7.0

1. Aug 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. OK so this is coming from a young, but lifetime Spider-Man fan! I preordered tickets. Got the 11 o'clock showing on May 1st. This movie opens up with spiderman swinging around the city, and chasing a truck which has future rhino driving it. Its great as the wise ass spiderman cracks jokes and stops the villian. Classic good ole spidey. The action in this movie was absolutely great! Emma Stone and Garfield were great. Electro was an ok villian. He didnt have enough build up for him to really have an effect on you. But the CGI did look very good. Green Goblin was very well done (looks wise). it was like they took an aproach in between the 2002 green goblin and the ultimate goblin. I think he and harry hasd a decent story. Since the didnt kill him off like they did Venom in 07', it was fine. Gwens death the very sad, but very, very, VERY well done. Garfields acring was great during this scene as it was the whole ,movie! The very end was good and bad. I loved it when spiderman came back after his 5 month disapearence. But the Rhino.... one word AWFUL! I dont want to get into the Rhino. Overall i thought this was a good film. if not really good! Hoped you enjoyed ,my review. im new, and only 14 so dont bash. Expand
  2. Aug 20, 2014
    Do not listen to the critics. This movie is truly the AMAZING Spiderman. Andrew Garfield manages to stay true to character, with a sense of wit and humour Maguire's Spiderman never had. The person who manages to steal the show, against all odds, is Jamie Foxx. Foxx's role redefines the character of Electro, and manages to make him terrifying. I found the battle between Electro and Spiderman the best part of the film. Once again, don't listen to the critics. Sure, TASM 2 may have one too many villains, but is that really a good reason to score this movie a 52/100? Expand
  3. Aug 20, 2014
    This was yet another great Spidey movie from Webb and team. Garfield is fantastic as Spidey and Stone is fantastic as Gwen. Villains and other characters were also done well.

These continue to be much, much better than the horrid Raimi trilogy of movies and anyone that claims differently does not know anything about Spider Man's universe or character.
  4. Aug 20, 2014
    I have a question why did you kill Gwen at the end of the movie. And why didn't you kill harry at the and why so you can keep him alive for the next spider-man.
  5. Aug 19, 2014
    The Amazing Spiderman 2 had an impressive opening weekend with a pretty good take at 91.6 million. It was lighter than the 95 million posted by Captain America, The Winter Soldier a few weeks earlier. Honestly, I liked the Cap a little better than this Spiderman movie anyway.

I will avoid any serious spoilers but cannot avoid indicating that there are some major developments in this
    film. Be careful when reading movie reviews if you haven’t seen it because the potential for spoiler harm in this flick is very high.

Because this is a reboot it is impossible not to make comparisons to the first trilogy starring Toby Maguire as Peter Parker, AKA Spiderman. Andrew Garfield is great behind the mask. But that is really more credit to the screenwriter’s producing superior Spidey wise cracks in the dialog that harken back to the character in the comics. I feel that Garfield’s Peter Parker is a little too cool. In all fairness the Peter Parker character has morphed from the original 1960s shy nerdy high schooler who gains confidence behind the mask into a more socially outgoing college student character that uses his goofy humor to mask his insecurities. So the Garfield interpretation isn’t really “wrong” per say. I just guess I prefer that original geeky wimp persona of the 1960s comics than the later incarnation.

Overall I think Garfield does a better job in front of the camera as Parker and Spidey. This Spiderman movie features multiple bad guys, some with superpowers, some with authoritative power. The movie drags a bit with the complex relationship between Parker/Spidey and Gwen Stacy. I don’t feel like they were able to manage the drama portion of the film that is necessary to tell the back story and romance between Gwen and Spidey. I like Garfield, Sally Field delivers as Aunt May, I rather liked the quasi creepiness of Dane Dehan as Harry Osborn.

It is interesting that the Spiderman back in 2002 did a pretty accurate job of depicting the Green Goblin (Norman Osborn) but failed miserably using Mary Jane Watson instead of Gwen Stacy in the leading lady role. At least this new reboot got the girl right. Gwen Stacy was Parker’s first love. In the comics Mary Jane was Gwen’s friend. None of these movies thus far has really made that connection between the two girls. I really think that Sony’s involvement in the Spiderman franchise is a negative. Stan Lee has less control over the content in the Spiderman movies because of contractual obligations to Sony/Columbia Pictures.

Overall I did enjoy the movie. I felt the plot development was chunky at times but Spidey’s character and solid dialog made up for it. Honestly it may be a little Spiderman fatigue, what with this the 5th movie in 12 years to feature the web slinging super hero. None the less, I think that Marvel fans and non-fans alike got their 12 bucks worth watching this film. It is just that, every time I watch a new Spiderman movie I find myself back to my favorite which is the first one with William Defoe as Norman Osborn/Green Goblin, and J.K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jamieson. Despite the discrepancies to comic book lore that first one remains my personal favorite.

Now that this is a DVD/Bluray rental, definitely see it!
  6. Aug 17, 2014
    This second installment of the Spiderman reboot is a bit greater than it’s predecessor, but it suffers with the same deficiencies.

Well the CGI is incredible, and the action is okay, but not as great as I would define as awesome. The soundtrack is a bit more epic than it’s predecessor, but I miss a more greater one. The negative aspects are of course the bad ending, the slow amount of
    action, the weird story and the bad actor Andrew Garfield as Spiderman. I'm actually surprised that this movie isn’t that epic as I would want it to be, because it got two awesome writers: Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, who gave us Star Trek (2009) and other great films.

My conclusion of The Amazing Spiderman 2 is that it’s greater than the first movie, but it still suffer with bad directing and writing.

The Amazing Spiderman 2 get a 6.7/10
  7. Aug 16, 2014
    The acting was really bad and there was no action.The only good actor in the movie was Jamie Foxx and he was not at his best.Visually amazing,the movie just failed at being good.
  8. Aug 15, 2014
    Another superhero movie that juggled too much , none of the villians had the competency that they all deserve , Electro was poorly done , and the film struggled to stick to one genre.
  9. Aug 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Once there was a great superhero named Spider-Man. In 2002 he got his first taste of the big screen with Sam Raimi and Sony Pictures Entertainment working together to create one of the most popular superhero movies of the 21st century. Following that we had 2 sequels, one of which was also critically acclaimed and the other not so much. Shortly after the 3rd film's released it was announced that 'Spider-Man 4' was in development, but was cancelled a couple of years later due to disagreements between Raimi and Sony. In 2012 we got a lacklustre, lazy and dull "reboot" of the franchise known as 'The Amazing Spider-Man' directed by Marc Webb and despite being the lowest-grossing movie of this series, it was still fairly-well received and thus a sequel was commissioned so now here we are with 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2'. I'm going to be blunt and logical here: this could very well be one of the worst superhero movies ever made, on par with the likes of 'Batman And Robin'. Some may think that's going a bit too far, but trust me, it isn't. For starters, there's practically no plot in this movie. What this film is is basically a 150 minute advertisement for Sony products, Spider-Man toys and accessories and future movies and spin-offs. The "sub-plots" (sorry I can't say that with a straight face) in this movie consist of Max Dillon becoming Electro, which happens in the space of 5 seconds so you don't get to see his full transition, Oscorp overthrowing Harry Osborn after his father's death, Peter Parker breaking up with Gwen Stacy (only to get back with her at the end of the movie just so they can make her death more tragic), Peter Parker finding out about the mystery of his parents and Harry Osborn becoming the Green Goblin because he has some disease that his father has. So right off the bat, there's no straightforward plot here. Hell these events aren't even enough to be considered "sub-plots" because they don't all tie together in the end for one final battle or... anything! Nothing is given anywhere near enough time to get fleshed out so that this movie can deliver a decent story. The movie just reeks of lazy writing. All two- sorry three of our villains are given no motivation and Rhino only shows up as a human criminal at the start of the movie for like five minutes only to bugger off and disappear until the last two minutes just so he can do a rampage in the style of the Rhinozord from 'Power Rangers' to make for a pretty lame cliffhanger. As well as this, Harry Osborn isn't given anywhere near enough screen time to become the villain because unlike the Raimi Trilogy and the comics, he only gets one movie's worth of screen time as oppose to two movies' worth of build-up (or tonnes of comics' worth depending on what perspective you're coming from). While the actors are really trying their best with what they have, the script literally gives them nothing to work with. Character motivations are blatantly non-existent, Peter Parker's identity keeps changing from douche-bag to idiot back to douche-bag again and repeat and Gwen Stacy is literally only in the movie to show how little the writers actually get about why she's an important character.

Overall, 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2' is a spit in the face straight from Marc Webb and Sony to Spider-Man fans. It doesn't exist to do any good. Not to tell a good story, not to pretend it's a good movie and not to entertain fans of the franchise. It only exists to make money and that's it. I give it 1/10 and for good reason. It's an insult to spidey fans and superhero fans alike.
  10. Aug 9, 2014
    Esta película posee muy buenos efectos tanto sonoros como visuales, para mi posee un buen guión, y aunque sus actuaciones no son las mejores, la película te entretiene, y un final inesperado.
  11. Aug 6, 2014
    I'll admit I wasn't a huge fan of the first. I didn't understand why a reboot, just 10 years after the first in Sam Raimi's trilogy, was needed. And with the origin story told so closely to it's predecessor I was underwhelmed, but it had some entertainment value and quality stars. AS2 was just painful to watch. It starts out cartoonish and silly and never really breaks free of that. Maybe they were trying to put more lighthearted fun in the mix, but I couldn't stop thinking of some of the later years batman films. Spidey senses are not tingling... Expand
  12. Aug 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was amazing alright, but not for me. Don't get me wrong, I love the first Amazing Spider-Man. Sadly, what Marc Webb just did with #2 threw it all away. I saw the movie in IMAX 3-D and it came out as a watershed deja vu of Spider-Man 3 all over again. The good news is that the chemistry between Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy worked incredibly beautiful, and Sally Field as Aunt May is perfect. (Extra points for Stan "The Man" Lee's cameo)

There is one problem: The film is TOO DAMN LONG!

Some are good, the rest fells flat in the face. The story doesn't feel any resemblance to Spider-Man unique origins story and turn it into a 2 1/2 hour full of a disjointed action romp that's filled with plotholes and cheesey one-liners. I almost forgot that Electro's character development is just the polar opposite of bland and dull. Jamie Foxx's performance as the lightning-rod villain/alter-ego Max Dillion is questionable. And Electro's CGI elements are overrot. He always complains too much with this mess. The (almost) ending scene where Gwen Stacy dies doesn't make any sense. It was supposed to be happily ever after and now Webb screwed it up. In fact, he screwed the rest of the fans (including, myself) and try to alienate the rebooted Spider-Man franchise from scratch. So much for Spider-Man 4. Also, earlier this year, I thought underrated newcomer Shailene Woodley should've, would,ve and could've been a great choice casting as fan-fave Mary Jane in #2, but I seriously don't understand why she was taken out of the picture and add Gwen Stacy instead. She is a great actress (although Divergent is very decent) and saying that she's not pretty enough might send the wrong message and let this baffoon of a director pretended that it was some sort of a mistake. F**k you, Marc Webb. I was surprised that all of the action is wasting too much time. Sure it might've been good, but I fell asleep and needless to say, that is not how you make a grand entrance to a supposedly amazing sequel, period. And whoever told Paul Giamatti plays as a laughable villain named Rhino almost at the end and Spider-Man challenges him to a one-on-one battle? That really pisses me off. Movie's over. Wait...what? A new clip showing Mystique kicking the living hell out of the government? Thanks a lot, Sony. I smell a lawsuit between both Sony and Fox because both are Marvel films (outside of Disney's intellectual respects), but they have no business revealing the new teaser for Days of Future Past. If they need to make a third Amazing Spider-Man movie, they need to tone down the action a little along with Peter Parker's ongoing chemistry with Gwen, try to add Green Goblin or Mary Jane and don't even try to rush the characters into a walking recycled douche, and keep the movie an hour and a half because I'm still reeling right now and still angry. I would write an angry letter to Sony and hopefully they should add the extended cut of the movie on Blu-Ray. Not this moment, but probably during the Winter. When you see another superhero movie going to add another sequel in a few years, something is wrong. And that's why I have had enough of The Amazing Spider-Man 2. Top down in every level, I should put this in the 10 Worst Superhero Movie Sequels next time.
  13. Aug 4, 2014
    It was an ok movie but it was too long. Took about an hour before something finally started to happen they could of easily cut 40-50 min or so and it would of been just fine (It last 2h 20min). Acting is good, story was ok and thanks to the ending I now want to know what happens next, like RIGHT NOW.
  14. Aug 3, 2014
    The words Sucks Major Ass describes it perfectly. From the stupid sub plot with Peter's parents (which has absolutely zero relevance to the film), The even dumber visions that Peter has of Gwen's Dad, The pathetic villains and their laughable portrayals (I hated the Rhino and found absolutely zero use for him in the film, Jamie Foxx was laughably bad as Max/Electro, and I thought what they did to the Green Goblin was a huge injustice despite loving the actor who portrays him).

Overall, Amazing Spider-Man 2 was a huge freaking drop off from the first film and I would strongly recommend avoiding it at all costs.
  15. Aug 3, 2014
    Another disaster in the world of superhero movies.Terrible, awful, extremely bad. Do not believe any of the 656 positive reviews. People who wrote those are either very dumb or they work for Sony or whoever else profits from this piece of excrement. I love Sony, but I used to love them a whole lot more before I saw this. If it's not too late, like it is for me, do not watch. Not in the cinema, not at home, not anywhere, not ever. However you look at life, it is far too precious to waste two hours of it on this film. For specifics, read the other red reviews. There's plenty there. Expand
  16. Aug 2, 2014
    This sequel' impressive CGI and decent acting cannot outshine a pretty weak and pointless plot. A lot cheesier than its predecessor, it feels like more a videogame than a film that has to say something. "The Amazing Spider-Man" was praiseworthy for its freshness, this one is fresh too but too childish. You will like it if you just fancy something visually spectacular.
  17. Aug 1, 2014
    The Amazing Spiderman 2 es una película que da algunas sorpresas conforme avanza el film, a parte de que la película ofrece una trama interesante y curiosa, que sin dudas fue mejor de lo que esperaba.
  18. Jul 31, 2014
    Yes folks it is indeed that time of the year..again. Where does the year go?. We can all start to smell the freshly popped popcorn in movie theaters, we are starting to wear shorts (well maybe if you don't live in Michigan) right now it is a cool 50 degrees. I digress, I'm referring to the opening of the summer movie going season, and this year's olympian taking the helm is "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" and kicks off the summer in a sporting fashion.
    Sure it does not live up to "Iron Man 3" or "The Avengers". However, in the realm of the Spider-Man universe. Marc Webb has enough emotional connectivity to subdue an audience in a trance, With the stunning growth of Spider-Man himself, Andrew Garfield and on screen girlfriend, Gwen Stacy (Emma Stone). Aside from the original "Spider-Man 2" directed by Sam Rami. This fun, and family friendly adventure is most notably the web slinger's best adventure yet. The tagline itself declares "His biggest battle..begins" and to that I say, indeed it has.

A few years have passed since we saw "Spider-Man" on screen, and a lot of things have changed. Peter Parker is battling some inner demons. Dealing with the guilt of dating Gwen, after he promised her father (as Spider-Man) he would leave her out of it his life. Upon graduating high school the two are forced to make some tough decisions. Though that does not stop Max Dillon (Jamie Foxx) a pencil pusher, who everyone ignores, from falling in a vault of electric shock eels and be zap to smithereens. Causing him to become a forced to be reckoned with. "Don't you know...he's Electro". We also get introduced to an ACTUAL Green Goblin, in the form of Dane DeHaan, forcing Peter Parker to reconcile and understand the consequences of his own actions, even if that means hurting the people he loves most. At the same time finding the undiscovered truth about his parents.

I should probably admit now, I was not a huge fan of the reboot "The Amazing Spider-Man" I just don't think I was ready for a reboot yet, and I felt the original "Spider-Man" accomplished more with characters. Plus, with that being said, you knew what was going to happen. Not to mention that the villain was bogus .. I mean The Lizard?! .. give me a break. Needless to say, Marc Webb has fixed those issues, but inclines new ones. It's very clear that Andrew Garfield has come into the role of Peter Parker, and you can clearly feel that within the opening scenes, and it's just a treat to watch. The on-screen romance between Parker and Stacey was one of the best in recent memory. Sally Field also returns as the wonderful Aunt May.

In addition, Marc Webb takes things a bit too far. There were so many characters to keep up with (I thought) and the balance was just not there. I think Electro had fifteen minutes of actual screentime and two battles. Granted, those battles were slick, cool and engaging. I just wanted a little bit more of that blue looking smurf guy. "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" was trying to make the audience feel empathy and to be sappy. The theme of the film is resounding throughout, about facing your fears and dealing with life (something I can appreciate). It's just hard to take it seriously when the film tries to cater to a younger audience, instead of setting a tone throughout the whole film. Films like "The Dark Knight Rises" or last month's "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" which solidified it's tone and never changed. "Spider-Man 2" distinctly goes back and forth and at times get's confusing.

Of course, what is a good Spider-Man film without it's villains. The resurrection of the Green Goblin is a sweet one. A big thank you goes out to Dane DeHaan for reinventing this character to groundbreakingly new heights. A way that James Franco or Willem Dafoe could never dream off. Was Jamie Foxx the best choice to play Electro? Sure why not. Was I particularly moved by his performance? not entirely. The character is fun but, if speaking literally, anyone can play it. The battle sequences themselves, were impressive. I screened the film in IMAX 3D and trust me what an experience it was. My heart was probably about to beat out of my chest in the film's climactic battle.The visual effects have improved vastly, since the last adventure. You can tell the crew had a much bigger budget to cater with.

Usually, the summer movie going season is a fun time. Studios release their big tent poles and never hold back. The summer is already off to a great start. "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" is a blast, and probably the best adventure we have seen the masked crusader in. Marc Webb has some nice stylized sequences that will make any fanboy happy. Not to mention any casual movie-goer. I will probably see this film again for it's fun energetic pace. The two and half hour run-time just flies by. I had some high expectations heading into this film. I mean if you're going to kick of the summer, you better do it right. Once again, Marvel and their ever expanding world of characters, never disappoint. "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" has brought new life into this franchise, and I can't wait to see what the future holds for these characters.

B

Studio: Sony
    Release Date: May 2nd 2014

Thanks For Stopping Buy.
  19. Jul 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well, this was more difficult than I thought. But I made up my consensus. The problem with The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is that the movie has too much content and too much characters that ,occasionally, it feels like a big advertisement for future sequels and spin offs films. Unfortunately, Sony is trying to make their own Spidey universe, building storylines and characters =/= money. It saddens me because the main reason of all the flaws TASM2 has, was Sony's fault. Why can't they just give the rights back to Marvel and let the most famous super-hero of all time join the Avengers? That would make a lot of money! But instead, we have a mixed bag film that you kind have to like it, then you have to hate it. It's very confusing. Relationships work well thanks to its talented cast, the special effects are top-notch and the action sequences still dazzle. The story is interesting and fun but it's too tangled. The narrative lacks focus and the character motivation is not always believable. Electro should have the more development since he is the show of the movie, HE IS THE STAR OF THE MOVIE! But with bloated run-time and the other characters to develop, he didn't get the development he deserved! Rhino was disappointing but he looked awesome with that design. I think Harry is okay, Dane Dehaan nails it. However, Gwen Stacy's death seemed forced to me.

So, in conclusion: In spite the overabundance of characters and constantly tonal shifts, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 still entertains the fans with a talented cast and stunning special effects.
  20. Jul 30, 2014
    Ugh, yeah I get it.. It follows the comics more strictly.. And yeah it's okaaay. But look, this Spider-Man 2 is no comparison to the real Spider-Man 2.

I don't get all the love with these two latest versions. Marc Webb has basically created a Teen Nick Spider-Man. I understand if people don't like Tobey Maguire's face or whatever the excuse is, but this is just incomparable.

because of the consistency with the comic book storyline Expand
  21. Jul 27, 2014
    Too tacky, over the top and way too much use of special effects and slow motion with bad one liners and clichés. Too much is going on and the movie felt pretty pointless yet quite entertaining. Very "americanized" all over.

Genre could be: Adventure, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Drama, Romance, Comedy. I'm not overly satisfied with the movie.
  22. Jul 26, 2014
    Garfield's portrayal of Spiderman is the best thing about the film - often corny but always likeable. After spending a couple of hours quipping and web-slinging in equal measure like the superhero he is, he ends with a pure and real human touch. Better than the first reboot film, but too many adversarial cooks spoil the broth, with none of them quite worthy of carrying the antagonist torch by themselves. Expand
  23. Jul 26, 2014
    Long time fan of Spider-man, as a kid I only bought Spider-man, Transformers and Mask comics. I enjoyed the three Raimi films, third one perhaps not so much.

I'm not quite why there's all these high scores for this film? I'm all for everyone having their own opinions and so on, but this film is a turkey. I've given it a 4 for some great special effects, however the rest of the film has
    issues. The script is horrible, I can't take to Garfield as Peter Parker I actually find his Peter to be irritating. The story is all so inconsistent too, he saves Jamie Foxx's character but not the driver of the taxi or the drivers of the vehicles being hit, crushed or destroyed. We're only in in the first what ten minutes here. The pacing is way off, I actually turned it off just after Harry's change as I was so bored. It felt like I'd been watching for hours, my wife even went to bed about 30 minutes in. Actually I haven't wrote a review of the first "Amazing Spider-man" but if I did I would repeat myself quite a bit!

Must do better, really need to get all Marvel characters back under one movie making roof.
  24. Jul 21, 2014
    the central problem of the film The Amazing Spiderman 2 is that the film can not decide what genre it go blockbuster or drama. And a villians very many.
  25. Jul 19, 2014
    Ohhh Andy Garfield, the kitty cat actor. Watch him look left, watch him look right....watch him nudge your hand with his wittle nooooose.

What a bad movie, on all levels. From the over-romanticized love angle that felt like some ultra-cheesy MTV affair, to the really bad "villains". Their motivations were a joke, Green Goblin looked like a geriatric guy with gum disease, and
    Rhino....Oooooohhh that Rhino.

I can't believe I'm typing this, but even Raimi's Spider-Man 3 was easier to watch. He at least had the roles filled out better, Chris Cooper as Norman Osborn....LOL!!
  26. Jul 14, 2014
    Bad script, poor dialogue, yet ‘amazing’ visuals strengthened with solid acting, The Amazing Spider Man 2 lives down expectations with a scattershot storyline, an overabundance of villains, and a pace far to fast for viewers to enjoy.
  27. Jul 8, 2014
    the best spiderman movie of all time, I think it had a Three Villains, and the last time we saw spider-man movie with Three Villains was Spider-man 3, but this time it worked
  28. Jul 7, 2014
    i cant say that i am not a Spider Man fanboy but lets be honest , the first movie was much better than the second movie. First lets talk about the good parts, Electro was really bad ass in this movie and the action scenes was gorgeous. I really like the Easter Eggs in this movie , when i saw Mr Smite i was asking my self '' Okay they bring another villain in this movie". The acting was pretty good and i really enjoy the jokes. Ok but than it comes The End, i am a very big fan of Green Goblin but lets be serious taht the movie did not show the true power of the villain.Green Goblin its such a complex character and you cant show hes hatred and hes power in just 5 minutes. Than it comes the Rhino which it haves 2 minutes .
    In my opinion The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a really pretty good movie, the actions scenes are very good but are few ( in the prespective of Green Goblin and Rhino) and i really recomand this movie to everyone who like mixed dramatic action movies and who grown up with these wonderful characters.
  29. Jul 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was definitely something I would watch again for the fourth time. Marc Webb really knows how to strike a nerve when Gwen Stacy died. The scene itself was really sad, and the worst part of it was the fact that Spider-Man ALMOST saved her. I mean, his web was shaped liked a hand, like he was reaching for her himself, but in the end, it all ended up with her picture in the sky and the sound of a cannon. I loved Electro in the movie, Jamie Foxx really gets Max Dillon's character. I wish that he didn't die , because he was GOD-LIKE. Also, there was so many other things going on in the movie, I had trouble. My experience was kind of like when Spider-Man was catching the tubes in the beginning. Oh, here's Aunt May, oh now Gwen Stacy and now here's a vision of her dead father, now here's the Rhino. I bet there were people there that were just there because the Rhino was in it and walked out of the theater wanting to punch a wall. Also, there was the whole Harry Osborne thing with his dad, which I think was wasted talent since Norman died right away. I bet if you went to the bathroom at the right time, you would miss the entire thing. I did like the fact that it was a comic book movie, although the last one tried for a more realistic approach, and this movie did kind of keep that, but not too much. One of the biggest pluses of this movie though was the relationship between Peter and Gwen. They are dating in real life so it is kind of cool to reflect their relationship to the Peter and Gwen relationship since most of the filming between them was improvised.
    Aside from the ten million things going on, this movie is pretty spot on.
  30. Jul 1, 2014
    The most romantic spiderman movie ever since that upside-down kiss Tobey/Kirsten and dancing on the kitchen James/Kirsten. Emma Stone was so perfect be Gwen Stacy. And, the whole movie looks like an indie drama movie. I love how the soundtracks were just match with the action scenes, while I felt those soundtracks for love songs. The whole villain assembles also powerful. I wonder who's going to be Mary Jane? Next Amazing Spiderman movies? #SOLD! Expand
  31. Jun 30, 2014
    I saw this a while ago. It was way better than the first Amazing Spiderman. Some elements are better than the first 4. Some elements are not. I still hate it when everyone knows each other or are closely related in some way, even though they are all on different sides. Electro is a decent character, but way to cliché and too easy to defeat. I hated the ending and if this is the direction of the next film, I will be very negative. This movie does a decent job following the father thread from the first movie, but I did not care for it.

This is entertaining and a decent action hero movie. 6 is a nice decent score for it. Not a movie you will fall in love with or remember
  32. CDG
    Jun 26, 2014
    I thought this movie was stellar. It had a few villain pacing problems, but it was an awesome movie that I recommend that has given me a new respect for The Friendly Neighborhood Spider-man.
  33. Jun 25, 2014
    The amount of detail put into this film is incredible, whether it be a simple photograph of Gwen and Peter to the complex intricacy of the web-shooters. The draw back is the over saturated plot and clear merchandizing moments, as they are a plenty. Peter Parker loves Gwen, but is torn in his duties as Spider-Man, this probably should either have been the real focus of the film or it should have been about the villain army master scheme. Both seem to be too much for this one film to handle. Expand
  34. Jun 22, 2014
    I am a big fan of superhero films and I felt The Amazing Spiderman was a decent reboot so I was looking forward to the sequel.The trailer made it look brilliant but when I watched the film I became a little sceptical. The script was good and the CGI was mesmerizing. Jamie Foxx did a good job of getting the audience to empathize with Max Dillon a social outcast. Furthermore Dane DeHaan was brilliant as Harry Osborne. But there were negatives. I felt that for a superhero film the key thing it lacked that every superhero film has is action. There were barely any fight scenes between Spiderman and the villains. Leading on from that point I have to say that in the first film I really got into the Peter/Gwen relationship but in this film I didn't connect with it at all and when it came to her death scene I was actually rooting for her to die, I feel that there was to much focus on this relationship and so it became boring.I felt that despite Dane DeHaan's great performance there wasn't enough of the Green Goblin. he is one of Spidermans greatest villains and he barely got five minutes also I was looking forward to seeing Rhino and he got even less time. Overall the acting and the script were good but the story didn't give off the superhero vibe as there was a lack of focus on the villains but still a decent film. Expand
  35. Jun 20, 2014
    This movie has everything to be, actually, the best Spider-Man movie yet.
    Unfortunately, it isn't.
    Well, I really enjoyed the first Amazing Spider-Man movie, so I thought that this sequel would be better, but I was wrong.
    This movie is really enjoyable, so, all these people who have children will enjoy it with them, but this movie has a lot of problems.
    First, the script, which was
    made by 4 writers, so the movie is a complete disaster,in some parts, the movie becomes boring.
    The film is saved by Peter-Gwen relationship, and a huge Harry Osborn, who is spectacular as the Green Goblin despite that he just appears 10 minutes, but I'm not convinced with his design, very attached to Heath Ledger's Joker.
    The worst of the film, plus its script, witch covers many stories, is Electro, despite his wonderful special effects.

A highly recommended film, which has the best Spider-man to date, but it is not the best Spider-man movie,and it is not a film that should be taken very seriously
  36. Jun 19, 2014
    This movie has a tone of being a totally cheesy comic book movie, in all the perfect ways that you'd convert a comic book into a movie. The visuals are fantastic, the sounds are fantastic. The acting leaves a bit to be desired from time to time, but it's probably because Andrew Garfield drifts between several persona states at the beginning, before the movie settles down and the main plot arc happens. The plot itself is amazing, and has top-level pacing all the way throughout. They've got more than one villain (Green Goblin and Electro) and they blend them together far better than Spiderman 3 mixed Sand Man, Venom, and James Franco Goblin.

You should watch this movie.
  37. Jun 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is amazing. Spine chillingly creepy and startling, it is a prime example of the technology we have access to nowadays. The characters are well constructed and the plot is sturdy, yet it still surprises you now and again. I mean, who could predict that Gwen would… die?!?! The visuals are incredible, and the combination of electric music and lightning when Electro makes his first appearance is incredible, plus the creepy murmuring and whispering that seems to be Max's (Electro's) conscience. Peter also seemed quite real, dealing with real life problems, and not just villains. I would recommend this to anyone who is ready to be amazed. Expand
  38. Jun 15, 2014
    The best Spider-Man movie ever. Trust me, anyone who likes superheroes will love this movie. It will keep you on the edge of your seat until the very end. And remember to watch the end credits scene.
  39. Jun 12, 2014
    Crap . horrible . ilogical . zzzzzzzzzz sleeping , boring . heroe tonto . crap crap crap crap crap, dont pay $ to see this movie. boooooooring . buuuuuuu
  40. Jun 8, 2014
    Well, usually I think films are better than what the critics rate them. In this case however, I think the critics gave this film too much credit. Chemistry between characters just did not seem to be there. The dialog reminded me of the dialog of earlier Spiderman films--a rerun. The mass destruction of New York City is getting old. If Jamie Fox were cast to play Green Goblin, and Dane DeHaan to play Electro, this movie would have at least been more interesting. Expand
  41. Jun 6, 2014
    Great movie, but it has a very misleading trailer and it's a typical "second of the trilogy" movie.

The trailer makes out that certain characters have a large part in the story, but in reality they have a total of about 10 minutes. There are also scenes in the trailer which never happen at all, if they did happen it actually could have improved the story.

The ending ties up leaving
    many story arcs unfinished (typical of "second of the trilogy" movies), which is a bit frustrating but the overall experience of the movie is enjoyable enough to forgive it. Expand
  42. Jun 6, 2014
    I have to be a little hard with this one; because despite my enjoyment this movie has too many flaws...

The acting was superb and the action is very well shoot, the movie in general is very well directed HOWEVER; there is just a general lack of focus in the general movie, it's trying to hard to squeeze every inch of spider-man lore and story lines where none are needed resulting in an
    over crowded movie that is just way too much for it's own good...

Again, in my opinion the movie is good... is just that it becomes too much and the general level of quality suffers for it...
  43. Jun 6, 2014
    so i sat down and watched "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" and honestly: it was pretty decent, i really enjoyed it . by all means, it's not a perfect sequel but i still really liked it and it's a pretty good start of the summer movie season. in this one, Peter Parker gets to deal with Electro and a bunch of other villains to save New York again. and i gotta say, it was pretty damn awesome! Marc Webb really knows how to make action work, and i solute him for that. the action in this movie's top notch and the fight scenes are bad ass with jaw-dropping special effects that make you wanna go "Awesome!". and once again, Andrew Garfield's awesome as Spidey. but does this movie have its problems? yea, it does. like the first movie, (in the reboot franchise) The Amazing Spider Man 2 doesn't have a good narrative. it feels really crowded and unfocused, like some of the characters don't get enough screen time. and this movie has the same problem that "Spider Man 3" had: it has way too many characters. now, usually that's pretty awesome, but here Marc Webb fails at handling them right, cause they're not developed that much. also, there are a few scenes in the trailer that aren't in the movie, and that kind irritated me a little. but, despite its flaws and let downs, i can't deny that i had a great time watching The Amazing Spider Man 2. it was awesome, it was kick ass, it was well-acted and the effects are mind blowing! so let's see how the next chapter's gonna be like. Expand
  44. Jun 5, 2014
    In my opinion, no reboots of Spider-Man can compare to that of the original Spider-Man trilogy with Tobey Maguire. Sure, this film has its moments, but I still don't like it.
  45. Jun 3, 2014
    I thought this movie was very good but also very stupid. The villains worked OK but the development was horrible and there were some ridiculous moments that you really have to bear with especially at the end. (does spider man NOT know CPR?) I found it difficult to determine weather I really liked this movie or didn't like it. There are definitely places they could have done a much better job such as developing the villains which I mentioned earlier. Expand
  46. Jun 3, 2014
    My girlfriend and I really liked this movie. It was well paced and the character were really interesting. The villains could have been better, but I see no problem in that. If you liked the last one you'll like this one as well.
  47. Jun 2, 2014
    We all know how popular superhero movies have become. With successes like Chris Nolan’s Batman, and Marvels Avengers franchise the bar is set high. It’s become easy to be hyper critical of all competitors, and the fan base seems to be constantly divided on every release. So what good is a review? At least 50% of you are going to disagree with it anyway! But, I don’t really care because I have a lot to say and will not be silenced by Internet trolls!

So Amazing Spider-Man 2 came out on Friday, I saw it Thursday at 10:05pm. Since then the Internet has gone a little wild with both hate and praise, and I must say I take the side of pleasure! I loved this movie, like a lot. I feel that it was not only a huge step above the first one but also significantly better than the X-Men movies (First Class excluded). It was a complex story, not in plot but in character development.
    The chemistry between Garfield and Stone is so real, obviously, and it makes the dynamic of Pete and Gwen deeper than it’s ever been before. People whine about the use of Gwen Stacy over Mary-Jane Watson, and I think that’s obscene. Gwen always has been and always will be Peter’s first love and therefore his deeper connection. This shows so passionately on screen that it almost feels like an invasion on Garfield and Stone’s relationship! Not only are they great together, but also separately. Both encompass their characters so strongly that it often feels as if they aren’t even acting. But they aren’t the only two who mesh well. Sally Field’s adaptation of Aunt May is by far my favorite, and she pulled out all the stops in this movie. Some of the most heartbreaking and riveting scenes are the ones where she is the center of attention.

Unfortunately though not all characters fit well. Yes, I am talking about Dane DeHaan as Harry Osborn. I personally feel they should have introduced Harry in the first film, as it felt rushed and fake. Harry and Peter are best friends, in every adaptation, and in this movie it was slightly unbelievable. This made for strange and somewhat impersonal endings, if you catch my drift.

As to the belief there were too many villains, I pose this thought: Bane, Catwoman, Talia & Ras Al’Ghul, Scarecrow, and Dagget. All were in The Dark Knight Rises and not a soul complained then! Not only that, but I would not consider Rhino to have any more of a part in this movie than Scarecrow did in TDKR. Was the Electro storyline cool? Absolutely! In fact I wish there was more of that and less of the Green Goblin, but as a comic fan I do understand his place in the film.

All in all I believe this was a great movie! Maybe not in the same sense as Cap or Iron Man, but in the sense that I was entertained and enthralled the entire time. I think this movie did exactly what it set out to do and that was to tell a Spider-Man story that meant something. Seeing characters adapted on screen from books that I’m passionate about means a lot to me and maybe that makes me biased or blind to issues, I don’t know. What I do know is that ShaunaOH gives Amazing Spider-Man 2 a 7.8/10!!
  48. Jun 1, 2014
    This is a sequel to a Spider-Man franchise done right. Yes, there are multiple villains in this film and that may concern some people due to what happened with Spider-Man 3. However, these villains are fleshed out and to be fair, Rhino is more of a cameo than anything. The direction of the story is compelling because the character development is top notch. I care about the characters because they are realistic and believable (apart from the fantasy part about being a superhero or villain). I found myself caring for the antagonists in the film. Jamie Foxx did an incredible job on Max Dillon/Electro. He had a personality and a soul. Dane Dehaan surprised me with his performance Harry Osborn. I will admit, I was a bit skeptical on his ability to make a great Harry Osborn. All the actors delivered on their part. The story is a great and well thought out plot. The film will take you an awesome and wild ride. The effects are great as well as the action sequences. I would say that the Green Goblin should have gotten more exposition and screen time, but that is a minor complaint on an overall great plot. As a Spider-Man fan, this is a great movie and franchise as well. As a fellow movie lover, great plot, great actors, minor flaws. I give it a solid 9/10. I look forward to what is next with high expectations. Expand
  49. Jun 1, 2014
    I felt as though the the romance is what carried the film. The effects and action are all on point but the villains in this film were pretty weak. Garfield still is the best choice for Parker/Spider-Man. he plays it right. One of the best scenes in the film is the final scene.
  50. May 30, 2014
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2 definitely has an unfocused narrative and overabundance of characters, but redeems itself due to its strong performances and top-notch visuals effects.
  51. May 29, 2014
    Just horrible, every single thing of this movie makes no sense, there's too many things happening, too many sub-plots, there's no motivation for the villains. Just horrible, save your time and go watch the Raimi's films.
  52. May 29, 2014
    This movie was a huge let down compared to the first. Rhino is falsely advertised just so you know. The action and chemistry between Peter and Stacy is the best parts of the movie. The overall story is all over the place. If you're bringing a younger audience the action will be enough to entertain them but for someone who was looking for a better thought out story this movie does not deliver.
  53. May 28, 2014
    Not quite sure why this received a low review from the critics, but with Jamie Foxx's portrayal of Electro I really throughly enjoyed this movie, it was a nice blend of action and story... Its to me much better than the first... I think maybe the issue is that so many villains were featured in one film that maybe some characters felt underdeveloped. But it doesn't take away too much from the story. Go see this movie! Expand
  54. May 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't even know where to begin with this. I love the relationship between Gwen and Spider-Man, and I love to hate Andrew Garfield, but it's so hard to dislike him when he's such a personable superhero that saves a kid from bullying. He's so good, but he's so cocky, and it makes the mixed reactions from the movie's city seem so convincing.

However, when he ties Spider-Man to hope, I just can't help but roll my eyes. Then there is Harry Osborn who I just didn't like in this movie. His voice just grated in my ear, and his turn to evil should have been more gradual. It may have been better to have him slipping and then become the Green Goblin come next movie. Then there is Electro, who is solely driven by need. His beginning is so cliche and he is so one dimension. He just wasn't nearly as epic as the dub step theme he has. Most critics have mentioned this already, but this movie does have some issues with going from funny moments (which are very good) to more emotional moments (which are ruined by the funny moments)

I do like the twist that reveals that the radioactive spider only worked for Peter cause of his dad's DNA being implanted.

I have mixed emotions about the movie, and overall it is skippable, but at the same time, I wouldn't recommend skipping it.
  55. May 27, 2014
    If you're a hard core Spider Man fan and didn't like the Sam Raimi trilogy then by all means go for it. But for me, this movie was just terrible from beginning to end. No heart, no consistency, no conclusions, no point, no real fun, no passion from ANYBODY working on this from the screenwriters to the director! All it ends up amounting up to is a 2 and a half hour long trailer for the Sinister Six movie we all know is going to happen soon.
    Worst comic book movie I've seen in years!
  56. May 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very good spider-man movie again. Special FX are well done and the story is again very entertaining.
    The only weak spot I would find is the build up of the Goblin: A bit to fast to my liking.

To see immediately.
  57. May 27, 2014
    In my opinion, this is almost the ultimate Spider-Man experience. It has fantastic drama, emotion, the characters are relateable, and the action is flawless. Electro is an amazing villain, but doesn't steal the spotlight much from the other villain, Harry Osborn. (We aren't mentioning Rhino) And, in my opinion it holds one of the best handled deaths in cinematic history. That moment in the film is perfectly paced, sublimely acted, and is most assuredly the highlight of this film. For any Spidey fan, this film is a must see. The only real negative to it is that one or two things are a little sloppy. Other than that, this film is, undoubtedly, amazing. Expand
  58. May 26, 2014
    I have no idea why Critics are giving this movie rotten reviews. The movie was well done. Electro and green goblin had a lot of humanity behind them. Jamie Fox and Dane Daunhaunn (i probably spelled that wrong sorry) Play very well as the villains. Dane really brings out the creepynist is the green goblin. Now heads up green goblin is not in there very long nor rhino, but god dang the fight scene between Goblin and spidey was awesome! That would usually bother me that Goblin and Rhino wasn't in there very but you see the central villain is electro and they nailed him. This movie had great acting and CGI. I do like the fact they put spider-man's abilities to the full use. In the original trilogy by sam rami. Spidey's spider sense hardly worked. In this one its used to the max. The Fight scenes with all the villains were awesome. Ok now to Andrew Garfield and Emma stone. Andrew Garfield is the best casted choice ever for spider-man and Peter Parker. Its just the way he acts and talks that makes him more of a believable spider-man. By the way spider-man in this movie is hilarious. Emma stone played very well as Gwen stacy. She wasn't this damsel in distress for spider-man to continuously has to rescue like in the original trilogy. Like her better than Mary jane. This movie also has a huge emotional impact. It's much more Superior then the other super-hero movies with their emotional impact. Now the story does seems a little rushed and because of that. The plot is loose a bit. Thats my only criticism of the movie really. This movie also seems like a build up to the sinister six movie and that really the only reason why rhino is there and green goblin, but its a really great build done right. Also what I appreciate in the movie they did focus more on Peter and Aunt May. There is a huge connection between the two. In the original, she was hardly there. Just there to tell a lesson or a boring story that no one cares about. By the way, the movie has a great soundtrack. Especially Electro's, its awesome. its called: Paranoia. Go look it up. I also heard the 3D with this movie is awesome with this movie. Well thats what I heard. I could go on forever how AMAZING this movie is, but I'm gonna stop here. Go watch and I promise it worth the time. Expand
  59. May 26, 2014
    Is the best movie I ever seen. The story is almost the same the comic books. And Andrew Garfield is the real Spider-Man, much better than Tobey Maguire. I really loved this move. It's GREAT.
  60. May 26, 2014
    Garfield/Webb is quickly becoming to Spider-Man what Clooney/Schumacher was to the Batman franchise. I'm surprised the Transformers didn't make an appearance.
  61. May 26, 2014
    I'm a huge spider man fan and I was in love this movie!!! best visually and entertaining spider man of all time ..this movie keeps a great dramatic dark humor vibe and that's what I like about this movie...they action scenes are pretty stunning to watch.. Jaime foxx looks like a badass as electro and and Dan dehaan gives a evil performance as green goblin but wish he couldn't been in the movie as green goblin more .. but all in all this was a great movie .. and I'm looking for to the next amazing spider man movie Expand
  62. May 25, 2014
    I was a very underwhelmed by this movie, the story was kinda weird and half of the movie was about Gwen and Peters relationship. Electro was done wrong and wasn't that good a villian, he just didn't seem to intimidate unlike other comic book villians like Magneto, The Joker, Loki and Zod in their respective movies. I had no problems with the Green Goblin but The Rhino was just a mess, he was portrayed wrong and was slapped in the movie for no reason and played no role important to the story. But, the action scenes were awesome and the humor was pretty good too. Overall it was an average movie and i wasn't a huge fan. 5/10 Expand
  63. May 25, 2014
    By far and away the worst Spider-Man movie I have ever seen and almost as bad as Daredevil. It barely has a plot at all and the dialogue is so bad most of the scenes involving talking would be better with ear plugs on so you wouldn`t have to listen to them. The guy playing Spider-Man is incapable of delivering a single, ill written line for the duration of the movie. It all comes off as corny(in a bad way), obnoxious, unbelievable or all three at once. He reminds you of why adults as a general rule loathe high school age young people: instead of speaking properly it`s all AAAHMs and EEHs stuck in all over the place, and some annoying cool guy grimace, head bobbing and all the other hallmarks of ham acting and/or a lack of civilized education.
    If it wasn`t for ALL the dialogue in ALL the scenes between Peter Parker and Harry Osborn, all the dialogue between Peter Parker and Aunt May and in particular all the dialogue between Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy I might give this movie about a 4, even if it would then have been about 35 minutes long, if that. But every stilted, poorly written and atrociously directed "love" scene between Parker and Stacy drags the movie down, down down until I for one sat with my sweater upside down over my head to distract myself and so I would not have to watch the disaster. Once or twice I even put my hands in my ears and rubbed vigorously so I wouldn`t have to listen to the inane babble posing as dialogue in this movie. It all sounded as if a couple of underachieving twelve year olds had written it.
    As for the villains, Electro is a black guy while he of course was not in the comics. Otherwise he is the only positive thing I can mention about The "Amazing" Spider man 2. The Green Goblin looks like he has some form of green necrosis whereas he of course wore a mask in the comics. And since he is now played by a guy who looks like weighs about 80 pounds the entire thing just looked silly.
    But these are far from the only deviations from the original story. The Rhino was not a robot, firing missiles at civilians, but a super human bank robber who had been given great strength but also a rhino suit he coulndn`t remove. And to think they stuck the only good actor appearing in this turkey (Paul Giamatti) inside a transformers like rocket launcher before calling this insult The Rhino. i was hoping for as long as possible that it was not The Rhino, but this became impossible as soon as Giamatti shouted "I`M THE RHINO!". Talk about subtle
    Of course the grating Gwen Stacy also dies in the wrong place and about two hours too late to rescue the movie from its complete lack of quality. And even after they finally kill her off, after a ridiculous sequence of baloney inside a clock tower which was more reminiscent of the classic Donald, Mickey and Goofy cartoon than the comic about her death from the 60s, they somehow manage to resurrect her in flashbacks. She even repeats a pointless graduation speech, as if it wasn`t trite enough the first time around. And it`s not just that it`s bad, but that it is never stops. The movie has about a 75-25 balance between these horrible scenes with Peter Parker talking to people, with his best frown and I have a 75 IQ smile on, and action/other, less horrible scenes. But in entirely the wrong direction! I barely had time to lean back with my popcorn to enjoy some dialogue-free action before he was there again, popping up like some recurring nightmare with his unbearably poor dialogue. If Stacy, May and Osborn had all died in the opening scene in a car crash this movie would have been better. I don`t care if they had replaced them with endless scenes of Garfield fighting hoodlums in New York back alleys. It would have been better.

I don`t mind alterations to the plot, which is about 50 years old after all. But at least make them because they are improvements or indeed for some intelligible purpose whatsoever, and not just to make Gwen Stacy a feminist or give the Green Goblin the plague.
    All the CGI in the world couldn`t have saved this one. And I wasn`t all that impressed with the visuals either. All flash and no substance does not a good movie make. You need believable characters, good dialogue and you know...a plot. This movie has neither. Avoid like the Green Goblin`s skin condition!
  64. May 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A problem with these new Spider-Man films is the sense that we’ve gone through all of this before. Sure, the sets and the actors are different, but everything is played out on screen exactly the way it was ten years ago. With the open-ended conclusion of Spider-Man 3 still fresh in our minds, this retelling of a story we’ve already heard reminds us what the future probably holds for superhero movies; a series of reboots with unsatisfying conclusions when the franchise loses steam.

Criticism aside, Harry’s arc here is different. He suffers from a debilitating genetic disease, and the anger at Spider-Man is not due to the death of Norman Osborn at the webslinger’s hands (this Harry hated the guy), but because Spider-Man refuses to contribute his unique DNA to the project.

I am a James Franco fan, but the new guy (Dane DeHaan) gives a compelling performance. He’s great as a troubled rich kid, who’s just inherited the company and has to deal with the sneering disapproval of his board of directors. His complete absence from the first film is a little jarring when he’s supposed to be one of Peter Parker’s oldest and dearest friends: ‘Hey dude, it’s me, Harry, remember? That guy who you haven’t seen in ten years? Remember the good times? Yeah, the good times were good, weren’t they buddy?’ Remember that good old Franco was there from the beginning.

Harry does get one of the most satisfying moments in the film though – a brilliant comeuppance (albeit temporary) for the corrupt corporate executive who ousted him from control of Oscorp. Harry’s set up as a villain, but he’s one of the most sympathetic characters in the film, certainly more so than the main villain, Electro (Jamie Foxx).

Electro started life as a downtrodden and introverted technician at Oscorp, who was given electrical superpowers in a freak accident. Oscorp’s definitely the place to start hanging around if you want something to give you superpowers. He teams up with Harry, whom he sees as a kindred spirit, I guess, and while it’s hugely satisfying to see him calling the shots for once, after all the trouble everyone’s been giving him, he does act a little creepily in his spare time, and has a misguided sense of what the world owes him.

Foxx does well, although it’s not as compelling a performance as some of the highlights of his career (Collateral, Miami Vice, Law Abiding Citizen, Django Unchained, he’s had quite a ride, and I haven’t seen all of his movies. It’s a shame I missed White House Down, but I digress). To be honest, you can barely tell who’s playing the character once the accident turns him into a computer-generated cloud of sparks.

The final fight with Electro, amongst the transformers of a high-tech power station massively over-exploits the contrast between orange and blue which is used so often in film, especially in posters, to the extent that it’s become a cliché. Here, they’re almost the only two colours on screen. The soundtrack during this fight however, is really inspired; a rock and dubstep influenced score with a huge, satisfying power chord echoing through the cinema every time Electro destroys a transformer. He even teases Spider-Man by using this musical ability to play The Itsy Bitsy Spider.

While I’ve waxed about how the ‘new’ Spider-Man is just like its predecessors, I haven’t touched much on the differences. They’ve drawn fresh villains from the existing rogues’ gallery, so that all five Spider-Man films pitch the titular hero against a unique villain, the one exception being Harry Osborn’s goblin. His appearance immediately after the fight with Electro does feel a little tacked on; Sam Raimi’s trilogy spread the Osborn arc over three movies, with Harry’s vengeance bubbling in the background for quite some time.

Andrew Garfield is a more self assured Spider-Man than Tobey Maguire was, at least at first. He approaches crime fighting with a teenager’s light-hearted humour, frequently improvising and dropping mid-fight wisecracks. There’s a great moment when he disappears for a few moments and then blasts Electro out of the sky with a fireman’s hose – when the camera cuts to Spidey, he’s wearing a fireman’s helmet.

There’s a lot going on in this film – in addition to everything I’ve mentioned, there’s a clock tower, an abandoned subway station, eels, a mental asylum complete with evil scientist, and one of those investigative walls of crazy where keywords are drawn on post-it notes and everything is connected by lengths of red string.

There’s also a romance in there somewhere – Gwen Stacey (Emma Stone) and the dilemma of the promise that Spider-Man made to her late father are at the forefront of Peter Parker’s human dilemma. It’s got problems, but this is mainly baggage associated with the superhero/reboot/sequel world the film inhabits. Treat it as a standalone piece of work, and it’s still a decent film, and I forgive it everything for the director being named Marc Webb. That’s got to be providence.
  65. May 24, 2014
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is almost a good sequel. The film focuses on the dilemma of Peter Parker rather than excessive action, has a good cast with a good villain, and some fun action that isn’t excessive. There are two things that hold this movie back from being spectacular one of which isn’t the movies fault and that is marketing. The marketing for this film made it seem bigger than it really was. Had the film just been advertised as Spider-Man fighting Electro I wouldn’t have expected too much out of it but the marketing set the bar too high with excessive trailers, giving away villains that play minor roles, having trailers feature scenes that out of context seem bigger than they really are, and it doesn’t hurt that the film’s catch phrase was “His Greatest Battle Begins.” However, upon a second viewing I’m be more excepting of it and if you are lucky you haven’t been exposed to the excessive marketing for the film and don’t know anything which is how it should be. My second major gripe is the ending, which feels rushed and sloppy in comparison the rest of the film. Had the marketing not built this movie up so much, given stuff away, and misrepresented the film by showing various scenes out of context and had the ending been better written this could have been a spectacular film just as good if not better than the original and could rival and/or surpass the first two films in Raimi’s version of the character. As it is it’s a fun action film that is nowhere near the disaster that Spider-Man 3 was. If you are a fan of Spider-Man check this one out but if you are getting tired of Spidey this film won’t do much for me. If you go to see it though lower your expectations and don’t watch any trailers just know that its Peter Parker dealing with problems and fighting Electro and you’ll probably be entertained outside of the ending. But if you’ve seen the excessive marketing prepare for a major disappointment. Expand
  66. May 24, 2014
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is one of those films that almost fall over its own weight. Its a case where the Studio were so anxious that it almost derails the whole film. Three villains..so many plot points to deliver to lead into the 'bigger' Spider-Man 'universe', and basically storylines for essentially two films were crammed into one single film. It could have been a disaster if only for one thing...Andrew Garfield is a great Spider-Man / Peter Parker. This is the character envisioned in the comic book, more faithful that Tobey Macguire's interpretation. As Spider-Man, he is sarcastic, talkative and funny. As Peter Parker, he is filled with angst at his constant personal problems. Those little emotional moments, be it with Aunt May and Gwen Stacy, or with his other New Yorkers, big and small, are the highlights of this flick, and its saving grace. Expand
  67. May 24, 2014
    OK this is sort of a rant and review so bare with me. Amazing Spiderman 2 is amazingly **** I liked all Spider man movies, yes even Spider man 3 I found somewhat enjoyable, before this one came out. So being a HUGE Spider man fan, I was disappointed. This whole movie, it felt like no one but Jamie Foxx gave a **** The performances felt stiff and bland. The score is one of the worst I ever heard. Especially Electro's theme, which is dubstep. I don' hate dubstep, I actually kinda like it, but this is so bland and generic. Also, the trailers for this movie spoiled everything. Those saying this movie stays truthful to the comics are not right. The only two common things are the web singers, and Gwen Stacy. I'm not going any further as that is spoiling it, as if the trailer hasn't done so already. Also rhino is in the movie for around 10 minutes. Sony, you do realize that some people came to the movie, just to see rhino. And oh my god the end shot of the movie, is in the trailer. I would say more but that is spoilers. This is the worst Spider man movie out there. Expand
  68. May 24, 2014
    NEW review-ish after putting off changing my review I have to saw it's definitely decreased from a 7 to a 6 and barely a 6 I could have made it a 5, but some things saved it from that. After thinking about it for a while there were more stupid things that I have thought about now. Needless to say now I'm fairly disappointed in this movie and don't have much confidence for it's future and I'm a big Spidey fan. Expand
  69. May 23, 2014
    The movie was just convoluted and all over the place. The script should have only focused on one story arc and not try to to add one plot after another. The special effect was nothing spectacular. Overall it lacked story development, dialogue was flawed and cinematography was perplexing.
  70. May 23, 2014
    Wow,must wow. Andre Garfield played the role so incredibly well and put Toby McGuire to shame. Had the best time watching this movie, a must see. .
  71. May 23, 2014
    A film that has multiple plot points frankensteined with excessive fan-service that would make the Avengers franchise blush. The acting is also mixed at best. Despite this, Amazing Spider-man entertains with it's characters and and exciting action sequences.

(The electronic score by Hans Zimmer is also a plus.)
  72. May 23, 2014
    Web slinging spectacular fun! I love this movie! Overwhelming exiting climax! Top notch adrenaline sparkling fun! Well crafted story and an anticipated build up to lead into the next installment. Great characters and acting. This new take on Spider-man is something new and exiting to see what is coming next! It is very creative and fun. Electro, whenever he sparked and caused destruction, it got me pumped just like the swinging scenes and the heroic score and can't forget about the electro dub step. There are many brilliant scenes, normally involving Harry and Peter, Peter and Gwen or Electro/Max. I was not disappointed and can't wait for The Amazing Spiderman 3! Expand
  73. May 23, 2014
    It is a visually beautiful film, but only that. The film errs in the choice of villains and their motivations, which are futile and nothing plausible. Here is not seen the true essence of the hero, and gives me the guarantee of a better future with Spider Man.
  74. May 22, 2014
    Why do so many people hate this movie? Honestly, the film doesn't deserve to be the lowest rated of all the films. For a start, they don't try to characterise 3 villains, there's only really 2. The action scenes are freakin amazing (best one being that fight between spidey and electro in the centre of new york), the plot is sweet and overall, it's just awesome. It even has a sad homage to the comics at least (i think thats what it is, never read them). The only real issues are that there's too much sappy romance and you only see Harry in the Goblin costume like once. But it is a great film Expand
  75. May 22, 2014
    Marvel movies just don't interest me anymore. I have never really been a big fan, but at least back before The Avengers they were enjoyable to say the least.

SPOILER ALERT: The villains suck. Electro is crap. He just whined and moaned about how Spiderman "lied to him" in half his scenes. He is the main villain and he is almost as weak as Sandman in the slightly worse Spider-Man 3, just
    for the record. Rhino is also in the movie and appeared in the trailer just as much as the other two villains, he is actually in the movie for about four minutes. And it's in the last scene. And you don't even see him get defeated. I'm not a Marvel fanboy and have never really cared for the original comics and how close the movies were to them. However if I were an annoying Marvel fanboy I would be pissed about the misleading advertisement. Finally the third villain The Green Goblin, one of the best things about the Raimi Spider-Man movies, is actually pretty cool, it's just a shame that he is only in the movie (as The Green Goblin not Harry Osborn) for ten minutes at the most. DeHaan is the best thing about the movie, he always grabs my attention no matter what movie he is in. The villains are not the only problem with the characters though. All of the cast play messy characters, in a decent way, the only above average performance is from Dane DeHaan who is always strangely entertaining. The plot has potential to be very interesting, but the amount of stuff going on at once is confusing and somehow quite boring. Maybe it is even more overstuffed than the legendary Spider-Man 3. Also the tone of the movie is inconsistent. Sometimes it is grim and reasonably realistic. Others it is like a kids movie full of slapstick gags and lame pants jokes. Some things are just downright ridiculous, I mean Spiderman is basically Superman. He can pretty much fly and use his webs to do anything. Like catch a police car? Seriously? There is no mystery in this movie because it feels like the writers just wrote in new things Spiderman is capable of doing so he doesn't die.

The Amazing Spiderman 2 is probably going to end up being yet another superhero movie fawned over by fanboys for the next couple of years, but personally I won't bother watching it again. I quite like the twist (even if I didn't care for the characters involved much) towards the end, overall the finished product met my expectations. A weak and predictable superhero movie with close to no redeeming features.
  76. May 22, 2014
    You know what? I don't know what to say about this movie, because it's not BAD, it's strange. First,i don't want to spoiler anything, i'll just say that kids won't like this movie. It happens a thing really traumatizing about one of the main character. Some of the kids went out the cinema after that scene. And second, in the trailer is a fake: some scenes of the trailer aren't in the movie and that really disappointed me. Also the villains aren't cool or bad at all. And there are a lot of mistakes in the storyline. But the reasons that made me hate this movie are all the cliches like the german mad scientist. Really, a german mad scientist. Expand
  77. May 21, 2014
    Peter Parker has so much baggage – and it is baggage that drags – I don’t know how he has time to do his homework, let alone fight crime, yet he does. And when I read the whopping 142-minute runtime in advance of the film, I thought that was a little bloated, but it turns out to be not enough for everything director Marc Webb wants to achieve. I’m not suggesting the film should have been longer, I’m suggesting Webb should have tried to do more with less instead of trying to do too much at all. Expand
  78. May 20, 2014
    For the most part I have to agree with the critics on this one. Sure the visual effects are top notch, and Andrew Garfield does play a convincing Spiderman, But the story is very stale. This feels like another basic superhero movie with nothing to expand in the world of Spiderman. That and the on-again off-again relationship between Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy is very confusing. Also would it kill this movie to just stick with one super villain, I mean I love green goblin as much as the next guy but introducing him like 45 and minutes into the movie was a bad directors choice. And having rhino at the beginning and the and just gives us a hint for the amazing Spiderman three. Overall this was a very confusing movie that the Spiderman franchise could've gone with out. Expand
  79. May 20, 2014
    I'll keep this brief, since it's a movie where so much happens you can't help but spoil it in a longer text!! The direction is confident enough to make up for the overcrowded plots revolving it's central character, BUT THAT'S STILL AN ISSUE. Also, the movie comes off as more of a set up than an actual sequel, which is fine cause it still got me excited and wanting to see what cards they could bring next to the table. The cast is definitely what elevates this movie, particularly Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield whose chemistry shines brighter than the Arizona's sunrise and manage to emotionally engage us and root for their relationship. Jamie Foxx was menacing as Electro, Dane DeHaan also intriguing as Harry Osborn and Sally Field also has her share of motherly figure bonding with Garfield's character. I had a really deep contrast relationship with this movie. It wasn't as good as I wanted it to be, but they shoehorn a few characters or plots just for the sake of keeping it faithful to the comics or either adjust it to the next movie's narrative. The movie doesn't drag on at all, but in the end -- of all the main plot points that happen, most are strong like Harry and Peter's friendship or Electro's motivation. But other plot points like the villain Rhino's cameos or the one revolving around Peter Parker's parents disappearance should've been left on the cutting room floor. Overall its exciting and emotionally engaging but its more style than substance at times and feels uneven compared to the previous installment. It repeats a few of Raimi's Spider Man 3 mistakes and it should've learn from it. Expand
  80. May 20, 2014
    This movie had nice special effects and an entertaining soundtrack but the story was lacking. It had several parts that didn't really connect with each other but it really apart with the ending; it was a pitiful and unnecessary, the death served no purpose to the story other than allowing spiderman to continue on unhindered.
  81. May 20, 2014
    This was an entertaining movie from start to finish. Dont look for deeper meaning or overcomplicated grandiose plot themes. A vast improvement on the first movie. Electro was a great villian when he got going. The green goblin was wasted a little and rhino was just an afterthought. Also I am not usually a big fan of 3D but this was probably the best use of 3D I have seen in a movie to date.
  82. May 20, 2014
    This movie its amazing! Gwen was so fantastic, Peter has a great relaction ship whit her, and they explored all the ways to show it, really, was amazing.. I hope Mary Jane will be cool for him
  83. May 20, 2014
    The movie was pretty good. A nice diversion for a few hours. I found it a little slow at times even though there were a number of villains involved throughout.

It changes the Spider-Man cannon a bit if you are into those types of things, if you are, then you will not like the movie at all.
  84. May 20, 2014
    This is an interesting story with many new characters. The performances of the main characters were actually good and you can feel the quemistry between Peter and Gwen but the movie fails in the way the story is told: it is too short and the evil characters are not described as much as they should.
  85. May 19, 2014
    garbage. one of the worst superhero movies yet and the worst spiderman yet. yes worse than spiderman 3. terrible script, acting, and plot holes all over the place. the worst and most insulting part is ending the movie mid fight exactly like the trailer!!! what a joke!!! Who should see this movie? Anyone under 12 might like it. Anyone older stick to better franchise like marvels movies or x-men. Expand
  86. May 19, 2014
    A borderline disaster. Perhaps sufficiently bad enough to kill this incarnation of the Spider-Man series. Dialogue is clunky and the tone of the movie is all over the map. At one point, as Peter and Gwen are in a broom closet at Oscorp hiding out from some nasty security men, they rekindle a discussion of whether she should go to her Oxford study program in England or not. Times Square is laid to waste (again) by Electro and the mass destruction of a New York landmark seems to get lost later in the on-going debate about leaving for Oxford or not.

The musical score is poor and often doesn't support the drama depicted. Dan DeHaan is an exciting young actor but his Harry Osborn seems a tad over-the-top at times. Finally, this smarmy Peter Parker/Spider-Man edition portrayed by Andrew Garfield is, after two films, actually pretty annoying. Sony must feel pretty frustrated with its corner of the Marvel universe. I wonder when the next impatient Spider-Man "reboot" will be green-lit. This edition offers nothing that we didn't see and (dare I say) didn't enjoy better with the first two Raimi films.
  87. May 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It amazes me (pun not intended) how people claim the movie was boring and packed with too many characters. The action and drama made it far from boring. The chemistry between Garfield and Stone was fantastic (it should be considering their real-life romance, but still...); to the people who disagree, you must not know what chemistry is between a loving couple...perhaps you should enter into a relationship such as that, the writing was very good (Electro's cliched villainous remarks aside, but he IS a villain after all), and the storyline was strong.

As for over-abundance of characters...how so? Spider-Man/Peter Parker? Necessary. Gwen Stacy? Necessary. Aunt May? Necessary. Harry Osborn/Green Goblin? Necessary for foreshadowing future events. Electro? You have to pick a villain; he's as a good as any, and he's fresh. Rhino? He was intended as a minor addition--if anyone is a true comic fan, they know heroes often defeat a villain in a few panels at the beginning of an issue, only to face a more dangerous villain throughout the rest of the issue. Norman? Absolutely necessary, but he was (unfortunately) barely in the film. The Parkers? They furthered the plot. Felicia? She was not relevant, but she was hardly detracting. The board members? They were peripheral, but relevant. If you look at the last Spider-Man movie, there was Uncle Ben, Flash, Lizard, other students. The original Spider-Man had Mary Jane in Gwen's place and Betty Brant in Felicia's place. And there was Jameson. How exactly was THAT not an over-abundance?

The reality is, the film was excellent--it instilled a sense of pathos (which any story MUST do) with the conclusion, and truly wrenched at my heart strings, even though I've read the original comics and knew what would happen. I would not have changed a thing except perhaps give Electro a few better lines.
  88. May 19, 2014
    There were a lot of things that I really liked about the film, especially Garfield and Stone's chemistry and the impressive CGI effects. But the film really lacked character development, especially for Harry Osborne and Max Dillion/Electro. I also think that the plot was really jumbled and inconsistent, jumping from a huge special effects infused showdown to a dialogue driven scene between Garfield and Stone's characters. The film overall does a lot right, but it is weighed down by some huge plot holes and incontinent changes in tone. But if you really liked The Amazing Spider-Man or are just a fan overall, you'll definitely enjoy the film despite its flaws. Expand
  89. DCS
    May 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I like Spider-Man, just not this one. To open the movie with a villain ramming and running over cars, which would cause death and destruction to their drivers, Our "Hero" cracks jokes and does very little to actually stop the vehicle. Aquick webbing of the driver would have saved lives. However the director thought we needed EXCESSIVE comic relief. The COMIC relief never stops. The body language of the "Hero" is just goofy. I will never get the image of the "Hero" walking around out of my mind. When he does all I can see is a CLOWN walking around in swim fins. Another point to be made is how to continuously make a kiss shared by a couple, that is so in love, look awkward. They are a couple in REAL LIFE, they know how to kiss. By the end of the movie I just wanted him to go away and villainy to win. I am sad for Stan Lee and what Sony has done. Be Strong Stan Lee, someone will save the image of Spider-Man and make him a believable hero again. Expand
  90. May 18, 2014
    The good: Everything about Gwen's story and the chemistry between Gwen and Peter Parker; the web slinging through the city, which is more visceral and believable by far than in the Sam Raimi movies.

The bad: Overall the movie was too brooding and dark, and the story re Peter's father took too long to unfold. Also, they collapsed what should have been two movies into one. The Osborn
    Green Goblin saga deserved a movie of its own.

Overall, though, to me this is the authentic Spider-Man film series. I love that they really are playing up the Gwen Stacy story. If you could take Andrew and Emma and the web-slinging from these films and plug them into the Sam Raimi movies, you'd really have something.
  91. May 17, 2014
    This movie has the most beautiful special effects of all super heros' movies ever. However, the screenplay try to simplificate the worng things, like the villains' origins; and they didn't separate the Spider man' personality from Peter Parker', so we always see the spidy's personality even without the fantasy. Finally, the movie has a amazing appearance but a awful screenplay (Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone takes Peter and Gwen' relationship to a new level, a great one). Expand
  92. May 17, 2014
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2 offers plenty of impressive special effects and thrilling action, and its leads are as endearing as ever, though an unnecessarily crowded plot keeps it from consistently reaching the heights of its predecessor.
  93. May 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really didn't know what to think of this movie it was poorly edited, the villains were cramped in and the story started out alright but then was just rushed for the latter part of the film and i predicted everything in this film. But there was some light, the acting, the only good part of the movie, Garfield suited Spider-Man and played Parker well, Emma Stone was great but Paul Giamatti as Rhino, the wrong decision, he was only on screen for a few minutes as rhino and he really did not suit the part i was almost laughing just at how over the top he was making the rhino look, so i feel someone else would have better suited the role of Rhino. Anyway, moving along the foreshadowing seen in one scene later in the film revealed that we may see the sinister six in the next installment of the Amazing Spider-Man series- i really do hope they go along with this. Anyway on to the negative aspects of the film- the editing, horrible the film was so jumbled it was making the editing from Dead Man Down look good. There would be an action scene and then it would flick to an out of the place scene not serving any story or actually anything purposeful. And now the story- the most predictable story ever, there was no surprises- NONE, i was bored when there wasn't action and even then some action scenes were just poorly written. And now finally the extremely strange scene where Spider-Man shoots a web which has a hand at the end of it, there is some symbolism here (as he just about to save someone and it is as if he is reaching out for them, and lending his hand- stupid because Spider-Man is a superhero, and i would expect this from a superhero)but this scene is just pointless, stupid and actually a bit embarrassing and it really did ruin the movie for me. To conclude the movie had limited ups and some good moments but for the most part it was a pile of predictable junk. 6/10 Expand
  94. May 16, 2014
    Can someone please pay-off Sony and get the rights back to Marvel? Sony is killing Spidey, and I'm just dreading the day I'm not even the slightest bit interested in the next Spiderman movie, which is fast approaching if Avi Arad has anything to do with it. Don't get me wrong -- Andrew Garfield is perfect. He was a great choice. But let's give him better material. This movie has three villains, played by three talented actors. And yet they all sucked. And wasn't the whole underlying point of this film just a rehash of the first one? i.e. if some crazed psycho wants to kill you, your preppy girlfriend is not the ideal choice of sidekick. In fact, it's better if he doesn't know about her at all, don't you think? Expand
  95. May 16, 2014
    Don't get me wrong the graphics and the way editing technology has been used for this movie is great but the movie JUST BORED ME. I know the views have been mostly positive but the movie seemed to drag on for too long, also the end scene with the rhino fight I fought was the WORST CLIFFHANGER ever even though they show that scene in the trailer I find that element misleading. The trailer looked amazing so I went to go and watch the movie but I was too disappointed and considering leaving at many points of the film. I have to say this is the worst Spiderman movie made so far I think although this is MY OPINION. Many of my friends have said they enjoyed it but I just could not see why. I would not recommend this movie a waste of time and money. Expand
  96. May 16, 2014
    A complete mess with little direction or sense. The characters serve almost no purpose to the overall plot, the dialouge is horrible, and Electro is basically Jim Carrey as the Riddler in Batman forver. Go back and watch this I'm not kidding a complete and utter ripoff. Too much back and forth dialogue with little to no point mixed in with several plot lines that in no way connect.
  97. May 16, 2014
    I didn't think I'd like the first Garfield-Spider-Man version, and was blown away. Similarly, I didn't expect to feel so disappointed by the next entry! Just too much, for me. By the end of the film I was struggling to find the humanity so well built in the first one. It's not a 'bad' movie, but I won't be seeing it again. I hope they either bypass a third entry or hire a much better team of writers to help Webb out. I know they can do better than that! Expand
  98. May 15, 2014
    The Movie was awesome.Best Spidey movie ever.We watched an awesome story,and the focus was in Peter and Gwen's relationship.Jamie Foxx was awesome as Electro,but Dane DeHaan,Andrew and Emma saved everything.BEST MOVIE EVER!
  99. May 15, 2014
    - Inconsistent storytelling
    - Logic gaps
    .........................................
  100. May 15, 2014
    Sou fã do Homem-Aranha desde a infância. A trilogia anterior nunca me satisfez, pois colocava o Homem Aranha não como brincalhão, mas como um tolo. Esse reboot da série faz imensa justiça ao cabeça de teia dos quadrinhos. O primeiro filme já foi bom, mas esse segundo é muito melhor. Conseguiu traduzir plenamente a carga dramática da vida do super-heroi e a verdadeira face do Homem Aranha. É um filme feito e pensado para quem tem o homem aranha das HQs na cabeça. Além de tudo, nota dez para o desempenho dos atores que conseguiram na telona justificar todo o amor entre Peter Parker e Gwen Stacy, química nota dez. Expand

Bloated and often boring and has absolutely no reason to exist, but that it also hits its marks. No fanboy will pass it up. No studio head will lose his or her job.
  2. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    May 1, 2014
    The movie feels not only calculated but tired.
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Mohan
    May 1, 2014
    ASM 2 makes too many of the same mistakes that have brought other superhero movies low (including Sam Raimi's "Spider-Man 3"). It tries to pack in too many characters and plot lines, for one.