7.7

1. Aug 24, 2014
    A whimsical, smart, and sporadically funny adventure film with great voice acting from the cast. The story is pure nostalgic wit, which turns into a fun ride for the whole family, especially for adults or those who love the original french comic series. It is a joyride that you could watch at least two or three times, the story is that engaging.
  2. Jun 25, 2014
    Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson make a great team! This movie was outstanding for an animated movie. It had jaw dropping action and a great storyline. The casting was excellent, and the comedy was good. Can't wait for the sequel.
  3. Mar 7, 2014
    i always love steven steliberg films from the guy who brought jaws which is amazing . then he creates tin tin . i love tin tin it is a heck of adventure .
  4. Jan 30, 2014
    Just saw The Adventures of Tintin for the first time with my friend Robert. I've got to say, I did not expect to like it as much as I did. I don't know how faithful it is to the original comic, but it was a really fun and insanely creative adventure film. All the characters were memorable and likable in some way and the CG animation was stunningly detailed while keeping the cartoonish quality on the animation. All the actors are good (I actually thought that the lead actor was Elijah Wood, but it turns out that it's the guy who played Billy Elliot), but special attention should go to Andy Serkis (who you may know as Gollum) on his performance of the drunken ship captain. It shows that he's got a great comedic delivery and can hold his own as a secondary lead. Hopefully he gets more diverse work because of this rather than just voicing monsters. Steven Moffat and Edgar Wright penned the script with one other person and they give the film a very offbeat quality that I think puts this above a lot of animated adventure films. All in all, a really good experience that I wish I'd caught in theaters. Also, gotta give special props to Simon Pegg and Nick Frost who play two very amusing dry comic relief characters. I always love when those two are in a movie together and this is no exception. Go see it. Expand
  5. Jan 19, 2014
    Here's a fun 3-D adventure made from the likes of the one and only Steven Spielberg. This is a fun and wildly ridiculous action "Indiana Jones" spin-off. It has great animation and an interesting story arch set around it. Overall, it's fun 3-D galore. I give it an A-!
  6. Jan 3, 2014
    O Visual de Tintim magnífico um dos mais belos que já vi, a história bem interessante porém em si um filme um pouco cansativo, mais não perde seu charme.
  7. Oct 7, 2013
    This film is just amazing, the story, the characters, just like the original herge books. The voice acting was amazing, and everything just looked breath-taking, it looked just like a cod cgi cut scene. definitely worth your time
  8. Sep 29, 2013
    Awesome and completely simple. If you hate it, try tintin and haddickf not the game was not meant for you, your bad just do not blame the game please, give it a ten
    . I
  9. Sep 20, 2013
    A zealous Spielberg film bursting at the seams with energy and spirit. Even though it is animated, this is not a bad thing; it gives Spielberg a bigger canvas to work on, and what he can't do in his live action movies he can do in Tin-Tin.
  10. Sep 3, 2013
    the best way to bring Tintin to the big screen. its awesome. Recommended for tintin lovers n those who don't know who tintin is too. It have little flaws may be. not exactly the comic. but works fine. worth watching.
  11. Aug 29, 2013
    It's okay. The animation is brilliant. I originally thought it was acted in the real world. However, the plot was not so good. I struggled to figure at times. It's an okay film, probably worth picking up in a sale.
  12. Jul 17, 2013
    Tintin works as a fun adventure film with great animation. Steven Spielberg shows he has as much skill in an animated movie like this as he does with his live action work.
  13. May 19, 2013
    The Adventures of Tintin is fantastic because it is by far a copy of Indiana Jones, the design is witty and his aesthetic is fascinating, and a brand revolção for future cartoon, at first he may seem old-fashioned face, but if unfold makes it a pleasant experience to see, and proves that the pair ceria Steven S. and Peter G. can bear much fruit in the future.
  14. Mar 10, 2013
    Hergé's stories were fantastic: intelligent, funny, interesting/lovable characters, and enjoyable, engaging plots that you couldn't put down! Animations of Tintin were made, 30 minute long stories I think, that followed Hergé's works exactly, and these were fantastic! I think Tintin is simply not meant to be made into full-length feature films of 2 hours. Mixing the characters and plots of Hergé's Tintin stories AND adding in new "Hollywoodized" content (the crane fight and the bazooka, etc...), was an awful decision.

It was fantastic watching the first 15 minutes of the Secret of the Unicorn, haha, and then we suddenly switch to the Crab with the Golden Claws, but mix the characters and plots from the two. What a mess. The visuals are fun to watch, the computer rendering that is, but the story and what they have done with Hergé's work is a mess!

I wonder how the Asterix "real people" films worked out. The Asterix stories are similar in length to Tintin I think. I wonder what the French did with Asterix?!
  15. Mar 2, 2013
    Not spectacularly amazing, just Tintin. I read all the books as a child (our local library had the lot) and have to admit, a good job was done bringing them to life, I suppose the highest praise that can be given to the film is it isn't insulting to anyone who remembers the source material. Well done, Spielberg. You didn't f*ck it up.
  16. Feb 11, 2013
    This film shows you that Spielberg still has a boy left somewhere inside him. And it is definitely something Herge would have enjoyed.It is actually quite brilliant
  17. Feb 7, 2013
    Based on the books of the forties, The Adventures of Tintin is good clean fun and is a genuinely enjoyable film suitable for all the family. Spielberg's team of British writers, Edgar Wright (Hot Fuzz), Stephen Moffat (Sherlock) and Joe Cornish (Attack the Block) combine elements from three Tintin stories to produce an exciting adventure but simple mystery.

Watching the fantastic
    looking animation, it's easy to forget that with the motion-capture, the actors aren't just providing voices but are responsible for all character movements. In terms of performance, Andy Serkis steals the show as the largely inebriated Captain Haddock. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost pop up as bumbling Interpol officers Thomson and Thompson for comic effect.

One thing I couldn't shake from my childhood was how serious, self-righteous and frankly annoying Tintin can be. Obviously that's a criticism of the character not of the movie, but this version didn't go anyway to changing my opinion.

Spielberg evokes pleasant memories of Indiana Jones in several chase sequences and action set pieces, none more so than the intrepid reporter and Haddock riding in a motorbike and sidecar. Not a bad thing at all.
  18. Jan 12, 2013
    The best special effects I've seen in an animated film.
  19. Jan 8, 2013
    I absolutely loved this movie. A perfect transition from the comic to the 21st century. Hopefully this'll be the first of many movies. To be honest I never expect this movie to actually work. Tintin really was a title that, while known, has all but been forgotten and was only marginally popular outside of Europe. Yet, here Jackson & Spielberg have managed to give it new life and get most of the world interested again. Absolutely wonderful. Expand
  20. Jan 5, 2013
    I am honestly suprised that the critics didn't give this film better reviews. It's great. Good acting by the cast, It's funny, The plot is interesting, Even the sub-plot with the thief is good. It looks amazing as well, Great use of motion capture. I loved it and I will definently be seeing the sequel in theaters.
  21. Aug 20, 2012
    The Adventures of Tintin has the type of truly unbelievable animation that drops the jaw at every turn. It also has a high level of authenticity; if you grew up reading the Tintin comics (as I did) then there is a lot to get misty-eyed and nostalgic about. Unfortunately, the movie is too hyperactive and action packed for it's own good. The swooping images of death defying stunts are a technical marvel but also a little soulless. The same can be said for the movie overall. It just never stops long enough to gain any emotional traction. Expand
  22. Jun 21, 2012
    A great movie that hopefully spawns a few sequels. It's got your action, humor, and mystery all included, and will appeal to people of all ages so it's a great movie to watch for a family movie night.
  23. Jun 4, 2012
    This movie is pretty great for an animated film. To start with, the visuals are amazing, probably one of the most visually engaging animated films of all time. And on top of that, the story is actually good, too. There is actually a bit of mystery. The only negative was that it was too long, and I thought I wouldn't miss anything if I took a short nap. There are good adventure scenes, but some parts get a little boring. Is it animated "Indiana Jones"? I would say it's pretty close. Expand
  24. Jun 3, 2012
    We were all waiting for this collaboration to happen..the great Spielberg with the similarly great Jackson. This animation got a boy's heart to the screen. This movie is a constant play of opposites and that's just perfectly sets the mood. Weta out did itself this time, this movie is beautiful to look at. A perfect example of what animation can do is the sea battle scene its breath taking to say the least. Its also very faithful to the source material that it also presents the feel that the comics presented. Jamie bell is a good tintin but is a bit over the top but we'll let it pass. But adventure is always round the corner and there isn't a space to take a breath. Although tintin is a bit abstract his costars are lovable even tough sometimes over the top. But without a doubt serkis is the man of honor haddock is the star and platform of the whole movie, he provides laughter and humanity beyond any other. Besides from haddock the slapstick does become a bit too much and a bit off. Another small flaw is its fast pace, the plot does get dragged along sometimes. Expand
  25. Jun 1, 2012
    I was expecting a bit of a turkey tbh before I sat to watch this, sure I read all the books as a kid but figured it too hard to make a decent movie from due to its old fashioned views of the world. I was extremely proven wrong... this is a top notch CGI action movie at it shining best. Forget turkies like Indy Jones... TinTin and Cpt Haddock would kick his ass.
  26. May 25, 2012
    One of the few animated movies of 2011 that got it right with its great direction, solid script and gorgeous animation, and the answer to the No-Pixar-film-for-Oscar-nods dilemna.
  27. Apr 25, 2012
    Being the FIRST-EVER animated film for both Steven Spielberg and John Williams you would think this film (although pretty good) would have been classic perfection due to the immense build-up over time it's taken these two men to make a picture of this scope and scale. I was expecting the 3D motion capture computer-animation to be much more lifelike, much like how Avatar when it was released. Instead this movie felt too 'cartoony' for my taste buds despite the fact that the content is marketed to the late teen/early adult demographic. Expand
  28. Apr 19, 2012
    You should know that there is expected to be two more Tintin films, and that is a good thing. I had the pleasure of reading the many Tintin comic books when I was younger, something that I recommend doing before you see this film. After hearing there was a movie planned, I was thrilled, to say the least. Like a geek, I researched everything and anything that had to do with the film, becoming more excited with every new discovery. Then, I finally got to see the film. Was the film going to be awful? Amazing? Mediocre? I'll put it simply: I loved it. But to say I loved this film, is not enough. I simply must gush on about this film, that was everything I could have wanted it to be, with few complaints. You might know that this film is based off of the following three Tintin books; "The Crab With The Golden Claws," "The Secret Of The Unicorn," and "Red Rackham's Treasure." However, a much more accurate term would be "inspired" from these books, rather than based off of. The film only borrows scenes, locations, and characters rather than the stories and plots of each. This isn't really a bad thing though, because it's nice to get to experience a new, if familiar, adventure. When the film opens, the audience is treated to a 3 minute title sequence, portraying scenes from Tintin books, as well as showing off a fine musical theme by John Williams, whose musical talent is consistent throughout the film. In fact, it's one of my favorite film scores. Once the actual film starts, we see Tintin in a flea market-like surrounding. This scene not only sets up the film, but does a fine job of displaying some of the greatest animation I've ever seen. It looks absolutely gorgeous, and quite life-like. The style choice is ingenious; putting cartoonish characters in a life-like setting. It's not unlike what other animation studios have done, but it's much more exaggerated in this film, and much more detailed. The characters are portrayed faithfully. All the characters look like they do in the book, and the voice actors have been selected excellently. Tintin is exactly as I imagined him to be, the Thompson twins are hilarious, and all the other characters have been given a fine treatment as well. Even Bianca Castifore has a short scene. I do have a few complaints regarding the character of Captain Haddock, however. In the book, he is portrayed as cranky, and usually drunk. In the film, he's portrayed as sad, stupid, occasionaly cheerful, and usually drunk. This portrayal is not a bad one, it's just not very faithful to the books. Also, Professor Calculus is omitted from the film, but he doesn't really belong in this film anyway. However, based on what I've heard the sequel is going to be about, Calculus will probably be added to the cast. Also, for those who are curious, Snowy does not "think" as he does in the books, he's no different than any normal dog. Me and the friends that I saw the film with, have all read the books, and it was very rewarding when watching the film. There are literally DOZENS of references, cameos, and easter eggs from the Tintin books. From characters walking in the background, to props, to posters, to names, to buildings, it doesn't end! There is actually a reference to almost EVERY book in the series. There are some excellent chase scenes, some exciting fight scenes, and some thrilling escape scenes. I can't remember I had so much fun at the theater. The film was also, quite hilarious, though there was some juvenile humor that I didn't appreciate. Out of a lot of praise, I do have some complaints. I have already expressed my feelings toward the change of Captian Haddock, but I do have some other things to point out as well. For one, the movie didn't have much of a plot. It felt more like the characters were trying to get from point A to point B, without much thought about what to do when they get there. Also, the film felt somewhat non-conclusive, but I feel that this was done intentionally for the sequels. There was some cheesy dialogue (the last two lines spoken by Tintin and Haddock are ridiculously hammy), and Tintin just cannot say "Great Snakes!" without sounding forced. I do love this film, I didn't want it to end. I am looking forward to the sequels, more so than any other film, and I have great anticipations for what Peter Jackson and Steven Spielberg plan to do with the next Tintin. Expand
  29. Apr 16, 2012
    This is the best animated movie I have seen in years. Some of the sequences are very intense for a "kids movie". I'm now 26 and I can honestly say I enjoyed this movie from beginning to end. The 3D is phenomenal as well.
  30. Apr 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The move is really good but there is some parts that Idont get,like they get like why did they have to get the three map thingies just for a tiney hat filled with gold that was as big as a tiny jar. Expand
  31. Apr 2, 2012
    Despite using state-of-the art motion capture technology, at its core The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn is a good old-fashioned family adventure film. It's extremely good-looking, funny and entertaining throughout, and has plenty of references to Herge's original books to keep fans happy. The motion-captured cast are on top form: Jamie Bell makes a compelling Tintin, Andy Serkis is perfect as the good-natured but permanently drunk Captain Haddock, Daniel Craig makes a serviceable villain as the scheming Sakharine and Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are quite simply a comic joy as the incompetent pair of detectives Tomson and Tompson. The real star of the film though, is Tintin's hyper-intelligent dog Snowy, who manages to out-perform every other actor, and appears to be the most full of life, despite being the only character to be computer animated without the use of motion capture. The film also boasts another classic John Williams score and some top-notch writing from Steven Moffat, Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish. I must admit, I do question the need for the film to be made using motion capture animation - it does seem like more trouble than it's worth. The amount of effort everyone involved has put in, the complexity involved with shooting the simplest sequence with this technology all in the name of bringing Herge's work to life on the big screen, but surely it could have been done in live-action or in traditional animation, or even in modern computer animation a-la Pixar? It does at times feel a little like an exercise in what is possible rather than what is necessary. I'm also very very tired of 3D films, and found the film much easier to watch in 2D at home. Also the story itself does loose a little energy in the final act, but luckily not enough to have a particularly negative impact on the film as a whole. Tintin looks and sounds fantastic, is very funny, is full of heart and energy and is surprisingly intelligent for an animated blockbuster. It is an exercise in spectacle, and sometimes this focus on spectacle does get in the way of story, and the mystery elements of the film are a bit predictable, but it remains a pretty decent film thanks to the passion that went into making it. I'll be intrigued to find out where Peter Jackson takes the story next... Expand
  32. Mar 31, 2012
    First off, this is a 9.5 out of 10. Visuals are just out standings. Some and most pushes boundaries between real and animation. Action sequences are great story. Story and score are well done, and the acting is great. Overall this is a great movie recommend for everyone.
  33. Mar 31, 2012
    Don't let the all star production and director fool you... it was a struggle staying awake towards the end. I read the comics growing up and was really excited to watch it. maybe its not for me #notthatexciting
  34. Mar 29, 2012
    Muy entretenida de principio a fin. Las Aventuras de Tintin es una pelicula llena de aventura, con una direccion magistral de Steven Spielberg y un interesante plot. Es visualmente atractiva y claramente algo que no se ve todos los dias. La recomiendo...
  35. Mar 25, 2012
    This here movie is what Indiana Jones 4 should have been. (No hating on that movie, it was "good enough") It was mindblowing to watch this here movie, the amount of awesome camera angles, funny writing and awesome motion in this movie is just wonderful, it made my day... no take that back, it made my week! My friends are going to hate me, because the only subject my mouth will talk about is how awesome and fine adjusted this here movie is, the countless of funny spoofs so professionally performed by the one and only Spielberg... What do you honestly expect from a movie like this? Get ready to get your mind blown by this here superb movie i give a round number 9. It is a great story made into an awesome movie, maybe the only problem with it is Tintin acting a bit too cliche and dramatic at some points (I could count 2.) But that's my only concern.. and it's THAT minor... like almost nothing, GREAT MOVIE i love it! Expand
  36. Mar 25, 2012
    The Adventures of Tintin is an A when it comes to visuals probably the best since Avatar but the story and how the movie was made was not very good to say the least. It went way to fast and the ending came to sudden halt with me saying at the end that's it.
  37. Mar 20, 2012
    Brilliant. One of the best films of 2011. There is little too complain about after viewing this classic piece of work. Althought this is computer generated animation it is breathtaking. The reason it succeeds is the screenplay adaption. The action is never ending and the characters are finely etched and the technical aspects are beyond expectation. There were not many live action films that succeeded like this film does. Expand
  38. Mar 18, 2012
    This is a great movie it's an exact remake of the book, which I loved anyone and everyone will love this. Way better than Hugo and stays true to the books. Give it a go people.
  39. Mar 14, 2012
    Animation and modelling were amazing in this film. The production was great and the actors did a good job. HOWEVER. I found myself often looking at my watch wondering when this was going to finish. There were so many pointless things that they kept in the film which made it drag. 6/10
  40. Mar 12, 2012
    The Adventures of Tintin looks and feels like another Indiana Jones movie and it basically is just in the form of another character, and the story isn't told with much depth as most would want. Yet, dazzling animation, great action, humor, memorable and lovable characters make for an amazing movie experience. I give this movie 85%.
  41. Mar 11, 2012
    This was an okay Remake of Tintin..but really it gets boring the very start of the film.. everything else was very good Kudos to Spielberg"s Creative Mind!
  42. Mar 10, 2012
    Great movie! The story was hilarious at times but also easy to follow, and the graphics in this film are absolutely amazing. At some points I completely forgot I was watching an animation.
  43. Mar 7, 2012
    This film was a delight for me to see. It was made for more of the children's audience but Steven Spielburg knows how to please an audience. Think of James Bond mixed with Indiana Jones in a cartoon. This Action-Adventure incorporates what is needed to make a good film, the action sequences, the humor, and of course the adventure at hand. The only thing really wrong in this movie is that like I said it is more for children and younger people and some of the slapstick humor got to be a little too much. This is a movie to rent. Expand
  44. Mar 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The first half hour of this movie is pretty boring. On his own, Tintin is a bland and irritating character. However the movie picks up when the drunken Captain Haddock is introduced. He's much more entertaining and three dimensional than Tintin is. The movie's set pieces are pretty fantastic; there are plenty of long takes filled with a lot of destruction that takes place over huge distances that would be impossible to film in real life. The fight scenes actually look real because we're able to see the characters' attacks contact each other, instead of cutting away before impact or shooting close to hide the distance between the impact of the blow and the target. In real life the actors wouldnâ Expand
  45. Mar 2, 2012
    Tintin is extremely lifelike, but with physics like the Polar Express. It is consistently funny and full of action, even if the story is absolute random.
  46. Feb 29, 2012
    I must say I was weary of this movie when I went to watch it but I got more than I bargained for! All I can say is the movie was great and it kept me on the edge of my seat.
  47. Feb 26, 2012
    Despite having people I despise working on it (Simon Pegg and Nick Frost just to name a few), this was a very enjoyable movie debut for Tintin, even though I would've preferred a French dub to honor the original source material.
  48. Feb 25, 2012
    The film has a story that is based on the comic by Hergé, a Belgian author, and which was directed by Spielberg. The film uses a motion-capture technology, of movement and expression of real actors and that is applied in a highly detailed CG and 3D movie, with astonishing results.

The story is much like the classic stories, and presents the familiar characters of the comic -
    is a movie that entertains but serves more as a showcase for the recent advances advances in CG and motion-capture. It's a good and fun movie to watch with the family: My score: 7.8 / 10.0. Expand
  49. Feb 25, 2012
    Hmm amazing movie and picture from this movie..
    Altough more extended story and not folowing the comic story Im unpatiently wait the next sequel,,
    Im curius with the map in thend of sory
  50. Feb 18, 2012
    This has to be one of the best animated films. The animation is incredible. Outside of this, it is a great adventure romp, with plenty of humour. However, it is important to make parents aware that this is Tin Tin. So there is heaps of shooting and violence and use of alcohol. It is great though. I took my 11 and 9 year old and I think they were the right age to see it. Any younger and it would probably not be appropriate. This is a great, enjoyable, classic animation. Well done to all involved in bringing this movie in to existence. Expand
  51. Feb 13, 2012
    "The Adventures of Tintin" is like the animated version of Indiana Jones. Although the story is somewhat cliched in a sort of matter, it's the adventurous feeling and realistic characters that shine the movie. A good entertainment to watch with your kids.
  52. Feb 12, 2012
    the adventures of tintin is an amazing film true to the book with awesome action, great storyline and tintin goodness, it really is an incredible film!
  53. Feb 11, 2012
    This film is Spielberg's first animated film, and it's a great and epic thrill ride. Andy Serkis is great in the film, but really, he's great in any film as long as his real face isn't shown (he's not ugly, though). The pirate ship scenes are the best, which have you holding on to your seat for a long time. My beef is that it could have had a better script, though it's supposedly faithful to the original comic book. It's great, but it feels like a Spielberg movie not directed by Spielberg himself. But every three years, he releases two films, one that's good, and one that's bad or not as good. So you know what I'm reviewing next... Expand
  54. Feb 7, 2012
    Awesome animation, a well executed screenplay, and a good use of graphics have all been plus points for this movie. Especially the animation has glued my eyes to the film. As my sister said, the movie supposedly captures all the essence of the comic book by Herge. But is still felt that it wasn't so much for the mature audience, and there was something lacking in it.
    Good movie.
  55. Jan 27, 2012
    It really is a revolutionary animation and attractive to all kinds of age. The use of weapons and the action of a special touch. Although its meaning is not just an animation that try to show those moral lessons at the end.
  56. Jan 24, 2012
    Very few movies in recent years have launched a journey more vast and monumental than the one in â
  57. Jan 23, 2012
    I did have doubts and fears about this film but thankfully, those fears were put to rest, Though it wasn't exactly a 100% faithful adaptation it still delivered enough excitement and joy to keep you at the edge of your seat for an hour and a half.
  58. Jan 21, 2012
    What a great movie. Not even best animated movie of year, but also one of the best films of year. Great sceens, adventure. We haven not seen anything like that.
  59. Jan 19, 2012
    I didn't like it at all; too much violence; not a simple story; no poetry; no swearing from Captain Haddock; some names have been changed (to adapt to the US market?)
  60. Jan 14, 2012
    Despite the fact that this film contains several scenes that are more than obviously made to be adapted into a video game, it works very well. I respect that it's an adaptation of actual stories from the graphic novel series and not some needlessly original story designed to cater to modern audiences. Also refreshing is that it's a family film and Spielberg has enough class to not include dumb fart jokes as seems to be the norm these days. Expand
  61. Jan 12, 2012
    This was one of those movies where I leave the theater slightly disappointed, but couldnt quite put my finger on why. Tintin was reminiscent of the Indiana Jones films in terms of spirit and fun. It was by far the prettiest animated movie I've ever seen. It had some fantastic action sequences - namely the motorcycle chase scene towards the films end. It had comedy - Captain Haddock is a marvelous drunken mess of a character and provided many laughs throughout the adventure. Despite these pro's, I felt unsatisfied. Why? Foremost, the movies' plot felt convoluted and boring. Also, Tintin, as a character, seemed very one-dimensional; he seemed, as the Brits would say, a bit of a 'wanker.' It just goes to show that a good story and interesting characters will always be more important than the most incredible visual extravaganza. Expand
  62. Jan 11, 2012
    Tintin is a gem when it comes to its visual aesthetics. Its use of motion-capture reminded me a bit of lord of the rings. The film is similar to Indiana Jones and it's definitely adventurous.
  63. Jan 11, 2012
    This adaptation of the Belgian author's books is Steven Spielberg's first animated film. It follows an earnest young reporter on an adventure for lost treasureâ
  64. Jan 11, 2012
    One of the most expected stories I was so looking forward to see it. My curiosity drag me to the cinema in England, near this Christmas with a few members of my family. The theater was absolutely full kids with their parents and I was ready to jump into the world of Tin-tin, the great inspector of my childhood. About the movie, I can say that it has a brilliant graphics, amazing sound and image quality. Should I add something about the director and producers? No, because it`s Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson. There isn`t nothing to add about these outstanding directors. iI also would like to say about the the fantastic way that they crossed from a action to another and I am glad that they respected the entire story and making it better then the one I saw when I was a kid. But, aren`t we sometimes kids? :) Expand
  65. Jan 9, 2012
    In many ways well done, it just seemed kind of hollow to me. It was fairly engaging, with lots of action scenes and some humor, so if that's what you want, this might be just fine for you. Personally, I like a movie that gives me something to take back into my life with me. Tin Tin left me with very little.

Comparing this to another movie in its class, Toy Story is far and away better.
    You CAN make animated characters (more) believable and have a plot that works better, and actually leaves people at the end feeling like they are just a little bit better than when they walked in. Expand
  66. Jan 9, 2012
    If Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol was the best action film of 2011, The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn is definitely the best adventure film. Much like Spielbergs previous adventure films the film is incredibly smart, well scripted, paced and delivered while also being a load of fun. It's reminiscent of Indiana Jones in all the best ways with the camaraderie between Tintin and Captain Haddock being one of the best parts of the film.
    If anything the film is a prime example of imagination at its best with the use of CGI allowing for some truly breathtaking sequences with sand dunes turning to oceans before your very eyes and a visually stunning motorcycle chase through an African village. It's both imaginative and inventive while never compromising the character established by Herge, who continues to be an eternally optimistic, intelligent and trustworthy protagonist. Fans of the books will be glad to see such a faithful adaptation and newcomers will wonder at the new characters they are being presented. The voice acting is well done with Simon Pegg and Nick Frost making the perfect Thompson twins and Jamie Bell makes a serviceable lead. However its Andy Serkis as Captain Haddock who really shines as he has moments of despair and moments of pure joy and he balances between the two perfectly while giving his character some much needed gravitas. It's a film for all ages and will make you laugh and smile throughout. A thoroughly good movie.
  67. Jan 8, 2012
    Best TECHNICALLY LOOKING animated film ever made (but what does that mean with technology always evolving) The film kind of goes on super auto-pilot in the 3rd act but this is a very entertaining film. I love the lighting in this film (it is design as if a 35mm camera shot the film) and the way the camera travels in the action scenes would have been impossible in live action, i also like the transition edits. OH! POINTLESS IN 3D, lacks character development( not a huge flaw in a "tintin" adaptation) and the 3rd of the film is on the flawed side but, with all that said it really is a masterpiece in animation and a really good action film. For the record I generally enjoy motion capture animation (besides mars needs mom) Expand
  68. Jan 8, 2012
    Motion Capture technology keeps improving, and the characters in this latest film don't look as creepy as they do in other movies using it (such as Polar Express). Spielberg is channeling his "Indiana Jones" phase, with the same type of chase scenes he used in those films. Remember the scene in the second Indiana Jones film where they are kicking around a bottle on the dance floor? He uses the same formula here with pieces of a clue only it goes on a little too long. The 3D animation looks great, the pace is good. I would have preferred more humor and less action but still enjoyed it. Spielberg has even hired John Williams to do the soundtrack and you will hear similarities to Indiana Jones during some of the chase scenes. Overall a good effort and the ending sets up a sequel which I will look forward to. Expand
  69. Jan 7, 2012
    This is a movie for everyone of age! the scenes, motion capturing and storyline was nicely done and thoroughly enjoyable making me begging for the next one to come out!
  70. Jan 7, 2012
    Movie-making magic. Complex swooping camera work. Incredible animation. Glorious adventure. Splendid use of 3D technology. Just see it. You'll have a great afternoon or evening filled with entertainment value.
  71. Jan 7, 2012
    Steven Spielburg (Jaws, Jurassic Park, E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial, Men in Black, Men in Black 2, Schindler's List, The Terminal, The Color Purple), Kathleen Kennedy (Ponyo, The Indian in the Cupboard, The Bourne), Peter Jackson (The Lord of the Rings, The Lovely Bones) and Nickelodeon team up to create a 3D graphic film based on Herge's Tintin comics and TV series. And it works. The Adventures of Tintin is fun that will be enjoyed by Tintin fans, young and old, new fans and all time fans. Expand
  72. Jan 6, 2012
    The story has great depth and pace. Greatest chase scene of all time. Movie feels very authentically 'Tintin'. Somewhat predictable but definitely still a good film.
  73. Jan 6, 2012
    The Adventures of Tintin was pretty epic movie that Steven Spielberg makes his own 3D animation. The story is a basic hero must find the secret of the unicorn based on the Belgium comics by Herge. Then, we meet our favorite characters like Tintin, Captain Haddock, Thomson & Thompson, the white furry dog named Snowy, and the evil villain named Ivan Ivanovitch Sahharine. The settings are very good and 3D visuals are nice to see in the background and the design of the characters are bit distracted (just like the people were Zemeckis was created) because it's scary to see the people in CGI. But for it's credit, they did pretty good on the characters that they don't look like bad designs on their faces and they put the right amount of good character faces just like in the cartoon. The story is great, but I like the Thomson & Thompson funny lines in this movie, there's an epic scene were they chase the bad guys in Egypt and I have to say it's pretty awesome! So bottom line, it's a good movie. Expand
  74. Jan 5, 2012
    The Adventures of Tintin is an exhilarating movie, awesome, I say, awesome. Snowy, the little dog is so cutely and funnily animated that you can't help but love him, the attention to detail in this movie is staggering. I say that Tintin is a must-see for anyone, even people who haven't read the comic strip.
  75. Jan 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Adventures Of Tintin is an absolute joy to watch. For the first time since 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' has Steven Spielberg managed to make an action adventure film on an equally enjoyable level. So trade the fedora hat for a spiky patch of red hair, the snakes for a faithful dog companion, the boulders for tanks and you have The Adventures Of Tintin. The film follows a winding narrative that puts the young Belgian detective on a worldwide hunt for the lost treasure of the unicorn ship. With the Unicorn, Spielberg has found the perfect MacGuffin which is guaranteed to maintain the audiences interest throughout. Jamie Bell possesses an innocence and an ingenuity that makes Tintin a well rounded, likeable character but the REAL treat is about a 1/3rd into the film when Andy Serkis appears as Tintin's 'side-kick'(?), Captain Haddock. The different sides to his character provide great moments of levity; the perfect antidote to the mostly straight faced but kind hearted, Tintin. Other notable actors lend their voices to the film; Daniel Craig sinks his teeth into the role of the antagonist (Playing against type has never been so much fun!), and the double team of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are well cast but possibly under used as the hapless Thompson twins.

Spielberg will impress his audience with the inventive plot and a fantastic cast delivering great performances but does the technology suit the structure of a Tintin story? The answer is a definite YES! Motion capture has moved on since films like 'The Polar Express' and at times during this movie, you will find yourself forgetting you're watching a cartoon. The element of 3D that is offered as opposed to the two-dimensional format (well worth the extra money) compliments the motion capture and has some of the most impressive use of this new format you will ever see. Notice how you can see dust floating in the air and can almost feel the blast of explosions. Their are several action scenes that make best use of the 3D involving an edge of your seat, riveting, rollercoaster ride of a chase between all major characters towards the end of the film (But I don't want to give too much away).

The direction of the film is superb with Spielberg masterfully crafting an engrossing 2 hour old school action adventure movie, with heart, for audiences of every age by including enough stunning use of 3D/motion capture, sticking a few self-referential jokes here and there and most important of all, making it a fun, enjoyable film that will bring a smile to anybody watching. It is not an overlong film and ends just as it may begin to outstay it's welcome by leaving the door open for an inevitable sequel. Peter Jackson... Take the director's chair and try to beat this. Spielberg is back!
  76. Jan 3, 2012
    Just a fantastic film. It had me on the edge of my seat with the plot and I loved the action scene and art style. The camera angles were really neat, and a great adaptation from the comic Secret of the Unicorn. Watch this film, you won't be disappointed.
  77. Jan 3, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn is an upcoming 2011 American performance capture 3D film based on The Adventures of Tintin, a series of comic books created by Belgian artist Georges "Hergé" Remi. It is directed by Steven Spielberg, produced by Peter Jackson, and written by Steven Moffat, Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish. The script is based on three of the stories: The Crab with the Golden Claws, The Secret of the Unicorn and Red Rackham's Treasure.
    Watch in HD
    hydronite.com
  78. Jan 2, 2012
    Tintin had some fun scenes and is worth a watch but unfortunately does not thrill or surprise as an adventure movie should ( I wanted a bit more from it). The movie stays fairly predictable throughout, I never felt as if Tintin or Snowy were in any real danger, and although the action scenes looked great, they never truly were thrilling and I never doubted the hero wouldn't survive or get the treasure in the end which does water down a stories impact. Tintin was fun though, does have some more potential and I'm interested to know what happens next. Expand
  79. Jan 1, 2012
    Loads of fun. Probably the best CGI and use of motion capture I have ever seen. I went with my five year old daughter and it was a little long and complex for her. Probably best for seven and up, but she still liked it too. Note, it was a little violent for young kids. In one scene, somebody was shot with a machine gun through a door. Overall, well made and enjoyable.
  80. Jan 1, 2012
    I went in with low expectations and I'm happy to report that this is clearly the best animated feature of the year as well as one of the best action/adventure movies since the original Raiders of the Lost Ark, which it reminded me of repeatedly. Absolutely AMAZING film-making featuring another great motion capture performance by Andy Serkis, fantastic cinematography and artwork, Oscar-worthy editing (the transitions will blow your mind), and more hair-pin curves and cliff hangers then Raiders and all of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies put together. Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson teamed together to bring this one to the big screen and the collaboration is first rate. Well worth the extra cash for the 3D glasses and seeing it on IMAX. Here's hoping that a new series has been born! Grade = A. Expand
  81. Jan 1, 2012
    I have mix feelings when it comes to motion captured animated features, but the Adventures of Tinitin on the other hand captured an incredible style and atmosphere for the characters of Tintin come to life. The visuals definitely raises a higher score for exquisite character designs and creative transitions in the editing. However I did find the long cuts to get tiring once in a while. It felt like I was playing a video game rather than watching a movie. The story in Tintin is something you would expect in the TiniTin comics or animated series. The film is one misadventure journey and you know right away what is going to happen next. The plot is predictable, but some of the choice in actions and comedy were unique and were subtle to fit well within the Tintin universe. Despite the flow of the movie being clunky at times, The Adventures of Tintin is still a enjoyable family flick. Expand
  82. Dec 31, 2011
    The visual effects are terrific, and the action scenes almost rival those in the new Mission: Impossible movie. However, the main character of Tintin is dull as well as annoying, and I didn't care about what happened in the story or its characters. The story often uneasily and abruptly shifts from seriousness to goofy slapstick. It's fun at times, but despite its fast pace, "Tintin" never really goes anywhere. Expand
  83. Dec 31, 2011
    Tintin's greatest achievment comes from it's visionary director. Although the screenwriting and the acting was good it did not steal the show. Spielbergs direction is flawless. He packs so many little details into every scene witch impact the scene as a whole. This is scene frequently throughout the action scenes. The whole film captivates your mind throughout the whole running time there is not one dull moment and that alone is an achievement. Expand
  84. Dec 30, 2011
    State of the Art in both Technical Wizardry and Production Scale - TinTin never reaches the emotional connection that early Spielberg movies did so well. Spielberg's attempt at Motion Capture technology looks fantastic, with great art direction and lighting with scenes that almost look perfect. The script is designed to inspire children to wanting to learn, explore and become smart kids. It's a literate, clever and high brow family film that really could have reached more greater heights. The trouble is in the three central characters - TinTin, Snowy the Dog(who was my favorite) and the weakest of the bunch - A Drunk Sea Captain who struggles under the lineage of a damned Sir Francis Drake. I didn't connect with the human characters in the film. Neither the narrative or the characters match the scenery and fun that a movie like this should have. This could have been much better. Expand
  85. Dec 30, 2011
    If your looking for sentimentalism or deep character development this isn't quite the movie your looking for, Tintin, however, is an exhilarating thrill ride from start to finish.In this picture, Spielberg seeks mainly to entertain, not necessarily teach or challenge his viewers. This "Indiana Jones-esque" film is fast paced and filled with very witty dialogue, charming characters and a clear yet compelling story. It is visually stunning; much effort was evidently placed on the animation and detailed sound design; the editing and 'cinematography' also gave it a very cinematic look (kudos to that single shot chase scene) and John Williams gives another exceptional score. Despite these positives, the movie is quite exhausting: there was non-stop action-adventure with very little time for air. Yes, that's right, Tintin could have done very well with more development, to fully flesh out the characters and add more weight and depth to the solid story. The narration needed more patience, but, the movie was way too much fun to let this get in the way too much. Expand
  86. Dec 29, 2011
    If anyone but Spielberg had made this movie, the knives would have come out. Disappointing that the "professional" critics didn't have the balls to tell it like it is. Pros: kudos for picking this subject; I love TinTin and he stuck to the original feel and look of the cartoon; his storybook phrasing of each scene was very true to the original. Cons: it was just not as good as other 3D movies (went home that same night and watched Alice in Wonderland; far more interesting 3D movie.) The obligatory roller coaster ride scene was painful; wow, this is the best SS has to offer? Saw this at Omni-max 10 years ago. The emperor has no clothes, but everyone is afraid to say so. Expand
  87. Dec 28, 2011
    The adventure itself is epic, but it's disrupted by tangents of unneeded comic relief. The result is a bit of a paradox - younger kids will be attracted by the goofiness, only to be sent howling out of the theater by scenes like the brutal machine gun murder in the beginning of the film. I also felt that Snowey the dog was too anthropomorphized.
  88. Dec 28, 2011
    The movie starts great and draws you in with its beautiful animation. Things go great for probably the first half hour, then a joke falls flat. I realize that the movie is fallible. Here is a super hard to make, beautiful looking movie with a screenplay that wasn't 100%. "that's okay, things will pick up once Tintin hits the road" i thought. But not really. the jokes continued to be hit or miss (not funny enough for adults, and possibly out of grasp for children due to all the alcohol references). And that ambiguous demographic tone sums up the whole movie for me in the end. Too much for kids, and too shallow for adults. Not to mention the second half of the movie really drags. Overall, the movie isn't a complete waste of time and i would probably see the sequel if it got favorable word of mouth. I must say that Tintin is one of the most beautiful looking animated films i've ever seen. That's why it pains me that it wasn't put to better use. Major props to the artists behind the animation though. The film is absolutely stunning to look at. Expand
  89. Dec 28, 2011
    The Adventures of Tintin is Raiders of the Lost Ark for eight year olds, or ten year olds, or forty year olds...it really is a wonderful combination of action and humor with Spielberg clicking on all cylinders. It really is his most vibrant and enjoyable film in three decades. Tintin is a boy journalist who does things no ordinary boy would ever be allowed to do in real life, but this a movie based on a renowned European comic so if it's reality you want look elsewhere. He gets into adventures that conjure up memories of the aforementioned Raiders, as well as the best of the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie and first of The Mummy series. It's a helluva lot of fun. The animation allows Spielberg to do things he could never get away with using live action--even with today's cgi effects you could never suspend your disbelief during many of the action sequences, but it all works here because nothing is quite "real"--and that's a good thing. Heck, even Tintin's dog Snowy wouldn't work as effectively as a character if playing against real actors. Bottom line: If you like wonderful characters, broad humor, sly humor, cliffhanger situations, swashbuckling adventure, pirates, treasure, incredible chases, and awesome animation then go see it. If you don't, don't. Expand
  90. Dec 28, 2011
    Superb cinematography, awesome direction and great 3D. But it's childish, hard to enjoy. I don't get any attention besides Spielberg on the poster. Spielberg presents an ultimate adventure.
  91. Dec 27, 2011
    First I'll admit I was a big Tintin fan as a kid. Bias out of the way that could have been a bad thing. This movie was just brilliant. Fun, exciting, no slow bits. I hope they make more. The sets were highly evocative and the characters and voices were spot on. One of the best movies I've seen for a long time. Snowy was such a cool sidekick too. My daughter is 11 and she loved this movie. I highly recommend it to parents with kids in that age group as it's rare to find movies with absolutely no references to sex and no swearing. Expand
  92. Dec 27, 2011
    It starts off well and captivating but half way through it, it's all chasing here and there. I got dizzy following the action. I wish there were more characters development, maybe more depth in Tintin's as well as Haddock's stories. In conclusion, I feel the story lost its steam as it moved towards the end.
  93. Dec 27, 2011
    A very solid adventure movie. Tin Tin had great pacing and great artwork. I saw it in 3D and wished I hadn't because I'm sure the movie's colors are much more vivid with out the glasses.
  94. Dec 27, 2011
    I was a longtime fan of the Tintin comics growing up, and was pleasantly surprised to see that no less than Steven Spielberg was going to direct the big screen adaptation. I thought the motion capture animation looked like an interesting idea for adding some oomph to the simple-but-charming illustrations of the original material, and I was glad to hear they decided to adapt the Secret of the Unicorn arc, which stands out as one of the best stories in the oeuvre.

Unfortunately, the result was mediocre. Tintin the character is fine as portrayed ("Great snakes!"), but then he was always just the generically heroic straight man who existed mainly to keep the story moving forward. The real charm of the series has always been the supporting players, none more so than the irascible, irrepressible Captain Haddock, and this is where the movie falls short. The Captain in particular is handled just terribly; he's presented as a sloppy, drunken maniac, constantly bouncing off the walls and either bellowing at the top of his lungs or wallowing in sniveling self-pity. They reduce him to a broad comic relief buffoon who is far less entertaining than the character from the books (plus they give him a heavy Scottish brogue, which was absent from his written dialogue). Other than him, the Thomson twins are merely adequate, as is Bianca Castafiore (why they would decide to include her and leave out Professor Calculus I can't imagine). The one character I thought they really handled well was Snowy, who both looks adorable and acts like the Snowy I grew up with.

While I thought the motion capture animation was fine, it bothered me how they kept bending over backwards to create enormous setpieces full of pratfalls and over-the-top destruction. Yes, Tintin gets into his share of scrapes, but he's not James Bond. It's a stretch to have him zipping all over a Middle Eastern city on a motorcycle laying waste with a bazooka and playing chicken with a building-crushing tank. And don't even get me started on the dueling cranes. All of this, plus the fact that they mashed up two distinct Tintin stories for no apparent reason, leads me to suspect the creators didn't have much appreciation for the source material and were just trying to make a generic action-comedy to pack butts into seats.
  95. Dec 27, 2011
    Ignore the "nay sayers". Tintin is a decent movie, and definitely worth watching. Is it great? No. But it is good? Definitely. A decent story, good action, and it was fun. If you're interested, go see it.
  96. Dec 26, 2011
    Fantastic movie... The whole family loved it from young kids (5 and 7), dad, and even mom (who normally doesn't like animation or action movies!). I grew up in Belgium and I happen to be a fan of Tintin - I am very pleased with the result.
  97. Dec 25, 2011
    The Most Glorious Adventurous Animated Film Ever The Adventures of Tintin is Steven Spielberg's first Animated film and he showed why he is THE BEST.The Adventures of Tintin created a whole new dimension to the CGI world . The whole movie is unbelievably amazing . Its Adventurous, None stop Action , Mysterious , Thrilling , Funny and the first Animated film which had the Neo-Noir look ,in which Spielberg just nailed it . This movie had everything what we look for . The CGI never looked this much realistic . The way they put together the three story was really good work.The Score was amazing as well as the mixing . The Adventures of Tintin is a total entertainment that all will enjoy. Expand
  98. Dec 25, 2011
    'The Adventures of Tin Tin' is an underwhelming film. It isn't bad, like Spielberg mess 'War Horse', but it is disappointing. All the hype about this film, and all it turns out to be is a simple animated adventure film, with impressive visuals (which counts for about 3 points of my 6). It isn't memorable and while entertaining for one watch, I don't see it becoming any kind of classic.

Everything he did in live-action movies with rolling boulders and runaway convoys he does bigger and better - by a factor of ten - in every frame. At the end of two hours, my jaw ached from grinning.
  2. Reviewed by: Ben Sachs
    Dec 26, 2011
    Feels particularly mechanical. The movie isn't a complete waste: it adequately re-creates the comics' Dickensian characterization, and every frame brims with clever details. But once the action begins, Spielberg's incessant, force-fed "fun" quickly gets exhausting.
  3. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Dec 26, 2011
    In a movie year of more than two dozen animated films, this and "Rango" tower over all others. Welcome to America, Tintin. It's great getting to know you.