7.1

1. May 2, 2014
    THIS MOVIE WAS AMAZING ! Once again the critics are so far way off base as you will find out when thousands of people flock the the big screen on Friday nite. top notch story line, off the hook effects that will blow you out of your seat and wanting more which you will get, acting was superb and the ending was asum and did not leave you hanging like most movies. So satisifing that I would compair it to an orgasum. You will gasp, you will laugh, you will cry, it has it all and all at the right moment. Your fingers and toes will hurt when you leave the theater because its a white knuckle ride from start to finish. Dont leave right after the movie, there is a surprize clip. Im going to go and see it again tomorrow nite { Friday Night } in a packed house. I went to midnight showing on Thursday and there were about 50 people in the theater, people have to work on Friday and can't function on 3 hours of sleep, thats why it was not packed. But all 50 of us were clapping and cheering hard at the end. And nothing but positive comments. Cant wait to see the next one. CRITICS...PLEASE GET A DAY JOB AND LET US REAL PEOPLE WRITE THE REVIEWS !!!!! Best movie of the year and will be very hard to beat. Trust me...GO SEE THIS MOVIE, IT IS A MUST SEE MOVIE. Not to mention it is a touching, motivating and inspiring movie. Captain America did not even come close to SM2. P.S. Check out the user review that begins with { Lamo } and gave this movie a rating of 3. Then think about why his user name begins with Lamo. Cause his review was LAMO. But we all have a right to score how we wish. Just dont pay no attention to that review. Doesn't even seem like he saw the right movie at all or was watching Captain America which I found to be bland and would give Captain America about a 5 or 6 at most. Expand
  2. May 2, 2014
    It's just so bland and boring.... the film lacks a pulse. There was one genuinely heart-felt moment toward the very end of the film that got me, but the rest? Very blah. The second Captain America film was a thousand times better than this film. The chemistry between the two leads is meager, the bad guys don't inspire fear like those in the the Dark Knight series - not even close. You can't even put those two franchises in the same paragraph. I was a HUGE Spider-Man fan as a kid - what a shame that they can't make a good movie for this character. (Or a good video game, for that matter.) Expand
  3. May 2, 2014
    Amazing! Great build-up for at least another two movies, as we all know. A great act of an epic saga. This Film has character-depth, character-development, an awesome score and an absolutely epic feeling in 3D.
  4. May 2, 2014
    EPIC from start to finish!! Don't listen to the critics saying that these movies shouldn't exist. Who cares that it has not been that long since the original trilogy? Marc Webb is doing an awesome job with Spider-Man and this one left me wanting more!! It's a must see in IMAX 3D!!
  5. May 3, 2014
    I'm really sad for Marc Webb he's been more and more disappointing since his romantic flick '500 days of summer'. In 'The amazing Spider-Man 2' there's a lot of plot holes and the characters don't feel like they've been developed properly. The movie force-feed information that aren't even required for the plot to advance. It feels like the movie has been rushed and is overly complicated as it lose itself in explosions, electricity and cgi. Expand
  6. May 2, 2014
    An 'AmazinG' 3D film thanks to its spectacular visual effects and production, such as production design, editing and sound. I really enjoyed The Amazing Spider-man 2. I liked the fact that its mood wasn't too serious and dark in comparison to the other Marvel films, even though, it has its serious and emotive moments. I also liked the chemistry between Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone. It was fun watching them together. In my opinion, this film made me remember the firsts Superman films. There was certain kind of mood in the characters and situations that took me to those ones, which is something that I liked from this one. And finally, I think Marc Webb made a good job, I personally liked some cute and interesting shots. I recommend it in 3D. Expand
  7. May 2, 2014
    Amazing pretty much says it all. I've seen the 1st Amazing Spider-Man about 20 times because of how well landed the characters were... with deeply rooted story. All the back story is pretty much the 1st film, Amazing Spider-Man 2 picks up were the first film ended (Maybe with a couple days gone by.) (don't worry no spoilers here.) Also no matter what age you are, I can honestly say you'll love this film. A great deal of love is well woven into the (well-written) story. 100% A+ 10/10 Expand
  8. May 2, 2014
    This film is just boring and much too long, characters are ridiculusly overdrawn, gwen-peter plot is annoying and boring, you will be wanting to kill spiderman long before electro. I never felt so cheated in cinema.
  9. May 2, 2014
    Ludicrous plotting doesn't spoil an otherwise entertaining Marvel adventure,although it isn't as good as the first instalment. This sequel benefits from the continuance of gifted actor Andrew Garfield as the titular character. His ability is almost wasted in such a generic movie. In the past he has demonstrated superlative talent in such powerful dramas as 'Boy A' and 'Red Riding' and one can only hope that he returns to more substantial roles soon.
    What we have here is a known entity which will delight its fan base. A slick package with all the usual components fabulously integrated including out standing visual effects,sharp editing and eye catching cinematography. The film is never dull or boring, although it is slightly drawn out, and the romantic interludes are predictably sweet, if forgettable. It's all very undemanding stuff and the over sensitive may even shed a tear or two. A surprise sequence near the end of the film, involving Emma Stone, is a knockout of a scene.
  10. May 2, 2014
    I just gone done watching the IMAX premiere of "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" and it was SUPERB. I won't put any spoilers in here but it is def the best Spider-Man movie to date. Marc Webb is really coming along in his directing of Spider-Man and did an Amazing job with casting especially casting Dane DeHaan as Harry Osborn or AKA "The Green Goblin" which btw is my favorite villain of all time. Anyways the acting was excellent as well as the story if you pay attention there are a ton of references to a ton of stuff in the universe. The action was top-notch in every way possible it blew the 1st film out of the water in that respect and I can't wait for the next film. In my opinion as an avid Spider-Man fan and not being biased being that Spider-Man is my favorite superhero it is a must see movie hands down!!!!! Expand
  11. May 2, 2014
    If you are a michael bay movie lover and enjoyed star wars episode one for being the entertaining movies you forget about in a couple of days then you will probably like this film. If however you are looking for good consistent story telling along with good character development this may not be the film for you.

Pretty meh overall. The first 22 minutes of the film was done well and so
    was the last 5 minutes but there was too much going on in the film in the middle with too many subplots and not enough character development for you to truly care about any of the characters except maybe harry osboune played by dane dehaan. Expand
  12. May 2, 2014
    AMAZING, SPECTACULAR, EXCITING, ROMANTIC, FUNNY!

This Movie is ALL you need in a Cincecomic! Is pure Spider-Man! For me: the best Spider-Man Movie, despite its small flaws (like every cinecomic), and I loved it! Andrew Gardielf, Emma Stone, Sally Field and Dane DeHaan were great! And the final is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen in a cinecomic movie, really really moving.

Great Movie, great Cinecomic, great Spider-Man!
  13. May 2, 2014
    Sally Field I love you, but the rest of the movie is bringing me down. I feel like if I had no exposure to complex feelings and emotions in my life, I would have enjoyed this film much better. The problem with films like this is that they fail to realize their own shortcomings and act as if they don't exist, then completely overcompensate for their feared lack of identity by throwing in enough noise and wow factor that they hope you forget/cant see past the explosions that 80% of the characters in this film have the depth of a broken shot glass. For real though, what happened to Unchained Jamie Foxx? Rather here we get to endure a humorless version of Bait Jamie Foxx. Yeah, who remembers that s***. Expand
  14. May 2, 2014
    So, I saw this movie last night. It was fantastic. I don't understand these negative reviews, they are completely idiotic in my opinion. The movie has awesome acting/characters/story-telling/action/etc. I absolutely loved this movie. Must see. Truly amazing in my opinion. Spiderman has never been better!
  15. May 2, 2014
    Although it feels like a movie long teaser trailer for the next movie ( Sinister Six ? ) it's still a nice movie... Amazing performances by all the characters and a nice storyline both funny and dramatic... The only thing that bothered me is that the previews and the trailers give you the idea that the movie is going to have three villains and in the end only Electro is the main bad guy....
  16. May 3, 2014
    I really don't understand some critics at times, just like with Man of Steel, I feel the critics went into this movie already prepared to dislike it, this movie does have some problems but most of them stem from personal preference, the tone jumps around a lot, at times it feels really mature and is catering to adults then the next scene something is said or done that makes you feel that it's catering to kids, so at times you get the feeling that this movie suffers from an identity crisis, then u throw in the fact that 1 or 2 of the villains in this movie were simply not needed and that the aspirations of this movie were so huge that they kept throwing things into it that weren't needed... I know it sounds like i'm really down on this movie so here's the surprise...

I LOVED THIS MOVIE... Earlier I said it comes down to personal preference, I didn't mind the change in tone from serious adult movie to catering to kids at times and there was some really cheesy dialog but I can forgive that because this movie was just so darn entertaining, I wanna make one thing clear... Andrew Garfield owns this character of Spider-Man/Peter Parker, regardless of if he's in or out of the suit he is the character from how he loves being spidey, his love for Gwen and his fear of losing her, his relationship with aunt May all the way to how he interacts with the villains, sony needs to sign him to more Spider-Man movies beyond the third, Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone's chemistry on screen almost feels unfair to any other pairing it's so perfect...

Like I said earlier this movie has some problems but I overlooked all of them because for me they were small nitpicks that didn't take away from the overall enjoyment of the film, this movie is the definition of a Summer blockbuster, it's got action, mystery, romance and heartbreak, everything I like about these comic movies so for me... and I don't do this much... it's a 10
  17. May 2, 2014
    Just like the title, the movie is amazing! Despite some creative liberties, the film shows for the first time on film the true spirit of Spider-Man comics. Excellent, will watch again and again and again. Haters are desperate! This is the final film of the spidey!
  18. May 2, 2014
    I can't understand why critics don't like this movie, as the title says, the amazing spider man is amazing! tons of action, the story is very good, the enemies! daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn fantastic!
  19. May 3, 2014
    This movie is awesome, if you are a fan of the comic, you can't miss this one. I feel the critics are out of touch with the fan base for this movie (surprise, surprise). Spider-Man 2 takes some time to build the momentum at the end, but it is to understand why Peter Parker is the why it is, and why his decisions bring heavy consequences. Just like the comic, the movie brings humor, emotions, quality action, awesome enemies and also awesome friends. If you like Spider-Man, if you grew up with Spider-Man like I did, this movie is a no brainer.

TL:DR I love it and I would watch it again and again.
  20. May 2, 2014
    More or less on par with the first movie. Some things are better, somethings are worse, but on the whole they balance out.

The obvious flaw here is the script. Like many have said, it feels like a collection of scenes haphazardly pieced together. This makes the transition from scene to scene feel unnatural.

I was worried that the movie would have villain saturation (like in Spider
    Man 3) but no. Electro was the focus. It is obvious that the other villains are simply put in as a teaser to the Sinister Six movie. Fair enough but that makes one wonder why they got top billing in all the ads and posters? Also, Peter's parents feel needless and that story arch takes up far to much screen time.

Now for the positive: I love Garfield as Spider Man/ Parker, he really does fit the role (even if he is a tad too old.) The action scenes are allot of fun and the effects are first rate. Electro is fantastic and Foxx did an amazing job. Rest of the cast also play their roles well.

Overall:
    Spider-Man 2 feels a bit erratic, but still allot of fun to watch. A bit more post production and sterner script approval was clearly needed and I hope they learn from this and not repeat for the next movies.
  21. May 2, 2014
    The movie is really good, the visual effects are amazing and the plot was good, but Electro had a terrible motivation to be a villain and the best villain of the movie(Green Goblin) had a short screen time.
  22. May 2, 2014
    This movie is what any comic aficionado of the web slinger has been waiting for a long time. Visually astonishing, emotional and exciting. The world building will keep them high on their seat when realizing the possibilities in which this franchise can go. I have to applaud the film score of this movie that is of extreme high quality, memorable.
  23. May 2, 2014
    This movie is flawless and is surprisingly really good, when I saw the score on Metacritic, a 53? I was like all oh man. but their is one thing i learned today, screw Metacritic's score
  24. May 2, 2014
    This movie was amazing. The pace was really good and the villains were freaking awesome. Also Andrew Garfield perfectly fits the role as spiderman and I think he is better than Toby Maguire spiderman
  25. May 2, 2014
    I have been counting down this movie since the day I saw the promo image. I have spent probably nearly $300 on Spider-Man products due to my excitement. I watch all the Spider-Man animated series and can quote the Sam Raimi trilogy from the start of the first movie to the end of the third. So basically, I know my Spider-Man. I have never built up anticipation for a movie like this before. The trailers would give me goosebumps. However, once I started seeing the critics reviews I did begin thinking how the actual film itself would turn out. Here is what I thought: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 has scenes that will make the audience absolutely smile. Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone are impossible to not love as the lead roles, creating very realistic and adorable chemistry. Great performances on their part. The villains however, I have some suggestions for: SLOW DOWN. We are introduced to Max Dillon and he gets about a total of 6 minutes of screen time before transforming into Electro. He needed a longer, more detailed backstory. He and Electro are two completely different people too. I think it would have been great to have Electro come to his senses at the end when he sees that Gwen, the only person who noticed him before he developed his powers, was in trouble. It would have added depth to the character rather than just having a man with super powers, for no real reason, wanting to kill Spider-Man. However, his special effects and physical appearance are always insanely awesome to look at. Paul Giamatti is one of the greatest actors on Earth, but boy was his villain the least threatening thing you have ever seen. The Rhino appears in about 1/300th of the film, however it IS because they were just introducing him to be set up for TASM3. Hopefully he is more threatening then. The final villain, Harry Osborn, had the largest back story, yet ridiculously small Green Goblin screen time. I cannot get too upset because they will be bringing him back as well, but where they messed up is having way too many plot points. We jump from Peter trying to find the truth about his parents, a very emotional scene for him, to seeing him chasing Gwen down before she leaves to England, with no continuity of the research he just did, as if it never happened. There is a lot of tonal whiplash you will get throughout the film... sad scenes to happy to funny to action to romance in very quick pieces of time. This movie either needed to be expanded, or needed to cut possibly Electro's character. He really ended up having no impact on Peter's story or the Spider-Man universe's story as well... He was there then he was gone... no lessons learned, just a bit of damage done to the city (again). Everyone loves Spider-Man because most can connect with him. He also is known for his witty humor, but in this film he cracks jokes at all the wrong times. Super serious life threatening moments are happening to him or those around him and he will crack a quick smart-ass remark. That's one thing that was awesome about Sam Raimi's trilogy, he focused on Spider-Man and Spidey's point of view of things, and how he would react, rather than how Marc Webb focuses on no point of views, he shows us the movie as if we are bystanders in New York watching this random action. Hans Zimmer, however, is some sort of symphonic God. That man creates more classic scores than one can count. Electro's music is awesome, but it was used the whole time Max was talking, not even as Electro yet, which really distracted us from who he is. Max needed some slow, quiet scenes to connect with the audience because that is the kind of character he is. He was a tender, lonely man who wanted to be seen by the world, and in the trailer they did a fairly well job of showing that, but in the movie... eh. Basically not one line from the trailer is in the movie as well by the way. Overall, it was a very enjoyable entertaining movie, awesome action and effects, an IMAX 3D visual spectacular. The filmmakers just need to slow it down, slow down the process, quit focusing on promoting this movie globally and instead work on the film itself. I love Spider-Man, and this one did pack quite a bit of emotion regardless the tonal whiplash, and I will begin counting down for TASM3 now. 768 DAYS! Expand
  26. May 2, 2014
    Loved the film. the pasting was off, the villains were rused and it was more Romantic then action packed, but hey, the film had brilliant acting, a SPECTACULAR soundtrack and more MEMORABLE marvel villains compared 2 most Disney films, im looking at u Iron Man 3, with breath taking moments and the most believable romantic relationship ever presented from a superhero film, Emma stone gives a stunning performance as Gwen Stacy and Garfield is Peter Parker/Spider-Man, he is the closets to Spidy live ever seen from a live action film.

The film is riddled in flaws, yet, the films Pros are almost at par with the faults. Overall i really, really enjoyed the film, probs a bit 2 much, and im Definitely going back 2 see the film again
  27. May 2, 2014
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2 takes necessary risks to keep the franchise fresh. But pacing issues and thinly written villains hold it back from being truly "amazing'.
  28. May 3, 2014
    Andrew Garfield is amazing as spider-man, I like a lot his performance; The special effects are amazing, the soundtrack is great, and the action scenes couldn't be better. The movie is not perfect, but it is good at all, and it exceeded my expectations...
  29. May 2, 2014
    This sequel to The Amazing Spider-Man is bigger and bolder in every way: more villains, more subplots and storylines, more action sequences and CGI, etc. There is a lot riding on this sequel, because after this Sony is planning an Amazing Spider-Man 3 and 4, a Sinister Six film, and a Venom film. Sony is trying to replicate the billions of dollars Disney’s Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) has made, and to do that means a bigger universe and more characters, right? The reviews for this movie have been mixed. This movie has a lot of pressure on it to succeed, and in some people’s opinions that didn’t happen because of the comparisons to the original Sam Raimi trilogy (Spider-Man 2 in particular, and Spider-Man 3 due to the fact that each have 3 villains) and the comic book source material.

The question is: does The Amazing Spider-Man 2 surpass its predecessors? I do like the original movies. I will always have a place for them—I grew up with them as a kid; I once thought Spider-Man 3 was the best movie ever! However, I have re-watched them (I own the entire trilogy on DVD, even Spider-Man 2.1) and I now see they aren’t perfect. I have also reviewed them on Metacritic; so I won’t get so in-depth here. Nostalgia’s a mixed bag, isn’t it?

In my personal opinion, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is better than The Amazing Spider-Man and slightly surpasses the original trilogy. Why do I believe that? Well, it’s honestly because it feels more fun and exciting to ME; the action in the film and the personality of Spider-Man is appealing to ME.
    The cast is great and has improved. Andrew Garfield has done a better job of making Peter more funny and playful now in this second film instead of the jerk and douchebag he was in the first. Gwen and Peter’s relationship in this film is as cute as ever. In real life Andrew and Emma Stone are a couple. And so their on-and-off screen chemistry works out beautifully in my opinion; they are great (even if their relationship is pretty bumpy in the movie). Aunt May shows more emotion.

Now, some will compare this to Spider-Man 3 simply because they each have three villains. But Rhino has a small and minor role in this film; he is only in the film for a total of 5 or 6 minutes, including without his mech-suit. So he almost doesn’t count, and that leaves Electro and the Green Goblin. I personally liked both but both are a bit rushed. Dane DeHaan is a great Harry Osborn: he’s charismatic, gives depth to the character, and delivers a level of anger and sorrow I haven’t seen in him before. I think he wouldn’t have felt so rushed if he had been introduced in the first film. Max Dillon’s transformation from Spider-Man-obsessed, electrical worker nobody to super-powerful super-villain is done OK. However, his reasons of hatred toward Spider-Man are a bit weak. The trio of villains could’ve had more screentime as their alter-egos, and I think there should’ve been more of a bigger fight between them and Spider-Man. Electro wasn’t used to his full potential, and neither was the Green Goblin. (Maybe we’ll see more in TASM 3 or the Sinister Six?) Both of these classic villains had a change in design, but I still like their look; I honestly never had a problem with it. The new films might not be the most faithful to the comics, but things change. I understand that hardcore fans might be upset, but in Hollywood movies adaptations often stray a bit from the source material. I have accepted this change. The CGI and color palette from the trailers, featurettes, TV spots, etc., has definitely improved (As an example, that one scene where Spider-Man hits the Rhino with a sewer lid—the background that was bright blue against an orange explosion has improved, darker, and more realistic colors.)

The whole movie moves too quick from scene to scene. Villains weren’t used to full potential. The movie relies too heavily on bait/teases for future films. It’s like an ad, for an ad, for an ad. It feels less like a movie and more like a chapter in a book. His greatest battle? His greatest battle so far! However, all things considered, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a good movie, yet flawed. I hope if you disagree with me that this detailed review at least explains well enough my point of view.

If you liked this in-depth review, please read my other ones on a wide variety of movies and TV shows (including the original Spider-Man trilogy and other superhero movies) by clicking on my name or obviously on the “Read this User’s Reviews” button, and please mark this review as helpful. I put as much thought and effort into these reviews as I can, and it’s just a hobby so I’d be thankful. I almost passed my maximum character limit!

*SPOILERS AHEAD*
    The character of Gwen Stacy died too soon. She had more potential and was just a great character; I liked her a lot more than Kirsten Dunst’s Mary Jane. Electro’s APPARENT death was too quick and easy, he should’ve given Spider-Man more of a fight. The same goes for the Green Gobli
  30. May 2, 2014
    This movie...is not as good as everyone saying it is. The fights with Electro are short. In fact, the fight with Goblin is even shorter! Even though this movie goes deeper into the story on how the villains are being created, and all of the secrets that hidden in the cracks. This movie has little to no action fight scenes with Spider-Man and his foes. The love story part of the movie, between Gwen and Peter, is actually really nice, *SPOILERS* and it sorta makes you sad when Gwen dies. Another thing I MUST complain about is the amount of Trailers and Advertisement for this film! I think I would have loved it a little more if the amount of trailers were cut down to three to four trailers. They showed to much in them. Another problem was that the story seemed like it was cut from one scene to the next in every 5 minutes. It seemed to fast paced for a 2 hour long movie. Andrew Garfield's acting was a step down from the first, and Dane was EXCELLENT in this film. 6 - 10 for me. Expand
  31. May 2, 2014
    Com 'on people there is too much unnecessary hate for this movie. it's very good there is nothing wrong with it (great acting, amazing story, brilliant directing, had action,comedy and even a bit of romance maybe there was a bit of kissing than you'd have on an action movie but it wasn't as bad as some say) and it's surprisingly that most of that hate is coming from fans like us. the story developed as it should have been, you don't get bored in the middle waiting for an amazing revel or a fight you're waiting to see it all happens when you want it to. but after saying that it's not all action you can't have a movie full of just fighting without saying why or for what they are fighting (so the complains about not as action as I thought is unfair). SO overall the movie is very great and the chemistry is at it top with this amazing cast everyone is great in the movie, everyone has done their job as they should. let's not forget that this is a different way of telling the story it's not Tobey Maguire's Spider-man anymore. Expand
  32. May 2, 2014
    This is the movie that Spider-Man deserves. It is, indeed, amazing; Marc Webb and his team succeeded in this film, where all others have failed in adapting the story of Spidey: breathtaking scenes in the right sequence, which in my view, were perfectly adequate and framed; concise and convincing performances of the actors; heartbreaking scenes balanced with signature jokes of our neighborhood friend. Lastly, after all the events, the tender feeling of slowly leave the cine wondering when the next movie of the franchise will be released. Expand
  33. May 2, 2014
    watched the movie yesterday and I can say it is the best movie of Spider-Man. They made it as good old joker ever without exaggerating, and the script is very good! (some spoke of both the script and gave little note) For me ta fantastic script. And the action scenes do not need to say that neither are spectacular, well-designed and well fitted in every movie. Has enough drama also for Gwen and Peter, is not very dramatic one without molasses, very daora! The strong point of the film for me was to report straight like to be Spider-Man, the Daily problems he has in the city and how it relates it with family and himself! Expand
  34. May 3, 2014
    The Amazzing Spider-Man 2 is a movie that we can see the TRUE Spider-Man and the TRUE Peter Parker in a way we never seen before. Andrew Garfield is the persona of the character, Emma Stone is lovely like always and Dane DeHaan portrayed a Harry Osborn carismatic and lunatic at the same time. Terric!
  35. May 2, 2014
    Swinging with high voltage visual effects and fantastic soundtracks, The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Rise of Electro perches above its peers. In a more video game or comic inspired illustration, the overall colorful tone works wonderfully, especially in larger scales fights such as in Times Square, it's baffling not many movies do battles in the famous location. Its multitude of talents does a great job in bringing the characters to life; chemistry between them is definitely present. Regardless of some flaws, narrative might get crowded sewing numerous plots and villains, the movie will most likely satisfy fans and casual viewers alike.

The story tells origins of Electro and Green Goblin, played by Jamie Foxx and Dane DeHaan respectively, both of which have awkward relationship with the titular hero. Their stories are a bit foreshadowing, even more so to those who have knowledge of the comic or seen the previous trilogy and this might just be too predictable for some. Nevertheless the movie does a decent job on modernizing the villains and keeping them grounded without being too comical, it's a good choice not to put Electro in green yellow spandex. Jamie Foxx certainly has charisma for the main villain, although the fanatic aspect of the character in early parts is odd. It's a bit silly and too old-fashioned for an origin tale, he then becomes more appropriately menacing later on, partly due the blue CG face.

Dane DeHaan is a suitable cast for Harry Osborn, I daresay even better than James Franco who previously donned the green cape. He's an eerie reminiscence of young Leonardo DiCaprio, even with similar hairdo. He takes the role of Harry into a darker more obsessed persona, one with volatile and conniving nature. Most of the movie is oriented in Peter Parker (Andrew Garfield) and Gwen Stacy (Emma Stone) as they struggle with emotion and passion. Both of them showcase personal touches; it's apparent that Garfield admirably tries to fill the protagonist role. Spider-Man is a closer more relatable superhero as he endures doubt, guilt, and even the things ordinary folks go through daily, Garfield plays to this strength pretty well. Props to Sally Field and Chris Cooper as parental figures, each the polar opposite of the other, complementing the hero and villain, respectively.

Graphic differs from the usual gritty mainstream superhero flicks, New York is displayed in all its vibrant wonder. At first, it seems a tad close to video game, but I fancy the distinct feel. When the movie talks about hope aplenty, it helps to view the world in radiance. Action is great, often taking camera angles close to Spider-Man, slowing down just barely at the moment of impact. The use of audio matches pretty well, Hans Zimmer is a master in this regard. Many techno dubstep tracks focused on Electro blazing in the background and electrically pumping adrenaline, it may appear ludicrous at first, but it fits the movie brilliantly. Pop and rock songs litter the movie, played just in the right time. The production value is aggressive and undeniably entertaining.

The story sadly may stutter throughout the movie, there are just too many angles to show. From the romance between the two, origins of villains, the lingering past, the pace sometimes take too long on certain element and not enough on some. Not to mention the transition can be cumbersome, it doesn't help that the usual coincidence and practical cliché plots still persist. The flaws are there, yet its entire cast and production value overshadow them. Its simple premise of one overcoming their crisis is emotionally captivating, effectively presented and thoroughly entertaining.
  36. May 2, 2014
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2 struggles to find its footing in the grand scheme of its story, making it feel like it was a bridge to the third movie. As a movie introducing you to further events, however, it did a great job. While not as good as the original Amazing Spider-Man, I must say that The Amazing Spider-Man 2 slowly builds up to what could easily be a great third movie.
  37. May 3, 2014
    This movie was seriously AMAZING!!! The story line is great, the visual effects are very impressive, and the music is top notch. Very funny, dramatic, and at some moments, a little scary... :)
  38. May 2, 2014
    Marc Webb manages again, almost ironically, to deliver a nice Spider Man movie to the fans.

As many noted , the movie itself focus on Peter and Gwen's romance and less in the action scenes and villains, but that is why Gwen has a critical point to the plot. Even though it's not 100% loyal to the comics, they're trying to bring the most relevant points to the movies.

Andrew Garfield
    has improved as both Peter Parker and Spider Man, making you laugh with Spidey's sense of humor and charisma, while Peter makes you cry when he struggles to be with Gwen and protect her at the same time.

Some of the stuff showed in the trailer were cut from the movie. The movie could have been bigger and the villains and Spider Man could have showed up more, but the movie is an introduction to something even bigger. Hope the next movie shows a even bigger fight and maybe Spidey can show up in The Avengers 3.
  39. May 3, 2014
    The events that took place in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 are enough to make one question if it was really worth rebooting the Spider-Man series two years ago.
  40. May 5, 2014
    Beginning to realise with every passing day that the job of a critic is one that has become irrelevant and uninformed. I honestly do not think that critics have any taste for movies and this is especially been proven by this movie. this film is fantastic. The story is brilliantly paced, builds up to an explosive end and is incredibly performed by the actors. once again this is a fail on behalf of the critics. WATCH THIS FILM. its better than any pretentious half hearted BS the critics would prefer giving a good rating to.... Expand
  41. May 3, 2014
    That movie was the best spiderman that was made to date. The score was really good we had people singing in the theater. The characters we had people getting emotional as well. The cheesy lines Spidey says is how it's supposed to be have you ever watched the cartoon series? Also the same with the new York people its supposed to be comical its coming from a comic book lol. I'm sorry not every comic book movie needs to be dark and like the dark knight. I enjoyed the movie very much the people I was with enjoyed it. The people in the theater as well. Now I will agree ryno was ridiculous and needs to go. The build up to green goblin was not very well put that's why this movie was a 8.5/10 for me. Expand
  42. May 5, 2014
    This movie is amazing! The standard was raised with how amazing the new captain America was but this is film is very close in quality. The film is fun yet sad, just as spiderman films should be. Electro is a great villain and the acting was amazing but nearly all involved! Dane Dehann was a great Harry Osborn! The film ends with many questions left to be answered and a lot of people didn't like that but I find myself just that much more excited for the third film! Go see it!!!! ps. Critics are bad at their job Expand
  43. May 3, 2014
    The amazing spider man 2 is quite possibly the best super hero movie I have ever watched, and is without question the best spiderman film to date. Excellent movie, the characters, plot, direction, soundtrack, and acting were all fantastic, all I could think of after watching the movie was going to see it again.
  44. May 3, 2014
    The Amazing Spiderman 2 is awesome. For the most part. TAS2 is a bigger and bolder Spiderman movie, although I didn't find the vibe and sense in its predecessor, Andrew Garfield reprises his role as Peter Parker, still slinging through the beautifully recreated city of New York, buildings look awesome- and in 3D, even better. But this time, ASM 2 introduces 3 villains- Green Goblin, Electro and Rhino. All of those which are being played by Dane DeHaan, Jamie Foxx and Paul Gimmati. The film does a good job of representing Spiderman and his origin. But, it can be a long movie. ASM 2 is really slow, and it never expands on who Richard Parker or any origin of any villain is. If you want an Electro origin story- imagine Jamie Foxx screaming in a pool full of eels. Dane DeHaan is Harry Osborn aka The Green Goblin, his acting was top notch but still not better than the James Franco in Spiderman 2. Paul Gimmati gives the best acting from the bunch, Rhino is looking better than ever, but the movie never explores on his story, instead it gives you some unnecessary tear jerks. Well, this is not what I expected, watching all of the series, I think Sam Raimi had more to accomplish than Director Marc Webb. But remaking a series is hard, and Webb gave it his best. However, if you want to watch a colourful, energetic and well shot Spiderman movie- than go for it. If not, it's better to buy this one on BluRay. ASM is bigger and bolder but not better. Expand
  45. May 4, 2014
    The Amazing Spide rman a mixture of action,good acting and goofiness...I was surprised of how good this movie ended up being.I'm a huge Spider man fan...this movie was the best one in my opinion...everything that you would like in a spider man movie....amazing!
  46. May 4, 2014
    Loved the movie. Kinda happy for the whole reboot to be more a lil' close to the comic book. I do love Tobey's Spider-Man(s) but the reboot is amazing as well. Acting is great as well. A must see for all (family, kids, comic book readers, Marvel fans).
  47. May 4, 2014
    This movie is awesome! I love Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker and Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy a lot! The story is well written, nice structured and if you read the comics you'll know what's going to happen (kinda). I like the love story between Peter and Gwen even if it's complicated ^^ And now the villains: The acting of Jamie Foxx is phenomenal! Brilliant! The acting of Dane DeHaan was good, but if you watched the old trilogy you'll automatically have a worse opinion from him, because truly, James Franco was better.

I'm giving the movie 10/10, because all in one- it's good!
  48. May 2, 2014
    This was painful to watch. There's a really forced romance full of teenage angst and a Spiderman lacking the moral sense of Sam Raimi's character, just an obnoxious kid who likes to swing around and tease everyone. I think they overdid it trying to humanize everyone, and it watches more like a sappy soap opera than a comic book movie. It kinda feels like Twilight in spandex, to be honest -- all juvenile and shiny and devoid of substance. Did not like. Expand
  49. May 2, 2014
    It's real cool film! 1st part - sux, but thz.....very cool! I advise everyone to watch this kino.Hodil with a girl, she thought that it would be spat.Otorvat the movie was not possible!
  50. May 3, 2014
    The fact that this film currently has a mixed score is absurd, this is easily the best Spider-Man film to date, and one of the best superhero films ever made. I suspect much of the negativity stems from the bitterness many people have regarding Spidey not being part of the Marvel cinematic universe. But make no mistake about it, this film is far better than most Marvel movies - only the recent Captain America film can come close to it. It also proves that there is so much to the world of Spider-Man, that there's no need for crossovers or additional superheroes. This film is powerful, emotional, gripping, intense, and tragic. The acting is incredible and the special effects are stunning. The movie is long, but contrary to some other reviews, it never drags. The soundtrack is brilliantly done. The overall theme and message is one that we all need to be reminded of. Go see it, you won't be disappointed. Expand
  51. May 3, 2014
    ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss44444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss_This movie is **** awesome!!!!!!!
  52. May 4, 2014
    Exceptional movie. Everything was great - acting, effects etc. Only one downside - fil was a lil rushed and overfilled with villains, other than that it aws perfect.
  53. May 5, 2014
    Excellent performances from Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, and Dane DeHaan; with Sally Field and Jamie Foxx adding solid performances to what was an emotionally gripping film full of amazing action. As a lifelong Spidey fan and avid comic reader, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time and left feeling both completely satisfied with Amazing Spider-Man 2 and anxiously anticipating the future of this franchise. For a true comic book fan, this is the best live action iteration of Spider-Man yet! Expand
  54. May 6, 2014
    Trust the user reviews, the critics are wrong!! Anyway.. TASM2 is epic. Avengers kinda of epic. (well almost!)
    Well for a single super hero anyway! Electro steals the show for me in this and Garfield and Stone chemistry is again very believable. Though it's well over 2 hours long, it passes quick, everything about it was fun and effortless especially the Spider-man action scenes and
    they are comic book frame perfection.. I webbed myself. Expand
  55. May 3, 2014
    Good stuff! I enjoyed it. Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone have really solid chemistry that Mark Webb uses his background in indies to extract quite well. The plot could have been tightened up a bit, but overall it was a solid time at the movies.
  56. May 4, 2014
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is quite possibly the best spider-man film there is. It has what Sam Raimi's spider-man trilogy lacked; comic book relevance. This movie rips straight from the ultimate spider-man comics instead of trying to create new stories and mess with them. Critics right now are being too harsh, this was a genuinely great superhero action film. It had an interesting story what with Harry Osborn and Max Dillon going through the unfortunate events that they do, long with the will they won't they relationship between Peter & Gwen. First of all, Andrew Garfield is PERFECT as Spider-Man/Peter Parker. While Tobey Maguire did fulfill the nerdy part of Parker, he seemed more likely to be killing people than saving them. Garfield brings everything that Spider-Man is to the big screen, funny, heroic and serious all when necessary. Emma Stone didn't have as much to do in this film as she did in the last one, as the movie mainly focuses on Peter's struggles in his current life. The chemistry between Garfield & Stone is what really makes them a believable couple in this film (Maybe because they are in real life?) Jamie Foxx was fantastic as Electro, a sympathetic nerdy fan of Spider-Man's who goes against the wallcrawler due to his shocking transformation. In the beginning you feel bad for him but as the movie goes along you realise what Peter's effect on him is. Believing that Spider-Man needs him only to find out he says he needs ll the people of New York, really breaks him as he is a character who is socially awkward and has never really had any friends, along with never getting any credit for the work he does. So he unleashes his rage against Spider-Man along with the Green Goblin. Now, it's no secret Harry Osborn becomes the Green Goblin as the trailers do show you quick looks at him, but it feels like Harry Osborn is in the movie longer than the Green Goblin is. Don't get me wrong, Dane DeHaan was amazing in this film, leaps and bounds better than James Franco was. But he is the Green Goblin, so theres a feeling that he could have been in the film as the goblin longer but was cut down to maybe a total of 20 minutes. Although all the trailers show Paul Giamatti as Rhino and make him out to be the big third villain of the film, he's only in the movie for literally 10 minutes. I wouldn't really count him as a villain under these circumstances. Other characters such as Sally Fields as Aunt May and Chris Cooper as Norman Osborn are good in the scenes they're in, it's just that they don't really have as much of an impact as the main characters do. Overall, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is the greatest Spider-Man film to exist though it does seem like it's trying too hard to establish a larger universe. Expand
  57. May 2, 2014
    This movie may not be the greatest Spider-Man movie of all time but it is the best of the "Amazing" trilogy so far. Now this film takes a more comical/ straight out of a comic book approach and it seems the visual effects work very well for it. The movie did have some pretty weak villains, and reason for Electro becoming bad is just silly. All in all the movie did have some problems but it was still very enjoyable and it had heart. Expand
  58. May 4, 2014
    Definitely a worthy and entertaining sequel to the first "Amazing Spiderman" film. Like its predecessor, this one sticks remarkably close to the comics and certainly brings back a few nostalgic (and tragic) moments. The action and effects were great, if not, a little excessive at times. Andrew Garfield once again fulfills his role nicely, as does Emma Stone. Jamie Fox pulls of a decent performance as Electro, and Dane DeHaan makes for quite an impressive and sinister Harry Osborne. Overall, with the great effects, performances, and story that's remarkably loyal to the comics, this makes for one of the best and most fun Spiderman entries so far! Expand
  59. May 2, 2014
    SPOILERS!
    My conclusion is that " Amazing Spider Man 2" was a very good movie, Spidey 's best film to date, with excellent digital effects, great performances , many subplots and it's true .... maybe not convince the villains ; since the premise is " When enemies United ... " But that 's the only villain is Electro and looks the other villains do not have enough share, Elf appears only
    the last 20 Mins and Rhino does not paint a pepper in the film, only appears for 4 Mins with Giant Robot and ends with a Cliffhanger (Which I hope the next begins with the confrontation with which the film was left open ) . This film is to buy it, and not only that ... I WILL BUY THIS MOVIE WHEN AWAY! ( Of course, in Version 1 Disco DVD )

PS: I was thrilled when the movie ended , everyone applauded the room and screamed " Woohhhoo " It was exciting for me , I had not seen so many people applauding since I saw The Avengers in 2012
  60. May 2, 2014
    The first instalment was pretty solid, but this film, tries so desperately to make us laugh with flat jokes, cry with unexpected deaths, and be on the edge of our seats with lame action sequences; with laughable villains that just try to be popular. But there's still something about The Amazing Spider-Man franchise that can be repair for the next one.
  61. May 3, 2014
    I wasn't fond of the first one but this just really made me happy.

It gave me goosebumps at some moments when Spider-Man is web slinging. He's the only super hero I know of that is a comedian, and there are some good parts in the movie that will make you laugh. The effects were fantastic, and my favourite scenes were the fights.

Overall it was brilliant.
  62. May 2, 2014
    one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life
    in last 11 months I have seen 138 movies that I have never seen and about 20+ already seen so yeah I think I know what I'm talking about
    1 part wasn't bad I knew in 1 part will be a lot of dialogues etc. because they have to show again whole Peter Parker story but when I seen trailers of the second part I thought whole movie will be
    full of action like Man of Steel because in trailers they showed 3 villians of Spider-Man but the truth is
    in movie there are 2 fights with Electro and 2 with Rhino and 1 fight with Goblin
    fights wasn't longer maybe than 3 minutes so whole movie was packed in boring dialogues
    and I don't know for who that movie really was. Maybe for 8 years old girl or ok maybe for 11 years old girl
    there was a lot of romantic boring sh*t nothing for Man!

I really enjoyed Electro character Jamie Foxx did fantastic work and effects of movie was cool like some camera **** etc. but I had poker face while watching fights after 1 hour watching because I had already enough this movie and I was bored as fu*k
    I count 6 times when I wanted to get out from the cinema but I was with family so I don't had really choice I could say :P

NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE sorry. I wasted only free day and money :/
  63. May 2, 2014
    Fantastic. Garfield ans Stone did an amazing job developing their relationship and the combat could be the best comic book fight on the big screen of all time.
  64. May 2, 2014
    Two years ago, happy with the result of the first chapter of the reboot of Spider -Man , I hoped in a later chapter it reached , at least in part , the maturity of the second chapter of the first trilogy directed by Sam Raimi .
    Over the years , however, things are a little ' changed. I saw "The Amazing Spider-Man" a couple of times , and I noticed several flaws that I could not swallow.
    It will probably be more faithful to the comic ( I have not read it ), but from the point of view of the film has not convinced me as the first two Raimi's Spider-Man . This is not to say that I liked it, in fact I found it a decent movie , but I had to scale the high expectations I had for "The Amazing Spider- Man 2 ."
    As expected , in fact, this new installment in the reboot of Spider-Man does not reach even the slightest maturity of Spider- Man 2, but decided to put everything on pure entertainment from cinecomic . For this reason it stands out from the multitude of Marvel movies released in recent years . It is a cinecomic standard , which is fun and entertains great, but that does not offer anything more . The script is , in fact , one of the biggest shortcomings of the film, especially with regard to the characterization of the two villain , a bit ' too confusing and , especially , very forced . With the love story between Peter and Gwen have done a better job, but they wanted to dedicate a space far too invasive , making it seem almost out of place the two villains . At the same time , however, they have improved a lot the quality of the special effects , the costumes of Spider -Man and the two villains (aside from Rhino ) , and consequently also the visual impact , which , especially in the action scenes , it is very more intense than the first. This , thanks to the obvious improvements made ​​by director Marc Webb. Fabulous sequence in Times Square and the epic final battle between Spider-Man and Electro . I do not want spoilers, but I tell you that only the last half hour and captures the very essence that this film had to have .
    I admit I found it a bit ' more chaotic than the first, but the final half hour , and the strong visual impact have made "The Amazing Spiderman 2 ," a film worthy of its predecessor, and sometimes even better
  65. May 2, 2014
    This movie was awfully disappointing, the scenes were placed badly, I went into the cinema psyched, because everyone told me it was way better than the first AMazing Spider Man which i thought was terrible. People have mixed opinions, Jaimie Fox didnt match the character and was way too powerful than he shouldve been, Rhino is stupid, and Harry is freakin ridiculous. Toby Mcquire ones are better and more in depth.

I'm Sorry Andrew Garfield, but i want my money back.
  66. May 2, 2014
    Overall, I really enjoyed this movie. I was skeptical at first because of the way they advertised this movie soooooo much. Literally to the point that there was a new trailer coming out every week. But, with that being said this movie is as accurate to the spider man comics as you are going to get. Andrew Garfield plays a great Peter Parker and an even better comical wisecracking spidey. Emma Stone is great as always (their chemistry is the highlight of the film again). Jamie Foxx was mehh as Electro, I felt as if they brought him on for the CGI spectacle which works in this film. Other than that his character is poorly written. Paul Giamatti was a very over the top Rhino. I felt him and Foxx got the shaft on the writing and these two villains were the only downside of this film. Dane Dehaan on the other hand shines as Parker's best friend Harry Osborn. He gives you a sense of whats to come but he plays Osborn in a unique way James Franco never could. Green Goblin was the only villain done justice in this movie. But, for the most part, the cast is outstanding and the visuals are second to none. Probably the only movie I paid the extra cash for 3d. And for all you comic fans out there. You have to appreciate that Marc webb sticks to the source material for the most part and doesn't twist key storylines like Raimi did. Overall 9/10 Expand
  67. May 3, 2014
    Loved this Movie. Spider-Man was fantastically portrait und the Relationship between Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy was wonderful. The Action was outstanding and the Music....just wow.
    I don't quite understand the hate for this Movie. Sure it has some Problems, but which movie doesn't. I'm excited for the 3th Amazing Spider-Man :D
  68. May 3, 2014
    There are some things in it need to be fixed such as the origin of Green Goblin because it felt a little rush as well as the introduction of mechanized Rhino at the end, but it was forgivable.
    The main baddie, Electro is very well done with his origin both being a nobody and a God-like super villain.
    And the amazing complicated relationship of Peter and Gwen is just absolute emotional
    and relatable.
    And everything about the character of SpiderMan? It is hands down the best SpiderMan ever existed in film history.
  69. May 4, 2014
    Is it Spider-Man 2? Of course not. But it's still a good entry in this new saga of Spider-Man films. And definitely much better than its premiere entry. It certainly fails from similar crutches of Spider-Man 3; far too much of Sony clouding a good story with setups for whatever they think will create more money-making opportunities. But the story-lines presented are much more expanded and given acceptable screen time than the ever-compared Spider-Man 3, and the Spider-Man we see here is a truer comic Spidey than we have yet to experience. The emotion, heart, and cockiness of our costumed Peter is filling the scenes from start to finish.
    There is a lot that's attacked during its 2.5 hour time-span (and occasionally too much for the film to flesh out), but any viewer looking for an enjoyable outing with their web-head will be pleased. It's not going to render any critics astounded, and it's not going to to be the best Marvel-licensed film from the last 5 years, but it will leave an impression on you in more positive ways than it falters.
  70. May 5, 2014
    My advice:

Don't let the critics scare you away. Chances are you'll find it entertaining, at the very least. A lot of people seem to criticize the romance between Peter and Gwen; however, I feel that it is a major step-up from the original series. Yes, there's a lot of sarcastic and, at times, dry humor, but that's what makes it real -- not to mention more in-tune with the comics.
    Spider-man is supposed to be somewhat of a jokester, and Andrew Garfield portrays this perfectly. Perhaps they just don't get it. The characters can be related to, the visuals were stunning (given a tad bit overdone), and there was plenty of action to go around. The people giving this movie anything less than a 6 are just Nolanites being overly dramatic. Though, if I did have to nitpick, I'd say a few of the character design choices were pretty bad -- namely Rhino and Green Goblin. Especially Rhino. Additionally, Webb didn't quite capture the essence of Harry and Peter's friendship as well as he could have, as it definitely felt forced. Expand
  71. May 2, 2014
    Horribly written, bad dialogue that isn't funny, action is scarce, no character is fleshed out, lots of missed potential, directing is weaker than the first Amazing Spiderman movie, really everything is nothing close to as good as it was in the last movie. Only positives are the actors try to make their bad lines work and the special effects were good but neither of those things can make a bad movie good. Expand
  72. May 16, 2014
    A complete mess with little direction or sense. The characters serve almost no purpose to the overall plot, the dialouge is horrible, and Electro is basically Jim Carrey as the Riddler in Batman forver. Go back and watch this I'm not kidding a complete and utter ripoff. Too much back and forth dialogue with little to no point mixed in with several plot lines that in no way connect.
  73. May 6, 2014
    A truly amazing spider man movie,the story is away better that first one,and the graphics,wow, it really blow my head and take my breath away,I watch this movie twice and still eager to see more,like someone said,you will laugh and cry ,don't miss this,I sincerely admire SONY to bring this one of the best superhero movie to me.for me ,this series is a great achievement in movie industry,the spider man is more close to ordinary people's heart,unlike batman and iron man.it's the key why spider man movie is so touching,because we all want to have a hope,and we all want to become other people's hope.besides,Andrew and Emma are play awesome in this film,especially Emma,I have crush on her since EASY A,and this film makes her more charming to me,I can't say enough,after all,it's a must see movie,I highly recommend this. Expand
  74. May 2, 2014
    I never thought I would ever hate a Spider Man movie.Well,it happened..Generally the movie is overcrowded with stuff.The will they-wont they relationship between Gwen and Peter is annoying because it goes back and forth.They brake up then make up and then brake up and make up again.Peter Parker's parents story is unnecessary.The villains are dull as hell.The scenes generally arent connected.It feels more like a whole bunch of scenes put together without charm and beauty.The action is not exciting at all other than the fact that the Spider Man swinging scenes were really good and cool and made the character more dynamic.This movie was a huge let down.I felt so uncomfortable and instead of dragging me into the story it kept pushing me out of it and made me hate it,a lot cause Sam Raimi's trilogy made me love this superhero and he became my favorite but this is an unnecessary rebooted saga that its not even close to Raimi's pictures.Webb and Sony better make up for this mess. Expand
  75. May 4, 2014
    This film is very flawed. It has many problems, most of which are caused by the rather sloppy first entry into this new Spider-Man franchise. But, it's trying. You can see a lot of effort being made to make this as good of a movie as possible, and that effort did somewhat shine through. It's not perfect, but it's definitely not just "okay." It's far better than that.

First off, it nails
    Spide-Man as a character. Andrew Garfield is great as Peter Parker, but he's brilliant as Spider-Man. Gwen Stacy, who is played by Emma Stone, also is pitch perfect once again. James DeHaan is the best Harry Osborne yet, but sadly his story arc is rushed to where it doesn't feel like it fully worked, though I have no qualms with his fantastic performance. Electro, or Max Dillon, is played by Jamie Foxx, who I have to say is on a role lately with his acting roles. However, I can't help but feel he didn't get enough focus in the film due to the filmmakers trying to shove in Harry and even a bit of Rhino.

If I could do this film series my way, I'd have Harry Osborne in the first film interacting with Peter during high school, inferring a long relationship between the two, and have him be shipped off to boarding school at the middle of the movie, until he comes back for the sequel. I'd also make Electro the main villain of the second film with no *SPOILERS* Green Goblin at the end, or Rhino.

The story is better than the first, and by the end, the weighty material feels justified, though it's hard not to think that the film is very bloated, which is why I think some of it should have been put into the third film instead.

Still, this movie is good, and feels like a Spider-Man movie, but it's just not amazing. It has some amazing moments, especially towards the end, which I won't spoil, but other moments just feel dull. Here's hoping for a more sensational sequel.
  76. May 5, 2014
    A film with much feeling, written with wonderful, full of splendor in their actions and motivating romantic scenes. Shocking scenes of action, much guaranteed entertainment, a wonderful and unique experience. The best superhero movies of all time, no doubt it is
  77. May 5, 2014
    This is in my opinion the best Spider-man or any comic book movie to date. Critics and angry fanboys couldn't be more far off. I'm glad Marvel doesn't own the rights to this series. Their movie are good, but are more based on action and an objective or mission, and Spider-man is more about the life. Spider-man needs to be just as much about Peter Parker as it does Spider-man and this movie nails it. I enjoyed the Sam Raimi movies, even part three, but after a recent re-watch they do feel out dated by today's comic book standards even though it's only been a few years since the last one. That Spider-man seems so much stiffer and mopey. Andrew Garfield is loose, the computer effects (if you can even tell it's CG, some claim to be able too, but I don't believe them) make Spider-man loose, and nimble like he's supposed to be. I enjoyed the villains a lot too. Electro felt in the vein of Michelle Pfiefer's Catwoman to me, and even Harry was portrayed great. Expand
  78. May 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was action-packed! The two hours and thirty minutes went by very quickly and there wasn't any part of the movie that I remember where it felt drawn out. The love story was a recurring theme but I never felt like it got in the way of the action and it was very straightforward. No love triangles or any overplayed drama like the previous trilogy. I really liked the cast. This Harry Osborn has more emotion and you can clearly see him go insane little by little until he blossoms into a real villain. James Franco's character never really went 100% villain (and that took three movies), but this new version does become Spiderman's worst nightmare (similar to Harvey Dent in Dark Knight) very quickly. So I can't wait until the last installment of this trilogy where they are probably going to have a full-scale war between Harry Osborn's new crew of villains and Spiderman. Hopefully, with some of the cast dying/leaving, it opens the door for some creative additions to the cast that will play a character on the good side instead of the bad.

Oh, and one of my favorite parts is near the end where the little kid in the Spiderman Halloween costume comes out and tries to take on Rhino. I thought that was a pretty cool scene to sneak in at the end.
  79. May 8, 2014
    People have gotten so overly critical about comic book movies lately. They aren't fine art. It's a reason to put guys in funny suits to fight each other while destroying universally recognizable locations. They are inherently stupid. This movie is a little too long and doesn't make perfect sense a lot of the time. But it's decently shot, the effects are good, it's colorful, the action is fun, the actors decently portray human beings, and it makes you forget about the real world for a couple of hours. It's not going to win any major awards for deep compelling and well thought out story telling. But then again neither was the source material. It's fun, dumb, summer blockbuster, pop corn stuff and there is nothing wrong it. Expand
  80. May 2, 2014
    Awesome special effects and good entertainment, but the script could be less confusing ! I loved the parts of Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone, but the villains could be developed much better !
  81. May 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Movie was way better than expected, the part of which Gwen dies was horrible yet amazing, it's better than the first movie which is great too, but without doubt its better than the old trilogy, the acting were the best but the movie editing was average. Expand
  82. May 3, 2014
    Que dire de the amazing Spider man 2, simplement qu'il est au dessus du précédent tant au niveau visuelle que au niveau du scénario même si je reproche à ce dernier sa fin, qui n'est autre qu'une fin bâcler pour couvrir la vraie fin qui elle n'est pas une happy end. Je crois que la plus grosse erreur du film et de penser qu'il vont pouvoir nous remplacer Gwen. Ceci passe trés mâl au niveau du public. On ne pourras jamais oublier Gwen sa fait quand même plus de 4h que l'on vit les aventure de spidey avec elle. Vous me direz alors pourquoi!!!!!!! 8 comme score. Tout simplement parceque c'est le meilleur Spider Man qui est était fait, tant par son esthétique que le reste de l'histoire, et oui on est alors bien iloin de la première trilogie et de son pantin de Bouffon vert, très beau ralentit, constrate, film esthétique. Contrairement au premier qui avait trop de ressemblance avec la premiére trilogie ici The Amazing Spider Man prend vraiment son indépendance.
    Sinon pour terminez je vous conseillerez d'aller le voir, très beau spectale.
  83. May 6, 2014
    Well I thought this movie was definitely better than the first one. The characters were better defined, and let's be honest, Andrew Garfield plays a better eccentric Spiderman than Tobey Maguire. The plot seemed to be alright, although it did focus more on the relationship status of the movie. If you have read the comics, you will realize that this movie follows them to a T.
  84. May 7, 2014
    Extremely long for this type of movie, overly dramatic, script all over the place. Good FX though, everything else is just a disaster, boring and not exciting at all.

A extremely miscast Jaime Foxx trying (and failing) to be funny.
  85. May 10, 2014
    Such a crap! There was one genuinely heart-felt moment toward the very end of the film that got me, but the rest? Very blah. The second Captain America film was a thousand times better than this film. The chemistry between the two leads is meager, the bad guys don't inspire fear like those in the the Dark Knight series - not even close
  86. May 11, 2014
    Amazingly Bad. For such a great Marvel character and how good the Spidey "reboot" started out in ASM1 - This movie fails at almost every turn.
    It wants to build up the "Stacy/Parker" relationship, but all we get are an overload of half a dozen or so scenes that go nowhere. Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield both seems to be desperately searching to be anywhere else other than this movie
    their dialogue in these scenes seems forced and uncomfortable and only adds to the clunky pacing of the film.
    Jamie Foxx a talented Actor and Comedian appears as Electro the more or less central villain of the film. Foxx is totally wasted here as he is given almost nothing to say and even less to do but act as a focal point for Michael Bay-level Special Effects. Ditto for Paul Giamatti.
    The motivations behind why many of these villains become villains are so oddly concocted that they are beyond ridiculous and in some cases missing altogether, this is also true for many scenes in the movie itself even in an a truly awkward moment near the end of the movie that seems intent to create a somber and heartfelt moment, but is more so just a desperate gimmick. There are scenes that go on and on and on well past their expiration date and others that seem inserted from the movie that this one was supposed to be. I read somewhere that several different writers worked on the script for this movie– They all must have really disliked each other.
    I get it these are all supposed to be comic book characters, but that is exactly what has made many of the movies in the Marvel Universe (i.e.,Avengers, Captain America, etc.) so good; the filmmakers made an effort to try and portray the characters as somewhat realistic people. This movie is so bad that even the Marvel trademark ‘Easter Egg’ is botched as a hastily added afterthought.
  87. May 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. [This review contains spoilers, so unless you've already seen the movie or just don't care, tread with caution.]

Usually I'm able to write up reviews immediately after I see a movie, but this time I had to sleep it off. As I was walking out of the theater, I had nothing but good things to say about the movie due to how fast the 2 and a half hours went by, along with other great things that will definitely be mentioned in this review... But for hours, I found myself thinking: "How did this movie get such low scores?" and as I woke up this morning, it hit me. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 may not be a bad movie, but it does throw a lot at the viewer from many different directions, which is definitely this movie's downfall. There's actually so much going on in this movie that I'm surprised Peter Parker having some kind of a mental breakdown wasn't scripted.

Starting with what makes this film a mess as opposed to what makes it shine; the first of many things that this movie throws at its audience is the absence of Peter's father, which is actually how the movie opens up. I suppose this could have been seen as necessary to the plot for the sake of Peter's back-story, but as the film moves on you'll realize that it's just one more thing that this movie has to juggle. Following that is the incredibly predictable, and not enjoyable at all thanks to the trailers that spoil it, chemistry between Gwen Stacey and Peter. This goes on throughout the entire movie in a pretty steady flow full of hardcore feels that build up to the big moment, but wait, there's more.

In addition to Peter's past and love life is the uprising of Maxwell Dillon, aka Electro, who's character build is actually pulled off pretty well. It's a shame that it nearly gets drowned out by everything else going on, including the relationship between Peter and Harry Osborn. Despite being in the film consistently from the first 30 minutes or so, Harry doesn't even make his transition into the Green Goblin until the film's final moments. Confused yet? Because there's even more.

At the very end of the movie after Peter takes a 5-month hiatus, thanks to what should have been the big finale, The Sinister Six goes into development starting with Rhino terrorizing the streets of New York. First of all, how did it take 5 whole months for any serious crimes that require Spider-Man's assistance to occur? Second, why would they close out the movie with a member of the Sinister Six fighting Spider-Man before the release of The Sinister Six movie, which Spider-Man is to have no involvement in? And finally, what in the world were they thinking when they put the final clip of the movie in the trailers? The whole time I was sitting around, I kept hearing "But wait, where's Rhino?", and if you take the clip of them in the trailers, then add credits after Spidey is about to hit him, you've got the end. Pretty lame.

However, there are actually a few sources of light in this long, dark, 2 and a half hour tunnel. What The Amazing Spider-Man 2 overloads us with is made up for with an amazing use of visual effects. Nothing looks like it's computer generated, the CGI interactions between actors is spot on, and best of all, the film opens up with scenes filmed in my home town; Rochester, NY. I actually even shouted "It's Rochester!" a couple times, but people didn't really like that too much.

The film's also pretty smart with its use of music, as opposed to simply blaring an original score whenever something gets even remotely serious. My personal favorites both involve Max, though. The first is when he becomes Electro, and an electronic song is used to portray the thoughts in his head while kicking off an interesting fight between he and Spidey. Another was towards the end of the movie and involved Electro toying with Spider-Man and playing "The Itsy-Bitsy Spider" through poles of energy. Really smart play there.

There was also a good amount of strategic foreshadowing that required knowledge of the Spider-Man universe and didn't feel like a huge addition to the already cluttered story-line. A woman named Felicia was introduced soon after Harry Osborn was, and despite not hearing her last name, I'm sure it's Hardy. Felicia Hardy is Black Cat in the Spider-Man universe, and serves as an anti-hero who I'd love to see in future films. There was also a lot to see on the holo-graphic images presented in Oscorp, but unless you have the ability to pause it, you won't get much. I also like how Doctor Octopus and Kraven were hinted at.

Overall, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is exactly what I said it was in the beginning; not a bad movie, but it does throw a lot at the viewer from many different directions, which is definitely this movie's downfall. I sincerely hope that the next couple films in the franchise aren't this cluttered, and the Sinister Six movie doesn't flop as hard as I think it will with so many stories to tell in such a short amount of time.
  88. May 27, 2014
    If you're a hard core Spider Man fan and didn't like the Sam Raimi trilogy then by all means go for it. But for me, this movie was just terrible from beginning to end. No heart, no consistency, no conclusions, no point, no real fun, no passion from ANYBODY working on this from the screenwriters to the director! All it ends up amounting up to is a 2 and a half hour long trailer for the Sinister Six movie we all know is going to happen soon.
    Worst comic book movie I've seen in years!
  89. May 3, 2014
    Who would've thought; its even worse than the first Amazing Spider-man movie. The only reason this movie was made is for Sony to cash in on the franchise while they've still got it.
  90. May 2, 2014
    It pains me to say that this movie was just meh. There is way too much going on in this movie which lead to characters being underdeveloped and feeling overly long. This movie was way over promoted as well in that there were no exciting scenes that weren't in the trailers. Garfield and Stone were really good again, the visuals were great and I liked the new theme by Hans Zimmer. Better luck next time I guess. Expand
  91. May 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a disappointment this film is two different films in one. The good half starts with Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker/Spiderman, the best Spiderman by far. It continues with Emma Stone as Gwen Stacey and the chemistry between her and Peter is magic and the best part of this film. One last positive goes out to Sally Field as Aunt May, she had some real emotional scenes with Peter. Now for the negative's the villains in this film are 90's Batman villains from The Riddler I'm sorry Electro to Mr. Freeze aka Rhino yes Rhino's that bad. The Green Goblin maybe the best villian, but he suffers from no real character development. Overall it's strange to say but if I could have gotten two and a half hours of the love story with scenes of Spiderman helping kids that maybe a 9 or 10 but with the pointless villains dragging it down it regretfully gets a 5. Garfield and Stone deserved better than this. C+ Expand
  92. May 3, 2014
    Considerando que o ultimo filme não me agradou , fui para ver este com a quase certeza de decepção certa, mas tomei um violento tapa do diretor Marc Webb, pois o filme é muito bom com uma reviravolta tonal e do enredo muito interessante ,seus unicos erros são a colocação do romance entre peter e gwen em momentos inoportunos e o roteiro que as vezes é um pouco preguiçoso.
  93. May 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I just got home from seeing this movie, and all I could say was, Spiderman 3. It wasn't as bad as Spiderman 3, but it wasn't as good as the first Amazing Spiderman movie. The first 5 minutes were really great, and it got the film off to a good start, and then the middle was just confusing, too much underdeveloped plot development, and then Electro shows up. Then, where was the climax? Then we get two new villains randomly. There wasn't enough action. I'm totally into plot and everything, and it's as important as anything, but real meaningful plot. I wasn't sure what to take from this movie. I hope the next one corrects a lot of this one's flaws. It did make the mistake that Spiderman 3 had, which was too many villains. Stick to one. I will probably be buying this on DVD, but I prefer the first one. Expand
  94. May 4, 2014
    Its leads, set pieces, and score may be incredibly promising, but due to a handful of sharply flawed character choices, an unbearably cluttered narrative, and some general lunacy interspersed throughout, "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" neither undershoots nor exceeds the film's acceptable predecessor.
  95. May 3, 2014
    I liked the performances of the cast. Andrew Garfield is a great Spider-Man with his smart-talks and comic moments and a more human Peter Parker than the first film (if overly sentimental). Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy has even bigger moments in this film than the previous. Dane DeHaan almost steals the show as Harry Osborne and Jamie Foxx is excellent (I don't know why people would think he's a miscast before). The CGI set-pieces were fun to watch and I liked how Marc Webb tries to be more dramatically demanding, like Raimi's Spider-Man. I appreciate action movies with more narrative than action sequences or set-pieces (like this movie) but with all that said though, I'm surprised people actually like this movie. The critics are right about this movie, the storytelling is bad. It's unfocused and crams too many subplots, too many characters and too many villains. This is the problem with Spider-Man 3 (everyone hated that movie) and it's a bigger problem here but because it's not Raimi, Webb gets a free pass as the loyalty of fanboys prevent them from seeing and agreeing (bowing down to mediocrity for the sake of fanboying the franchise). There's more Peter Parker than there is Spider-Man, and that's okay but there's too many plot points. It jumps back and forth between his relationship with Gwen, his relationship with Harry and the origins of his parents. I liked the chemistry between Garfield and Stone but the painfully cheesy dialogues makes their relationship look like Twilight. Everyone hated that movie also but because it's Spider-Man, it to gets a free pass. Superhero's love interest are always subplots and they made his love interest the main plot pretty much, which is fine if it wasn't all cliche and Twilight. His relationship with Harry feels forced, right from the moment Harry mentioned Peter's braces and Peter mentioned him blow-drying and combing his hair all the time or something like that. The origin of his Peter's parents has nothing to do with the story at all, it doesn't move the plot along. After Peter finds the video of his dad, it seems like Peter forgets everything about his parents after that, it becomes irrelevant in the film. They just resolved the origins of his parents for the sake of it, because his parents left him at the beginning of the first film and we don't know why but I couldn't care less. How do you cram three villains into one film without being overcrowded? By barely featuring any of them in the film. Rhino only has four minutes on-screen time. There's no character arc and it's completely pointless. If that's their way of introducing him for the second sequel, they should've introduced him in the second sequel. The Rhino that you see in the trailer is all that you'll see from him in the film. And the boy standing in front of him trying to be Spider-Man, what a **** embarrassment. When you see Spider-Man swinging the manhole cover at Rhino, that's the beginning of the fight and the end of the movie. I wanted to see a fight sequence before but the movie bored the **** out of me so I couldn't care less. There's more Harry Osborne than Green Goblin and the Green Goblin was just a set-up to Gwen Stacy's death. It's a bit contrived but emotional and heartbreaking overall. Still, I can't help but feel like Green Goblin is another wasted villain. Max Dillon is a character I felt sympathy for; he's lonely, socially awkward and under-appreciated. Max Dillon could've been a great character, had they not throw it away as soon as he becomes Electro. If they want to make Max/Dillon an unsympathetic character but make him relatable in the beginning, they should do it slowly. Make him less and less unsympathetic as the movie moves along and with a running time of 2 hours and 20 minutes, they could do that if they didn't try and squeeze multiple story arcs into a single film. Abruptly shifting him into a villain (just when I started to like the character, probably more so than Peter Parker) is not how you develop character. There are a few comic moments in the film but most of it falls flat and I don't understand why Harry is dying of an illness (that is hereditary) at a young age when his dad survived until his 60s. I suppose the filmmakers were hoping that no one in the audience would notice the major plot hole and couldn't come up with another way to set-up the whole character. TASM2 tries to be different from all the superhero movies by putting more focus on the narrative, which is fine but it fails in that level. It just drags on-and-on with the story and I was hoping the set-pieces would make up for it but there's not enough of it due to the lack of balance. The performances, set-pieces and direction saves this film from being a complete disaster but as a Spider-Man fan, I was hugely disappointed and letdown by this film. This is worse than Spider-Man 3, at least it's not cheesy and I can tolerate with "emo" Spider. This is painfully and disappointingly average! Expand
  96. May 9, 2014
    Inconsistent, bland and tries to be more genres than it should. Electro looks like a 'WWE2K14' Create-A-Wrestler and Peter cries about every little thing.
  97. May 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I did not like the movie because it has many villains and little explanation for these villains, that way the movie turned into a sea of ​​things without explanation, in my opinion the movie should have had at least one or two villains to have a good time movie and sufficient time for the villains, because this film does not have a cool time villains, ums appear very little, and others appear to have been good this film it had to be at least 6 hours of film to have a good time and villains explain the whole story of villains and plot. Expand
  98. May 3, 2014
    The first movie (TASM) was pretty good but this one undoes all the good things that the first did. The first two hours are draggy and the remainder picks up just before it ends. There's just too many characters in the middle of everything, unlike The Avengers that managed that very well TASM fails miserably. Skip it, wait for the Blu -Ray, DVD or Netflix releases.
  99. May 4, 2014
    Maybe I should stop reviewing comic book superhero flix, because I've lost all patience with the genre. The predictable stories, ho-hum opponents and noisy action all play out in this sequel. Luckily, Andrew Garfield (in the title role) has loads of charisma and charm that makes watching him enjoyable. Toss in his chemistry with Emma Stone and you have a bearable love interest. Other than that, there's nothing new or special. Another downside of these films is the unnecessary length (1:42 in this case) that includes too much unnecessary drama and villainous posturing. I was never bored, but just tired of the uninspired formula. Expand
  100. May 3, 2014
    Every Spiderman movie contains one super villain too many. But the delightful chemistry between Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone makes this otherwise kind of aimless story an okay watch.

Bloated and often boring and has absolutely no reason to exist, but that it also hits its marks. No fanboy will pass it up. No studio head will lose his or her job.
  2. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    May 1, 2014
    The movie feels not only calculated but tired.
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Mohan
    May 1, 2014
    ASM 2 makes too many of the same mistakes that have brought other superhero movies low (including Sam Raimi's "Spider-Man 3"). It tries to pack in too many characters and plot lines, for one.