7.9

1. Jun 9, 2012
    BEST **** HERO MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    But bad choice of a villian.
  2. May 25, 2012
    An overall great film. Amazing special effects, well fleshed-out characters, good dialouge, and aside from a couple slow spots, it has action from beginning to end.
  3. May 27, 2012
    Thrilling action sequences, a rideable (if simplistic) plot, compelling characters and easily the funniest quips and one-liners ever featured in an action movie. It's unbelievable the extent to which this movie has lived up to (and even surpassed) the unabashed hype train that's been building up since 2008's Iron Man. Anyone who doesn't like this film is either lying or depressed, friendless f*cks. This is, simply put, the best superhero movie of all time. "What's that?" :O "Better than The Dark Knight?" OF COURSE NOT YOU IGNORANT F*CKS. But Batman isn't really a superhero, he's just a well-trained, resourceful, intelligent motherf*cker with an intimidating voice and costume. Far from the over-the-top-abandon-all-pretense-of-realism characters of Thor, Hulk or Iron Man. This film deserves all the praise it gets and then some, a true...MARVEL (*Badum-Tsh*) Expand
  4. May 9, 2012
    An amiable way to while away...how long was it? I found it less engaging than either Iron Man 1 or Thor, and whilst the dialogue interludes were welcome relief from all that crashing and banging, they didn't really go anywhere to help create believable characters. Not the point, perhaps: you can't create 'belief' in demi-gods and superheroes who are, to all intents and purposes, indestructible, by endowing them with mortal failings like arrogance, brotherly love, rage, patriotism and a desire to set the record straight?

On the plus side, Mark Ruffalo's Hulk; stupendous effects (undermined by their ruthless efficiency - they're not special anymore) and a couple of good belly laughs; Scarlett Johansson in leather...
  5. Jul 14, 2012
    This movie. This movie right here. Iron Man being awesome will be more than enough to entertain you. Personally, I was apparently the only one who thought Hulk was BY FAR the best part of this film. I felt like they just nailed it with that character both as Bruce and the Hulk. We've already seen Iron Man but this was the first really good Hulk. There were points where I actually clapped out of sheer excitement and joy, and I never react like that to a film. On that basis alone I'm giving this a 10. It may not have the best plot. It may be a bit cheesy. Some of the characters feel like a waste of time. But I have NEVER had that positive an experience in a theater. Therefore, ALL THE POINTS. Expand
  6. Sep 30, 2012
    Very overrated movie. The story was not as good as other super hero movies like batman but the action kept it alive. Worth seeing but don't expect it to blow your mind.
  7. Oct 14, 2012
    Less than impressed with this film given its stellar reviews upon release. It is one of those not so rare cases of style over substance, the style being fight scenes and blowing stuff up before coming to an inevitable conclusion of saving the world together and going their separate ways. The attempts at comedy are laboured and obviously, like the film, directed at a popcorn chomping audience where films are to be enjoyed with minds switched off. The emotional climaxes in the film also seemed contrived and insincere, as is the case with many big budget films lacking in story and human connection. Firstly are we really meant to care about agent coulson dying merely because we are told 20 minutes before he died he ideolized captain america? And secondly what is the point in pretending to kill off iron man when all of the audience has seen that moment in the trailer a million times when the hulk catches iron man out of the sky and destroys a building in the process? Obviously they were not going to sacrifice a main character in this kind of a film when the secondary ones will suffice for audience emotional interaction. Joss Whedon, a genius, really? Expand
  8. May 17, 2012
    It was funny, awesome, and just plain fun. You will enjoy it even if you know nothing about comics. Hulk. Ya? Smash.
  9. May 31, 2012
    well , i had nothing to say about this film ,
    because this film was...................
    awesome !
    impressive !!
    and funny !!!
    i love the part where hulk smash loki !

BEST SUMMER MOVIE EVER IN 2012 !
  10. Jan 22, 2013
    Considering the number of movies that came out this year, the Avengers stand near the top of the list. It balances the creation of the superheroes with the dynamic of peoples whom all would have such huge egos having to come together as a team. The comedy is amazing and creates that sense of distrust between the superheroes due to these egos. The invasion at the end is somewhat ruined by the "Phantom menace Droid Army Syndrome" but beyond that was a solid movie. Expand
  11. May 4, 2012
    i thought the movie combined all the strong points of the movies it was based on. i didn't think i could make it any better.
  12. Jul 17, 2012
    With every superhero movie there has to be spectacle, its just a given. The fighting, the actors, everything has to be visually stunning. The problem with superhero movies is that a director (or even to an extent a writer) can get so wrapped up in making the film surprising in its aesthetics that it fails to give the film the emotional resonance you can find all too easily in the comics these characters come from. Luckily for anyone thinking about going to see the Avengers (who are we kidding, most of you are) Joss Whedon (Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Firefly/Serenity) understands the characters he is directing. He understands what makes them tick, why they fight, who they are as people and as heroes. The writing (by Whedon and Zak Penn) is equal parts powerful and hilarious allowing for levity in a story filled with impeding doom. The story isn't overly complicated to follow and the film never loses momentum (even at its gigantic run time of 2 hours and 25 minutes) keeping you entertained for the entire run. The reintroduction of the key cast members is well paced while introducing some much needed personality to characters that failed to receive any in their own origins movies (Captain America, I'm looking at you). Don't get me wrong, the movie isn't all talking. Over half of the film is action (as you would expect) but the action never feels shoehorned in like it did in Iron Man 2 or The Incredible Hulk. The incredible set pieces look fantastic thanks to some undeniably imaginative direction by Whedon who puts the 220 million dollar budget to good use with some incredibly clever shots, especially towards the end of the film. The film is smart, funny, beautiful and services every single Avenger, including some of the until now overlooked ones such as Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow, Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye (who up until this point has had literally one line in Thor) and Samuel L Jackson's Nick Fury. That being said, the characters you are going to go see the movie for are still the same dynamic leads you remember them to be from Robert Downey Jr's genius playboy Tony Stark to Chris Hemsworth's arrogant yet loveable Thor. It's not just the best superhero movie of the year (of which we can expect many like the new Spiderman and The Dark Knight Rises), its the best superhero movie ever, and this is coming from someone who thinks the world of Batman Begins. It's not only worth a watch, its worth several. However if you are going to go and see it, check out the cheaper and much more striking 2D version as the film is much brighter and undeniably more vivid. Enjoy. Expand
  13. Jul 21, 2012
    Generic and predictable plot. Some characters like Black Widow and Hawkeye were uneeded. Although, it does have some nice and expensive special effects and okay action scenes.
  14. May 13, 2012
    I kept hearing this movie sucked over and over, but it doesn't, in fact It's pretty good. The story had a good level of clarity and didn't do anything that contradicts the comics and other media too badly, the biggest complaint I have is the bad guys in the movie are a little lame.
  15. May 14, 2012
    When Iron Man or Hulk was on screen it was awesome. The only good actor was the guy who played Hawkeye.

Every time Captain America was on-screen it was painfully bad. It was good an bad at the same time.
  16. May 13, 2013
    This is last year's summer blockbuster. The Avengers has its moments and you won't fall asleep, but it is a bit too busy, probably because it has five or six superheroes too many, including two from Norse mythology. I'm not sure that Loki and Thor count as superheroes. Thor is the Norse god of thunder; in this film, he is frequently depicted wielding a gold oversized hammer that looks like a giant dreidel. Loki is, according to mythology, a rather weird loner of a god who causes all kinds of mischief, and he is famous for being a shapeshifter, an attribute which is not explored in this story. In this film, Loki is the mad genius who wants to destroy the world, the typical villain that turns up in every superhero movie from Batman to Austin Powers to the T-Rex in Jurassic Park. In Norse mythology, Loki is constantly fouling things up, and he is not a nice god, but he doesn't have enough ambition or smarts to try to destroy the planet.

For example, in a famous mythological scene, Odin, the chief god, is on planet Earth strolling along to pay a respectful visit the King of the Dwarves. Odin is accompanied by Loki and another god. The King's son is also a shapeshifter, and the son is lounging by the stream in the shape of an otter. Loki sees the otter, and all he can think is “lunch,” so while Odin walks on ahead, Loki stops to kill the otter, throw it over his shoulders, and then give the poor Dwarf King a real shock when he enters the house a few minutes behind Odin, carrying some delectable meat. This causes Odin all kinds of problems, as he then has to find a way to give the Dwarf King restitution for the death of his son. Tom Hiddleston as Loki does a very good portrayal of unrelenting evil, but the relation to the mythological Loki is weak.

Even Robert Downey Jr. gets lost in the sauce, since his Iron Man has much less screen time here than what he's used to, and he's sharing the set with too many other A-listers. Downey is a little out of shape in this film, a state he seems to have recently corrected, but the main problem is that Iron Man as a team player doesn't seem to work. Mark Ruffalo's the Hulk is so hulking and destructive that he gets on your nerves. He's a bull in a china shop, and his massive destructiveness is a little annoying. The pleasant surprise is Scarlett Johansson as the Black Widow. Her best scene is when she's tied to a chair and is seemingly being interrogated, if not tortured, but in fact she is the one conducting the interrogation by asking a lot of questions while perceived as being in a state of bondage from which she cannot escape. When she has to answer her cell phone, she drops the ruse, beats everybody up, and gets back to the office. That scene is worth the rest of the movie.

The film is entertaining on a somewhat juvenile level, but given that it made over a billion dollars, the producers are obviously not concerned about high art with respect to this genre.
  17. May 4, 2012
    "The Avengers" is thoughtful, funny, charming, consistent, and balances quiet moments with extremely clear and well executed action scenes. Some critics have talked about Samuel L. Jackson's glue for the superhero team, but Clark Gregg's Agent Coulson is the true glue, the one character that brings heart to the parade.

All of the characters are a marvel to watch, they each continue their
    story arcs as introduced in previous films, no time is wasted on exposition, and The Hulk finally gets to shine in a brilliant performance by Mark Ruffalo. Robert Downey Jr. is hilarious as always, and matching his timing and talents with the words of Josh Whedon is like marriage made in a heavenly hell. Nice stuff! Other characters become slightly minor, but all of them have their moments. My whole family left the theatre with a smile on our faces. Expand
  18. May 6, 2012
    A simply magnificent movie. Perfect blending of story and action, screen never feels overcrowded with action ( such as in transformers) Some of the funniest scenes I've seen in a movie in years. The unbelievably low rating average is from pompous critics who almost certainly decided not to like the movie well before they saw it. If you THINK you will like it, you will love it. If you think you wont like it, you will, and if you think you will hate it, well you are probably an ass anyway. Expand
  19. May 9, 2012
    This movie is by far the best start to the summer movie season we've had in a LONG time. Everything was perfectly timed and the cinematography was stunning. Some of the best 3D work since Hugo. Robert Downey Jr was completely on top of his game in this movie. He has taken the character of Tony Stark and taken him to a WHOLE NEW LEVEL!! This movie was big and epic and its the way it should've been!! Would almost want to see it again but only in IMAX, but Dark Shadows comes out next week, so it looks like a one and done deal for me until I purchase it on 3D Blu Ray.

In closing, if you havent seen this movie yet, get out there and see it. You'll laugh, applaud, and cheer right till the very end. Also, FYI, stay til after the end of the credits for a special treat!
  20. OMM
    May 7, 2012
    This is a great summer movie period. Take your kids get and prepare to be absolutely amazed. I haven't seen effects this real since the first Jurassic Park.
  21. Feb 19, 2013
    This film is not as good as everyone said it was. It is quite bland, seemed somewhat lifeless and was backed up by a lacking storyline. But, it was quite good fun; despite the problems I had with the story, the acting was of a pretty high standard from most of the cast, particularly from the main antagonist of the film, who was creepy, strong and weak at all the right times, perhaps a little stale at times however. The music was forgettable, the action was good, but not outstanding, and even though every character got a good amount of time in the limelight, it felt like Iron Man and Black Widow's film. The film is very conventionally shot, no nice camera tricks or spectacular shots appeared in the movie, this is not so much a negative of the film: but it certainly could have been better. Overall though, The Avengers is a fun film, that will definitely appeal more to fans of the Avengers, but both the Amazing Spiderman and the Dark Knight Rises present a more appealing superhero movie for 2012. Decent fun, but flawed. 68/100. Expand
  22. Jun 11, 2012
    The action is almost as hardcore as Transformers and the story just as good as Iron Man. Its an unforgettably fun comic book film. You simply can't go wrong with 6 heros for the price of one.
  23. May 15, 2012
    Marvel's The Avengers is a fun movie. It's a +2hrs ride full of capes, suits and explosions. Just the type of entertainment you expect for the summer. It's not a deep movie, it's rather the opposite. The focus was on the Avengers coming together. While it was cliche usually, I enjoyed it. I knew what to expect, yet I watched it with pleasure. I think that's the point of such movies. You go to the cinema not expecting a masterpiece, but a good funride. We're presented with the obvious mid-movie crisis between the heroes and then the big fight with all of them fighting together. Cliche, but it's still nice to see Hulk alongside Iron Man :)

Whedon and his cast deliver. Most of it, at least.
    The movie is stolen by Ruffalo's Hulk. Peroid. He gets the funniest moments, with Thor coming in second. Suprisingly - Tony Stark (Downey Jr.) is only trying to be funny. I didn't laugh at any of his jokes and sometimes even felt a bit irritated.
    Hiddleston's Loki is believeable, while Evans is a complete and utter mistake. I just can't bring myself to liking this version of Captain America. Evans looks and acts in this movie like a dumbed-down 25 y.o. with muscles bigger than Thor's. Not my pair of shoes.
    Renner steals the dumbest scenes in the movie with his funny faces and acting seriously, while doing stupid things. The felt... unnecessary. Both of them, really. Well no. Black Widow served a purpose. As opposed to Cobie Smoulder's Maria Hill. If she was supposed to be the eyecandy, she surely didn't catch my eye.

Other major flaw is the forced 3D. My cinema didn't offer me the choice between 2D and 3D. And I regret that, because I watched about 30% of the movie with glasses off. It doesn't improve the experience, but on the contrary - makes the faster paced fight scenes blurry and hard to watch.

Whedon's humour is clearly visible throughout the whole thing and is a major strength of the movie itself. And again - Hulk steals it. Stark tries to be funny, but on majority of occasions fails.

I left the movie satisfied with the outcome. There were superheroes, big fights, laughs and Johansson in spandex (unfortunately 3D instead of pleasing the male audience did the opposite, blurred everything in closeups :( ).

If you wanted a movie with tons of your beloved comic heroes doing good, you get better. You get a well paced and executed picture, which clearly sets up the ground for sequels. And I, for sure, will be visting a cinema nearby to see it. Just as I will go to Iron Man 3 and Thor 2.

I will not go to Captain America 2, because Chris Evans is NOT my Captain America and at the same time is the biggest flaw of The Avengers. Pity, but we get Hulk, Iron Man and Thor to cover him up. And that's enough for me.

Assemble in a theatre near you and enjoy. As did I.
  24. May 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Only downside of this movie is the lack of a really good villain. The special effects, story and acting were all pretty well done. It's understandable that it's hard to focus on character development when you have so many heroes/main characters. The movie really relies on the audience member having already watched the 'prequel' movies: Captain America, Iron Man 1+2, The Incredible Hulk, Thor...otherwise you might not understand or relate to the main characters. Being a marvel fan, I recognize who the enemy is at the end of the movie...and if it's who I think it is (Thanos), the next movie will be pretty awesome as it counters my beginning argument of having a relatively weak villain. The movie also has some key parts that are pretty humorous apart from all the action. I think the fighting scenes were all very well done and is what I'd expect from a marvel movie and would even be pretty good as a comic (if it were drawn out). Overall 9-10. Be sure to watch AVX and 3D to get the most out of the experience. Expand
  25. May 7, 2012
    One of the best Superhero movies to date, has an almost perfect mix of Action, Drama, and Comedy. Most likely get a lot of hate for this but The Avengers to me blow The Dark Knight out of the water
  26. May 7, 2012
    This movie is the very definition of the word Blockbuster. It is the most fun I have had at the movies in a long time. The action was great. The movies was funny and moved at a brisk pace. Nuf said.
  27. May 17, 2012
    I WENT TO SEE THE AVENGERS WED, AND HAVE TO SAY I WAS THRILLED TO SEE IT. I WAS EXPECTING MORE ACTION THROUGHOUT THEWHOLE MOVIE,FROM START TO FINSH AND I DIDNT GET THAT.SO THAT WAS 1 DOWNER FOR ME.THE CHARACTERS WERE AWSEOME AND SO WERE THE EFFECTS, THE STORYLINE WAS KIND OF LAME.THEIR WERE PARTS THEY TRIED TO MAKE FUNNY AND WERENT.BUT I DID GET MY MONEYS WORTH. I THINK IT NEEDE SOMETHING-LIKE MAYBE WOLVERINE,SPIDERMAN,THEY ARE AVENGERS ALSO...WELL NEWER AVENGERS..I WOULD OF LIKE TO SEE MORE ACTION, MORE SUPER POWER TEAMWORK LIKE IN THE GAME ULTIMATE ALIANCE.IT IS A GOOD MOVIE TO TAKE YOUR KIDS TO SEE AND YOUR WIFE. Expand
  28. May 22, 2012
    I didn't like most of the prequels to The Avengers, I didn't like Iron Man 2, Thor and Captain America. So I was pleasantly surprised by The Avengers which is quite better. It is however a movie that I would never like to see again. It is awesome the first time, but there is nothing left once it's over. The sole value of the movie lies in its action scenes, and sometimes fun, sometimes not fun jokes here an there. So switch your brain off and enjoy, the entertainment is guaranteed. Once you've seen the action, you've seen all there is to see, and there is no point whatsoever to come back again to it. There is (as usual, sigh) some rubbish science talk that doesn't mean much and that shows how empty the plot is, so why bother including it at all? The movie could have been a bit shorter without it and without some other minor scenes, the action would have been more intense and the movie could only have been better. Anyway, I enjoyed it a lot, I didn't regret going to the cinema for once. Expand
  29. May 15, 2012
    I didn't think I could be invested in so many characters in just one movie. I love the idea that each of the avengers have had there own movies, and that made them more familiar to me for this movie. seeing them together was just amazing. I loved the dialogue between characters and the action. There were a lot of subtle fan service moments that were also accessible to people unfamiliar with the comics. I was never bored because there was always something going on, whether it's a great action sequence or banter between the characters. The Avengers is a movie I can watch now and for many years to come. Expand
  30. Jan 9, 2013
    I hate starting off a good review with a rant, but really? Comparing this movie to Transformers? Only league where this was the same as Transformers were the groundbreaking special effects, simple as that.
    Director Joss Whedon has created a film that has a mixture of all of our favourite fanboy fantasies, a near-perfect script in which the title characters, particularly (and as usual)
    Robert Downey Jr, i mean, who else but Whedon's dark yet comical understanding of the genre and Downey Jr's witty delivery could get away with labelling Thor (played by Chris Hemsworth) as "Point Break" or calling Clint 'Hawkeye' Barton (Jeremy Renner) Legolas? Simple little bows to other genres captivate this into a gloriously fresh and surprisingly funny film, and a wonderful beginning to more Avengers.
    The excellently diverse Tom Hiddlestone reprises his role as Thor's brother, Loki, who attempts to capture the Tesseract, which first appeared in Captain America (again played by Chris Evans).
    What differentiates this ensemble film from the rest? Well for starters, all our superheroes are on the same screen, Joss Whedon is clearly not afraid to lend screen time to develop other stories, particularly Renner's Hawkeye and the return of Scarlett Johansson's delectably dangerous Black Widow. We also see the return of the most fearsome, yet difficult hero of them all, the one we have yet to see a favourable film about, Hulk. Taking over from Ed Norton,we see Mark Ruffalo taking the reigns, and quite honestly the dialogue between him and Downey Jr is not to be missed or forgotten. The interactions between all characters is unmissable. Phil Coulson returns and his as deadpan hilarious as ever, lining himself to play a pivotal role in the film.
    what please me the most watching the Avengers was how Whedon has expertly divided the screen time between all our heroes, while still maintaining a thriving story and not leaving the human characters out in the cold.
    The battle of Manhattan is stunning to watch,whether it was witnessing Iron Man bounce rays off Cap's shield to defeat enemies, Thor and Hulk teaming to fight the alien race or Black Widow and Hawkeye nitpicking with their respective skills, each member had a part to play, but it was indeed Ruffalo's Hulk who stole the show, his humorous 'other guy' stance regarding the Hulk, his nervous yet accepting persona and of course his dialogue with Tony Stark was just excellent. This was smart, sophisticated, funny, pop cultured and fun, everything Transformers wasn't. As my current re-watch favourite, this is easily the best superhero movie in a long while, suit up, grab your shield, hammer, and turn green, then watch, watch and watch again.
  31. May 14, 2012
    Excellent and very funny movie! All the main characters get some great lines, lots of good action, lots of fun.

Easily one of the best superhero movies in recent memory (excepting the amazing Batman reboot series).

Best. Line. Ever. "Clench up Legolas" (said by Ironman to Hawk-eye).
  32. May 9, 2012
    Be a hero and save America by seeing this movie. Best Marvel movie so far. There were some cheesy scenes but what do you expect? Its a comic book movie and not a graphic novel.
  33. May 7, 2012
    Read The Movie Spot review, wrote it myself, 5000 characters can't summarize how great this movie was. Link below:

34. May 7, 2012
    The best of the Marvel Superhero movies so far. The movie does a great job giving each guy a good moment. It's nice to see this movie FINALLY come together and be really good.
  35. May 16, 2012
    There is a reason why The Avengers is setting box office records, because its an awesome movie.

I am a long time Avengers comic book fan, I even have an Avengers Annual #1 from 1968.

The movies gets a little long winded in the middle as the group comes together. But when things get rolling, they "really" get rolling. In previous Marvel movies the heros have been under utilized. The
    Avengers breaks those bonds so that the heros can do their job. Expand
  36. May 9, 2012
    This was one hell of a difficult movie to pull-off; all those characters together makes it near impossible to create a cohesive story....well this movie made the impossible. We all thought that this was going to be Iron man 3 but the whole story is surprisingly balanced. Its not just balanced between all the characters but there is also balance in the action, comedy, drama and suspense. There's also a piece of the pie for the SHIELD agents, fury, widow and hawkeye all get great characters to play with. But the greatest of all is Phil Coulson he steals every scene he's in practically. Every piece of the plot piece is stitched together into this coherent and utterly mind blowing story. Obviously, the avengers needed a great villain and Loki is perfect for the job. The only real complaint is that the army that Loki allies himself with are not that up to standard... OK they have guns and a huge serpent/fish thing but they're nothing special. There isn't that CGI to match transformers, but hey its much more better that there is nothing similiar between the two. Expand
  37. May 12, 2012
    This is the type of film where if you don't take it seriously, and just sit back for the fun of it, you'll have a blast. It reminds me a little of Independence Day. The writing and characters are piss awful, but the sheer spectacle makes it fun enough to give a decent rating. If you go into the film wanting a fun action movie, then The Avengers provides, but if you want a sophisticated superhero movie like the Dark Knight, then save your money for the Dark Knight Rises. The film is difficult to score, but it is a blast to sit and watch. Go see it. Expand
  38. Aug 7, 2012
    Amazing, this movie was by far one of my favorite super hero movies, even though the plot was a little basic, the relationship between Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, and the Hulk was awesome. It's not like any of them were left out either, they all served a purpose, they all were in it just as much as everyone else. The Avengers was everything I had hoped for, an awesome funny actionpacked blockbuster movie that will stand the test of time. Joss Whedon who cowrote toy story was set to direct this and I have to say he did a fantastic job. The action scenes were amazing, the acting was off the charts and this was just great. An outstanding movie. Expand
  39. May 10, 2012
    This film was incredible. It had every thingI was expecting. Action, FX and a little bit of, no quite A LOT of humor!!!!!. the actors were excellent in this film. Especially Robert Downey Jr (Iron Man) and Chris Hemsworth (Thor). 10 out of 10!!!!
  40. May 21, 2012
    This is a fun, epic superhero movie. If you watch this movie in theater, you'll absolutely have a blast. For a full review, search up the user "TNShowbiz" on YouTube, and check out my review on The Avengers.
  41. Sep 20, 2012
    Brilliant mix of story, humour and action. Superheros the way they should be for all the family. Not as dark and nasty as recent batman movies. Not as soap opera as spiderman.
  42. May 24, 2012
    Overall the movie was very good. The visual effects were amazing, the cast did a great job, and the movie achieved the ultimate goal of any movie, to entertain. But, I think it's been slightly overrated by a large chunk of people calling it the best superhero movie ever, when I think The Dark Knight still holds that title. There are just a few moments were it seemed the plot was kinda stretched to the limits, like when Tony Stark figures out that Loki is at the top of Stark Tower based on absolutely nothing. Then there are the several awkward dialogue moments like when Cap. America says, "The last time I was in Germany and I saw a man standing above everybody else, we ended up disagreeing." This line literally made me cringe. But, hey, it's funny, its cool, and its got like 6 superheroes in one movie so its definitely worth seeing. Expand
  43. May 9, 2012
    This movie is definitely amazing and hilarious!!! is not just action is a lot of fun too!! you will leave the movie theater with a smile on your face, definitely a must see movie. This movie was amazing in every aspect, script acting, funny moments, character development, character interaction, special effects, the best superhero movie ever made PERIOD.
    Is the best movie i've seen in quite
    a while, and definitely the best of the superhero movie franchises.
    I would say a MUST SEE for everybody... no exceptions!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  44. May 11, 2012
    This movie is full of awesome. I enjoyed every minute of this movie. It was like watching comic book come to life. Joss Whedon knows how to bring a ensemble cast together and make you want to know what going on with every character.
  45. May 30, 2013
    I'm not gonna lie, this movie was absolutely amazing! Also, if I'm being completely honest, I went in assuming it would be another highly overrated superhero movie that couldn't like up to the hype. It definitely wouldn't be the first time I disagreed with the critics. Boy was I mistaken. Outside of the films from Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy, this is easily the best superhero movie ever made. They plot developed perfectly, the action sequences were incredible, there were a lot of unexpectedly humorous scenes and dialogue, and the characters and actors were all great. One of my concerns going in was how they would possibly give each character their fair shake. Well the great Joss Whedon did a great job keeping a perfect balance between staying true to the individual characters while further introducing a developing Black Widow and Hawkeye. Another thing, Mark Ruffalo did a marvelous job as Bruce Banner. A lot of people were worried about him in that role and were upset about the change from Edward Norton. Maybe it's because I'm biased and loathe Norton but I thought Ruffalo did a better job as Banner. I wouldn't have minded them focusing a little more time on the Hawkeye character and I wouldn't have minded if they actually squeezed in Natalie Portman's character for a quick scene or two but the movie really didn't need it. I just think if you can put Portman on screen, you put Portman on screen, lol. I also wouldn't have minded if they focused a bit more on the villainous pawns and where they come from but I have a feeling we'll find out more about them in the following Avengers sequels so I can't be too upset about that. All in all, if you like superhero movies, action movies, or just kick ass movies in general, you should like this movie too. Expand
  46. May 15, 2012
    Digital Money Maker

This is the crash! Bang! Wallop! movie of the year. It's digital, it's funny, it's stupid and it's in 3D -the first must see, post Avatar. Only if you don't know who each character is, or haven't seen their movies, you may be at a loss to follow (as if that matters).

Loki (see Thor) has made a deal to get revenge on Thor and the Earth (of course) by getting some
    ridiculous source of power to some very bad aliens. All of the Marvel heroes - flawed heroes all - have to first unite, then trounce the invaders. And they do and you know they will.

The script is way above average for this kind of film - think Iron Man witty. The cast is top notch - especially Mark Ruffolo (Hulk), Downey (Iron Man) and the redoubtable Samuel L. Jackson as the team leader (Fury). No doubt, Jackson has replaced Morgan Freeman as the black American god who can do no wrong. The effects are as good as they get, as long as you can focus your eyes. It is often like putting your head in a washing machine with 3D glasses on.

Joss Whedon wrote, directed and probably gave birth to this film all on his own, and he makes a good fist of it. Despite it's enormous length - 147 minutes of popcorn chomping, it keeps your attention and never takes itself too seriously. I only wish that poor Jeremy Renner (Hawkeye) will take a serious part next - you know, like in Hurt Locker and the Town - to balance his all action man roles.

This film cost a fortune and will make a fortune. Trust me
  47. May 19, 2012
    I've always been a fan of Joss Whedon ever since I saw Firefly, a television show of his that was unfortunately canceled. So when I say I liked it, that's not much of a surprise. But I didn't like it just because he directed it. The action was stylish and fun, and it was a whole lot better than one of the previous Marvel comic book movies, Thor. This should be the inspiration for later Marvel movies, along with the new Captain America: The First Avenger. Not only did it have some excellent action scenes, it was also humorous, with a certain level of seriousness. Would I recommend heading to theaters to see it? Well, yeah. But if you're a person that just isn't sure about it, or who maybe isn't a fan of the comics, by all means, rent it from Redbox, Blockbuster, Netflix, or any other movie rental company you go to. Expand
  48. Aug 24, 2014
    I've seen this movie four time by now, so I think it is time for some kind of review. (One of said viewings was in 3D, my first ever, and I must say I much more prefer the old-fashioned 2D version since 3D made the action scenes - especially the Hulk - appear very blurry and threatened to give me a bit of a headache.

As a fan of the previous Marvel movies, the last of which I checked
    out in order to enjoy the Avengers experience to the fullest (Iron Man, Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America), I appreciated the finer points of story telling and jokes that took a lot from the other parts in the series. There were plenty of references, I think, and I cannot imagine how well some of the jokes land or character chemistries work without prior knowledge of what they're based on.

I haven't read the comics (although I fully intend to get my hands on them somehow), so I cannot say how "accurate" this was (or any of the previous films), but all I can say is that the cast chosen to play this unruly team of Earth's Mightiest Heroes is fantastic. I'm a Tony Stark fangirl, no denying it, but damn! the others really don't make me yawn with boredom and wait for Robert Downey Jr.'s next appearance on screen: they stand very well on their own. Period.

And Mark Ruffalo IS the Hulk. Period on that too. Watching him twist his hands and smile and try to back away into the shadows is adorable and in a way breath-taking in its own way, because we all know what's lurking inside him, and it's almost a shame when he turns into a green rage monster. Almost...

Perhaps the best feature to the movie is indeed the strife between the heroes, who are not compatible in the slightest, but as heroes tend to, they work together pretty well to avert a crisis when they face one together. Still, the classic fights between team-mates almost beat seeing them destroy a few (hundred) enemies.

The camera work, set design, lighting and colors are all perfect. They create a world, a very real one, and give it its own signature. The music, too, when you notice it, melts perfectly to the background, other than in those moments when it rises higher, giving the scene more depth, more kick.

Tom Hiddleston as Loki is, for a lack of a better word, a bit disturbed, but executes his part as a villain pretty well. He's determined, and he is one step ahead of the team the whole time, although the petulant child is peeking out from between his teeth every now and then, waiting to be allowed to throw a temper tantrum. And it works.

The story progresses nicely, weaving the heroes together (the only small minus is Thor's rather sudden appearance, and although we can see where it's coming from, and dragging it out may have not worked very well, it still seems like a shortcut).

There's plenty of humor, for which I love Joss Whedon; this reminds me a lot of his movie "Serenity", with its pace and light-heartedness, but total seriousness as well. It's a fine balance, and it absolutely works.

All in all... this is fast rising to be one of those movies I wouldn't mind seeing several times a year, or perhaps a month, just to keep the smiles and laughs coming.
  49. May 15, 2012
    After Thor movie I lost all hope for next awesome comic book based movie, so I wasn't so excited about Avengers... till I saw the movie. Avengers is mix of action, comedy and one of the most popular marvel characters. But there is one problem... story is too cliche. Aliens (extra-dimensional beings) trying to destroy the world and superheroes are going to save it. Nevertheless movie is fun and looks incredible in IMAX. I would certainly give this movie 10 if not the story fail, so it gets 9. Now let's just hope that Dark Knight Rises won't have similar problem. Expand
  50. May 9, 2012
    ONE OF MY FAVORITE MOVIES EVER! Hands down the best movie I have seen this year. From acting, to the plot, to the effects, this film has it all. I feel Mr. Whedon has taken the comic book movie to a new level. It doesn't hurt that the movie has several of our childhood heroes either. This just shows what happens when you put the right people in the right situation. HULK SMASH!!!
  51. May 9, 2012
    If you're not into going green this summer then you will be when you see the HULK close the show and Robert Downy Jr -Stark steal the show. Its like seeing Bruce Lee, Matrix, Transformers and X-Men mashup. Not a Mona Lisa or as philosophical and scientific as Leonardo Divinci but it makes a hell of an abstract Picasso to wow you. -Derrick
  52. Aug 23, 2012
    The only time I review movies on this site is when I see a spectacular movie. But this one just blew me away. Previously only watched Iron Man and Hulk I didn't know what else to expect apart from a mechanical suit and an angry gamma radiated monster. With the addition of 4 other superb characters it turned Avengers into a superb showpiece. The directing was appropriate for the given task and gave audience the feeling that you're part of this mission to save the world. Special effects and action makes this ANOTHER one of those superhero movies, but is it really worth the hype. It certainly is and the box office proves it too. Expand
  53. Dec 17, 2013
    A fun ride. Favorite parts were the physics ideas in action scenes. Least favorite part was the lack of focus, how everything just kept moving on so fast you never really got to reflect about anything. Also, the setup with the energy source that is also super dangerous reminded me of The Dark Knight Rises and I had overall seen a lot of the ideas before. The movie could have established sympathy with the heroes or with civilians, instead it asks you to automatically feel for humanity or New York or whatever. I honestly didn't, so it never crossed over into an emotionally engaged territory. But yeah, it's fun I guess. Expand
  54. JTD
    May 8, 2012
    Loved it. Probably the best Marvel movie yet. I thought the plot made sense and every character had a purpose.

I have to say, I was not terribly stoked about this after I saw Joss Whedon was behind this. I probably enjoyed it more going into it expecting much less.
  55. Zal
    Dec 14, 2012
    Well, it's The Avengers. I shouldn't have to say more. But I will.

I haven't seen the superhero movies leading up to this. I've only seen the Hulk sequel (the Edward Norton one), Iron Man, and Thor. While there were times when I was lost, I could follow this movie's plot. I need to seen Iron Man 2 since it has Nick Fury and Black Widow.

LOKI! I'm not one of those crazy obsessive Loki
    fangirls, but I loved Loki in this movie. That being said, I still found it hilarious when the Hulk picked him up and slammed him around. Funniest part of the movie.

What's good about this movie is that it strikes a good balance between comedy and drama. Joss Whedon knows the Avengers don't need the Dark Knight treatment and wisely did not go that route. But wasn't unbelievably cartoony and silly either. It knew when to be serious and when to make the audience laugh.

The characters were fun and each actor played the role well. Hawkeye didn't get much to do but it it got Jeremy Renner in a tight outfit. Good enough for me! The newest addition to the cast was Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk. He fit the role unbelievably well. Makes sense since Ruffalo has proven time and again that he's a fantastic actor.

There isn't much else for me to say about this. See it if you haven't already.

One more thing: Coulson lives!
  56. Aug 28, 2012
    The Avengers: A messy film that does little to appeal to the non pre-existing comic fans. Struggles to fit a coherent narrative between the action scenes.

While action is pretty, The Avengers never seems to quite know what to do with so many main characters. Making huge assumptions that the viewer already knows each character's arc, they bypass any arc entirely and just have them
    fighting a lot.

Even Transformers 3, a movie I found very messy and tough to watch, manages to have a pretty coherent and linear story, that just tries to do a few things too many. But The Avengers seems to decide to leave behind linearity and a character arcs, and just let chaos happen.

The best Marvel film for me is still Iron Man, as it plays with strong character arcs, a progressive and interesting plot, with a sense of 'realistic' special effects and the 'super hero' notion is dialled down a bit.

If you want super hero movies with a plot, try Batman Begins, The Watchmen Director's Cut, and to a more minimal extent Superman 2: Donner Cut.
  57. May 17, 2012
    This is easily the best Marvel film to date, one of the best action movies of all time, the best effects we have yet to see, and a film that is worthy of a few Oscar nods (and a definite win for visual effects). Straightforward script, flawless acting, and smooth direction make The Avengers one of the best films of 2012. Odin Score: 95/100 (subject to change after a much needed second viewing).
  58. May 6, 2012
    The story wasn't elite but it didn't need to be. The story to me was better than I expected and the action scenes didn't disappoint. The thing that impressed me about this movie more than anything else is how seemlessly the characters interacted. The characters never lost sight of who they were the whole movie, and the script did an excellent job at having them interact with each other exactly how I thought they would interact. No hero stole the movie and none were snubbed, they all got even air time and they all flashed their powers. I saw this movie twice opening weekend, it was that good. Expand
  59. Aug 28, 2012
    The intro is a little rough but the rest of the movie goes rather smoothly and it ends up a pretty good film and one that is definently worth watching. I enjoyed it.
  60. Aug 21, 2012
    This movie was amazing, anyone giving it less than a 5 is completely tasteless. This was exactly what it was supposed to be. A funny, action packed, special effect, comic book, nerdgasm. The story line was just enough to keep the storyline boys interested, it makes great use of the previous story lines well. It makes sure to stay true to the root of all the heros.
  61. May 8, 2012
    I won't say that I am a fan of the entire movie, but it certainly was the most intense and action packed superhero movie I have ever seen. I have never been so genuinely excited to partake in an adventure with heroes and villains before. I loved that the action was easy to watch, and the dialogue never truly became cheesy and cliche. The beginning could be a bit better, but the massive battle for the last hour of the movie certainly makes up for its smaller mistakes. I loved the Hulk, Iron Man, and Black Widow. Great job, much better than I expected! Expand
  62. Jun 25, 2012
    Everything about this movie is slick and classy, from the dialogue to the action sequences (which I must also say are 10 times better than in other action films I have seen throughout the years). The plotline is actually sophisticated (praise the lord!) and therefore the movie doesn't need to treat the viewers like dummies (seriously, could I ask for anything more?) Particularly impressive is how well the film integrates the various stories regarding the different superheroes into one cohesive, kickass unit. And I mustn't forget that the film is fun. You'll have a blast watching it. It's entertainment at it's best. Did I mention the film is fun? Wait until after the credits for another scene that will make your viewing experience even better. Expand
  63. May 7, 2012
    Marvel's The Avengers is what the stuff of true blockbusters are made of. Usually with superhero movies, only a few of them truly transend the genre to new levels. But with Avengers, the film itself UPLIFTS the genre to new levels.This is a movie you don't want to miss. Go see it. Now.
  64. May 28, 2012
    This movie is pretty good even if your not a comic book fan. The story's plot is that Loki tries to become ruler of earth and uses the cube to do it. The acting is great, the camera shots are amazing, and the attention to detail is great. The way the play the roles of the hero's, villains, and even shield is great because they capture the personality of the comic book characters. They even throw in a few comedy in the movie so it doesn't feel like a non-stop action movie. If you know who the people are chances are that you'll enjoy the movie, but if you are lost you probably wont enjoy this movie Expand
  65. Jun 6, 2012
    Iron Man changed my expectations about how good superhero movies can be, still, I wasn't planning on watching this. However, with people making so much hype about I headed to the theater. The Avengers strongest element is it's action, all the battle scenes are great and are well paced. And the SPFX are spectacular to watch. As for the directing, you wont be disappointed as long as your not a cinephile. The cast performance are nothing special, I much rather see Mark Ruffalo in Shutter Island. Expand
  66. May 6, 2012
    Joss Whedon's action packed Marvel adventure The Avengers is a success in almost every way possible. With such a big cast and many important characters, juggling them all would be something hard to accomplish, making sure they all get their screen time and we get to see their point of view, but for Joss, making such movies to their fullest potential seems to be in his nature. The best part about The Avengers is that Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.), Thor (Chris Hemsworth), Captain America (Chris Evans), Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner), Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) and Loki (Tom Hiddleston) are all apart of this one (very best) Marvel blockbuster. Each with their own unique introduction (and all giving exceptional performances), you get the chills every time one is introduced and they continue throughout the movie. The Avengers initiative was something introduced to us in Iron Man 2 with our first look at Black Widow and Nick Fury, director of S.H.I.E.L.D., but it wasn't something ever forced until needed. Now that Loki, the god of mischief (brother of Thor, god of thunder) made Nick Fury very desperate, he has no choice to to initiate The Avengers. What brings Loki back? He still doesn't sit well with his adoptive bother having all of his glory with being king of Asgard and plans to destroy the world by stealing the Tesseract (a cosmic cube that can open to portal from planet to planet) and with his army of aliens.

The Avengers is taken at a steady pace, focusing on the heroes themselves and their relationships with each other developing (they don't like one another at first). While this goes on with the most necessary humor (I'm not being sarcastic) and some action between them we learn more about how Loki's plan is working with getting captured and unleashing his army and how The Avengers work together.

From beginning to end The Avengers is one of the most successful action packed comic book adaptations ever. You couldn't ask for more with everything it serves to fans of all ages. The visual effects are great as expected, and the action is the best I've seen. This was also the first time I could say that the Hulk was portrayed successfully in a way I'm sure almost everyone enjoyed.
  67. May 7, 2012
    Best movie I've seen so far out of 2012, with spectacular effects and all of my favorite Marvel characters clashing together. Oh lawd, this was a great movie.
  68. May 12, 2012
    There is too much mayhem in the movie for my taste, although the story line is quite interesting: getting a group of superheroes, whose styles and personalities essentially do not click together, to get one supremely difficult task done. And the Big Boss is a black man! I would have liked to see some other minority groups, i.e., Asians and Hispanics, take a part in this huge enterprise too.
  69. May 20, 2012
    Just Brilliant!
    The Action scenes are immense, the charakters are cool and interesting... the whole movie is total fun! I love how the different characters interact with each other. The movie doesn't try to be an intelligent Masterpiece but that's good because instead, it's giving you one awesome moment after another for the whole running time of 2 hours! Only a better Story could make
    this Masterpiece more perfect than it already is. It's very expensive, but I'm going to watch this movie a third time this week! Expand
  70. May 8, 2012
    Amazing movie, everything a comic/superhero fan could ask for. Joss Whedon does a great job bringing characterization to such a humongous cast in such little time. Everyone from the Hulk-Hawkeye got their moment to shine and win your heart. I can not wait for a sequel and want Joss to direct more Marvel movies.
  71. May 16, 2012
    If you didn't see the other 5 movies, go watch them first (even Hulk). The movie will taunt you with flashbacks to the old movies and you won't get to see the full character development. Having only been armed with the Iron Man movies, understanding of Norse Mythology, and basic background on the other heroes, I still got a good understanding of what was going on. However, the movie had a lot of elements from the other movies, specifically Thor. The movie's beginning is S.L.O.W, almost as slow as the first Willy Wonka. I'm not going to spoil the story, but don't worry, you'll forget about it. It's basically the Marvel formula: Bad thing happens, find hero(es), train, find bad guy, some one dies, attack on New York, save the day, New Yorkers go yay. As for the characters, it's hit and miss. Tony Stark and Loki are very enjoyable and witty, Captain America and Bruce Banner are alright, and everyone else is paper thin. Very little character development happens and by the end, the characters are still the same people. The final fight scene was as you think it would be. The effects are well done and the Hulk provides comic relief. My favorite scene by far was when Hulk was chasing Black Widow, though. Don't worry about the music, because you won't notice it. It's drowned out the the amazing amount of dialogue in this movie. Even in the fight scenes they can't shut up. There's no suspense whatsoever. Overall, I was very disappointed, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a good movie. But, if you want a good superhero experience, just go watch the Dark Knight again. Expand
  72. May 7, 2012
    Huge action, huge humour, huge actors. Never seen an epic movie like this. If you love action movies or comics, you'll love The Avengers ! Simply the best Marvel movie.
  73. May 11, 2012
    Best superhero movie in a long time! Exceeded my expecations. I was afraid theyde make some of the characters tacky, but it felt like they belonged. Ruffalo does an excellent Banner, after Norton i was pleasantly suprised. Just goes to show what Wheadon is capable of. Now the sequel better not be another revenge of the fallen milking i hope.
  74. Jun 8, 2012
    This movie isn't what it's all cracked up to be. I honestly didn't like it. The effects and what not was amazing but, the plot in general and the acting kind of pissed me off. But, In some cases I actually liked it.
  75. May 15, 2012
    First of all, the fact that the critics show a score of less than 80 for this film shows that these guys OBVIOUSLY do not know how to enjoy a good film. They spend so much time complicating knit-picky details in their nerdy little heads that it is IMPOSSIBLE for them to enjoy a TRULY GOOD film. And the fact that they rated it in the 60s screams a warning to anyone who will listen that SOMEONE needs to take their bongs away from them at least one week prior to going to see ANY movie upon which they will be writing a review. : Expand
  76. Aug 1, 2012
    Great movie. Funny, good action, good effects. Ruffalo surpassed Bana and Norton in the role of the Hulk. A good conclusion to the first saga of Marvel movies, and makes me wanting more and more.
  77. May 28, 2012
    This movie would have been a perfect 10 if the editing had been better. It was well written, funny, action packed. Everything that it needed to be. I loved it for the most part. But there are certain parts of the movie that really just didnt need to be there. It forced it to drag on too long at points and made me kinda just wanna get to the end.
  78. May 21, 2012
    This Movie has spoiled so many people because everything else looks like crap now. I was existed to watch the New Batman movie coming out but i couldn't care less about it now. I just hope this doesn't downgrade the single hero movies coming out like the next iron man or captain America. Lots of people talk about how grate Hulk was in the movie and now that i finally seen the movie i know what they're talking about , he was amazing. Thanks to the "GODS" characters in the movie Hulk didn't have to hold back like in the other Hulk movies but , I have to say my favorite with out a doubt was Thor !!!! Just like Hulk Thor wasn't pulling punches. He went full god mode in this movie. **** epic !!! OK so if their is one thing i didn't like was how Black widow was doing more then Captain America. I think she kicked more ass and had more camera time then they Captain America. I also liked the captain America suit he had in his own movie. The suit with the brown boots. It felt better then the suit he has now. They could have made it out of heavy leather and less bright. Other then that it was perfect , 9.5 out on 10 is my score Expand
  79. Aug 31, 2014
    With Joss Whedon at the helm, I expected much more. To bring all of The Avengers together in a single film is no easy task; nevertheless, I cannot help but feel as though it could've been better executed.
  80. May 8, 2012
    I was gitty about going to see the Avengers debut, and I was hopeful Whedon could pull off such a difficult task. This is basically a film where almost every one of the main heroes has been in the lead role. Just the fact that Whedon found a way to juggle these characters is amazing, and the film itself is a remarkable accomplishment on its own. With scenes seemingly torn from the comics themselves, its a blast to watch (i went to the theaters multiple times), and is the best Marvel film to date. Cannot wait for a sequel!!!

P.S. after credits scene, the second one, was hilarious. Great stuff
  81. Jan 7, 2013
    This is by far the best Marvel film released. It avoids the forced Hollywood romance plot while delivering copious amounts of Marvel fanservice. With the exception of Captain America, I feel that each of the Marvel characters had a chance to showcase their talents. Not only that, but there's a good amount of humor in this film as well.
  82. May 9, 2012
    First off, I would give this a 9.75 out of 10. Almost perfection. For sure one of the best superhero movies ever. Visuals are spectacular. It's truly a masterpiece how great this movie's visuals are. Acting is good. Everyone does a pretty good job. Story is real good. Also great script. It can be very funny. Music is real good. Overall, this is a great film that has almost everything. It's funny, full of action, full of awesomeness, and has 100% all fun. Everyone absolutely should go see it. You'll be making a great mistake not seeing this movie. It's really a great movie. Expand
  83. Jun 3, 2012
    I expected something entertaining yet, cliche filled. I thought it was going to be as bad as Captain America or Thor, but SURPRISE! my mind was blown by the effects, incredible story, hilarious jokes and flawless digital effects. The movie itself is without any doubts, a master piece
  84. Jan 9, 2013
    My main concern with The Avengers was, in encompassing all of the members, the film would be spread too thinly between the characters, resulting in a watered down attempt to integrate characters and personalities, a little like the X-men films. Thankfully this is not the case, although it's interesting that co-writer Zak Penn was involved in two of the X-men group films. Penn and Joss Whedon find enough screen-time for all the Avengers and by introducing them gradually through the film's opening third, sufficient emphasis is placed on each character. Similarly, I was disappointed when I discovered that the film's antagonist would be Loki, as I was not overly impressed with him in Thor. Again though, due to Hiddlestone's improved performance this time around and with Whedon's direction, I felt Loki was a much more interesting villain and one more fitting of the collective's film.

The team dynamic of between the superheroes is what really makes the film, alongside the blockbuster action sequences. Thor and Hulk clash, Captain America and Tony Stark routinely throw barbs at each other while Stark shows a surprisingly sincere side when offering support to Bruce Banner. Mark Ruffalo plays Banner with a sense of fear and regret of his destructive, uncontrollable power and I found him to be the most interesting character of the team. There's a slightly contrived back-story thrown in to give Hawkeye and Black Widow something of interest but its the funny moments between Stark and co. that gives the film its spark. Samuel. L. Jackson's brings his usual 'don't mess with me' cool factor and his larger role also benefits the movie. Being critical, I'm not sure the plot gave enough explanation as to why Banner returned to fight alongside the others after showing nothing but resistance to let 'the other guy' appear, or how he was able to control Hulk more effectively in contrast with the film's earlier events.

The so called Battle of New York finale is a really exciting well-directed battle, especially when you consider it's similarities to the frantic city battles Michael Bay treated us to in his Transformer films.

A genuine action blockbuster fit for it's cast.
  85. Jun 3, 2012
    loved the action coool and of course the comedy bit in film with thor and stark which really made me laugh and hulk part which i entirely laugh what he did to thor which crack me up.... good film i wait for blu ray movie did not find the captain america actor he was not good i did not find him to be all super hero or nothing just he thru that garbage lid to hurt his bad guys but rest of film was good Expand
  86. May 28, 2012
    Great action, effects, plot, actors...EVERYTHING!! The film blended all the great features from the other Marvel films and created something unique and wonderful.

And great humour :) love the character interaction- especially Tony Stark/ iron man/ loki XD It was a really great film, and i applaude all those involved in its making :)
  87. May 17, 2012
    Avengers Assemble! great action flick made better if you've seen the other hero movies and made best if you know comics along with what and who's coming for the next one wow!
  88. May 8, 2012
    First and foremost Hulk absolutely steals the show. He has the best moments and best character development. Awesome job. Second, the teaser at the end was so amazing I lost sleep. Third the film did an excellent time of showcasing the whole cast (a feat I didn't think they could pull off). Fourth I actually liked Captain America in this movie, I was bored to death by him in his own movie. The interaction amongst the characters was fast and clever, making more room for great action scenes to satisfy any Marvel fan Expand
  89. May 6, 2012
    I'm really glad how this turned out. I thought that it would take itself way too seriously, but it had some of the greatest jokes and one liners at the most dramatic moments that weren't completely inappropriate. If u have the money, go see this movie because it's a blast of fun from start too finish
  90. May 19, 2012
    Easily one of the best superhero-movies ever made! I was worried beforehand the movie would feel like a patchwork, what with there being so many "lead" characters. However, after seeing it, I can safely say that's not the case here. All the characters somehow get to have fantastic character-moments that really develop their personalities, something not many blockbuster films of this kind takes its time to do. Mind you, the action is there too, and it doesn't disappoint! Super-well choreographed fights that are easy to follow, and they always showcase the individual heroes powers and strengths superbly.
    All in all, if you like superhero movies, or just good adventures, I cannot recommend this film enough!
  91. May 11, 2012
    I thoroughly enjoyed watching this movie in the theater. That said, it was a bit on the long side and was just short of 2 hours and 30 minutes. Not sure what they could have cut out though.
  92. May 8, 2012
    Star filled lineup with perfect execution. The Avengers is probably the best action movie I have seen to date. All main characters acted and worked so well together it was great and the comedy mix was perfect. A perfect execution and amazing job by Joss Whedon, Zak Penn, and the cast and crew. (message me for my full evaluation)
  93. May 10, 2012
    I love this movie. My experience is based on the fact that I have seen the other Marvel movies to come out before this. Quite frankly, I was amazed at how coherent the plot was with so many characters on the screen at one time.

If you have NOT seen the prequel films to this one, I would HIGHLY recommend that you do. You are doing yourself a disservice.
  94. Jul 21, 2012
    Literally greatest comic book movie to date. And this is even having watched The Dark Knight Rises just last night to solidify my claim. A movie that never loses it's sense of heroes and the act of heroism is just as glorious as it is sacrificial. It is something to be cheered, not something to be mourned. A superhero film that actually follows the essence of a comic book instead of cower away from it in fear of fantasy. Expand
  95. May 9, 2012
    How many comic book based movies get it right? Not many. However, this one does and does it really damn well. When I went to see this, I half expected the movie to spend an hour getting everyone together for a the big finally which would last maybe 15 minutes. Thus, my expectations were low. Real low.

But, much to my surprise, they made that quick and easy. Most of the movie is action
    based. Even better, they still add a lot of plot to the movie as to not be on a one way track. The graphics are extremely impressive and you will find yourself arguing with friends about who your favorite hero was. Mine being Iron Man. Bam!

Overall, was it the best movie I ever saw. I don't know, maybe. The reality is, will you have fun when you go to see this? I say yes. So go drop some cash on popcorn and drinks. Sit back, relax and enjoy the action.
  96. May 6, 2012
    THIS IS PROBABLY MY FAVORITE MARVEL MOVIE NOW!!! The action is fast paced and well executed. I have always wanted to see all of the famous marvel characters come together so this was a treat. This is the start of Whedon's career.
  97. May 6, 2012
    To put it simply. Brilliant. we get to see development of characters in other movies like Thor and Stark. And a interesting combo of attitudes and egos within the avengers group, and allows the character to become more established. The movie is humorous, the action engaging and thrilling. In all you will come to the end of the movie and be think that was money well spent. It has to be one of the best movies I've seen so far this year. Collapse
  98. May 7, 2012
    i went to watch avengers with not very high hopes as getting 6-7 marvel characters in a single movies seemed like a perfect recipe for disaster at that time. but was i surprised big time and i mean big time!!. its better than iron man 1-2, captain america and both the hulk movies. this is by far the best comic to big screen adaptation and is in the same league as the batman reboot and the 1st transformer movie (part 2 and 3 were very big train wrecks). a must watch for anyone who like supeheroes beating the crap out of everything................... Expand
  99. May 7, 2012
    The Avengers is the best and most amazing movie I have ever seen! It has the perfect balance between humor, action, and drama. It is a must see for everyone, even those who aren't really into comic books. My mom went to go see it and even she said she loved it. GO SEE IT NOW!
    Monkey out.

1. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    May 8, 2012
    The banter has zip, the effects are fun, the climactic battle is decently spectacular, and if the 3-D is mostly expendable, there are a few scenes where it adds a nice kick.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    May 4, 2012
    This mania is what Marvel followers have hungered for, and it would be fruitless to deny their delight. As Loki says to a crowd of earthlings, "It is the unspoken truth of humanity that you crave subjugation." We do, Master, we do.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    May 4, 2012
    They're fascinating characters, to be sure, with back stories ripe for development. But Whedon doesn't commit here, and the results are shrug-worthy.