7.6

1. May 3, 2011
    A fun political rom-com. As a huge fan of "The West Wing," I thought it was fun to see the film that started it all, but also had higher expectations of the dialogue and writing. It was also a little weird seeing Martin Sheen as the chief of staff.
  2. Dec 31, 2012
    This is a well crafted motion picture from beginning to end. You can feel yourself going through time to a simpler time. The cast and the acting that they do is perfect from top to bottom if there if a bottom. This movie is in my top ten along with Casablanca and Citizen Kane. Try this movie and I promise that you will not be disappointed.

Watching The American President, I felt respect for the craft that went into it: the flawless re-creation of the physical world of the White House, the smart and accurate dialogue, the manipulation of the love story to tug our heartstrings.
    It comes across as painfully politically correct, offering trite sermons on various "hot-button" issues (gun control and the greenhouse effect). The narrative follows an unwavering by-the-numbers strategy with an ending that echoes the "cornball" of Al Pacino's climactic Scent of a Woman speech.
  3. With great looks, a dandy supporting cast, a zinger-filled screenplay by Aaron Sorkin ("A Few Good Men") and Mr. Douglas twinkling merrily in the Oval Office, The American President is sunny enough to make the real Presidency pale by comparison.