7.9

1. Jun 18, 2012
    Stunning movie! Thumbs up to Mr Whedon and Mr Marvel who know how to put together a blockbuster, and for all you marvel followers who have seen this movie brace your self, the best is yet to come.
  2. Jun 18, 2012
    The avengers is a shockingly plebian pleb fest designed exclusively for plebs.

It consists of two hours of the plebiest plebiancy you will ever witness with your plebian eyes.

I seriously hope you don't watch this movie, pleb.
  3. Oct 3, 2012
    This is the way 3D should be displayed on every 3D TV with the proper Aspect Ratio of 1.78:1 which will fill the whole screen without the horrible "black bars". That alone makes this release one of the best ones on 3D.

The Aspect Ratio of: 1.78:1 takes this movie in 3D to a whole new level without the annoying "black bars" on top and bottom of the screen. Usually I don't mind those

Usually I don't mind those "black bars" on 2D viewing, maybe because we are all used to it by now, plus it doesn't take anything away...BUT ON 3D viewing this is the complete opposite. WHY SUCH A BIG DEAL ABOUT THIS ASPECT RATIO?:
    For those of us who already hated the so called "black bars" on top and bottom of the screen while watching a regular movie, this is really bad for 3D Home viewers, as this WILL TAKE AWAY FROM WHAT MAKES 3D WORTH THE PURCHASE TO BEGIN WITH, minimizing the effect by a big percentage, unless you have a 80" 3D TV which I'm pretty such most of us don't have.

SO WHAT'S THE "APPROPRIATE" ASPECT RATIO THAT SHOULD BE IN 3D HOME MOVIES?
    Most 3D movies right now are NOT being released with the desirable Aspect Ratio that will fill the whole screen giving you the whole 3D effect BUT movies like Wrath Of The Titans, and the soon to be released AVATAR 3D, are some of the very few that could display with an average Aspect Ratio of: 1.78:1 WHICH WILL take advantage of your New 3D TV as you expected to display from day one.

With that said, This movie fortunately does support that type of Aspect Ratio which is completely worth spending the extra few dollars on the 3D Bluray version. Even with an enormous TV set you wouldn't want to watch a 3D movie with the black bars because...the bigger the TV, the bigger the "black bars" .

ABOUT THE MOVIE:
    I did LOVE this movie when I went to see in IMAX 3D, I think it had a good use of the technology. STORY: This is certainly the BEST comic to film translation, and yes, I did like Batman the Dark Knight Rises, but not as much as this one. SPECIAL EFFECTS: The special effects although not groundbreaking they were certainly eye-candy, and what really makes it stand out from the pack is how well the director and his team were able to put everything together and make it look Amazing all around...AND EVEN BETTER IN BLURAY 3D AND ITS AMAZING 1.77:1 ASPECT RATIO TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THE ENTIRE SCREEN.

If you have a 3D TV and a 3D BluRay player, this movie will certainly make you proud of that investment...I know it did for me.
  4. May 5, 2012
    ASSEMBLE all your friends and family to go see The Avengers! It doesn't get much better than this! An ensemble movie done extremely well and there is just so much going on here. Iron Man is flawless as usual, Ruffalo is pitch-perfect as Bruce Banner/Hulk, and the whole ensemble just works. The plot is solid with an imminent threat that is worth caring about, and Loki is a fine villain.ASSEMBLE all your friends and family to go see The Avengers! It doesn't get much better than this! An ensemble movie done extremely well and there is just so much going on here. Iron Man is flawless as usual, Ruffalo is pitch-perfect as Bruce Banner/Hulk, and the whole ensemble just works. The plot is solid with an imminent threat that is worth caring about, and Loki is a fine villain. Again, there is a LOT going on here, but Whedon seems to pull it all together while still giving each character plenty of screen time. This is a "smash"-ing good time! Expand
  5. Jun 12, 2012
    This is THE MOVIE OF THE YEAR! This movie had all the best heroes in it, and it shows how well Marvel can do a collaboration with The Avengers. This is a movies for the whole family.
  6. May 8, 2012
    1 word...AMAZING. totally worth the wait. you got comedy, action and scarlett johansson in it :P i mean Joss Whedon really did a brilliant job on the movie. usually 2 and a half hours could tend to get you a bit cranky but this movie was brilliant and the 2.30 hour run time felt like nothing cause it was so fast paced. loved it and i hope they make a sequel.
  7. May 8, 2012
    Overall, one of my top 3 favorite superhero movies of all time (Along with the dark night and xmen: first class). A great real supervillan. Great acting by Robert Downey Jr., Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, and Scarlett Johanson. Some comedic scenes also made me laugh out loud at some points. Overall, a must see for any action fan.
  8. May 5, 2012
    The Avengers was a really awesome and good. I thought it was kind of slow & a little boring at first but the last 25 minutes of the movie was worth the wait. I mean explosions, non-stop action, a giant green man, = awesomeness. This movie was not just awesome, it was also funny, Tony Stark delivered some funny lines, The Hulk was funny too. I didn't watch it in 3D though, but if I did itThe Avengers was a really awesome and good. I thought it was kind of slow & a little boring at first but the last 25 minutes of the movie was worth the wait. I mean explosions, non-stop action, a giant green man, = awesomeness. This movie was not just awesome, it was also funny, Tony Stark delivered some funny lines, The Hulk was funny too. I didn't watch it in 3D though, but if I did it would be amazing cause stuff flew at you and the screen a lot of times in the movie. You definitely should check it out. Expand
  9. May 5, 2012
    To say that Marvel's, The Avengers is a poorly made film tells me that you have no idea of what a good film could ever possibly be. What makes Joss Whedon's film succeeds as a great comic-book movie, no, as a good action film, is in its ability to be clear, concise, tight and conscious piece of cinema. With such an ambitious goal of bringing so many Marvel properties under one roof, theTo say that Marvel's, The Avengers is a poorly made film tells me that you have no idea of what a good film could ever possibly be. What makes Joss Whedon's film succeeds as a great comic-book movie, no, as a good action film, is in its ability to be clear, concise, tight and conscious piece of cinema. With such an ambitious goal of bringing so many Marvel properties under one roof, the film has to be clear, concise and tight. It has to get to the point, it has to go from point A to point B without any narrative gap, and it has to have a strong film logic. The minute we get confused at "why is this there" or "why did they do that" is where we as an audience lose interest. The film was tightly packed, but not stiff. The sequences on the helicarrier, where we find that our characters are somehow intertwined, these scenes represent the tightness. Robert and Banner in their interactions shine gloriously, as they convincingly offer an idea that these two could indeed be good friends. It was a nice moment that gave us some readied clarity on the realness of these properties. The action in the climax of the film really showcases the tightness as well. We know who is who, why they move the way they do, and where they are going. We root for the heroes, we want the villains to lose. But we get some great moments that really shine. His style of "mise-en-abime" is critical here and it really shows off his style. He wants the viewer to see everything, but not be confused. It's not perfect. The beginning jumps too fast. Widow needed more backstory as did the Hulk. How did he learn to control himself; the film never fully explains. However so, the film shines. Expand
  10. May 6, 2012
    The only reason this movie gets a 9 and not a 10 is because it's not the best superhero movie on the market. Dark Knight is still technically the better movie, but The Avengers provides Marvel's best showing at the box office, and the most fun I've had at a superhero movie. The movie is so great because of the interplay of the characters. I never expected to laugh as much as I did while IThe only reason this movie gets a 9 and not a 10 is because it's not the best superhero movie on the market. Dark Knight is still technically the better movie, but The Avengers provides Marvel's best showing at the box office, and the most fun I've had at a superhero movie. The movie is so great because of the interplay of the characters. I never expected to laugh as much as I did while I was in the movie, and it will continue to make me laugh. The characters/actors interact perfectly with one another, just as you would expect real superheroes to. Combine that with some great actions, some great fight scenes, and some stunning special effects, you have a movie that will be #1 at the box office for weeks to come, AND deserves to be there. If you have a chance to see it in IMAX, do it. You won't be disappointed. Expand
  11. May 6, 2012
    Positive Surprise, marvelous entertainment and definitely the best movie of the year so far. After leaving the theater i was both glad and surprised because i did not expect this at all, The Avengers is an extremely enjoyable film with magnificent action and great actors and i can really just say that this may be one of the best superhero movies ever made. And if you have not seen it yet do it.
  12. May 6, 2012
    While extremely entertaining, the film felt to generic. The whole "Big city apocalypse" where our heroes need to learn to work together and save the day. There is some pretty funny dialogue between the main cast, and the effects were great. Despite the final twenty minute non-stop action sequence, it started to feel boring near the end. I heard such great reviews earlier, and through theWhile extremely entertaining, the film felt to generic. The whole "Big city apocalypse" where our heroes need to learn to work together and save the day. There is some pretty funny dialogue between the main cast, and the effects were great. Despite the final twenty minute non-stop action sequence, it started to feel boring near the end. I heard such great reviews earlier, and through the whole film I was waiting for it to really take off and amaze me, which unfortunately it didn't. Pros: The acting is good, for the most part; The writing is funny, yet cheesy; The action and special effects are some of the best as far as superhero movies go. Cons: It felt strangely unsatisfactory; plot was bland and not very original.

Overall Grade: B
  13. May 6, 2012
    This is an example of how superhero movie should be done. The material is treated with respect. It is not changed around to match some writer's prideful personal vision of how the material should been done from the beginning. Fans of the material and the characters will be very pleased and will rate this a perfect 10. I rate it 9 because the story and the villain is a bit of a tiredThis is an example of how superhero movie should be done. The material is treated with respect. It is not changed around to match some writer's prideful personal vision of how the material should been done from the beginning. Fans of the material and the characters will be very pleased and will rate this a perfect 10. I rate it 9 because the story and the villain is a bit of a tired concept. Not perfect. Nonetheless, the villain is very well done and played by Tom Hiddleston. Regular movie-goers unaware of the source material should greatly enjoy it, as it is very good movie overall. Expand
  14. May 7, 2012
    This is definitely no The Dark Knight. Just another superhero-themed movie to fill in the gaps for the long-awaited The Dark Knight Rises. Decent flick, but really forgettable. (They really underused Jeremy Renner here).
  15. May 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The dialogue is crisp, the action is loud and in your face, and the characters are all there. For an Avengers fan, or someone craving snippy lines and mindless action, this movie is for you. For those of you looking for a truly epic experience, a story with impact, look elsewhere. In the end, the Avengers is all it could be, and what was promised in the first of what may very well end up being a trilogy. As such, our heroes are in no danger (and neither is our villain for that matter), and for someone who isn't a Marvel junkie, the whole journey just felt like pointless fluff. Even the overlong action sequence carries little impact as we all know how it will end. I suppose The Avengers was all it promised to be, but in spite of that I left the theater wanting more from this film. It still gets a passing grade, but I would not see it again. Expand
  16. May 21, 2012
    Its an ok superficial superhero action/comedy and if you liked movies like Iron Man and Captain America you will probably like this to. It has funny one liners and good looking effects but not much more. If you want a movie with good story and any depth to the characters this is not for you.
  17. Jun 3, 2012
    The 3-D Is Amazing And Epic!
    We Want Somthing New Not Another Freaking Superhero Movie...
    THINK
  18. STS
    Jun 11, 2012
    I'm not a big fan of comic books and have never read any of the Avengers comics, or anything by Marvel actually. All that aside, this is a great film that has plenty of action and humour. I thought all the main actors did a good job with what time they had on screen, but obviously with so many characters some get less screen time and therefore less development. But I didn't feelI'm not a big fan of comic books and have never read any of the Avengers comics, or anything by Marvel actually. All that aside, this is a great film that has plenty of action and humour. I thought all the main actors did a good job with what time they had on screen, but obviously with so many characters some get less screen time and therefore less development. But I didn't feel bringing the different characters from their own respective films felt forced at all! My personal favourite is probably Captain America which is a total surprise - but Robert Downey Jr as Iron Man is also brilliant. Even more of a surprise, this film made me like the Hulk!! Saw it twice, and hope Marvel Studios will keep making more of these, with quality writers and directors! Expand
  19. Jun 21, 2012
    Here are 5 reasons why this movie wasn't as good as it could have been:
    1.The actor playing the villain was too weak for the rest of the cast of characters.
    2. Too much of the movie takes place on a Plane 3. That's 3 strikes now for casting a decent HULK actor, or even scripting a good HULK storyline 4. Robert Downey Jr.'s shtick is getting tired and repetitive (see: every movie he
    Here are 5 reasons why this movie wasn't as good as it could have been:
    2. Too much of the movie takes place on a Plane
    4. Robert Downey Jr.'s shtick is getting tired and repetitive (see: every movie he makes)
    5. Thor is a super-powerful God, what is it that the other characters have to offer? (maybe they are the distractions)
  20. Jul 9, 2012
    5 out of 10, even though that's going against the general opinion of the public. It was a really good movie, but it was still a Superhero movie that comes at the tail end of an ongoing fad in Hollywood. I enjoyed it, so don't misunderstand what I'm saying. It just needed to step up it's game in order to compete with some of the other movies that are circulating out there. A lot of people5 out of 10, even though that's going against the general opinion of the public. It was a really good movie, but it was still a Superhero movie that comes at the tail end of an ongoing fad in Hollywood. I enjoyed it, so don't misunderstand what I'm saying. It just needed to step up it's game in order to compete with some of the other movies that are circulating out there. A lot of people loved it, but I'm not a lot of people. It had it's moments of well done special effects, humor, and dialogue. I was hoping for better, but it didn't meet my expectations. Expand
  21. Jul 12, 2012
    This movie was very tasteless. There was not much of a story and when it started getting good it went right back down. I think it is just too many superheros for one movie. Many questions that came up for the things that just made nosense.
  22. Jul 21, 2012
    Ok. Firstly, I've got to say that I had a good time watching The Avengers. There were some interesting moments and liners that even I still remember up to now. Robert Downey Jr. did well as Tony Stark/Ironman and I seriously can't imagine that character is played by another actor. Mark Ruffalo also stole the show. From the beginning until some moments before the ending you could witnessOk. Firstly, I've got to say that I had a good time watching The Avengers. There were some interesting moments and liners that even I still remember up to now. Robert Downey Jr. did well as Tony Stark/Ironman and I seriously can't imagine that character is played by another actor. Mark Ruffalo also stole the show. From the beginning until some moments before the ending you could witness how tense he was. He seemed to think that as if he was a nuke that could just blow out at anytime. In short, in term of the characters, I think that there was no flaws at all. The characters were delivered superbly.
    However, just like most superhero movies, I found out that I actually don't care about the faith of each character. I had already known that every single main character would survive the day even before I started watching it. As a result, I felt no personal feelings toward the characters. I wasn't afraid that by the end of the movie Ironman would probably die nor I couldn't care less about Hawkeye and Black Widow's relationship. Apart from Bruce Banner character, I felt that I wasn't attached to the characters. They were all flat. And the way I see it, there is always a minus point in watching a movie that you know that the major characters will just survive: There is no tension. I ain't commenting on the story since this movie is not for the hardcore audience;this one is aimed into family teritory. Thus, the flaws in the story and the 'too-much-focus-on-the-effects-is all fine.
    I recommend this movie to those who want to have a good time. Prepare some food and watch it with your family. You'll surely have a good time.
  23. Jul 21, 2012
    Explosions and gags... Wrestlemania is better in this fields... Avengers is the worst movie of superheros of the history, because dont have story. Only Downey Jr. brings some emocion, all the rest are littles and poors.
  24. Jul 21, 2012
    The story was horrid in this movie, it felt very lazy. There was never any inclination that the good guys could lose, or even injured; it made for a very flat, anticlimactic story. That's my biggest gripe, but not my only one. Even knowing the backstory of all the characters from previous movies, I just really didn't care about any of them in this one. The characters were written poorlyThe story was horrid in this movie, it felt very lazy. There was never any inclination that the good guys could lose, or even injured; it made for a very flat, anticlimactic story. That's my biggest gripe, but not my only one. Even knowing the backstory of all the characters from previous movies, I just really didn't care about any of them in this one. The characters were written poorly and it was just compounded by the bad acting. Every scene that had Scarlett Johanson in it was painful to watch. The only character I was even remotely interested in was Bruce Banner / Hulk. This would be a great movie to take an 8 year old to. They would have no problem glazing over the shallow characters and lethargic plot. Expand
  25. Aug 14, 2012
    fun, enjoyable and entertaining. Do I have to say any more?
    If you are willing to see an amusing movie, you won't regret seeing The Avengers, and thats it, The Avengers is an awesome movie.
  26. D__
    Aug 27, 2012
    Very good action sequences and had more character development than the previous installments...
    However of all the recent, undeserved films getting a 2 pt. treatment this feels like one that definitely deserved it and would have been very beneficial.
    I felt as if they started to develop a plot - about the team being manipulated - then left it.
    Maybe in the sequel.
  27. Sep 11, 2012
    Ok, the start was really slow and boring for me, some part were good, the acting was good, but it's just the actors seemed to made me board in this film but i did like them when they were in there own movies, most of the movie is on a ship, they is not much set changes in this film, the actor who plays the hulk was replaced by a bad actor. just this movie was very bad, i watched it like 10Ok, the start was really slow and boring for me, some part were good, the acting was good, but it's just the actors seemed to made me board in this film but i did like them when they were in there own movies, most of the movie is on a ship, they is not much set changes in this film, the actor who plays the hulk was replaced by a bad actor. just this movie was very bad, i watched it like 10 times and as much as I've tried to like it i just don't like it Expand
  28. Dec 31, 2012
    great fun must watch movie for all those who likes super heroes.Incredible way to accommodate 6 heroes in a single movie although character of Tony and Hulk was overshadowing but thats the way it is..
  29. Jan 6, 2013
    This movie was just bad. I love Joss Whedon but he needs a guy sitting over him while he is writing to tell him his jokes aren't funny. They chose the storyline that doesn't connect with the others on the least likeable character. All the other avengers are really good at something or science gave them powers but Thor is just a heavy handed dueche that has powers because of the cop outThis movie was just bad. I love Joss Whedon but he needs a guy sitting over him while he is writing to tell him his jokes aren't funny. They chose the storyline that doesn't connect with the others on the least likeable character. All the other avengers are really good at something or science gave them powers but Thor is just a heavy handed dueche that has powers because of the cop out that he is a god. There were redeeming factors due to the Sp. Effects and Scarlett Johanson's butt. Expand
  30. Aug 24, 2013
    [8.2] It's by far the best Marvel movie since the original Iron Man movie, and just as much fun. Colorful characters, a likable cast, and outstanding production. There's not much I don't like about this movie.
  31. Mar 16, 2013
    It is one of 2012 best movies. It is suitable for just any age. Iron man, Hulk, Captain America etc... are awesome. I just don't know why did critics gave it 60 while it has a score of 92 on rotten tomatoes and it deserves 92. Buy it on DVD or wait until its TV release. Recommended for anyone.
  32. Mar 23, 2013
    A popcorn movie that gets everything a popcorn movie needs right. It's got the special effects, cheesy dialogue and like-able characters, but it does it all effortlessly and is one of the best superhero movies to date.
  33. Nov 18, 2013
    I expected MUCH more from this movie, I could see a story in this film that really convinced me. I saw more special effects. El personaje de Iron Man, solo arrogancia, no se como les gusta a muchos, una mierda de pelicula
  34. Nov 29, 2013
    The truth is that neither film excited me at any time, lacks epic, awesome and it was very overrated. The truth donot like people I went crazy for this movie.
  35. Apr 19, 2014
    I'll be the fist to admit that the plot was a little weak BUT! This is a fanboys wet dream. What I've been waiting years to witness! As a proud Marvel comics nerd, I never had any doubt in my mind about this one. Ever since Marvel Studios began it's journey making films in house, which started with Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk, it has been nothing but great. The room for creativeI'll be the fist to admit that the plot was a little weak BUT! This is a fanboys wet dream. What I've been waiting years to witness! As a proud Marvel comics nerd, I never had any doubt in my mind about this one. Ever since Marvel Studios began it's journey making films in house, which started with Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk, it has been nothing but great. The room for creative writing and directing is limitless. Mark Ruffalo delivers the best portrayal of Bruce Banner/ Hulk on film, PERIOD! The balanced screen time each of these crucial characters receives is flawlessly pulled off by Joss Whedon! What Marvel Studios has done with the cinematic universe has forever changed the course of film and has raised the bar pretty dang high. (Take note, Fox and WB/DC) There are enough laughs, action and emotional moments that will satisfy the casual moviegoers and fanboys alike. Expand
  36. May 4, 2012
    Great action flick, non-stop action, great lines, and I plan on seeing it again. Robert Downey, Jr steals the show as Iron Man. Stay for the credits to see the teaser for the next film! If you liked the Marvel films, you will love the Avengers.
  37. May 4, 2012
    The Avengers is a musical arrangement that hits every note on pitch with all the class and excitement you'd expect with Tony Stark in the mix. Joss Whedon takes the helm and crafts a masterpiece. The characters are great, the script is amazing, the comedy is always perfect, and the action is breathtaking! You won't find a better superhero movie or a comic adaptation. The Avengers setsThe Avengers is a musical arrangement that hits every note on pitch with all the class and excitement you'd expect with Tony Stark in the mix. Joss Whedon takes the helm and crafts a masterpiece. The characters are great, the script is amazing, the comedy is always perfect, and the action is breathtaking! You won't find a better superhero movie or a comic adaptation. The Avengers sets the bar high, and will be one of the main reasons 2012's summer movie release list will be memorable. Expand
  38. May 4, 2012
    My wife and I were trying not to get too excited for this movie. These mash-up movies always a huge risk. And in this case it was a HUGE success. They did a great job of giving everyone a proper place in the movie without giving everyone powers to match one another necessarily. Also compared to other Marvel movies in the past, like X-Men where they decided Wolverine needed act asMy wife and I were trying not to get too excited for this movie. These mash-up movies always a huge risk. And in this case it was a HUGE success. They did a great job of giving everyone a proper place in the movie without giving everyone powers to match one another necessarily. Also compared to other Marvel movies in the past, like X-Men where they decided Wolverine needed act as leader all the time, it was nice to see that they used characters like Captain America to give orders and stay level headed while Iron Man was able to go off crazy and do his thing. The jokes hit perfect, the timing and action was spot-on. The only thing that could ever be said was that the plot wasn't too overall complicated and was fairly straightforward along the way, but I don't feel it detracts from the movie at all, as anything more complex would have made the whole thing feel convoluted with so many characters struggling to work together. Expand
  39. May 5, 2012
    This film is about a group if heroes, each with their own hubris, and how they must learn to work together for the greater good. With plenty of action, humor and story, this movie delivers at every turn. Director Joss Whedon knows how to build, challenge and sustain a team driven story. From his experience with Buffy to Firefly and Dollhouse, he has learned how to develop an ensembleThis film is about a group if heroes, each with their own hubris, and how they must learn to work together for the greater good. With plenty of action, humor and story, this movie delivers at every turn. Director Joss Whedon knows how to build, challenge and sustain a team driven story. From his experience with Buffy to Firefly and Dollhouse, he has learned how to develop an ensemble cast and provide each character with enough screen time to not just have time to develop their character, but to have a sense of balance as a whole. Each character proves to be an essential part of the greater whole. And that is where this movie shines. No one is left out and everyone is used in a manner that pushes the story and development forward with no real lag in the narrative. My only concern, with a movie this grand and epic, is how Marvel is going to top, or even match this film. If they can, then the next Marvel movie will be nothing short of astonishing. Bottom line this is the best superhero Team Movie made to date. Expand
  40. May 5, 2012
    I am quite possibly one of the biggest batman fans on the planet and i still looked forward to this more than the dark knight rises. Marvel movies dont have quite the in depth story telling that dc comic book movies have, but i would rather watch this again then sit through the dark knight returns. The effects were amazing and even with so many characters everyone gets enough screen timeI am quite possibly one of the biggest batman fans on the planet and i still looked forward to this more than the dark knight rises. Marvel movies dont have quite the in depth story telling that dc comic book movies have, but i would rather watch this again then sit through the dark knight returns. The effects were amazing and even with so many characters everyone gets enough screen time to make the movie feel really balanced. I saw this with 6 other ppl and all of us walked out extremely happy. I would highly recommend this as a great start to the summer movie season. 2012 is looking to be one of the best years for movies in a long time Expand
  41. Jul 19, 2012
    Probably one of the worst movies i have ever seen. Only Tony Stark and Bruce Banner seemed developed. The storyline was dull and boring. The finale took forever. The "come together" moment was completely terrible. Hawkeye barely got any screen time. Unoriginal storyline creates a power rangers for adults. Mindless action that had no meaning makes this one of the worst Marvel movies of allProbably one of the worst movies i have ever seen. Only Tony Stark and Bruce Banner seemed developed. The storyline was dull and boring. The finale took forever. The "come together" moment was completely terrible. Hawkeye barely got any screen time. Unoriginal storyline creates a power rangers for adults. Mindless action that had no meaning makes this one of the worst Marvel movies of all time. The only good parts about this were the special effects (which had no meaning because of the terrible script, unoriginal storyline, and mediocre acting) and the only developed character, the Hulk. If you want a real movie, skip "Marvel's The Avengers". Expand
  42. May 5, 2012
    An example of how you do a big budget, blockbuster film in the best possible way. From start to finish, The Avengers is entertainment perfection and the best film Marvel has ever put out yet. Director and writer Joss Whedon implements his trademark humour and cinematography to make the film not just funny, but also tightly paced and action packed. I'm impressed that Whedon could handleAn example of how you do a big budget, blockbuster film in the best possible way. From start to finish, The Avengers is entertainment perfection and the best film Marvel has ever put out yet. Director and writer Joss Whedon implements his trademark humour and cinematography to make the film not just funny, but also tightly paced and action packed. I'm impressed that Whedon could handle this many characters at once, especially heroes but it isn't surprising because he's done it before. While Tony Stark/Iron Man have slightly more screen time and has the most jokes and one liners, not one character is wasted or slandered and the main ensemble cast play each other extremely well and every single one of them gets a shining moment thanks to a very well written script and steady pacing. Mark Ruffalo is the best Hulk ever and I'm surprised that they didn't over sexualised Black Widow in contrast to what the trailers show but now that I think about it, it's Joss Whedon, whom you should know created Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I cannot rave this film enough and I've already seen it twice in the cinema. It is the blockbuster film of the year. It is so entertaining and so much fun to watch and it is a shining example of how a big budget blockbuster film should entertain a general audience. I've seen it both in 3D and 2D but I recommend it in 2D Expand
  43. May 6, 2012
    I finally got to see this in theaters.....IT WAS F*CKING AWESOME! I am a huge fan of the Avengers, when I first heard their making a movie, I was psyched yet a little worried. I went to my movie theater, and it was PACT, it was crowded with a line from the entrance to the parking lot. It was hard for me to see it b/c it's always sold out. Well, I finally got to see it, and it was so coolI finally got to see this in theaters.....IT WAS F*CKING AWESOME! I am a huge fan of the Avengers, when I first heard their making a movie, I was psyched yet a little worried. I went to my movie theater, and it was PACT, it was crowded with a line from the entrance to the parking lot. It was hard for me to see it b/c it's always sold out. Well, I finally got to see it, and it was so cool I'm definitely gonna see it again. The action scenes are incredible and was fantastic to see my favorite superhero's teaming up all in 1 movie. I don't care if people criticize this saying it's a kids movie, which it's obviously not. I'm surprised about the humor to this film, it actually had pretty funny scenes. The casting was incredible, the action scenes are unbelievable, pretty much everything about this movie was great. People who hate this movie are living under a rock or one of those people that love to nitpick and rant about stupid sh*t that nobody cares about. I know it's based on people's opinion, but seriously, how can you hate this movie when theirs nothing wrong with it? This is an awesome movie, I would like to say that this hits my Top Favorite Movies of All Time. BEST MOVIE OF 2012! Expand
  44. May 5, 2012
    This is one of the best action films than ever seen in my life. Every hero work together. God job director I give you a 10. Work hard and you will be the best director ever, maybe and make and other sequel but much better.
  45. May 4, 2012
    Move over Spiderman 2, Dark Knight and X-men:First Class. This movie us literally the best thing I've seen so far this year. I loved every second of it. The film is very well paced and the script is super sharp and humorous. it also makes references to previous movies. I congratulate Mark Ruffalo for getting the character of Bruce Banner right after Edward Norton and Eric Bana didn't quiteMove over Spiderman 2, Dark Knight and X-men:First Class. This movie us literally the best thing I've seen so far this year. I loved every second of it. The film is very well paced and the script is super sharp and humorous. it also makes references to previous movies. I congratulate Mark Ruffalo for getting the character of Bruce Banner right after Edward Norton and Eric Bana didn't quite get it. As for the rest of the heroes, they've improved so much after their previous films, Captain Americas fight scenes weren't as boring as last years efforts. Like the Directors of the individual films. Joss Whedon has done a superb job at directing this, he really deserves an Oscar for this. Overall I thought the movie was brilliant and I look forward to a sequel in the next three to four years. Not gonna spoil the end credits scene but it's epic! A fantastic film and a must watch! Expand
  46. May 4, 2012
    Personally I really enjoyed iit. The reason why I do not rely on critic reviews (69 out 100 please). Because they are just personal opinions like my own. The movie was very entertaining. I do agree about one thing though this was the best depiction of the Hulk since the TV series.
  47. May 4, 2012
    At the core of a great film is an even greater story. At the core of every great story are even greater characters, chemistry and a strong foundation of source material. The Avengers have been around since the early 60s, and the characters even far beyond that. Personally, in the midst of my parents divorcing, I decided to take a second chance on comic books after dipping my toe intoAt the core of a great film is an even greater story. At the core of every great story are even greater characters, chemistry and a strong foundation of source material. The Avengers have been around since the early 60s, and the characters even far beyond that. Personally, in the midst of my parents divorcing, I decided to take a second chance on comic books after dipping my toe into Captain Carrot and his Amazing Zoo Crew in March, 1982 while living in Broken Arrow, OK during one of my many, many trips to QuikTrip to either buy ice cream, donuts or penny candy while playing Ms. Pac-Man. It wasn't a wonder why I became fat around this time. Fast forward 2 years to May, 1984, when I purchased Avengers (Vol 1) number 243, mostly due to my being intrigued with Captain America. I instantly fell in love with comics, and needed them to help me cope with the massive changes going on around me at the time. My heart was broken when the first Avengers cartoon series in 1999-2000 was an embarrassment. Just a pathetic series. However, when the X-Men movies did well and other titles like Daredevil, Elektra and Fantastic Four started to be released, I was excited to eventually see, at least, Captain America, Iron Man, etc. on the big screen. Never did I think a studio would be ambitious enough to attempt The Avengers as a whole.

Over the past few months, I've seen some of the most uninteresting trailers for The Avengers. I have been so worried thinking that the movie I've waited 28 years for was going to be an absolute disaster. Trailer after trailer, it didn't look any better. Did Joss royally screw this thing up???

Well, I saw it opening night, tonight. The trailers show the tiniest fraction of what happens in this absolute masterpiece. Sure, it's action-packed. It's expected to be. Sure it's got funny moments. It's expected to, especially with Robert Downey, Jr. as a leading man. What Joss Whedon did was take the greatest care of characters since Nolan's Batman series. The interaction between the characters, the way they deal with their own personal concerns and flaws, and how they come together as a team is so perfectly executed it nearly brought tears to my eyes. To most people it might be looked at as an enjoyable popcorn film; a great kickoff to the summer movie season. To me, a die-hard, multi-decade fanatic of this comic, these films, these characters and the integrity of keeping them authentic was paramount and, honestly, impossible to achieve, in my eyes. Joss proved me oh-so-wrong. When I began seeing the very nigh praise, the 93% on Rottentomatoes, etc. my low expectations became super high expectations. How often are expectations like that ever met? Well, I can at least say they weren't met. They were left in the dust, exceeded beyond anything my fanboy mind could have conjured. Bless Marvel, Whedon and these actors for treating multiple generations of fans to a perfect example of how it can be done right. Sure, Nolan has become the gold standard, but Whedon showed everyone that Marvel can do it too. My only regret is that Edward Norton couldn't reprise his role as Bruce Banner. Of the 3 Bruce's, he was the best. Mark Ruffalo was the worst. I like him as an actor and he had some of the mannerisms, but Edward captured the intellectual, frightened and loner aspect of Bruce Banner perfectly. Hulk, however, stole the show. Without spoiling some of the key aspects of the movie, I will just say that Joss' inclusion of Hulk in the manner in which he was was the cherry on top of this perfect sundae. While I can't imagine them topping this one, I've been so strongly surprised, I would never say never. The setup at the end of The Avengers has me so excited about where these movies will continue to go. I even guessed the surprise ending way early in the movie, but that was a product of my pure geekiness made happy by clearly other geeky people who wrote the film. Bring it on, Marvel. Excelsior! Nuff Said!!
  48. CDQ
    May 12, 2012
    The best movie this year by far, and perhaps the best superhero movie of all time. The sheer awesomeness of The Avengers cannot be explained with words. It was completely amazing.
  49. May 4, 2012
    The perfect superhero movie. Joss Whedon brings together this cast of completely different personalities together to make a perfect dysfunctional functioning team that can really throw down. The action was exciting and fresh and the comedy was earned. The movie's plot was well put together and wasn't some obvious thing, as believed by many critics. The movie had a strong, dramatic overtoneThe perfect superhero movie. Joss Whedon brings together this cast of completely different personalities together to make a perfect dysfunctional functioning team that can really throw down. The action was exciting and fresh and the comedy was earned. The movie's plot was well put together and wasn't some obvious thing, as believed by many critics. The movie had a strong, dramatic overtone that really grounded everything in the real world, even though it was all pretty fantastic. Overall, this is probably the most fun you'll have at the theater all year. Expand
  50. May 5, 2012
    I guess you can't please all of the people all of the time. With many reviewers complaining that this was a brainless action flick, and others complaining that there wasn't enough action, I thought this movie absolutely nailed the sweet-spot between the two, with some of the best action and biggest effect sequences of any comic-movie yet, and great dialogue in between.

The first half of

The first half of the movie's pretty slow, understandable when you consider all the characters that needed to be introduced/re-introduced. Black Widow got a great introduction, there were some cool moments with S.H.I.E.L.D and some minor scraps between the heroes themselves which were great fun, but the bulk of the action was saved for the big-scale Manhattan battle at the end. With all the actors slipping effortlessly back into their roles (except for Mark Ruffallo's Hulk, more on that later) there's plenty of room for banter between the heroes, which provide some of the biggest fun in the movie. It's hard to pick out one "main" character as they all get an equal share in the proceedings, exactly as it should be. RDJ shines once again as Tony Stark/Ironman, his trademark wit and cool oozing from every pore, Chris Hemsworth's Thor bringing his big Asgardian personallity to the party, all the S.H.I.E.L.D members suitably official and millitaristic. Evan's Steve Rogers/Captain America is the fish-out-of-water in this new time-period, but steps up to the role of team leader in time for the finale. Then there's the Hulk.

Now, I should preface this by saying how much I LOVED Ed Norton's Hulk film. After the godawful Ang Lee effort a few years before, the Incredible Hulk was everything a Hulk movie should be, and I was a little devastated when I heard Norton wasn't reprising his role for the Avengers. It turns out, I needn't have worried. Ruffallo, in his biggest role yet, shines as the self-depricating Banner, and the Hulk himself has some of the most crowd-pleasing, punch-the-air moments in the whole movie. Tom Hiddleston returns as Loki, the films antagonist and does a great job once more. He has some great one-on-one moments with most of the heroes, most notably with Stark and of course his brother Thor, but the best by far is his short-lived encounter with the Hulk, a scene which WILL make you laugh, HARD. Now, I could complain that the overarching plot was a little basic as some reviews have, but to be honest I thought the plot was exactly what it needed to be. There's an alien invasion coming, we need to gather Earths mightiest heroes to defend it. That's about the long and short of it and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. There were simply too many characters for anything more complicated than that to work effectively in the first Avengers movie. Perhaps in future sequels something a little more substantial would work, with all the characters now established as well as their roles within the team, but this was perfect for a first outing.

All of this led to a finale which was just awesome. You know that battle in Manhattan you've seen in all the trailers? That goes on for half an hour. For the majority of that half-hour, I practically couldn't stop smiling. I seriously dig superheroes, and for me, it was like christmas seeing them all work together against the alien threat. There's a moment where all the heroes are gathered and Cap gives the team their orders, including a particullarly crowd-pleasing order to the Hulk, before they all spread out and do their thing. It was seriously cool.

Speaking of Cap, I have to bring up my only real criticism with the movie, and that's Cap's new costume. It just looks cheap, to be honest. Why they re-designed it at all, I don't know. In the Captain America movie, they managed to make the costume look right without it looking too silly, but this new incarnation just didn't work for me. Other than that, the movie was great. Great fun, great actoin, great humour, great dialogue. If you like action movies, you gotta see this. If you like superheroes, you absolutely must see this. Twice. I've only seen it once, and writing this review's made me wanna go watch it again, so it looks like I'm off to the cinema this afternoon. Enjoy!
  51. May 4, 2012
    Possibly the best superhero movie ever. I've never seen an audience so engrossed in a film. Whedon's script and direction are perfect. This works on every level. Can't wait to see it again.
  52. Dec 4, 2012
    My most honest opinion as a Marvel fan: this movie is an absolute piece of garbage and overrated as hell. It's just as dumb and moronic as Bay's Transformers by only focusing on big budget special effects and random silly jokes. I give it a 2/10 because Mark Ruffalo was the only good thing about this film otherwise it would have been a 0/10.

It's good for little kids but those 3D

It's good for little kids but those 3D animated movies have much more depth than The Avengers. This movie could lower theirs and your IQ.
  53. May 8, 2012
    Taken on its own, it's a great action movie with laugh-out-loud comedy and fine character beats. But you HAVE to factor in the "degree of difficulty" of what Joss Whedon has accomplished. By all rights this thing should have been a total mess. All those heroes sharing one movie? Giving them all their proper character moments, action moments, individual plot arcs while simultaneouslyTaken on its own, it's a great action movie with laugh-out-loud comedy and fine character beats. But you HAVE to factor in the "degree of difficulty" of what Joss Whedon has accomplished. By all rights this thing should have been a total mess. All those heroes sharing one movie? Giving them all their proper character moments, action moments, individual plot arcs while simultaneously giving them proper interpersonal chemistry AND developing the Avengers organization WHILE progressing a movie plot. Whedon pulled the sword from the stone and somehow makes it all work. Much as I love Nolan I have to admit he could not have done this. This took all of Whedon's career of creating great "family" dynamics show after show in his TV series. It took real genius to pull off this movie, and the reviewers who can't see that should pack it in. Expand
  54. May 8, 2012
    Fantastic. Entertaining from beginning to end (even past the credits). Well written and humourous without going cheesey (like THOR). Scarlett Johansson was super hot.
  55. May 7, 2012
    A Perfect Ten. Everything you could ask for in an action movie. Even the trailer couldn't give everything away. A must see on every level. The 3-D effects were excellent. It is just amazing!!!
  56. May 6, 2012
    One of the best films I've seen in a good while. Marvel fans and movie goers will enjoy the action, cunning special effects and the wit. I had such a great time watching the film and I believe the entire audience felt the same way. 10 out of 10 a must see.
  57. May 8, 2012
    I want to say a lot about this film but this is such an awesome film that it can easily be summed up quite quickly. Think of an action film - for example, Transformers is a good one - with two dimensional characters, humanity, real humour and a wonderful story to boot. Even the villain has his own personality and a legitimate reason to invade Earth. This is one of those films that even forI want to say a lot about this film but this is such an awesome film that it can easily be summed up quite quickly. Think of an action film - for example, Transformers is a good one - with two dimensional characters, humanity, real humour and a wonderful story to boot. Even the villain has his own personality and a legitimate reason to invade Earth. This is one of those films that even for the umpteenth time you will continue to be entertained. Have you ever seen multiple superheroes from different films from the coolest comics come together with such ease? Expand
  58. May 26, 2012
    All the pieces of the Marvel film puzzle have finally been assembled, and the outcome was... fairly satisfying. It has all the thrills and flares needed for the first blockbuster of the summer and its packed with a lot of humor and cynicism that keeps things light. The visuals and sound designs were dynamic; and action sequences bombastic, but the icing on the cake were the characters thatAll the pieces of the Marvel film puzzle have finally been assembled, and the outcome was... fairly satisfying. It has all the thrills and flares needed for the first blockbuster of the summer and its packed with a lot of humor and cynicism that keeps things light. The visuals and sound designs were dynamic; and action sequences bombastic, but the icing on the cake were the characters that were brought to life (once again) for the big screen; Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man, Thor and the Agents. They were unique, dynamic, and director Joss Whedon did a good job at offering them equitable screen presence. None of them got lost in the mix. But the standout was surely Mark Ruffalo's take on Hulk, which exceeds the 2 previous versions by a land slide. Despite all the fun action and smart humor, the film was fairly empty. Our heroes weren't faced with any serious struggles or personal demons, they only had to kick the butts of those who wish to 'Take over the World'! And that wasn't a hard task for them. All that I saw in this movie was the same formula, redone in a (slightly) more charismatic way. Overall its an entertaining popcorn flick...which should be seen for the summer, but don't expect to take away much from it. Expand
  59. May 4, 2012
    As a director and co-screenwriter, Joss Whedon is no stranger to mixing and matching genres, and 'Avengers' is no different; while it has one of the most engaging, well-written, and slickly paced screenplays ever known to Marvel-based films, met with spectacular action sequences, shot at scrolling multi-dimensional angles--the non-stop action foregrounded from the mesmerizing setpieces andAs a director and co-screenwriter, Joss Whedon is no stranger to mixing and matching genres, and 'Avengers' is no different; while it has one of the most engaging, well-written, and slickly paced screenplays ever known to Marvel-based films, met with spectacular action sequences, shot at scrolling multi-dimensional angles--the non-stop action foregrounded from the mesmerizing setpieces and cinematography--too, is the suprisingly clean wit that brings relief at the most opportune times; both when the action subsides and drowsiness kicks in, and when the overstimulation of explosions, sound effects, and "Hulk-fists" flood the senses. However, notwithstanding its keen eye for diversity, and its frequent reminder to the audience that its characters are, real people with real lows and highs, and even larger hearts, albeit shown tacitly, 'Avengers' is, proudly so, a mind-vacationing summer caper; one that just happens to be much more tolerable, thanks to its ensemble cast's performances and the aforementioned flair. Assuming the form, though, of the genre, the film is host to, well...problems. Further, it tries arduously to make the viewer unaware of its issues, usually of continuity, masking them up, both literally and figuratively, but fanboys and casual moviegoers alike, will be far too engaged. Nonetheless, if one doesn't think too hard, 'Avengers' is an elite, alpha-male, man-amongst-boys spectacle that can't be missed. Put differently, it more than marginally exceeds its hyped expectations. More specifically, though, the pairing of the script with each of the "heroes" is a delight in itself; each brings something a bit different to the table, and each delivers in their role. First and foremost, is Robert Downey Jr.'s Tony Stark. Downey benefits, arguably the most from the quick-punching dialogue, as he wears his arrogant, billionaire-playboy-braggart aura so balanced that, when on-screen, he is all the audience can look at; his performance plays out like he was born to play the character, "Shakespearan-bearded," and all. One can't leave the theaters without Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow on their mind. As the tantalizingly tempestuous scarlet-beauty, she moves the screen with her walk, her talk, and her kick-ass, which apparently all can be done in one scene; think interrogation becomes interrogator. Next, is the unexpectantlyn refreshing Mark Ruffalo who plays the night-and-day role of anxiously cool Bruce Banner and the robustly stalwart and indomitable Hulk. Aside from his own contribution as Banner--which he does wonderfully--is the remarkable semblance his CGI'd-Hulk draws to the original, Lou Ferrigno (the "hulking" homo erectus with a thick, bushy, black-and-gray brow as well as the same touch of humanoid sense of self). Chris Evans' 'Captain' is also commendable, although, Evans himself, looks a good 15 pounds slimmer. He steps up to the role, but his same massive physique displayed in his own self-titled journey, is greatly reduced, which in turn, subtracts from his physical prowess. In addition, Hemsworth's Thor looks and acts just as formulated--his Aryan, golden-locks and azure eyes, bulbous shoulders and arms and the same misplaced naivete and ignorance--fits Whedon's mold. Samuel L. Jackson's Nick Fury, is no exception. While not as charismatic as the others, his "Shaft"-like spin, stern, in-your-face, and collectedly in control, is also apt the ensemble. And, although Renner's Hawkeye/Barton adds some action-filler, he doesn't quite offer anything much other than a few bicep flashes and stray arrows; such arrows that never seem to run-out. But, that is only one, very minor, continuity issue found among the many others. At the same time, however, special mention goes to Tom Hiddleson's Loki. Now, here is a villain who is so unpredictably nefarious, that almost an entire film is centered around him, but it works. I thoroughly enjoyed Hiddleson as Loki in "Thor," probably even more so than Thor himself, and again, he delivers with such darkly crafted charisma and snakily twisted facial expressions that is almost as fun to root for him as it is against him. So, yes, each character contributes. But, I have to ask, what's up with Clark Gregg's Agent Coulson. Not quite sure if Whedon is pointing to a, let's say, "fruity" demographic or what; his role is not really necessary, and only kills extra time and strong moments. As a whole, though, 'Avengers' packs an astounding beginning, a slow, estrogenic drama-anticlimax, followed by a resonantly solid close that does an incredible job at finishing on a high note; a ringing conclusion that acts as the world's best eraser--it wipes the distractingly uninvolved middle right from the minds of its audience--and re-draws a picture worth looking at: a superior, Marvel-action-flick-masterpiece. Sadly for Whedon, not all are as easily manipulated. Expand
  60. May 5, 2012
    You'll already know if you want to see this movie, and if you already know you want to see this movie, you'll more than likely love this movie. Most of the negative critic reviews seem to come from film critics who've let their personal preferences get in the way of doing their job properly. Joss Whedon and his stellar cast have done the near impossible and created an ensemble superheroYou'll already know if you want to see this movie, and if you already know you want to see this movie, you'll more than likely love this movie. Most of the negative critic reviews seem to come from film critics who've let their personal preferences get in the way of doing their job properly. Joss Whedon and his stellar cast have done the near impossible and created an ensemble superhero movie that is fast and funny, as reliant on its whip smart dialogue as its staggering set pieces. To me, it genuinely feels like the modern equivalent of Star Wars or Indiana Jones - a proper event movie that is more than the sum of its (admittedly not entirely flawless) parts. Most of all, unlike its alternatively dour and ridiculous DC counterparts, The Avengers is fun - if you let yourself, there's no reason for you not to enjoy it from start to finish. Expand
  61. May 4, 2012
    I didn't go in expecting anything amazing, but hearing that Joss Whedon had both written AND directed it really got me excited (I had though he was only writing the script). This isn't a thinking man's movie, or an emotional roller coaster, it's an incredibly fun and solid action film. Where Michael Bay consistently gets it wrong, Joss Whedon has gotten it right: Build up a good littleI didn't go in expecting anything amazing, but hearing that Joss Whedon had both written AND directed it really got me excited (I had though he was only writing the script). This isn't a thinking man's movie, or an emotional roller coaster, it's an incredibly fun and solid action film. Where Michael Bay consistently gets it wrong, Joss Whedon has gotten it right: Build up a good little story, but nothing too complicated. Build up some genuinely likeable and fleshed out characters, but nothing too complex or distracting. Mix in equal parts humour and brilliant action, and voila, you have a recipe for the perfect summer flick. This is by far one of the best of the light-hearted super hero movies. I'd put it right up there with the first Iron Man and the original Superman. Go see it (and Cabin In The Woods!). Expand
  62. May 5, 2012
    is one of the best films of 2012 so far, and it all of it because the director could make the six Avengers have their momtentosspecias loki and even the villain had his moment of great importance. tava wonderful cast, this excellent Scarlet, she could not understand the game of seduction that has black widow, Mark did not seem to have been the first hulk movie it being, 'cause he got tois one of the best films of 2012 so far, and it all of it because the director could make the six Avengers have their momtentosspecias loki and even the villain had his moment of great importance. tava wonderful cast, this excellent Scarlet, she could not understand the game of seduction that has black widow, Mark did not seem to have been the first hulk movie it being, 'cause he got to understand the anger that has Hulk, Chris Evans played my favorite character and in my opinion it all amazing in this role, Robert again with his amazing power to interpret anything, Chris Hemsworth had a very difficult to interpret the god of lightning and did a beautiful job Expand
  63. May 5, 2012
    In the context of the debate over the A.O. Scott review of this film, clearly comic book movies can be done extremely well and are worth of the highest praise. The best in the genre include Batman Begins, Dark Knight, and the original Iron Man. All are highly entertaining and evocative films. What strikes me about The Avengers, now a couple of hours after seeing it, is that theIn the context of the debate over the A.O. Scott review of this film, clearly comic book movies can be done extremely well and are worth of the highest praise. The best in the genre include Batman Begins, Dark Knight, and the original Iron Man. All are highly entertaining and evocative films. What strikes me about The Avengers, now a couple of hours after seeing it, is that the personalities of each of the superheroes truly come out over the course of the film, which is essential in elevating them above plastic or wooden action figures, and I didn't think it would be possible, despite Whedon's involvement. Even Scarlett J's Black Widow is terrific - and I'm very much not a fan of her other work. Beyond the strong personalities, there are actually some truly funny laugh lines in the movie, which isn't always the case in this genre. The "big" action sequences toward the end of the film are better than your average comic book movie money scenes - and they're certain better than anything in the Transformers films - but I still found myself getting a little bored amidst the mayhem. Finally, its great seeing Cobie Smulders as Sam Jackson's right hand woman in the command center. She's got a future in action films if she wants it. Expand
  64. May 5, 2012
    Exciting, incredibly well written, and hilarious, The Avengers is Marvel's best film. The action is incredibly thrilling, the humor unmatched in a blockbuster, and the performances fantastic. This is the best way to start off the Summer movie season.
  65. May 4, 2012
    Wow. Just plain wow. I had obviously high expectations, and even those were blown away. Joss Whedon shows yet again why he is one of the best writer/directors in Hollywood. Making every character interesting and entertaining is a tough task, but Joss does it with ease.
  66. May 5, 2012
    Best hero movie of all time, hands down! Very funny, the action looked amazing and the characters are all lovable. All of them. Even the Hulk.... (maybe, specially him)
  67. May 5, 2012
    It is an entertaining movie on the lines of Thor. I would not call it an exceptionally good one like Iron Man 1 or Captain America. The climax was too long like Transformers 3. I think they should have given more focus to Loki and Hulk because Marvel had separate movies for other characters and it felt like they were repeating the same movie again. It is definitively a one time watch butIt is an entertaining movie on the lines of Thor. I would not call it an exceptionally good one like Iron Man 1 or Captain America. The climax was too long like Transformers 3. I think they should have given more focus to Loki and Hulk because Marvel had separate movies for other characters and it felt like they were repeating the same movie again. It is definitively a one time watch but don't keep your hopes high. 7/10 is my score. Expand
  68. May 5, 2012
    This is the greatest super hero movie of all time and one of the greatest movies of all time.Tons of action and there is no 1main character, the movie evenly divides characters and each one has their moment.It is actually quite funny as well, and comic fans will absolutely LOVE it.I never found the film boring and this movie has quite a few claping moments for all those people who love toThis is the greatest super hero movie of all time and one of the greatest movies of all time.Tons of action and there is no 1main character, the movie evenly divides characters and each one has their moment.It is actually quite funny as well, and comic fans will absolutely LOVE it.I never found the film boring and this movie has quite a few claping moments for all those people who love to cheer during the movie(like myself). And stay after the credits(like if you didnt already know that).Overall movie is outstanding,good story,awesome characters,insane fights,and great humor.This is going to be movie of the year and is a must see for ALL kinds of people. Expand
  69. May 5, 2012
    Simply the best on screen adaptation and movie I've ever had the pleasure of seeing! The only film on pare with The Dark Knight. If you can't enjoy this for pure entertainment, then you obviously have personalty issues where as you hate everything and cannot be satisfied. Go live under a rock, same with all the critics who have rated this as below average. Can The Avengers be the finalSimply the best on screen adaptation and movie I've ever had the pleasure of seeing! The only film on pare with The Dark Knight. If you can't enjoy this for pure entertainment, then you obviously have personalty issues where as you hate everything and cannot be satisfied. Go live under a rock, same with all the critics who have rated this as below average. Can The Avengers be the final proof the worlds needs to completely discredit and eliminate useless movie "critics"? The pace, characters, environment, action, and humor were all done to perfection. This is what I've always wanted to see. Thank you for making it! Expand
  70. May 5, 2012
    I haven't read the comics at all, but I do know how the characters are. Either way, I thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed this movie. YOU HAVE GOT TO SEE THIS MOVIE!!!
  71. May 5, 2012
    I've seen it on the 24 of April in thw world premiere in Rome Italy (where i Live). This movie is AWESOME, at the level of Iron Man 1! I liked it a lot! The 3D is not so useful, it would be awesome also without it! It was years that i wasn't so happy to see a film... :D
  72. May 5, 2012
    Funniest super hero movie ever! Had a blast throughout and plan to see it again. Downey Jr. makes the film and my interest in Iron Man 3 is rejuvenated.
  73. May 4, 2012
    I had to get to the theater at 10:30 to get a seat for the midnight showing, and I sure wasn't the only one seeing the Avengers. Everywhere were people in Captain America masks, Thor helmets, or green faces for the Hulk. And when the lights dimmed, everyone began cheering as the movie started. And they cheered throughout it. And clapped. And laughed like crazy. The Avengers was SO MUCHI had to get to the theater at 10:30 to get a seat for the midnight showing, and I sure wasn't the only one seeing the Avengers. Everywhere were people in Captain America masks, Thor helmets, or green faces for the Hulk. And when the lights dimmed, everyone began cheering as the movie started. And they cheered throughout it. And clapped. And laughed like crazy. The Avengers was SO MUCH FUN!!! Humorous, packed with action, with a fantastic cast and highlights for every one of them. Go see it. You'll never have so much fun at a movie. (And afterward, I high-fived a die-hard Hulk fan who had dyed himself completely green.Who can top that?) Expand
  74. May 13, 2012
    I was trying to keep my expectations tempered. Now I have excitement churning in my chest, and a grin on my face that I can't fight. Can this be out already?

Regards
    Diolt
  75. May 13, 2012
    The Avengers has everything money can buy going for it and not much else. There's nothing offensive in the film but nothing provocative either. Did anyone here feel any tension whatsoever watching this? It plays it so safe. Hey, there's a lot of great stuff for the eyes, the pacing is good and I think the dialog is pretty funny, but there really isn't much substance or originality. AThe Avengers has everything money can buy going for it and not much else. There's nothing offensive in the film but nothing provocative either. Did anyone here feel any tension whatsoever watching this? It plays it so safe. Hey, there's a lot of great stuff for the eyes, the pacing is good and I think the dialog is pretty funny, but there really isn't much substance or originality. A summer thrill ride and then it's over. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Expand
  76. May 5, 2012
    The Avengers is the best Marvel film to date and the best movie of the year so far. I was surprised how well they were able to give all the Avengers about equal screen time. Mark Ruffalo is definitely the best Hulk ever, it made me appreciate the Hulk as a character. This is definitely one of the best comic book movies, following right behind Christoper Nolan's Batman films. Would love toThe Avengers is the best Marvel film to date and the best movie of the year so far. I was surprised how well they were able to give all the Avengers about equal screen time. Mark Ruffalo is definitely the best Hulk ever, it made me appreciate the Hulk as a character. This is definitely one of the best comic book movies, following right behind Christoper Nolan's Batman films. Would love to see this movie again, and I usually don't see films multiple times. If you are looking for a well written, well directed, action packed film, this is the best one in theaters. Expand
  77. May 4, 2012
    This was a funny action movie that alot a bit too much substance for one movie to contain. While the story was simplistic, I think that was a good thing because of the sheer number of things going on all at once. If you had a story with anymore to it, then this movie would have been really bogged down with just too much stuff. The over abundance of stuff in the movie doesn't let the heroesThis was a funny action movie that alot a bit too much substance for one movie to contain. While the story was simplistic, I think that was a good thing because of the sheer number of things going on all at once. If you had a story with anymore to it, then this movie would have been really bogged down with just too much stuff. The over abundance of stuff in the movie doesn't let the heroes in this movie truly shine till the very end. Some of the best parts of the movie were when they were interacting with each but that was very few and far between. The final action sequence at the end doesn't disappoint though and it's worth going to see the movie just for that. If you weren't a fan of the previous individual movies for these characters, then this will not do anything to change your feelings toward Superhero movies. However this is a good, fun, and very enjoyable movie that people of all ages will enjoy. Just try not to get bogged down with the sheer amount of content this movie tries to cram into your brain in 2 hours. You might get a headache afterward lol. Expand
  78. May 5, 2012
    Absolutely everything you would want out of an Avengers movie plus some. In the wrong hands this movie could've gone horribly awry and I'm ecstatic that this isn't the case. Prior to seeing it I was really worried about the 2 hr. 22 min. run but it seriously was not a problem, in fact I wouldn't have minded a 3 hr running time. The action was incredible and the banter between the superAbsolutely everything you would want out of an Avengers movie plus some. In the wrong hands this movie could've gone horribly awry and I'm ecstatic that this isn't the case. Prior to seeing it I was really worried about the 2 hr. 22 min. run but it seriously was not a problem, in fact I wouldn't have minded a 3 hr running time. The action was incredible and the banter between the super heroes was more often than not hysterical. And this is one of the first movies that the 3D didn't piss me off. You owe it to yourself to see this in theaters and experience the awesomeness. Expand
  79. Jun 2, 2012
    Harboring a great deal of expectation of this record-breaking multi-superhero-in-a-row action mash-up, I finally caught up the last chance to watch it on the big screen, but unfortunately the film has indomitably become my very first disappointment in 2012. Alerted by the general opinion of â
  80. May 5, 2012
    Awesome film, if you are a fan of superhero movies then you'll find The Avengers to be absolutely brilliant, but if you're not a fan of these films, it probably won't change your mind about them, even so there is stuff for all sorts of people to appreciate here. A bunch of superheros teaming up like this has never really been done before so this is definitely a very special film and afterAwesome film, if you are a fan of superhero movies then you'll find The Avengers to be absolutely brilliant, but if you're not a fan of these films, it probably won't change your mind about them, even so there is stuff for all sorts of people to appreciate here. A bunch of superheros teaming up like this has never really been done before so this is definitely a very special film and after 4 years build up for marvel fans since the first Iron Man, it has managed to live up to its incredibly high hype. Joss Whedon has done what he does best and has made a bunch of different characters all have multiple and equal times in the spot light without one hogging all of the attention, the balance between these characters is great and it makes it hard to pick your favourite superhero and they all have so many awesome moments. The writing is strong and surprisingly really funny at points and the humour never feels forced and the all of the actors deliver with great performances all around. While the soundtrack is nothing special it still fits in to film well. Overall I came out of the cinema satisfied after seeing Avengers, it was just as epic and action packed as the trailers made it out to be, it wasn't quite perfect and it won't convert the people who aren't into superhero movies but as a whole The Avengers is a great film that doesn't come around often, so I highly recommend it. Expand
  81. May 4, 2012
    The movie was a lot a fun, and had great character development for just about ever character, besides Loki. Overall it was very well rounded, a hint of romance added, great actions scenes and quite funny overall. It was worth staying up late for the midnight release, I don't understand why the critics are rating this so low.
  82. May 4, 2012
    Very fun movie to watch. This movie takes the wittiness from Iron Man and throws is into this movie. There really aren't any serious scenes. Everything is just ride filled with action and laughs. The reason this movie won't get anything higher than an 8 from me is because the movie can be too light-hearted for my liking. When the world is at stake and you have almost every scene endingVery fun movie to watch. This movie takes the wittiness from Iron Man and throws is into this movie. There really aren't any serious scenes. Everything is just ride filled with action and laughs. The reason this movie won't get anything higher than an 8 from me is because the movie can be too light-hearted for my liking. When the world is at stake and you have almost every scene ending with a funny line it get's to the point where this movie becomes more of a comedy than an action drama. It's the best Marvel film by far, but the fact that the plot is not very deep keeps it from being more than an 8. I much prefer the take Warner Bros. has taken with Batman because it is more true to life . But if you are a person that doesn't want a movie that takes itself too seriously then you'll enjoy The Avengers. Expand
  83. May 4, 2012
    The applause at the movie ending was indicative of my pleasure with the film also. There were moments of laugh out louds, snickers, and general pleasure received from being treated as an adult human that wants more from a movie than just the fantastic toys. I would see this one again and told all my friends to pay out hard earned cash to see it. I only promote the "good ones" and thisThe applause at the movie ending was indicative of my pleasure with the film also. There were moments of laugh out louds, snickers, and general pleasure received from being treated as an adult human that wants more from a movie than just the fantastic toys. I would see this one again and told all my friends to pay out hard earned cash to see it. I only promote the "good ones" and this one will be a hit for some time to come. Way to go. And Robert D. Jr.; you just get better and better. Expand
  84. May 5, 2012
    The best superhero movie I've ever seen. They managed to pull off a great combination of comedy and action all in one. The Hulk fit right in with the rest of the heroes. Marvel did a great job.
  85. May 5, 2012
    This movie is possibly the greatest movie this year. It's really great to see so much heroes in one movie. The story isn't the greatest thing, but the humor and gags do fit. The Avengers has fantastic action scenes, a huge and talented cast and at least this movie is not a Iron Man 3, or Thor 2.

So congratulations to Mr. Whedon, who did a great job spending every hero nearly the same time on the big screen. Actually Jeremy Renner had a great performance, I would really like to see him in a own Marvel film.
  86. May 6, 2012
    I had been waiting to see this movie since I first heard about it. So, I decided to go see it with a friend on opening night. I was expecting it to be a good movie. Well, it exceeded my expectations, because it was flat out AMAZING! I especially enjoyed Mark Ruffalo, who I never thought was all that great of an actor, as the Incredible Hulk. Plus, the special effects and action sequencesI had been waiting to see this movie since I first heard about it. So, I decided to go see it with a friend on opening night. I was expecting it to be a good movie. Well, it exceeded my expectations, because it was flat out AMAZING! I especially enjoyed Mark Ruffalo, who I never thought was all that great of an actor, as the Incredible Hulk. Plus, the special effects and action sequences were top-notch. What I really loved was the fact that they allowed the characters to be more than just your standard superheroes. Normally, I confess, when I see a fight in one of these movies, I just casually think "yeah...he's gonna win this one." But, with The Avengers, I felt as though I were in the middle of the fight, cheering them on. So, if you want a good movie, you seriously can't do better than this. I highly recommend it. Expand
  87. Jul 25, 2012
    Avengers is for dumb people, or those that want to be entertained by a bunch of nonsense. We should ask more from Hollywood then the same retreads just on a larger scale.
  88. Jul 27, 2012
    The best superhero movie ever? Not even close. Do NOT believe the hype with this film, it is simply a lot of hot air. Poor acting - check - there are a few brief moments mainly by Eric Banner
    Poorly paced - check - unbelievably clunky beginning then into CGI battle after CGI battle - yawn.
    Poor dialogue - check - this is my biggest annoyance. Whedon is meant to be great at dialogue. Where did it go so wrong here? Well this little line sums it up - whats the plan of attack? i have a plan. attack. Yeah its that cheesy. Some people are trying to defend the title of it being a mindless popcorn flick by trying to see things that are not there. This happens in any film where it really is as shallow as it looks. There are some nice glances between characters but it is all so contrived and unrealistic its hard to feel anything for it. When the characters are over being spoilt brats there is the coming together period which is meant to be one of the key character moments in an otherwise disappointing display. It's fair to say it falls short, again feeling contrived and unconvincing. DO NOT BELIEVE THE HYPE - this film is poor, at absolute best its around 4/10. I am giving it a 1/10 for a number of reasons. 1 - the number of 10/10 is ridiculous not many films deserve 10/10 and this film certainly does not. 2 - the hype lead me to believe this film would be incredible, its not, this caused great disappointment for me. As other top critics have said this film is shallow and a fun popcorn flick. If you like comic books then its almost certainly for you. If however you like intelligent film making with well developed characters which is well paced - go watch something else.
  89. Mar 8, 2013
    A horrible movie, definitely did not deserve the money it made. I can't think of a lot of things that I actually liked about the movie, because there really aren't a lot. I was actually surprised at the story of the movie, it sounds like a mentally challenged child wrote it. The first ten minutes of the movie alone ruined it, it's just a horrible story that only idiots would like. TheA horrible movie, definitely did not deserve the money it made. I can't think of a lot of things that I actually liked about the movie, because there really aren't a lot. I was actually surprised at the story of the movie, it sounds like a mentally challenged child wrote it. The first ten minutes of the movie alone ruined it, it's just a horrible story that only idiots would like. The entire movie is pretty much just special effects and not much else. Unless you're one of those morons whose easily amused by the pretty lights on the screen, don't ever watch this movie. Expand
  90. Nov 27, 2013
    He did not like much. I expected much better. The film was highly overrated, no epic, no emotion, nothing was a cinch. People are very rare, then criticize the serious films like Man of Steel and The Dark Knight Rises, the truth is that this is awesome.
  91. May 8, 2012
    I think that the movie was a bit slow at first but then picked up a bit near the end. I did not enjoy the movie as much as everyone told me I would. I thought it was very okay compared to the other superhero movies. Some of the jokes they made were funny, but others were very lame. I just think that they may have relied a little too much on the effects rather than the story. I did not feelI think that the movie was a bit slow at first but then picked up a bit near the end. I did not enjoy the movie as much as everyone told me I would. I thought it was very okay compared to the other superhero movies. Some of the jokes they made were funny, but others were very lame. I just think that they may have relied a little too much on the effects rather than the story. I did not feel attached to any of the characters. Perhaps the only character I felt was the most fun to watch was Bruce Banner who played the Hulk. They are all amazing superheroes individually, but I did not feel the chemistry between them as a team. Expand
  92. May 26, 2012
    Please answer this question: "What was the plot of this film?" If you can't sum it up in three sentences, please review the legitimacy of this film. When I watched it, I thought with dull sensations, 'Man, this is entertaining, this is cool. Hey, look, the Hulk is about to turn....into the Hulk!" But that was it. I'm no 'hipster' as the 'cinema-jew' says would only trash on the film.Please answer this question: "What was the plot of this film?" If you can't sum it up in three sentences, please review the legitimacy of this film. When I watched it, I thought with dull sensations, 'Man, this is entertaining, this is cool. Hey, look, the Hulk is about to turn....into the Hulk!" But that was it. I'm no 'hipster' as the 'cinema-jew' says would only trash on the film. I'm a rational human being. Seriously, what is the film's plot!!!! Alien-warriors from a parallel universe team up with a demi-god who's supposed to be swirling in a blackhole, bent on conquering earth FOR NO APPARENT REASON?!?!?!?! What? This plot seems created by a toddler. It makes no sense. There are so many plot-holes (Ex: Why did Iron Man attack Thor when he knows about the Avengers in the first place? And why did Thor ever get the ability to beam down back to Earth?!?!?!) that it makes me feel stupid from watching it. The characters work well together and I enjoyed the comedic elements of the film, only because I felt they were making fun of their selves. This is the bane of American stupidity. And it's grossing millions! Expand
  93. Jun 3, 2012
    This was the worst movie I have seen this year. I generally do not like comic book super hero films but this one really was dreadful. The plot was stupid, the acting was stupid, the aliens were stupid, the street scenes were stupid, and I was stupid for going. Captain America, give me a break! Why did Ruffalo and Renner appear in this piece of garbage? This is what audience crave? Thor andThis was the worst movie I have seen this year. I generally do not like comic book super hero films but this one really was dreadful. The plot was stupid, the acting was stupid, the aliens were stupid, the street scenes were stupid, and I was stupid for going. Captain America, give me a break! Why did Ruffalo and Renner appear in this piece of garbage? This is what audience crave? Thor and his hammer! God, I was sick to my stomach. Expand
  94. May 4, 2012
    This is an incredible film! There wasn't a single point in the film that I didn't enjoy. Plenty of action and brilliant one liners, plus some unexpected laughs. The build up of the individual characters becoming the Avengers was really well done, and I quite like the fact that Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) and Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) got a fair amount of screen time amongst the biggerThis is an incredible film! There wasn't a single point in the film that I didn't enjoy. Plenty of action and brilliant one liners, plus some unexpected laughs. The build up of the individual characters becoming the Avengers was really well done, and I quite like the fact that Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) and Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) got a fair amount of screen time amongst the bigger names. I didn't recognise Mark Ruffalo from any other films, but he does a great Banner/ Hulk, possibly even better than Edward Norton!

Even if you haven't seen any of the other Avenger 'intro' films, and aren't a huge fan of comics, this is a must see film! Loads of action and comedy for everyone to enjoy themselves.
  95. May 5, 2012
    Entertaining Movie, but the plot was lacking. when there was no action the movie was on the boring side. They were trying to build some conflict between characters, but there just wasn't that much. There was a little as far as the main character vs Shield but that was it. If they could have build the tension between the Main Characters and actually made it real tension not just someEntertaining Movie, but the plot was lacking. when there was no action the movie was on the boring side. They were trying to build some conflict between characters, but there just wasn't that much. There was a little as far as the main character vs Shield but that was it. If they could have build the tension between the Main Characters and actually made it real tension not just some simple disagreements then the Movie would have been better. The action is some of the best I've seen but the plot makes it tough for me to give anything higher then a 7 Expand
  96. May 4, 2012
    I just finished watching the midnight showing and I want to say that this movie is in my top three. It is definitely the best Marvel film yet. All of the characters get equal time on-screen and none are down played. The best parts about this movie were the action, hilarious comedy and of course, the Hulk.
  97. May 9, 2012
    Typical pro military movie with the most outrageous waste of money possible - a flying aircraft carrier. It doesn't even make sense...what's the point?
  98. May 5, 2012
    The Avengers is a fantastically exciting superhero extravaganza. The movie nails all of it's components right. The dialogue fizzes with pithy putdowns and roaring comebacks, the characters are all well defined (even the likes of new-comers Black Widow and Hawkeye) and the action scenes are exciting and easy to follow. Put simply, The Avengers is one of the funniest, most exciting comicThe Avengers is a fantastically exciting superhero extravaganza. The movie nails all of it's components right. The dialogue fizzes with pithy putdowns and roaring comebacks, the characters are all well defined (even the likes of new-comers Black Widow and Hawkeye) and the action scenes are exciting and easy to follow. Put simply, The Avengers is one of the funniest, most exciting comic book movies ever made. Expand
  99. May 4, 2012
    An abundance of exhilarating set-pieces , solid performances and a thoroughly engrossing emotional emphasis ensures that The Avengers stands tall as a marvel among superhero films .

1. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    May 8, 2012
    The banter has zip, the effects are fun, the climactic battle is decently spectacular, and if the 3-D is mostly expendable, there are a few scenes where it adds a nice kick.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    May 4, 2012
    This mania is what Marvel followers have hungered for, and it would be fruitless to deny their delight. As Loki says to a crowd of earthlings, "It is the unspoken truth of humanity that you crave subjugation." We do, Master, we do.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    May 4, 2012
    They're fascinating characters, to be sure, with back stories ripe for development. But Whedon doesn't commit here, and the results are shrug-worthy.