7.9

1. Feb 14, 2012
    I was wondering the effectiveness of this movie. I mean, a black and white film in 2011? Robbing all the Golden Globes and SAG Awards? Something must be **** up, I thought. I was terribly wrong. "The Artist" is possibly one of the greatest films ever created in the 21st century. It's almost flawless; the actors are downright perfect and the script is just **** optimistic and a poignant reminder of those old no-sound movies. It made me laugh and cry, and I don't do those stuff very often. I believe this deserves the best picture Oscar. Expand
  2. Nov 23, 2011
    I love a good silent movie. No need for words when the story is that good..........

Felt quite emotional watching this trailer. There are several clever, even brilliant moments in the film. The power of music is phenomenal. I wish the movie could got a nomination for Best Picture in OSCAR.......
  3. Jan 28, 2012
    What a great movie to watch. It had everything that makes a movie viewing experience magical. It was funny, charming, sweet, romantic, sad and enjoyable. Jean Dujardin and Berenice Bejo performed wonderfully and is directed, written and edited perfectly. Going to be in my top 3 for sure. Amazing.
  4. Nov 26, 2011
    What an amazing film. I knew Jean Dujardin would bring talent to the table based on his comic turns in the OSS movies - and he does a great job. But Berenice Bejo is the real find here, though. She lights up the screen like nobody I've seen since Elena Anaya in Sex & Lucia. (Or maybe Paz Vega in Spanglish - yes, that was a good movie!) It's a classic Hollywood film that shouldn't be missed.
  5. Nov 30, 2011
    SIMPLY....IT'S AN EXCELLENT MOVIE....it's dedicated for love movies .....the movie remains movies like sunset boulevard, the thin man and chaplin movies...
  6. Jan 22, 2012
    This was a really entertaining movie. It really drew on the art of the silent movies with a breezy story. And who doesn't like Uggie the dog?
  7. Nov 26, 2011
    I first saw this trailer makes me amazed.
    This will be the preferred film and loved by many people.
    Acting from Jean Dujardin and Berenice Bejo also Uggy the dog is very impressive and memorable way.
    Dujardin won the Cannes Film Festival's Best Actor Award for his performance.
  8. Feb 26, 2012
    The Artist is cheery, charming and beautifully made. With amazingly charming performances from Berenice Bejo and Jean Dujardin who provide all the charm and the most moving moments seen in film in years. I give this film 100% of a good movie.
  9. Jan 11, 2012
    George Valentin (Jean Dujardin) has a dream halfway through The Artist with real sound. He sets a glass down on the table and it makes a noise. The phone rings, the dog barks, and it all sounds so harsh and shrill. Both George and the audience wait for George to wake up and end these horrible noises. Please, take us back to the wonderful world of silent film in black and white whose only sound is the soothing cinematic orchestral score. Yes, The Artist is silent. The actors are moving their mouths but only every now and then does a dialogue screen pop up for the audience to read. The effect of this throwback is a mesmerizing masterpiece. Just as Hugo was homage to the earliest films and George Melies, The Artist celebrates the late 1920s silent film era and appears so accurate it most likely could have been released in 1927. The giveaway is that everybody in the movie theater on screen is smoking. Nobody in Hugo Expand
  10. Dec 27, 2011
    What a charming film! I saw it at the Toronto International Film Festival and at the end of the film, everyone gave a standing ovation to the film and its director and cast. This film put a smile on my face. The story is intelligent -- a black and white silent film that tells the story of a silent film movie star who doesn't believe in talking pictures. This film is an Oscar best picture with best actor and actress. (I have noticed that many different awards consider Bérénice Bejo a supporting actress! That's wrong in my opinion. Her character and performance is absolutely a lead performance.) Her star power shouldn't affect the category of the performance. Expand
  11. Jan 4, 2012
    While one can certainly not like a movie for many reasons, not liking it because it is an artfully made homage to and about black and white silent films is, at the very least, immature. Critics love this movie because, in general, movie critics love movies and the history of the art form. Much like Hugo, The Artist has a soft spot for the silent film era. This movie is beautiful and well shot, using modern techniques and cinematography to replicate old style silent movies. It is true that one needs more of an attention span to appreciate a movie like this. It is also valid to suggest that much of the plot is nothing groundbreakingly new. But there are so many truly bad, and quite frankly mind numbingly stupid, movies released for mass consumption in the U.S. that it is refreshing to see someone try something different, novel and inspired. Expand
  12. Jan 3, 2012
    The Artist will stand as one of the best films throughout this decade. Jean Dujardin is incredible (I think should easily win Best Actor @ the Oscars), along with Bérénice Bejo's performance as the adorable Peppy Miller. I advise that YOU do NOT watch the trailer prior to seeing this film. Basically, nearly all of the story is told through the trailer, along with ruining, not necessarily, okay ruining, the best scenes. (Soapbox moment) ... Why do American trailers ruin films? Drive, The Artist, Hugo...STOP! ... See the Artist! Expand
  13. Jan 13, 2012
    Did not think I would like a silent movie but I loved this one. Now I know what the great movies must have been like in the 20's! The music and expressions were all that is needed to get the message across. It's black and white, and that also added to the movie.
  14. Jan 12, 2012
    Being younger and not thinking this type of film would work in my time, I thought this film was AMAZING!!!! I loved the characters played by Jean and Berenice; there was literally almost nothing I can find that is wrong with this film. Now the hard part for me is deciding whether this or "Tree of Life" should win Best Picture in the Oscar race.
  15. Apr 8, 2012
    I too question if a silent film would be able to hold up in days where action films rule and it suprisingly does. I really enjoyed The Artist and I would highly recommend it.
  16. Jan 22, 2012
    With the advent of the talkies in Hollywood, the career of a silent film star declines, as a cute young starlet is on the rise. In keeping with the period, it's in 1.33:1 ratio black and white with a musical accompaniment. There are title cards to explain some of the dialogue (they're on screen much faster than in the 30s). Besides all these devices, the simple story proves engaging, the actors are appealing and the director has added some clever flourishes to freshen it up. This is not an important film, as much as a sweet and charming homage. Expand
  17. Jan 27, 2012
    It was a piece of art in itself. Fantastic job and well made. I was not sure what to expect going into the theater, but while I was watching it, I felt like I was an audience member from the 20s! "The Artist" was spectacular and utterly surprised me. I did not expect to understand everything that was happening in the movie and yet I did. One can tell the Director and his co-workers did research on the average person. Bravo. I would like to see more silent movies in theaters. As I always like to say, "The Old is the new New!" Collapse
  18. Jan 4, 2012
    'The Artist' is unlike anything you have ever seen. It is meticulously crafted and edited to present an often surreal experience, but a consistently sweet and engaging one. About a quarter of the way through the film you'll be hooked, forgetting that it has no dialog at all. The music will lull you into the story and the subtle nuances of the acting will slide right by you, felling simply appropriate. There is a dream sequence (all I'll say) that is beyond brilliant. The film ends in a wonderful climax that will leave you entranced. Expand
  19. Nov 26, 2011
    One of the best film of the year! It is brilliant, original, funny, and the actors (Jean Dujardin and Bérénice Bejo) are very talented. There are great musics too. It feels good to see something different for once.
    I have only one thing left to say : GO SEE IT! :)
  20. Dec 12, 2011
    Please don't see this movie. I've seen it twice and need to see it again. Wait until after it wins the Oscar when you'll feel embarrassed for not having believed all the reviews.
  21. Jan 15, 2012
    Amazing film, I went to see it without reading any reviews or hype and really enjoyed it. It's an absolute master piece and it made me cry, laugh and feel very entertained through out. Beautiful acting deserving of oscars. Get to the cinema now! ! : )
  22. Jan 28, 2012
    This is a beautifully told story taking the best elements of both modern and classical films. Though it will surely come across as a fairly good movie to most movie-goers, those who truely understand the artistic elements behind it will be blown away by its incredible depth. From realizing the subtle things, such as a pillar in the center of a camera shot showing seperation between two people, one can understand the true beauty of this film. Of course, the story is nothing to laugh at, either. It's a wonderful story, and it is well told. However, it is a bit predictable and does not attach you to the characters as much as it could. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a bad story. I'm simply saying that I think it had the potential to do more. While it is a wonderful movie, and I think is seen as such by the average moviegoer as well, I still wish it were more accessible to those who could not understand all its subtleties. This is its greatest shortcoming; this movie was mostly made for people who can understand all the subtle intricacies of films. For this reason, I would say that if you are of average understanding of film, this is a great movie to see and I would definitely suggest it. However, if you are able to understand things beyond the surface in a film, then this movie is, without a doubt, a must-see. Expand
  23. Jan 29, 2012
    This was a very enjoyable film. Clever, fun, well-cast, with great twists and turns. Bérénice Bejo was fantastic, such a vibrant woman, so authentic. The dog was superb, and although the film did drag in places, all-in-all it was great fun.
  24. Lyn
    Feb 5, 2012
    What a fun and creative film. Lead actor is brilliant, lead actress utterly charming, and it's interesting how the lack of sound makes you attend extra closely to every facial crease and raised eyebrow. This movie gives you a happiness hangover.
  25. Jan 28, 2012
    Brilliant. You've heard it's a silent film and you wonder how could it be so great, why are so many people raving about it. Well it really is pure genius, a glorious work of art. The two leads - Jean Dujardin and Berenice Bejo - are superb and the dog deserves an Oscar. It's obvious why Dujardin won the Cannes Best Actor Award. Bravo.
  26. Mar 5, 2012
    What??? How could this have a 7.9? This movie AT LEAST deserves an 8.5. Yes, the movie was full of cliches, but it was executed SO WELL! How could you do this to me?
  27. Feb 29, 2012
    A lovely film, driven by her killer soundtrack, a masterful interpretations and the sentimentality that surrounds you all the nice time when you are looking at.
  28. Feb 19, 2012
    I like commercial movies, not artsy movies. So I was skeptical about this one. But boy, did it win me over. Not sure how this movie even got made, but I'm glad it did. Maybe not for everyone, but this movie's casting a far bigger net than I'd ever of thought. Kudos to everyone involved.
  29. Feb 24, 2012
    Speechless... is one word to describe thiz movie. It has been proven that you do not need expensive Actors or famous Director to make a terrific movie. The movie is presented like an old time silent movie, it is black and white, almost no conversation and even was shot in the 1.33 : 1 aspect ratio. It takes place in 1927, when George Valentin (Jean Dujardin) was the king of silent movies. An unexpected encounter with the young and lovely rising star Peppy Miller (Bérénice Bejo) takes him to the mutual delight adventure in film industry. Every Actor plays its role perfectly, main or supporting. Jean Dujardin performs a superb and flawless acting. His charisma is unquestionable central element. He got the eye gaze, the eyebrow raised, the eyelash flutter, the dancing, everything that knocks down the game entirely. His opposite love interest, Bérénice Bejo creates an equal presence. Maybe she is not the most gorgeous blonde girl figures, but she is positively charming in every way. Other roles which are played by John Goodman, Penelope Ann Miller and James Cromwell as a loyal butler and even the dog are proportionally fit as they need to be. The plot is perfectly told. Although it is a black and white silent movie, every minute you spend it does not make you bore at all. The selection of Musical Scores is vital. Music is the life of thiz movie. It flows up and down dynamically during the mood changing in every scene. The man behind the curtain is Michel Hazanavicius, the under radar and unknown Director takes the risk to do something completely different and it seems to be perfectly pay off. I have to say that the conflict issue is brilliant! It is a solid winning theme. If you are an Actor or someone who has been involved in thiz industry, you will surely appreciate the message behind thiz movie. It is a Golden Gate that bridging the intergenerational gap. Silence is Golden, my friend!

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE: http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  30. Mar 2, 2012
    This is a genuinely impressive movie that doesn't use its nature as a silent film as a gimmick but instead a way to enhance the film. Facial expressions, body language, these are still excellent ways of telling a story and it is nice to watch a movie where the audience isn't spoonfed every detail. It has a simple, predictable plot in keeping with the films of its era and yet I still found it involving and engaging. This could be attributed to the great performances of the cast or the fact that this is a movie with real heart. Expand
  31. Jan 27, 2012
    How good is The Artist?? W-O-W!!!! SOOOOO worthy of all the buzz!! What an amazing tribute to motion pictures! Definitely the "must-see" picture of the year. Brilliantly creative and thoroughly entertaining from start-to-finish. Had my doubts if this needed to be seen on the 'big screen" or not.... and the answer is a resounding YES!!!! Its been a long time since I sat with a movie audience that all applauded a film at the end. Just in case there is any doubt,.... this one earns an A+. Expand
  32. May 25, 2012
    This movie deserves all the awards they had received because this is an amazing film. I thought black and white films are not effective anymore in the 21st Century, I was wrong..............
  33. Jul 25, 2012
    Even when you ignore the astounding fact that The Artist is a silent film that has made a real impact on audiences in the modern world, the film is a good old-fashioned, incredibly sweet love story, and also an insightful comment on a key point in film history - the point where the modern idea of filmmaking was born, where the industry and the art form changed forever with the invention of synchronised sound. The casting is great - Jean Dujardin's Best Actor Oscar was undeniably well-deserved, and he fits the part of George Valentin, a washed-up silent film star perfectly, and embodies the showmanship-dependent acting style of the period. Berenice Bejo is captivating as Peppy Miller, an actress whose star is rapidly on the rise, and has the classical poise and beauty of a 30s film actress. James Cromwell also leaves his mark, playing the most pivotal and sympathetic of the film's supporting roles, that of Valentin's loyal valet Clifton. It is true what you've heard, however, Uggie the dog threatens to steal the show from his bipedal fellow cast members - he is an obscenely talented and transfixing little canine. The film is a breath of fresh air not only in the way it appropriates a long out-dated aesthetic and musical style and lack of synchronised sound, but also in the way in which writer/director Michel Hazanavicius experiments with mainstream film conventions and keeps the divide between the film world and the real world playfully permeable (most amusingly in one scene, Valentin discovers his studio has pledged to only produce talkies from then on, he has a nightmare which is accompanied by synchronised sound, though he himself remains mute - a clever comment on silent film actors failing to make the transition to talkies). It's a film that warmly pays tribute to silent cinema, but which also uses modern moviemaking techniques and has a definite sense of post-modern self-awareness, resulting in an incredibly satisfying, layered viewing experience. The Artist is creatively refreshing, engaging and well-performed, funny and endearing, a real feel-good movie, and will hopefully drive filmmakers to take more risks with their projects in the next few years. Expand
  34. j30
    Feb 19, 2012
    The Artist, making a statement about art and the film industry without saying a word. I had my doubts going into the film. but came out of the theater very impressed. Definitely one of the best pictures of the year. How could you not fall in love with this underdog of a movie?
  35. Mar 2, 2012
    The Artist was entertaining, which is incredibly surprising. It may have been a gimmick according to some but forgetting the hype, it is a well-made, well put together movie with great performances.
  36. Feb 22, 2012
    Absolutely Amazing ! The Artist proves that no matter how Improved the film world is now but That Silent Era was the Start . Its an amazing story of Changing and Love . This is the magic of great a Silent movie, I always felt Silent movie has a thing where it feels like Magic . We are not hearing a thing with our ear but we can feel it in our heart & Believe me its a great feeling !!!!! Michel Hazanavicius did something amazing, What he did was very risky and he believed in his dream,And I respect him for that. It was a amazing Writing and Michel's Directing was Unbelievably Awesome . Jean Dujardinm di an great job and Probably one of the best acting in the 21st century.Bérénice Bejo did really good , She was very charming , Rest of the actors were amazing too & Uggie (the dog) should be given an Oscar for Supporting Actor !. Music score was (In one Word) Superb ! Dance scenes were so remarkable. it was Michel's dream to make a silent film and like him its my dream too and he directed the film so well and amazingly . Expand
  37. Mar 7, 2012
    This is a really great movie, the best of 2011, should have won more Oscars, minimum 7, for me is much better than Hugo, who has to win as 3 Oscars, and Harry Potter should have won 2, 3 or maybe 4 Oscars. There were many injustices in the Academy Awards this year.
  38. Mar 1, 2012
    Utterly charming and excellent in every way! I loved this film from beginning to end, and I fell in love with every character. The direction, acting, cinematography, music, scenery, and costumes were all superbly executed. Bravo! It was so refreshing to watch a movie that "focused" our attention on the subject matter on the screen, rather than trying to have a competition to see how many images they could flash by per second. A "10" is a rare rating to me, and The Artist deserves it with a "+" after it! Expand
  39. Jul 4, 2012
    Tremendous bravery to do a black/white, and a silent movie in 21st century, in bluray.
    Innovative, inspirational, and mind-tickling, which are what this world needs most.
    Though the score is not fully matching to my standard, and the plotting can be better, can be more dramatic to the lead, especially the ending of his part. But nonetheless, good enough to score a 9/10.
  40. Feb 22, 2012
    I knew very little about this movie when I saw it. Just saw that a lot of critics liked it. Part way into it I was worried...when are they going to speak? By a quarter way through the movie I was so interested in the fact that they weren't speaking and I actually liked it. Half-way through the movie, I was so enthralled and 3/4 of the way I loved it. By the end of the movie, I was at the edge of my seat and what a fantastic job they did! See it! Expand
  41. Jan 16, 2012
    Beautiful, retro-modern and much deserving of the Golden Globe accolades it got. And Jean DeJardin he is a superstar! I hope Hollywood does not corrupt him and make him too commercial. This silent movie will be enjoyed by everyone, not just film buffs, although it is a Valentine to Hollywood

42. Feb 1, 2012
    'The Artist' is a pretty daring film. It has appeared almost out of nowhere with a relatively unknown cast and director and has taken the world by storm... And did I mention it was a silent movie? It's already tipped to be the big winner at the Oscars after taking best picture at the Golden Globes earlier this year. But amidst all the hype, is it actually any good? And can it possibly be as good as everybody says? It turns out that it is. After a few viewings, the joy felt when watching 'The Artist' still remains. You find yourself sat watching the film with a big grin on your face that will last for most of it's running time.

Jean Dujardin plays George Valentin, the biggest movie star of the silent period. The film follows his success in the mid-20's and how it turns on him and his life with the introduction of talking pictures in 1929. That is the film in a nutshell. But really, it is about the nature of fame, ambition and the inevitable moments of reality that face everybody in life. Jean Dujardin is perfect in his role. He is smooth, charming, reflective and incredibly human without even saying a word. Rather than dialogue, his facial expressions do the talking and it's very easy to see why he has an Oscar nomination for this role. Watch for moments of subtle humanity beneath his celebrity exterior when he is preparing for his roles or in a beautiful scene towards the end of the picture which I won't spoil for you. All the other performances are predictably superb with Berenice Bejo and John Goodman supplying the charm expected in old silent movies.

Another reason the film is so captivating is in the attention to detail with all the technical aspects. Firstly, the film is presented in the aspect ratio all old movies were screened in, to not only capture the essence of the time but to put greater focus on the performances of the actors. It works. The audience will feel every bit of emotion in this film because of it. Additionally, the music is one of the best original soundtracks I've heard in a long time. The 80 plus minutes of music from this film is almost like a character itself; a scene can be viewed as serious or comedic just by the use of a few notes. A final factor worth noting is the cinematography, which makes this film look like it could have come from 1927. It is shot in beautiful black and white which gives the film an extra texture and depth that today's digitally shot coloured films cannot capture.

It is possible to write for days about 'The Artist' but all that needs to be said is how moving, beautiful, joyful and brilliant it is. For a film to come out as daring as 'The Artist' in 2012 and be only half decent is a good result. However, it does much more than that. It captures the essence of cinema itself with it's ability to entertain, surprise and engage audiences all over the world, myself included.

A Classic.
  43. Jan 14, 2012
    www.unsungfilms.com by Georgia Xanthopoulou

Opening Nights: Athens International Film Festival 2011, Pt. 1

The Highlights: â
  44. Jan 29, 2012
    What a piece of art this is! I found myself smiling throughout the entire film. It became a permanent fixture on my face that wouldn't leave. Magical. Charming. Witty. Joyful. This movie will put you in a really good mood. Jean Dujardin and Berenice Bejo were outstanding. A silent film requires actors to convey a wide spectrum of emotions, and boy they sure did! It would be delightful for Dujardin to win Best Actor this year for his role. And to you Mr. Hazanavicius, thank you for your wonderful love letter to cinema! Expand
  45. Feb 10, 2012
    The artist is nearly two hour renaissance of silent movies. Michel Hazanavicius's movie is a complete opposite of other mainstream movies today - it's not everyday you get to see a silent movie at the theaters anymore. I have read many reviews, and some (a minority) say, that the facial expression, the mimics of the actors are overplayed and straight up bad. How can you not love Jean Dujardin? His face is made for thirties-hollywood. To those who say this, I say this: **** commented such on talking movies: "The essential of theater films is the visual. Letting actors talk, will take a way the words of the pictures". Also Charles Spencer Chaplin was worried that talking would take away a very aspect of movies. The artist is a fantastic example of speaking pictures. In a today filled with movies of mainstreams, a direct opposite was, perhaps a dangerous project. But no gain without risk. This movie is absolutely amazing, and I strongly advice everyone to go see it. Expand
  46. Feb 19, 2012
    It was a great movie - but actually, nothing really special about screenplay or storyline. I loved Berenice Bejo and Jean Dujardin's performances. I also loved music by Ludovic Bource, and great direction by Michel Hazanavicius. Overall, I think I really enjoyed watching this film. And it will definitely win the Best Picture Oscar at the Academy Awards. (Also, I think it will win Best Director, Best Actor and Best Original Music.) Expand
  47. Mar 3, 2012
    Loveable, charming and thoroughly entertaining. As someone who generally only watches new films, a black & white silent film didn't sound particularly appealing, my curiosity led me to contradict my initial instinct. I'm so glad I went to see this film. Definitely worth the hype!
  48. Jun 11, 2013
    This is such a splendid little film and a rare piece of fantastic film making. It delivered everything wonderful a movie can offer and more, and yet it was silent. This is a movie to cherish.
  49. Mar 30, 2012
    this silent movie is great. it made me cry 3 times.it is my favorite movie of all time. the actors did great. i loved the dog. it was so cute. i loved every single part of it. i did not know if i was going to like i t because it was a silent movie. but i loved it.
  50. Apr 29, 2012
    Amazing film. I was worried about going to see a silent film but wow, what an experience, what a great film. Highly recommended to everyone, specially in theaters!
  51. May 17, 2012
    I know of only one real try at making a silent movie since the genre died of natural death in the thirties; that was the Mel Brooks 1976 parody 'Silent Movie'. I did not go to see that film and don't plan to. While technically not a real silent movie, 'The Artist' is as close as you'll ever come to it; it has an actual soundtrack which is almost exclusively music with very few sound effects and, like Brooks' film, only one word is spoken, hence, it can't be called a silent movie.

If it had not fared so well at all my usual sources and all the unusual ones as well, I doubt I would have bothered watching it; heyâ
  52. Jul 9, 2012
    Director Michel Hazanavicius takes you into this beautifully crafted, true to the time era, silent film. The Artist is shot in black and white with an 1.33:1 aspect ratio, so that it seems like you
  53. Jul 31, 2012
    The Artist is the best movie I've seen in a long time. The movies leads give perfect performances. ( So does the dog.) What's surprising is that the movie never feels slow. You'll forget your watching a silent film. What this movie lacks in color and sound it makes up 10x with heart and pure entertainment.
  54. Jan 6, 2014
    A magia do cinema mudo, contada atrav├ęs de um dos filmes mais contagiantes de seu tempo
  55. Nov 28, 2012
    Featuring two magnificent lead performances, "The Artist" is a friendly, funny, and gratifying film that acts as an appropriate tribute to silent cinema.
  56. Dec 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wonderful! The reason this film was my favorite of 2011 is because not only is it a brilliant tribute to classic silent cinema, but it's also fully aware that it's a modern film. For example, there's a dream sequence that creatively incorporates sound in a manner that fits into the conflict of the story. Also, the ending was so brilliant; many people don't like that the film did what it did at the end, but I thought it was absolutely necessary. Dujardin and Bejo are great, the music is great, the dancing is great, the story is great. All-in-all, just a wonderful film that completely deserved Best Picture in my opinion. Expand
  57. Jan 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "The Artist" pays tribute to classical techniques while subtly appealing to 21st century viewers. A viewer must anticipate predictable 20th century cinematography. The viewer must also realize that this film plays upon a romantic theme (that is rarely found today) about an ARTIST'S authentic quest for greatness and the consequent martyr as a result of pride. Expand
  58. Feb 28, 2013
    Love the movie. You should watch this, this is one of the best movies i have ever seen. Enven though until the last minutes of the movie, the first voice was spoken, but the whole movies are still good. It fill with love and some other thing
  59. MHD
    Mar 29, 2013
    The Best Picture of 2011 And For Me The Best Picture Ever A Direction Acting Story Idea It's A Perfrfect Movie. A great Rmantic Story with A little Comedy. Just So Magical
  60. Apr 14, 2013
    The fact that this movie won Best Film was just the proof of how magic cinema is by proving even a silent film could win the most prestigious award a movie could achieve.
  61. Sep 11, 2013
    The first word that popped into my head when I finished watching The Artist, was "Perfect".

Everything about this film was so well done, so expertly crafted, that it should be used as a model for students looking to write, direct, act, etc in the film industry.

Definitely ranks in my top five movies of all time.
  62. Sep 19, 2013
    Don't be fooled by the black and white tone of the picture-- The Artist is from 2011. That decision was genius, and really made the film more genuine and it felt that much more real. Kudos to everyone in this filmmaking process for a job well done.
  63. Jan 30, 2014
    "The Artist" tells such a wonderful, heartwarming and elaborate story that I was just shamelessly fascinated and thrilled while I saw it. Jean Dujardin's acting is beyond description. The film is very well made and looks gorgeous in black and white. The original music fantastic as well. "The Artist" is a magical movie experience or, like the director Michel Hazanavicius said, a love letter to cinema. Expand
  64. Mar 3, 2014
    A great homage to the silent movie era. It oozes charm and wit and the characters are great - I've never seen so much character in a dog. As soon as the film finished, I felt like shouting at mine for being so boring. The music is superb, the leads are incredible and it thoroughly deserves the praise it gets.

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Jan 20, 2012
    If nothing else, this is a cinematic high-wire act.
  2. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Dec 28, 2011
    Hazanavicius isn't just making a "silent movie," he is attempting to enter a time warp and craft something that would fool all but the most studious and scholarly into believing it could have been a lost film from a bygone era. If his tongue is sometimes a little in his cheek, that's all part of the fun.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Dec 22, 2011
    May be too cute to qualify as high art, but it's highly entertaining.