7.1

1. Feb 9, 2014
    A reviewer wrote, "The film is particularly affective at conveying the senselessness of trying to make sense of a conflict that has gained nothing beyond a vast waste of human life." This reviewer failed to get the powerful point. Western people whose thinking is based upon Enlightenment thinking, namely, statement of principles, logic, evidence, and modifying the principles based upon the evidence, cannot understand Arab mentality. I lived in Israel for several years. The Arab accepts certain principles and their conclusions, but ignores evidence and reality. When we use the word senseless we are the senseless people for refusing to educate pre-Enlightenment people to modern rational thinking.

Our hero visited Shechem, translated into English as Nablus, and visited a priest, who could not condemn suicide. This part of the story does not agree with my experience. Christians are not suicide killers, only members of the Islam faith. Bethlehem, where the Christian god was born, used to have a majority of Christians. The Moslems drove them out. Look at the numerical facts.

Otherwise, the language, people, and scenery very accurately portrayed modern Israel.

The powerful point is that since the Arabs do not employ modern rational thinking, they use emotions that are extremely powerful. The film gives an excellent feel of these powerful emotions. One of the very best I have ever seen. Once we ignore rational thinking and evidence, we can be subject to powerful, deadly forces. The lesson is that we must not give up hope, but keep struggling for rationality.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Keough
    Aug 20, 2013
    Though director Ziad Doueiri’s uneven treatment of this provocative premise suffers from contrivance and implausibility, it nonetheless arouses profound questions about fanaticism, cultural identity, and the essential mystery of other people, even those we think we know best.
  2. Reviewed by: Leba Hertz
    Aug 8, 2013
    There's nothing new here about the conflict, but the film portrays the two sides fairly - both right, both wrong. Overall, The Attack is thought-provoking, even if it doesn't address how to solve the problem. We'll probably never know the answer in our lifetime.
  3. Reviewed by: Adam Nayman
    Aug 1, 2013
    Despite its explosive subject matter, the movie has been carefully calibrated not to offend anybody.