The American Astronaut

8.3

1. CoreyY.
    Jun 8, 2005
    Like nothing I've ever seen before.
  2. Sonny
    Nov 2, 2001
    funny - if you're in the mood for something completely different.
  3. JonathanA.
    Feb 25, 2002
    I give it a ten alone for the silver miners bit. A low budget science fiction movie filled with fantastical absurdity that -actually- works is a rare beast indeed.
  4. NainzE.
    Feb 8, 2002
    This is the most original thing I've seen in a very, very long time. Like if the old MST3K writers got together and made a movie. Gorgeous photography to boot. Makes the cheap plywood sets actually look good.
  5. TicoF.
    Feb 23, 2005
    Beautiful lighting makes gorgeous black & white photography. Hilarious songs are also rocking. This one is a charmer. If you like Guy Maddin movies and garage rock, take a gander at this one.
  6. dannyc
    Jul 3, 2005
    This film will go in history as a great original classic. A very clever film with extraordinary characters and score. The corporate reviews from above shows me how insipid and dead the world is becoming, I rate this movie a big 10.
  7. Nate
    Sep 2, 2005
    Hilarious, alive, original, vital, wonderful.
  8. AndreaA.
    Jan 29, 2006
    This is a movie you either love or hate- I loved it. I think the music alone makes it a classic.
  9. WilderS.
    Jan 5, 2006
    YES I love this movie. My mom would hate it but that's ok.
  10. BrandonK.
    Dec 23, 2001
    Funny, original, and has a rockin soundtrack. i havent seen anything this enjoyable since Six String Samuri.
  11. PaxF.
    Jun 17, 2003
    Genius. beautifuly photographed, beautifuly cut, and so damn wierd. the rythm is enchanting and the sound track will be stuck in your head for weeks. if you dont like it go watch american pie and dont waste your time on art films.
  12. ScotL.
    Dec 7, 2004
    Fantastically absurd!
  13. K.M.
    Oct 16, 2006
    This film is certainly absolutely nonsensical, and it certainly doesn't adhere those mainstream rules of "character development" and, say, "plot". But the music is wonderful. The photography is stellar. It will make you laugh. In the ways it wanted to succeed, it managed to, admirably.
  14. Jan 27, 2013
    The American Astronaut is a stylish beatnik nonsense slightly comic alternative low budget sci-fi movie. Or something like that. It's crazy, sometimes it's annoying, but it's fun.

1. The best part of this proudly absurd experience is the music.
  2. Rarely funny and straining to reach feature length, The American Astronaut achieves sweetness via its straight-faced take on utter gobbledygook.
  3. Reviewed by: Dennis Harvey
    Unfortunately that blast-off heralds an orbit to nowhere, with initial delight fading as pic runs out of ideas all too soon, never building a sense of momentum or narrative thrust.