6.8

1. May 2, 2014
    Amazing! Great build-up for at least another two movies, as we all know. A great act of an epic saga. This Film has character-depth, character-development, an awesome score and an absolutely epic feeling in 3D.
  2. May 2, 2014
    Amazing pretty much says it all. I've seen the 1st Amazing Spider-Man about 20 times because of how well landed the characters were... with deeply rooted story. All the back story is pretty much the 1st film, Amazing Spider-Man 2 picks up were the first film ended (Maybe with a couple days gone by.) (don't worry no spoilers here.) Also no matter what age you are, I can honestly say you'llAmazing pretty much says it all. I've seen the 1st Amazing Spider-Man about 20 times because of how well landed the characters were... with deeply rooted story. All the back story is pretty much the 1st film, Amazing Spider-Man 2 picks up were the first film ended (Maybe with a couple days gone by.) (don't worry no spoilers here.) Also no matter what age you are, I can honestly say you'll love this film. A great deal of love is well woven into the (well-written) story. 100% A+ 10/10 Expand
  3. May 2, 2014
    Ludicrous plotting doesn't spoil an otherwise entertaining Marvel adventure,although it isn't as good as the first instalment. This sequel benefits from the continuance of gifted actor Andrew Garfield as the titular character. His ability is almost wasted in such a generic movie. In the past he has demonstrated superlative talent in such powerful dramas as 'Boy A' and 'Red Riding' and oneLudicrous plotting doesn't spoil an otherwise entertaining Marvel adventure,although it isn't as good as the first instalment. This sequel benefits from the continuance of gifted actor Andrew Garfield as the titular character. His ability is almost wasted in such a generic movie. In the past he has demonstrated superlative talent in such powerful dramas as 'Boy A' and 'Red Riding' and one can only hope that he returns to more substantial roles soon.
    What we have here is a known entity which will delight its fan base. A slick package with all the usual components fabulously integrated including out standing visual effects,sharp editing and eye catching cinematography. The film is never dull or boring, although it is slightly drawn out, and the romantic interludes are predictably sweet, if forgettable. It's all very undemanding stuff and the over sensitive may even shed a tear or two. A surprise sequence near the end of the film, involving Emma Stone, is a knockout of a scene.
  4. May 2, 2014
    It's just so bland and boring.... the film lacks a pulse. There was one genuinely heart-felt moment toward the very end of the film that got me, but the rest? Very blah. The second Captain America film was a thousand times better than this film. The chemistry between the two leads is meager, the bad guys don't inspire fear like those in the the Dark Knight series - not even close. YouIt's just so bland and boring.... the film lacks a pulse. There was one genuinely heart-felt moment toward the very end of the film that got me, but the rest? Very blah. The second Captain America film was a thousand times better than this film. The chemistry between the two leads is meager, the bad guys don't inspire fear like those in the the Dark Knight series - not even close. You can't even put those two franchises in the same paragraph. I was a HUGE Spider-Man fan as a kid - what a shame that they can't make a good movie for this character. (Or a good video game, for that matter.) Expand
  5. May 2, 2014
    EPIC from start to finish!! Don't listen to the critics saying that these movies shouldn't exist. Who cares that it has not been that long since the original trilogy? Marc Webb is doing an awesome job with Spider-Man and this one left me wanting more!! It's a must see in IMAX 3D!!
  6. May 3, 2014
    I'm really sad for Marc Webb he's been more and more disappointing since his romantic flick '500 days of summer'. In 'The amazing Spider-Man 2' there's a lot of plot holes and the characters don't feel like they've been developed properly. The movie force-feed information that aren't even required for the plot to advance. It feels like the movie has been rushed and is overly complicated asI'm really sad for Marc Webb he's been more and more disappointing since his romantic flick '500 days of summer'. In 'The amazing Spider-Man 2' there's a lot of plot holes and the characters don't feel like they've been developed properly. The movie force-feed information that aren't even required for the plot to advance. It feels like the movie has been rushed and is overly complicated as it lose itself in explosions, electricity and cgi. Expand
  7. May 2, 2014
    This film is just boring and much too long, characters are ridiculusly overdrawn, gwen-peter plot is annoying and boring, you will be wanting to kill spiderman long before electro. I never felt so cheated in cinema.
  8. May 2, 2014
    THIS MOVIE WAS AMAZING ! Once again the critics are so far way off base as you will find out when thousands of people flock the the big screen on Friday nite. top notch story line, off the hook effects that will blow you out of your seat and wanting more which you will get, acting was superb and the ending was asum and did not leave you hanging like most movies. So satisifing that I wouldTHIS MOVIE WAS AMAZING ! Once again the critics are so far way off base as you will find out when thousands of people flock the the big screen on Friday nite. top notch story line, off the hook effects that will blow you out of your seat and wanting more which you will get, acting was superb and the ending was asum and did not leave you hanging like most movies. So satisifing that I would compair it to an orgasum. You will gasp, you will laugh, you will cry, it has it all and all at the right moment. Your fingers and toes will hurt when you leave the theater because its a white knuckle ride from start to finish. Dont leave right after the movie, there is a surprize clip. Im going to go and see it again tomorrow nite { Friday Night } in a packed house. I went to midnight showing on Thursday and there were about 50 people in the theater, people have to work on Friday and can't function on 3 hours of sleep, thats why it was not packed. But all 50 of us were clapping and cheering hard at the end. And nothing but positive comments. Cant wait to see the next one. CRITICS...PLEASE GET A DAY JOB AND LET US REAL PEOPLE WRITE THE REVIEWS !!!!! Best movie of the year and will be very hard to beat. Trust me...GO SEE THIS MOVIE, IT IS A MUST SEE MOVIE. Not to mention it is a touching, motivating and inspiring movie. Captain America did not even come close to SM2. P.S. Check out the user review that begins with { Lamo } and gave this movie a rating of 3. Then think about why his user name begins with Lamo. Cause his review was LAMO. But we all have a right to score how we wish. Just dont pay no attention to that review. Doesn't even seem like he saw the right movie at all or was watching Captain America which I found to be bland and would give Captain America about a 5 or 6 at most. Expand
  9. May 2, 2014
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2 struggles to find its footing in the grand scheme of its story, making it feel like it was a bridge to the third movie. As a movie introducing you to further events, however, it did a great job. While not as good as the original Amazing Spider-Man, I must say that The Amazing Spider-Man 2 slowly builds up to what could easily be a great third movie.
  10. May 2, 2014
    This movie may not be the greatest Spider-Man movie of all time but it is the best of the "Amazing" trilogy so far. Now this film takes a more comical/ straight out of a comic book approach and it seems the visual effects work very well for it. The movie did have some pretty weak villains, and reason for Electro becoming bad is just silly. All in all the movie did have some problems but itThis movie may not be the greatest Spider-Man movie of all time but it is the best of the "Amazing" trilogy so far. Now this film takes a more comical/ straight out of a comic book approach and it seems the visual effects work very well for it. The movie did have some pretty weak villains, and reason for Electro becoming bad is just silly. All in all the movie did have some problems but it was still very enjoyable and it had heart. Expand
  11. May 9, 2014
    Inconsistent, bland and tries to be more genres than it should. Electro looks like a 'WWE2K14' Create-A-Wrestler and Peter cries about every little thing.
  12. May 7, 2014
    I and alot of my friends who have seen this movie have all come to the same conclusion: While it wasn't as bad as we thought it was going to be, based on the reviews, it still wasn't all that great as everything in the movie felt rushed with all the bad guys they were throwing at you the entire time. There's alot going on in this but it was kinda boring at times as well. It's clear theyI and alot of my friends who have seen this movie have all come to the same conclusion: While it wasn't as bad as we thought it was going to be, based on the reviews, it still wasn't all that great as everything in the movie felt rushed with all the bad guys they were throwing at you the entire time. There's alot going on in this but it was kinda boring at times as well. It's clear they are going to play up the Sinister Six angle in future movies, and that might be fun to see, but if they go about their business the same way as in this one, it definitely won't be very remembered in the future. I think Andrew Garfield is a better Peter Parker than a Spiderman. The man certainly knows how to cry on screen. He and Emma Stone really mesh together very well and I'm glad they took Mary Jane out of this one at the last second because the focus of the movie was on these two and not a third wheel. The fights were pretty good, with the slow-mo effects being hit or miss. But this movie just doesn't hit the mark like some of the recent Superhero movies have, like Cap 2 or Thor 2 or even the Avengers to a lesser extent. I hope they go back to the drawing board a little bit here for the third one and don't try to just stuff as many things as possible into a 2 hour movie like they did here. It's honestly quite Amazing they got all of this to work as well as they did here. But I'll say it's not as terribly bad as alot of people are suggesting. It's just mildly bad. Expand
  13. May 26, 2014
    Garfield/Webb is quickly becoming to Spider-Man what Clooney/Schumacher was to the Batman franchise. I'm surprised the Transformers didn't make an appearance.
  14. May 9, 2014
    This is one of the worst films I have ever seen. I honestly feel a 3 is generous here. First, the positives: the Spider-Man suit here is really, really good. The effects look nice (though the way Electro's electricity is visualised is pretty stupid), and are certainly better than the previous film. Gwen and Peter work together, kind of, but that's only on the basis of the actor's abilitiesThis is one of the worst films I have ever seen. I honestly feel a 3 is generous here. First, the positives: the Spider-Man suit here is really, really good. The effects look nice (though the way Electro's electricity is visualised is pretty stupid), and are certainly better than the previous film. Gwen and Peter work together, kind of, but that's only on the basis of the actor's abilities and has nothing to do with the writing or direction.

The plot is a set of threads that don't coherently link together in any way. The only reason any of them ever connect is because they need to. For example, Gwen pops up near the end of the Electro fight because she needs to be there for the Goblin scene. How do we get her there? Oh, I guess she steals a police car. The writing is just so ridiculously lazy, I swear they came up with the major actions scenes and then decided how to link them later.

There are so many parts of this film that are just laughably poor. Anything to do with Aunt May, Harry and Norman's scene, the fake "buddy-buddy" relationship of Harry and Peter (who haven't even seen each other for a decade and are suddenly best friends again, reminiscing about old times), the ghost of Gwen's dad, some of the music choices (particularly when Peter is moping about Gwen/looking up info about his father), the "web-hand" near the end, the Goblin's appearance, the way Electro is beaten, the final shot/scene. I mean really, the end of this film, really? That's how you end a film? And for a film where so little happens, it's so damn long. I wanted it to end about 90 minutes in, and there's still so much to go.

Make no mistake, this is an objectively bad film.
  15. May 25, 2014
    By far and away the worst Spider-Man movie I have ever seen and almost as bad as Daredevil. It barely has a plot at all and the dialogue is so bad most of the scenes involving talking would be better with ear plugs on so you wouldn`t have to listen to them. The guy playing Spider-Man is incapable of delivering a single, ill written line for the duration of the movie. It all comes off asBy far and away the worst Spider-Man movie I have ever seen and almost as bad as Daredevil. It barely has a plot at all and the dialogue is so bad most of the scenes involving talking would be better with ear plugs on so you wouldn`t have to listen to them. The guy playing Spider-Man is incapable of delivering a single, ill written line for the duration of the movie. It all comes off as corny(in a bad way), obnoxious, unbelievable or all three at once. He reminds you of why adults as a general rule loathe high school age young people: instead of speaking properly it`s all AAAHMs and EEHs stuck in all over the place, and some annoying cool guy grimace, head bobbing and all the other hallmarks of ham acting and/or a lack of civilized education.
    If it wasn`t for ALL the dialogue in ALL the scenes between Peter Parker and Harry Osborn, all the dialogue between Peter Parker and Aunt May and in particular all the dialogue between Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy I might give this movie about a 4, even if it would then have been about 35 minutes long, if that. But every stilted, poorly written and atrociously directed "love" scene between Parker and Stacy drags the movie down, down down until I for one sat with my sweater upside down over my head to distract myself and so I would not have to watch the disaster. Once or twice I even put my hands in my ears and rubbed vigorously so I wouldn`t have to listen to the inane babble posing as dialogue in this movie. It all sounded as if a couple of underachieving twelve year olds had written it.
    As for the villains, Electro is a black guy while he of course was not in the comics. Otherwise he is the only positive thing I can mention about The "Amazing" Spider man 2. The Green Goblin looks like he has some form of green necrosis whereas he of course wore a mask in the comics. And since he is now played by a guy who looks like weighs about 80 pounds the entire thing just looked silly.
    But these are far from the only deviations from the original story. The Rhino was not a robot, firing missiles at civilians, but a super human bank robber who had been given great strength but also a rhino suit he coulndn`t remove. And to think they stuck the only good actor appearing in this turkey (Paul Giamatti) inside a transformers like rocket launcher before calling this insult The Rhino. i was hoping for as long as possible that it was not The Rhino, but this became impossible as soon as Giamatti shouted "I`M THE RHINO!". Talk about subtle
    Of course the grating Gwen Stacy also dies in the wrong place and about two hours too late to rescue the movie from its complete lack of quality. And even after they finally kill her off, after a ridiculous sequence of baloney inside a clock tower which was more reminiscent of the classic Donald, Mickey and Goofy cartoon than the comic about her death from the 60s, they somehow manage to resurrect her in flashbacks. She even repeats a pointless graduation speech, as if it wasn`t trite enough the first time around. And it`s not just that it`s bad, but that it is never stops. The movie has about a 75-25 balance between these horrible scenes with Peter Parker talking to people, with his best frown and I have a 75 IQ smile on, and action/other, less horrible scenes. But in entirely the wrong direction! I barely had time to lean back with my popcorn to enjoy some dialogue-free action before he was there again, popping up like some recurring nightmare with his unbearably poor dialogue. If Stacy, May and Osborn had all died in the opening scene in a car crash this movie would have been better. I don`t care if they had replaced them with endless scenes of Garfield fighting hoodlums in New York back alleys. It would have been better.

I don`t mind alterations to the plot, which is about 50 years old after all. But at least make them because they are improvements or indeed for some intelligible purpose whatsoever, and not just to make Gwen Stacy a feminist or give the Green Goblin the plague.
    All the CGI in the world couldn`t have saved this one. And I wasn`t all that impressed with the visuals either. All flash and no substance does not a good movie make. You need believable characters, good dialogue and you know...a plot. This movie has neither. Avoid like the Green Goblin`s skin condition!
  16. Aug 23, 2014
    Typical movie from american production, action scenes are great but everything that happens between them are just cringy "emotional" moments full of clichés.
  17. Sep 3, 2014
    One of the worst movies I have ever seen. The humor was lame and out of place. I forced myself to watch it until the end to make sure the terrible script would continue to the credits. It did.
  18. May 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My latest cinema-going of a 3D spectacle of the second chapter of the Amazing Spider-Man, whereas its first instalment THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (2012, 6/10), a reboot of Sam Raimi’s sensational SPIDER-MAN trilogy, is a hit-or-miss in general, but the Garfield and Stone pair does stand out with their affable affinity and spontaneous chemistry, so when it is time for Stone’s Gwen Stacy to take a bow and exit the franchise, as fans know it from the start, her fate is presaged by the comic books,

read rest of the review on my blog, google cinema omnivore.
  19. May 8, 2014
    The visual FX are outstanding, and the action sequences are well executed, the problem with this film is the lack of focus the script has.
    Not only is filled with a ridiculous and unnecessary love subplot , the villans are weak, there is only one villan in this movie: Electro and doesn´t manage to pull off his role well, his only the bad guy because the movie needs one, there's no relation between hero and villan at all unlike The first Amazing spiderman with the rivalry between Spidey/Lizard.
    And then are the other 2 villans, the Green Gobling shows out of nowhere and their fight doesn't last for a minute, and Rhyno shows up at the last 45 seconds of the movie to end it with a shot of Spidey and him clashing in a fight it's a teaser to the next movie in fact The Amazing Spiderman 2 is a teaser for the next installment it's a good distraction but not a memorable one.
  20. May 18, 2014
    The good: Everything about Gwen's story and the chemistry between Gwen and Peter Parker; the web slinging through the city, which is more visceral and believable by far than in the Sam Raimi movies.

The bad: Overall the movie was too brooding and dark, and the story re Peter's father took too long to unfold. Also, they collapsed what should have been two movies into one. The Osborn Green Goblin saga deserved a movie of its own.

Overall, though, to me this is the authentic Spider-Man film series. I love that they really are playing up the Gwen Stacy story. If you could take Andrew and Emma and the web-slinging from these films and plug them into the Sam Raimi movies, you'd really have something.
  21. Jun 6, 2014
    Great movie, but it has a very misleading trailer and it's a typical "second of the trilogy" movie.

The trailer makes out that certain characters have a large part in the story, but in reality they have a total of about 10 minutes. There are also scenes in the trailer which never happen at all, if they did happen it actually could have improved the story. The ending ties up leaving

The ending ties up leaving many story arcs unfinished (typical of "second of the trilogy" movies), which is a bit frustrating but the overall experience of the movie is enjoyable enough to forgive it.
  22. May 9, 2014
    The Amazing Spiderman 2 is the sequel to 2012's Amazing Spiderman, a reboot of the Spiderman film franchise. While the movie is definitely summer blockbuster material, it goes into a completly different story direction then its predecessor. While the first one seemed to give audiences a true feel for Peter's identity as not only a vigilante but as a human character, this movie throws a tonThe Amazing Spiderman 2 is the sequel to 2012's Amazing Spiderman, a reboot of the Spiderman film franchise. While the movie is definitely summer blockbuster material, it goes into a completly different story direction then its predecessor. While the first one seemed to give audiences a true feel for Peter's identity as not only a vigilante but as a human character, this movie throws a ton of subplots at you that it just feels kindof hard to feel bad for the protagonist when he falls into the breakup makeup cog trap with his girlfriend Gwen who just doesn't give off the same charm she does in the original. When the Electro plot begins, the story doesn't feel as tragic as it does pathetic. The obsessive personality over Spiderman as well as the ridiculous buisness ethics of Oscorp make you wonder whether your supposed to feel bad for this guy, or that you should think he is the dumbest movie villian you've ever seen in a non-comedic summer blockbuster. When Harry reunites with Peter, he also becomes somewat obssessed with Spiderman making him and Electro two desperate cliche movie villians that want some guy dressed in a spiderman costume to save them from their insanity. Oh by the way, when Harry takes a turn for the worst, the movie fails to explain why he becomes so messed up, it absolutely does not explain the whys or how he shows up to kickstart the movie into a climax, all we know is that he plays cliche mad scientist. Don't get me started on the Rhino, he doesn't even fight Spiderman, he is the result of false adverstising one hundred percent. If you want to see everything the Rhino does in the movie, watch any of the trailers and you will know. I liked the pace of the movie and the visuals, the randomness as well, but that is me, I know that this movie should have had a deeper plot and fulfilled its promise to truly have Spiderman fight three villians let alone not fight one. This feels like a sizzle reel that I enjoyed watching because I love Spiderman but it is just an exploit of movie culture, that is: "Spiderman will fight three badass villians in a sequel to the reboot with the villians played by a well ranged and talented cast of Paul Giamatti, Jamie Foxx, and Dan Dehaan." And that is what made me unhappy with the movie, it didn't even deliver the main goods it promised, and also left us with a stupid cliffhanger and machete plot. Reccomend it for everyone because everyone loves a spiderman movie, but this movie is really one random piece of work that has enjoyable moments scattered throughout a movie of ridiculous and redundant plot devices and cheap false marketing tactics. Expand
  23. Dec 20, 2014
    I really loved the first of " The Amazing Spider Man," series. I can`t say the same for this one. I was really let down. It was a roller coaster ride for me. I liked watching the character Electro, but it got a bit carried away in Spider Mans love life.Don`t get me wrong they had good chemistry, but I wanted to watch a super her movie, not a romance/drama flick. Instead of watching theI really loved the first of " The Amazing Spider Man," series. I can`t say the same for this one. I was really let down. It was a roller coaster ride for me. I liked watching the character Electro, but it got a bit carried away in Spider Mans love life.Don`t get me wrong they had good chemistry, but I wanted to watch a super her movie, not a romance/drama flick. Instead of watching the "Amazing Spider Man," I felt like I was watching a movie about Peter Parkers relationships. Expand
  24. Aug 31, 2014
    The second movie in the new Spider-man movie series that directed by Marc Webb. I doubt his potential after seeing this movie. I feel someone should take his position before it become too late. In the history of the Spider-man movies, from all the 6 this one is the worst. Commercially it has done a great business that grabbed around $800 million all over the world, but failed to deliverThe second movie in the new Spider-man movie series that directed by Marc Webb. I doubt his potential after seeing this movie. I feel someone should take his position before it become too late. In the history of the Spider-man movies, from all the 6 this one is the worst. Commercially it has done a great business that grabbed around $800 million all over the world, but failed to deliver another quality movie for the fans. The movie engaged with the too much character and subplots. The subplots were not placed in the right spots, kind of random appearance brings the chaos in understanding the story. I had a high hope on this movie and it did not supply well. Frankly, I kind of lost interest in Spider-man. Maybe because it was too soon to reboot, I guess.

‘‘You want to be the hero.
    And now you gotta pay the price.’’

The first movie gave a decent re-start for the refreshed Spider-man movie series. And what happened here in this second installment was a disaster. The first thing is it was nearly a 2 and half an hour movie that brought me lightly a headache to carry on thus far. Actually, it was 10 minutes shorter than what it is now, but in the end they have developed a bit longer to show the opening scene of the third movie. When a movie got a powerful hero, it should have equally matched antagonist. If they are matched, then the fight between them are the next thing to bring the best out of it. I think the Electro man did not click as they have expected, at least not to me. The strength he had was something beyond spider-man, but did not unleash him in a perfect manner. Though Jamie Foxx was not bad in that avatar, the filmmakers kind of wasted his presence for not so good scenes.

Remember the original Spider-man was the modern superhero movies, I mean it was done using computer graphics. Afterwards 'Batman', 'Iron Man', 'Thor' and all were followed. I like the version with Tobey Maguire in it, though my rating declined by movie after another in the trilogy. This reboot series had a good opening, but failed to get the momentum going. Especially all the emotions were looked fakes that do not appeal like the original movie series did. Yes, it had a wonderful box office and that does not mean the movie is good, either worst. But expected a little better, especially in the negative characters. Andrew Garfield was good, not awesome, because most of his masked parts were CGI. Emma stone was another let down and could not help comparing her with Kristen Dunst, because she was no way near, at all. The Dane DeHaan role had the same issue and I don't know why people did not get better space in the movie that ran 140 minutes long. Like I said subplot spoiled everything I think. The digital 3D and stunts were poor. Yeah, there are many things to complain about it than to praise, but all the answer should come in the next sequel. If that makes bigger, not commercially, I mean with a good story, graphics and performances then there will be no problem. But if it fails, I had to say 'bring back the fourth installment of the original movie series'. Definitely not worth a watch, but anyway most of the guys going to watch it or already watched it.
  25. May 7, 2014
    The story of this film is all over the place. It basically focuses on setting up these two villains, just so spider-man can have a big nutty fight at the end, with nothing in between to keep us interested. It still feels cluttered due to this boring romantic subplot with Peter Parker and Gwen Stacey, which overstayed it's welcome in the first movie and gets old fast in this one too. ThereThe story of this film is all over the place. It basically focuses on setting up these two villains, just so spider-man can have a big nutty fight at the end, with nothing in between to keep us interested. It still feels cluttered due to this boring romantic subplot with Peter Parker and Gwen Stacey, which overstayed it's welcome in the first movie and gets old fast in this one too. There is one moment which I thought was done very well, though.

The CGI is generally very good and the cast does it's job, but in my opinion its too long and uninteresting for it to be a good superhero action movie.
  26. May 7, 2014
    While this movie is entertaining - it failed to live up to expectations! Great acting and action; superb chemistry between Gwen and Peter! Terrible villain developing; forgettable score! Overall Amazing S-M 2 is on the quality level of Raimy's Spider-man 3 - entertaining but flawed !!!
  27. May 13, 2014
    Internet critics seem to hate it but I really enjoyed both the super-villain antics and Parker's real-life drama. Andrew Garfield is a great Spider-Man and this is the perfect antithesis to the hugely gritty other superhero franchises.
  28. Aug 4, 2014
    It was an ok movie but it was too long. Took about an hour before something finally started to happen they could of easily cut 40-50 min or so and it would of been just fine (It last 2h 20min). Acting is good, story was ok and thanks to the ending I now want to know what happens next, like RIGHT NOW.
  29. Aug 17, 2014
    This second installment of the Spiderman reboot is a bit greater than it’s predecessor, but it suffers with the same deficiencies.

Well the CGI is incredible, and the action is okay, but not as great as I would define as awesome. The soundtrack is a bit more epic than it’s predecessor, but I miss a more greater one. The negative aspects are of course the bad ending, the slow amount of action, the weird story and the bad actor Andrew Garfield as Spiderman. I'm actually surprised that this movie isn’t that epic as I would want it to be, because it got two awesome writers: Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, who gave us Star Trek (2009) and other great films.

My conclusion of The Amazing Spiderman 2 is that it’s greater than the first movie, but it still suffer with bad directing and writing.

The Amazing Spiderman 2 get a 6.7/10
  30. May 9, 2014
    while there were some things in this movie i didn't like, mainly some of the slow mo and the way it ended, i thing that overall, the characters, story, and action make it a really good watch. the effects were good as well. i also really liked the main villain, but felt that there were a few unnecessary ones as well. overall though, i think amazing spiderman 2 is a good movie, just as goodwhile there were some things in this movie i didn't like, mainly some of the slow mo and the way it ended, i thing that overall, the characters, story, and action make it a really good watch. the effects were good as well. i also really liked the main villain, but felt that there were a few unnecessary ones as well. overall though, i think amazing spiderman 2 is a good movie, just as good as the first, and possibly better. Expand
  31. May 9, 2014
    One word, BORING!!!, tired of the super hero pictures that are 75% about romance and 25% about the villain and they try to cram the action in the last 15 minutest of a two and a half hour film.
  32. May 15, 2014
    The Movie was awesome.Best Spidey movie ever.We watched an awesome story,and the focus was in Peter and Gwen's relationship.Jamie Foxx was awesome as Electro,but Dane DeHaan,Andrew and Emma saved everything.BEST MOVIE EVER!
  33. May 7, 2014
    This movie has been very difficult to review. At first, I loved the movie, then looking back I didn't. I have finally made up my mind, and I think I actually favor it over the original ones; however, it took a lot of thinking.

First, the music is absolutely awful. Dubstep in Spider-Man?! Absolutely not! The originals had amazing music! Second, the pacing is a little odd; it goes from action scene to love scene to funny scene to action scene to funny scene to action scene to love scene, and I kind of got lost in it all. It was just too long for a Spider-Man movie. It also felt like a big bridge. The CGI was also "eh"...

However, I actually liked the villains. Although I would've liked to see the redemption of Electro, he was a satisfying villain, as was Harry a.k.a. the Green Goblin. Also, the chemistry between Stone and Garfield is AMAZING!!! I was sad to see her die, but it further boosted the emotion of the film. The back-story with Richard Parker (not from Life of Pi lol) was also interesting, and the I cannot wait to see how the Sinister Six plays out next movie...

Overall, a 7/10...
  34. May 6, 2014
    Look i could go on for hours talking about what the movie did & didnt do (what worked & didnt) etc.. But after hearing some of the negative buzz before going into the film i tried to see it as un biased as possible. And while its not the greatest superhero film up there w/ the likes of the Dark Knight or even Spiderman 2 i can honestly say it was a fun time regardless...Sure some scenesLook i could go on for hours talking about what the movie did & didnt do (what worked & didnt) etc.. But after hearing some of the negative buzz before going into the film i tried to see it as un biased as possible. And while its not the greatest superhero film up there w/ the likes of the Dark Knight or even Spiderman 2 i can honestly say it was a fun time regardless...Sure some scenes felt a bit strung out,coincidental and/or cheesy but i would say if ur hesitant just go see it, its really not as bad as some view it IMO. Expand
  35. May 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't understand why people hate this movie so much. Yeah, the romance was more than the action, yeah some parts weren't so good so what? Every movie has a problem, whether minor or serious. The movie was excellent. I sympathized with Electro, green goblin was well made. My only objection was the design of rhino, but had a pretty funny scene in the beginning of the movie, one of the few. To sum up, i think it is an overall excellent movie with some minor flaws. Ooooh and when Gwen died... didn't see that coming, well played... Expand
  36. May 11, 2014
    Better than the first Amazing Spider-Man and better than anything out of the Raimi trilogy. The story definitely isn't perfect and at times feels like a cluttered grouping of otherwise great individual moments, but overall it entertains throughout. There are some plot devices used to connect different threads that feel a bit to convenient and underdeveloped. There are also some campyBetter than the first Amazing Spider-Man and better than anything out of the Raimi trilogy. The story definitely isn't perfect and at times feels like a cluttered grouping of otherwise great individual moments, but overall it entertains throughout. There are some plot devices used to connect different threads that feel a bit to convenient and underdeveloped. There are also some campy humorous moments with Spider-Man but they aren't overdone to the point of taking away from the rest of the movie. The action scenes are really well done and the first web slinging scene is the best that has been on the big screen yet. The costume is also fantastic, they really nailed it.

In my opinion while it isn't perfect this is still the best live action Spider-Man to date. Definitely worth seeing.
  37. CDG
    Jun 26, 2014
    I thought this movie was stellar. It had a few villain pacing problems, but it was an awesome movie that I recommend that has given me a new respect for The Friendly Neighborhood Spider-man.
  38. Aug 19, 2014
    The Amazing Spiderman 2 had an impressive opening weekend with a pretty good take at 91.6 million. It was lighter than the 95 million posted by Captain America, The Winter Soldier a few weeks earlier. Honestly, I liked the Cap a little better than this Spiderman movie anyway.

I will avoid any serious spoilers but cannot avoid indicating that there are some major developments in this film. Be careful when reading movie reviews if you haven’t seen it because the potential for spoiler harm in this flick is very high.

Because this is a reboot it is impossible not to make comparisons to the first trilogy starring Toby Maguire as Peter Parker, AKA Spiderman. Andrew Garfield is great behind the mask. But that is really more credit to the screenwriter’s producing superior Spidey wise cracks in the dialog that harken back to the character in the comics. I feel that Garfield’s Peter Parker is a little too cool. In all fairness the Peter Parker character has morphed from the original 1960s shy nerdy high schooler who gains confidence behind the mask into a more socially outgoing college student character that uses his goofy humor to mask his insecurities. So the Garfield interpretation isn’t really “wrong” per say. I just guess I prefer that original geeky wimp persona of the 1960s comics than the later incarnation.

Overall I think Garfield does a better job in front of the camera as Parker and Spidey. This Spiderman movie features multiple bad guys, some with superpowers, some with authoritative power. The movie drags a bit with the complex relationship between Parker/Spidey and Gwen Stacy. I don’t feel like they were able to manage the drama portion of the film that is necessary to tell the back story and romance between Gwen and Spidey. I like Garfield, Sally Field delivers as Aunt May, I rather liked the quasi creepiness of Dane Dehan as Harry Osborn.

It is interesting that the Spiderman back in 2002 did a pretty accurate job of depicting the Green Goblin (Norman Osborn) but failed miserably using Mary Jane Watson instead of Gwen Stacy in the leading lady role. At least this new reboot got the girl right. Gwen Stacy was Parker’s first love. In the comics Mary Jane was Gwen’s friend. None of these movies thus far has really made that connection between the two girls. I really think that Sony’s involvement in the Spiderman franchise is a negative. Stan Lee has less control over the content in the Spiderman movies because of contractual obligations to Sony/Columbia Pictures.

Overall I did enjoy the movie. I felt the plot development was chunky at times but Spidey’s character and solid dialog made up for it. Honestly it may be a little Spiderman fatigue, what with this the 5th movie in 12 years to feature the web slinging super hero. None the less, I think that Marvel fans and non-fans alike got their 12 bucks worth watching this film. It is just that, every time I watch a new Spiderman movie I find myself back to my favorite which is the first one with William Defoe as Norman Osborn/Green Goblin, and J.K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jamieson. Despite the discrepancies to comic book lore that first one remains my personal favorite.

Now that this is a DVD/Bluray rental, definitely see it!
  39. Jul 21, 2014
    the central problem of the film The Amazing Spiderman 2 is that the film can not decide what genre it go blockbuster or drama. And a villians very many.
  40. Jul 26, 2014
    Garfield's portrayal of Spiderman is the best thing about the film - often corny but always likeable. After spending a couple of hours quipping and web-slinging in equal measure like the superhero he is, he ends with a pure and real human touch. Better than the first reboot film, but too many adversarial cooks spoil the broth, with none of them quite worthy of carrying the antagonist torchGarfield's portrayal of Spiderman is the best thing about the film - often corny but always likeable. After spending a couple of hours quipping and web-slinging in equal measure like the superhero he is, he ends with a pure and real human touch. Better than the first reboot film, but too many adversarial cooks spoil the broth, with none of them quite worthy of carrying the antagonist torch by themselves. Expand
  41. Nov 10, 2014
    Too much characters and subplots amongst other cons threaten to overwhelm the movie but the entire cast led by the talented Andrew Garfield (and the visual effects team) once again saves the day.
  42. Aug 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. OK so this is coming from a young, but lifetime Spider-Man fan! I preordered tickets. Got the 11 o'clock showing on May 1st. This movie opens up with spiderman swinging around the city, and chasing a truck which has future rhino driving it. Its great as the wise ass spiderman cracks jokes and stops the villian. Classic good ole spidey. The action in this movie was absolutely great! Emma Stone and Garfield were great. Electro was an ok villian. He didnt have enough build up for him to really have an effect on you. But the CGI did look very good. Green Goblin was very well done (looks wise). it was like they took an aproach in between the 2002 green goblin and the ultimate goblin. I think he and harry hasd a decent story. Since the didnt kill him off like they did Venom in 07', it was fine. Gwens death the very sad, but very, very, VERY well done. Garfields acring was great during this scene as it was the whole ,movie! The very end was good and bad. I loved it when spiderman came back after his 5 month disapearence. But the Rhino.... one word AWFUL! I dont want to get into the Rhino. Overall i thought this was a good film. if not really good! Hoped you enjoyed ,my review. im new, and only 14 so dont bash. Expand
  43. Aug 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wasn't sure of this movie at first, bought it on DVD and was entertained from beginning to end. Thought the inclusion of Electro would be difficult to pull off, but the storyline was effective and the cgi amazing! So many storylines were crammed into this movie, Peter's parents, Electro, Green Goblin (Harry Osborn), the romantic relationship between Peter and Gwen and yet it was all thoroughly satisfying and enjoyable. The cast were all exceptional they brought the characters to life.

Better than the first and also better than the original, with a twist ending that gave Spiderman a real reason as to why he needs to protect his identity, which i thought was missing in the originals.

I couldn't ask for anything more from a movie, i highly recommend you buy it on DVD or Blu-ray.
  44. Oct 14, 2014
    It has gone down compared to the previous one. This part is very long and the characters talk too much between them. But The Amazing Spider-Man 2 gives us again a lot of mystery about the disappearance of the parents of Peter Parker, some magnificent performances by Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone with wonderful visual effects and a nice (but not as good as the previous) soundtrack. (61 - 100)
  45. Nov 5, 2014
    bad villans, cartonish, the only reason to watch this movie is to see the top cast and the great special effects, this movie is a new spider man 3 which is not a complement
  46. WJS
    Dec 20, 2014
    This movie is all about the special effects (which are fantastic) even though it tries to be about the interpersonal relationships of the characters. Unfortunately the scenes with the interpersonal dialogue are overwrought and the visual and action sequences are directed with a very heavy hand. The actors are very good and do their best with the dialogue and direction but really, thisThis movie is all about the special effects (which are fantastic) even though it tries to be about the interpersonal relationships of the characters. Unfortunately the scenes with the interpersonal dialogue are overwrought and the visual and action sequences are directed with a very heavy hand. The actors are very good and do their best with the dialogue and direction but really, this movie just doesn't succeed above a Spider Man cartoon or comic book. Expand
  47. Feb 1, 2015
    As a huge Spider-Man fan, I can't say this is a good Spider-Man film. Although I wouldn't call it a bad one either. The plot is just crazy stupid, the humor is so-so, the villains weren't good enough, etc. But the special effects and acting were OK. The biggest problem with this movie is that it tries so hard to be so many things, and unfortunately, ends up not being enough. Bottom line:As a huge Spider-Man fan, I can't say this is a good Spider-Man film. Although I wouldn't call it a bad one either. The plot is just crazy stupid, the humor is so-so, the villains weren't good enough, etc. But the special effects and acting were OK. The biggest problem with this movie is that it tries so hard to be so many things, and unfortunately, ends up not being enough. Bottom line: Is it bad? Not really. Disappointing? Hell yes. Expand
  48. May 2, 2014
    I have been counting down this movie since the day I saw the promo image. I have spent probably nearly $300 on Spider-Man products due to my excitement. I watch all the Spider-Man animated series and can quote the Sam Raimi trilogy from the start of the first movie to the end of the third. So basically, I know my Spider-Man. I have never built up anticipation for a movie like this before.I have been counting down this movie since the day I saw the promo image. I have spent probably nearly $300 on Spider-Man products due to my excitement. I watch all the Spider-Man animated series and can quote the Sam Raimi trilogy from the start of the first movie to the end of the third. So basically, I know my Spider-Man. I have never built up anticipation for a movie like this before. The trailers would give me goosebumps. However, once I started seeing the critics reviews I did begin thinking how the actual film itself would turn out. Here is what I thought: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 has scenes that will make the audience absolutely smile. Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone are impossible to not love as the lead roles, creating very realistic and adorable chemistry. Great performances on their part. The villains however, I have some suggestions for: SLOW DOWN. We are introduced to Max Dillon and he gets about a total of 6 minutes of screen time before transforming into Electro. He needed a longer, more detailed backstory. He and Electro are two completely different people too. I think it would have been great to have Electro come to his senses at the end when he sees that Gwen, the only person who noticed him before he developed his powers, was in trouble. It would have added depth to the character rather than just having a man with super powers, for no real reason, wanting to kill Spider-Man. However, his special effects and physical appearance are always insanely awesome to look at. Paul Giamatti is one of the greatest actors on Earth, but boy was his villain the least threatening thing you have ever seen. The Rhino appears in about 1/300th of the film, however it IS because they were just introducing him to be set up for TASM3. Hopefully he is more threatening then. The final villain, Harry Osborn, had the largest back story, yet ridiculously small Green Goblin screen time. I cannot get too upset because they will be bringing him back as well, but where they messed up is having way too many plot points. We jump from Peter trying to find the truth about his parents, a very emotional scene for him, to seeing him chasing Gwen down before she leaves to England, with no continuity of the research he just did, as if it never happened. There is a lot of tonal whiplash you will get throughout the film... sad scenes to happy to funny to action to romance in very quick pieces of time. This movie either needed to be expanded, or needed to cut possibly Electro's character. He really ended up having no impact on Peter's story or the Spider-Man universe's story as well... He was there then he was gone... no lessons learned, just a bit of damage done to the city (again). Everyone loves Spider-Man because most can connect with him. He also is known for his witty humor, but in this film he cracks jokes at all the wrong times. Super serious life threatening moments are happening to him or those around him and he will crack a quick smart-ass remark. That's one thing that was awesome about Sam Raimi's trilogy, he focused on Spider-Man and Spidey's point of view of things, and how he would react, rather than how Marc Webb focuses on no point of views, he shows us the movie as if we are bystanders in New York watching this random action. Hans Zimmer, however, is some sort of symphonic God. That man creates more classic scores than one can count. Electro's music is awesome, but it was used the whole time Max was talking, not even as Electro yet, which really distracted us from who he is. Max needed some slow, quiet scenes to connect with the audience because that is the kind of character he is. He was a tender, lonely man who wanted to be seen by the world, and in the trailer they did a fairly well job of showing that, but in the movie... eh. Basically not one line from the trailer is in the movie as well by the way. Overall, it was a very enjoyable entertaining movie, awesome action and effects, an IMAX 3D visual spectacular. The filmmakers just need to slow it down, slow down the process, quit focusing on promoting this movie globally and instead work on the film itself. I love Spider-Man, and this one did pack quite a bit of emotion regardless the tonal whiplash, and I will begin counting down for TASM3 now. 768 DAYS! Expand
  49. May 2, 2014
    Marc Webb manages again, almost ironically, to deliver a nice Spider Man movie to the fans.

As many noted , the movie itself focus on Peter and Gwen's romance and less in the action scenes and villains, but that is why Gwen has a critical point to the plot. Even though it's not 100% loyal to the comics, they're trying to bring the most relevant points to the movies. Andrew Garfield

Andrew Garfield has improved as both Peter Parker and Spider Man, making you laugh with Spidey's sense of humor and charisma, while Peter makes you cry when he struggles to be with Gwen and protect her at the same time.

Some of the stuff showed in the trailer were cut from the movie. The movie could have been bigger and the villains and Spider Man could have showed up more, but the movie is an introduction to something even bigger. Hope the next movie shows a even bigger fight and maybe Spidey can show up in The Avengers 3.
  50. May 3, 2014
    I wasn't fond of the first one but this just really made me happy.

It gave me goosebumps at some moments when Spider-Man is web slinging. He's the only super hero I know of that is a comedian, and there are some good parts in the movie that will make you laugh. The effects were fantastic, and my favourite scenes were the fights.

Overall it was brilliant.
  51. May 3, 2014
    There are some things in it need to be fixed such as the origin of Green Goblin because it felt a little rush as well as the introduction of mechanized Rhino at the end, but it was forgivable.
    The main baddie, Electro is very well done with his origin both being a nobody and a God-like super villain.
    And the amazing complicated relationship of Peter and Gwen is just absolute emotional and relatable.
    And everything about the character of SpiderMan? It is hands down the best SpiderMan ever existed in film history.
  52. May 4, 2014
    Is it Spider-Man 2? Of course not. But it's still a good entry in this new saga of Spider-Man films. And definitely much better than its premiere entry. It certainly fails from similar crutches of Spider-Man 3; far too much of Sony clouding a good story with setups for whatever they think will create more money-making opportunities. But the story-lines presented are much more expanded andIs it Spider-Man 2? Of course not. But it's still a good entry in this new saga of Spider-Man films. And definitely much better than its premiere entry. It certainly fails from similar crutches of Spider-Man 3; far too much of Sony clouding a good story with setups for whatever they think will create more money-making opportunities. But the story-lines presented are much more expanded and given acceptable screen time than the ever-compared Spider-Man 3, and the Spider-Man we see here is a truer comic Spidey than we have yet to experience. The emotion, heart, and cockiness of our costumed Peter is filling the scenes from start to finish.
    There is a lot that's attacked during its 2.5 hour time-span (and occasionally too much for the film to flesh out), but any viewer looking for an enjoyable outing with their web-head will be pleased. It's not going to render any critics astounded, and it's not going to to be the best Marvel-licensed film from the last 5 years, but it will leave an impression on you in more positive ways than it falters.
  53. May 2, 2014
    More or less on par with the first movie. Some things are better, somethings are worse, but on the whole they balance out.

The obvious flaw here is the script. Like many have said, it feels like a collection of scenes haphazardly pieced together. This makes the transition from scene to scene feel unnatural. I was worried that the movie would have villain saturation (like in Spider

I was worried that the movie would have villain saturation (like in Spider Man 3) but no. Electro was the focus. It is obvious that the other villains are simply put in as a teaser to the Sinister Six movie. Fair enough but that makes one wonder why they got top billing in all the ads and posters? Also, Peter's parents feel needless and that story arch takes up far to much screen time.

Now for the positive: I love Garfield as Spider Man/ Parker, he really does fit the role (even if he is a tad too old.) The action scenes are allot of fun and the effects are first rate. Electro is fantastic and Foxx did an amazing job. Rest of the cast also play their roles well.

Overall:
    Spider-Man 2 feels a bit erratic, but still allot of fun to watch. A bit more post production and sterner script approval was clearly needed and I hope they learn from this and not repeat for the next movies.
  54. May 8, 2014
    People have gotten so overly critical about comic book movies lately. They aren't fine art. It's a reason to put guys in funny suits to fight each other while destroying universally recognizable locations. They are inherently stupid. This movie is a little too long and doesn't make perfect sense a lot of the time. But it's decently shot, the effects are good, it's colorful, the actionPeople have gotten so overly critical about comic book movies lately. They aren't fine art. It's a reason to put guys in funny suits to fight each other while destroying universally recognizable locations. They are inherently stupid. This movie is a little too long and doesn't make perfect sense a lot of the time. But it's decently shot, the effects are good, it's colorful, the action is fun, the actors decently portray human beings, and it makes you forget about the real world for a couple of hours. It's not going to win any major awards for deep compelling and well thought out story telling. But then again neither was the source material. It's fun, dumb, summer blockbuster, pop corn stuff and there is nothing wrong it. Expand
  55. May 2, 2014
    Awesome special effects and good entertainment, but the script could be less confusing ! I loved the parts of Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone, but the villains could be developed much better !
  56. May 6, 2014
    Well I thought this movie was definitely better than the first one. The characters were better defined, and let's be honest, Andrew Garfield plays a better eccentric Spiderman than Tobey Maguire. The plot seemed to be alright, although it did focus more on the relationship status of the movie. If you have read the comics, you will realize that this movie follows them to a T.
  57. May 3, 2014
    The Amazzing Spider-Man 2 is a movie that we can see the TRUE Spider-Man and the TRUE Peter Parker in a way we never seen before. Andrew Garfield is the persona of the character, Emma Stone is lovely like always and Dane DeHaan portrayed a Harry Osborn carismatic and lunatic at the same time. Terric!
  58. May 2, 2014
    Although it feels like a movie long teaser trailer for the next movie ( Sinister Six ? ) it's still a nice movie... Amazing performances by all the characters and a nice storyline both funny and dramatic... The only thing that bothered me is that the previews and the trailers give you the idea that the movie is going to have three villains and in the end only Electro is the main bad guy....
  59. May 3, 2014
    The Amazing Spiderman 2 is awesome. For the most part. TAS2 is a bigger and bolder Spiderman movie, although I didn't find the vibe and sense in its predecessor, Andrew Garfield reprises his role as Peter Parker, still slinging through the beautifully recreated city of New York, buildings look awesome- and in 3D, even better. But this time, ASM 2 introduces 3 villains- Green Goblin,The Amazing Spiderman 2 is awesome. For the most part. TAS2 is a bigger and bolder Spiderman movie, although I didn't find the vibe and sense in its predecessor, Andrew Garfield reprises his role as Peter Parker, still slinging through the beautifully recreated city of New York, buildings look awesome- and in 3D, even better. But this time, ASM 2 introduces 3 villains- Green Goblin, Electro and Rhino. All of those which are being played by Dane DeHaan, Jamie Foxx and Paul Gimmati. The film does a good job of representing Spiderman and his origin. But, it can be a long movie. ASM 2 is really slow, and it never expands on who Richard Parker or any origin of any villain is. If you want an Electro origin story- imagine Jamie Foxx screaming in a pool full of eels. Dane DeHaan is Harry Osborn aka The Green Goblin, his acting was top notch but still not better than the James Franco in Spiderman 2. Paul Gimmati gives the best acting from the bunch, Rhino is looking better than ever, but the movie never explores on his story, instead it gives you some unnecessary tear jerks. Well, this is not what I expected, watching all of the series, I think Sam Raimi had more to accomplish than Director Marc Webb. But remaking a series is hard, and Webb gave it his best. However, if you want to watch a colourful, energetic and well shot Spiderman movie- than go for it. If not, it's better to buy this one on BluRay. ASM is bigger and bolder but not better. Expand
  60. May 3, 2014
    Considerando que o ultimo filme não me agradou , fui para ver este com a quase certeza de decepção certa, mas tomei um violento tapa do diretor Marc Webb, pois o filme é muito bom com uma reviravolta tonal e do enredo muito interessante ,seus unicos erros são a colocação do romance entre peter e gwen em momentos inoportunos e o roteiro que as vezes é um pouco preguiçoso.
  61. May 5, 2014
    This movie is amazing! The standard was raised with how amazing the new captain America was but this is film is very close in quality. The film is fun yet sad, just as spiderman films should be. Electro is a great villain and the acting was amazing but nearly all involved! Dane Dehann was a great Harry Osborn! The film ends with many questions left to be answered and a lot of peopleThis movie is amazing! The standard was raised with how amazing the new captain America was but this is film is very close in quality. The film is fun yet sad, just as spiderman films should be. Electro is a great villain and the acting was amazing but nearly all involved! Dane Dehann was a great Harry Osborn! The film ends with many questions left to be answered and a lot of people didn't like that but I find myself just that much more excited for the third film! Go see it!!!! ps. Critics are bad at their job Expand
  62. May 4, 2014
    Loved the movie. Kinda happy for the whole reboot to be more a lil' close to the comic book. I do love Tobey's Spider-Man(s) but the reboot is amazing as well. Acting is great as well. A must see for all (family, kids, comic book readers, Marvel fans).
  63. May 2, 2014
    The movie is really good, the visual effects are amazing and the plot was good, but Electro had a terrible motivation to be a villain and the best villain of the movie(Green Goblin) had a short screen time.
  64. May 2, 2014
    Swinging with high voltage visual effects and fantastic soundtracks, The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Rise of Electro perches above its peers. In a more video game or comic inspired illustration, the overall colorful tone works wonderfully, especially in larger scales fights such as in Times Square, it's baffling not many movies do battles in the famous location. Its multitude of talents does aSwinging with high voltage visual effects and fantastic soundtracks, The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Rise of Electro perches above its peers. In a more video game or comic inspired illustration, the overall colorful tone works wonderfully, especially in larger scales fights such as in Times Square, it's baffling not many movies do battles in the famous location. Its multitude of talents does a great job in bringing the characters to life; chemistry between them is definitely present. Regardless of some flaws, narrative might get crowded sewing numerous plots and villains, the movie will most likely satisfy fans and casual viewers alike.

The story tells origins of Electro and Green Goblin, played by Jamie Foxx and Dane DeHaan respectively, both of which have awkward relationship with the titular hero. Their stories are a bit foreshadowing, even more so to those who have knowledge of the comic or seen the previous trilogy and this might just be too predictable for some. Nevertheless the movie does a decent job on modernizing the villains and keeping them grounded without being too comical, it's a good choice not to put Electro in green yellow spandex. Jamie Foxx certainly has charisma for the main villain, although the fanatic aspect of the character in early parts is odd. It's a bit silly and too old-fashioned for an origin tale, he then becomes more appropriately menacing later on, partly due the blue CG face.

Dane DeHaan is a suitable cast for Harry Osborn, I daresay even better than James Franco who previously donned the green cape. He's an eerie reminiscence of young Leonardo DiCaprio, even with similar hairdo. He takes the role of Harry into a darker more obsessed persona, one with volatile and conniving nature. Most of the movie is oriented in Peter Parker (Andrew Garfield) and Gwen Stacy (Emma Stone) as they struggle with emotion and passion. Both of them showcase personal touches; it's apparent that Garfield admirably tries to fill the protagonist role. Spider-Man is a closer more relatable superhero as he endures doubt, guilt, and even the things ordinary folks go through daily, Garfield plays to this strength pretty well. Props to Sally Field and Chris Cooper as parental figures, each the polar opposite of the other, complementing the hero and villain, respectively.

Graphic differs from the usual gritty mainstream superhero flicks, New York is displayed in all its vibrant wonder. At first, it seems a tad close to video game, but I fancy the distinct feel. When the movie talks about hope aplenty, it helps to view the world in radiance. Action is great, often taking camera angles close to Spider-Man, slowing down just barely at the moment of impact. The use of audio matches pretty well, Hans Zimmer is a master in this regard. Many techno dubstep tracks focused on Electro blazing in the background and electrically pumping adrenaline, it may appear ludicrous at first, but it fits the movie brilliantly. Pop and rock songs litter the movie, played just in the right time. The production value is aggressive and undeniably entertaining.

The story sadly may stutter throughout the movie, there are just too many angles to show. From the romance between the two, origins of villains, the lingering past, the pace sometimes take too long on certain element and not enough on some. Not to mention the transition can be cumbersome, it doesn't help that the usual coincidence and practical cliché plots still persist. The flaws are there, yet its entire cast and production value overshadow them. Its simple premise of one overcoming their crisis is emotionally captivating, effectively presented and thoroughly entertaining.
  65. May 2, 2014
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2 takes necessary risks to keep the franchise fresh. But pacing issues and thinly written villains hold it back from being truly "amazing'.
  66. May 2, 2014
    This is the movie that Spider-Man deserves. It is, indeed, amazing; Marc Webb and his team succeeded in this film, where all others have failed in adapting the story of Spidey: breathtaking scenes in the right sequence, which in my view, were perfectly adequate and framed; concise and convincing performances of the actors; heartbreaking scenes balanced with signature jokes of ourThis is the movie that Spider-Man deserves. It is, indeed, amazing; Marc Webb and his team succeeded in this film, where all others have failed in adapting the story of Spidey: breathtaking scenes in the right sequence, which in my view, were perfectly adequate and framed; concise and convincing performances of the actors; heartbreaking scenes balanced with signature jokes of our neighborhood friend. Lastly, after all the events, the tender feeling of slowly leave the cine wondering when the next movie of the franchise will be released. Expand
  67. May 3, 2014
    Good stuff! I enjoyed it. Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone have really solid chemistry that Mark Webb uses his background in indies to extract quite well. The plot could have been tightened up a bit, but overall it was a solid time at the movies.
  68. May 2, 2014
    Fantastic. Garfield ans Stone did an amazing job developing their relationship and the combat could be the best comic book fight on the big screen of all time.
  69. May 2, 2014
    Two years ago, happy with the result of the first chapter of the reboot of Spider -Man , I hoped in a later chapter it reached , at least in part , the maturity of the second chapter of the first trilogy directed by Sam Raimi .
    Over the years , however, things are a little ' changed. I saw "The Amazing Spider-Man" a couple of times , and I noticed several flaws that I could not swallow. It will probably be more faithful to the comic ( I have not read it ), but from the point of view of the film has not convinced me as the first two Raimi's Spider-Man . This is not to say that I liked it, in fact I found it a decent movie , but I had to scale the high expectations I had for "The Amazing Spider- Man 2 ."
    As expected , in fact, this new installment in the reboot of Spider-Man does not reach even the slightest maturity of Spider- Man 2, but decided to put everything on pure entertainment from cinecomic . For this reason it stands out from the multitude of Marvel movies released in recent years . It is a cinecomic standard , which is fun and entertains great, but that does not offer anything more . The script is , in fact , one of the biggest shortcomings of the film, especially with regard to the characterization of the two villain , a bit ' too confusing and , especially , very forced . With the love story between Peter and Gwen have done a better job, but they wanted to dedicate a space far too invasive , making it seem almost out of place the two villains . At the same time , however, they have improved a lot the quality of the special effects , the costumes of Spider -Man and the two villains (aside from Rhino ) , and consequently also the visual impact , which , especially in the action scenes , it is very more intense than the first. This , thanks to the obvious improvements made ​​by director Marc Webb. Fabulous sequence in Times Square and the epic final battle between Spider-Man and Electro . I do not want spoilers, but I tell you that only the last half hour and captures the very essence that this film had to have .
    I admit I found it a bit ' more chaotic than the first, but the final half hour , and the strong visual impact have made "The Amazing Spiderman 2 ," a film worthy of its predecessor, and sometimes even better
  70. May 2, 2014
    Overall, I really enjoyed this movie. I was skeptical at first because of the way they advertised this movie soooooo much. Literally to the point that there was a new trailer coming out every week. But, with that being said this movie is as accurate to the spider man comics as you are going to get. Andrew Garfield plays a great Peter Parker and an even better comical wisecracking spidey.Overall, I really enjoyed this movie. I was skeptical at first because of the way they advertised this movie soooooo much. Literally to the point that there was a new trailer coming out every week. But, with that being said this movie is as accurate to the spider man comics as you are going to get. Andrew Garfield plays a great Peter Parker and an even better comical wisecracking spidey. Emma Stone is great as always (their chemistry is the highlight of the film again). Jamie Foxx was mehh as Electro, I felt as if they brought him on for the CGI spectacle which works in this film. Other than that his character is poorly written. Paul Giamatti was a very over the top Rhino. I felt him and Foxx got the shaft on the writing and these two villains were the only downside of this film. Dane Dehaan on the other hand shines as Parker's best friend Harry Osborn. He gives you a sense of whats to come but he plays Osborn in a unique way James Franco never could. Green Goblin was the only villain done justice in this movie. But, for the most part, the cast is outstanding and the visuals are second to none. Probably the only movie I paid the extra cash for 3d. And for all you comic fans out there. You have to appreciate that Marc webb sticks to the source material for the most part and doesn't twist key storylines like Raimi did. Overall 9/10 Expand
  71. May 3, 2014
    Loved this Movie. Spider-Man was fantastically portrait und the Relationship between Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy was wonderful. The Action was outstanding and the Music....just wow.
    I don't quite understand the hate for this Movie. Sure it has some Problems, but which movie doesn't. I'm excited for the 3th Amazing Spider-Man :D
  72. May 5, 2014
    My advice:

My advice:

Don't let the critics scare you away. Chances are you'll find it entertaining, at the very least. A lot of people seem to criticize the romance between Peter and Gwen; however, I feel that it is a major step-up from the original series. Yes, there's a lot of sarcastic and, at times, dry humor, but that's what makes it real -- not to mention more in-tune with the comics. Spider-man is supposed to be somewhat of a jokester, and Andrew Garfield portrays this perfectly. Perhaps they just don't get it. The characters can be related to, the visuals were stunning (given a tad bit overdone), and there was plenty of action to go around. The people giving this movie anything less than a 6 are just Nolanites being overly dramatic. Though, if I did have to nitpick, I'd say a few of the character design choices were pretty bad -- namely Rhino and Green Goblin. Especially Rhino. Additionally, Webb didn't quite capture the essence of Harry and Peter's friendship as well as he could have, as it definitely felt forced.
  73. May 3, 2014
    This movie is awesome, if you are a fan of the comic, you can't miss this one. I feel the critics are out of touch with the fan base for this movie (surprise, surprise). Spider-Man 2 takes some time to build the momentum at the end, but it is to understand why Peter Parker is the why it is, and why his decisions bring heavy consequences. Just like the comic, the movie brings humor,This movie is awesome, if you are a fan of the comic, you can't miss this one. I feel the critics are out of touch with the fan base for this movie (surprise, surprise). Spider-Man 2 takes some time to build the momentum at the end, but it is to understand why Peter Parker is the why it is, and why his decisions bring heavy consequences. Just like the comic, the movie brings humor, emotions, quality action, awesome enemies and also awesome friends. If you like Spider-Man, if you grew up with Spider-Man like I did, this movie is a no brainer.

TL:DR I love it and I would watch it again and again.
  74. May 6, 2014
    A truly amazing spider man movie,the story is away better that first one,and the graphics,wow, it really blow my head and take my breath away,I watch this movie twice and still eager to see more,like someone said,you will laugh and cry ,don't miss this,I sincerely admire SONY to bring this one of the best superhero movie to me.for me ,this series is a great achievement in movieA truly amazing spider man movie,the story is away better that first one,and the graphics,wow, it really blow my head and take my breath away,I watch this movie twice and still eager to see more,like someone said,you will laugh and cry ,don't miss this,I sincerely admire SONY to bring this one of the best superhero movie to me.for me ,this series is a great achievement in movie industry,the spider man is more close to ordinary people's heart,unlike batman and iron man.it's the key why spider man movie is so touching,because we all want to have a hope,and we all want to become other people's hope.besides,Andrew and Emma are play awesome in this film,especially Emma,I have crush on her since EASY A,and this film makes her more charming to me,I can't say enough,after all,it's a must see movie,I highly recommend this. Expand
  75. May 4, 2014
    This film is very flawed. It has many problems, most of which are caused by the rather sloppy first entry into this new Spider-Man franchise. But, it's trying. You can see a lot of effort being made to make this as good of a movie as possible, and that effort did somewhat shine through. It's not perfect, but it's definitely not just "okay." It's far better than that.

First off, it nails

First off, it nails Spide-Man as a character. Andrew Garfield is great as Peter Parker, but he's brilliant as Spider-Man. Gwen Stacy, who is played by Emma Stone, also is pitch perfect once again. James DeHaan is the best Harry Osborne yet, but sadly his story arc is rushed to where it doesn't feel like it fully worked, though I have no qualms with his fantastic performance. Electro, or Max Dillon, is played by Jamie Foxx, who I have to say is on a role lately with his acting roles. However, I can't help but feel he didn't get enough focus in the film due to the filmmakers trying to shove in Harry and even a bit of Rhino.

If I could do this film series my way, I'd have Harry Osborne in the first film interacting with Peter during high school, inferring a long relationship between the two, and have him be shipped off to boarding school at the middle of the movie, until he comes back for the sequel. I'd also make Electro the main villain of the second film with no *SPOILERS* Green Goblin at the end, or Rhino.

The story is better than the first, and by the end, the weighty material feels justified, though it's hard not to think that the film is very bloated, which is why I think some of it should have been put into the third film instead.

Still, this movie is good, and feels like a Spider-Man movie, but it's just not amazing. It has some amazing moments, especially towards the end, which I won't spoil, but other moments just feel dull. Here's hoping for a more sensational sequel.
  76. May 5, 2014
    A film with much feeling, written with wonderful, full of splendor in their actions and motivating romantic scenes. Shocking scenes of action, much guaranteed entertainment, a wonderful and unique experience. The best superhero movies of all time, no doubt it is
  77. May 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was action-packed! The two hours and thirty minutes went by very quickly and there wasn't any part of the movie that I remember where it felt drawn out. The love story was a recurring theme but I never felt like it got in the way of the action and it was very straightforward. No love triangles or any overplayed drama like the previous trilogy. I really liked the cast. This Harry Osborn has more emotion and you can clearly see him go insane little by little until he blossoms into a real villain. James Franco's character never really went 100% villain (and that took three movies), but this new version does become Spiderman's worst nightmare (similar to Harvey Dent in Dark Knight) very quickly. So I can't wait until the last installment of this trilogy where they are probably going to have a full-scale war between Harry Osborn's new crew of villains and Spiderman. Hopefully, with some of the cast dying/leaving, it opens the door for some creative additions to the cast that will play a character on the good side instead of the bad.

Oh, and one of my favorite parts is near the end where the little kid in the Spiderman Halloween costume comes out and tries to take on Rhino. I thought that was a pretty cool scene to sneak in at the end.
  78. May 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Movie was way better than expected, the part of which Gwen dies was horrible yet amazing, it's better than the first movie which is great too, but without doubt its better than the old trilogy, the acting were the best but the movie editing was average. Expand
  79. May 3, 2014
    Que dire de the amazing Spider man 2, simplement qu'il est au dessus du précédent tant au niveau visuelle que au niveau du scénario même si je reproche à ce dernier sa fin, qui n'est autre qu'une fin bâcler pour couvrir la vraie fin qui elle n'est pas une happy end. Je crois que la plus grosse erreur du film et de penser qu'il vont pouvoir nous remplacer Gwen. Ceci passe trés mâl au niveauQue dire de the amazing Spider man 2, simplement qu'il est au dessus du précédent tant au niveau visuelle que au niveau du scénario même si je reproche à ce dernier sa fin, qui n'est autre qu'une fin bâcler pour couvrir la vraie fin qui elle n'est pas une happy end. Je crois que la plus grosse erreur du film et de penser qu'il vont pouvoir nous remplacer Gwen. Ceci passe trés mâl au niveau du public. On ne pourras jamais oublier Gwen sa fait quand même plus de 4h que l'on vit les aventure de spidey avec elle. Vous me direz alors pourquoi!!!!!!! 8 comme score. Tout simplement parceque c'est le meilleur Spider Man qui est était fait, tant par son esthétique que le reste de l'histoire, et oui on est alors bien iloin de la première trilogie et de son pantin de Bouffon vert, très beau ralentit, constrate, film esthétique. Contrairement au premier qui avait trop de ressemblance avec la premiére trilogie ici The Amazing Spider Man prend vraiment son indépendance.
    Sinon pour terminez je vous conseillerez d'aller le voir, très beau spectale.
  80. May 3, 2014
    I really don't understand some critics at times, just like with Man of Steel, I feel the critics went into this movie already prepared to dislike it, this movie does have some problems but most of them stem from personal preference, the tone jumps around a lot, at times it feels really mature and is catering to adults then the next scene something is said or done that makes you feel thatI really don't understand some critics at times, just like with Man of Steel, I feel the critics went into this movie already prepared to dislike it, this movie does have some problems but most of them stem from personal preference, the tone jumps around a lot, at times it feels really mature and is catering to adults then the next scene something is said or done that makes you feel that it's catering to kids, so at times you get the feeling that this movie suffers from an identity crisis, then u throw in the fact that 1 or 2 of the villains in this movie were simply not needed and that the aspirations of this movie were so huge that they kept throwing things into it that weren't needed... I know it sounds like i'm really down on this movie so here's the surprise...

I LOVED THIS MOVIE... Earlier I said it comes down to personal preference, I didn't mind the change in tone from serious adult movie to catering to kids at times and there was some really cheesy dialog but I can forgive that because this movie was just so darn entertaining, I wanna make one thing clear... Andrew Garfield owns this character of Spider-Man/Peter Parker, regardless of if he's in or out of the suit he is the character from how he loves being spidey, his love for Gwen and his fear of losing her, his relationship with aunt May all the way to how he interacts with the villains, sony needs to sign him to more Spider-Man movies beyond the third, Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone's chemistry on screen almost feels unfair to any other pairing it's so perfect...

Like I said earlier this movie has some problems but I overlooked all of them because for me they were small nitpicks that didn't take away from the overall enjoyment of the film, this movie is the definition of a Summer blockbuster, it's got action, mystery, romance and heartbreak, everything I like about these comic movies so for me... and I don't do this much... it's a 10
  81. May 2, 2014
    I just gone done watching the IMAX premiere of "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" and it was SUPERB. I won't put any spoilers in here but it is def the best Spider-Man movie to date. Marc Webb is really coming along in his directing of Spider-Man and did an Amazing job with casting especially casting Dane DeHaan as Harry Osborn or AKA "The Green Goblin" which btw is my favorite villain of allI just gone done watching the IMAX premiere of "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" and it was SUPERB. I won't put any spoilers in here but it is def the best Spider-Man movie to date. Marc Webb is really coming along in his directing of Spider-Man and did an Amazing job with casting especially casting Dane DeHaan as Harry Osborn or AKA "The Green Goblin" which btw is my favorite villain of all time. Anyways the acting was excellent as well as the story if you pay attention there are a ton of references to a ton of stuff in the universe. The action was top-notch in every way possible it blew the 1st film out of the water in that respect and I can't wait for the next film. In my opinion as an avid Spider-Man fan and not being biased being that Spider-Man is my favorite superhero it is a must see movie hands down!!!!! Expand
  82. May 3, 2014
    That movie was the best spiderman that was made to date. The score was really good we had people singing in the theater. The characters we had people getting emotional as well. The cheesy lines Spidey says is how it's supposed to be have you ever watched the cartoon series? Also the same with the new York people its supposed to be comical its coming from a comic book lol. I'm sorry notThat movie was the best spiderman that was made to date. The score was really good we had people singing in the theater. The characters we had people getting emotional as well. The cheesy lines Spidey says is how it's supposed to be have you ever watched the cartoon series? Also the same with the new York people its supposed to be comical its coming from a comic book lol. I'm sorry not every comic book movie needs to be dark and like the dark knight. I enjoyed the movie very much the people I was with enjoyed it. The people in the theater as well. Now I will agree ryno was ridiculous and needs to go. The build up to green goblin was not very well put that's why this movie was a 8.5/10 for me. Expand
  83. May 3, 2014
    The amazing spider man 2 is quite possibly the best super hero movie I have ever watched, and is without question the best spiderman film to date. Excellent movie, the characters, plot, direction, soundtrack, and acting were all fantastic, all I could think of after watching the movie was going to see it again.
  84. May 4, 2014
    The Amazing Spide rman a mixture of action,good acting and goofiness...I was surprised of how good this movie ended up being.I'm a huge Spider man fan...this movie was the best one in my opinion...everything that you would like in a spider man movie....amazing!
  85. May 3, 2014
    The fact that this film currently has a mixed score is absurd, this is easily the best Spider-Man film to date, and one of the best superhero films ever made. I suspect much of the negativity stems from the bitterness many people have regarding Spidey not being part of the Marvel cinematic universe. But make no mistake about it, this film is far better than most Marvel movies - only theThe fact that this film currently has a mixed score is absurd, this is easily the best Spider-Man film to date, and one of the best superhero films ever made. I suspect much of the negativity stems from the bitterness many people have regarding Spidey not being part of the Marvel cinematic universe. But make no mistake about it, this film is far better than most Marvel movies - only the recent Captain America film can come close to it. It also proves that there is so much to the world of Spider-Man, that there's no need for crossovers or additional superheroes. This film is powerful, emotional, gripping, intense, and tragic. The acting is incredible and the special effects are stunning. The movie is long, but contrary to some other reviews, it never drags. The soundtrack is brilliantly done. The overall theme and message is one that we all need to be reminded of. Go see it, you won't be disappointed. Expand
  86. May 3, 2014
    Andrew Garfield is amazing as spider-man, I like a lot his performance; The special effects are amazing, the soundtrack is great, and the action scenes couldn't be better. The movie is not perfect, but it is good at all, and it exceeded my expectations...
  87. May 2, 2014
    watched the movie yesterday and I can say it is the best movie of Spider-Man. They made it as good old joker ever without exaggerating, and the script is very good! (some spoke of both the script and gave little note) For me ta fantastic script. And the action scenes do not need to say that neither are spectacular, well-designed and well fitted in every movie. Has enough drama also forwatched the movie yesterday and I can say it is the best movie of Spider-Man. They made it as good old joker ever without exaggerating, and the script is very good! (some spoke of both the script and gave little note) For me ta fantastic script. And the action scenes do not need to say that neither are spectacular, well-designed and well fitted in every movie. Has enough drama also for Gwen and Peter, is not very dramatic one without molasses, very daora! The strong point of the film for me was to report straight like to be Spider-Man, the Daily problems he has in the city and how it relates it with family and himself! Expand
  88. May 2, 2014
    So, I saw this movie last night. It was fantastic. I don't understand these negative reviews, they are completely idiotic in my opinion. The movie has awesome acting/characters/story-telling/action/etc. I absolutely loved this movie. Must see. Truly amazing in my opinion. Spiderman has never been better!
  89. May 2, 2014
    This movie is what any comic aficionado of the web slinger has been waiting for a long time. Visually astonishing, emotional and exciting. The world building will keep them high on their seat when realizing the possibilities in which this franchise can go. I have to applaud the film score of this movie that is of extreme high quality, memorable.
  90. May 2, 2014
    This movie was amazing. The pace was really good and the villains were freaking awesome. Also Andrew Garfield perfectly fits the role as spiderman and I think he is better than Toby Maguire spiderman
  91. May 3, 2014
    This movie was seriously AMAZING!!! The story line is great, the visual effects are very impressive, and the music is top notch. Very funny, dramatic, and at some moments, a little scary... :)
  92. May 5, 2014
    Excellent performances from Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, and Dane DeHaan; with Sally Field and Jamie Foxx adding solid performances to what was an emotionally gripping film full of amazing action. As a lifelong Spidey fan and avid comic reader, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time and left feeling both completely satisfied with Amazing Spider-Man 2 and anxiously anticipating theExcellent performances from Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, and Dane DeHaan; with Sally Field and Jamie Foxx adding solid performances to what was an emotionally gripping film full of amazing action. As a lifelong Spidey fan and avid comic reader, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time and left feeling both completely satisfied with Amazing Spider-Man 2 and anxiously anticipating the future of this franchise. For a true comic book fan, this is the best live action iteration of Spider-Man yet! Expand
  93. May 6, 2014
    Trust the user reviews, the critics are wrong!! Anyway.. TASM2 is epic. Avengers kinda of epic. (well almost!)
    Well for a single super hero anyway! Electro steals the show for me in this and Garfield and Stone chemistry is again very believable. Though it's well over 2 hours long, it passes quick, everything about it was fun and effortless especially the Spider-man action scenes and they are comic book frame perfection.. I webbed myself.
  94. May 4, 2014
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is quite possibly the best spider-man film there is. It has what Sam Raimi's spider-man trilogy lacked; comic book relevance. This movie rips straight from the ultimate spider-man comics instead of trying to create new stories and mess with them. Critics right now are being too harsh, this was a genuinely great superhero action film. It had an interesting storyThe Amazing Spider-Man 2 is quite possibly the best spider-man film there is. It has what Sam Raimi's spider-man trilogy lacked; comic book relevance. This movie rips straight from the ultimate spider-man comics instead of trying to create new stories and mess with them. Critics right now are being too harsh, this was a genuinely great superhero action film. It had an interesting story what with Harry Osborn and Max Dillon going through the unfortunate events that they do, long with the will they won't they relationship between Peter & Gwen. First of all, Andrew Garfield is PERFECT as Spider-Man/Peter Parker. While Tobey Maguire did fulfill the nerdy part of Parker, he seemed more likely to be killing people than saving them. Garfield brings everything that Spider-Man is to the big screen, funny, heroic and serious all when necessary. Emma Stone didn't have as much to do in this film as she did in the last one, as the movie mainly focuses on Peter's struggles in his current life. The chemistry between Garfield & Stone is what really makes them a believable couple in this film (Maybe because they are in real life?) Jamie Foxx was fantastic as Electro, a sympathetic nerdy fan of Spider-Man's who goes against the wallcrawler due to his shocking transformation. In the beginning you feel bad for him but as the movie goes along you realise what Peter's effect on him is. Believing that Spider-Man needs him only to find out he says he needs ll the people of New York, really breaks him as he is a character who is socially awkward and has never really had any friends, along with never getting any credit for the work he does. So he unleashes his rage against Spider-Man along with the Green Goblin. Now, it's no secret Harry Osborn becomes the Green Goblin as the trailers do show you quick looks at him, but it feels like Harry Osborn is in the movie longer than the Green Goblin is. Don't get me wrong, Dane DeHaan was amazing in this film, leaps and bounds better than James Franco was. But he is the Green Goblin, so theres a feeling that he could have been in the film as the goblin longer but was cut down to maybe a total of 20 minutes. Although all the trailers show Paul Giamatti as Rhino and make him out to be the big third villain of the film, he's only in the movie for literally 10 minutes. I wouldn't really count him as a villain under these circumstances. Other characters such as Sally Fields as Aunt May and Chris Cooper as Norman Osborn are good in the scenes they're in, it's just that they don't really have as much of an impact as the main characters do. Overall, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is the greatest Spider-Man film to exist though it does seem like it's trying too hard to establish a larger universe. Expand
  95. May 4, 2014
    Definitely a worthy and entertaining sequel to the first "Amazing Spiderman" film. Like its predecessor, this one sticks remarkably close to the comics and certainly brings back a few nostalgic (and tragic) moments. The action and effects were great, if not, a little excessive at times. Andrew Garfield once again fulfills his role nicely, as does Emma Stone. Jamie Fox pulls of a decentDefinitely a worthy and entertaining sequel to the first "Amazing Spiderman" film. Like its predecessor, this one sticks remarkably close to the comics and certainly brings back a few nostalgic (and tragic) moments. The action and effects were great, if not, a little excessive at times. Andrew Garfield once again fulfills his role nicely, as does Emma Stone. Jamie Fox pulls of a decent performance as Electro, and Dane DeHaan makes for quite an impressive and sinister Harry Osborne. Overall, with the great effects, performances, and story that's remarkably loyal to the comics, this makes for one of the best and most fun Spiderman entries so far! Expand
  96. May 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. [This review contains spoilers, so unless you've already seen the movie or just don't care, tread with caution.]

Usually I'm able to write up reviews immediately after I see a movie, but this time I had to sleep it off. As I was walking out of the theater, I had nothing but good things to say about the movie due to how fast the 2 and a half hours went by, along with other great things that will definitely be mentioned in this review... But for hours, I found myself thinking: "How did this movie get such low scores?" and as I woke up this morning, it hit me. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 may not be a bad movie, but it does throw a lot at the viewer from many different directions, which is definitely this movie's downfall. There's actually so much going on in this movie that I'm surprised Peter Parker having some kind of a mental breakdown wasn't scripted.

Starting with what makes this film a mess as opposed to what makes it shine; the first of many things that this movie throws at its audience is the absence of Peter's father, which is actually how the movie opens up. I suppose this could have been seen as necessary to the plot for the sake of Peter's back-story, but as the film moves on you'll realize that it's just one more thing that this movie has to juggle. Following that is the incredibly predictable, and not enjoyable at all thanks to the trailers that spoil it, chemistry between Gwen Stacey and Peter. This goes on throughout the entire movie in a pretty steady flow full of hardcore feels that build up to the big moment, but wait, there's more.

In addition to Peter's past and love life is the uprising of Maxwell Dillon, aka Electro, who's character build is actually pulled off pretty well. It's a shame that it nearly gets drowned out by everything else going on, including the relationship between Peter and Harry Osborn. Despite being in the film consistently from the first 30 minutes or so, Harry doesn't even make his transition into the Green Goblin until the film's final moments. Confused yet? Because there's even more.

At the very end of the movie after Peter takes a 5-month hiatus, thanks to what should have been the big finale, The Sinister Six goes into development starting with Rhino terrorizing the streets of New York. First of all, how did it take 5 whole months for any serious crimes that require Spider-Man's assistance to occur? Second, why would they close out the movie with a member of the Sinister Six fighting Spider-Man before the release of The Sinister Six movie, which Spider-Man is to have no involvement in? And finally, what in the world were they thinking when they put the final clip of the movie in the trailers? The whole time I was sitting around, I kept hearing "But wait, where's Rhino?", and if you take the clip of them in the trailers, then add credits after Spidey is about to hit him, you've got the end. Pretty lame.

However, there are actually a few sources of light in this long, dark, 2 and a half hour tunnel. What The Amazing Spider-Man 2 overloads us with is made up for with an amazing use of visual effects. Nothing looks like it's computer generated, the CGI interactions between actors is spot on, and best of all, the film opens up with scenes filmed in my home town; Rochester, NY. I actually even shouted "It's Rochester!" a couple times, but people didn't really like that too much.

The film's also pretty smart with its use of music, as opposed to simply blaring an original score whenever something gets even remotely serious. My personal favorites both involve Max, though. The first is when he becomes Electro, and an electronic song is used to portray the thoughts in his head while kicking off an interesting fight between he and Spidey. Another was towards the end of the movie and involved Electro toying with Spider-Man and playing "The Itsy-Bitsy Spider" through poles of energy. Really smart play there.

There was also a good amount of strategic foreshadowing that required knowledge of the Spider-Man universe and didn't feel like a huge addition to the already cluttered story-line. A woman named Felicia was introduced soon after Harry Osborn was, and despite not hearing her last name, I'm sure it's Hardy. Felicia Hardy is Black Cat in the Spider-Man universe, and serves as an anti-hero who I'd love to see in future films. There was also a lot to see on the holo-graphic images presented in Oscorp, but unless you have the ability to pause it, you won't get much. I also like how Doctor Octopus and Kraven were hinted at.

Overall, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is exactly what I said it was in the beginning; not a bad movie, but it does throw a lot at the viewer from many different directions, which is definitely this movie's downfall. I sincerely hope that the next couple films in the franchise aren't this cluttered, and the Sinister Six movie doesn't flop as hard as I think it will with so many stories to tell in such a short amount of time.
  97. May 4, 2014
    Maybe I should stop reviewing comic book superhero flix, because I've lost all patience with the genre. The predictable stories, ho-hum opponents and noisy action all play out in this sequel. Luckily, Andrew Garfield (in the title role) has loads of charisma and charm that makes watching him enjoyable. Toss in his chemistry with Emma Stone and you have a bearable love interest. Other thanMaybe I should stop reviewing comic book superhero flix, because I've lost all patience with the genre. The predictable stories, ho-hum opponents and noisy action all play out in this sequel. Luckily, Andrew Garfield (in the title role) has loads of charisma and charm that makes watching him enjoyable. Toss in his chemistry with Emma Stone and you have a bearable love interest. Other than that, there's nothing new or special. Another downside of these films is the unnecessary length (1:42 in this case) that includes too much unnecessary drama and villainous posturing. I was never bored, but just tired of the uninspired formula. Expand
  98. May 11, 2014
    Unfortunate failure. Some mediocre action, costume designs that reflect a lack of artistic ability(Floppy rhino-head especially) poor acting, and rehashed plots; this seems like a ridiculous mish-mash of the first two Spiderman movies without any of the good aspects.

Feel free to watch it; it has a few fun action scenes, and some decent music. Just don't expect a coherent plot or good acting.
  99. May 10, 2014
    While the goblin fight felt a bit rushed that did not make me not love this awesome superhero movie.Ton notch storyline, great performances from the actors and the special effects were incredible.You will definitely walk out of this movie satisfied
  100. May 19, 2014
    A borderline disaster. Perhaps sufficiently bad enough to kill this incarnation of the Spider-Man series. Dialogue is clunky and the tone of the movie is all over the map. At one point, as Peter and Gwen are in a broom closet at Oscorp hiding out from some nasty security men, they rekindle a discussion of whether she should go to her Oxford study program in England or not. Times Square isA borderline disaster. Perhaps sufficiently bad enough to kill this incarnation of the Spider-Man series. Dialogue is clunky and the tone of the movie is all over the map. At one point, as Peter and Gwen are in a broom closet at Oscorp hiding out from some nasty security men, they rekindle a discussion of whether she should go to her Oxford study program in England or not. Times Square is laid to waste (again) by Electro and the mass destruction of a New York landmark seems to get lost later in the on-going debate about leaving for Oxford or not.

The musical score is poor and often doesn't support the drama depicted. Dan DeHaan is an exciting young actor but his Harry Osborn seems a tad over-the-top at times. Finally, this smarmy Peter Parker/Spider-Man edition portrayed by Andrew Garfield is, after two films, actually pretty annoying. Sony must feel pretty frustrated with its corner of the Marvel universe. I wonder when the next impatient Spider-Man "reboot" will be green-lit. This edition offers nothing that we didn't see and (dare I say) didn't enjoy better with the first two Raimi films.

Bloated and often boring and has absolutely no reason to exist, but that it also hits its marks. No fanboy will pass it up. No studio head will lose his or her job.
  2. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    May 1, 2014
    The movie feels not only calculated but tired.
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Mohan
    May 1, 2014
    ASM 2 makes too many of the same mistakes that have brought other superhero movies low (including Sam Raimi's "Spider-Man 3"). It tries to pack in too many characters and plot lines, for one.