The Artist

8.1

1. Feb 14, 2012
    I was wondering the effectiveness of this movie. I mean, a black and white film in 2011? Robbing all the Golden Globes and SAG Awards? Something must be **** up, I thought. I was terribly wrong. "The Artist" is possibly one of the greatest films ever created in the 21st century. It's almost flawless; the actors are downright perfect and the script is just **** optimistic and a poignantI was wondering the effectiveness of this movie. I mean, a black and white film in 2011? Robbing all the Golden Globes and SAG Awards? Something must be **** up, I thought. I was terribly wrong. "The Artist" is possibly one of the greatest films ever created in the 21st century. It's almost flawless; the actors are downright perfect and the script is just **** optimistic and a poignant reminder of those old no-sound movies. It made me laugh and cry, and I don't do those stuff very often. I believe this deserves the best picture Oscar. Expand
  2. Jan 13, 2012
    Did not think I would like a silent movie but I loved this one. Now I know what the great movies must have been like in the 20's! The music and expressions were all that is needed to get the message across. It's black and white, and that also added to the movie.
  3. Jan 24, 2012
    A wonderful film that is very crowd pleasing and also very ambitious. The ambition of the film for the most part pays off and is a good enough reason to make a silent film in our time. The film does not need words for it's actors or great symbolism. Overall the film is very solid and one of the best of the year.
  4. Apr 8, 2012
    I too question if a silent film would be able to hold up in days where action films rule and it suprisingly does. I really enjoyed The Artist and I would highly recommend it.
  5. Jan 28, 2012
    A refreshing, unique movie in these modern days of 3D, robots, aliens, and huge, vapid blockbusters, "The Artist" is the charming story of a huge silent movie star, George Valentin, on the precipice of industry change, unable to adapt as "talkies" begin to rule the world. The appeal of this film is centered around animated performances, adorable situations and a genuinely stellar attemptA refreshing, unique movie in these modern days of 3D, robots, aliens, and huge, vapid blockbusters, "The Artist" is the charming story of a huge silent movie star, George Valentin, on the precipice of industry change, unable to adapt as "talkies" begin to rule the world. The appeal of this film is centered around animated performances, adorable situations and a genuinely stellar attempt at something different. While it certainly deserves recognition as one of the best of the year, the push as "Best Picture" is a tad overzealous. The simplicity of the plot is required in order to supplement the lack of voice for the sake of common understanding. As a result, it's hard for me rank it as the absolute best of the year. However, the genius of "The Artist" is how that simple story is woven into a tapestry of the brilliance of sound and how George can finally use his own "voice." Expand
  6. Jan 10, 2012
    Stylistically, "The Artist" is exquisite. Director Michel Hazanavicius wields the camera like a magician treating us to one delightful shot after another. It was wonderful to see all of the creativity that went in to every single moment. The story isn't bad either. There where quite a few moments where I had a big open faced smile and a case of the chuckles. But mostly, those chuckles cameStylistically, "The Artist" is exquisite. Director Michel Hazanavicius wields the camera like a magician treating us to one delightful shot after another. It was wonderful to see all of the creativity that went in to every single moment. The story isn't bad either. There where quite a few moments where I had a big open faced smile and a case of the chuckles. But mostly, those chuckles came because of the talented cast. Jean Dujardin and Berenice Bejo perfectly portray their characters, Dujardin a struggling silent film actor, and Bejo a hot celebrity rising to the top after the invention of talkies. Together, they radiate chemistry and always keep the movie hopping along even during the unhappiest of times. The only drawback for me was the running time. With a story so familiar, I felt like about 10 minutes of the movie should have been cut particularly when Dujardin is going through the rough times in his life. I know that the familiar story is part of the "silent movie" style in itself, and I also know that many other viewers found the storyline to be enchanting. But for me, I was never swept up in the magic. It started to build for me in the beginning, but it sunk in the middle as I waited for Dujardin to recover and make it back on top for the eventual happy ending. Still, "The Artist" is an expertly handled exercise in style. If you can find the substance as well as the style, you will absolutely love it. But if you're like me, and you only enjoyed the creativity of the storytelling, you won't love it, but there will be plenty to excite you. Expand
  7. Jan 28, 2012
    What a great movie to watch. It had everything that makes a movie viewing experience magical. It was funny, charming, sweet, romantic, sad and enjoyable. Jean Dujardin and Berenice Bejo performed wonderfully and is directed, written and edited perfectly. Going to be in my top 3 for sure. Amazing.
  8. Feb 26, 2012
    The Artist is cheery, charming and beautifully made. With amazingly charming performances from Berenice Bejo and Jean Dujardin who provide all the charm and the most moving moments seen in film in years. I give this film 100% of a good movie.
  9. Jan 22, 2012
    This was a really entertaining movie. It really drew on the art of the silent movies with a breezy story. And who doesn't like Uggie the dog?
  10. Jan 11, 2012
    George Valentin (Jean Dujardin) has a dream halfway through The Artist with real sound. He sets a glass down on the table and it makes a noise. The phone rings, the dog barks, and it all sounds so harsh and shrill. Both George and the audience wait for George to wake up and end these horrible noises. Please, take us back to the wonderful world of silent film in black and white whoseGeorge Valentin (Jean Dujardin) has a dream halfway through The Artist with real sound. He sets a glass down on the table and it makes a noise. The phone rings, the dog barks, and it all sounds so harsh and shrill. Both George and the audience wait for George to wake up and end these horrible noises. Please, take us back to the wonderful world of silent film in black and white whose only sound is the soothing cinematic orchestral score. Yes, The Artist is silent. The actors are moving their mouths but only every now and then does a dialogue screen pop up for the audience to read. The effect of this throwback is a mesmerizing masterpiece. Just as Hugo was homage to the earliest films and George Melies, The Artist celebrates the late 1920s silent film era and appears so accurate it most likely could have been released in 1927. The giveaway is that everybody in the movie theater on screen is smoking. Nobody in Hugo Expand
  11. Dec 27, 2011
    What a charming film! I saw it at the Toronto International Film Festival and at the end of the film, everyone gave a standing ovation to the film and its director and cast. This film put a smile on my face. The story is intelligent -- a black and white silent film that tells the story of a silent film movie star who doesn't believe in talking pictures. This film is an Oscar best pictureWhat a charming film! I saw it at the Toronto International Film Festival and at the end of the film, everyone gave a standing ovation to the film and its director and cast. This film put a smile on my face. The story is intelligent -- a black and white silent film that tells the story of a silent film movie star who doesn't believe in talking pictures. This film is an Oscar best picture with best actor and actress. (I have noticed that many different awards consider Bérénice Bejo a supporting actress! That's wrong in my opinion. Her character and performance is absolutely a lead performance.) Her star power shouldn't affect the category of the performance. Expand
  12. Jan 14, 2012
    This was an enjoyable movie. I wouldn't really score it a perfect 10 or 100 (as many users and critics have), but I enjoyed it. The plot is pretty simple, and very close to that of Singing in the Rain, but it feels creative and different because it's a silent movie itself...not just a movie about them. I feel like if it wasn't a silent movie in black and white, it would have gotten onlyThis was an enjoyable movie. I wouldn't really score it a perfect 10 or 100 (as many users and critics have), but I enjoyed it. The plot is pretty simple, and very close to that of Singing in the Rain, but it feels creative and different because it's a silent movie itself...not just a movie about them. I feel like if it wasn't a silent movie in black and white, it would have gotten only modest reviews. It's pretty much the most interesting thing about it. I did like the movie, but I found myself comparing it to Singing in the Rain the whole time, which is one of my favorite movies and is much funnier and more entertaining. But The Artist is still a good movie and worth seeing in the theatre. I loved the dog. Expand
  13. Jan 15, 2012
    The Artist has swept into UK cinemas on a tidal wave of critical acclaim, and a raft of increasingly major awards. Set in the late 1920s, just as the advent of sound overturns the Hollywood status quo, The Artist tracks the pride and fall of George Valentin (Jean DuJardin, best known over here for the OSS 117 espionage parodies) following a chance encounter with Peppy Miller (personifiedThe Artist has swept into UK cinemas on a tidal wave of critical acclaim, and a raft of increasingly major awards. Set in the late 1920s, just as the advent of sound overturns the Hollywood status quo, The Artist tracks the pride and fall of George Valentin (Jean DuJardin, best known over here for the OSS 117 espionage parodies) following a chance encounter with Peppy Miller (personified by the delightful Bérénice Bejo).

Itâ
  14. Jan 12, 2012
    Being younger and not thinking this type of film would work in my time, I thought this film was AMAZING!!!! I loved the characters played by Jean and Berenice; there was literally almost nothing I can find that is wrong with this film. Now the hard part for me is deciding whether this or "Tree of Life" should win Best Picture in the Oscar race.
  15. Feb 1, 2012
    Its hard finding the words to describe how wonderful this film was. The Artist is an enjoyable piece of work that has a simple, yet impressive story. It boast beautiful visuals:- from its lavish sets, to its bold black&white cinematography. Though simple the story was translated to the screen well by director, Michel Hazanavicius, who also handles its vintage black&white and silent-filmIts hard finding the words to describe how wonderful this film was. The Artist is an enjoyable piece of work that has a simple, yet impressive story. It boast beautiful visuals:- from its lavish sets, to its bold black&white cinematography. Though simple the story was translated to the screen well by director, Michel Hazanavicius, who also handles its vintage black&white and silent-film elements very well. The plot a silent film star who's unable to transition to the new medium of talking film.The clever use of inter titles and sound (and lack there-of) in key sequences adds an interesting paradox to the film and its plot. It did drag a little in the second act, but it picked up again thanks to the silent performances. With that said, Jean Dujardin and Berenice Bejo are excellent, after all, action speaks louder than words. Expand
  16. Dec 26, 2011
    The Artist was a wonderful surprise! I do enjoy a good silent film but these days it is a bit of an effort to get yourself to actually sit down and watch one, as is a documentary. But either genre can be a delight if they are done well, as this one is. I was afraid that my 22 year old son and I would get bored and had already told him we could leave early if that was the case, but we wereThe Artist was a wonderful surprise! I do enjoy a good silent film but these days it is a bit of an effort to get yourself to actually sit down and watch one, as is a documentary. But either genre can be a delight if they are done well, as this one is. I was afraid that my 22 year old son and I would get bored and had already told him we could leave early if that was the case, but we were anything but bored. I found myself caught up in the story line and characters almost immediately. It was a real pleasure! Expand
  17. Oct 25, 2012
    "The Artist" is a comedy-drama set in 1920s Hollywood, following the fortunes of a successful actor moving from the age of silent films to movies with sound.

Upon first watch, this film is an undoubted triumph. Whilst a little difficult to adjust to at first - given our acclimatisation to special effects, colour, and, hell, dialogue - the black and white, mostly speech-lacking layout of "The Artist" is soon both a joy and a pleasure to watch. In terms of character arcs the story is a familiar one, that of a man refusing to adapt to a changing world and risking being left behind because of it. The performances had to be fantastic, and are. Jean Dujardin is immensely likeable as George Valentin, and exuberant performances from co-lead Berenice Bejo and support cast including John Goodman and the wonderful James Cromwell help the story zip along nicely. (The best performance is, of course, that of the dog, who provides the films funniest and, surprisingly, most touching moments.)

Stylistically the film is also superb. The essence of old cinema is captured expertly and the tinkling score is a perfect match. Even the speech cards work well. My personal favourite scene follows George Valentin's first encounter with "talkies" (films with sound): a nightmare where everything around him suddenly makes noise for the first time... except for himself. He tries yelling but ends up being laughed at by a growing group of dancers walking past. The scene ends with a feather touching down lightly on the floor with a sound like a bomb.

It was to my dismay that the film did not held up as well to repeat viewings. Maybe the novelty wore off, or maybe the foreknowledge of the plot was a problem, but "The Artist" lacks the punch it first provided when re-watching it later. Bizarrely, this exact problem is mirrored by another film of the past few years that couldn't be more different in terms of effects and budget: Avatar.

The Artist is a film well worth watching, and should please anyone willing to give it a go with an open mind, but one viewing is probably enough.
  18. Jan 27, 2012
    It was a piece of art in itself. Fantastic job and well made. I was not sure what to expect going into the theater, but while I was watching it, I felt like I was an audience member from the 20s! "The Artist" was spectacular and utterly surprised me. I did not expect to understand everything that was happening in the movie and yet I did. One can tell the Director and his co-workers didIt was a piece of art in itself. Fantastic job and well made. I was not sure what to expect going into the theater, but while I was watching it, I felt like I was an audience member from the 20s! "The Artist" was spectacular and utterly surprised me. I did not expect to understand everything that was happening in the movie and yet I did. One can tell the Director and his co-workers did research on the average person. Bravo. I would like to see more silent movies in theaters. As I always like to say, "The Old is the new New!" Expand
  19. Dec 12, 2011
    An excellent film that knows film. Hyper aware of what has come before it while doing something different because it can. A delightful melodrama with some laughs mixed in.
  20. Jan 3, 2012
    You cannot doze or take your eyes off the screen during this movie, and the acting and direction will keep you focused. This is daring moviemaking, and wonderful artistry. Liked it a lot, but ultimately, it's a one-time only viewing for me.
  21. Jan 15, 2012
    Amazing film, I went to see it without reading any reviews or hype and really enjoyed it. It's an absolute master piece and it made me cry, laugh and feel very entertained through out. Beautiful acting deserving of oscars. Get to the cinema now! ! : )
  22. Jan 28, 2012
    This is a beautifully told story taking the best elements of both modern and classical films. Though it will surely come across as a fairly good movie to most movie-goers, those who truely understand the artistic elements behind it will be blown away by its incredible depth. From realizing the subtle things, such as a pillar in the center of a camera shot showing seperation between twoThis is a beautifully told story taking the best elements of both modern and classical films. Though it will surely come across as a fairly good movie to most movie-goers, those who truely understand the artistic elements behind it will be blown away by its incredible depth. From realizing the subtle things, such as a pillar in the center of a camera shot showing seperation between two people, one can understand the true beauty of this film. Of course, the story is nothing to laugh at, either. It's a wonderful story, and it is well told. However, it is a bit predictable and does not attach you to the characters as much as it could. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a bad story. I'm simply saying that I think it had the potential to do more. While it is a wonderful movie, and I think is seen as such by the average moviegoer as well, I still wish it were more accessible to those who could not understand all its subtleties. This is its greatest shortcoming; this movie was mostly made for people who can understand all the subtle intricacies of films. For this reason, I would say that if you are of average understanding of film, this is a great movie to see and I would definitely suggest it. However, if you are able to understand things beyond the surface in a film, then this movie is, without a doubt, a must-see. Expand
  23. Nov 23, 2011
    I love a good silent movie. No need for words when the story is that good..........

Felt quite emotional watching this trailer. There are several clever, even brilliant moments in the film. The power of music is phenomenal. I wish the movie could got a nomination for Best Picture in OSCAR.......
  24. Nov 26, 2011
    What an amazing film. I knew Jean Dujardin would bring talent to the table based on his comic turns in the OSS movies - and he does a great job. But Berenice Bejo is the real find here, though. She lights up the screen like nobody I've seen since Elena Anaya in Sex & Lucia. (Or maybe Paz Vega in Spanglish - yes, that was a good movie!) It's a classic Hollywood film that shouldn't be missed.
  25. Nov 30, 2011
    SIMPLY....IT'S AN EXCELLENT MOVIE....it's dedicated for love movies .....the movie remains movies like sunset boulevard, the thin man and chaplin movies...
  26. Nov 26, 2011
    I first saw this trailer makes me amazed.
    This will be the preferred film and loved by many people.
    Acting from Jean Dujardin and Berenice Bejo also Uggy the dog is very impressive and memorable way.
    Dujardin won the Cannes Film Festival's Best Actor Award for his performance.
  27. Jan 4, 2012
    While one can certainly not like a movie for many reasons, not liking it because it is an artfully made homage to and about black and white silent films is, at the very least, immature. Critics love this movie because, in general, movie critics love movies and the history of the art form. Much like Hugo, The Artist has a soft spot for the silent film era. This movie is beautiful andWhile one can certainly not like a movie for many reasons, not liking it because it is an artfully made homage to and about black and white silent films is, at the very least, immature. Critics love this movie because, in general, movie critics love movies and the history of the art form. Much like Hugo, The Artist has a soft spot for the silent film era. This movie is beautiful and well shot, using modern techniques and cinematography to replicate old style silent movies. It is true that one needs more of an attention span to appreciate a movie like this. It is also valid to suggest that much of the plot is nothing groundbreakingly new. But there are so many truly bad, and quite frankly mind numbingly stupid, movies released for mass consumption in the U.S. that it is refreshing to see someone try something different, novel and inspired. Expand
  28. Jan 3, 2012
    The Artist will stand as one of the best films throughout this decade. Jean Dujardin is incredible (I think should easily win Best Actor @ the Oscars), along with Bérénice Bejo's performance as the adorable Peppy Miller. I advise that YOU do NOT watch the trailer prior to seeing this film. Basically, nearly all of the story is told through the trailer, along withThe Artist will stand as one of the best films throughout this decade. Jean Dujardin is incredible (I think should easily win Best Actor @ the Oscars), along with Bérénice Bejo's performance as the adorable Peppy Miller. I advise that YOU do NOT watch the trailer prior to seeing this film. Basically, nearly all of the story is told through the trailer, along with ruining, not necessarily, okay ruining, the best scenes. (Soapbox moment) ... Why do American trailers ruin films? Drive, The Artist, Hugo...STOP! ... See the Artist! Expand
  29. Dec 29, 2011
    I love Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton, so I was looking forward to this modern homage to the silent films of old. I found the film to be charming, but it was predictable and not as funny as I had hoped. The reason Chaplin and Keaton were so great was because of their great physical comedy which required unbelievable timing. This film has little to none of that, just a simple storyI love Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton, so I was looking forward to this modern homage to the silent films of old. I found the film to be charming, but it was predictable and not as funny as I had hoped. The reason Chaplin and Keaton were so great was because of their great physical comedy which required unbelievable timing. This film has little to none of that, just a simple story with a few chuckles here and there. The best things about the film for me were the dog and the soundtrack. The music fit the scenes perfectly. The acting and cinematography are very good but I would have preferred a more comedic script and more physical comedy. Expand
  30. Jan 22, 2012
    With the advent of the talkies in Hollywood, the career of a silent film star declines, as a cute young starlet is on the rise. In keeping with the period, it's in 1.33:1 ratio black and white with a musical accompaniment. There are title cards to explain some of the dialogue (they're on screen much faster than in the 30s). Besides all these devices, the simple story proves engaging, theWith the advent of the talkies in Hollywood, the career of a silent film star declines, as a cute young starlet is on the rise. In keeping with the period, it's in 1.33:1 ratio black and white with a musical accompaniment. There are title cards to explain some of the dialogue (they're on screen much faster than in the 30s). Besides all these devices, the simple story proves engaging, the actors are appealing and the director has added some clever flourishes to freshen it up. This is not an important film, as much as a sweet and charming homage. Expand
  31. Jan 4, 2012
    'The Artist' is unlike anything you have ever seen. It is meticulously crafted and edited to present an often surreal experience, but a consistently sweet and engaging one. About a quarter of the way through the film you'll be hooked, forgetting that it has no dialog at all. The music will lull you into the story and the subtle nuances of the acting will slide right by you, felling'The Artist' is unlike anything you have ever seen. It is meticulously crafted and edited to present an often surreal experience, but a consistently sweet and engaging one. About a quarter of the way through the film you'll be hooked, forgetting that it has no dialog at all. The music will lull you into the story and the subtle nuances of the acting will slide right by you, felling simply appropriate. There is a dream sequence (all I'll say) that is beyond brilliant. The film ends in a wonderful climax that will leave you entranced. Expand
  32. Dec 12, 2011
    Please don't see this movie. I've seen it twice and need to see it again. Wait until after it wins the Oscar when you'll feel embarrassed for not having believed all the reviews.
  33. Nov 26, 2011
    One of the best film of the year! It is brilliant, original, funny, and the actors (Jean Dujardin and Bérénice Bejo) are very talented. There are great musics too. It feels good to see something different for once.
    I have only one thing left to say : GO SEE IT! :)
  34. Jan 29, 2012
    This was a very enjoyable film. Clever, fun, well-cast, with great twists and turns. Bérénice Bejo was fantastic, such a vibrant woman, so authentic. The dog was superb, and although the film did drag in places, all-in-all it was great fun.
  35. Lyn
    Feb 5, 2012
    What a fun and creative film. Lead actor is brilliant, lead actress utterly charming, and it's interesting how the lack of sound makes you attend extra closely to every facial crease and raised eyebrow. This movie gives you a happiness hangover.
  36. Jan 28, 2012
    Brilliant. You've heard it's a silent film and you wonder how could it be so great, why are so many people raving about it. Well it really is pure genius, a glorious work of art. The two leads - Jean Dujardin and Berenice Bejo - are superb and the dog deserves an Oscar. It's obvious why Dujardin won the Cannes Best Actor Award. Bravo.
  37. Mar 5, 2012
    What??? How could this have a 7.9? This movie AT LEAST deserves an 8.5. Yes, the movie was full of cliches, but it was executed SO WELL! How could you do this to me?
  38. Feb 29, 2012
    A lovely film, driven by her killer soundtrack, a masterful interpretations and the sentimentality that surrounds you all the nice time when you are looking at.
  39. Feb 19, 2012
    I like commercial movies, not artsy movies. So I was skeptical about this one. But boy, did it win me over. Not sure how this movie even got made, but I'm glad it did. Maybe not for everyone, but this movie's casting a far bigger net than I'd ever of thought. Kudos to everyone involved.
  40. Feb 24, 2012
    Speechless... is one word to describe thiz movie. It has been proven that you do not need expensive Actors or famous Director to make a terrific movie. The movie is presented like an old time silent movie, it is black and white, almost no conversation and even was shot in the 1.33 : 1 aspect ratio. It takes place in 1927, when George Valentin (Jean Dujardin) was the king of silent movies.Speechless... is one word to describe thiz movie. It has been proven that you do not need expensive Actors or famous Director to make a terrific movie. The movie is presented like an old time silent movie, it is black and white, almost no conversation and even was shot in the 1.33 : 1 aspect ratio. It takes place in 1927, when George Valentin (Jean Dujardin) was the king of silent movies. An unexpected encounter with the young and lovely rising star Peppy Miller (Bérénice Bejo) takes him to the mutual delight adventure in film industry. Every Actor plays its role perfectly, main or supporting. Jean Dujardin performs a superb and flawless acting. His charisma is unquestionable central element. He got the eye gaze, the eyebrow raised, the eyelash flutter, the dancing, everything that knocks down the game entirely. His opposite love interest, Bérénice Bejo creates an equal presence. Maybe she is not the most gorgeous blonde girl figures, but she is positively charming in every way. Other roles which are played by John Goodman, Penelope Ann Miller and James Cromwell as a loyal butler and even the dog are proportionally fit as they need to be. The plot is perfectly told. Although it is a black and white silent movie, every minute you spend it does not make you bore at all. The selection of Musical Scores is vital. Music is the life of thiz movie. It flows up and down dynamically during the mood changing in every scene. The man behind the curtain is Michel Hazanavicius, the under radar and unknown Director takes the risk to do something completely different and it seems to be perfectly pay off. I have to say that the conflict issue is brilliant! It is a solid winning theme. If you are an Actor or someone who has been involved in thiz industry, you will surely appreciate the message behind thiz movie. It is a Golden Gate that bridging the intergenerational gap. Silence is Golden, my friend!

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE: http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  41. Mar 2, 2012
    This is a genuinely impressive movie that doesn't use its nature as a silent film as a gimmick but instead a way to enhance the film. Facial expressions, body language, these are still excellent ways of telling a story and it is nice to watch a movie where the audience isn't spoonfed every detail. It has a simple, predictable plot in keeping with the films of its era and yet I still foundThis is a genuinely impressive movie that doesn't use its nature as a silent film as a gimmick but instead a way to enhance the film. Facial expressions, body language, these are still excellent ways of telling a story and it is nice to watch a movie where the audience isn't spoonfed every detail. It has a simple, predictable plot in keeping with the films of its era and yet I still found it involving and engaging. This could be attributed to the great performances of the cast or the fact that this is a movie with real heart. Expand
  42. Jan 27, 2012
    How good is The Artist?? W-O-W!!!! SOOOOO worthy of all the buzz!! What an amazing tribute to motion pictures! Definitely the "must-see" picture of the year. Brilliantly creative and thoroughly entertaining from start-to-finish. Had my doubts if this needed to be seen on the 'big screen" or not.... and the answer is a resounding YES!!!! Its been a long time since I sat with a movieHow good is The Artist?? W-O-W!!!! SOOOOO worthy of all the buzz!! What an amazing tribute to motion pictures! Definitely the "must-see" picture of the year. Brilliantly creative and thoroughly entertaining from start-to-finish. Had my doubts if this needed to be seen on the 'big screen" or not.... and the answer is a resounding YES!!!! Its been a long time since I sat with a movie audience that all applauded a film at the end. Just in case there is any doubt,.... this one earns an A+. Expand
  43. j30
    Feb 19, 2012
    The Artist, making a statement about art and the film industry without saying a word. I had my doubts going into the film. but came out of the theater very impressed. Definitely one of the best pictures of the year. How could you not fall in love with this underdog of a movie?
  44. Mar 2, 2012
    The Artist was entertaining, which is incredibly surprising. It may have been a gimmick according to some but forgetting the hype, it is a well-made, well put together movie with great performances.
  45. Feb 22, 2012
    Absolutely Amazing ! The Artist proves that no matter how Improved the film world is now but That Silent Era was the Start . Its an amazing story of Changing and Love . This is the magic of great a Silent movie, I always felt Silent movie has a thing where it feels like Magic . We are not hearing a thing with our ear but we can feel it in our heart & Believe me its a great feeling !!!!!Absolutely Amazing ! The Artist proves that no matter how Improved the film world is now but That Silent Era was the Start . Its an amazing story of Changing and Love . This is the magic of great a Silent movie, I always felt Silent movie has a thing where it feels like Magic . We are not hearing a thing with our ear but we can feel it in our heart & Believe me its a great feeling !!!!! Michel Hazanavicius did something amazing, What he did was very risky and he believed in his dream,And I respect him for that. It was a amazing Writing and Michel's Directing was Unbelievably Awesome . Jean Dujardinm di an great job and Probably one of the best acting in the 21st century.Bérénice Bejo did really good , She was very charming , Rest of the actors were amazing too & Uggie (the dog) should be given an Oscar for Supporting Actor !. Music score was (In one Word) Superb ! Dance scenes were so remarkable. it was Michel's dream to make a silent film and like him its my dream too and he directed the film so well and amazingly . Expand
  46. Mar 7, 2012
    This is a really great movie, the best of 2011, should have won more Oscars, minimum 7, for me is much better than Hugo, who has to win as 3 Oscars, and Harry Potter should have won 2, 3 or maybe 4 Oscars. There were many injustices in the Academy Awards this year.
  47. Mar 1, 2012
    Utterly charming and excellent in every way! I loved this film from beginning to end, and I fell in love with every character. The direction, acting, cinematography, music, scenery, and costumes were all superbly executed. Bravo! It was so refreshing to watch a movie that "focused" our attention on the subject matter on the screen, rather than trying to have a competition to see howUtterly charming and excellent in every way! I loved this film from beginning to end, and I fell in love with every character. The direction, acting, cinematography, music, scenery, and costumes were all superbly executed. Bravo! It was so refreshing to watch a movie that "focused" our attention on the subject matter on the screen, rather than trying to have a competition to see how many images they could flash by per second. A "10" is a rare rating to me, and The Artist deserves it with a "+" after it! Expand
  48. Feb 22, 2012
    I knew very little about this movie when I saw it. Just saw that a lot of critics liked it. Part way into it I was worried...when are they going to speak? By a quarter way through the movie I was so interested in the fact that they weren't speaking and I actually liked it. Half-way through the movie, I was so enthralled and 3/4 of the way I loved it. By the end of the movie, I was atI knew very little about this movie when I saw it. Just saw that a lot of critics liked it. Part way into it I was worried...when are they going to speak? By a quarter way through the movie I was so interested in the fact that they weren't speaking and I actually liked it. Half-way through the movie, I was so enthralled and 3/4 of the way I loved it. By the end of the movie, I was at the edge of my seat and what a fantastic job they did! See it! Expand
  49. Jan 16, 2012
    Beautiful, retro-modern and much deserving of the Golden Globe accolades it got. And Jean DeJardin he is a superstar! I hope Hollywood does not corrupt him and make him too commercial. This silent movie will be enjoyed by everyone, not just film buffs, although it is a Valentine to Hollywood

50. Dec 18, 2011
    "The Artist" is a very entertaining novelty perhaps a bit too overladen with cinematic references and metaphors to be completely captivating. More a marvel for the fact that it was made than for what it actually is. Over-rated by critics with some directorial missteps, but enjoyable. I would recommend watching the real movies of the 20's and 30's than this pastiche of cinematic cliches"The Artist" is a very entertaining novelty perhaps a bit too overladen with cinematic references and metaphors to be completely captivating. More a marvel for the fact that it was made than for what it actually is. Over-rated by critics with some directorial missteps, but enjoyable. I would recommend watching the real movies of the 20's and 30's than this pastiche of cinematic cliches and tropes. It might also help to know that 'beauty spot' is the British term for what we Americans call a 'beauty mark'...odd that language should fail in a silent film! Acting is superb in a 'we didn't need dialogue, we had faces' kind of way. This movie's silence loudest in that it has nothing new to say. Expand
  51. Feb 25, 2012
    I don't know if I agree with all of the main stream critics on this film, however, I read an interesting take on Oscar-nominated The Artist here: http://4thdimensionfilms.wordpress.com/
  52. Feb 1, 2012
    'The Artist' is a pretty daring film. It has appeared almost out of nowhere with a relatively unknown cast and director and has taken the world by storm... And did I mention it was a silent movie? It's already tipped to be the big winner at the Oscars after taking best picture at the Golden Globes earlier this year. But amidst all the hype, is it actually any good? And can it possibly be'The Artist' is a pretty daring film. It has appeared almost out of nowhere with a relatively unknown cast and director and has taken the world by storm... And did I mention it was a silent movie? It's already tipped to be the big winner at the Oscars after taking best picture at the Golden Globes earlier this year. But amidst all the hype, is it actually any good? And can it possibly be as good as everybody says? It turns out that it is. After a few viewings, the joy felt when watching 'The Artist' still remains. You find yourself sat watching the film with a big grin on your face that will last for most of it's running time.

Jean Dujardin plays George Valentin, the biggest movie star of the silent period. The film follows his success in the mid-20's and how it turns on him and his life with the introduction of talking pictures in 1929. That is the film in a nutshell. But really, it is about the nature of fame, ambition and the inevitable moments of reality that face everybody in life. Jean Dujardin is perfect in his role. He is smooth, charming, reflective and incredibly human without even saying a word. Rather than dialogue, his facial expressions do the talking and it's very easy to see why he has an Oscar nomination for this role. Watch for moments of subtle humanity beneath his celebrity exterior when he is preparing for his roles or in a beautiful scene towards the end of the picture which I won't spoil for you. All the other performances are predictably superb with Berenice Bejo and John Goodman supplying the charm expected in old silent movies.

Another reason the film is so captivating is in the attention to detail with all the technical aspects. Firstly, the film is presented in the aspect ratio all old movies were screened in, to not only capture the essence of the time but to put greater focus on the performances of the actors. It works. The audience will feel every bit of emotion in this film because of it. Additionally, the music is one of the best original soundtracks I've heard in a long time. The 80 plus minutes of music from this film is almost like a character itself; a scene can be viewed as serious or comedic just by the use of a few notes. A final factor worth noting is the cinematography, which makes this film look like it could have come from 1927. It is shot in beautiful black and white which gives the film an extra texture and depth that today's digitally shot coloured films cannot capture.

It is possible to write for days about 'The Artist' but all that needs to be said is how moving, beautiful, joyful and brilliant it is. For a film to come out as daring as 'The Artist' in 2012 and be only half decent is a good result. However, it does much more than that. It captures the essence of cinema itself with it's ability to entertain, surprise and engage audiences all over the world, myself included.

A Classic.
  53. Feb 15, 2012
    The starting is a bit boring, the story is not very original, but damn, this movie is GOOD, and funny as hell, with sad, exciting and touching parts too. Not the best film of the year, but still better than almost every other films.
  54. Feb 21, 2012
    Having watched this soon-to-be Oscar winner in the local cinema (after repeatedly brainwashed by its trailer in the multiplexes), indeed itâ
  55. Feb 20, 2012
    The Artist (2011): A modern silent film that attempts homage, borders on mimicry. Has trouble with individualism, charming and emotional nonetheless.
  56. Jan 14, 2012
    www.unsungfilms.com by Georgia Xanthopoulou

Opening Nights: Athens International Film Festival 2011, Pt. 1

The Highlights: â
  57. Mar 8, 2012
    Is silence golden?

Is silence golden?

It was one man's singular vision: to create a film in 2012 that reflects the look, style and charm evoked in the cinematic world of 1927. If successful, it would surely be the toast of the Academy. If not, it would be doomed to work the art-house circuit, garnering an apostolic fan base but only seeing the light of day for, ironically, an assortment of midnight screenings. Purists take note: director Michel Hazanavicius does take some liberties with the final product, but for a film that hardly utters a single word, the language of cinema oozes out of every scene with an all-ages charm that deserves every accolade it receives.

George Valentin (Jean Dujardin) is the world's biggest silent movie star. But with the groundbreaking introduction of 'talkies', it becomes increasingly apparent that this is a business for the young, and that he must change with the times to remain relevant. This is easier said than done for the vain Valentin, who has only ever known one way to make art, and he isn't about to give it up just because some Hollywood big-wig says so. The face of this new generation is Peppy Miller (Berenice Bejo), a former co-star of Valentin's who seems to keep showing up in his collapsing personal life.

Having to work without the help of the spoken word, Hazanavicius finds a myriad of other ways to tell his story. The occasional attention paid in Year Twelve English finally comes in handy, as the well-trained eye can spot visual motifs all over the place. The titles of movie posters in the background of most shots cleverly reflect and foreshadow the story, while a handful of Hamlet-esque films-within-films add depth and personality to the proceedings. Appropriately, though, music is the organic piece of storytelling, deftly enthralling, calming and bolstering audience sympathies whenever necessary, including a suspenseful climax made all the more engaging by some directorial slight-of-hand, in which the film takes advantage of its lack of diegetic sound to exploit the audience's perception of reality.

And yet, on top of its excellent appropriation of outdated techniques, The Artist has the benefit of being made in an era that does not restrict one's imagination. Filmmaking methods considered too sophisticated for their contextual time are used to great effect when the film demands a sudden change of pace, such as during moments of reflection or dream sequences. In a wholly recreated film, these scenes would look as out of place as a drum solo at a Ramones concert, but their inclusion brings a uniqueness and originality that was certainly not expected.

Overall, though, this is not a movie about technicalities. Nor is it a comedy, as so many people have hastened to classify it. It's a movie about heart, trying to tell of the rise and fall of a conflicted man struggling to find his place in a burgeoning new world. And where the medium of delivery might be unorthodox, the theme is certainly universal. Dujardin earns his Best Actor award with the creation of a painfully strong headed, yet sympathetic character, while the (quite literally) unspoken chemistry between our lead and Bejo is enough to make most modern actors extremely jealous.

The film might start off as a gimmick of sorts, introducing a sceptical audience to the marvels of ancient movie-making. Over time, the slow cuts, sped-up pacing and deliberate overacting do not so much 'wear off' as they do 'graciously step aside', allowing the plot and its drivers to take centre focus.

In a world where all films are immediately categorised as either 'indie' or 'blockbuster' well before their release, those who disliked The Artist might argue that it was the film's blatant reverence for the past that won it the top prize. Of course, this argument can only exist in its own vacuum, as a love of all things old seemed to be the theme of this year's Oscars, employed by many quality nominees, including personal favourite Hugo. But where Scorsese has crafted a tribute to one man's greatness carefully disguised as a children's film, The Artist is more of a character piece, with a theme so recognisable it could have been just as engaging if set today.

*There's nothing I love more than a bit of feedback, good or bad. So drop me a line on jnatsis@iprimus.com.au and let me know what you thought of my review. If you're looking for a writer for your movie website or other publication, I'd also love to hear from you.*
  58. Feb 21, 2012
    I thought that this film was a great throwback to an era that has become extinct. Both leads were endearing and intoxicating. I loved the score as well as the imagery. It is honestly one of the better films to come out of 2011. I don't think that it is a movie that I will watch again anytime soon, but as a novelty and memento I think it works great.
  59. Jan 29, 2012
    What a piece of art this is! I found myself smiling throughout the entire film. It became a permanent fixture on my face that wouldn't leave. Magical. Charming. Witty. Joyful. This movie will put you in a really good mood. Jean Dujardin and Berenice Bejo were outstanding. A silent film requires actors to convey a wide spectrum of emotions, and boy they sure did! It would be delightful forWhat a piece of art this is! I found myself smiling throughout the entire film. It became a permanent fixture on my face that wouldn't leave. Magical. Charming. Witty. Joyful. This movie will put you in a really good mood. Jean Dujardin and Berenice Bejo were outstanding. A silent film requires actors to convey a wide spectrum of emotions, and boy they sure did! It would be delightful for Dujardin to win Best Actor this year for his role. And to you Mr. Hazanavicius, thank you for your wonderful love letter to cinema! Expand
  60. Feb 10, 2012
    The artist is nearly two hour renaissance of silent movies. Michel Hazanavicius's movie is a complete opposite of other mainstream movies today - it's not everyday you get to see a silent movie at the theaters anymore. I have read many reviews, and some (a minority) say, that the facial expression, the mimics of the actors are overplayed and straight up bad. How can you not love JeanThe artist is nearly two hour renaissance of silent movies. Michel Hazanavicius's movie is a complete opposite of other mainstream movies today - it's not everyday you get to see a silent movie at the theaters anymore. I have read many reviews, and some (a minority) say, that the facial expression, the mimics of the actors are overplayed and straight up bad. How can you not love Jean Dujardin? His face is made for thirties-hollywood. To those who say this, I say this: **** commented such on talking movies: "The essential of theater films is the visual. Letting actors talk, will take a way the words of the pictures". Also Charles Spencer Chaplin was worried that talking would take away a very aspect of movies. The artist is a fantastic example of speaking pictures. In a today filled with movies of mainstreams, a direct opposite was, perhaps a dangerous project. But no gain without risk. This movie is absolutely amazing, and I strongly advice everyone to go see it. Expand
  61. Sep 22, 2012
    In the era of 3D comes a film that does not even have colour, the relative unknown cast is silent and the plot is nothing short of uninspiring. However, it is full of emotions (hence colour), very expressive actors (hence not silent) and a direction that is so spot that the result is is genuinely surprising (hence not uninspiring).
  62. Feb 17, 2013
    I found this film a breath of fresh air; it took me back to Saturday morning TV when they used to show the odd silent movie. A simple love story with some great acting and a brilliant musical score really hit the mark. I did find, though, that George’s decline went on a little too long, just when you thought he’d hit bottom there was a little further to go. But that’s the only criticism II found this film a breath of fresh air; it took me back to Saturday morning TV when they used to show the odd silent movie. A simple love story with some great acting and a brilliant musical score really hit the mark. I did find, though, that George’s decline went on a little too long, just when you thought he’d hit bottom there was a little further to go. But that’s the only criticism I have, it’s beautifully made in the style of the time and, although it may not be for everyone. A marginally lower score this time around; I guess it didn’t quite have the same impact it did on the big screen… Still well worth a look though!

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED My score: 8.4/10.
  63. Nov 26, 2012
    It grows on you. You watch because it won all those awards but a half hour in you actually start caring. And let's be honest: we all love movies about alcoholism It grows on you.
  64. Apr 1, 2012
    Academy movie, well it's great movie in any aspect but maybe 21st century never experience silent and black and white movies. But I think maybe it could better,like one Chalkzone episode.
  65. Mar 31, 2013
    A beautiful film in many ways. Even though completely black and white and (mostly) without sound, it is as affecting as any other film, relying on the performances and story. Jean Dujardin is quite magical in the central role as are the whole main cast. The ending was ruined by my local cinema's ineptitude, but thank God for youtube! A heartwarming nostalgic film.
  66. May 9, 2012
    Gee, I assumed there was a certain gimmick-level, (for a B/W silent film in this era, there would have to be) but in no way does this hinder the fun. . What I found was mostly brilliantly art-directed and photographed... in a true tribute sense.... all the costumes, cars, sets, makeup, were wonderfully accurate. The story would have to be a bit simple without speaking and few text-boards,Gee, I assumed there was a certain gimmick-level, (for a B/W silent film in this era, there would have to be) but in no way does this hinder the fun. . What I found was mostly brilliantly art-directed and photographed... in a true tribute sense.... all the costumes, cars, sets, makeup, were wonderfully accurate. The story would have to be a bit simple without speaking and few text-boards, but that did not diminish the fun or beauty for me. It is a tad long in the middle, but there is great payoff and follow-thru. It's a great artistic accomplishment, very imaginative, with admittedly, a so-so story. But that's good enough! Expand
  67. May 25, 2012
    This movie deserves all the awards they had received because this is an amazing film. I thought black and white films are not effective anymore in the 21st Century, I was wrong..............
  68. Jul 25, 2012
    Even when you ignore the astounding fact that The Artist is a silent film that has made a real impact on audiences in the modern world, the film is a good old-fashioned, incredibly sweet love story, and also an insightful comment on a key point in film history - the point where the modern idea of filmmaking was born, where the industry and the art form changed forever with the invention ofEven when you ignore the astounding fact that The Artist is a silent film that has made a real impact on audiences in the modern world, the film is a good old-fashioned, incredibly sweet love story, and also an insightful comment on a key point in film history - the point where the modern idea of filmmaking was born, where the industry and the art form changed forever with the invention of synchronised sound. The casting is great - Jean Dujardin's Best Actor Oscar was undeniably well-deserved, and he fits the part of George Valentin, a washed-up silent film star perfectly, and embodies the showmanship-dependent acting style of the period. Berenice Bejo is captivating as Peppy Miller, an actress whose star is rapidly on the rise, and has the classical poise and beauty of a 30s film actress. James Cromwell also leaves his mark, playing the most pivotal and sympathetic of the film's supporting roles, that of Valentin's loyal valet Clifton. It is true what you've heard, however, Uggie the dog threatens to steal the show from his bipedal fellow cast members - he is an obscenely talented and transfixing little canine. The film is a breath of fresh air not only in the way it appropriates a long out-dated aesthetic and musical style and lack of synchronised sound, but also in the way in which writer/director Michel Hazanavicius experiments with mainstream film conventions and keeps the divide between the film world and the real world playfully permeable (most amusingly in one scene, Valentin discovers his studio has pledged to only produce talkies from then on, he has a nightmare which is accompanied by synchronised sound, though he himself remains mute - a clever comment on silent film actors failing to make the transition to talkies). It's a film that warmly pays tribute to silent cinema, but which also uses modern moviemaking techniques and has a definite sense of post-modern self-awareness, resulting in an incredibly satisfying, layered viewing experience. The Artist is creatively refreshing, engaging and well-performed, funny and endearing, a real feel-good movie, and will hopefully drive filmmakers to take more risks with their projects in the next few years. Expand
  69. Jul 4, 2012
    Tremendous bravery to do a black/white, and a silent movie in 21st century, in bluray.
    Innovative, inspirational, and mind-tickling, which are what this world needs most.
    Though the score is not fully matching to my standard, and the plotting can be better, can be more dramatic to the lead, especially the ending of his part. But nonetheless, good enough to score a 9/10.
  70. Feb 19, 2012
    It was a great movie - but actually, nothing really special about screenplay or storyline. I loved Berenice Bejo and Jean Dujardin's performances. I also loved music by Ludovic Bource, and great direction by Michel Hazanavicius. Overall, I think I really enjoyed watching this film. And it will definitely win the Best Picture Oscar at the Academy Awards. (Also, I think it will win BestIt was a great movie - but actually, nothing really special about screenplay or storyline. I loved Berenice Bejo and Jean Dujardin's performances. I also loved music by Ludovic Bource, and great direction by Michel Hazanavicius. Overall, I think I really enjoyed watching this film. And it will definitely win the Best Picture Oscar at the Academy Awards. (Also, I think it will win Best Director, Best Actor and Best Original Music.) Expand
  71. Mar 3, 2012
    Loveable, charming and thoroughly entertaining. As someone who generally only watches new films, a black & white silent film didn't sound particularly appealing, my curiosity led me to contradict my initial instinct. I'm so glad I went to see this film. Definitely worth the hype!
  72. Mar 17, 2012
    This film was incredibly well made, but I found myself disappointed in the lack of risk it took. Instead of being something completely original, the film relies on a derivative plot line that feels over done in the cinematic world. Besides this Jean Dujardin and Berenice Bejo both deliver spot on performances that deserve recognition.
  73. Sep 3, 2014
    To have a film made in the modern era be silent, black-and-white and as simple as it is--and, still grab our every interest--is an unmatched feat. The Artist is in a class of its own.
  74. Jun 11, 2013
    This is such a splendid little film and a rare piece of fantastic film making. It delivered everything wonderful a movie can offer and more, and yet it was silent. This is a movie to cherish.
  75. Mar 2, 2013
    I sat down to watch The Artist with a certain degree of apprehension, it was the first black and white or silent film I have ever really watched. Sadly these factors put off Mrs Media Worm so I watched it solo.

The Artist is like no other film I have seen (stating the obvious) before, in the same way I often lean towards black and white photography, I found the lack of colour enhanced the film's stylish presentation. After a short time I forgot I was watching a film with no dialogue, and enjoyably so. Ludovic Bource's score sublimely supports the cast, with necessary dialogue provided by the occasional old fashioned dialogue intertitles. Before seeing the film, I'll be honest, I was sceptical of the film's hype, especially seeing actors unknown to a wide audience wining awards for Best Actor, but Jean Dujardin's performance as the proud, egocentric star George Valentin is as wonderful as I have seen lately. Dujardin seems built for silent film where expressions count for so much, ironic given the film's story. The contrast between his over-acted performances as the silent film actor and his toned down but still expression led performance as an actor in what is a silent film is subtle but fascinating. Berenice Bejo is just as rapturous as Peppy Miller and together the two are enchanting. Considering the film is French, I was surprised by the faces that popped up amongst the supporting cast, notably John Goodman, Malcom McDowell and James Cromwell. Credit must also go to Uggie the dog, probably now the most famous on screen canine since Snowy.

Academy Award Best Director Michel Hazanavicius includes some stylish shots, my favourite being the shot of George and Peppy talking on the stairway of the Bradway Building while extras busily move around them on all levels at a seemingly faster speed.

The film's plot is actually a sombre, simple little romance story where very little actually happens but what does transpire does so leisurely, at an easy going pace, as befits the time.
  76. Mar 30, 2012
    this silent movie is great. it made me cry 3 times.it is my favorite movie of all time. the actors did great. i loved the dog. it was so cute. i loved every single part of it. i did not know if i was going to like i t because it was a silent movie. but i loved it.
  77. Apr 8, 2012
    Good but extremely overrated. Don't see why this one best picture and best actor at the Oscars, must be because old people do most of the voting. Don't get me wrong, this movie is very well made and well acted and everything, it's just overhyped and nothing spectacular is all. Still a good movie, nothing too deep or superb though.
  78. Apr 29, 2012
    Amazing film. I was worried about going to see a silent film but wow, what an experience, what a great film. Highly recommended to everyone, specially in theaters!
  79. May 17, 2012
    I know of only one real try at making a silent movie since the genre died of natural death in the thirties; that was the Mel Brooks 1976 parody 'Silent Movie'. I did not go to see that film and don't plan to. While technically not a real silent movie, 'The Artist' is as close as you'll ever come to it; it has an actual soundtrack which is almost exclusively music with very few soundI know of only one real try at making a silent movie since the genre died of natural death in the thirties; that was the Mel Brooks 1976 parody 'Silent Movie'. I did not go to see that film and don't plan to. While technically not a real silent movie, 'The Artist' is as close as you'll ever come to it; it has an actual soundtrack which is almost exclusively music with very few sound effects and, like Brooks' film, only one word is spoken, hence, it can't be called a silent movie.

If it had not fared so well at all my usual sources and all the unusual ones as well, I doubt I would have bothered watching it; heyâ
  80. Jul 24, 2012
    An original movie which was successful, for this to happen in the united states out of all places the movie must be pretty damn good. It may be a silent movie but even with that fact it tells the story better and is more entertaining than many talking movies. Great movie, worth watching.
  81. Aug 16, 2012
    While I won't be running out to revisit silent movie any time soon, this movie was extremely effective for a variety of reasons. In a big budget in your face movie world, this is the antithesis of that, and I think that can be very refreshing for movie goers even if it isn't something they would want all the time. This movie is also wonderfully acted and looks amazing. The premise isWhile I won't be running out to revisit silent movie any time soon, this movie was extremely effective for a variety of reasons. In a big budget in your face movie world, this is the antithesis of that, and I think that can be very refreshing for movie goers even if it isn't something they would want all the time. This movie is also wonderfully acted and looks amazing. The premise is absolutely brilliant if your going to make this type of film. This is the kind of once in a lifetime movie that you will always remember. Expand
  82. Aug 18, 2012
    If you didn't know this film was made in 2011 you wouldn't be able to tell. It's made with such a loving attention to detail: filmed in B&W in 1,37:1 format at 22 fps, the sets, the costumes, the acting and dancing all look very authentic. It's actually the proof that you CAN make a film as good as those classics from the old days in this day and age. You can even call it a modern dayIf you didn't know this film was made in 2011 you wouldn't be able to tell. It's made with such a loving attention to detail: filmed in B&W in 1,37:1 format at 22 fps, the sets, the costumes, the acting and dancing all look very authentic. It's actually the proof that you CAN make a film as good as those classics from the old days in this day and age. You can even call it a modern day 'Sunset Boulevard' in a way. Expand
  83. Jun 28, 2012
    I was skeptical of the gimmicky nature of The Artist as a silent picture, but it only took minutes for the format to feel natural. There are amazingly few cuts to show dialogue and much of the story is revealed without ever knowing exactly what was spoken. The plot is simple, but the characters show surprising depth. I did not find myself enamored with the performance of the dog, butI was skeptical of the gimmicky nature of The Artist as a silent picture, but it only took minutes for the format to feel natural. There are amazingly few cuts to show dialogue and much of the story is revealed without ever knowing exactly what was spoken. The plot is simple, but the characters show surprising depth. I did not find myself enamored with the performance of the dog, but neither did it detract from my enjoyment of the movie as a whole. Expand
  84. Jul 9, 2012
    Director Michel Hazanavicius takes you into this beautifully crafted, true to the time era, silent film. The Artist is shot in black and white with an 1.33:1 aspect ratio, so that it seems like you
  85. Aug 1, 2013
    Despite the fact that The Artist was quite masterfully directed (and certainly deserving of the academy award for best director) as a film it was good but not amazing. For what it is, a silent film, The Artist is very well done. However due to the lack of sound it's difficult to judge the quality of the acting and it is also difficult to become truly attached to any of the characters.Despite the fact that The Artist was quite masterfully directed (and certainly deserving of the academy award for best director) as a film it was good but not amazing. For what it is, a silent film, The Artist is very well done. However due to the lack of sound it's difficult to judge the quality of the acting and it is also difficult to become truly attached to any of the characters. Deserving of praise: yes, deserving of Best Director: arguably yes, deserving of Best Picture: no way. Expand
  86. Nov 11, 2012
    A bodacious movie. Michel Hazanivicius reliazed his idea of a silent movie very well and has got a couple of talented actors, that make it fun to watch. I wouldn't say Jean Dujardin deserved an Oscar, but he played really nice. Okay, the story is simple, perhaps even too simple, but it's a wonderful hommage to the early films. Romance, comedy and drama are mixed so that The Artist doesn'tA bodacious movie. Michel Hazanivicius reliazed his idea of a silent movie very well and has got a couple of talented actors, that make it fun to watch. I wouldn't say Jean Dujardin deserved an Oscar, but he played really nice. Okay, the story is simple, perhaps even too simple, but it's a wonderful hommage to the early films. Romance, comedy and drama are mixed so that The Artist doesn't really get boring, though it could've been about 15 minutes shorter. It's definitely not the best silent movie of all time and it didn't deserve the Oscar in my view, but I really enjoyed watching it. Go and watch this, it's something so different from the usual films nowadays! Expand
  87. Jul 31, 2012
    The Artist is the best movie I've seen in a long time. The movies leads give perfect performances. ( So does the dog.) What's surprising is that the movie never feels slow. You'll forget your watching a silent film. What this movie lacks in color and sound it makes up 10x with heart and pure entertainment.
  88. Sep 18, 2012
    I wish metacritic could also give us the standard divination of user scores, not just the average. Viewers seems pretty polarized. It's old style; warm and gentle. Although I put it 8 out of 10, I understand why people used to the fast pace action movie won't enjoy it. I watched in on Vudu. I like it, but $3.99 is a bit pricing. Hope more artistic movies will be on subscription service.I wish metacritic could also give us the standard divination of user scores, not just the average. Viewers seems pretty polarized. It's old style; warm and gentle. Although I put it 8 out of 10, I understand why people used to the fast pace action movie won't enjoy it. I watched in on Vudu. I like it, but $3.99 is a bit pricing. Hope more artistic movies will be on subscription service. http://www.filmgopher.com/Movie.aspx?id=tt1655442 Expand
  89. Jan 6, 2014
    A magia do cinema mudo, contada através de um dos filmes mais contagiantes de seu tempo
  90. Aug 5, 2013
    The Artist 8/10.......................................................................................................................................
  91. Nov 28, 2012
    Featuring two magnificent lead performances, "The Artist" is a friendly, funny, and gratifying film that acts as an appropriate tribute to silent cinema.
  92. Dec 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wonderful! The reason this film was my favorite of 2011 is because not only is it a brilliant tribute to classic silent cinema, but it's also fully aware that it's a modern film. For example, there's a dream sequence that creatively incorporates sound in a manner that fits into the conflict of the story. Also, the ending was so brilliant; many people don't like that the film did what it did at the end, but I thought it was absolutely necessary. Dujardin and Bejo are great, the music is great, the dancing is great, the story is great. All-in-all, just a wonderful film that completely deserved Best Picture in my opinion. Expand
  93. Jan 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "The Artist" pays tribute to classical techniques while subtly appealing to 21st century viewers. A viewer must anticipate predictable 20th century cinematography. The viewer must also realize that this film plays upon a romantic theme (that is rarely found today) about an ARTIST'S authentic quest for greatness and the consequent martyr as a result of pride. Expand
  94. Feb 28, 2013
    Love the movie. You should watch this, this is one of the best movies i have ever seen. Enven though until the last minutes of the movie, the first voice was spoken, but the whole movies are still good. It fill with love and some other thing
  95. MHD
    Mar 29, 2013
    The Best Picture of 2011 And For Me The Best Picture Ever A Direction Acting Story Idea It's A Perfrfect Movie. A great Rmantic Story with A little Comedy. Just So Magical
  96. Apr 14, 2013
    The fact that this movie won Best Film was just the proof of how magic cinema is by proving even a silent film could win the most prestigious award a movie could achieve.
  97. Jul 15, 2013
    el cine mudo dejo mucha huella positiva tanto como esta pelicula tal vez puede pasar algo asi en la vida real si ya no ha pasado un Film de lo importante de epocas anteriores con muy buenas actuaciones
  98. Sep 11, 2013
    The first word that popped into my head when I finished watching The Artist, was "Perfect".

Everything about this film was so well done, so expertly crafted, that it should be used as a model for students looking to write, direct, act, etc in the film industry.

Definitely ranks in my top five movies of all time.

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Jan 20, 2012
    If nothing else, this is a cinematic high-wire act.
  2. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Dec 28, 2011
    Hazanavicius isn't just making a "silent movie," he is attempting to enter a time warp and craft something that would fool all but the most studious and scholarly into believing it could have been a lost film from a bygone era. If his tongue is sometimes a little in his cheek, that's all part of the fun.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Dec 22, 2011
    May be too cute to qualify as high art, but it's highly entertaining.