The Amazing Spider-Man

7.1

1. Jun 12, 2014
    This movie got a lot of hate and I understand why. It's just not what people expected it to be. I strongly believe that this was a lot better than the older ones with Toby McGuire. This seemed like it actually was able to tell a story. And doing it in a lot better acting. The squeal to this was expected to be good, but I thought it was kind of awful to be honest. Once again I choose, theThis movie got a lot of hate and I understand why. It's just not what people expected it to be. I strongly believe that this was a lot better than the older ones with Toby McGuire. This seemed like it actually was able to tell a story. And doing it in a lot better acting. The squeal to this was expected to be good, but I thought it was kind of awful to be honest. Once again I choose, the first over the second. Expand
  2. Jul 4, 2012
    AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: 9.5 This film is a terrific "reboot" of the spider-man franchise. While we did have some retread of familiar ground, the necessary story elements that were repeated were done in a slightly fresher approach. From the spider bite origin of our hero to the inevitable death of Uncle Ben each classic moment was given a fresh coat of paint and melded into the modern storyAMAZING SPIDER-MAN: 9.5 This film is a terrific "reboot" of the spider-man franchise. While we did have some retread of familiar ground, the necessary story elements that were repeated were done in a slightly fresher approach. From the spider bite origin of our hero to the inevitable death of Uncle Ben each classic moment was given a fresh coat of paint and melded into the modern story nicely. Even though I did enjoy Toby's portrait of the web head, Andrew Garfield fits the bill as BOTH high-schooler Peter Parker and Spidey himself. Garfield able to maintain every bit of the character in and out of the blue and red costume that made his portrayal feel more like the comic book character than ever before. The changes in the costume were not distracting in the least, the main villain was well thought out and acted plus all of the supporting characters built the frame work for what could be a terrific series of Spider-man Movies for today's audience. It may not be the big "explosive" blockbuster that was Avengers, but it is full of fun,heart and excitement all the same. Go see it and finally see why SPIDER-MAN has been such an enduring comic book character all these years. I look forward to more films in this newly minted franchise. Expand
  3. Jul 8, 2012
    Lets give you the bad stuff first. I take away 1 point for the lack of Spider-man action. As you may already know from reviews... It takes a bit of time before you get proper costume.
    When Spidey action does kick in, you grab some popcorn and it's over before you even put it in your mouth. That's most of the action sequences obviously some are longer than others. 1 point deduction for weak Spider-man character building.
    You know how in Sam Raimi's version you got or understood a healthy amount of time had passed from when Parker first becomes (the real) Spider-man to him getting famous from the media? Well that is non existent in this and it's taken for granted that you should know that has happened.
    Yeah it's not fair to force Mark Webb replicate what's been done before but it makes the new film seem rushed and haphazardly put together.

The last 1 point taketh away is what I like to think of as the George Lucas writing technique... Lazy story writing and the need to connect everything together. Treating you like a dumb4ss.
    You know this big world we live in!? Wouldn't it be cool if we condensed that so it seemed like that "WHOLE WORLD" was the size of a street?! Wouldn't that be cool? Wouldn't it?! My grandpa knows your grandpa and he's also gonna know a kid who is gonna invent RD-D2 and C3PO! Every body is connected yay!! Who needs random? Random? Pfft, randomness is so overrated and unimportant. The Good.
    Everybody gives an Oscar winning performance. Martin Sheen is everybody's uncle! Sally Fields portrays aunt May with such sadness that you get what Peter feels.
    Emma Stone... this girl can make a Uwe Boll film good. She is Gwen Stacy. 100% better than Dunst's Mary Jane. Rhys Ifans does a very good mix of cold and hot as Curt Connors. He can go either way and which ever way he turns you accept it.
    Dennis Leary didn't need to be there and seemed a bit star overload. But he gave a non Leary performance meaning he can act differently when directed right.
    Andrew Garfield again not much needs to be said about this guy. Ever since his role as Eduardo Saverin in The Social Network, you knew he was going on to juicier stuff. This guy can act and in this he has Peter Parker down to a tee. Akwardish guy that is believable when he comes out of his shell and his Spider-man ego is just like his comic book self.

The effects are good but what do you expect in this day and age? It's a far cry from Raimi's weirdly plastic CGI Spider-man at least from the first movie.
    The first-person view free running scenes are fun in 3D giving you a chance to see it through Spidey's eyes.
    The story is good but not amazing though it flows well. It's a more upbeat Spider-man film that the ones preceding it. Which is a sigh of relief because I wanted to slap Raimi's Peter Parker when he blubbered and whined. None of that here. No whiney Mary Jane either!
    Without giving away anything their are little minute details in the movie that should be applauded.. Watch it to see what I mean.

Conclusion.
    As much as I hated the EMO "woe is me" overtones of Raimi's Spider-man. It's the superior film over Mark Webb's. Raimi being an actual lifetime fan of Spider-man knew how Spidey fought and moved. Though I guess we could defend the new version as more inexperienced Spider-man.
    It's not too inferior mind... It's just that nothing new has been put on table. You would have thought with The Avengers film coming to fruition at almost the same time they would have liaised and came to the same conclusion that a lot of costume time would have been better. If only you could splice Raimi's and Webb's films together then you'd get the perfect Spider-man.
  4. Jul 19, 2012
    There is a thin line between great CGI and over the top CGI, and this movie is trying to woo both sides. Spiderman has always been a great movie to watch with the whole family, and while it moves up to being a teen film it still stays true to family fun.
  5. Jul 9, 2012
    I was a little on edge about this Spider-Man reboot because I grew up watching Sam Raimi
  6. Aug 11, 2013
    I think this is a fantastic movie and in my opinion better than the other Spider-man movies. They choose the perfect actor to play Peter Parker/Spider-man. Overall a really enjoyable movie for comic book fans and fans of good movies.
  7. Jul 4, 2012
    It's a good movie, not perfect, but entertaining as hell. The Amazing Spider-Man is as good as Raimi's "Spider Man" (Not as good as "Spider Man 2"), but it is certainly more angsty and smaller in scope.

If you're ok with that, then prepare for a Marc Webb experience :)
  8. Feb 28, 2013
    It's not a movie that wins awards and it's not close to reaching the magnificent height of "The Dark Knight", the best super hero-movie to date, but who cares? This film has got just the right amount of action and humour that is expected out of a Spider Man-film, and Andrew Garfield actually makes a great performance as the classic super hero.
  9. Jul 4, 2012
    I liked Tobey's version when it came out, but now that I've seen Andrew's version, I think they raised the bar. Raimi's trilogy (at least at first) seemed to stick to the well-known origin story. This one modernizes it a bit and, understandably, they tried to stay away from comparisons to the original film as much as possible. I'm not crazy about all the changes, but I think they workedI liked Tobey's version when it came out, but now that I've seen Andrew's version, I think they raised the bar. Raimi's trilogy (at least at first) seemed to stick to the well-known origin story. This one modernizes it a bit and, understandably, they tried to stay away from comparisons to the original film as much as possible. I'm not crazy about all the changes, but I think they worked well. Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy sells her role much better than Kirsten Dunst sold Mary Jane Watson. And I have to agree with reviewers who said the chemistry between the leads was much better in this version. I saw no problems with the CGI or effects. I think they were faithful to the characters of Uncle Ben, Curt Connors, and even Captain Stacy. There's an obvious back story they left unfinished so looking forward to more. Expand
  10. Jul 18, 2012
    I quite enjoyed this movie.The lead actor is far better than Toby Mquire in my opinion,& the film definately had its moments & it felt 'more real' in the way it was presented as opposed to the very bright & colourful look of the Sam Raimi films.I dont think the action was anywhere near as good as the Raimi films so far though,& no where near as much of it.Still,its only the first movie inI quite enjoyed this movie.The lead actor is far better than Toby Mquire in my opinion,& the film definately had its moments & it felt 'more real' in the way it was presented as opposed to the very bright & colourful look of the Sam Raimi films.I dont think the action was anywhere near as good as the Raimi films so far though,& no where near as much of it.Still,its only the first movie in this series,so theres room for improvment in this area in any sequels,of which i hope there are. Expand
  11. Jul 3, 2012
    I just finished watching the midnight showing and I can proudly say that this movie is an improvement over the previous ones. The way he gets his powers and why he has them are much more explained. The villain is amazing and the actors are great. There's also some comedy which put together with everything else makes this a fantastic movie.
  12. Jul 9, 2012
    After seeing this I wondered why Spiderman was NEVER this good! This movie is FANTASTIC!! It is the BEST Spiderman movie yet!! I love this new direction for Spiderman its more interesting...more captivating...so cinematic! This is one of my favorite movies for numerous reasons. This movie is most true to the comics. Spiderman is more flexible and agile than ever before. He has a real senseAfter seeing this I wondered why Spiderman was NEVER this good! This movie is FANTASTIC!! It is the BEST Spiderman movie yet!! I love this new direction for Spiderman its more interesting...more captivating...so cinematic! This is one of my favorite movies for numerous reasons. This movie is most true to the comics. Spiderman is more flexible and agile than ever before. He has a real sense of humor, and captures the hurt from loosing his Uncle and the nerdy teen that we associate with Spiderman perfectly. The special effects top notch and the fight scene are choreographed better than Spiderman 1,2,and 3. They showcase both Spiderman and The Lizzard's abilities perfectly! See this movie if you havent! If tickets werent so expensive now a days I would see this twice!!! Expand
  13. Jul 17, 2012
    "The Amazing Spider-Man" is one of the most enjoyable and engaging comic-book films to come out recently. The new cast of characters brings an interesting dynamic to this new version of the Spider-Man origin story, which still has not been fully told. This journey of discovery Peter Parker goes on makes him more human and interesting. Although there are a few tiny areas of wasted potential"The Amazing Spider-Man" is one of the most enjoyable and engaging comic-book films to come out recently. The new cast of characters brings an interesting dynamic to this new version of the Spider-Man origin story, which still has not been fully told. This journey of discovery Peter Parker goes on makes him more human and interesting. Although there are a few tiny areas of wasted potential and plot lines (some major but most very minor) that don't go anywhere, this is a worthy entry into the Spider-Man saga. I enjoyed this even more than the 2002 original. Expand
  14. Nov 30, 2012
    This is by far the best spider man movie yet.Never thought a reboot of spider man would be 10 times better than the first spider man movie.Maybe it was the story line of the first spider man movie that made me fall asleep or could it have been the acting of Toby Maguire that made me hate Spider man 1,2 and 3. so when saw the trailer for the amazing spider man I truly thought this couldThis is by far the best spider man movie yet.Never thought a reboot of spider man would be 10 times better than the first spider man movie.Maybe it was the story line of the first spider man movie that made me fall asleep or could it have been the acting of Toby Maguire that made me hate Spider man 1,2 and 3. so when saw the trailer for the amazing spider man I truly thought this could probably be the worst spider man movie ever made.But never judge a book by it's cover or in this case never judge a movie by it's cover the amazing spider man is easily one of this year's best movies in my books.Glad I did not judge the movie by reading the other reviews given by other users on this website.Just have to say again the amazing spider man movie is the best one yet and I truly hope there could be sequel's if the amazing spider man so good who knows how good the sequel's could be. Expand
  15. Jul 7, 2012
    While I still believe Sony pulled the plug on Spider-Man 4 and everything, I think Amazing Spider-Man did pretty well for itself. It certainly wasn't great but I can sit here and tell you it was very good. The story doesn't stray too far away from the first Spider-man film of the last trilogy back in 02', so there isn't much originality. The action scenes were decent, fights with SpideyWhile I still believe Sony pulled the plug on Spider-Man 4 and everything, I think Amazing Spider-Man did pretty well for itself. It certainly wasn't great but I can sit here and tell you it was very good. The story doesn't stray too far away from the first Spider-man film of the last trilogy back in 02', so there isn't much originality. The action scenes were decent, fights with Spidey and Lizard are back and forth battles and great to watch. The one thing I was really worried about was the cast, luckily they proved me wrong. The comparisons are inevitable, people (including myself) will compare Andrew Garfield and Tobey Maguire unjustly. Maguire had 3 movies to cement his legacy, Garfield just this one. With all that said, I think Garfield does a better job of being Peter Parker than he does Spider-Man. He's a spot on Peter Parker in terms of size, mannerism, the way one would picture a "real life" Peter would act. As Spider-Man however, it's a bit raw. He brings the constant sarcasm and wit that the Maguire Spidey didn't do too much, but Garfield did go a bit over the top at times. Emma Stone, who plays more quirky characters in her career, ends up doing really well as the level headed Gwen Stacy. Rhys Ifans does a better Curt Connors/Lizard than expected, you could really feel for his character, also appearing pretty bad ass in the fight scenes as well. Very well done for Sony, hoping they take this trilogy in the right direction. Expand
  16. Nov 23, 2012
    The Amazing Spider-Man is the amazing reboot to Spider-Man. Andrew Garfield plays a believable Peter Parker, as many nerds can relate to his emotions and his lifestyle. Plot(no spoilers): The Amazing Spider-Man gives audiences the back story behind the mysterious disappearance of Peter's parents. One day when Peter stumbles upon his father's old briefcase, his life changes forever. ManyThe Amazing Spider-Man is the amazing reboot to Spider-Man. Andrew Garfield plays a believable Peter Parker, as many nerds can relate to his emotions and his lifestyle. Plot(no spoilers): The Amazing Spider-Man gives audiences the back story behind the mysterious disappearance of Peter's parents. One day when Peter stumbles upon his father's old briefcase, his life changes forever. Many signficant changes to his ordinary lifestyle include his new relationship with fellow classmate, Gwen Stacy (Emma Stone); To the murder of his beloved fatherlike Uncle Ben (Martin Sheen). Ultimately, these are nothing compared to the mutated spider bite which gives him Spider like powers such as sticking to walls and great reflexes. As he becomes thankful for his powers, he accquires a relevation that makes him want to become much more, The Amazing Spider-Man, keeping the streets of New York clean. Along the way however, he becomes a part time lab partner with Oscorp Industry's Dr. Connors (Rhys Ifans) working towards the better health of mankind. However when Connors injects himself with the untested regenerative antidote, he becomes The Lizard and is a potential threat to the well being of New York. As Peter realizes his part in The Lizard's creation, he believes it is his responsiblility to make sure he doesn't harm any civilians. My opinion: the CGI was top notch and the acting combined with the story is enough to make any audience feel for the emotions Peter experiences throughout his lifechanging story. Comparison to Spider Man: A decent number of scenes, lines, and story plot are quite similar in terms of his origin story, and his family life. However The Green Goblin and The Lizard have completely different motives as antagonists, however they both have similar origins. I would recommend this to anyone, especially those who have never fully experienced a live-action Spider-Man movie, and to those who are die hard fans Expand
  17. Aug 8, 2012
    Being a fan of the old Spiderman movies i was curious as to how this one would turn out. Once I heard that Andrew Garfiled was going to be Spiderman I got excited. His performance in The Social Network was Amazing. Also Marc Webb the director of 500 days of Summer which I loved directed this film, and Emma Stone is playing Gwen Stacey, so far this movie looks great. Then I saw it and wasBeing a fan of the old Spiderman movies i was curious as to how this one would turn out. Once I heard that Andrew Garfiled was going to be Spiderman I got excited. His performance in The Social Network was Amazing. Also Marc Webb the director of 500 days of Summer which I loved directed this film, and Emma Stone is playing Gwen Stacey, so far this movie looks great. Then I saw it and was blown away. The acting was great, and the chemistry between Andrew and Emma was awesome, The special effects were brilliant, and it was a great spin on Spiderman which I loved. Many people find it different from the original. But it's suppossed to be different, its a reboot, not a remake. Why would you want to watch the same movie twice. Anyway this movie was very entertaining and I loved it. Expand
  18. Aug 10, 2012
    While Sam Raimi's earlier version was more poignant, I think I prefer this latest incarnation in terms of the cast, choreography, and overall production.
  19. Jul 10, 2012
    I viewed the amazing spider man and love all the action scenes. There was so much action and real suspense, that is how a movie should be and that is what your money is really worth. The reptile look so scary and being in a room alone will give you the hebejebes. I loved this movie a lot. This spider man film is starting off when he first became what he had became. In the comic book he wasI viewed the amazing spider man and love all the action scenes. There was so much action and real suspense, that is how a movie should be and that is what your money is really worth. The reptile look so scary and being in a room alone will give you the hebejebes. I loved this movie a lot. This spider man film is starting off when he first became what he had became. In the comic book he was suppose to be bitten by a radioactive spider, that is the man reason he can walk walls, just like a spider does, he can shoot web just like a spider, well almost most. The red costume is to conceal his real identity just like Superman and Batman. Spider man's main purpose is to stop and rid of crimes and violence in the city. I wish he was working for the Detroit police department, maybe it will fix the crime problems going on in that city. Well anyway. I think New York city is the perfect place to film that movie and working along side the NY PD is awesome. The best spider man film I really loved the most of all superhero films is, Spider man 2 with Dr. Octavius, who was played by Alfred Molina. The amazing spider man should be nominated for a academy award for best motion picture of this year, because of the action and the drama. Expand
  20. Jul 12, 2012
    The movie is pretty good. The storyline is great and not much of the basics change from the original film. I like the fact that Merry Jane is not in the movie and Andrew Garfield is relly good. There are both action and funny scenes and there is the romance element as well.. And most important there is a scene after the credits so stay and watch ;)
  21. Jul 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I just saw this film for the 32nd time now... It is by far my all-time favourite super-hero flick! I enjoyed every single second! This I believe is the reboot Spider-Man needed... Andrew Garfield i think (in my opinion) best portrayed Peter Parker! the script was amazingly well-written by James Vanderbilt (who also wrote Zodiac and 2003 film Darkness Falls). I absolutely love the director Marc Webb's fresh modern take on the super-hero's origins, from when Peter gets bit by the radio-active spider, and the building of his webbing device! Also want to give huge props to the Cinematographer, John Schwartzman (who recently is working on Dracula Untold, Jurassic World and did the 1996 film The Rock). Expand
  22. May 30, 2014
    Fantastic Movie for the Summer! The Amazing Spider-Man is packed with action and romance and is lead by an amazing performance from Andrew Garfield who makes this film entertaining most of all.
  23. May 3, 2016
    I love this film . In this film good scenes and awesome action moments and about this film there is game The Amazing Spider-Man . The Amazing Spider-Man better than Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 . I love it . I doesnt watched The Amazing Spider-Man 2 , but I think The Amazing Spider-Man better than The Amazing Spider-Man 2
  24. SFN
    Jul 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. best spider-man movie ever, period, Andrew plays a absolute perfect spider-man/ Peter Parker, the beautiful Emma stone is perfect for Gwen Stacy, people complain about how the movie takes awhile to get started and it does but only because their telling every detail that the others didn't mostly about Peter's parents, the acting is really good and the i was also impressed with the CG also, me being a spider-man fan and knowing everything there is to know about him this is a perfect film, all these people who say its no good are not real fans, this is a movie for actual spider-man fans not for everyone that goes and see's it, if your a fan you can't go wrong with this movie Expand
  25. Jul 31, 2012
    Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, and everyone else in the cast is fantastic. The special effects are some of the best ever. What is really amazing though is that the story of Peter Parker becoming Spider-Man is just as fresh and emotional as the first time it was told 50 years ago. (and the last time we saw it less than 10 years ago.)
  26. Jan 26, 2015
    [Portuguese] O humor do novo Homem-Aranha é simplesmente incrível e a Gwen Stacy é completamente amável, personagens carismáticos como estes junto a um inimigo que faz jus a toda história dos quadrinhos deixaram esse filme quase perfeito.
  27. Jul 3, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie truly is amazing. It really is one of the best superhero movies I have ever seen. I disagree with what the critics are saying by giving it a measly 67 out of 100. I like that this movie stays more true to the original comics that it is based on. Spider-Man is now more of a wise-cracker, making jokes in a dangerous situation (unlike the Spider-Man of a certain other film trilogy I know). I also like that the story is darker, and less romantic (unlike a...oh scratch it you know the drill). The main villain is now not a true villain, but a guy who wants something back. This is what makes it so much more original than a lot of the other superhero movies, whose villains are filled with anarchy. The CGI is excellent. The Lizard (main villain) might be up to the level of how Davy Jones and Gollum looked in their respective films. There is only one real problem that I have with this film. Towards the end where Lizard is about to take over the city by turning everyone into reptiles, he intoxicates some S.W.A.T. team people by turning them into lizards like himself. However, these people do not help the lizard at all in the rest of the film. This leaves a plot hole in which you don't know what they did from there. You only see them changing back into their human form at the very end. This plot hole does not change my opinion on this movie however. To me it is still an excellent film, and I cannot wait for the sequel! Expand
  28. Jul 20, 2012
    I really enjoyed this movie. But I'm a little confused about where it fits in with the rest of the Spider-Man movies. Seems like a lot of overlap with the Spider-Man (2002).
  29. Aug 21, 2012
    I expected less from this movie, but it was well made and deep and I'm willing to rewatch it. The Amazing Spider-Man is very entertaining and there isn't anything really bad about it
  30. Sep 17, 2012
    Best Spider-man movie so far! The acting,special effects,Villain were all great and I can't wait to see the Green Goblin in the next movie. This will probably go down as one of the greatest movie franchises if they keep up the standard. 10/10
  31. Jul 5, 2012
    All I have to say is this is by far the best Marvel movie I have seen since Iron Man. I cant believe how well written this movie is. I wasn't bored, I cared about the characters and what they were going through. Every actor played there parts perfectly. It wasn't like avengers which was a 2 hour and 30 minute toy commercial and completely forgot about what the story was about andAll I have to say is this is by far the best Marvel movie I have seen since Iron Man. I cant believe how well written this movie is. I wasn't bored, I cared about the characters and what they were going through. Every actor played there parts perfectly. It wasn't like avengers which was a 2 hour and 30 minute toy commercial and completely forgot about what the story was about and character growth. I can also say like others have already that its also better than the first 3 spiderman movies combined. Comic book movie directors, writers and producers should see this movie as the perfect example on how to do a well balanced Superhero movie. Expand
  32. Jul 22, 2012
    An entertaining film. It's been done before, but Marc Webb makes a lot of effort to change what we see in the story ie: Mechanical web slinger in stead of organic, Gwen Stacy instead of Mary Jane. The Lizard was a good villain, if rendered in terrible CGI. Yet, the film is a good reboot, and while not up there with the Raimi films, it was very good.
  33. Jul 7, 2012
    For those that are fans of the comic book, this movie will not disappoint. With the original Sam Raimi movies, the overall direction of the series was an incoherent piecemeal of villains. By the conclusion of Marc Webb's Amazing Spiderman (the new movie), it is clear who the villain will be and what events will transpire in the upcoming movie sequel. Although both directors have taken someFor those that are fans of the comic book, this movie will not disappoint. With the original Sam Raimi movies, the overall direction of the series was an incoherent piecemeal of villains. By the conclusion of Marc Webb's Amazing Spiderman (the new movie), it is clear who the villain will be and what events will transpire in the upcoming movie sequel. Although both directors have taken some liberties in the origin story for the sake of a better movie, Marc Webb's version appears to be more loyal to the overall fantasy portrayed in the comics. Expand
  34. Jul 9, 2012
    Andrew Garfield is an emerging young actor that will be in the spotlight for years to come. He did great in this movie, and will do great in the following two as a part of this trilogy. In addition, we are privileged to see great performances by the other actors in this film. I personally enjoyed seeing Martin Sheen in this film, despite only being present for a portion of it. Emma StoneAndrew Garfield is an emerging young actor that will be in the spotlight for years to come. He did great in this movie, and will do great in the following two as a part of this trilogy. In addition, we are privileged to see great performances by the other actors in this film. I personally enjoyed seeing Martin Sheen in this film, despite only being present for a portion of it. Emma Stone is bold and straightforward in her technique of this movie. She is a great young woman that will go far as well. Compared to the, "Spider-Man," trilogy with Tobey Maguire a decade ago, this is so much better and will be rewarded for that distinction. As I said before, the acting, along with the script, cinematography, story line, and special effects are absolutely phenomenal. Even the little things that make a film good are noticeable, such as the colors, lighting, and set dimensions.

"With great power comes great responsibility," as it is often said, and this new trilogy will be making the mold for how Spider-Man is seen. Hopefully the following films match this and are better. I believe this will end up happening.
  35. Jul 10, 2012
    The Amazing Spiderman is great reboot of the Spider-Man movie franchise originally directed by Sam Rami. Mark Webb, director of (500) Days of Summer, brings a fresh and exciting take on Spidey's origin story. Peter Parker, a geeky highschooler (played by the Social Network's Andrew Garfield) who is infatuated with the kind, rebellious Gwen Stacy (Easy A and Zombieland vet Emma Stone).The Amazing Spiderman is great reboot of the Spider-Man movie franchise originally directed by Sam Rami. Mark Webb, director of (500) Days of Summer, brings a fresh and exciting take on Spidey's origin story. Peter Parker, a geeky highschooler (played by the Social Network's Andrew Garfield) who is infatuated with the kind, rebellious Gwen Stacy (Easy A and Zombieland vet Emma Stone). Along the way, he fights Killer Croc, a monster he inadvertently creates, and becomes the masked hero we all love. The acting is great, Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone have amazing chemistry, and a talented cast including Martin Sheen and Dennis Leary help The Amazing Spider Man really stand out. Mark Webb is incredibly talented as the director, who once again really captures the emotions of these characters and makes the audience care for them. The Amazing Spider-Man may have small pacing issues, but it is a great superhero flick nonetheless, and I hope no one will hate me for saying it, makes for a more enjoyable experience than The Avengers. Expand
  36. Jul 17, 2012
    To be honest I went to this film not expecting much and I came out in eager anticipation for the next. It was much better than the first of the old series with this new film going back to the comics to tell the truth about Spiderman
  37. Jun 21, 2013
    Marvel never ceases to amaze me with their movies well most of them, but this particular film was well... AMAZING! First of all Andrew Garfield did a really good job playing the Spider-man character, but his Peter Parker performance wasn't as great as Toby Maguire's portrayal. Stone and Garfield don't really have chemistry in acting so that made this film awkward at times. The film alsoMarvel never ceases to amaze me with their movies well most of them, but this particular film was well... AMAZING! First of all Andrew Garfield did a really good job playing the Spider-man character, but his Peter Parker performance wasn't as great as Toby Maguire's portrayal. Stone and Garfield don't really have chemistry in acting so that made this film awkward at times. The film also told a really good story and separated itself from the first Spider-man in 2002. Although some of the plot points are similar, the villain is different and this movie actually shows Peter's parents rather than not show them at all. Also, when this movie came out on DVD it shows many of the deleted scenes that would have been great character development for Doctor Curtis Connors (The Lizard) who despite didn't have the greatest development did a really good job portraying The Lizard. Overall this movie was a really good one and I highly recommend it.
    Overall: 8.5/10
  38. Jul 5, 2012
    This fresh reboot takes the original film to all new levels with a slightly more fleshed out stores and three-dimensional characters (figuratively and literally). The lizard may not make quite as good of a villain as the Green Goblin, but Garfield's Spiderman dominates. Tobey Macguire who? Emma Stone provides a relatable love interest and truly allows you to feel for her character. TheThis fresh reboot takes the original film to all new levels with a slightly more fleshed out stores and three-dimensional characters (figuratively and literally). The lizard may not make quite as good of a villain as the Green Goblin, but Garfield's Spiderman dominates. Tobey Macguire who? Emma Stone provides a relatable love interest and truly allows you to feel for her character. The cinematography and visual effects are top notch and help to provide a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Expand
  39. Jul 25, 2012
    The best Spiderman film to date, with a dream cast (Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone and Martin Sheen in particular) a compelling, to-the-point origin story, a fun soundtrack and some awesome fight scenes. While it does follow the same cues as Raimi's original Spiderman movie, that's simply because it's Spiderman's origin, it draws from the same comic book that Raimi's film drew from, soThe best Spiderman film to date, with a dream cast (Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone and Martin Sheen in particular) a compelling, to-the-point origin story, a fun soundtrack and some awesome fight scenes. While it does follow the same cues as Raimi's original Spiderman movie, that's simply because it's Spiderman's origin, it draws from the same comic book that Raimi's film drew from, so similarities are bound to occur. But overall, I believe this film far outdoes Raimi's Spiderman, the characters in this Spiderman are just so...I guess...loveable :/ And let's face it, the lack of Tobey Maguire makes would make any series reboot a winner, there's something about that guy's acting that stirs about the urge in me to lamp him one, quite an issue when I only ever see him on expensive, fragile screens.
    It does annoy me that they went with the age old, "Cop fights superhero because he doesn't want him taking the law into his own hands" bullsh!t we've seen a million times before, but I do like the way they tie that off towards the end.
  40. Jul 3, 2012
    Fantastic movie! It kept my attention from beginning to end, which is hard to do for a movie that is over 2 hours long! The story was the best ever for Spider-Man, and everything was easy to understand and follow. Intense action sequences and very little to no swearing. Be sure to stay through half of the credits, there is a surprise at the end for a plot for a sequel!
  41. Dec 29, 2012
    Well, I really loved it. I wasn't keen on these Marvel heroes like Spider-man or Hulk, but I liked this movie, and it attracted me. I just wanted to keep on watching. I also like when things are realistic.
  42. Jul 5, 2012
    As far as genesis movies go, this one is fantastic. Furthermore, it completely trumps Tobey Maguire's Spider-Man. I'll admit I was skeptical of Andrew Garfield's ability to carry an iconic role like this one, but he did so beautifully. He was the right amount of dorky, funny, and serious, while giving a new feel to the Peter Parker character. I also loved the fact that Emma Stone was inAs far as genesis movies go, this one is fantastic. Furthermore, it completely trumps Tobey Maguire's Spider-Man. I'll admit I was skeptical of Andrew Garfield's ability to carry an iconic role like this one, but he did so beautifully. He was the right amount of dorky, funny, and serious, while giving a new feel to the Peter Parker character. I also loved the fact that Emma Stone was in this movie, and as Gwen Stacy at that. She always provides solid acting and natural charm.

The writers and directors did a good job of providing a lot of true-to-the-story components in the film. It is tough to do a revamp of a film within a decade and have the guts to actually retell the story from scratch, but this movie did just that. Overall, there was an appropriate balance of plot, romance, and action, as well as a seamless flow from beginning to end. Lastly, I was thoroughly entertained with Spider-Man's new fighting style. His movements were much sharper and present than in the past, but graceful and fluid when they needed to be. As a serious movie-goer and longtime comic book fanatic, this movie got it right.
  43. Jul 5, 2012
    For those of us that grew up with the comics and eventually the cartoon series, you can imagine how disappointed we were when we saw all the things spiderman screwed up, the Green Goblin being enhanced like he was a main bad guy and venom getting a solid kill count of 1 before spiderman defeats him. On top of all that Sam Raimi mixed some of his own personal struggles as a youth with TobiFor those of us that grew up with the comics and eventually the cartoon series, you can imagine how disappointed we were when we saw all the things spiderman screwed up, the Green Goblin being enhanced like he was a main bad guy and venom getting a solid kill count of 1 before spiderman defeats him. On top of all that Sam Raimi mixed some of his own personal struggles as a youth with Tobi Mcguire. It was as if he was doing to spiderman what George Lucas was doing to Darth Vader.
    Webb comes along and completely brings truth to the series, captures the Lizard perfectly and defines a spiderman who is bright like his father and shows that he's actually quite vulnerable a hero. He doesn't shoot webbing out of his hands all weird. He actually builds the devices to launch webbing that was developed by his fathers corporation (why spiderman is often considered batmanesque, he's actually quite smart and designs things). I still tip my hat to Raimi, as he brought the series to the silverscreen for the first time & such a movie wouldn't have been done so well if it wasn't for him. Hopefully like Batman we'll get to see the series expand just don't bring in the green goblin, the hobgoblin is much more powerful and actually remains the same person throughout the series.
  44. Jul 3, 2012
    The Amazing Spider-Man is, as I said in the title, an excellent restart to the story. The acting, visuals, and story were all well-done and VERY enjoyable to watch. Speaking of the acting, Stone and Garfield were both a great joy to watch on film, mostly because they have this great screen chemistry and I can't wait to see them at it again in the next one (If there is one). This movie isThe Amazing Spider-Man is, as I said in the title, an excellent restart to the story. The acting, visuals, and story were all well-done and VERY enjoyable to watch. Speaking of the acting, Stone and Garfield were both a great joy to watch on film, mostly because they have this great screen chemistry and I can't wait to see them at it again in the next one (If there is one). This movie is very enjoyable and fun to watch, and I recommend any one of any age to go see this! I saw it in IMAX 3D, and not that I think it is the best way to see it or anything, but I thought it looked amazing on the IMAX screen so I recommend checking that out if you have the means to as well. Expand
  45. Jul 4, 2012
    Awesome movie! This was a great addition to the grand collection of Marvel movies. Great action, great background on Parkers story and even a great Stan Lee scene!
  46. Jul 5, 2012
    I didn't have high expectations for this moving coming in considering the other Spider-Man series starring Tobey Maguire finished not all too long ago. However, this movie exceeded my expectations. The movie had good emotional depth to it, and Andrew Garfield's performance was both superb and awkward (in a good way - Peter Parker is quite nerdy). I was surprised that he was capable of thisI didn't have high expectations for this moving coming in considering the other Spider-Man series starring Tobey Maguire finished not all too long ago. However, this movie exceeded my expectations. The movie had good emotional depth to it, and Andrew Garfield's performance was both superb and awkward (in a good way - Peter Parker is quite nerdy). I was surprised that he was capable of this sort of role, because he doesn't look like a Peter Parker type, but it worked quite well and added a good amount of humor to the movie. I would have rated this movie higher had it been the original Spider-Man rather than a reboot (some things felt repeated from Spider-Man 1). Expand
  47. Aug 29, 2012
    Firs of all, it's a good Spiderman movie. Don't compare it to the other ones, because it's stupid - this is amazing Spiderman. Andrew Garfield played a pretty good role, so did Emma Stone - I was really surprised. It had a good plot. And Spiderman was how he should be, always making fun of his enemies and everything. It was great movie for me. Although I liked the first Spiderman movieFirs of all, it's a good Spiderman movie. Don't compare it to the other ones, because it's stupid - this is amazing Spiderman. Andrew Garfield played a pretty good role, so did Emma Stone - I was really surprised. It had a good plot. And Spiderman was how he should be, always making fun of his enemies and everything. It was great movie for me. Although I liked the first Spiderman movie better. But this is a new movie, and it's a new Spiderman and it's a good one. Expand
  48. Dec 14, 2013
    Amazing Spider-Man is truly amazing movie superhero, if i can compare with sam raimi movie, the different look in costume, story, character, by the way i enjoy watch this movies...so entertaining...can't wait the sequel...good job Marc Webb
  49. Aug 5, 2012
    ,,The Amazing Spider-Man'' is a new, fresh look over the friendly neighbourhood. Garfield fills the shoes of Spidey very good, the romance is well made, but maybe a little too teen drama, the script is almost amazing and the visuals and soundtrack are just perfect to integrate the viewer in the universe of Spidey.
  50. b3_
    Jul 14, 2012
    7/10 an average to decent movie experience. Those going into the movie roughly know what to expect from a superhero themed film. A reasonable mix of action, comedy and thrills which works well. The movie is definitely suited to a teen audience as they can relate to the main character to an extent and enjoy the action scenes in particular. The story is simple to follow, but stays7/10 an average to decent movie experience. Those going into the movie roughly know what to expect from a superhero themed film. A reasonable mix of action, comedy and thrills which works well. The movie is definitely suited to a teen audience as they can relate to the main character to an extent and enjoy the action scenes in particular. The story is simple to follow, but stays entertaining due to the aura of mystery and suspense. For me the bad thing about this movie is that it is predictable and uses a very familiar formula that some of us know too well. However the target audience will not really be affected by this. Expand
  51. Jul 17, 2012
    Spiderman 4 has a strong story eventough it almost the same like the first sequel of Spiderman... Andrew Garfield was so cool! The enemy of Spiderman is strong and have great impact to Spiderman real life... I hope next sequel of Spiderman can be like this and maintain to its track...
  52. Aug 1, 2012
    I watched this recently, and I think 80% of the time the movie was catching your eye, so you don't really ever get bored, also funny sometimes. (Sometimes, not a lot)
  53. Jun 17, 2013
    This may not be the best Spider-Man film, but its an excellent reboot. The cast is definetely one of the best. The movie kills it with action, emotion and origin. It's a retelling of Spider-Man but in a way that has secrets.
    I give TASM a 9/10
  54. Jul 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really enjoyed myself with this one. The story is the old Spider-man story we all know, but it's been changed so that this movie can shine on its own, and it does. It may be predictable, but it works and you really want to see what happens next, even though you already know what does. The movie also does a good job at building up the sequel, by keeping it subtle. There are a few things that haven't been resolved yet, one I'll get into right now. The romance between Peter and Gwen doesn't wait. After you get to know Peter, you get to know Gwen through her interactions with Peter. It's predictable and cliched as well, but it just works and sometimes you really feel for them, especially towards the end. You also get to know Dr. Curt Connors (Lizard) and how he wants to change the world to make the dominant species perfect. He seems sane at first, but then he goes insane through an addiction that I won't get into. The action is phenomenal; it gets the job done with flare. There's never a point where the acting is questionable. There's only a few negatives to this film. The first is with Peter's personality. He really has no defined trait except for his relationship with Gwen and that he used to be a Punk until his uncle died and he became Spider-man. I feel that the movie missed an opportunity where they could have used his photography to transmit his emotions. The other negative is the patriotic moment. In this, all the construction workers line up heavy-duty cranes so that Spider-man has an easier time getting to the final battle after a motivating speech by the boss and a cut to the American Flag. It's not needed, not that its a bad scene and it does make you feel proud. The one in the other Spider-man movie was appropriate because it was just after 9/11 and we all needed that moment for hope. It's not need in this film and it's the one cliche that drags the film down a little. Overall, I enjoyed myself with this movie and I hope you will too. Expand
  55. RPD
    Jul 7, 2012
    Andrew Garfield delivers. He's the Peter Parker we should have had in the first place. Better than Spider-Man 1, 2, and 3 combined. Went to see this with my son and a friend of ours and we left talking about how awesome it was. "Better than The Avengers?", I asked. They said yes. Me, I'm not sure if I'd go that far...
  56. Apr 8, 2013
    The Amazing Spider-Man is the Spider-Man film that we were all waiting to see. It has a fantastic cast that all give great performances, a great score to accompany it, and great action sequences that can only be put as simply: amazing.
  57. Feb 5, 2013
    A well acted action packed superhero film that makes this well needed a reboot a success. This new storyline proves that we will see Peter Parker's teenage years and will show a bigger development in the story than a huge jump from high school-er to photographer.
  58. Feb 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I first heard the Spider-Man film series was gonna be rebooted, I was pretty pissed. But then I saw the a trailer, and I thought "Hmm this could be pretty good". So one day I was on a plane, decided to watch a movie, and there it was the Amazing Spider-Man. And what do I have to say? It's just as good as the first movie. I find Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man more humorous then Tobey Maguire's, however I felt Tobey's fit the high school dork role, with Andrew seeming more like of the everyman. So I believe while Tobey was a better Peter Parker, Andrew is a better Spider-Man. Although I do have issues with the whole promising to stay away from the dying man's daughter only to say "Promises you can't keep are the best kind"....wtf? I was a little peeved she didn't slap him in the face. I have mixed feelings about switching back to the web shooters from the comics. As while they may be iconic and a sign of the character's intellect. I've always felt Spider-Man should naturally posses the ability, but that's just nitpicking. As for the love interest, I personally have a preference for Mary-Jane over Gwen, having grown up on the 90's animated series where Gwen didn't appear. However I happen to be a fan of Emma Stone (Superbad, Zombieland, Easy A) and whoa was she great in this movie. She's got me hoping that they do not follow the death of Gwen Stacy from the comics. Rhys Ifans also does a great job of making Curt Conners sympathetic, and the Lizard villainous. Although I think the Lizard would've looked better with a snout like in the comics. All in all, solid acting, a decent story, and amazing effects. It's really a shame that the film was over-shadowed by The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises......Okay I'm just kidding those films were both better. But The Amazing Spider-Man is defiantly worth a watch. Expand
  59. Apr 27, 2014
    This movie surprised me. After the fiasco that is Spider-Man 3 I just about lost hope for the Spidey Franchise as a whole. So once i heard they were rebooting the franchise just 5 years after Spider Man 3 you could see my concern. But I am very happy to report that this film was great. Andrew does a great job as Peter and the chemistry between him and Emma just bring this movie to life.This movie surprised me. After the fiasco that is Spider-Man 3 I just about lost hope for the Spidey Franchise as a whole. So once i heard they were rebooting the franchise just 5 years after Spider Man 3 you could see my concern. But I am very happy to report that this film was great. Andrew does a great job as Peter and the chemistry between him and Emma just bring this movie to life. Rhys Ifan's as Dr. Curt Connors a.k.a. The Lizard was the one weak spot in the movie. I didn't feel any emotion or life in this CGI villain. But other then that this is a good film. Two thumbs up. Expand
  60. Aug 1, 2012
    I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Compared to the "other" first movie, I'd say I enjoyed them both equally, yet in different areas and aspects. They both had elements apart from each other that I recognized growing up and this one successfully updating the story for the times. My version of Spider-Man was the intelligent, science wiz that was not necessarily popular, yet wasn't an outcastI thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Compared to the "other" first movie, I'd say I enjoyed them both equally, yet in different areas and aspects. They both had elements apart from each other that I recognized growing up and this one successfully updating the story for the times. My version of Spider-Man was the intelligent, science wiz that was not necessarily popular, yet wasn't an outcast either portrayed in this version. Compared to the other movie, I liked how they had Peter develop his own mechanism for dispensing the webbing which I was fond of as a kid, his more talkative nature while he's in his Spider-Man persona which in turn, funny as it sounds, makes him feel more human while in the suit. I loved the chemistry between Peter and Gwen and in my opinion, accurately projects that sorta young love, filled with awkward moments and uncomfortable eye contact that anyone can relate to when starting a new relationship with someone. The antagonist was no slouch, and everyone's performance were well done from top to bottom. Expand
  61. Jul 8, 2012
    The new Spider-man played by Andrew Garlfield is a-lot more down to earth and cool as a actor, overall boosting the films rating because he's a more relate-able character. This makes the film a-lot better to view because the actor isn't forced to cry all the time. A.k.a He makes the Tobey Maguire Spider-man look like a complete **** The villain is most likely the best in the series becauseThe new Spider-man played by Andrew Garlfield is a-lot more down to earth and cool as a actor, overall boosting the films rating because he's a more relate-able character. This makes the film a-lot better to view because the actor isn't forced to cry all the time. A.k.a He makes the Tobey Maguire Spider-man look like a complete **** The villain is most likely the best in the series because he is the most **** up one and this also makes the fights more tense. It is a damn good film, so yeah, go see it. Expand
  62. Jul 22, 2012
    Solid reimagining of the Spiderman origin story, which is especially relevant for the vast majority too young to remember the 2002 version. Key substitution in the blonde haired Gwen Stacy character played by redhead Emma Stone in lieu of the traditional redhead love interest Mary Jane Watson, last played by blonde Kirstin Dunst. Pretty epic in a lot of ways, beyond getting bogged down inSolid reimagining of the Spiderman origin story, which is especially relevant for the vast majority too young to remember the 2002 version. Key substitution in the blonde haired Gwen Stacy character played by redhead Emma Stone in lieu of the traditional redhead love interest Mary Jane Watson, last played by blonde Kirstin Dunst. Pretty epic in a lot of ways, beyond getting bogged down in the reengineering of the origin, though it stretches my personal limits in suspending my disbelief as, while I'm okay with the radioactive spider, super powers, giant mutant lizards, fantasy science an all, Peter Parker does all his Internet searches on 'Bing', which is ridiculous, nobody uses Bing. Expand
  63. Aug 2, 2012
    Best Spider-Man yet. The younger casting of Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone paid off big time! They were much more believable in their roles than the Spider-Man franchise has ever given us. Though the villain was not that exciting, this is the first superhero movie that I've ever seen that I honestly want to see again. Usually the genre is a little boring to me, but this movie is top-notch.
  64. Jul 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A huge step forward for Spiderman as an integral character in the Marvel movie universe. Only two things I didn't like were 1.) Parker's nonchalant attitude when receiving new powers. Dare I say good ole droopy-face Tobey had better writing on suddenly receiving crazy, life-changing powers.The new movie simply glazes over this part with a series of "teenager growing up" hijinx. 2. The cranes. I know there had to be some way to make more drama as Spidey swings to the Oscorp tower, but this is really an unfortunate way to include normal everyday people in the mix with Spidey. The beauty of Spiderman in NY is that most of the people he saves never have any other impact on his life. So this random dude, who had his kid rescued, just happens to have the connections at that one moment to get everyone on a crane in (no time)? Sorry, but even a heightened sense of disbelief won't save that scene. Defintely not the best superhero movie of the summer (Avengers...so far) but a solid movie. Expand
  65. Jul 5, 2012
    Gone is the de facto essence of the original Sam Raimi series that captivated crowds with its webby charm. In fact, some may say that the story of Peter Parker's meteoric rise to superhero status has already been beaten to death and the Spider-Man name is better off succumbed to cobwebs; but, lo and behold, something amazing has emerged in its wake since we last caught up with our friendlyGone is the de facto essence of the original Sam Raimi series that captivated crowds with its webby charm. In fact, some may say that the story of Peter Parker's meteoric rise to superhero status has already been beaten to death and the Spider-Man name is better off succumbed to cobwebs; but, lo and behold, something amazing has emerged in its wake since we last caught up with our friendly neighborhood Spider-Man. Yes, arachnophobes rejoice, because there's nothing more to be afraid of. The Amazing Spider-Man may initially come across a sort of tumorous growth next to the already existing Spidey movie franchise, but what it does do, it does web-free. Swipe the whole 'radioactive spider' thing away and proceed to stomp all over it with relent as you may, what you'll discover is a movie that's not been built around the device of a magical creepy crawler that goes and turns the world upside down with an infectuous little bite, but a movie that plays off of this ludricous idea of eight-legged heroic origin beautifully. With that in mind, go see The Amazing Spider-Man. You won't be disappointed. Oh, and let me add that the little romance which goes on between Andrew Garfield (Peter Parker) and Emma Stone (Gwen Stacy) is not annoying, but stirring...not to mention that the director's last name is Webb. Expand
  66. Jul 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Having watched the Spiderman trilogy, my expectations of The Amazing Spiderman were initially low. Reading into some early reviews of the movies, I felt unimpressed. Nevertheless, I decided to enter the theater with an open mind. What I got was unprecedented. I saw a movie that was spectacular, endearing,a film that actually made me care about the characters. Toby Maguire might as well have played a plank of wood sleeping in a field for three hours. Andrew Garfield brought something to the movie, that Raimi could never evoke from Maguire; flavor, a peculiar flair, that stimulates the movie, even when there is no action taking place. His character is rigorously researched, resembling the original Spiderman envisioned by Ditko and Lee. He brings humor to the table( albeit a bit cheesy). He is smart, dependable, and caring. He personifies the high-school geek, but brings to charm it. He encourages us to stand up to the bully. He is bold in the face of danger. He gets the girl. He is smart, both practically and theoretically.

Then we see the dark dimension to the film. The dissonance in the family that leads to the poignant death of his Uncle. A scene that allows us to sympathize with the rebellious geek. We are offered a character with many dimensions, a flawed character, unlike the stereotypical heroes we are normally offered. The on screen relationship between Garfield and Stone is a pleasure to watch. The chemistry is bubbling between the pair. Including some memorable quotes and moving scenes. Trust, a quality long lost on our generation is exemplified in Stone's and Garfield's characters, when he reveals his true identity to her. The tension is augmented by the fact that Stone's father, Capitan Stacy, is actively hunting Spiderman. We see the overbearing father holds the same level of disapproval for Peter Parker as he does his altar-ego. The Down to earth nature of the film is best displayed through the blue collar, Uncle Ben, played by the veteran actor Martin Sheen. Sheen brings the intrinsic qualities of family love and togetherness to the movie. He is a man who has worked all his life. He can be tough on Peter but means well. He loves his wife, and is enraged when Peter fails to pick her up from a dangerous neighborhood. When Peter becomes disenchanted, he storms out. Uncle Ben follows, ending up in a dangerous area.Ironically, the danger Ben warns Peter about is the very thing that kills him. In the conclusion, we see the insightful text message sent to Peter, which urged him to come home that night. In a way Peter is faced with a unresolved guilt. He seeks vengeance, but revenge cannot satiate the hole his uncle's death leaves. I particularly loved the exploration of Peter's past. It gives us a greater character profile and helps us understand how he came to live with his aunt and uncle. The Lizard was a good villain no doubt, but I felt maybe his character should have had a bit more screen time. Overall, the atmosphere and the plot were good. Rounded off by a great cast. It has all the makings of a great movie. Bow down Mr Raimi 10/10
  67. Jul 4, 2012
    I thought the movie was...amazing (excuse the pun) unlike its predecessors it stayed true to the original storyline. Andrew Garfield did a good job and portrayed Peter Parker well enough. In 3D the experience was fantastic and i would certainly recommend it. The only negative i can say is that other characters seem to lack depth (perhaps there wasn't enough time). The best thing about thisI thought the movie was...amazing (excuse the pun) unlike its predecessors it stayed true to the original storyline. Andrew Garfield did a good job and portrayed Peter Parker well enough. In 3D the experience was fantastic and i would certainly recommend it. The only negative i can say is that other characters seem to lack depth (perhaps there wasn't enough time). The best thing about this movie is the potential, there are several enemies that did not feature (Green Goblin, Venom) and there's enough in this series for at least 2 more films providing they're equally (or better) than the first film.
    As always it's a Marvel film DO NOT LEAVE IMMEDIATELY AT THE END.
  68. Jul 7, 2012
    When I first heard that they were rebooting Spiderman with stars Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone, and that it would be directed by Marc Webb, I was pretty excited. Once I stepped into the theatre, I was ringing with anticipation. And when the movie ended, I was speechless. Yes, this may sound dramatic, but to me, "The Amazing Spider-Man" exceeded my expectations in every single way andWhen I first heard that they were rebooting Spiderman with stars Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone, and that it would be directed by Marc Webb, I was pretty excited. Once I stepped into the theatre, I was ringing with anticipation. And when the movie ended, I was speechless. Yes, this may sound dramatic, but to me, "The Amazing Spider-Man" exceeded my expectations in every single way and completely blew me away. It easily and instantly became one of my favorite movies, and I can't wait to see it again. Here's why: first, I loved the mysterious back story involving peter and his father, which drew you in from the minute the movie began and left you wondering as the movie ended. I was also a huge fan of the Lizard, a slithering, misunderstood villain whose action-packed battles with Spidey were thrilling to watch. Thirdly, and most importantly, the two main characters (Garfield and Stone) stole the show, in my opinion. Not only were their acting and character portrayals superb, but the chemistry between the two actors was so undeniably genuine that I felt as though I was experiencing every emotion along with them. Director Marc Webb, who made another favorite film of mine, (500) Days of Summer, proves that although he may not have the most extensive background in film making, he most definitely has the talent to make heartfelt, interesting and fun films, to say the least. I am absolutely obsessed with "The Amazing Spider-Man" and eagerly anticipate its sequels. Expand
  69. Jul 9, 2012
    İf u ask me why 7 but not 10 i can state that main problem is Connors. He is good, i mean lizard is cool. but it is like a weaker copy of hulk. Even when it acts and fights. oh the other hand both avengers and reboot spider man's budget is 220 million. but look at the difference, Avengers action scene's are more incredible and lasts at least 30 minutes more than spider man. and castİf u ask me why 7 but not 10 i can state that main problem is Connors. He is good, i mean lizard is cool. but it is like a weaker copy of hulk. Even when it acts and fights. oh the other hand both avengers and reboot spider man's budget is 220 million. but look at the difference, Avengers action scene's are more incredible and lasts at least 30 minutes more than spider man. and cast is perfect, then for what producers spent 220 million. and where is the j,j? spider-man without his raging boss doesnt seem warm, as a movie it is good and watchable, some lacks of screenplay wounded and hardly walking spider at the end fight even doesnt feel his injuries. my points are 7-marc webb 9-andrew garfield 9 emma stone 6-screenplay 8-visual effects 10- stan lee's cameo:) Expand
  70. Jul 8, 2012
    Ok... THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: Yes my first impresion was... hey!? what happened with Sam Raimi(director of the first 3 movies) and with Tobie McGuire!!! But today i saw this movie... and it was pretty COOL! Yes Andrew is a good spider-man and Emma is a good Gwen. The story is good and interesting. BUT... Where are Harry and MJ?? Where the hell is J.J. Jameson??? ANd the Daily Bugle??? SomeOk... THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: Yes my first impresion was... hey!? what happened with Sam Raimi(director of the first 3 movies) and with Tobie McGuire!!! But today i saw this movie... and it was pretty COOL! Yes Andrew is a good spider-man and Emma is a good Gwen. The story is good and interesting. BUT... Where are Harry and MJ?? Where the hell is J.J. Jameson??? ANd the Daily Bugle??? Some of those ditails make the movie... a little bit confusing for thos who saw the oder 3 movies and the comics.... Yes.. if you´re a Spidy's fan (like me) you don't want to miss this movie.. but there are some things that are very important that weren't in this movie... and is a bit dissapointing Expand
  71. Jul 17, 2012
    My reasoning for giving this movie a 10 is not because I thought THIS movie was great(although I enjoyed this one more then the others) I thought that this spiderman series could be great, this is a different spin on the spiderman character that I think is good. His inability to shoot webs out of his wrists which many of my friend,s and I'm sure other people, disliked actually gave a senseMy reasoning for giving this movie a 10 is not because I thought THIS movie was great(although I enjoyed this one more then the others) I thought that this spiderman series could be great, this is a different spin on the spiderman character that I think is good. His inability to shoot webs out of his wrists which many of my friend,s and I'm sure other people, disliked actually gave a sense of realism to me, but to some I guess that they don't care if its realistic or not, all they want isa superhero. But all in all this movie kept my attention and maybe me interested in superhero movies again(p.s. I thought Andrew Garfield did a much better job of being spiderman than toby macguire did) Expand
  72. Jul 3, 2012
    This Movie By far was better than the entire Raimi trilogy. The story was compelling and the action scenes were great. Not to mention Spider-Man cracking jokes is awesome (Just like he should be) As for the 3D effects they were quite good especially The first-person shots. That's when the 3D shined, But the 3D is great throughout the entire film. I also like the relationship with Gwen andThis Movie By far was better than the entire Raimi trilogy. The story was compelling and the action scenes were great. Not to mention Spider-Man cracking jokes is awesome (Just like he should be) As for the 3D effects they were quite good especially The first-person shots. That's when the 3D shined, But the 3D is great throughout the entire film. I also like the relationship with Gwen and Peter. Also the fact that Spider-man is a Vigilante to The police which was actually very very compelling. Also the ending was top notch!. You should stay after the credits when the film is over ;) Expand
  73. Jul 6, 2012
    Great movie! 9/10. I was also a Spider Man Tobey Maguire fan, but then I really got disappointed in Spider Man 3 because I was expecting a DARKER side of VENOM. Well, this reboot is way too promising, especially when you think "what if Venom/Carnage/Sandman/Jackal/Rhino/Electro/Vulture (name it all with your favorite villains) appears in a SOLO (I didn't like those ANNOYING TAG TEAM FESTSGreat movie! 9/10. I was also a Spider Man Tobey Maguire fan, but then I really got disappointed in Spider Man 3 because I was expecting a DARKER side of VENOM. Well, this reboot is way too promising, especially when you think "what if Venom/Carnage/Sandman/Jackal/Rhino/Electro/Vulture (name it all with your favorite villains) appears in a SOLO (I didn't like those ANNOYING TAG TEAM FESTS in SPIDER MAN 3) story sequel?, then you'd definitely be excited in awe. This is DARKER, no more exaggerated childish like Spider sense slo-mo's, more realistic, and I believe this could appeal comic fans. I wrote this review, also to show the producers that I want a VENOM/CARNAGE sequel, saving it for the last movie in the franchise (SAVING THE BEST FOR LAST). And if anyone agrees, please help me raise this to the producers!..................AMAZING MOVIE! Expand
  74. Jul 20, 2012
    This movie has exceeded all expectations i had for the movie. Having not read the comics as a kid and with the earlier trilogy being the only real connection i had to spider-man i am not comparing it so much to the comics and the previous trilogy. While this movie is more grounded and connected to the comics, the closer connection to the comics is not what makes this movie great forThis movie has exceeded all expectations i had for the movie. Having not read the comics as a kid and with the earlier trilogy being the only real connection i had to spider-man i am not comparing it so much to the comics and the previous trilogy. While this movie is more grounded and connected to the comics, the closer connection to the comics is not what makes this movie great for me--the fact that the movie is great is what makes this movie great for me. The acting is superb, as is the writing, and i was able to relate to the characters and feel that they were actual people. The plot kept moving and revisited the earlier events in Peter Parker's story in a way that was fresh enough to hold my attention, and keep me from getting bored. The action is fast, suspenseful, and sure to please. Over all this movie is fantastic! You really are missing out if you do not take the time to witness such a great film! Expand
  75. Jul 24, 2012
    Marc Webb tackles Spiderman in The Amazing Spiderman. A bit presumptuous if you ask me to put the adjective Amazing in the title itself especially when you are basically one film old and taking over from Sam Raimi and have relative new comer Andrew Garfield donning the spandex unitard that Tobey Maguire wore while swinging across New York City. Does Webb rise to the challenge or does heMarc Webb tackles Spiderman in The Amazing Spiderman. A bit presumptuous if you ask me to put the adjective Amazing in the title itself especially when you are basically one film old and taking over from Sam Raimi and have relative new comer Andrew Garfield donning the spandex unitard that Tobey Maguire wore while swinging across New York City. Does Webb rise to the challenge or does he fail. Does Andrew Garfield succeed where Tobey failed (in impressing me as spidey). Does Emma Stone as Gwen Stacey make a more compelling love interest for Spiderman than Kirsten Dunst's Mary Jane Watson.
    Speaking of Marc Webb, I loved his 500 Days of Summer and his unusual approach to a "not-a-love-story". The comparisons to Sam Raimi are inevitable and there are even those are calling this as Spiderman 4 - It is not. This is Webb's human approach to the Spiderman lore. There is a lot more back story as Webb tries to establish the beginning and even the story before the beginning. Webb and his screenplay writer Vanderbilt have infused the story with a lot of humor and it helps you relate to peter parker/Spiderman that i found lacking in Raimi and Maguire's Spiderman often I felt Maguire came off as insufferable. And for someone whose first movie was a romantic comedy heavily reliant on music Webb packs a punch with the action sequences that would make Nolan proud.

Andrew Garfield as a nerdy geeky bullied Peter Parker is charming and as Spiderman is a hero you feel like cheering for. Garfield tasted success with The social network and makes his mark as the masked vigilante. He transitions seamlessly between being a lost helpless orphan to being a radioactive-spider-bitten swinging super hero, a bullied nerdy geeky high-schooler to Emma Stone kissing teenager. Andrew Garfield makes geek chic and makes the unitard sexy. Maybe he is too tall to be Spiderman but I'll take him over Tobey
  76. Dec 10, 2012
    This was a worth while reboot. The original Spiderman suffered from a cartoonish undertone, and horrid acting from most of the main cast. The few good things about it were crushed by its played out take on the whole thing.

What does this movie have that the other doesn't? Adult jokes, better explanation of his back story, and better acting. I really hope that they make a sequel.
  77. Jun 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A well chosen cast, great special effects and looks more like the comics. This movie is simply awesome, even if it's not as fresh as Sam Raimi's trilogy. Expand
  78. Oct 29, 2013
    It's a good film so I'll give it a 8/10. The actions are pretty cool too, the way Peter Parker gets his webbing powers are well-explained. The film has a few hilarious scenes so it's a great movie to watch for all age.
  79. Mar 21, 2016
    Amazing movie! I like Andrew Garfield more as Spiderman than Toby. Perfect sarcastic superhero as Spiderman should be. Great action scenes and wonderful Emma make this movie even better.
  80. Jul 3, 2012
    It was truly amazing. I love the first 2 Spider-man movies, so I'm glad the new spider-man franchise started that good. Great performances, effects and action, and the best 3D since Avatar.
  81. Jul 9, 2012
    Quite a refreshing film actually. The new approaching was well developed and thoroughly planned, even considering It wasn't a smart idea to reboot the saga so early. Despite a little tuned off with a few things, it manages to give a totally new focus on the plot and still resemble the Spider-Man idea, very clearly and precisely.
  82. Jul 3, 2012
    Lets just say, i wasnt expecting much from this move from the start. But holy cow was i wrong. I was sure Toby McGuire was the only one that could play Spider Man that good but Andrew Garfield was spectacular as well as the other actors. The action was more intense than the originals. The movie made me laugh, feel sad, had me in awe, just an amazing movie. Easily my favorite of 2012 so farLets just say, i wasnt expecting much from this move from the start. But holy cow was i wrong. I was sure Toby McGuire was the only one that could play Spider Man that good but Andrew Garfield was spectacular as well as the other actors. The action was more intense than the originals. The movie made me laugh, feel sad, had me in awe, just an amazing movie. Easily my favorite of 2012 so far and now we'll see what Batman brings to the table July 20th. Expand
  83. Jul 4, 2012
    This film is Great. The character of Peter is less annoying and more realistic this time around thanks to the great acting of Andrew Garfield. The origin story is better and weighs down the movie less than the original outing. Although i loved the Green Goblin from the original film, the Lizard is by far a better antagonist, this is probably due to the performance given by Rhys Ifans. AllThis film is Great. The character of Peter is less annoying and more realistic this time around thanks to the great acting of Andrew Garfield. The origin story is better and weighs down the movie less than the original outing. Although i loved the Green Goblin from the original film, the Lizard is by far a better antagonist, this is probably due to the performance given by Rhys Ifans. All in all this is a great superhero film, you couldn't ask for much more (apart for some more time before a reboot.) Brilliant Action, Brilliant character development/design and brilliant casting. Expand
  84. Jul 14, 2012
    This movie was(for the most part)a fantastic movie.I did not like the 2 last Spiderman movies and because of that i was really looking forward to this movie.Some people say that the reboot was not necessary but in my opinion it was.Tobey Maguire's acting got extremely boring after the second movie and was just unsavory.Also,Kirsten Dust could not save the previous films and in the 3rd SPMThis movie was(for the most part)a fantastic movie.I did not like the 2 last Spiderman movies and because of that i was really looking forward to this movie.Some people say that the reboot was not necessary but in my opinion it was.Tobey Maguire's acting got extremely boring after the second movie and was just unsavory.Also,Kirsten Dust could not save the previous films and in the 3rd SPM movie the only good thing was Jameson.The villan was closer to the comics as was the rest of the movie which is something i found positive.This movie is trying to reveal a darker side of Spiderman with bigger succession than the SPM 3 attempt at this.Also,the scenes with the First Person look where also a nice addition to the movie.The cast and the overall acting was better than the acting of the first Spiderman movies and the fact that this movies remains true to the origins of Spiderman make this movie better than the rest.The one thing that could have been improved is the final battle which did not really make an impact on me.This movie is definitely recommended for everyone and is a nice and mostly truthful Spiderman movie that all the comic fans will most likely enjoy. Expand
  85. Oct 24, 2012
    Unlike the original triology movies, actually follows and doesn't spit on, Stan Lee's created universe! That's about all I can say about this movie other than it having a much better cast too - each actor looks and plays the roles much better than the predecessors - without a doubt about it!
  86. Jul 20, 2012
    Thing that i like in this movie is those new stuff like the spider web!
    And those dodging skill ! this movie is 90% according to the Comic book!
    And a some moral value for a teenager who use his power randomly.
    Like those scene in school , maybe in the future he will learn 'great power comes with great responsibility'
    Well , A good movie for COMIC BOOK fans!
  87. Jul 23, 2012
    Fun but not perfect. Did the movie need to be made? No but I do not care because no movie needs to get made. This is entertainment and has the best Stan Lee cameo ever
  88. Jul 13, 2012
    First of all, I believe this film should not have been made at all, at least until a much later date. I believe that the reboot of the series came much too early. However, I did still enjoy this movie to some extent. Being a huge fan of Spider-Man and having read the original comics, they spent far too long on the story as to how Peter managed to obtain his powers. However, the fightFirst of all, I believe this film should not have been made at all, at least until a much later date. I believe that the reboot of the series came much too early. However, I did still enjoy this movie to some extent. Being a huge fan of Spider-Man and having read the original comics, they spent far too long on the story as to how Peter managed to obtain his powers. However, the fight scenes easily make up for this, which are just exhilarating. I also believe that they managed to portray the Lizard very well. Andrew Garfield also manages to create a very like-able character. However, I couldn't help but notice was an absence of some key characters, including Harry Osborn. So, overall, action scenes are great, CGI brilliant, but the first half will likely bore those who have already seen the previous films. Expand
  89. Aug 10, 2012
    A true origin movie!!! The actors are much better and it goes much more in depth with the story of Spiderman. Get ready, because when this DVD comes out throw out those horrendous Toby McGuire Spiderman movies and make space for the real Spiderman!!!
  90. Jul 3, 2012
    Dont even bother reading the extremely negative reviews. I was very skeptical going in, but what a hell of a start for a new trilogy. The best part about this fresh start, is the 'darker' direction Sony decided to roll with. And as for Garfield, I'm actually surprised at his performance. Any true Marvel fan will appreciate this movie. Well done. Can't WAIT for the Venom tie in.
  91. Jul 4, 2012
    Stayed much truer to the original comics than its predecessor. Garfield plays a much more believable Peter Parker, and his chemistry with Stone is spot on. The dialog is cute and amusing, but at times Twilight-esk. The action sequences are "meh". It's Peter and Gwen's relationship that make this movie good.
  92. Jul 6, 2012
    Let me start by saying I am a HUGE Spider-man fan. I have been reading the comics since I was a child and I have always been very critical of how he is portrayed.

As excited as I was about the Toby Maguire films, they were very flawed. If you are going to make a movie from characters that already exist, you have to stay as true as possible to those characters. They are popular for a reason and the people going to see them have expectations. The story may have been pretty accurate, but for the most part, the casting, acting, and CGI was horrible (Alfred Molina and Thomas Haden Church excluded, they were fantastic).

That being said, Spider-man had to be remade, and "The Amazing Spider-Man", in my opinion, delivers.

The cast looks as though they were pulled right from the books (minus Sally Field, so NOT Aunt May). Garfield as Parker is brilliant. From his tall, lanky, awkward, yet strong and agile frame to his sarcastic and adolescent comments, he is what I would have imagined and wanted him to be on the big screen.

The Lizard was also very well portrayed. His size, strength, and intelligence came through clearly. No matter how much they showed him I still wanted more.

The CGI was excellent, the changes between real actors and animation were nearly seamless. Spidey's agility was very apparent as some of his poses were recognizable from a few McFarlane issues.

It was also the finer details hat made it great, like Spidey's web shooters and The Lizards lab coat (I would sigh when he took it off).

The story line may not have been as accurate as it should, but his story is always told a little differently each time. I think this version was entertaining and interesting, it gave Spidey some greater depth and made it easier to get behind him.

Now I didn't see this movie for the love story, or the specific actor, or to be on the edge of my seat every second. I went to see Spider-Man be Spider-Man, the fact that everything else about this movie was still fun to watch was a bonus.

Any movie can be picked apart, but If you are a fan like me, you will love this film.
  93. Jul 7, 2012
    This Movie was great, the new Spidey was awesome even with all the changes, Its a totally new FUNNY, POWERFULL,REALISTIC Spiderman, I was hoping to see an Avengers 2 clue but I thik we have to wait
    ooo and It has a secret scene after a Few credits
    It was trully AMAZING
  94. Jul 12, 2012
    The Amazing Spider-Man is one of the best movies this summer. Many reviewers are giving it a low score just because it is Spider- Man's origin story and similar to the 2002 Spider Man. I don't think you should review it like that, considering Tobey Macguire is a crappy Spider Man and this one is a much better version. Andrew Garfield is the perfect Spider Man in my mind. He was great inThe Amazing Spider-Man is one of the best movies this summer. Many reviewers are giving it a low score just because it is Spider- Man's origin story and similar to the 2002 Spider Man. I don't think you should review it like that, considering Tobey Macguire is a crappy Spider Man and this one is a much better version. Andrew Garfield is the perfect Spider Man in my mind. He was great in this movie. Not only that, most of the actors did extremely well, and the story was compelling. I loved it, and you will too! Expand
  95. Jul 15, 2012
    marc webb's new version spider-man is more attractive than sam raimi's trilogy. loved it, also it's very funny! it remains loyal to original comic books so i'll watch again as soon as possible!!
  96. Jul 17, 2012
    A contender for best Spidey film. It exceeds 2002's Spider-Man, it's on-par with the sequel, Spider-Man 2... let's not get started on Spider-Man 3. The plot was intriguing, although the "untold story" is never ACTUALLY told or answered, it kept me interested through-out. The characters are not wasted away like Prometheus, Spider-Man is more akin to his comic-counterpart; it just seems aA contender for best Spidey film. It exceeds 2002's Spider-Man, it's on-par with the sequel, Spider-Man 2... let's not get started on Spider-Man 3. The plot was intriguing, although the "untold story" is never ACTUALLY told or answered, it kept me interested through-out. The characters are not wasted away like Prometheus, Spider-Man is more akin to his comic-counterpart; it just seems a far more satisfying film. The effects are brilliant (the Lizard is great), the action is good, and the emotion is certainly there. Expand
  97. Jul 17, 2012
  98. Jul 21, 2012
    Amazing. The best of the Spider Man's movies. But I wanna see Mary Jane and Gwen in a fight for Peter in The Amazing Spider-Man 2, I'd appreciate that :)
  99. Jul 23, 2012
    This movie had little bit of everything. I found Garfield's Peter Parker very relatable. The chemistry between him and Stone's Gwen Stacy was much better than McGuire's Peter and Durst's MJ in Raimi's trilogy.

1. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Jul 5, 2012
    This might be a fun summer blockbuster if only it even remotely needed to exist.
  2. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Jul 3, 2012
    In short, the character is a lot like the way Stan Lee first envisioned him, but the trilogy's screenwriter Steve Ditko would probably loathe this new, unsatisfying, and hollow-feeling entry into the new cinematic Marvel Universe.
  3. Reviewed by: Joshua Rothkopf
    Jul 3, 2012
    On the whole, it's passable stuff, a surprise, given how mechanical the masked character seemed.