7.1

1. Dec 8, 2014
    Although the story sometimes succumbs to some of the 2002's Spider-Man plot points, "The Amazing Spider-Man" is a satisfying installment in Marvel canon thanks to its fantastic cast, well-handed direction and an appealingly dark tone.
  2. Dec 7, 2014
    This is an average movie.The music used was quite good and the special effects were quite good. This movie has an average storyline. Nonetheless, it has a good ending.
  3. Nov 24, 2014
    Peter Parker isn't a nerd, but a handsome hipster only labeled a nerd so he can be the misunderstood boy in girls' middle school fantasies. Am I watching High School Marvelous or a comic book adaptation? The 2002 version is much better.
  4. Nov 22, 2014
    I enjoyed the revived Spiderman even more than the any of the films from the original trilogy. This film focuses more on the Spiderman that we see in cartoons and comic books and Andrew Garfield just seems more suited for the role than Tobey McGuire did. He could never win the fans bad after the dance scene in Spiderman 3. I like the addition of Gwen Stacey as a main character as they areI enjoyed the revived Spiderman even more than the any of the films from the original trilogy. This film focuses more on the Spiderman that we see in cartoons and comic books and Andrew Garfield just seems more suited for the role than Tobey McGuire did. He could never win the fans bad after the dance scene in Spiderman 3. I like the addition of Gwen Stacey as a main character as they are following the storyline that should have been followed during the first 3 films. Expand
  5. Nov 12, 2014
    Soy un gran gran de las películas de Raimi, y esta me pareció muy buena película. Buena historia (más apegada al cómic), buena acción y buena actuación por parte de Andrew Garfield y Emma Stone. Aún así, en mi opinión, no logró superar al Spider-Man de Sam Raimi, y varios factores como un Peter más rebelde y un traje con un diseño bastante distinto al original, además de la carencia de unaSoy un gran gran de las películas de Raimi, y esta me pareció muy buena película. Buena historia (más apegada al cómic), buena acción y buena actuación por parte de Andrew Garfield y Emma Stone. Aún así, en mi opinión, no logró superar al Spider-Man de Sam Raimi, y varios factores como un Peter más rebelde y un traje con un diseño bastante distinto al original, además de la carencia de una buena música (como la de Danny Elfman de la trilogía de Raimi), hizo de esta no se sintiese como una película de Spider-Man. Aún así, disfruté mucho viéndola. Saludos. Expand
  6. Nov 10, 2014
    The Amazing Spider-Man is a mostly successful reboot of Spiderman despite having an agonizingly weak antagonist and shared plots with first Spider-Man movie.
  7. Nov 9, 2014
    After The Avengers and X-Men: Days of future past,The Amazing Spider-Man it's the best superhero movie of all time.A great movie and great actors.The best Spider-Man movie with the second movie of Sam Raimi's trilogy.
  8. Oct 22, 2014
    The Amazing Spider-Man is the story of Peter Parker, an outcast high schooler who was abandoned by his parents as a boy, leaving him to be raised by his Uncle Ben and Aunt May. Like most teenagers, Peter is trying to figure out who he is and how he got to be the person he is today. Peter is also finding his way with his first high school crush, Gwen Stacy, and together, they struggle withThe Amazing Spider-Man is the story of Peter Parker, an outcast high schooler who was abandoned by his parents as a boy, leaving him to be raised by his Uncle Ben and Aunt May. Like most teenagers, Peter is trying to figure out who he is and how he got to be the person he is today. Peter is also finding his way with his first high school crush, Gwen Stacy, and together, they struggle with love, commitment, and secrets. As Peter discovers a mysterious briefcase that belonged to his father, he begins a quest to understand his parents' disappearance – leading him directly to Oscorp and the lab of Dr. Curt Connors, his father's former partner. As Spider-Man is set on a collision course with Connors' alter-ego, The Lizard, Peter will make life-altering choices to use his powers and shape his destiny to become a hero. Expand
  9. Oct 14, 2014
    The Amazing Spider-Man is not as good as the first and second part of the saga of Sam Raimi but it's entertaining and also gives us a new Spidey for a new generation. It's noteworthy a story full of mysteries with a great improvement about the special effects and a nice soundtrack by James Horner. (68 - 100)
  10. Sep 3, 2014
    I really love this movie, its great! Spider-man is undoubtedly my favourite super-hero in the marvel universe, and probably out of all the super-heroes there is at the moment! I loved the new actor and the new plot too, it was a remake off the first spider man with Tony Maguire, and I didn't think it would work before I watched it but let me tell you I've never been more wrong! Also, someI really love this movie, its great! Spider-man is undoubtedly my favourite super-hero in the marvel universe, and probably out of all the super-heroes there is at the moment! I loved the new actor and the new plot too, it was a remake off the first spider man with Tony Maguire, and I didn't think it would work before I watched it but let me tell you I've never been more wrong! Also, some great music in it! Expand
  11. Aug 24, 2014
    Strong 3 1/2 stars.

Very enjoyable. Good plot elements and plenty of that giddy feeling you get when a superhero blooms. However, I found that Peter's discovery of his abilities was somewhat... dismissed and not really focused on. That seemed to be a persisting theme in the movie; it moved fluently and didn't feel empty but nothing was really delved too deeply into, be it people,
    Strong 3 1/2 stars.

However, I found that Peter's discovery of his abilities was somewhat... dismissed and not really focused on. That seemed to be a persisting theme in the movie; it moved fluently and didn't feel empty but nothing was really delved too deeply into, be it people, their evolution or backgrounds.

For whatever reason I thought the Lizard could have been created a little better. There was something off about him, I don't know what, as he looked just as good as the rest of the movie but something kept bothering me about him.

All in all a great movie, with very nice soundtrack and good actor performances. Definitely able to stand in comparison to the other recent Marvel movie endeavors (although I wouldn't yet compare this to the most successful ones).
  12. Aug 20, 2014
    Reboot time! The 2002-2007 Sam Raimi Spiderman franchise came to a close once SM3 disapointed many fans. So long story short the franchise was rebooted. July 6, TASM came . Andrew Garfield starring as Peter/ spiderman and Emma stone starring as gwen stacey. The main villian in this movie is Dr. Conners aka the lizard. Overall the movie was a decent film. I give a 7.8. I did enjoy it though!
  13. Aug 17, 2014
    This reboot is less impressive than the original.

This reboot is less impressive than the original.

There are many silly and weird things that just don't make sense in this movie, and the actor Andrew Garfield as Spiderman is the most disappointed thing, he's so irresponsible. There are some boring and silly scenes that just kept me bored while watching this new Spiderman movie, and there isn't that much positive aspects, (maybe the CGI).

The the less enjoyable action, and a less impressive soundtrack truly made this movie worse than the original movies.

The Amazing Spiderman get a 6.5
  14. Aug 16, 2014
    The movie was ok for the visually stunning part but for the acting and the action scenes the movie just failed.There was not enough action and when there was some of it,it was filmed like ****
  15. Jul 29, 2014
    I believe "The Amazing Spider-Man" has some better qualities than the "Spider-Man" trilogy. Garfield's take on the character seems pretty interesting and fresh, compared to Maguire's, and Emma Stone is adorable as Gwen Stacy. The plot is nothing new and original, the story may seem pointless after so much Spider-Man on screen in the 2000s, but the chemistry between Garfield and Stone andI believe "The Amazing Spider-Man" has some better qualities than the "Spider-Man" trilogy. Garfield's take on the character seems pretty interesting and fresh, compared to Maguire's, and Emma Stone is adorable as Gwen Stacy. The plot is nothing new and original, the story may seem pointless after so much Spider-Man on screen in the 2000s, but the chemistry between Garfield and Stone and some beautiful CGI and sound save the day. Expand
  16. Jul 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I just saw this film for the 32nd time now... It is by far my all-time favourite super-hero flick! I enjoyed every single second! This I believe is the reboot Spider-Man needed... Andrew Garfield i think (in my opinion) best portrayed Peter Parker! the script was amazingly well-written by James Vanderbilt (who also wrote Zodiac and 2003 film Darkness Falls). I absolutely love the director Marc Webb's fresh modern take on the super-hero's origins, from when Peter gets bit by the radio-active spider, and the building of his webbing device! Also want to give huge props to the Cinematographer, John Schwartzman (who recently is working on Dracula Untold, Jurassic World and did the 1996 film The Rock). Expand
  17. Jun 12, 2014
    This movie got a lot of hate and I understand why. It's just not what people expected it to be. I strongly believe that this was a lot better than the older ones with Toby McGuire. This seemed like it actually was able to tell a story. And doing it in a lot better acting. The squeal to this was expected to be good, but I thought it was kind of awful to be honest. Once again I choose, theThis movie got a lot of hate and I understand why. It's just not what people expected it to be. I strongly believe that this was a lot better than the older ones with Toby McGuire. This seemed like it actually was able to tell a story. And doing it in a lot better acting. The squeal to this was expected to be good, but I thought it was kind of awful to be honest. Once again I choose, the first over the second. Expand
  18. May 30, 2014
    Fantastic Movie for the Summer! The Amazing Spider-Man is packed with action and romance and is lead by an amazing performance from Andrew Garfield who makes this film entertaining most of all.
  19. May 25, 2014
    If you could fully trust the title of this movie then I wouldn't be writing this review. While it isn't "amazing", it sure was great. The main draw are the action sequences. Obviously, viewers are limited in terms of feeling like spider man (because, well, it's a movie) but the camera angles give a great sense of swinging like Tarzan across New York City. I especially liked when it wouldIf you could fully trust the title of this movie then I wouldn't be writing this review. While it isn't "amazing", it sure was great. The main draw are the action sequences. Obviously, viewers are limited in terms of feeling like spider man (because, well, it's a movie) but the camera angles give a great sense of swinging like Tarzan across New York City. I especially liked when it would be in a first person perspective. It all gets quite action packed when Spidey fights the big lizard. Spider man climbs atop ceilings, slides, and dashes to evade the destructive force of his opponent. There's is a lot of walls being smashed. So unless you must see explosions in action movies (there aren't much) then you'll be satisfied with the fight scenes. Andrew Garfield gives a very good performance (He's the actor who plays Spider Man). It's comical when he first starts to use his powers. So all of that's great but there are some bad stuff. Some parts are not original. It's been far to many times when the bomb or device is stopped at the last second. And Gwen only falls for peter because he's a superhero. So occasionally you might feel like you've seen this before. But those complaints aren't significant enough for you to not see it. This is definitely one of my favorite superhero movies. Expand
  20. May 12, 2014
    The Amazing Spider-Man is a mixed bag getting a lot of stuff right and some stuff eh. The film smartly chooses to really develop Peter Parker making him a full fleshed out character, which is why I love Spider-Man. The film also smartly goes for a more realistic story as opposed to the cartoony/light-hearted feel of the Raimi films giving the movie an identity of its own. The film suffersThe Amazing Spider-Man is a mixed bag getting a lot of stuff right and some stuff eh. The film smartly chooses to really develop Peter Parker making him a full fleshed out character, which is why I love Spider-Man. The film also smartly goes for a more realistic story as opposed to the cartoony/light-hearted feel of the Raimi films giving the movie an identity of its own. The film suffers though from a not so impressive supporting cast, a second half that lacks the depth/substance that made the first half mostly engaging, and rehashing some stuff from the original film. At the end of the day though I liked it. In all honest there are two big reasons why this film didn’t leave that big of an impact on me. For starters, I have immense love of the original films (especially the first two), which will be hard to shake and the fact that this film is coming out ten years after the original Spider-Man movie and five years after the last Spider-Man film so that one is still stuck in my mind. Maybe if the film had come out later or been the original Spider-Man movie I would be more in love with it as opposed to comparing it to the original because it works as its own thing. The second reason why I feel like this movie didn’t make that big of an impression on me was because it came out the same year as The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises two big superhero movies that had a lot of people talking and I guess this one just got lost in the shuffle. So if you are one of the people who missed this film when it came out check this film out as it is entertaining. I’d especially recommend it to people who didn’t think much of the original film as people who didn’t care much for it (ex. Doug Walker, Confused Matthew, and Roger Ebert) seem to prefer this one. If I could shake my nostalgia for the original I’d probably really enjoy it to. If you are a die hard fan of the original like me then try to go in with an open mind or you will be disappointed like I was upon my first viewing. The second time around I was able to accept the film for what it was and appreciate it for what it was trying to do. This is a good start to this new Spider-Man franchise and I hope that Sony keeps it going and doesn’t botch up the second one along with the other planned sequels or they’ll have to try again in another 10 years (which they will probably do anyway) and I don’t know how it will be reviewing the reboot of the reboot. Expand
  21. May 5, 2014
    This film is the second worst spider man film, ok this is more kind to it source material but it is still a bad movie with a terrible vilain, but emma stone save a hole part from this film.
  22. May 4, 2014
    Very decent spider-man film, sadly the main problem i have with the film is the fact that it really feels, slow, boring and doesn't have that FUN witty Peter Parker/spider-man charm also the Villain, The Lizard was pretty terrible their wasn't any really reason for me to FEEL anything for him. Otherwise its a good film with amazing visuals and a brilliant cast with cool little hints at 2Very decent spider-man film, sadly the main problem i have with the film is the fact that it really feels, slow, boring and doesn't have that FUN witty Peter Parker/spider-man charm also the Villain, The Lizard was pretty terrible their wasn't any really reason for me to FEEL anything for him. Otherwise its a good film with amazing visuals and a brilliant cast with cool little hints at 2 whats to come from Marc Webbs spider-an film series. Expand
  23. May 4, 2014
    The Amazing Spider-Man is not a perfect film, by any stretch of the imagination. It isn't a groundbreaking one, either, by virtue of being a reboot. However, the film that we got was far better than I expected it being, and is in my opinion, the best Spider-Man movie we have to date.

For the rest of this review, I'll be referencing the original Spider-Man from 2002, directed by Sam Raimi, which I will refer to as "SM1." I'll be referring to this film as "TASM."

Being a reboot, it improved, and even managed to fix, a lot of problems that SM1 had. The biggest overall difference is the tone of the film itself. It's more grounded in reality than SM1. It's still a fantastical film, what with a teenager having super-powers, and giant lizard people, yet the tone the film establishes, despite these fantastical elements, works very well. This is thanks to the caliber of acting and the dialogue itself.

Characters are played believably. The character of Peter Parker is one of an average, teenage high-schooler. He's smart, but not obnoxiously smart. He's nerdy enough to be overlooked and bullied by the popular crowd, and he doesn't have to rely on tired nerd stereotyped that were outdated in the 1960s, ala SM1. Andrew Garfield's performance, both as Parker and Spidey, works very well. We believe that he's an average high schooler in this world, and we also believe he's the wise cracking, mask wearing web slinger thanks to his overall range of acting. You buy his emotional scenes just as much as you do his comedic ones, again, thanks to the well written dialogue alongside his shining performance.

Garfield stars opposite of Emma Stone, who plays Gwen Stacey. Gwen's character may not steal the show as much as Garfield's but she's easily one of the best actors in the film. She's just as believable as Garfield is on screen, and so is the romance that occurs between the two.

Marc Webb had previously directed an off-beat romantic film, called (500 Days of Summer), and his talent with that genre shows here. The on-screen chemistry between Garfield and Stone is almost so real you can feel it, and both actors turn in amazing performances while doing interesting things with established characters from the source material.

The pacing of the film is a little off. Considering this is a reboot, it retreads tired ground we've seen in SM1. That doesn't mean that these new takes on old scenes are bad, mind you. In fact, I prefer most of them. It's just that it takes a decent amount of time for the movie to actually kick off and get started as a kick-ass superhero flick. The grounded tone may help the pacing a bit, but not enough to save it from dragging on just a tad bit too long in the first act.

The scenes shown when Parker gets his Spider-Man powers are hilarious as they are intriguing. It was great seeing him adjust to all of these sudden changes, as well as producing his own wrist mounted web shooters and the webbing they use. Considering Garfield is believable in this role, it's not a stretch to imagine that Peter would be capable of doing such a thing.

The costume design reflects this notion, as well. While some aren't too happy with the costume in this film, I'd say it works well for what the director was trying to achieve. The thin lines on the suit help to accentuate Spidey's more slim tone, and he doesn't look beefy in comparison to Maguire's build in SM1, and overall, it compliments the character of both Parker and Spider-Man.

Every main character in this movie is developed very well. We get to see a glimpse into all of their lives; their workplaces, their schools, etc., and how they act and react to and around people, and all the performances are believable. Character development, especially on Peter and Gwen, as well as Cpt. Stacey, is done exceptionally well.

This movie would have perfect character development if it weren't for the villain. Without giving anything away, after some pretty gnarly stuff goes down with his character, we're not too quite sure what his general intentions are after that. Not enough time was spent on his character, and this is a 2 hour film. It's a shame.

The action scenes work surprisingly well, sometimes opting for practical effect which look amazing, and wonderful CGI scenes that are just as serviceable. Most of the action takes place during the night time, which is kind of a shame for Spidey, whose costume works very well during the day, but as a whole, the film and its effects are enthralling to watch.

All in all, I'd say this is a great superhero film. It's not as grounded as Nolan's Batman trilogy, yet it's not as campy as Raimi's Spidey films. It hits a perfect balance somewhere in between. The humor, characters, action, romance; everything in this film just works, and I highly recommend it to both fans of the character and those looking for a solid summer film to watch, in general. It's a great film, let only down by poor development on the villain.
  24. May 3, 2014
    This movie came out a while ago and so ill keep it simple for anyone who hasnt seen it yet. Its a good movie. period. It makes for one awesome summer flick! very enjoyable!
  25. May 1, 2014
    great movie, with intense action and good characters. My favorite Actor was Andrew Garfield He's amazing in this film, and The writing was good. This movie was stellar movie with a stellar cast and great writing to keep you interested
  26. Apr 27, 2014
    This movie surprised me. After the fiasco that is Spider-Man 3 I just about lost hope for the Spidey Franchise as a whole. So once i heard they were rebooting the franchise just 5 years after Spider Man 3 you could see my concern. But I am very happy to report that this film was great. Andrew does a great job as Peter and the chemistry between him and Emma just bring this movie to life.This movie surprised me. After the fiasco that is Spider-Man 3 I just about lost hope for the Spidey Franchise as a whole. So once i heard they were rebooting the franchise just 5 years after Spider Man 3 you could see my concern. But I am very happy to report that this film was great. Andrew does a great job as Peter and the chemistry between him and Emma just bring this movie to life. Rhys Ifan's as Dr. Curt Connors a.k.a. The Lizard was the one weak spot in the movie. I didn't feel any emotion or life in this CGI villain. But other then that this is a good film. Two thumbs up. Expand
  27. Apr 27, 2014
    An alright superhero movie. I was never a big fan of the first Spiderman movies and not a fan at all of Spiderman in general. He is one of my least favourite superhero's. There were some cool action scenes in this movie to keep me entertained enough but nothing to special at all.
  28. Apr 26, 2014
    I heard many mixed things about this film so I went it with middling expectations. I was a huge fan of the Sam Raimi Spiderman trilogy due to the fact that it was the first superhero film I saw and they were released as I grew up. Now with Amazing Spiderman its a bit darker, less cheesy and I have to say a lot better.
    Peter Parker, played by Andrew Garfield, is the geek we have come to
    Peter Parker, played by Andrew Garfield, is the geek we have come to know and love, but his geekyness has moved with the times. He is now what a geek would be seen as in modern society. He is quiet, has a hobby that he loves to do and he is interested in stuff at school. He is no super nerd like Toby Maguire's Parker but the stuff he likes, he knows very well.
    He has a thing for Gwen Stacy, played by Emma Stone, and she sort of has a thing for him too so the awkward chemistry between the two is already set in stone even before he gets his superpowers unlike the Peter/MJ romance from before.
    After finding out new information about his parents death Peter seeks out Dr. Curtis Connors, his fathers partner at Oscorp. Peter gets bitten by a spider on the subsequent visit, gains powers and BAM! Spiderman is born! Curt however is researching animal DNA to bond with human DNA in order to overcome obstacles humans face. When he combines his DNA with that of a lizard, he transforms into the films villain...The Lizard.
    So there are as many as three or four stories going on in The Amazing Spiderman at one time, so that justifies the 2 and a half hour run time pretty well but there are a couple of problems with this. The whole story about Peter investigating his parents death gets put to the side and is never brought up again after only being going about 40 minutes, leaving it unexplained. The vengeance on Uncle Ben's death is also dropped, which despite it being dropped for bigger more important things, is still a little stupid because the whole point of getting revenge on Ben's killer was to teach Peter that revenge isn't the answer and so that was never realised. Curt Connors is also not really explored as a character, he is very two dimensional up until his transformation and then he is just a straight up no holds barred bad guy for no apparent reason apart from to move the plot along.
    The rest of the film is excellent though and exactly what a Spiderman film should be. Andrew Garfield is a much more Spidey-like Spiderman than Toby Maguire was, Emma Stone's Gwen is actually pretty interesting compared to Kirsten Dunst's boring MJ. Everything has been stepped up a gear and yes the film has its shortfalls, but as a whole product, The Amazing Spiderman is the best Spiderman film to date and one of the best superhero films I have seen in a while.
  29. Apr 21, 2014
    This movie is a pathetic reboot of the original, tottaly destroyed everyhting the original stood for. Peter Parker is no longer a HUMBLE KID with HIGHSCHOOL PROBLEMS, and in the brink of POBRETY alone with his aunt, he is instead an Aristocratic Duoche bag, with Perfect looks, ALL the **** a Perfectly normal Highschool Life and With a GENERIC PERSONALITY.

Well actualy...Everything About

Well actualy...Everything About this movie Is FU***NG GENERIC,

Even the tittle "The Amazing Spiderman" lmao!

wich is Why I found it disapointing and BORING. Tottal spit to the face of the original and completly unnecessary.
  30. Apr 6, 2014
    I dunno what all the hate for this movie is about. It's not the best, it's not the worst. It's a fun Spiderman movie if you like Spiderman, but if you're not really a comic book person then you can safely skip this movie without having missed much.

1. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Jul 5, 2012
    This might be a fun summer blockbuster if only it even remotely needed to exist.
  2. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Jul 3, 2012
    In short, the character is a lot like the way Stan Lee first envisioned him, but the trilogy's screenwriter Steve Ditko would probably loathe this new, unsatisfying, and hollow-feeling entry into the new cinematic Marvel Universe.
  3. Reviewed by: Joshua Rothkopf
    Jul 3, 2012
    On the whole, it's passable stuff, a surprise, given how mechanical the masked character seemed.