Columbia Pictures | Release Date: July 3, 2012
7.1
Generally favorable reviews based on 1571 Ratings
1,097
WATCH NOW
Check box if your review contains spoilers 0 characteres (5000 max)
relytsJul 7, 2012
Anyone who actually knows anything about Spider-Man would understand this is better than the original. Andrew Garfield's wry sense of humor and character out of costume is more on par with the likes of Spider-Man in every sense. Emma Stone isAnyone who actually knows anything about Spider-Man would understand this is better than the original. Andrew Garfield's wry sense of humor and character out of costume is more on par with the likes of Spider-Man in every sense. Emma Stone is immediately likable and her chemistry with Garfield is great. We were practically forced to like Kirsten Dunst and most of the scenes between her and Maguire were more painfully awkward than enjoyable. Expand
luchsaugenJul 9, 2012
this one is much better than spiderman 3. some really god actions. the scope for 3D however seems restricted. Andrew Garfield looks good in the spider-man outfit. the "web spinner" machine in that watch thing was so cool. i would recommendthis one is much better than spiderman 3. some really god actions. the scope for 3D however seems restricted. Andrew Garfield looks good in the spider-man outfit. the "web spinner" machine in that watch thing was so cool. i would recommend every spidey lover to watch it..... Expand
Loler13grJul 12, 2012
The movie is pretty good. The storyline is great and not much of the basics change from the original film. I like the fact that Merry Jane is not in the movie and Andrew Garfield is relly good. There are both action and funny scenes and thereThe movie is pretty good. The storyline is great and not much of the basics change from the original film. I like the fact that Merry Jane is not in the movie and Andrew Garfield is relly good. There are both action and funny scenes and there is the romance element as well.. And most important there is a scene after the credits so stay and watch ;) Expand
BryceHooglandJul 9, 2012
I was a little on edge about this Spider-Man reboot because I grew up watching Sam Raimi
AbsolutFloydJul 15, 2012
The key to watching this movie is not comparing it to the 2002 Spider-Man and taking it in as an entirely new reboot. I found it very entertaining and enjoyable to watch and is a good stand-alone spiderman origin story. Its still not as goodThe key to watching this movie is not comparing it to the 2002 Spider-Man and taking it in as an entirely new reboot. I found it very entertaining and enjoyable to watch and is a good stand-alone spiderman origin story. Its still not as good as the first. Expand
ChrisFarnworthJul 17, 2012
To be honest I went to this film not expecting much and I came out in eager anticipation for the next. It was much better than the first of the old series with this new film going back to the comics to tell the truth about Spiderman
Viral_VoraJul 24, 2012
Marc Webb tackles Spiderman in The Amazing Spiderman. A bit presumptuous if you ask me to put the adjective Amazing in the title itself especially when you are basically one film old and taking over from Sam Raimi and have relative new comerMarc Webb tackles Spiderman in The Amazing Spiderman. A bit presumptuous if you ask me to put the adjective Amazing in the title itself especially when you are basically one film old and taking over from Sam Raimi and have relative new comer Andrew Garfield donning the spandex unitard that Tobey Maguire wore while swinging across New York City. Does Webb rise to the challenge or does he fail. Does Andrew Garfield succeed where Tobey failed (in impressing me as spidey). Does Emma Stone as Gwen Stacey make a more compelling love interest for Spiderman than Kirsten Dunst's Mary Jane Watson.
Speaking of Marc Webb, I loved his 500 Days of Summer and his unusual approach to a "not-a-love-story". The comparisons to Sam Raimi are inevitable and there are even those are calling this as Spiderman 4 - It is not. This is Webb's human approach to the Spiderman lore. There is a lot more back story as Webb tries to establish the beginning and even the story before the beginning. Webb and his screenplay writer Vanderbilt have infused the story with a lot of humor and it helps you relate to peter parker/Spiderman that i found lacking in Raimi and Maguire's Spiderman often I felt Maguire came off as insufferable. And for someone whose first movie was a romantic comedy heavily reliant on music Webb packs a punch with the action sequences that would make Nolan proud.

Andrew Garfield as a nerdy geeky bullied Peter Parker is charming and as Spiderman is a hero you feel like cheering for. Garfield tasted success with The social network and makes his mark as the masked vigilante. He transitions seamlessly between being a lost helpless orphan to being a radioactive-spider-bitten swinging super hero, a bullied nerdy geeky high-schooler to Emma Stone kissing teenager. Andrew Garfield makes geek chic and makes the unitard sexy. Maybe he is too tall to be Spiderman but I'll take him over Tobey
travispipesJul 31, 2012
Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, and everyone else in the cast is fantastic. The special effects are some of the best ever. What is really amazing though is that the story of Peter Parker becoming Spider-Man is just as fresh and emotional as theAndrew Garfield, Emma Stone, and everyone else in the cast is fantastic. The special effects are some of the best ever. What is really amazing though is that the story of Peter Parker becoming Spider-Man is just as fresh and emotional as the first time it was told 50 years ago. (and the last time we saw it less than 10 years ago.) Expand
byates_101Aug 3, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Tis movie isn't amazing but it is one of the best of the spiderman movies. there are some memorable moments but thre are some ridiculous scenes, like the scene with the construction workers giving spiderman a lift. the cgi wasn't the best but it was still good. The movie dragged a little and the lizard shared similarities to the 2002 Spidermans Green Goblin in an overall score.
Story-7
Cast-8
Sound-8
Animation-6
total-8/10
Great
nerrstyBthirstyMay 4, 2014
The Amazing Spider-Man is not a perfect film, by any stretch of the imagination. It isn't a groundbreaking one, either, by virtue of being a reboot. However, the film that we got was far better than I expected it being, and is in my opinion,The Amazing Spider-Man is not a perfect film, by any stretch of the imagination. It isn't a groundbreaking one, either, by virtue of being a reboot. However, the film that we got was far better than I expected it being, and is in my opinion, the best Spider-Man movie we have to date.

For the rest of this review, I'll be referencing the original Spider-Man from 2002, directed by Sam Raimi, which I will refer to as "SM1." I'll be referring to this film as "TASM."

Being a reboot, it improved, and even managed to fix, a lot of problems that SM1 had. The biggest overall difference is the tone of the film itself. It's more grounded in reality than SM1. It's still a fantastical film, what with a teenager having super-powers, and giant lizard people, yet the tone the film establishes, despite these fantastical elements, works very well. This is thanks to the caliber of acting and the dialogue itself.

Characters are played believably. The character of Peter Parker is one of an average, teenage high-schooler. He's smart, but not obnoxiously smart. He's nerdy enough to be overlooked and bullied by the popular crowd, and he doesn't have to rely on tired nerd stereotyped that were outdated in the 1960s, ala SM1. Andrew Garfield's performance, both as Parker and Spidey, works very well. We believe that he's an average high schooler in this world, and we also believe he's the wise cracking, mask wearing web slinger thanks to his overall range of acting. You buy his emotional scenes just as much as you do his comedic ones, again, thanks to the well written dialogue alongside his shining performance.

Garfield stars opposite of Emma Stone, who plays Gwen Stacey. Gwen's character may not steal the show as much as Garfield's but she's easily one of the best actors in the film. She's just as believable as Garfield is on screen, and so is the romance that occurs between the two.

Marc Webb had previously directed an off-beat romantic film, called (500 Days of Summer), and his talent with that genre shows here. The on-screen chemistry between Garfield and Stone is almost so real you can feel it, and both actors turn in amazing performances while doing interesting things with established characters from the source material.

The pacing of the film is a little off. Considering this is a reboot, it retreads tired ground we've seen in SM1. That doesn't mean that these new takes on old scenes are bad, mind you. In fact, I prefer most of them. It's just that it takes a decent amount of time for the movie to actually kick off and get started as a kick-ass superhero flick. The grounded tone may help the pacing a bit, but not enough to save it from dragging on just a tad bit too long in the first act.

The scenes shown when Parker gets his Spider-Man powers are hilarious as they are intriguing. It was great seeing him adjust to all of these sudden changes, as well as producing his own wrist mounted web shooters and the webbing they use. Considering Garfield is believable in this role, it's not a stretch to imagine that Peter would be capable of doing such a thing.

The costume design reflects this notion, as well. While some aren't too happy with the costume in this film, I'd say it works well for what the director was trying to achieve. The thin lines on the suit help to accentuate Spidey's more slim tone, and he doesn't look beefy in comparison to Maguire's build in SM1, and overall, it compliments the character of both Parker and Spider-Man.

Every main character in this movie is developed very well. We get to see a glimpse into all of their lives; their workplaces, their schools, etc., and how they act and react to and around people, and all the performances are believable. Character development, especially on Peter and Gwen, as well as Cpt. Stacey, is done exceptionally well.

This movie would have perfect character development if it weren't for the villain. Without giving anything away, after some pretty gnarly stuff goes down with his character, we're not too quite sure what his general intentions are after that. Not enough time was spent on his character, and this is a 2 hour film. It's a shame.

The action scenes work surprisingly well, sometimes opting for practical effect which look amazing, and wonderful CGI scenes that are just as serviceable. Most of the action takes place during the night time, which is kind of a shame for Spidey, whose costume works very well during the day, but as a whole, the film and its effects are enthralling to watch.

All in all, I'd say this is a great superhero film. It's not as grounded as Nolan's Batman trilogy, yet it's not as campy as Raimi's Spidey films. It hits a perfect balance somewhere in between. The humor, characters, action, romance; everything in this film just works, and I highly recommend it to both fans of the character and those looking for a solid summer film to watch, in general. It's a great film, let only down by poor development on the villain.
ectobioligistOct 10, 2012
This movie is truly Amazing. It sucks you into the story, and creates realistic and relate-able characters. While some users here might say the first half was boring, I heavily disagree. The first half does nothing but develop characters,This movie is truly Amazing. It sucks you into the story, and creates realistic and relate-able characters. While some users here might say the first half was boring, I heavily disagree. The first half does nothing but develop characters, establish important plot points, and reel you into a semi-realistic action/tragedy/comedy story-line. This movie, in terms of acting, is leagues ahead of the classic trilogy, and does not at ALL sound "forced". Now while I can respect what the original actors tried to do, they just didn't deliver as greatly as Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Rhys Ifans, and all of the other actors did. This movie is simply phenomenal, and I can, without question, call it my favorite super-hero movie of all time. Here's to hoping that the sequel will be even more amazing. Great work, Marc Webb. Expand
birdman3Nov 14, 2012
The original spiderman movies are some of my favorites of all time, so how does this one measure up? It's a good movie that does certain things well (the fight scenes and choreography are fantastic- I believe they are just as good as in theThe original spiderman movies are some of my favorites of all time, so how does this one measure up? It's a good movie that does certain things well (the fight scenes and choreography are fantastic- I believe they are just as good as in the original films), but I feel that Peter Parker is less likeable than he should have been. The movie just isn't as compelling as the originals. As was expected, many of the plot lines are left unraveled by the end of the movie (in fact, no plot lines are wrapped up at all in the course of the movie), so let's hope that we can get some answers soon- otherwise most of this one is just a bunch of cryptic mumbo-jumbo. Expand
JkamesNov 14, 2012
A great movie with quite a few plot holes that keep it from being amazing. The action is really captivating, the drama between the characters is interesting. The film keeps with the comics quite a bit which is nice for a change. You haveA great movie with quite a few plot holes that keep it from being amazing. The action is really captivating, the drama between the characters is interesting. The film keeps with the comics quite a bit which is nice for a change. You have a credible enemy who is a decent match for a hero who is just coming into his powers. Glaring plot holes at the beginning of the movie loses the movie points. What also loses points is the campy ending which is coherent yet lacks total believability in the circumstances. It's a fun and enjoyable movie. Expand
teflontacticsDec 10, 2012
This was a worth while reboot. The original Spiderman suffered from a cartoonish undertone, and horrid acting from most of the main cast. The few good things about it were crushed by its played out take on the whole thing.

What does this

What does this movie have that the other doesn't? Adult jokes, better explanation of his back story, and better acting. I really hope that they make a sequel.
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
A great cast, and solid directing headline the many merits of this exceptionally entertaining, but slightly extraneous reboot.
Jac648Dec 1, 2012
I didn't see this movie in theaters because I thought it wouldn't be that good, but boy was I wrong! The only part I didn't like was when Dr.Connors peeled away the casing on his new arm. That literally scarred me for life...but that's just me!
HenryCaseDec 25, 2012
I'm not a Spider-Man fanboy for life, but I have some pretty average background with the franchise. I loved the Amazing Spider-Man Animations Series of the 90s and also own a bunch of Spider-Man comic books. What I can say is, that this movieI'm not a Spider-Man fanboy for life, but I have some pretty average background with the franchise. I loved the Amazing Spider-Man Animations Series of the 90s and also own a bunch of Spider-Man comic books. What I can say is, that this movie reminds me much more on the memories and style and story of the Spider-Man I know from my childhood than the last Trilogy by Raimi (which I didn't like that much). A lot of people seem to dislike the new movie, but in my eyes it is far superior to the raimi-trilogy when it comes to lore, comic-book feeling and 80s / 90s atmosphere. But maybe I'm not the best reference as I tend to dislike a lot of modern superhero movies. Expand
sanyrubFeb 15, 2013
Totally enjoyable. Funny and warm. Best thing is the new actor playing Spider-man/Peter Parker: Andrew Garfield is sensational. It feels more real than Tobey McGuire playing the part. Rest of the cast is really good too. Overall the acting isTotally enjoyable. Funny and warm. Best thing is the new actor playing Spider-man/Peter Parker: Andrew Garfield is sensational. It feels more real than Tobey McGuire playing the part. Rest of the cast is really good too. Overall the acting is better than in the previous trilogy. Another good point is the soundtrack, really nice. Some of the special effects are amazing, others not that much. Probably the weakest point is the plot once the lizard starts his plan. It´s obvious they eliminated too many scenes and some things didn´t make sense. I suppose they didn´t want to make the movie longer than what it is (2 hours). People interested can see the deleted scenes in the dvd release. It really helps. The movie has a little touch of realism compared to the previous trilogy and it´s certainly appreciated. The upcoming second part is really promising with this director and actors. Expand
AmardeepMar 10, 2013
It has all element a good entertaining superhero movie needs. A good plot with nice performances. Its more thought provoking than Sam Raimi's Spider-Man.
Paul55donovanFeb 5, 2013
A well acted action packed superhero film that makes this well needed a reboot a success. This new storyline proves that we will see Peter Parker's teenage years and will show a bigger development in the story than a huge jump from highA well acted action packed superhero film that makes this well needed a reboot a success. This new storyline proves that we will see Peter Parker's teenage years and will show a bigger development in the story than a huge jump from high school-er to photographer. Expand
DKS01Feb 18, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I first heard the Spider-Man film series was gonna be rebooted, I was pretty pissed. But then I saw the a trailer, and I thought "Hmm this could be pretty good". So one day I was on a plane, decided to watch a movie, and there it was the Amazing Spider-Man. And what do I have to say? It's just as good as the first movie. I find Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man more humorous then Tobey Maguire's, however I felt Tobey's fit the high school dork role, with Andrew seeming more like of the everyman. So I believe while Tobey was a better Peter Parker, Andrew is a better Spider-Man. Although I do have issues with the whole promising to stay away from the dying man's daughter only to say "Promises you can't keep are the best kind"....wtf? I was a little peeved she didn't slap him in the face. I have mixed feelings about switching back to the web shooters from the comics. As while they may be iconic and a sign of the character's intellect. I've always felt Spider-Man should naturally posses the ability, but that's just nitpicking. As for the love interest, I personally have a preference for Mary-Jane over Gwen, having grown up on the 90's animated series where Gwen didn't appear. However I happen to be a fan of Emma Stone (Superbad, Zombieland, Easy A) and whoa was she great in this movie. She's got me hoping that they do not follow the death of Gwen Stacy from the comics. Rhys Ifans also does a great job of making Curt Conners sympathetic, and the Lizard villainous. Although I think the Lizard would've looked better with a snout like in the comics. All in all, solid acting, a decent story, and amazing effects. It's really a shame that the film was over-shadowed by The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises......Okay I'm just kidding those films were both better. But The Amazing Spider-Man is defiantly worth a watch. Expand
bradtheman123Jun 12, 2014
This movie got a lot of hate and I understand why. It's just not what people expected it to be. I strongly believe that this was a lot better than the older ones with Toby McGuire. This seemed like it actually was able to tell a story. AndThis movie got a lot of hate and I understand why. It's just not what people expected it to be. I strongly believe that this was a lot better than the older ones with Toby McGuire. This seemed like it actually was able to tell a story. And doing it in a lot better acting. The squeal to this was expected to be good, but I thought it was kind of awful to be honest. Once again I choose, the first over the second. Expand
ScorpionApr 25, 2013
It is much like the 2002 version, the plot and relatively good action scenes Guides, reasonable performances but q makes the 2002 version better and charisma tobey maguarey, which has adrew garfield
dark_mater97Jun 21, 2013
Marvel never ceases to amaze me with their movies well most of them, but this particular film was well... AMAZING! First of all Andrew Garfield did a really good job playing the Spider-man character, but his Peter Parker performance wasn't asMarvel never ceases to amaze me with their movies well most of them, but this particular film was well... AMAZING! First of all Andrew Garfield did a really good job playing the Spider-man character, but his Peter Parker performance wasn't as great as Toby Maguire's portrayal. Stone and Garfield don't really have chemistry in acting so that made this film awkward at times. The film also told a really good story and separated itself from the first Spider-man in 2002. Although some of the plot points are similar, the villain is different and this movie actually shows Peter's parents rather than not show them at all. Also, when this movie came out on DVD it shows many of the deleted scenes that would have been great character development for Doctor Curtis Connors (The Lizard) who despite didn't have the greatest development did a really good job portraying The Lizard. Overall this movie was a really good one and I highly recommend it.
Overall: 8.5/10
kubathereviewerAug 11, 2013
I think this is a fantastic movie and in my opinion better than the other Spider-man movies. They choose the perfect actor to play Peter Parker/Spider-man. Overall a really enjoyable movie for comic book fans and fans of good movies.
SuperheroMoviesAug 1, 2013
Serving two fantastic leads in Garfield and Stone as well as a great villain in Rhys Ifans as The Lizard, everything works out perfectley in this superb reboot of my favorite superhero. It's truly amazing, not just amazing, but quite spectacular!
McFranzOct 29, 2013
It's a good film so I'll give it a 8/10. The actions are pretty cool too, the way Peter Parker gets his webbing powers are well-explained. The film has a few hilarious scenes so it's a great movie to watch for all age.
eagleeyevikingDec 17, 2013
The Amazing Spider-Man is a mostly successful reboot of Spiderman despite having an agonizingly weak antagonist and shared plots with first Spider-Man movie.
KaptainHutchinoDec 12, 2013
Stays a lot like the first Spider-Man in terms of plot, but action-packed fight sequences and great use of CGI make it a fresh take on Peter Parker's story.
KayakMar 4, 2014
I really think this is underrated by a lot of people. Despite the obvious flaw of a rehashed story, I think looking past that, every aspect of this film is immensely superior to any other adaption, not just that of Raimi. Amazing acting;I really think this is underrated by a lot of people. Despite the obvious flaw of a rehashed story, I think looking past that, every aspect of this film is immensely superior to any other adaption, not just that of Raimi. Amazing acting; Stone never ceases to amaze me. Smart slick humour which I always love, and pretty damn great action sequences. A few odd soundtrack choices, but apart from that and a few other flaws, I don't see much wrong with this film. I thoroughly enjoyed it! Expand