6.8

1. May 2, 2014
    Ludicrous plotting doesn't spoil an otherwise entertaining Marvel adventure,although it isn't as good as the first instalment. This sequel benefits from the continuance of gifted actor Andrew Garfield as the titular character. His ability is almost wasted in such a generic movie. In the past he has demonstrated superlative talent in such powerful dramas as 'Boy A' and 'Red Riding' and oneLudicrous plotting doesn't spoil an otherwise entertaining Marvel adventure,although it isn't as good as the first instalment. This sequel benefits from the continuance of gifted actor Andrew Garfield as the titular character. His ability is almost wasted in such a generic movie. In the past he has demonstrated superlative talent in such powerful dramas as 'Boy A' and 'Red Riding' and one can only hope that he returns to more substantial roles soon.
    What we have here is a known entity which will delight its fan base. A slick package with all the usual components fabulously integrated including out standing visual effects,sharp editing and eye catching cinematography. The film is never dull or boring, although it is slightly drawn out, and the romantic interludes are predictably sweet, if forgettable. It's all very undemanding stuff and the over sensitive may even shed a tear or two. A surprise sequence near the end of the film, involving Emma Stone, is a knockout of a scene.
  2. May 9, 2014
    Inconsistent, bland and tries to be more genres than it should. Electro looks like a 'WWE2K14' Create-A-Wrestler and Peter cries about every little thing.
  3. May 7, 2014
    I and alot of my friends who have seen this movie have all come to the same conclusion: While it wasn't as bad as we thought it was going to be, based on the reviews, it still wasn't all that great as everything in the movie felt rushed with all the bad guys they were throwing at you the entire time. There's alot going on in this but it was kinda boring at times as well. It's clear theyI and alot of my friends who have seen this movie have all come to the same conclusion: While it wasn't as bad as we thought it was going to be, based on the reviews, it still wasn't all that great as everything in the movie felt rushed with all the bad guys they were throwing at you the entire time. There's alot going on in this but it was kinda boring at times as well. It's clear they are going to play up the Sinister Six angle in future movies, and that might be fun to see, but if they go about their business the same way as in this one, it definitely won't be very remembered in the future. I think Andrew Garfield is a better Peter Parker than a Spiderman. The man certainly knows how to cry on screen. He and Emma Stone really mesh together very well and I'm glad they took Mary Jane out of this one at the last second because the focus of the movie was on these two and not a third wheel. The fights were pretty good, with the slow-mo effects being hit or miss. But this movie just doesn't hit the mark like some of the recent Superhero movies have, like Cap 2 or Thor 2 or even the Avengers to a lesser extent. I hope they go back to the drawing board a little bit here for the third one and don't try to just stuff as many things as possible into a 2 hour movie like they did here. It's honestly quite Amazing they got all of this to work as well as they did here. But I'll say it's not as terribly bad as alot of people are suggesting. It's just mildly bad. Expand
  4. May 26, 2014
    Garfield/Webb is quickly becoming to Spider-Man what Clooney/Schumacher was to the Batman franchise. I'm surprised the Transformers didn't make an appearance.
  5. Aug 23, 2014
    Typical movie from american production, action scenes are great but everything that happens between them are just cringy "emotional" moments full of clichés.
  6. May 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My latest cinema-going of a 3D spectacle of the second chapter of the Amazing Spider-Man, whereas its first instalment THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (2012, 6/10), a reboot of Sam Raimi’s sensational SPIDER-MAN trilogy, is a hit-or-miss in general, but the Garfield and Stone pair does stand out with their affable affinity and spontaneous chemistry, so when it is time for Stone’s Gwen Stacy to take a bow and exit the franchise, as fans know it from the start, her fate is presaged by the comic books,

read rest of the review on my blog, google cinema omnivore.
  7. May 8, 2014
    The visual FX are outstanding, and the action sequences are well executed, the problem with this film is the lack of focus the script has.
    Not only is filled with a ridiculous and unnecessary love subplot , the villans are weak, there is only one villan in this movie: Electro and doesn´t manage to pull off his role well, his only the bad guy because the movie needs one, there's no relation between hero and villan at all unlike The first Amazing spiderman with the rivalry between Spidey/Lizard.
    And then are the other 2 villans, the Green Gobling shows out of nowhere and their fight doesn't last for a minute, and Rhyno shows up at the last 45 seconds of the movie to end it with a shot of Spidey and him clashing in a fight it's a teaser to the next movie in fact The Amazing Spiderman 2 is a teaser for the next installment it's a good distraction but not a memorable one.
  8. Dec 20, 2014
    I really loved the first of " The Amazing Spider Man," series. I can`t say the same for this one. I was really let down. It was a roller coaster ride for me. I liked watching the character Electro, but it got a bit carried away in Spider Mans love life.Don`t get me wrong they had good chemistry, but I wanted to watch a super her movie, not a romance/drama flick. Instead of watching theI really loved the first of " The Amazing Spider Man," series. I can`t say the same for this one. I was really let down. It was a roller coaster ride for me. I liked watching the character Electro, but it got a bit carried away in Spider Mans love life.Don`t get me wrong they had good chemistry, but I wanted to watch a super her movie, not a romance/drama flick. Instead of watching the "Amazing Spider Man," I felt like I was watching a movie about Peter Parkers relationships. Expand
  9. Aug 31, 2014
    The second movie in the new Spider-man movie series that directed by Marc Webb. I doubt his potential after seeing this movie. I feel someone should take his position before it become too late. In the history of the Spider-man movies, from all the 6 this one is the worst. Commercially it has done a great business that grabbed around $800 million all over the world, but failed to deliverThe second movie in the new Spider-man movie series that directed by Marc Webb. I doubt his potential after seeing this movie. I feel someone should take his position before it become too late. In the history of the Spider-man movies, from all the 6 this one is the worst. Commercially it has done a great business that grabbed around $800 million all over the world, but failed to deliver another quality movie for the fans. The movie engaged with the too much character and subplots. The subplots were not placed in the right spots, kind of random appearance brings the chaos in understanding the story. I had a high hope on this movie and it did not supply well. Frankly, I kind of lost interest in Spider-man. Maybe because it was too soon to reboot, I guess.

‘‘You want to be the hero.
    And now you gotta pay the price.’’

The first movie gave a decent re-start for the refreshed Spider-man movie series. And what happened here in this second installment was a disaster. The first thing is it was nearly a 2 and half an hour movie that brought me lightly a headache to carry on thus far. Actually, it was 10 minutes shorter than what it is now, but in the end they have developed a bit longer to show the opening scene of the third movie. When a movie got a powerful hero, it should have equally matched antagonist. If they are matched, then the fight between them are the next thing to bring the best out of it. I think the Electro man did not click as they have expected, at least not to me. The strength he had was something beyond spider-man, but did not unleash him in a perfect manner. Though Jamie Foxx was not bad in that avatar, the filmmakers kind of wasted his presence for not so good scenes.

Remember the original Spider-man was the modern superhero movies, I mean it was done using computer graphics. Afterwards 'Batman', 'Iron Man', 'Thor' and all were followed. I like the version with Tobey Maguire in it, though my rating declined by movie after another in the trilogy. This reboot series had a good opening, but failed to get the momentum going. Especially all the emotions were looked fakes that do not appeal like the original movie series did. Yes, it had a wonderful box office and that does not mean the movie is good, either worst. But expected a little better, especially in the negative characters. Andrew Garfield was good, not awesome, because most of his masked parts were CGI. Emma stone was another let down and could not help comparing her with Kristen Dunst, because she was no way near, at all. The Dane DeHaan role had the same issue and I don't know why people did not get better space in the movie that ran 140 minutes long. Like I said subplot spoiled everything I think. The digital 3D and stunts were poor. Yeah, there are many things to complain about it than to praise, but all the answer should come in the next sequel. If that makes bigger, not commercially, I mean with a good story, graphics and performances then there will be no problem. But if it fails, I had to say 'bring back the fourth installment of the original movie series'. Definitely not worth a watch, but anyway most of the guys going to watch it or already watched it.
  10. May 7, 2014
    The story of this film is all over the place. It basically focuses on setting up these two villains, just so spider-man can have a big nutty fight at the end, with nothing in between to keep us interested. It still feels cluttered due to this boring romantic subplot with Peter Parker and Gwen Stacey, which overstayed it's welcome in the first movie and gets old fast in this one too. ThereThe story of this film is all over the place. It basically focuses on setting up these two villains, just so spider-man can have a big nutty fight at the end, with nothing in between to keep us interested. It still feels cluttered due to this boring romantic subplot with Peter Parker and Gwen Stacey, which overstayed it's welcome in the first movie and gets old fast in this one too. There is one moment which I thought was done very well, though.

The CGI is generally very good and the cast does it's job, but in my opinion its too long and uninteresting for it to be a good superhero action movie.
  11. Aug 4, 2014
    It was an ok movie but it was too long. Took about an hour before something finally started to happen they could of easily cut 40-50 min or so and it would of been just fine (It last 2h 20min). Acting is good, story was ok and thanks to the ending I now want to know what happens next, like RIGHT NOW.
  12. Aug 17, 2014
    This second installment of the Spiderman reboot is a bit greater than it’s predecessor, but it suffers with the same deficiencies.

Well the CGI is incredible, and the action is okay, but not as great as I would define as awesome. The soundtrack is a bit more epic than it’s predecessor, but I miss a more greater one. The negative aspects are of course the bad ending, the slow amount of action, the weird story and the bad actor Andrew Garfield as Spiderman. I'm actually surprised that this movie isn’t that epic as I would want it to be, because it got two awesome writers: Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, who gave us Star Trek (2009) and other great films.

My conclusion of The Amazing Spiderman 2 is that it’s greater than the first movie, but it still suffer with bad directing and writing.

The Amazing Spiderman 2 get a 6.7/10
  13. Aug 19, 2014
    The Amazing Spiderman 2 had an impressive opening weekend with a pretty good take at 91.6 million. It was lighter than the 95 million posted by Captain America, The Winter Soldier a few weeks earlier. Honestly, I liked the Cap a little better than this Spiderman movie anyway.

I will avoid any serious spoilers but cannot avoid indicating that there are some major developments in this film. Be careful when reading movie reviews if you haven’t seen it because the potential for spoiler harm in this flick is very high.

Because this is a reboot it is impossible not to make comparisons to the first trilogy starring Toby Maguire as Peter Parker, AKA Spiderman. Andrew Garfield is great behind the mask. But that is really more credit to the screenwriter’s producing superior Spidey wise cracks in the dialog that harken back to the character in the comics. I feel that Garfield’s Peter Parker is a little too cool. In all fairness the Peter Parker character has morphed from the original 1960s shy nerdy high schooler who gains confidence behind the mask into a more socially outgoing college student character that uses his goofy humor to mask his insecurities. So the Garfield interpretation isn’t really “wrong” per say. I just guess I prefer that original geeky wimp persona of the 1960s comics than the later incarnation.

Overall I think Garfield does a better job in front of the camera as Parker and Spidey. This Spiderman movie features multiple bad guys, some with superpowers, some with authoritative power. The movie drags a bit with the complex relationship between Parker/Spidey and Gwen Stacy. I don’t feel like they were able to manage the drama portion of the film that is necessary to tell the back story and romance between Gwen and Spidey. I like Garfield, Sally Field delivers as Aunt May, I rather liked the quasi creepiness of Dane Dehan as Harry Osborn.

It is interesting that the Spiderman back in 2002 did a pretty accurate job of depicting the Green Goblin (Norman Osborn) but failed miserably using Mary Jane Watson instead of Gwen Stacy in the leading lady role. At least this new reboot got the girl right. Gwen Stacy was Parker’s first love. In the comics Mary Jane was Gwen’s friend. None of these movies thus far has really made that connection between the two girls. I really think that Sony’s involvement in the Spiderman franchise is a negative. Stan Lee has less control over the content in the Spiderman movies because of contractual obligations to Sony/Columbia Pictures.

Overall I did enjoy the movie. I felt the plot development was chunky at times but Spidey’s character and solid dialog made up for it. Honestly it may be a little Spiderman fatigue, what with this the 5th movie in 12 years to feature the web slinging super hero. None the less, I think that Marvel fans and non-fans alike got their 12 bucks worth watching this film. It is just that, every time I watch a new Spiderman movie I find myself back to my favorite which is the first one with William Defoe as Norman Osborn/Green Goblin, and J.K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jamieson. Despite the discrepancies to comic book lore that first one remains my personal favorite.

Now that this is a DVD/Bluray rental, definitely see it!
  14. Jul 21, 2014
    the central problem of the film The Amazing Spiderman 2 is that the film can not decide what genre it go blockbuster or drama. And a villians very many.
  15. Nov 10, 2014
    Too much characters and subplots amongst other cons threaten to overwhelm the movie but the entire cast led by the talented Andrew Garfield (and the visual effects team) once again saves the day.
  16. Oct 14, 2014
    It has gone down compared to the previous one. This part is very long and the characters talk too much between them. But The Amazing Spider-Man 2 gives us again a lot of mystery about the disappearance of the parents of Peter Parker, some magnificent performances by Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone with wonderful visual effects and a nice (but not as good as the previous) soundtrack. (61 - 100)
  17. Nov 5, 2014
    bad villans, cartonish, the only reason to watch this movie is to see the top cast and the great special effects, this movie is a new spider man 3 which is not a complement
  18. WJS
    Dec 20, 2014
    This movie is all about the special effects (which are fantastic) even though it tries to be about the interpersonal relationships of the characters. Unfortunately the scenes with the interpersonal dialogue are overwrought and the visual and action sequences are directed with a very heavy hand. The actors are very good and do their best with the dialogue and direction but really, thisThis movie is all about the special effects (which are fantastic) even though it tries to be about the interpersonal relationships of the characters. Unfortunately the scenes with the interpersonal dialogue are overwrought and the visual and action sequences are directed with a very heavy hand. The actors are very good and do their best with the dialogue and direction but really, this movie just doesn't succeed above a Spider Man cartoon or comic book. Expand
  19. Feb 1, 2015
    As a huge Spider-Man fan, I can't say this is a good Spider-Man film. Although I wouldn't call it a bad one either. The plot is just crazy stupid, the humor is so-so, the villains weren't good enough, etc. But the special effects and acting were OK. The biggest problem with this movie is that it tries so hard to be so many things, and unfortunately, ends up not being enough. Bottom line:As a huge Spider-Man fan, I can't say this is a good Spider-Man film. Although I wouldn't call it a bad one either. The plot is just crazy stupid, the humor is so-so, the villains weren't good enough, etc. But the special effects and acting were OK. The biggest problem with this movie is that it tries so hard to be so many things, and unfortunately, ends up not being enough. Bottom line: Is it bad? Not really. Disappointing? Hell yes. Expand
  20. May 4, 2014
    This film is very flawed. It has many problems, most of which are caused by the rather sloppy first entry into this new Spider-Man franchise. But, it's trying. You can see a lot of effort being made to make this as good of a movie as possible, and that effort did somewhat shine through. It's not perfect, but it's definitely not just "okay." It's far better than that.

First off, it nails

First off, it nails Spide-Man as a character. Andrew Garfield is great as Peter Parker, but he's brilliant as Spider-Man. Gwen Stacy, who is played by Emma Stone, also is pitch perfect once again. James DeHaan is the best Harry Osborne yet, but sadly his story arc is rushed to where it doesn't feel like it fully worked, though I have no qualms with his fantastic performance. Electro, or Max Dillon, is played by Jamie Foxx, who I have to say is on a role lately with his acting roles. However, I can't help but feel he didn't get enough focus in the film due to the filmmakers trying to shove in Harry and even a bit of Rhino.

If I could do this film series my way, I'd have Harry Osborne in the first film interacting with Peter during high school, inferring a long relationship between the two, and have him be shipped off to boarding school at the middle of the movie, until he comes back for the sequel. I'd also make Electro the main villain of the second film with no *SPOILERS* Green Goblin at the end, or Rhino.

The story is better than the first, and by the end, the weighty material feels justified, though it's hard not to think that the film is very bloated, which is why I think some of it should have been put into the third film instead.

Still, this movie is good, and feels like a Spider-Man movie, but it's just not amazing. It has some amazing moments, especially towards the end, which I won't spoil, but other moments just feel dull. Here's hoping for a more sensational sequel.
  21. May 4, 2014
    Maybe I should stop reviewing comic book superhero flix, because I've lost all patience with the genre. The predictable stories, ho-hum opponents and noisy action all play out in this sequel. Luckily, Andrew Garfield (in the title role) has loads of charisma and charm that makes watching him enjoyable. Toss in his chemistry with Emma Stone and you have a bearable love interest. Other thanMaybe I should stop reviewing comic book superhero flix, because I've lost all patience with the genre. The predictable stories, ho-hum opponents and noisy action all play out in this sequel. Luckily, Andrew Garfield (in the title role) has loads of charisma and charm that makes watching him enjoyable. Toss in his chemistry with Emma Stone and you have a bearable love interest. Other than that, there's nothing new or special. Another downside of these films is the unnecessary length (1:42 in this case) that includes too much unnecessary drama and villainous posturing. I was never bored, but just tired of the uninspired formula. Expand
  22. May 19, 2014
    A borderline disaster. Perhaps sufficiently bad enough to kill this incarnation of the Spider-Man series. Dialogue is clunky and the tone of the movie is all over the map. At one point, as Peter and Gwen are in a broom closet at Oscorp hiding out from some nasty security men, they rekindle a discussion of whether she should go to her Oxford study program in England or not. Times Square isA borderline disaster. Perhaps sufficiently bad enough to kill this incarnation of the Spider-Man series. Dialogue is clunky and the tone of the movie is all over the map. At one point, as Peter and Gwen are in a broom closet at Oscorp hiding out from some nasty security men, they rekindle a discussion of whether she should go to her Oxford study program in England or not. Times Square is laid to waste (again) by Electro and the mass destruction of a New York landmark seems to get lost later in the on-going debate about leaving for Oxford or not.

The musical score is poor and often doesn't support the drama depicted. Dan DeHaan is an exciting young actor but his Harry Osborn seems a tad over-the-top at times. Finally, this smarmy Peter Parker/Spider-Man edition portrayed by Andrew Garfield is, after two films, actually pretty annoying. Sony must feel pretty frustrated with its corner of the Marvel universe. I wonder when the next impatient Spider-Man "reboot" will be green-lit. This edition offers nothing that we didn't see and (dare I say) didn't enjoy better with the first two Raimi films.
  23. May 12, 2014
    The film starts out with an underwhelming flashback to Peter Parker's parents, which is followed by a fairly terrible fight scene on a plane, which is just a badly directed mess of a scene.
    Then the film flashes forward an unspecified amount of time into the future, and we have one of the highlights of the movie: a CGI scene of Spider-Man jumping off a building followed by a chase scene that jumps back and forth between Peter's high school graduation and a police chase.
    I think if there's one positive about this movie it's the casting. Andrew Garfield is spot-on as Spider-Man, and Emma Stone does a good job as the love interest.
    However there were a few....miscasts: such as the completely forgettable Harry Osbourne portrayed by that guy from Chronicle, and the worst offender, the Rhino, with a terrible Russian accent and a terrible costume this was easily the worst character in the movie.
    Then we have the main antagonist of the film, Electro, portrayed by Oscar winning actor Jamie Foxx, Foxx manages to be one of the slightly more interesting elements of the movie, but thanks to bad directing and an overstuffed cast, he doesn't get enough time to fully develop his character.
    The atrocious dialogue is easily one of the worst parts of this movie. Anyone who remembers the final line from the last movie can probably get an idea of the poor quality of the writing in this sequel.
  24. May 4, 2014
    Marc Webb is the wrong choice for Spiderman. Plain and simple. He just cant bring out Spiderman like Raimi did in Spiderman 1 and 2.

The Good: 1) Web Slinging was awesome. 2) Harry Osborn was easily the best part of the movie. 3) PP and Gwen's relationship was very believable though I felt that they spent too much time on it. This is a Spiderman movie not a love story. The Bad: 1)

The Bad: 1) Too long for the story they were telling. 2) Villain was given a back seat in favor of a love story. Also, villain's motivation is laughable. 3) Music was not emotional enough. I absolutely love Hans Zimmer but this was a miss-step. Other than Harry's transformation, at no point did I feel that adrenaline rush you get when something big is about to happen. 4) Terrible pacing. Jumbled script. Forced jokes. Spiderman talks too much when in action etc.
  25. May 5, 2014
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is an overhyped and overly chaotic mess that tries too hard to be too much. None of the villains are relatable individuals, and even though the cast is strong and great at acting the parts, the director and writer decisions make most of the characters bland and shallow. The best part of this movie is the interactions between Peter and Gwen, not because of the plotThe Amazing Spider-Man 2 is an overhyped and overly chaotic mess that tries too hard to be too much. None of the villains are relatable individuals, and even though the cast is strong and great at acting the parts, the director and writer decisions make most of the characters bland and shallow. The best part of this movie is the interactions between Peter and Gwen, not because of the plot surrounding them, but because of the strength of Garfield and Stone as actors. The soundtrack and editing are distracting and confusing, and the movie leaves you with a sour taste in your mouth.

On the other hand, TASM2 offers great action and choreography that will have you on the edge of your seat. The balance between the dexterity of the characters and the strength of the damage makes every fight scene feel like it's straight out of a comic book. As previously mentioned, all actors in this movie give strong performances, as well, which makes it all the more disappointing when they can't be related to due to bad writing.
  26. May 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There is a certain level of laziness and half-assedness that pervades this entire film.

the action scenes were half-cooked, never building to anything remotely satisfying. There's no palpable danger, no sense of the good guys being overwhelmed, not even slick visuals. The heart of the story is in the romance between Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy (played by Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone respectively). They have an obvious chemistry despite the hackneyed dialogue, but the "will-they-won't-they" card played throughout the first two hours or so of the film is played so often that it becomes grating and a bit of a slog.

*SPOILER* Gwen Stacy's death and existence in this film pretty much serves as the Uncle Ben impetus of the Spider-Man story which is blatantly under served in this reboot of the series. Peter Parker never really seemed to give a damn about Uncle Ben -- neither does this franchise as a whole. It's quite a damn shame honestly.

The overall narrative is far more disjointed than a movie of this budget should ever be with relatively unrelated plot threads being taped together with bubble gum, spit, and a prayer. Why shouldn't Spidey's blood be given to Harry Osbourn? Oh, apparently Peter Parker has chosen one DNA thanks to his dad creating the genetic spiders that just happened to have bitten Peter. Strange coincidences such as this abound in a slipshod attempt at covering plot holes. Why is Oscorp's basement full of evil science weapons? Oh, well in one line someone mentions them selling weaponry overseas... I guess? The movie makes the mistake of paving over plot holes with cheap stucco. It's all told in throwaway moments instead of seen - a cardinal rule the "writers" of this particular installment broke like it was running out of style.

Dane Dehaan makes for an interesting idea of a villain, if only there had been more development of him as a character. Instead we're given a couple of goofy scenes and the assumption that his character, Harry Osbourn, and Peter Parker are best friends because we're told they are. The cringe-worthy and at times laughable dialogue does Dehaan no favors however, leaving the young thespian in the unenviable position of needing to polish a turd every time he delivers a line of dialogue.

Jamie Foxx as Electro is a visually interesting character, if not for the obvious lifting of Dr. Manhattan from Alan Moore's The Watchmen. Sadly, the same cannot be said of the character's... well, character. From obsessive, schizophrenic engineer, Max Dillon to the energy construct of Electro, Foxx feels like a character from a cheesy Saturday morning cartoon in a story that tries its hardest not to be cartoony. The result is a heterogenous mishmash of a character who should be taken as unstable and inadvertently (only to become decidedly) dangerous and a completely different origin character pulled from Jerry Lewis' The Nutty Professor. Thusly, his involvement, battle, and motivations come off as comedically awkward rather than the seemingly erratic, eerily creepy character it seems the film is going for. Also, a flat out WTF for the bizarro music attempting to let us hear Electro's internal thoughts to the glorious modern disco fad known as dub-step (or really, it's more popularized version, "bro-step" as the kids call it). It's a vaguely interesting premise that came off as straight up laughable in practice.

I'd love to speak more of Peter Parker and his development as a character, but there simply isn't much there. Aside from the effect of the completely impotent death of Gwen Stacy, Parker doesn't seem to learn much in a way that reveals more about him or makes him a better person. In fact, my biggest gripe with the first TASM was its insistence that Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy wind up back together at the end, despite Peter's promise to Gwen's father. It makes Peter unlikable in the extreme throughout this movie as he and Gwen continue to break up and get back together over the course, instead of the more emotionally intense staying apart out of necessity. This would have effectively motivated Peter chasing after Gwen when she mentions leaving for London. Instead, we get Peter Parker being a smug schmuck, and directly leading to Gwen's death in a moment that should have stolen the movie, and instead was utterly underwhelming. Followed by the repetition of a bizarrely unbelievable graduation speech from an "18" year old girl - I know she's supposed to be intelligent, but, PLEASE, this is supposed to be a high school valedictorian speech. Let's at least make it believable -- and it that way it probably would have been poignant instead of stilted and awkward.

The Amazing Spider-man 2 is a set up for Sony's attempt at expanding the Spider-man universe. Aside from creating and setting up villains for a "Sinister Six" film, there was nothing noteworthy that occurred. There were almost no characters, no drama, just a cute couple acting cute... until one of them dies.
  27. Oct 12, 2014
    Mediocre at best, primarily because of strong expectations for excellence. This could have been so much more... Still, the music was good, action was solid enough - it just needed a stronger/more convincing plot.
  28. Jan 3, 2015
    Melhor que o primeiro, entretanto ainda não foi dessa vez que vimos todo o potencial do personagem nos cinemas. Quem sabe, um dia, na mão da Disney/Marvel, ai sim teríamos um filme BOM.
  29. May 2, 2014
    This movie...is not as good as everyone saying it is. The fights with Electro are short. In fact, the fight with Goblin is even shorter! Even though this movie goes deeper into the story on how the villains are being created, and all of the secrets that hidden in the cracks. This movie has little to no action fight scenes with Spider-Man and his foes. The love story part of the movie,This movie...is not as good as everyone saying it is. The fights with Electro are short. In fact, the fight with Goblin is even shorter! Even though this movie goes deeper into the story on how the villains are being created, and all of the secrets that hidden in the cracks. This movie has little to no action fight scenes with Spider-Man and his foes. The love story part of the movie, between Gwen and Peter, is actually really nice, *SPOILERS* and it sorta makes you sad when Gwen dies. Another thing I MUST complain about is the amount of Trailers and Advertisement for this film! I think I would have loved it a little more if the amount of trailers were cut down to three to four trailers. They showed to much in them. Another problem was that the story seemed like it was cut from one scene to the next in every 5 minutes. It seemed to fast paced for a 2 hour long movie. Andrew Garfield's acting was a step down from the first, and Dane was EXCELLENT in this film. 6 - 10 for me. Expand
  30. May 2, 2014
    It pains me to say that this movie was just meh. There is way too much going on in this movie which lead to characters being underdeveloped and feeling overly long. This movie was way over promoted as well in that there were no exciting scenes that weren't in the trailers. Garfield and Stone were really good again, the visuals were great and I liked the new theme by Hans Zimmer. BetterIt pains me to say that this movie was just meh. There is way too much going on in this movie which lead to characters being underdeveloped and feeling overly long. This movie was way over promoted as well in that there were no exciting scenes that weren't in the trailers. Garfield and Stone were really good again, the visuals were great and I liked the new theme by Hans Zimmer. Better luck next time I guess. Expand
  31. May 2, 2014
    If you are a michael bay movie lover and enjoyed star wars episode one for being the entertaining movies you forget about in a couple of days then you will probably like this film. If however you are looking for good consistent story telling along with good character development this may not be the film for you.

Pretty meh overall. The first 22 minutes of the film was done well and so

Pretty meh overall. The first 22 minutes of the film was done well and so was the last 5 minutes but there was too much going on in the film in the middle with too many subplots and not enough character development for you to truly care about any of the characters except maybe harry osboune played by dane dehaan.
  32. May 2, 2014
    I never thought I would ever hate a Spider Man movie.Well,it happened..Generally the movie is overcrowded with stuff.The will they-wont they relationship between Gwen and Peter is annoying because it goes back and forth.They brake up then make up and then brake up and make up again.Peter Parker's parents story is unnecessary.The villains are dull as hell.The scenes generally arentI never thought I would ever hate a Spider Man movie.Well,it happened..Generally the movie is overcrowded with stuff.The will they-wont they relationship between Gwen and Peter is annoying because it goes back and forth.They brake up then make up and then brake up and make up again.Peter Parker's parents story is unnecessary.The villains are dull as hell.The scenes generally arent connected.It feels more like a whole bunch of scenes put together without charm and beauty.The action is not exciting at all other than the fact that the Spider Man swinging scenes were really good and cool and made the character more dynamic.This movie was a huge let down.I felt so uncomfortable and instead of dragging me into the story it kept pushing me out of it and made me hate it,a lot cause Sam Raimi's trilogy made me love this superhero and he became my favorite but this is an unnecessary rebooted saga that its not even close to Raimi's pictures.Webb and Sony better make up for this mess. Expand
  33. May 2, 2014
    The first instalment was pretty solid, but this film, tries so desperately to make us laugh with flat jokes, cry with unexpected deaths, and be on the edge of our seats with lame action sequences; with laughable villains that just try to be popular. But there's still something about The Amazing Spider-Man franchise that can be repair for the next one.
  34. May 3, 2014
    The first movie (TASM) was pretty good but this one undoes all the good things that the first did. The first two hours are draggy and the remainder picks up just before it ends. There's just too many characters in the middle of everything, unlike The Avengers that managed that very well TASM fails miserably. Skip it, wait for the Blu -Ray, DVD or Netflix releases.
  35. May 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a disappointment this film is two different films in one. The good half starts with Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker/Spiderman, the best Spiderman by far. It continues with Emma Stone as Gwen Stacey and the chemistry between her and Peter is magic and the best part of this film. One last positive goes out to Sally Field as Aunt May, she had some real emotional scenes with Peter. Now for the negative's the villains in this film are 90's Batman villains from The Riddler I'm sorry Electro to Mr. Freeze aka Rhino yes Rhino's that bad. The Green Goblin maybe the best villian, but he suffers from no real character development. Overall it's strange to say but if I could have gotten two and a half hours of the love story with scenes of Spiderman helping kids that maybe a 9 or 10 but with the pointless villains dragging it down it regretfully gets a 5. Garfield and Stone deserved better than this. C+ Expand
  36. May 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I just got home from seeing this movie, and all I could say was, Spiderman 3. It wasn't as bad as Spiderman 3, but it wasn't as good as the first Amazing Spiderman movie. The first 5 minutes were really great, and it got the film off to a good start, and then the middle was just confusing, too much underdeveloped plot development, and then Electro shows up. Then, where was the climax? Then we get two new villains randomly. There wasn't enough action. I'm totally into plot and everything, and it's as important as anything, but real meaningful plot. I wasn't sure what to take from this movie. I hope the next one corrects a lot of this one's flaws. It did make the mistake that Spiderman 3 had, which was too many villains. Stick to one. I will probably be buying this on DVD, but I prefer the first one. Expand
  37. May 2, 2014
    This was painful to watch. There's a really forced romance full of teenage angst and a Spiderman lacking the moral sense of Sam Raimi's character, just an obnoxious kid who likes to swing around and tease everyone. I think they overdid it trying to humanize everyone, and it watches more like a sappy soap opera than a comic book movie. It kinda feels like Twilight in spandex, to be honestThis was painful to watch. There's a really forced romance full of teenage angst and a Spiderman lacking the moral sense of Sam Raimi's character, just an obnoxious kid who likes to swing around and tease everyone. I think they overdid it trying to humanize everyone, and it watches more like a sappy soap opera than a comic book movie. It kinda feels like Twilight in spandex, to be honest -- all juvenile and shiny and devoid of substance. Did not like. Expand
  38. May 4, 2014
    woot there is justice in the world. Mostly everyone here sees this movie for the soulless cash in that it is. Though 196 positive user scores... I smell hackery
  39. May 3, 2014
    Not as bad as Raimi's spider man 3, but it lacks a certain gravitas maybe?? The script is light and airy, but I felt a lot of lines were kind of cheesy one liners. No doubt Garefield and Stone can act as well as Jamie Foxx. But I hate to beat dead horse but these multiple villian plot lines just dont work for a movie like spider man. I imagine they are just teasing with Rhino and heNot as bad as Raimi's spider man 3, but it lacks a certain gravitas maybe?? The script is light and airy, but I felt a lot of lines were kind of cheesy one liners. No doubt Garefield and Stone can act as well as Jamie Foxx. But I hate to beat dead horse but these multiple villian plot lines just dont work for a movie like spider man. I imagine they are just teasing with Rhino and he will be the next one, Why though do we need yet another Harry Osbourne Jr. origin story when it has been featured in the previous installments. A lot of it just felt stale and when the action wasnt booming the movie comes to a screeching halt. There are some creative moments and the action is filmed extremely well though. Expand
  40. May 15, 2014
    - Inconsistent storytelling
    - Logic gaps
    .........................................
  41. Jul 30, 2014
    Ugh, yeah I get it.. It follows the comics more strictly.. And yeah it's okaaay. But look, this Spider-Man 2 is no comparison to the real Spider-Man 2.

I don't get all the love with these two latest versions. Marc Webb has basically created a Teen Nick Spider-Man. I understand if people don't like Tobey Maguire's face or whatever the excuse is, but this is just incomparable. 5/10

5/10 because of the consistency with the comic book storyline
  42. May 4, 2014
    Its leads, set pieces, and score may be incredibly promising, but due to a handful of sharply flawed character choices, an unbearably cluttered narrative, and some general lunacy interspersed throughout, "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" neither undershoots nor exceeds the film's acceptable predecessor.
  43. May 3, 2014
    I liked the performances of the cast. Andrew Garfield is a great Spider-Man with his smart-talks and comic moments and a more human Peter Parker than the first film (if overly sentimental). Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy has even bigger moments in this film than the previous. Dane DeHaan almost steals the show as Harry Osborne and Jamie Foxx is excellent (I don't know why people would think he'sI liked the performances of the cast. Andrew Garfield is a great Spider-Man with his smart-talks and comic moments and a more human Peter Parker than the first film (if overly sentimental). Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy has even bigger moments in this film than the previous. Dane DeHaan almost steals the show as Harry Osborne and Jamie Foxx is excellent (I don't know why people would think he's a miscast before). The CGI set-pieces were fun to watch and I liked how Marc Webb tries to be more dramatically demanding, like Raimi's Spider-Man. I appreciate action movies with more narrative than action sequences or set-pieces (like this movie) but with all that said though, I'm surprised people actually like this movie. The critics are right about this movie, the storytelling is bad. It's unfocused and crams too many subplots, too many characters and too many villains. This is the problem with Spider-Man 3 (everyone hated that movie) and it's a bigger problem here but because it's not Raimi, Webb gets a free pass as the loyalty of fanboys prevent them from seeing and agreeing (bowing down to mediocrity for the sake of fanboying the franchise). There's more Peter Parker than there is Spider-Man, and that's okay but there's too many plot points. It jumps back and forth between his relationship with Gwen, his relationship with Harry and the origins of his parents. I liked the chemistry between Garfield and Stone but the painfully cheesy dialogues makes their relationship look like Twilight. Everyone hated that movie also but because it's Spider-Man, it to gets a free pass. Superhero's love interest are always subplots and they made his love interest the main plot pretty much, which is fine if it wasn't all cliche and Twilight. His relationship with Harry feels forced, right from the moment Harry mentioned Peter's braces and Peter mentioned him blow-drying and combing his hair all the time or something like that. The origin of his Peter's parents has nothing to do with the story at all, it doesn't move the plot along. After Peter finds the video of his dad, it seems like Peter forgets everything about his parents after that, it becomes irrelevant in the film. They just resolved the origins of his parents for the sake of it, because his parents left him at the beginning of the first film and we don't know why but I couldn't care less. How do you cram three villains into one film without being overcrowded? By barely featuring any of them in the film. Rhino only has four minutes on-screen time. There's no character arc and it's completely pointless. If that's their way of introducing him for the second sequel, they should've introduced him in the second sequel. The Rhino that you see in the trailer is all that you'll see from him in the film. And the boy standing in front of him trying to be Spider-Man, what a **** embarrassment. When you see Spider-Man swinging the manhole cover at Rhino, that's the beginning of the fight and the end of the movie. I wanted to see a fight sequence before but the movie bored the **** out of me so I couldn't care less. There's more Harry Osborne than Green Goblin and the Green Goblin was just a set-up to Gwen Stacy's death. It's a bit contrived but emotional and heartbreaking overall. Still, I can't help but feel like Green Goblin is another wasted villain. Max Dillon is a character I felt sympathy for; he's lonely, socially awkward and under-appreciated. Max Dillon could've been a great character, had they not throw it away as soon as he becomes Electro. If they want to make Max/Dillon an unsympathetic character but make him relatable in the beginning, they should do it slowly. Make him less and less unsympathetic as the movie moves along and with a running time of 2 hours and 20 minutes, they could do that if they didn't try and squeeze multiple story arcs into a single film. Abruptly shifting him into a villain (just when I started to like the character, probably more so than Peter Parker) is not how you develop character. There are a few comic moments in the film but most of it falls flat and I don't understand why Harry is dying of an illness (that is hereditary) at a young age when his dad survived until his 60s. I suppose the filmmakers were hoping that no one in the audience would notice the major plot hole and couldn't come up with another way to set-up the whole character. TASM2 tries to be different from all the superhero movies by putting more focus on the narrative, which is fine but it fails in that level. It just drags on-and-on with the story and I was hoping the set-pieces would make up for it but there's not enough of it due to the lack of balance. The performances, set-pieces and direction saves this film from being a complete disaster but as a Spider-Man fan, I was hugely disappointed and letdown by this film. This is worse than Spider-Man 3, at least it's not cheesy and I can tolerate with "emo" Spider. This is painfully and disappointingly average! Expand
  44. May 3, 2014
    Every Spiderman movie contains one super villain too many. But the delightful chemistry between Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone makes this otherwise kind of aimless story an okay watch.
  45. May 3, 2014
    The Amazing Spider-man 2, while not a great movie, manages to be better than, in my opinion, its boring predecessor. Garfield, Stone, and DeHann are great in this film and Garfield feels more like Spider-man from the comics (funny and cool). However, I wasn't pleased by Foxx's and Giamatti's (brief) performance. As good as DeHann's acting was, all three villains felt bland and wateredThe Amazing Spider-man 2, while not a great movie, manages to be better than, in my opinion, its boring predecessor. Garfield, Stone, and DeHann are great in this film and Garfield feels more like Spider-man from the comics (funny and cool). However, I wasn't pleased by Foxx's and Giamatti's (brief) performance. As good as DeHann's acting was, all three villains felt bland and watered down, especially Electro, who in the first half of the film got me hyped to see him. In addition, the story was tedious and boring. Captain America: The Winter Soldier perfected the plot and dialogue based superhero story, but The Amazing Spider-man 2 tries and fails to do the same. Expand
  46. May 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. People keep saying these movies follow the comic books more you sure?!?!
    Isn't Norman Osborn the Green Goblin not harry?, I Don't Recall The Osborn's having a hereditary disease that kills them?!? The rhino isn't a guy in a freaking robot! he has no use for missile and guns! what the hell?! Max Dillon never turned into Electro due to electric eels?! SO MANY ERRORS, SO MANY INCONSISTENCIES! Did i have fun with this movie yeah more or less, i enjoyed it, i did, but does that make it a GREAT film no, its not. not remotely close to great for example Captain America 2 was great it was AMAZING, this new spider-man flick was not! I'm not hating or trying to standout, but as a spider-man fan from the early 90's this is just my honest opinion. I thought i would hate Harry Osborn's character but to my surprise i liked him! I'll go as far as saying that Harry Osborne was my favorite character in the movie, he wasn't perfect but i enjoyed the character (the green goblin on the other hand felt like venom I'm just glad they didn't kill him off and hopefully they can improve him). Electro was also enjoyable (i can't say anything bad really). The action scenes were OK, sometimes just too much CGI, a thing i liked about the original trilogy is that they actually used practical sets and not everything was behind a green screen. I also liked the new suit better it looks classic, the one from the 1st Amazing Spider-man was terrible it looked like a yoga Mat. The romance sub plot between peter and Gwen was OK sometimes it was too much (we wanna see Spider-man more!), but yeah. I will say that i was surprised Gwen died, i never saw that coming, (yes i know she dies in the comics) but i never thought they'd pull the trigger on screen. The movie also felt too forced with the comedy trying too hard to be funny, maybe I'm just a hard person to make laugh but i laughed like twice and in some of those times i think i wasn't supposed to laugh. Another thing that was stupid was promoting rhino in the trailers and posters when he was given 2 minutes of screen time that is false advertising! Such a disappointment. OVERALL this movie is just a cheesy, action popcorn flick with some funny moments, i enjoyed it fr what it was although the plot was messy, the pace was all over the place and compared to many great superhero sequels, (The Dark Knight, Spider-man 2, X2, Captain America The Winter Soldier) This movie just doesn't hold up against them, I'm also not sure if this movie was better than the 1st, maybe they're about the same. I will say that the Original 2 were better, sorry but they were. The Fact that Andrew Garfield makes a more handsome spidey is a stupid ass excuse. My grade is a 6.5 to a 7. Enjoyable just won't be too memorable besides Gwen death, Really Looking forward to 3, i feel like that movie will be the GREAT ONE! (on a side note the soundtrack was good too).
  47. May 2, 2014
    One of those films that were obviously produced because a group of guys in suits ordered it and not because the filmmakers wanted to make it. Not that The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a terrible movie, it's just not a very good one either. Sony made a terrible mistake showing around half of the film (I'm not exaggerating) in the promotion material, because by the time you see it, the awe factorOne of those films that were obviously produced because a group of guys in suits ordered it and not because the filmmakers wanted to make it. Not that The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a terrible movie, it's just not a very good one either. Sony made a terrible mistake showing around half of the film (I'm not exaggerating) in the promotion material, because by the time you see it, the awe factor is pretty much gone. Everything is just a "been there, done that" experience.

Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone once more show charming chemistry, but unfortunately for them, they had to work with incredibly corny dialog. Jamie Foxx as Electro is the most unintentionally funny villain since Topher Grace's Venom, and what did they do to Paul Giamatti? He's great actor, but his acting was cringe-worthy here. Not to mention that his character is utterly pointless and expendable. Dane DeHaan is the scene stealer and did a fantastic job, he should have had more screen-time instead of a glorified cameo as Green Goblin (I'm not spoiling anything here since Sony already did that).

This reboot has everything it needs to be good, but TASM2 was a step backwards from what was achieved in the first film.
  48. May 3, 2014
    Had a nice trailer...Buuut...Too much crying in the movie. Emma Stone is nice...buuut not as Gwen Stacy. I love the action scenes, with Electro, they were truly "Amazing". In addition, I would like to see more of Green Goblin / Harry Osborn in the movie, he looked extremely nice as a villain. Special effects are getting better every day, but in this movie, they are mixed with boring andHad a nice trailer...Buuut...Too much crying in the movie. Emma Stone is nice...buuut not as Gwen Stacy. I love the action scenes, with Electro, they were truly "Amazing". In addition, I would like to see more of Green Goblin / Harry Osborn in the movie, he looked extremely nice as a villain. Special effects are getting better every day, but in this movie, they are mixed with boring and dramatic scenes. I went to the cinema, to watch a superhero movie, and one-half of it was truly that way. Therefore, the score is 6 out of 10, +1 point is for the fact that I love Spider-man franchise. In addition, I would say: go and watch this movie, if you like Spidey, but be ready to see all of the crying stuff. P.S.: Even my girlfriend said, it was too boring for her, and I had to convince her to stay and see the end of this movie. Buy the way, we both liked, how it ended =) Expand
  49. May 6, 2014
    Mentre sullo sfondo già si profilano gli episodi tre e quattro, la seconda puntata della nuova serie dedicata all’Uomo Ragno si mantiene sulle coordinate del capitolo che aveva dato inizio di nuovo alla storia rafforzandone (troppo?) le caratteristiche per un risultato con qualche chiaroscuro che sarebbe stato meglio evitare: l’intrattenimento è assicurato, ma la qualità complessiva èMentre sullo sfondo già si profilano gli episodi tre e quattro, la seconda puntata della nuova serie dedicata all’Uomo Ragno si mantiene sulle coordinate del capitolo che aveva dato inizio di nuovo alla storia rafforzandone (troppo?) le caratteristiche per un risultato con qualche chiaroscuro che sarebbe stato meglio evitare: l’intrattenimento è assicurato, ma la qualità complessiva è lontana dai migliori Spider-man. I personaggi restano degli adolescenti – per la precisione dei diciottenni, così che per interpretare Peter, Gwen e uno dei ‘cattivi’, Harry/il Goblin, gli attori sono costretti a togliersi almeno una decina d’anni - mentre la sceneggiatura (firmata a sei mani da Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci e Jeff Pinker) si sofferma a lungo sugli aspetti psicologici, specie quelli del protagonista principale, faticando però ad amalgamarli con una parte d’azione che finisce quasi in secondo piano. L’attenzione è concentrata soprattutto sul rapporto tra Peter e Gwen, ovvero sui tormenti di lui che si ritrova costretto a scegliere tra la missione di supereroe e l’amore: il tempo per fare tutto non c’è – il tema del tempo riemerge spesso, partendo dal discorso della ragazza alla cerimonia del diploma per culminare nei meccanismi dell’orologio in cui si svolge una delle scene chiave – e il giovanotto si strugge nello stabilire dove prendere prima. Una decisione complicata anche dal moltiplicarsi di sottotrame che danno qua e là l’impressione di non essere sfruttate appieno: mentre l’apparentemente ritrovato rapporto con l’amico Harry non presta il fianco a critiche di sorta, le ricerche sulla scomparsa dei genitori valorizzano poco la bella idea della Roosvelt Station e la ‘nascita’ di Electro, oltre a presentare poco di nuovo, è minata, nel prosieguo dalla caricaturale figura del dotto Kafka. Il che porta dritti alla constatazione che i momenti migliori siano quelli che narrano l’amore tra i due giovani e la combinazione che ne deriva fatta da profonda attrazione, doveri morali e voglia d’indipendenza. Insomma, dopo il prologo avventuroso la riflessione prevale sull’azione per un centinaio di minuti buoni, ma questo non vuol dire che ci si annoi perché la storia è ben costruita, con il contrappunto dalle infinite chiacchiere nonchè battute del protagonista, così che il tempo passa senza che lo spettatore se ne accorga: è anzi la resa dei conti, casomai, a perdere qualche colpo forse anche perché è in versione depurata per evitare di incappare nelle maglie della censura. Ridotti sono pure i voli tra i grattacieli, anche se la skyline di New York consente comunque di costruire inquadrature che sfruttano appieno il grande schermo (la fotografia è di Dan Mindel): alternando gli spazi a un efficace lavoro sui primi piani: nel complesso, la regia di Webb non inventa nulla, ma risulta peraltro funzionale a quello che deve raccontare. Coerente alle scelte stilistiche è anche la colonna sonora meno roboante del solito di Hans Zimmer che, nelle parti in cui non imperversa il pieno d’orchestra, si avvale della collaborazione di Johnny Marr e Pharrell Williams. Infine, gli interpreti seguono il destino dei loro personaggi: se Garfield e Stone confermano la sintonia e la bravura già notate nella prima puntata mentre Sally Field è di nuovo una zia May di notevole misura malgrado il poco tempo a disposizione, nei panni degli avversari dell’eroe Dane DeHaan ha qualche spazio in più come Harry prima di diventare il Goblin ma, per il resto, si nota di più la divertita comparsata di Paul Giamatti nei panni di un criminale russo di quanto non faccia Jamie Foxx che, nei panni Electro, è decisamente sprecato a parte un paio di scene quando è ancora Max Dillon. Expand
  50. May 5, 2014
    If the new Spider-Man could represent one thing, it would be hope; hope that Sony can deliver as Disney and Paramount Pictures have with its Marvel mammoth The Avengers cannon; hope that their reboot is a successful and advancing platform towards a very large and lucratively sinister franchise future; and hope that will restore faith in the amazingness in its highly popular comic bookIf the new Spider-Man could represent one thing, it would be hope; hope that Sony can deliver as Disney and Paramount Pictures have with its Marvel mammoth The Avengers cannon; hope that their reboot is a successful and advancing platform towards a very large and lucratively sinister franchise future; and hope that will restore faith in the amazingness in its highly popular comic book wall-crawling character after a trilogy not too long ago.

Spider-Man is undoubtedly a symbol of hope; a beacon of goodness; an ideal for morality. Growing up, Spider-Man was and continues to be one of my favourite comic book characters. Riding on emotion and sentiment, the web head is a fictional comic book character written as imperfectly as you and me.

Making his fifth entry on the big screen in just twelve years in Marc Webb’s second installment of the Amazing Spider-Man series, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is less amazing and more routine. At times, the film shines as a gemstone indie love story similar to Webb’s Sundance breakout hit 500 Days of Summer, then, just seconds later, becomes a highly explosive and cartoonish PG suitable Transformers imitation. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is as confused a film as its lead human character Peter Parker, taking too many liberties with his story yet trying to stay true to the comic book character Stan Lee and Steve Ditko created over fifty years ago. Thankfully, actor Andrew Garfield suits up again and holds the emotional scenes of the film together as the wise-cracking identity confused teenager, nailing every subtle and bold Peter Parker nuance while facing off against many obstacles and three very pissed off villains in what has been marketed as ‘his greatest battle yet’.

With the exception of Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man 3, the last of Raimi’s trilogy with the character and a total train wreck, the films seem to be making a slow but steady decline in narrative, quality filmmaking and heart–and the same could be said with The Amazing Spider-Man 2. Rebooting the series in 2012 for the sole purpose of making great use of movie theatres current obsession of 3D and applying it to Spidey’s first person metropolitan web-swinging, the point-of-view filming approach makes up for mere minutes of the film, usually focusing on the tormented personality of Peter Parker and the difficult choices he needs to make, as both a man and a hero, which was already visited in the first trilogy. Not that we are expecting a film to be made in the same way as the disastrous POV bomb Doom, but if the studio did decide to revisit a highly successful series only years after the first one was complete, at least make it worth while for the audience to drop the $20 for admission.

In the first Amazing Spider-Man film, Webb’s narrative felt like a familiar story of Peter Parker with a new villain. Thankfully, the series was able to pick up massive talent with a director who flourishes in his ability to flesh out the fine chemistry between his actors as seen with 500 Days of Summer and is able to create highly emotional, gut-wrenching bonds between lovers, friends, allies and enemies. With the talented Mr.Webb behind the lens, the Amazing franchise brought Peter Parker more vividly to life with the passionate and caring Andrew Garfield, who proved on many occasions how humbled and dedicated he was highlighting a side of Peter Parker in a way that Tobey Maguire never could. His interactions with his aunt and love interests Gwen are the best scenes in the film, hands down. Kudos to Ms. Emma Stone, who brings Peter Parker’s first love Gwen Stacy to life with pizzazz and spunk for a second time and finally rids herself of all the Emma Stone nuances that made her performance distracting in the first film.

Picking up exactly where the last film left off in terms of secrets and mysteries, the film opens up to a flashback of Peter Parker’s parent’s disappearance. Richard and Mary Parker (Campbell Scott and Embeth Davidtz) leave New York and their son behind after double-crossing Oscorp. Flash forward nearly two decades and their son is saving the big apple in his blue and red spandex suit, one fallen fruit at a time.

One of the most interesting mythos behind Spider-Man is his bond with humanity and his internal struggle. Spider-Man is cocky and comical throughout the film, usually minimizing the severity of the action and violence going on around him. Meanwhile, Peter Parker is a highly emotional and tragic character whose curse lays in his inability to distance himself from the people he loves the most. Spider-Man narratives have always been about making choices, choosing paths and learning from one’s mistakes. Almost all the comic book characters getting the big screen treatment have been adapting what I like to call The Dark Knight formula; a formula that allows its characters to somewhat be rooted in reality, adding a drizzle of grittiness.
  51. Jun 12, 2014
    Crap . horrible . ilogical . zzzzzzzzzz sleeping , boring . heroe tonto . crap crap crap crap crap, dont pay $ to see this movie. boooooooring . buuuuuuu
  52. May 5, 2014
    The first one wasnt good, but this one surprised me, i had no expectations from that movie so i thought it was really good, it has his issues but its surprising.
  53. May 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While this film is not terible there is bits of disappointment if you think your gonna see spidy punch electro as he did to d.r Ock as in the old triligy you wrong how ever the story is interesting and made the film a success enjoyable just not what spidy fans exspect Expand
  54. May 4, 2014
  55. May 13, 2014
    I was hesitant to get into this series after the horrible first trilogy. However after watching the 1st one I was intrigued. They lost some of what made the 1st one good. There was too much focus on romance and it was done in a cheesy way. Some of the scenes seemed a little forced. They strayed from the source material a bit with Electro and things but it worked to an extent. I do believeI was hesitant to get into this series after the horrible first trilogy. However after watching the 1st one I was intrigued. They lost some of what made the 1st one good. There was too much focus on romance and it was done in a cheesy way. Some of the scenes seemed a little forced. They strayed from the source material a bit with Electro and things but it worked to an extent. I do believe they choose the wrong mech suit design for the Rhino and was also hoping for more on screen time of this character. I really like how they got more into the witty and funny comments Spidey is known for when dealing with criminals. The visual effects were also amazing. The story can drag in certain parts when waiting for the full on action seems which are done well. All in all it was an okay movie. Not something I would rush out and buy but when the price drops it could be added to the collection. This wont be one of Marvel's top grossing films but it wont be a bomb either just an average film they make money on and hopefully learn what to stay with and what to correct in the next one (i.e. mech suit). Expand
  56. May 13, 2014
    Coming from a fan, what this installment did to the Amazing Spider-man franchise is only bring it down for me. The film is overly flawed and crowded, but nonetheless entertaining. This film would've felt flat if not for the amazing chemistry between the actors, mostly the leads. Andrew steps up his game in this one, they've really got the casting spot on with Spider-man and Peter, andComing from a fan, what this installment did to the Amazing Spider-man franchise is only bring it down for me. The film is overly flawed and crowded, but nonetheless entertaining. This film would've felt flat if not for the amazing chemistry between the actors, mostly the leads. Andrew steps up his game in this one, they've really got the casting spot on with Spider-man and Peter, and Emma is really incredible and mesmerising as Gwen Stacy. The problems I have is that the plot feels forced at points, and Electro is not that strong of a character, let alone a menacing villain. The action is top notch, the cast is spectacular, but that's it. It's nothing more than an entertaining piece of cinematography. It won't leave you wanting to see it again.
    Overall the film had great potential, but fell flat due to incomprehensible and unnecessary plot elements and underdeveloped characters.
  57. May 24, 2014
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is almost a good sequel. The film focuses on the dilemma of Peter Parker rather than excessive action, has a good cast with a good villain, and some fun action that isn’t excessive. There are two things that hold this movie back from being spectacular one of which isn’t the movies fault and that is marketing. The marketing for this film made it seem bigger than itThe Amazing Spider-Man 2 is almost a good sequel. The film focuses on the dilemma of Peter Parker rather than excessive action, has a good cast with a good villain, and some fun action that isn’t excessive. There are two things that hold this movie back from being spectacular one of which isn’t the movies fault and that is marketing. The marketing for this film made it seem bigger than it really was. Had the film just been advertised as Spider-Man fighting Electro I wouldn’t have expected too much out of it but the marketing set the bar too high with excessive trailers, giving away villains that play minor roles, having trailers feature scenes that out of context seem bigger than they really are, and it doesn’t hurt that the film’s catch phrase was “His Greatest Battle Begins.” However, upon a second viewing I’m be more excepting of it and if you are lucky you haven’t been exposed to the excessive marketing for the film and don’t know anything which is how it should be. My second major gripe is the ending, which feels rushed and sloppy in comparison the rest of the film. Had the marketing not built this movie up so much, given stuff away, and misrepresented the film by showing various scenes out of context and had the ending been better written this could have been a spectacular film just as good if not better than the original and could rival and/or surpass the first two films in Raimi’s version of the character. As it is it’s a fun action film that is nowhere near the disaster that Spider-Man 3 was. If you are a fan of Spider-Man check this one out but if you are getting tired of Spidey this film won’t do much for me. If you go to see it though lower your expectations and don’t watch any trailers just know that its Peter Parker dealing with problems and fighting Electro and you’ll probably be entertained outside of the ending. But if you’ve seen the excessive marketing prepare for a major disappointment. Expand
  58. Aug 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was amazing alright, but not for me. Don't get me wrong, I love the first Amazing Spider-Man. Sadly, what Marc Webb just did with #2 threw it all away. I saw the movie in IMAX 3-D and it came out as a watershed deja vu of Spider-Man 3 all over again. The good news is that the chemistry between Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy worked incredibly beautiful, and Sally Field as Aunt May is perfect. (Extra points for Stan "The Man" Lee's cameo)

There is one problem: The film is TOO DAMN LONG!

Some are good, the rest fells flat in the face. The story doesn't feel any resemblance to Spider-Man unique origins story and turn it into a 2 1/2 hour full of a disjointed action romp that's filled with plotholes and cheesey one-liners. I almost forgot that Electro's character development is just the polar opposite of bland and dull. Jamie Foxx's performance as the lightning-rod villain/alter-ego Max Dillion is questionable. And Electro's CGI elements are overrot. He always complains too much with this mess. The (almost) ending scene where Gwen Stacy dies doesn't make any sense. It was supposed to be happily ever after and now Webb screwed it up. In fact, he screwed the rest of the fans (including, myself) and try to alienate the rebooted Spider-Man franchise from scratch. So much for Spider-Man 4. Also, earlier this year, I thought underrated newcomer Shailene Woodley should've, would,ve and could've been a great choice casting as fan-fave Mary Jane in #2, but I seriously don't understand why she was taken out of the picture and add Gwen Stacy instead. She is a great actress (although Divergent is very decent) and saying that she's not pretty enough might send the wrong message and let this baffoon of a director pretended that it was some sort of a mistake. F**k you, Marc Webb. I was surprised that all of the action is wasting too much time. Sure it might've been good, but I fell asleep and needless to say, that is not how you make a grand entrance to a supposedly amazing sequel, period. And whoever told Paul Giamatti plays as a laughable villain named Rhino almost at the end and Spider-Man challenges him to a one-on-one battle? That really pisses me off. Movie's over. Wait...what? A new clip showing Mystique kicking the living hell out of the government? Thanks a lot, Sony. I smell a lawsuit between both Sony and Fox because both are Marvel films (outside of Disney's intellectual respects), but they have no business revealing the new teaser for Days of Future Past. If they need to make a third Amazing Spider-Man movie, they need to tone down the action a little along with Peter Parker's ongoing chemistry with Gwen, try to add Green Goblin or Mary Jane and don't even try to rush the characters into a walking recycled douche, and keep the movie an hour and a half because I'm still reeling right now and still angry. I would write an angry letter to Sony and hopefully they should add the extended cut of the movie on Blu-Ray. Not this moment, but probably during the Winter. When you see another superhero movie going to add another sequel in a few years, something is wrong. And that's why I have had enough of The Amazing Spider-Man 2. Top down in every level, I should put this in the 10 Worst Superhero Movie Sequels next time.
  59. May 24, 2014
    NEW review-ish after putting off changing my review I have to saw it's definitely decreased from a 7 to a 6 and barely a 6 I could have made it a 5, but some things saved it from that. After thinking about it for a while there were more stupid things that I have thought about now. Needless to say now I'm fairly disappointed in this movie and don't have much confidence for it's future andNEW review-ish after putting off changing my review I have to saw it's definitely decreased from a 7 to a 6 and barely a 6 I could have made it a 5, but some things saved it from that. After thinking about it for a while there were more stupid things that I have thought about now. Needless to say now I'm fairly disappointed in this movie and don't have much confidence for it's future and I'm a big Spidey fan. Expand
  60. May 29, 2014
    This movie was a huge let down compared to the first. Rhino is falsely advertised just so you know. The action and chemistry between Peter and Stacy is the best parts of the movie. The overall story is all over the place. If you're bringing a younger audience the action will be enough to entertain them but for someone who was looking for a better thought out story this movie does not deliver.
  61. Jun 26, 2015
    You friendly neighbourhood web-slinger returns for more of the same, albeit with added confusion and much less charm. The narrative drifts, and those extravagant effects, paradoxically, make the film eminently forgettable, or at least indistinguishable from every other CGI-heavy assault on our senses. It doesn't just double down on what didn't work in the first film, it manages to undoYou friendly neighbourhood web-slinger returns for more of the same, albeit with added confusion and much less charm. The narrative drifts, and those extravagant effects, paradoxically, make the film eminently forgettable, or at least indistinguishable from every other CGI-heavy assault on our senses. It doesn't just double down on what didn't work in the first film, it manages to undo some of the good qualities of the original as well. The small moments, the physical comedy, Spidey's constant wisecracking; these things are all charming, but they're counterbalanced by stock summer blockbuster elements that Webb never seems interested in. Even the most stylized genre movie needs the occasional infusion of real-person behavior. The trouble with director Marc Webb's disappointing sequel is it wants to have it both ways: to take seriously human connection and loss and also spin the spectacular and pulpy. About the best thing one can say about this visually eye-popping fiasco is that Webb has taken only two films to reach the same exhausting endpoint that Raimi required three to achieve. It's a progress, of sorts. There are too many explosions, too many blaring sonic effects, too many break-ups-and-make-ups, too many villains. And not enough heart. A throw-everything-at-the-wall movie primarily working as yet another set-up, building the foundation for future films at the expense of the central narrative. A badly scripted jumble of subplots whose jostling for screen time only serves to obscure the character who is supposed to be center stage. Perhaps next time, this itsy bitsy spider won't have such a hard time fighting for his own spotlight. Expand
  62. May 16, 2014
    I didn't think I'd like the first Garfield-Spider-Man version, and was blown away. Similarly, I didn't expect to feel so disappointed by the next entry! Just too much, for me. By the end of the film I was struggling to find the humanity so well built in the first one. It's not a 'bad' movie, but I won't be seeing it again. I hope they either bypass a third entry or hire a much better teamI didn't think I'd like the first Garfield-Spider-Man version, and was blown away. Similarly, I didn't expect to feel so disappointed by the next entry! Just too much, for me. By the end of the film I was struggling to find the humanity so well built in the first one. It's not a 'bad' movie, but I won't be seeing it again. I hope they either bypass a third entry or hire a much better team of writers to help Webb out. I know they can do better than that! Expand
  63. Sep 13, 2014
    I going to say I'm a huge spiderman fan I got most of him comics but the amazing spiderman franchice its cutting for me. Webb’s The Amazing Spider-Man 2 there’s a decent 90-minute movie. The problem is that, for every good moment, fantastic performance, and solid action scene, there are underdeveloped character and story elements, questionable CGI, and tepid melodrama. This causes theI going to say I'm a huge spiderman fan I got most of him comics but the amazing spiderman franchice its cutting for me. Webb’s The Amazing Spider-Man 2 there’s a decent 90-minute movie. The problem is that, for every good moment, fantastic performance, and solid action scene, there are underdeveloped character and story elements, questionable CGI, and tepid melodrama. This causes the movie as a whole to come across as flat, dull eye candy, which never does enough to differentiate itself from either its predecessor or Sam Raimi’s earlier stab at the franchise. Not enough of what they try to do works, there’s no thematic continuity, and you walk away feeling like the filmmakers never decided what movie they wanted to show you.

Andrew Garfield proves once again that he was an excellent choice to play the new incarnation of the web-slinger and his civilian alter ego Peter Parker. Charming, earnest, and fun to watch, he embodies the duality of the character, capturing both the wisecracking teen, but also carrying the weight of his responsibility and the baggage he stows under all that spandex. People are going to hate the constant banter with the bad guys, but that’s a key part of Spidey’s shtick, and to be honest, that’s always been the most annoying trait of the comics. As the lead he’s easily the best part of the movie, but still not enough to save the day.

Playing opposite Garfield, Emma Stone is back as Gwen Stacey. She, like her partner in crime, is great to watch and it’s hard not to love her at least a little bit. It’s nice to see a female character that is more than just a superhero’s girlfriend, a complication, or some dangling carrot for him to save. Over the course of the movie she does wind up in peril, but this comes as a direct result of the choices she makes of her own accord. In fact, she has a skill set and knowledge that, without, there’s no way good could possibly triumph over evil.

Aside from his origins and the death of uncle Ben, the relationship between Peter and Gwen is one of most iconic pieces of Spider-Man lore. Though there are a few too many will-they-won’t-they moments that take up valuable time, it’s nice to see that relationship rendered well, and Garfield and Stone have such a fantastic chemistry that it’s hard not to be engaged in their story. This is easily the high point, too bad the rest of the movie is nothing but mediocre.
  64. May 22, 2014
    Marvel movies just don't interest me anymore. I have never really been a big fan, but at least back before The Avengers they were enjoyable to say the least.

SPOILER ALERT: The villains suck. Electro is crap. He just whined and moaned about how Spiderman "lied to him" in half his scenes. He is the main villain and he is almost as weak as Sandman in the slightly worse Spider-Man 3, just for the record. Rhino is also in the movie and appeared in the trailer just as much as the other two villains, he is actually in the movie for about four minutes. And it's in the last scene. And you don't even see him get defeated. I'm not a Marvel fanboy and have never really cared for the original comics and how close the movies were to them. However if I were an annoying Marvel fanboy I would be pissed about the misleading advertisement. Finally the third villain The Green Goblin, one of the best things about the Raimi Spider-Man movies, is actually pretty cool, it's just a shame that he is only in the movie (as The Green Goblin not Harry Osborn) for ten minutes at the most. DeHaan is the best thing about the movie, he always grabs my attention no matter what movie he is in. The villains are not the only problem with the characters though. All of the cast play messy characters, in a decent way, the only above average performance is from Dane DeHaan who is always strangely entertaining. The plot has potential to be very interesting, but the amount of stuff going on at once is confusing and somehow quite boring. Maybe it is even more overstuffed than the legendary Spider-Man 3. Also the tone of the movie is inconsistent. Sometimes it is grim and reasonably realistic. Others it is like a kids movie full of slapstick gags and lame pants jokes. Some things are just downright ridiculous, I mean Spiderman is basically Superman. He can pretty much fly and use his webs to do anything. Like catch a police car? Seriously? There is no mystery in this movie because it feels like the writers just wrote in new things Spiderman is capable of doing so he doesn't die.

The Amazing Spiderman 2 is probably going to end up being yet another superhero movie fawned over by fanboys for the next couple of years, but personally I won't bother watching it again. I quite like the twist (even if I didn't care for the characters involved much) towards the end, overall the finished product met my expectations. A weak and predictable superhero movie with close to no redeeming features.
  65. lox
    May 9, 2014
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2 brings many improvements and flaws to the table. Despite adequate depth given to Harry Osborn by Dane Dehaan, somehow the film managed to never give me a genuine reason to care about his problems. Max Dillon's transition to the underused Electro was rushed and underdeveloped, the story is needlessly bloated and redundant in parts, Paul Giamatti's utterly wastedThe Amazing Spider-Man 2 brings many improvements and flaws to the table. Despite adequate depth given to Harry Osborn by Dane Dehaan, somehow the film managed to never give me a genuine reason to care about his problems. Max Dillon's transition to the underused Electro was rushed and underdeveloped, the story is needlessly bloated and redundant in parts, Paul Giamatti's utterly wasted given two cameos and the ending was cheesy and stupid. As an understatement, TASM2 could've been MUCH MUCH better... Expand
  66. Jun 6, 2014
    I have to be a little hard with this one; because despite my enjoyment this movie has too many flaws...

The acting was superb and the action is very well shoot, the movie in general is very well directed HOWEVER; there is just a general lack of focus in the general movie, it's trying to hard to squeeze every inch of spider-man lore and story lines where none are needed resulting in an over crowded movie that is just way too much for it's own good...

Again, in my opinion the movie is good... is just that it becomes too much and the general level of quality suffers for it...
  67. May 15, 2014
    You know i thought we were past these types of superhero films but i guess not. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 sends us back the early to middle 2000's with LOADS of corny scenes also the film is riddled with cliche's almost to a point were its unbearable. I actually waited in line to see this movie and man what a waste of time that was thinking about it now. Ill be honest here and say that iYou know i thought we were past these types of superhero films but i guess not. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 sends us back the early to middle 2000's with LOADS of corny scenes also the film is riddled with cliche's almost to a point were its unbearable. I actually waited in line to see this movie and man what a waste of time that was thinking about it now. Ill be honest here and say that i never really cared for any of the Spider-Man movies other then "Spider-Man" and that's because it had Willem Dafoe in it.

The Amazing Spider-Man was a decent movie overall though it was very underwhelming but The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is just a flat out disappointment. The biggest problem i have with the movie was the Peter Parker, Gwen Stacy story arc it was a majority of the film. I understand that it was need with how the story ends up playing out with Gwen dying but seriously there were so many scenes with that BS that i started to look away from the screen. Another big problem i had with the movie was the CGI the opening car chase scene with Spider-Man trying to catch all the plutonium was beyond crappy looking at that moment both me and my friend looked at each other and shook our heads with a Budget of 200-250 million the CGI should not have been a problem.

Jamie Foxx as Electro was average i was expecting more but his character was so bland and cliched oh hey a loser guy in real life that adores a super hero ends up getting powers of his own then turns evil and despises his once idol. It's lazy writing like that which pisses me off how about come up with something new oh no we cant have that now can we. I really like Dane DeHaan so i was excited to see that he was going to be in this movie i knew that he was going to do a good Harry Osborn again i was wrong they made his character into such a rich cry baby with daddy issues that whines if he doesn't get his way so i was disappointed with his role.

Overall i give it a 5.5 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 sets up for things to come in the Spider-Man universe rather then trying to make a grounded more likable movie. I might give it another watch when its out on blu ray. Marc Webb, Roberto Orci, and Alex Kurtzman straight F***ed this movie nothing more to say
  68. May 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A problem with these new Spider-Man films is the sense that we’ve gone through all of this before. Sure, the sets and the actors are different, but everything is played out on screen exactly the way it was ten years ago. With the open-ended conclusion of Spider-Man 3 still fresh in our minds, this retelling of a story we’ve already heard reminds us what the future probably holds for superhero movies; a series of reboots with unsatisfying conclusions when the franchise loses steam.

Criticism aside, Harry’s arc here is different. He suffers from a debilitating genetic disease, and the anger at Spider-Man is not due to the death of Norman Osborn at the webslinger’s hands (this Harry hated the guy), but because Spider-Man refuses to contribute his unique DNA to the project.

I am a James Franco fan, but the new guy (Dane DeHaan) gives a compelling performance. He’s great as a troubled rich kid, who’s just inherited the company and has to deal with the sneering disapproval of his board of directors. His complete absence from the first film is a little jarring when he’s supposed to be one of Peter Parker’s oldest and dearest friends: ‘Hey dude, it’s me, Harry, remember? That guy who you haven’t seen in ten years? Remember the good times? Yeah, the good times were good, weren’t they buddy?’ Remember that good old Franco was there from the beginning.

Harry does get one of the most satisfying moments in the film though – a brilliant comeuppance (albeit temporary) for the corrupt corporate executive who ousted him from control of Oscorp. Harry’s set up as a villain, but he’s one of the most sympathetic characters in the film, certainly more so than the main villain, Electro (Jamie Foxx).

Electro started life as a downtrodden and introverted technician at Oscorp, who was given electrical superpowers in a freak accident. Oscorp’s definitely the place to start hanging around if you want something to give you superpowers. He teams up with Harry, whom he sees as a kindred spirit, I guess, and while it’s hugely satisfying to see him calling the shots for once, after all the trouble everyone’s been giving him, he does act a little creepily in his spare time, and has a misguided sense of what the world owes him.

Foxx does well, although it’s not as compelling a performance as some of the highlights of his career (Collateral, Miami Vice, Law Abiding Citizen, Django Unchained, he’s had quite a ride, and I haven’t seen all of his movies. It’s a shame I missed White House Down, but I digress). To be honest, you can barely tell who’s playing the character once the accident turns him into a computer-generated cloud of sparks.

The final fight with Electro, amongst the transformers of a high-tech power station massively over-exploits the contrast between orange and blue which is used so often in film, especially in posters, to the extent that it’s become a cliché. Here, they’re almost the only two colours on screen. The soundtrack during this fight however, is really inspired; a rock and dubstep influenced score with a huge, satisfying power chord echoing through the cinema every time Electro destroys a transformer. He even teases Spider-Man by using this musical ability to play The Itsy Bitsy Spider.

While I’ve waxed about how the ‘new’ Spider-Man is just like its predecessors, I haven’t touched much on the differences. They’ve drawn fresh villains from the existing rogues’ gallery, so that all five Spider-Man films pitch the titular hero against a unique villain, the one exception being Harry Osborn’s goblin. His appearance immediately after the fight with Electro does feel a little tacked on; Sam Raimi’s trilogy spread the Osborn arc over three movies, with Harry’s vengeance bubbling in the background for quite some time.

Andrew Garfield is a more self assured Spider-Man than Tobey Maguire was, at least at first. He approaches crime fighting with a teenager’s light-hearted humour, frequently improvising and dropping mid-fight wisecracks. There’s a great moment when he disappears for a few moments and then blasts Electro out of the sky with a fireman’s hose – when the camera cuts to Spidey, he’s wearing a fireman’s helmet.

There’s a lot going on in this film – in addition to everything I’ve mentioned, there’s a clock tower, an abandoned subway station, eels, a mental asylum complete with evil scientist, and one of those investigative walls of crazy where keywords are drawn on post-it notes and everything is connected by lengths of red string.

There’s also a romance in there somewhere – Gwen Stacey (Emma Stone) and the dilemma of the promise that Spider-Man made to her late father are at the forefront of Peter Parker’s human dilemma. It’s got problems, but this is mainly baggage associated with the superhero/reboot/sequel world the film inhabits. Treat it as a standalone piece of work, and it’s still a decent film, and I forgive it everything for the director being named Marc Webb. That’s got to be providence.
  69. Jul 14, 2014
    Bad script, poor dialogue, yet ‘amazing’ visuals strengthened with solid acting, The Amazing Spider Man 2 lives down expectations with a scattershot storyline, an overabundance of villains, and a pace far to fast for viewers to enjoy.
  70. Jul 27, 2014
    Too tacky, over the top and way too much use of special effects and slow motion with bad one liners and clichés. Too much is going on and the movie felt pretty pointless yet quite entertaining. Very "americanized" all over.

Genre could be: Adventure, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Drama, Romance, Comedy. I'm not overly satisfied with the movie.
  71. Jun 25, 2014
    The amount of detail put into this film is incredible, whether it be a simple photograph of Gwen and Peter to the complex intricacy of the web-shooters. The draw back is the over saturated plot and clear merchandizing moments, as they are a plenty. Peter Parker loves Gwen, but is torn in his duties as Spider-Man, this probably should either have been the real focus of the film or it shouldThe amount of detail put into this film is incredible, whether it be a simple photograph of Gwen and Peter to the complex intricacy of the web-shooters. The draw back is the over saturated plot and clear merchandizing moments, as they are a plenty. Peter Parker loves Gwen, but is torn in his duties as Spider-Man, this probably should either have been the real focus of the film or it should have been about the villain army master scheme. Both seem to be too much for this one film to handle. Expand
  72. May 25, 2014
    I was a very underwhelmed by this movie, the story was kinda weird and half of the movie was about Gwen and Peters relationship. Electro was done wrong and wasn't that good a villian, he just didn't seem to intimidate unlike other comic book villians like Magneto, The Joker, Loki and Zod in their respective movies. I had no problems with the Green Goblin but The Rhino was just a mess, heI was a very underwhelmed by this movie, the story was kinda weird and half of the movie was about Gwen and Peters relationship. Electro was done wrong and wasn't that good a villian, he just didn't seem to intimidate unlike other comic book villians like Magneto, The Joker, Loki and Zod in their respective movies. I had no problems with the Green Goblin but The Rhino was just a mess, he was portrayed wrong and was slapped in the movie for no reason and played no role important to the story. But, the action scenes were awesome and the humor was pretty good too. Overall it was an average movie and i wasn't a huge fan. 5/10 Expand
  73. May 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't even know where to begin with this. I love the relationship between Gwen and Spider-Man, and I love to hate Andrew Garfield, but it's so hard to dislike him when he's such a personable superhero that saves a kid from bullying. He's so good, but he's so cocky, and it makes the mixed reactions from the movie's city seem so convincing.

However, when he ties Spider-Man to hope, I just can't help but roll my eyes. Then there is Harry Osborn who I just didn't like in this movie. His voice just grated in my ear, and his turn to evil should have been more gradual. It may have been better to have him slipping and then become the Green Goblin come next movie. Then there is Electro, who is solely driven by need. His beginning is so cliche and he is so one dimension. He just wasn't nearly as epic as the dub step theme he has. Most critics have mentioned this already, but this movie does have some issues with going from funny moments (which are very good) to more emotional moments (which are ruined by the funny moments)

I do like the twist that reveals that the radioactive spider only worked for Peter cause of his dad's DNA being implanted.

I have mixed emotions about the movie, and overall it is skippable, but at the same time, I wouldn't recommend skipping it.
  74. Jun 30, 2014
    I saw this a while ago. It was way better than the first Amazing Spiderman. Some elements are better than the first 4. Some elements are not. I still hate it when everyone knows each other or are closely related in some way, even though they are all on different sides. Electro is a decent character, but way to cliché and too easy to defeat. I hated the ending and if this is theI saw this a while ago. It was way better than the first Amazing Spiderman. Some elements are better than the first 4. Some elements are not. I still hate it when everyone knows each other or are closely related in some way, even though they are all on different sides. Electro is a decent character, but way to cliché and too easy to defeat. I hated the ending and if this is the direction of the next film, I will be very negative. This movie does a decent job following the father thread from the first movie, but I did not care for it.

This is entertaining and a decent action hero movie. 6 is a nice decent score for it. Not a movie you will fall in love with or remember
  75. chw
    Apr 10, 2015
    The acting is terrible in the movie. Jamie Foxx was a three-time Oscar nominee, I believe, and he wasted his career away in this. The other actors as well, but luckily, Emma Stone got away, and eventually got nominated for Birdman. The acting was the biggest problem. There are others, such as plot, and how they have a villain in for 90 minutes, another for 10, and another for 5. A terribleThe acting is terrible in the movie. Jamie Foxx was a three-time Oscar nominee, I believe, and he wasted his career away in this. The other actors as well, but luckily, Emma Stone got away, and eventually got nominated for Birdman. The acting was the biggest problem. There are others, such as plot, and how they have a villain in for 90 minutes, another for 10, and another for 5. A terrible way to get ready for the Sinister Six. Expand
  76. May 23, 2014
    A film that has multiple plot points frankensteined with excessive fan-service that would make the Avengers franchise blush. The acting is also mixed at best. Despite this, Amazing Spider-man entertains with it's characters and and exciting action sequences.

(The electronic score by Hans Zimmer is also a plus.)
  77. May 20, 2014
    For the most part I have to agree with the critics on this one. Sure the visual effects are top notch, and Andrew Garfield does play a convincing Spiderman, But the story is very stale. This feels like another basic superhero movie with nothing to expand in the world of Spiderman. That and the on-again off-again relationship between Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy is very confusing. AlsoFor the most part I have to agree with the critics on this one. Sure the visual effects are top notch, and Andrew Garfield does play a convincing Spiderman, But the story is very stale. This feels like another basic superhero movie with nothing to expand in the world of Spiderman. That and the on-again off-again relationship between Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy is very confusing. Also would it kill this movie to just stick with one super villain, I mean I love green goblin as much as the next guy but introducing him like 45 and minutes into the movie was a bad directors choice. And having rhino at the beginning and the and just gives us a hint for the amazing Spiderman three. Overall this was a very confusing movie that the Spiderman franchise could've gone with out. Expand
  78. May 21, 2014
    Peter Parker has so much baggage – and it is baggage that drags – I don’t know how he has time to do his homework, let alone fight crime, yet he does. And when I read the whopping 142-minute runtime in advance of the film, I thought that was a little bloated, but it turns out to be not enough for everything director Marc Webb wants to achieve. I’m not suggesting the film should have beenPeter Parker has so much baggage – and it is baggage that drags – I don’t know how he has time to do his homework, let alone fight crime, yet he does. And when I read the whopping 142-minute runtime in advance of the film, I thought that was a little bloated, but it turns out to be not enough for everything director Marc Webb wants to achieve. I’m not suggesting the film should have been longer, I’m suggesting Webb should have tried to do more with less instead of trying to do too much at all. Expand
  79. Dec 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. *POTENTIAL SPOILERS, IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THIS MOVIE, PLEASE LOOK AWAY*

This it, guys. One of the most controversial movies of 2014, and the one that I was more hyped for: The Amazing Spider-Man 2. Let's be clear, I was immensely excited for this super-hero flick. I'm a Spider-Man fanatic, I simply idolize this lovable character. I watched cartoons when I was younger, I had toys (and I still have some but I don't use them anymore). I read some comic books, my favorite one was always the Ultimate version. It was more realistic and it was darker, and that's why I found it to be pretty enjoyable to read. The new Spider-Man series - Amazing Spider-Man - are based off of that version. "The Amazing Spider-Man" featured an appealingly dark tone, which I loved very much. Some people said that the filmmakers "nolanised" the film, just because it's dark. That's just absurd. So Nolan is the only person who has legitimate reason to attach a dark atmosphere into a live-action movie? No, it's not a rip off of Batman trilogy, because while Batman fights crime without making jokes, Spider-Man in these new movies does the exact opposite. Anyways, the film was still pretty good and allowed director Marc Webb to learn some techniques in filmmaking, since the guy has a small track record (only 3 movies, if I'm not mistaken). Man, I was blown away by his directing. Every shot is handed carefully and he seems to understand what the characters are and what they're going to be. That led to the success of the first movie, and after that, I was really looking forward to its sequel. Oh man, what a disappointment. Before I saw the film, I subscribed to a YouTube channel named "SevenWebHeads", which purpose was to literally give latest news about the webslinger and other cool stuff. With each video, I was getting hyped for the film, and more, and more, and even more... until I saw the movie with my friend. Oh my god, I was thrilled. The first time I saw the film I was thrilled and confused at the same time, and I'll explain why I was. Thrilled, because the movie is awesome when it comes to action sequences and special effects. Confused, because the plot of "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" is overstuffed with characters and story arcs. Though I really liked the film and I initially gave it a 9/10. I saw the score on Rotten Tomatoes website drop significantly, until it became a rotten score and I was like shocked. I mean, really? Then I saw the movie multiple times, until I realized that the movie was not that good... unfortunately. However, I don't think it's bad. My god, people really like to jump on the bandwagon and complain about everything. I mean, just because Spider-Man is not in Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) doesn't mean you have to automatically hate this installment and bash it. Some people say that it was terrible. It wasn't terrible, in my opinion. It was decent! Some many youtubers like Mr. Repzion, Yourmoviesucks.DOTorg, and some others hated it and nitpicked the movie to death. I don't judge them because they disliked the movie. I only ask: What is so wrong about this movie? Sure, the story could've been a lot better, some characters were just in the movie to... I don't know their purpose seriously. If Black Cat was mentioned in the newspaper (pretty much like Jameson), that would've been great and it would have spared a character. I mean, what Felicia Hardy is doing in the film. Seriously? She's there because... ah... because...... I don't know, seriously. I think they wanted to tease the upcoming installments, but it was so unnecessary. With that being said, yes, the movie has a lot of flaws and writing issues, but there's also some redeeming qualities attached to it like for instance, the cast is phenomenal.

Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone are so cute together, they have such great chemistry, but that's not only because they're dating in real life but because these actors know how to perform. In the scene when Gwen Stacy dies, Garfield gives such powerful performance in that scene, making me feel sad for both characters. And Chris Cooper also has some screen time has Norman Osborn and I simply love Dane Dehaan in this movie. Another good thing about this movie is Spider-Man himself. He's much more confident with his abilities than he was in the first movie, he now makes little quips (even if they were unnecessary to the context of the scene) and he's even more agile Now, the action. When I first saw the movie, right in the beginning of it, in the chase scene, I felt like I was watching the classic Spider-Man cartoon and that was just awesome.

Final Score to The Amazing Spider-Man 2: 6/10. This movie isn't half bad. Sure, there's overabundance of characters and subplots, too much product placement and a bloated runtime, but overall, it was pretty enjoyable and even if the movie didn't fulfill your expectations, at least you have to give credit for Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone performances.
  80. May 13, 2014
    Spectacular acting and good chemistry along with well plotted action scenes that bring Spider Man to life are marred by cliches, painfully slow moments and a cluttered plot. Spider Man 2 is a great film if you feel like action, but there are huge gaps which will put you to sleep. While the film was a daunting task to put Harry Osborn in the story as well as character development for GwenSpectacular acting and good chemistry along with well plotted action scenes that bring Spider Man to life are marred by cliches, painfully slow moments and a cluttered plot. Spider Man 2 is a great film if you feel like action, but there are huge gaps which will put you to sleep. While the film was a daunting task to put Harry Osborn in the story as well as character development for Gwen Stacy, Max Dillon, and Aunt May, it could have been better in a few respects. Expand
  81. May 10, 2014
    I just saw The Amazing Spider Man 2, and it was what I expected, another Amazing Spider Man movie that is nowhere near the quality of the Raimi films. I thought it was ok. It was a bit better than the first Amazing Spider Man but only just. I could where the reviewers were coming from when they said that it was filled with references that were only put in so that they could set up the plotI just saw The Amazing Spider Man 2, and it was what I expected, another Amazing Spider Man movie that is nowhere near the quality of the Raimi films. I thought it was ok. It was a bit better than the first Amazing Spider Man but only just. I could where the reviewers were coming from when they said that it was filled with references that were only put in so that they could set up the plot for The Sinister Six Movie. I think is what ruined the ending a bit for me. I thought it had a strong scene towards the end which I won't spoil but then after that it was another 10 minutes and then it actually ended with spider man about to defeat the rhino, but believe me I ain't spoiling the ending by saying that. I should also add that Paul Giamatti was crap in this and I'm glad he was only in it for about four minutes. Electro was pretty underused, if they had based the film more on him, I think it may have turned out to be way more enjoyable but he ended up just being a minion for Harry Osborn , who looks so stupid in the brief moments that he's Green Goblin in this. Overall, a film that you can clearly see could have been a really good installment in the franchise but is dragged down by Some terrible jokes, plot set ups and the rhino with machine guns. If you want to see a good Marvel movie right, you have to see Winter Soldier. Hopefully it's still showing in your local cinema as it is way better than this mess. Expand
  82. May 6, 2014
    This is not a good movie, it is really nice to see Spider-man better than never, the music is great, but it is not a really good movie. If you enjoy what those happy movies, that you leave the movie theater smiling, you will enjoy this movie!
  83. May 16, 2014
    Don't get me wrong the graphics and the way editing technology has been used for this movie is great but the movie JUST BORED ME. I know the views have been mostly positive but the movie seemed to drag on for too long, also the end scene with the rhino fight I fought was the WORST CLIFFHANGER ever even though they show that scene in the trailer I find that element misleading. The trailerDon't get me wrong the graphics and the way editing technology has been used for this movie is great but the movie JUST BORED ME. I know the views have been mostly positive but the movie seemed to drag on for too long, also the end scene with the rhino fight I fought was the WORST CLIFFHANGER ever even though they show that scene in the trailer I find that element misleading. The trailer looked amazing so I went to go and watch the movie but I was too disappointed and considering leaving at many points of the film. I have to say this is the worst Spiderman movie made so far I think although this is MY OPINION. Many of my friends have said they enjoyed it but I just could not see why. I would not recommend this movie a waste of time and money. Expand
  84. May 16, 2014
    Can someone please pay-off Sony and get the rights back to Marvel? Sony is killing Spidey, and I'm just dreading the day I'm not even the slightest bit interested in the next Spiderman movie, which is fast approaching if Avi Arad has anything to do with it. Don't get me wrong -- Andrew Garfield is perfect. He was a great choice. But let's give him better material. This movie has threeCan someone please pay-off Sony and get the rights back to Marvel? Sony is killing Spidey, and I'm just dreading the day I'm not even the slightest bit interested in the next Spiderman movie, which is fast approaching if Avi Arad has anything to do with it. Don't get me wrong -- Andrew Garfield is perfect. He was a great choice. But let's give him better material. This movie has three villains, played by three talented actors. And yet they all sucked. And wasn't the whole underlying point of this film just a rehash of the first one? i.e. if some crazed psycho wants to kill you, your preppy girlfriend is not the ideal choice of sidekick. In fact, it's better if he doesn't know about her at all, don't you think? Expand
  85. May 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really didn't know what to think of this movie it was poorly edited, the villains were cramped in and the story started out alright but then was just rushed for the latter part of the film and i predicted everything in this film. But there was some light, the acting, the only good part of the movie, Garfield suited Spider-Man and played Parker well, Emma Stone was great but Paul Giamatti as Rhino, the wrong decision, he was only on screen for a few minutes as rhino and he really did not suit the part i was almost laughing just at how over the top he was making the rhino look, so i feel someone else would have better suited the role of Rhino. Anyway, moving along the foreshadowing seen in one scene later in the film revealed that we may see the sinister six in the next installment of the Amazing Spider-Man series- i really do hope they go along with this. Anyway on to the negative aspects of the film- the editing, horrible the film was so jumbled it was making the editing from Dead Man Down look good. There would be an action scene and then it would flick to an out of the place scene not serving any story or actually anything purposeful. And now the story- the most predictable story ever, there was no surprises- NONE, i was bored when there wasn't action and even then some action scenes were just poorly written. And now finally the extremely strange scene where Spider-Man shoots a web which has a hand at the end of it, there is some symbolism here (as he just about to save someone and it is as if he is reaching out for them, and lending his hand- stupid because Spider-Man is a superhero, and i would expect this from a superhero)but this scene is just pointless, stupid and actually a bit embarrassing and it really did ruin the movie for me. To conclude the movie had limited ups and some good moments but for the most part it was a pile of predictable junk. 6/10 Expand
  86. DCS
    May 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I like Spider-Man, just not this one. To open the movie with a villain ramming and running over cars, which would cause death and destruction to their drivers, Our "Hero" cracks jokes and does very little to actually stop the vehicle. Aquick webbing of the driver would have saved lives. However the director thought we needed EXCESSIVE comic relief. The COMIC relief never stops. The body language of the "Hero" is just goofy. I will never get the image of the "Hero" walking around out of my mind. When he does all I can see is a CLOWN walking around in swim fins. Another point to be made is how to continuously make a kiss shared by a couple, that is so in love, look awkward. They are a couple in REAL LIFE, they know how to kiss. By the end of the movie I just wanted him to go away and villainy to win. I am sad for Stan Lee and what Sony has done. Be Strong Stan Lee, someone will save the image of Spider-Man and make him a believable hero again. Expand
  87. May 22, 2014
    You know what? I don't know what to say about this movie, because it's not BAD, it's strange. First,i don't want to spoiler anything, i'll just say that kids won't like this movie. It happens a thing really traumatizing about one of the main character. Some of the kids went out the cinema after that scene. And second, in the trailer is a fake: some scenes of the trailer aren't in the movieYou know what? I don't know what to say about this movie, because it's not BAD, it's strange. First,i don't want to spoiler anything, i'll just say that kids won't like this movie. It happens a thing really traumatizing about one of the main character. Some of the kids went out the cinema after that scene. And second, in the trailer is a fake: some scenes of the trailer aren't in the movie and that really disappointed me. Also the villains aren't cool or bad at all. And there are a lot of mistakes in the storyline. But the reasons that made me hate this movie are all the cliches like the german mad scientist. Really, a german mad scientist. Expand
  88. May 23, 2014
    It is a visually beautiful film, but only that. The film errs in the choice of villains and their motivations, which are futile and nothing plausible. Here is not seen the true essence of the hero, and gives me the guarantee of a better future with Spider Man.
  89. May 17, 2015
    Good film, stunning special effects, the relationship between Gwen Stacy and Peter Parker is great, but the film has some script failures, and does not show many responsibilities and consequences of Spider Man, and the villains are also not very interesting.
  90. Jun 3, 2014
    I thought this movie was very good but also very stupid. The villains worked OK but the development was horrible and there were some ridiculous moments that you really have to bear with especially at the end. (does spider man NOT know CPR?) I found it difficult to determine weather I really liked this movie or didn't like it. There are definitely places they could have done a much betterI thought this movie was very good but also very stupid. The villains worked OK but the development was horrible and there were some ridiculous moments that you really have to bear with especially at the end. (does spider man NOT know CPR?) I found it difficult to determine weather I really liked this movie or didn't like it. There are definitely places they could have done a much better job such as developing the villains which I mentioned earlier. Expand
  91. Mar 27, 2015
    It made the same mistake like "Spider-man 3": too many villains. Now that's just one of many things that are wrong about "The Amazing Spider-man 2". The script is boring, most of the time you can guess what'll happen next, and then the way it develops the characters is even more unwelcome than its humor.
  92. Jun 22, 2014
    I am a big fan of superhero films and I felt The Amazing Spiderman was a decent reboot so I was looking forward to the sequel.The trailer made it look brilliant but when I watched the film I became a little sceptical. The script was good and the CGI was mesmerizing. Jamie Foxx did a good job of getting the audience to empathize with Max Dillon a social outcast. Furthermore Dane DeHaan wasI am a big fan of superhero films and I felt The Amazing Spiderman was a decent reboot so I was looking forward to the sequel.The trailer made it look brilliant but when I watched the film I became a little sceptical. The script was good and the CGI was mesmerizing. Jamie Foxx did a good job of getting the audience to empathize with Max Dillon a social outcast. Furthermore Dane DeHaan was brilliant as Harry Osborne. But there were negatives. I felt that for a superhero film the key thing it lacked that every superhero film has is action. There were barely any fight scenes between Spiderman and the villains. Leading on from that point I have to say that in the first film I really got into the Peter/Gwen relationship but in this film I didn't connect with it at all and when it came to her death scene I was actually rooting for her to die, I feel that there was to much focus on this relationship and so it became boring.I felt that despite Dane DeHaan's great performance there wasn't enough of the Green Goblin. he is one of Spidermans greatest villains and he barely got five minutes also I was looking forward to seeing Rhino and he got even less time. Overall the acting and the script were good but the story didn't give off the superhero vibe as there was a lack of focus on the villains but still a decent film. Expand
  93. Aug 31, 2014
    The critics are not far off with this movie. The sequel to the reboot "The Amazing Spider-Man" is a messy film. The script is all over the place, and we are introduced to characters who we are supposed to sympathize with but they are never given the screen time or development to grow, Andrew Garfield is a "meh" Peter Parker, and as the story progresses it gets more predictable and manyThe critics are not far off with this movie. The sequel to the reboot "The Amazing Spider-Man" is a messy film. The script is all over the place, and we are introduced to characters who we are supposed to sympathize with but they are never given the screen time or development to grow, Andrew Garfield is a "meh" Peter Parker, and as the story progresses it gets more predictable and many dumb scenes later all the excitement just turns to bore and you just want it to end. Expand
  94. Sep 1, 2014
    This Movie did not entirely go along its title so no it wasn't absolutely amazing so to say. I respect how they are trying to differ from the original trilogy by not remaking the same movie thrice, But this is extremely weak especially the villain how they underplayed electro and though green goblin comes towards the end he is not enough of saving grace.The scene which is exactly borrowedThis Movie did not entirely go along its title so no it wasn't absolutely amazing so to say. I respect how they are trying to differ from the original trilogy by not remaking the same movie thrice, But this is extremely weak especially the villain how they underplayed electro and though green goblin comes towards the end he is not enough of saving grace.The scene which is exactly borrowed from the comics involving gwen's death was great.Apart from that i have said it before and ill say it again ANDREW GARFIELD is Awesome as spiderman Expand
  95. Jul 26, 2014
    Long time fan of Spider-man, as a kid I only bought Spider-man, Transformers and Mask comics. I enjoyed the three Raimi films, third one perhaps not so much.

I'm not quite why there's all these high scores for this film? I'm all for everyone having their own opinions and so on, but this film is a turkey. I've given it a 4 for some great special effects, however the rest of the film has issues. The script is horrible, I can't take to Garfield as Peter Parker I actually find his Peter to be irritating. The story is all so inconsistent too, he saves Jamie Foxx's character but not the driver of the taxi or the drivers of the vehicles being hit, crushed or destroyed. We're only in in the first what ten minutes here. The pacing is way off, I actually turned it off just after Harry's change as I was so bored. It felt like I'd been watching for hours, my wife even went to bed about 30 minutes in. Actually I haven't wrote a review of the first "Amazing Spider-man" but if I did I would repeat myself quite a bit!

Must do better, really need to get all Marvel characters back under one movie making roof.
  96. Aug 2, 2014
    This sequel' impressive CGI and decent acting cannot outshine a pretty weak and pointless plot. A lot cheesier than its predecessor, it feels like more a videogame than a film that has to say something. "The Amazing Spider-Man" was praiseworthy for its freshness, this one is fresh too but too childish. You will like it if you just fancy something visually spectacular.
  97. Jan 17, 2015
    For a movie about Spider-Man, one of the most beloved superheroes ever, this movie is shockingly clichéd and dull. The dialog is awkward and not particularly well-written, and the plot was a jumbled mess of villains, action sequences, and secondary characters you couldn't care less about. The score would be lower if not for an emotional moment towards the end.

5.4/10
  98. Aug 15, 2014
    Another superhero movie that juggled too much , none of the villians had the competency that they all deserve , Electro was poorly done , and the film struggled to stick to one genre.
  99. Aug 29, 2014
    I wasn't as impressed as I was looking to be. It's only getting harder and harder to make good superhero films these days and I just couldn't find a good hook in this one. There's a particular feel that the Spider-man has and I felt like he was delivered as well as he could have been but the other acting performances and weak plot and subplots just watered down that feel. Problems startedI wasn't as impressed as I was looking to be. It's only getting harder and harder to make good superhero films these days and I just couldn't find a good hook in this one. There's a particular feel that the Spider-man has and I felt like he was delivered as well as he could have been but the other acting performances and weak plot and subplots just watered down that feel. Problems started popping up that beg the question why they bothered to reboot this superhero. What's the point of Rhino? How come Jamie Foxx's character has a way weird and awkward personality then just magically becomes BA after he gets superpowers. (Okay common issue in many superhero films but that doesn't change the lack of development in the villains.) The boyfriend, girlfriend, just friends, fluctuations were just too labored and plain wasted time. I mean estrogen much? That being said, I liked Emma Stone. I felt like she stepped into her character nicely but they totally had to ruin that didn't they. This movie isn't a total loss, its worth a watch or two at best. Expand
  100. Sep 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A mostly underwhelming sequel which shoehorns two villains in with literally no development, the character of Max becomes the villain electro in a way that makes no sense even in terms of super hero movies with such trivial motivations he is immediately unbelievable as a character. Il give the movie credit for actually having the balls to kill off the love interest which results in a pretty emotional scene. Acting is pretty good from everyone involved, but overall the movie left a lot to be desired. If they can't even develop one villain I dread to think what will happen in the sequel when they squeeze as many as they can in. Expand

Bloated and often boring and has absolutely no reason to exist, but that it also hits its marks. No fanboy will pass it up. No studio head will lose his or her job.
  2. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    May 1, 2014
    The movie feels not only calculated but tired.
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Mohan
    May 1, 2014
    ASM 2 makes too many of the same mistakes that have brought other superhero movies low (including Sam Raimi's "Spider-Man 3"). It tries to pack in too many characters and plot lines, for one.