and 3D that i've ever seen. it's my favourite comic movie and not just for the reasons listed above, it does what no other comic movie has quiet achieved it looks like athis film is the absolutely glorious Tintin movie i've been waiting for. it translates the source material well thanks to it's expert writing and directing team with a great cast and some of the best use of motion capture and 3D that i've ever seen. it's my favourite comic movie and not just for the reasons listed above, it does what no other comic movie has quiet achieved it looks like a living breathing comic Expand
  28. Feb 7, 2013
    Based on the books of the forties, The Adventures of Tintin is good clean fun and is a genuinely enjoyable film suitable for all the family. Spielberg's team of British writers, Edgar Wright (Hot Fuzz), Stephen Moffat (Sherlock) and Joe Cornish (Attack the Block) combine elements from three Tintin stories to produce an exciting adventure but simple mystery.

Watching the fantastic

Watching the fantastic looking animation, it's easy to forget that with the motion-capture, the actors aren't just providing voices but are responsible for all character movements. In terms of performance, Andy Serkis steals the show as the largely inebriated Captain Haddock. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost pop up as bumbling Interpol officers Thomson and Thompson for comic effect.

One thing I couldn't shake from my childhood was how serious, self-righteous and frankly annoying Tintin can be. Obviously that's a criticism of the character not of the movie, but this version didn't go anyway to changing my opinion.

Spielberg evokes pleasant memories of Indiana Jones in several chase sequences and action set pieces, none more so than the intrepid reporter and Haddock riding in a motorbike and sidecar. Not a bad thing at all.
  29. Feb 29, 2012
    I must say I was weary of this movie when I went to watch it but I got more than I bargained for! All I can say is the movie was great and it kept me on the edge of my seat.

Everything he did in live-action movies with rolling boulders and runaway convoys he does bigger and better - by a factor of ten - in every frame. At the end of two hours, my jaw ached from grinning.
  2. Reviewed by: Ben Sachs
    Dec 26, 2011
    Feels particularly mechanical. The movie isn't a complete waste: it adequately re-creates the comics' Dickensian characterization, and every frame brims with clever details. But once the action begins, Spielberg's incessant, force-fed "fun" quickly gets exhausting.
  3. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Dec 26, 2011
    In a movie year of more than two dozen animated films, this and "Rango" tower over all others. Welcome to America, Tintin. It's great getting to know you.