7.9

1. May 4, 2012
    The Avengers is the best Marvel film to date and quite possibly the best superhero movie I've seen in terms of all-out action spectacle, humor, and replay value. Tony Stark has so much more character development here than in the self-obsessed and flat Iron Man 2, it's nice to see Iron Man getting to do more intricate work aboard the helicarrier than just blowing stuff up. Chris' Evans and Hemsworth did an awesome job as the no-nonsense living legend super soldier and the huggable god of thunder respectively. Joss Whedon does an amazing job balancing the screen time for all the heroes and everyone gets their chance to shine, Black Widow and Hawkeye get to have their own complete story-arcs and S.H.I.E.L.D. Director Nick Fury, Agent's Maria Hill and Coulson also had their moments and they took it well with the most pivotal scene of the film. But the big surprise is Mark Ruffalo who really steals the show as Dr Bruce Banner/Hulk, he's nailed down the relationship between the scientist and the big guy down to a T, and he has all of the funniest scenes in the Avengers.
    Loved the first two acts, the first meet-up of the characters, the confrontations are all top draw but the highlights for me are the vocal interactions between everyone, whether it's between Stark/Banner, Stark/Cap, Coulson/Cap, Loki/Thor, Loki/Widow, Widow'Hawk and what have you is all perfect and I'd be more than happy if the movie would've been four hours long just to see them all bouncing off each other and that's all credit to the smart witty screenplay by Whedon. Every scene is so well made and the script compelling and essential to moving the plot forward, the most memorable moment for me was when Cap was putting on his suit while a Mozart-esque symphony is playing in the backdrop and loved all the pop culture references especially Stark's nickname for the Hawk. The final third of the movie is all-out mayhem and watching the team come together to save Manhattan from a never-ending wave of an alien race who-shall-not-be-named attacks is absolutely exhilarating and the one long continuous shot of all the Avengers in the heat of battle is captivating. It proves the point of how character build-up and the tension watching our superheroes fight and play-off each other in the first two acts and have the final battle in context can make for a more engaging and extraordinary spectacle than just mindlessly blowing things up because you have to. It's the best action set-piece I've ever seen and it's so over the top in an amazing way. When you walk out of the cinema I promise your craving for a very well made superhero movie that's not dumbed down and at the same time not as gritty and dark will be satiated. It's pure indulgence.
  2. May 7, 2012
    I'd like to just pile on with what everyone is saying...GO SEE THIS MOVIE. As close to a guarentee that you will love this movie as you can come by. Only The Dark Knight Rises might be the other but just echoing what's been said - the acting (given a blockbuster movie) is more than adequate, action scences are spectacular and the directing/script was well done. I've seen it twice and plan a third trip before it comes on Blu Ray later in the year. Must see - you won't be disappointed! Expand
  3. May 5, 2012
    Please don't listen to the snobby anti-genre movie reviews. As a guy who enjoys a good introspective, quiet indie full of symbolism and heavy thought... this was a GOOD movie. No, a GREAT movie. I laughed, I clapped, I felt for the characters on screen. Joss Whedon remains a figure of cult hysteria because his scripts tap into the minds of a generation, and rightly so. He does nothing less in this film, and every single actor is up to the challenge. Of particular note here are Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk - and the best version so far. It's hard to tell how much of this is creditable to Ruffalo's display as Banner and how much credit goes to the writing and CG wizards behind this version of the not-so-jolly green giant. But I will say that this movie finally shed the idea that a proper exploration of the Hulk has to be cerebral, introspective, and outright depressing. This Hulk manages to be both affecting AND fun, and Ruffalo's Banner is just as interesting as the "other guy."

RDJ as Tony Stark continues to impress. Honestly, there's no real weak link in the cast. I was a little worried about Sam Jackson's ability to wrap his mouth around Whedon's poppy dialogue, but his Nick Fury carried a fantastic amount of gravitas and screen presence, and really added dramatic weight I was surprised to see from an actor who has become (sadly) better known for his culty larger-than-life persona than his acting.

All in all, this is just a fantastic film, and one I plan to see in the theater again before it leaves - an activity I rarely do in the time of high-priced entertainment. Kudos Whedon, kudos Marvel. I am in awe.
  4. May 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is not so much a review in & of itself, as a response to all of the negative reviews I have read. With that said, this will be FULL OF SPOILERS. Do not read anymore if you hate spoilers. Most of the negative reviews I have seen thus far have been written by individuals who, quite obviously, have absolutely no clue what they are talking about. At least in regards to The Avengers. Some common complaints I have seen:
    1) The movie did not have enough exposition & I struggled to keep up with what was happening.
    ~The movie had plenty of exposition...about FIVE MOVIES worth of it. If you can't remember what happened in Iron Man or Thor because you haven't seen either of those movies since their theatrical release, that is not Joss Whedon's fault. Nor is it a fault of this movie. It would have been impractical to squeeze in an extra twenty or thirty minutes of exposition in a pointless attempt to bring those individuals who didn't "do their homework" up to speed.
    2) The heroes bickered & fought too much with each other.
    ~The reasoning behind this was two-fold. First & foremost, this is a form of fanservice. Geeky comic nerds (i.e. the target audience) WANT to see Thor & Hulk go toe to toe. We WANT to see Captain America deflect Mjölnir with his shield. Pitting our favorite heroes against each other has been a part of comics since comics existed, & to exclude that element from the film would have been a massive disappointment. Even if you ignore the fact that the heroes fighting amongst themselves was a desired piece of the movie, you cannot ignore one simple truth: it was entirely in character for these heroes to not get along with one another. At least, not at first. How unbelievable would it have been if the upright, disciplined, & serious Steve Rogers became fast friends with the pompous, arrogant, & self-absorbed Tony Stark? It would have been an outrage.
    3) My willing suspension of disbelief broke when I saw the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier.
    ~Having S.H.I.E.L.D. play a role in all of the movies leading up to The Avengers, & then planning S.H.I.E.L.D. to have such a large part in The Avengers, but to exclude the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier? Or, perhaps even worse, to simplify or dumb down the Helicarrier so it was JUST an aircraft carrier? Tantamount to blasphemy. Thor without his hammer, Captain American without his shield. Sure, those characters would still WORK & would still be recognizable...but (much like the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier) those are iconic elements that the audience is expecting to see.
    4) The movie had a slow start.
    ~You must have missed the first fifteen minutes. You know, the part with all of the explosions, the gunfights, the car chase, the demi-god vaporizing people, & the massive underground complex that was turned into a city sized crater. All before the title appeared on screen. After that, the movie gives a brief (six to ten minutes) exposition on what each individual Avenger is currently doing, gives the viewer a glimpse on what the bad guy is up to, then dives right back into more action. Perhaps the first hour felt slow because the second hour was an absolute non-stop adrenaline fueled thrill ride. That's my best guess.
    5) Nothing but mindless fight scenes.
    ~I don't know how to reply to this, other than ask...have you read a comic book? Ever? There is, on average, a pretty good bit of fighting. Which, most comic book readers will agree, is not a bad thing as long as its done well. In The Avengers...it is done very well.
    6) The dialogue was terrible.
    ~I digress that some characters are less interesting to listen to than others. However, that is not something you can fault the movie for. Every character works at their maximum capacity, & every actor fulfills their roles quite well. You cannot blame the movie or Chris Hemsworth for Thor having epic sounding if somewhat stiff dialogue. You cannot blame Joss Whedon or Mark Ruffalo for Bruce Banner seeming somewhat bland, boring, or shy. They are playing the characters perfectly, absolutely spot-on! Not every member of The Avengers gets to be the witty & sharp tongued Tony Stark.

In closing...I am sure I missed some complaints. Those are the ones that burned foremost in my mind. Is The Avengers a landmark groundbreaking masterpiece? No.
    Is it a work of art that will be discussed in classrooms? No.
    Is it a damned fun movie that hits all of the right spots, pushes the right buttons, & pleases its target audience? Hell yes. It is certainly that.
    Will there be a sequel? Without doubt.
  5. May 7, 2012
    I think my brain exploded from an overload of awesomeness! If you are a fan of all the previous solo films... get ready for the best payoff we've all been waiting for since the release of the first Iron Man. I'm going back for seconds!
  6. May 5, 2012
    Just saw The Avengers and all I can say is WOW!! this is the movie comic-book fans have been waiting for. the action is great, the interaction between the actors in their respective roles is awesome. The movie definitely moves along, in my opinion, considering it is over two hours. It is certainly one of the best comics to movie adaptions I've seen in a long time. A must see!!!
  7. May 6, 2012
    The summer movies are here and The Avengers delivers. Every thing about this movie WILL satisfy the nerd/geek in you. Its is written and filmed like a Marvel comic book movie should be. Josh Whedon has raised the bar on the start of summer blockbusters movies and every other Marvel movie to follow. All the characters are equally woven in and each roll is well balanced that you don't have time to fall in love with just one. If you have never picked up a comic book and feel like you might be lost on the characters I highly recommend watching the prior movies that brings this team together, Iron Man, Caption America The First Avenger, Thor, and Hulk. I'm already dreaming of the next Avengers movie. Expand
  8. May 6, 2012
    i left the theater in awe. it's the first time i've ever wanted to rewatch a movie right away. while the plot of the villain was pretty standard, seeing these heroes together and how they interact was perfect. highly recommended.
  9. May 4, 2012
    Great action flick, non-stop action, great lines, and I plan on seeing it again. Robert Downey, Jr steals the show as Iron Man. Stay for the credits to see the teaser for the next film! If you liked the Marvel films, you will love the Avengers.
  10. May 4, 2012
    In all honesty i don't see how they could've made this film anymore spectacular than it was. As a superhero fanboy (especially Marvel) i was in utter awe during the entire duration of the film. Joss Whedon did an absolutely amazing job directing and writing this blockbuster film. It certainly isn't an easy task making a film like this work but he sure did. I especially love how he made Bruce Banner/ the Hulk and Black Widow more of the 2 key characters. It was unexpected but i loved it. I also liked how they finally made the Hulk more of a good guy because he's always seen as a bad guy in every film you see. He also looked more like the actor playing Bruce Banner FINALLY! He didn't look ridiculous and unrecognizable for once. On to other things, the comedy in this film was just plain hilarious, and it was of course centered around Iron Man (Tony Stark). With the occasional jokes from Thor and how he is not familiar with Earth and Captain America being, well..old or outdated might be a better word. The action was just non-stop and absolutely mind-blowing. It was just perfect, i literally saw no flaws in the spectacle of explosion after explosion, and the CGI was just beautiful because it was perfect. While i was watching this movie, it didn't feel like a movie, it felt like something more, thats how fantastic it was. The acting was spot on, the plot was better than expected, and i can't praise Joss Whedons job on blending the chracters and their stories together enough. He just did such an amazing job, words can't even desribe. Loki was awesome, he was the definition of a villain. Slick, evil, and genius. I felt frigid during certain scenes with him because of how chilling his character was portrayed. All around this film itself is just perfect. The only flaw i saw was the 3D was nothing special so if you cannot decide, go with the 2D because the 3D is not worth the extra cash, but otherwise the actual film itself is perfect.The Avengers is not just a film, it's a cinematic event, and you will love it from the very beginning all the way until the classic end of the credits scene. I cannot wait to watch this film again. Whether you are a superhero fan or not you have to love this film, and if you are a superhero fan like myself, get ready to experience the best 2 and a half hours of film ever made. If i could give this more than a 10 i would! You must see this movie now! Expand
  11. May 4, 2012
    Good stuff. Joss Whedon likes and understands these characters as well as what audiences enjoy. You get what you want plus a little more. Hulk steals the show...then smashes it to bits. Great flicks for fans and non-fans alike. A great pay off to for all of the build up films. Can't wait to see more from this bunch...but Whedon needs to stay around...his spirit makes this thing work. Great start to the summer. Expand
  12. May 21, 2012
    How can people say terrible things about this movie? I know there are flaws in the film. But most of the problems are created by hipsters of critics who want to seem cool but instead, end up looking like **** who don't even know what the f*ck they're talking about. The film is an exciting roller coaster ride from start to finish. And when there isn't action going on, there is either great humor or fantastically done character development. There is no reason you shouldn't be going to see this movie. And anyone who sees Battleship instead of this, is dead to me. Expand
  13. May 4, 2012
    To put it simply, YES! I would have sat through five more movies like â
  14. May 18, 2012
    I have not been this entertained by a film in quite some time. Whedon didn't make a film, but conducted a symphony of entertainment. Action, humor, banter, dialogue, all worked in seamless harmony. Unaccustomed to such a level of entertainment, I was mesmerized. If time flies when having fun, this movie was exactly that. 2hrs 45mins flew by, with every second as welcome as the first.
  15. May 5, 2012
    An example of how you do a big budget, blockbuster film in the best possible way. From start to finish, The Avengers is entertainment perfection and the best film Marvel has ever put out yet. Director and writer Joss Whedon implements his trademark humour and cinematography to make the film not just funny, but also tightly paced and action packed. I'm impressed that Whedon could handle this many characters at once, especially heroes but it isn't surprising because he's done it before. While Tony Stark/Iron Man have slightly more screen time and has the most jokes and one liners, not one character is wasted or slandered and the main ensemble cast play each other extremely well and every single one of them gets a shining moment thanks to a very well written script and steady pacing. Mark Ruffalo is the best Hulk ever and I'm surprised that they didn't over sexualised Black Widow in contrast to what the trailers show but now that I think about it, it's Joss Whedon, whom you should know created Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I cannot rave this film enough and I've already seen it twice in the cinema. It is the blockbuster film of the year. It is so entertaining and so much fun to watch and it is a shining example of how a big budget blockbuster film should entertain a general audience. I've seen it both in 3D and 2D but I recommend it in 2D Collapse
  16. May 4, 2012
    I give this film 9/10. I'm dropping 1 point because they didn't exactly follow the original "The Ulitmates" story line, but came pretty damned close.

The film reflects Joss Whedons Humour with lots of nice humorous, but not out of place , quirky little moments. His wit is still very apparent from his Buffy/Angel/Firefly days. If it wasn't him who wrote the relevant scenes, it's someone
    trying to be like him !

The script and banter between everyone is snappy and everyone is already familiar with their roles so it's straight into the action. Everyone acted well and everyone took it seriously, but not TOO seriously.

I'm not giving away anymore plot than I already have in my opening statement, if you're familiar with the first 13 issue run of " The Ultimates" then you know roughly what's going on in the film. I should add here that you really end up hating Loki, again, what a great actor.

The films sounds amazing and looks even better, there is not a dull moment and I was thoroughly absorbed throughout. Lets have another one soon please.

And how about a Black Widow/Hawkeye spy/assassin flick in the mean time, they were both great characters incredibly well played by their respective actors.

Everyone already knows how good the actors that play Cap. America, Iron Man and Thor are, but those two mentioned above, and the chap that played the Hulk were also wonderful. As were the rest of the cast.

In order here's what I'd like to see next in the movies:-

New Iron Man, then a new Hulk, New Thor, New Cap. America, A Black Widow & Hawkeye spy story, with lots of Nick Fury in this one, THEN the second Avengers film. Then start the cycle again adding in a few other Avengers as time goes on. With the list above, and a film a year, that's a five year movie arc before it all starts again.

Now go and do it please people.

The Avengers, a solid nine out of ten. Go see it and enjoy.
  17. May 12, 2012
    This movie has flow, comedy and good character development. It is what you hope for when you go to see the movies. I don't make sweeping generalizations without substance unless I feel certain, this movie is brilliant.

Just go see it.
    It's worth the 10 I'm giving it.
  18. May 4, 2012
    The Avengers is a musical arrangement that hits every note on pitch with all the class and excitement you'd expect with Tony Stark in the mix. Joss Whedon takes the helm and crafts a masterpiece. The characters are great, the script is amazing, the comedy is always perfect, and the action is breathtaking! You won't find a better superhero movie or a comic adaptation. The Avengers sets the bar high, and will be one of the main reasons 2012's summer movie release list will be memorable. Expand
  19. May 4, 2012
    My wife and I were trying not to get too excited for this movie. These mash-up movies always a huge risk. And in this case it was a HUGE success. They did a great job of giving everyone a proper place in the movie without giving everyone powers to match one another necessarily. Also compared to other Marvel movies in the past, like X-Men where they decided Wolverine needed act as leader all the time, it was nice to see that they used characters like Captain America to give orders and stay level headed while Iron Man was able to go off crazy and do his thing. The jokes hit perfect, the timing and action was spot-on. The only thing that could ever be said was that the plot wasn't too overall complicated and was fairly straightforward along the way, but I don't feel it detracts from the movie at all, as anything more complex would have made the whole thing feel convoluted with so many characters struggling to work together. Expand
  20. May 12, 2012
    The Avengers is one of the greatest movies I have ever gone to see.If you like action films with no romance this is the film for you as there are no soppy love scenes which every action movie fan hates. Plus there are some humorous parts for people who like some comedy in a movie. Overall all the actor's and actresses played their role perfectly.I strongly recommend you see this film.
  21. May 5, 2012
    This film is about a group if heroes, each with their own hubris, and how they must learn to work together for the greater good. With plenty of action, humor and story, this movie delivers at every turn. Director Joss Whedon knows how to build, challenge and sustain a team driven story. From his experience with Buffy to Firefly and Dollhouse, he has learned how to develop an ensemble cast and provide each character with enough screen time to not just have time to develop their character, but to have a sense of balance as a whole. Each character proves to be an essential part of the greater whole. And that is where this movie shines. No one is left out and everyone is used in a manner that pushes the story and development forward with no real lag in the narrative. My only concern, with a movie this grand and epic, is how Marvel is going to top, or even match this film. If they can, then the next Marvel movie will be nothing short of astonishing. Bottom line this is the best superhero Team Movie made to date. Expand
  22. May 5, 2012
    A well-crafted film that superbly handles playing with four leading heroes. The movie has great sequences of action and the special effects are top-notch. However, it is the character interaction that really shines through, and makes the ultimate assembly worthwhile.
  23. May 5, 2012
    I am quite possibly one of the biggest batman fans on the planet and i still looked forward to this more than the dark knight rises. Marvel movies dont have quite the in depth story telling that dc comic book movies have, but i would rather watch this again then sit through the dark knight returns. The effects were amazing and even with so many characters everyone gets enough screen time to make the movie feel really balanced. I saw this with 6 other ppl and all of us walked out extremely happy. I would highly recommend this as a great start to the summer movie season. 2012 is looking to be one of the best years for movies in a long time Expand
  24. May 5, 2012
    Just saw this movie and I was really impressed. The only down side was that you didn't see much of the Hulk until later on in the movie, but besides that Tony Stark was awesome and Hawkeye was bad ass. The Avengers is surprisingly really good, nest to X Men: First Class as the best Marvel movie in recent years.
  25. May 5, 2012
    Fan Boys (and Girls) unite, our time has arrived!! Not one but 6 Super Heroes in one movie. What chance does the evil Loki have against these guys (and girl)?

For most of the 140 plus minutes it looks like Loki will win the day and subjugate Earth to his rule. But never fear! As Iron Man warns Loki: "You may have an army but we have a Hulk." The story is interesting even for an old timer
    who missed out on these comic books! The action is first rate and the dialogue is crisp and often hilarious. The real question to be answered at the end of this movie is: "How many spin off movies will be created by this box office bonanza" There is already talk of Black Widow and Nick Fury origins films and both Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 are in the works. The sooner the better! I'm not getting any younger and the more of these Super Hero films I can see, the longer I intend to stick around. If I outlast Loki then Marvel will just have to find another first rate villain or two. Expand
  26. May 6, 2012
    "The Avengers" (2012) is the newest film from Marvel Studios / Disney Studios with the classic superheroes, directed by Joss Whedon (from TV series "Buffy The Vampire Slayer") and starring multiple characters from other movies, together, for the first time: Robert Downey Jr. (Tony Stark/Iron Man), Chris Evans (Steve Rogers/Captain America), Mark Ruffalo (Bruce Banner/The Hulk), Chris Hemsworth (Thor), Scarlett Johansson (Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow), Jeremy Renner (Clint Barton/Hawkeye), Tom Hiddleston (Loki) and Samuel L. Jackson (Nick Fury).

The film follows the ending hook given after the credits of "Thor" in 2011 (just a note, there is also one in this movie, but before the credits, for a sequence of Avengers), with the cube Tesseract of "Captain America" â
  27. May 8, 2012
    Great movie well written well directed and had some really cool scenes the characters where coordinated really well and the action was amazing I would certainly see this movie again in theatres
  28. May 5, 2012
    This is one of the best action films than ever seen in my life. Every hero work together. God job director I give you a 10. Work hard and you will be the best director ever, maybe and make and other sequel but much better.
  29. May 4, 2012
    Move over Spiderman 2, Dark Knight and X-men:First Class. This movie us literally the best thing I've seen so far this year. I loved every second of it. The film is very well paced and the script is super sharp and humorous. it also makes references to previous movies. I congratulate Mark Ruffalo for getting the character of Bruce Banner right after Edward Norton and Eric Bana didn't quite get it. As for the rest of the heroes, they've improved so much after their previous films, Captain Americas fight scenes weren't as boring as last years efforts. Like the Directors of the individual films. Joss Whedon has done a superb job at directing this, he really deserves an Oscar for this. Overall I thought the movie was brilliant and I look forward to a sequel in the next three to four years. Not gonna spoil the end credits scene but it's epic! A fantastic film and a must watch! Expand
  30. May 4, 2012
    Personally I really enjoyed iit. The reason why I do not rely on critic reviews (69 out 100 please). Because they are just personal opinions like my own. The movie was very entertaining. I do agree about one thing though this was the best depiction of the Hulk since the TV series.
  31. May 4, 2012
    The perfect superhero movie. Joss Whedon brings together this cast of completely different personalities together to make a perfect dysfunctional functioning team that can really throw down. The action was exciting and fresh and the comedy was earned. The movie's plot was well put together and wasn't some obvious thing, as believed by many critics. The movie had a strong, dramatic overtone that really grounded everything in the real world, even though it was all pretty fantastic. Overall, this is probably the most fun you'll have at the theater all year. Expand
  32. May 5, 2012
    I guess you can't please all of the people all of the time. With many reviewers complaining that this was a brainless action flick, and others complaining that there wasn't enough action, I thought this movie absolutely nailed the sweet-spot between the two, with some of the best action and biggest effect sequences of any comic-movie yet, and great dialogue in between.

The first half of
    the movie's pretty slow, understandable when you consider all the characters that needed to be introduced/re-introduced. Black Widow got a great introduction, there were some cool moments with S.H.I.E.L.D and some minor scraps between the heroes themselves which were great fun, but the bulk of the action was saved for the big-scale Manhattan battle at the end. With all the actors slipping effortlessly back into their roles (except for Mark Ruffallo's Hulk, more on that later) there's plenty of room for banter between the heroes, which provide some of the biggest fun in the movie. It's hard to pick out one "main" character as they all get an equal share in the proceedings, exactly as it should be. RDJ shines once again as Tony Stark/Ironman, his trademark wit and cool oozing from every pore, Chris Hemsworth's Thor bringing his big Asgardian personallity to the party, all the S.H.I.E.L.D members suitably official and millitaristic. Evan's Steve Rogers/Captain America is the fish-out-of-water in this new time-period, but steps up to the role of team leader in time for the finale. Then there's the Hulk.

Now, I should preface this by saying how much I LOVED Ed Norton's Hulk film. After the godawful Ang Lee effort a few years before, the Incredible Hulk was everything a Hulk movie should be, and I was a little devastated when I heard Norton wasn't reprising his role for the Avengers. It turns out, I needn't have worried. Ruffallo, in his biggest role yet, shines as the self-depricating Banner, and the Hulk himself has some of the most crowd-pleasing, punch-the-air moments in the whole movie. Tom Hiddleston returns as Loki, the films antagonist and does a great job once more. He has some great one-on-one moments with most of the heroes, most notably with Stark and of course his brother Thor, but the best by far is his short-lived encounter with the Hulk, a scene which WILL make you laugh, HARD. Now, I could complain that the overarching plot was a little basic as some reviews have, but to be honest I thought the plot was exactly what it needed to be. There's an alien invasion coming, we need to gather Earths mightiest heroes to defend it. That's about the long and short of it and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. There were simply too many characters for anything more complicated than that to work effectively in the first Avengers movie. Perhaps in future sequels something a little more substantial would work, with all the characters now established as well as their roles within the team, but this was perfect for a first outing.

All of this led to a finale which was just awesome. You know that battle in Manhattan you've seen in all the trailers? That goes on for half an hour. For the majority of that half-hour, I practically couldn't stop smiling. I seriously dig superheroes, and for me, it was like christmas seeing them all work together against the alien threat. There's a moment where all the heroes are gathered and Cap gives the team their orders, including a particullarly crowd-pleasing order to the Hulk, before they all spread out and do their thing. It was seriously cool.

Speaking of Cap, I have to bring up my only real criticism with the movie, and that's Cap's new costume. It just looks cheap, to be honest. Why they re-designed it at all, I don't know. In the Captain America movie, they managed to make the costume look right without it looking too silly, but this new incarnation just didn't work for me. Other than that, the movie was great. Great fun, great actoin, great humour, great dialogue. If you like action movies, you gotta see this. If you like superheroes, you absolutely must see this. Twice. I've only seen it once, and writing this review's made me wanna go watch it again, so it looks like I'm off to the cinema this afternoon. Enjoy!
  33. May 4, 2012
    Possibly the best superhero movie ever. I've never seen an audience so engrossed in a film. Whedon's script and direction are perfect. This works on every level. Can't wait to see it again.
  34. May 13, 2012
    This movie was extremely fun to watch and also had a good plot. It was fun to see all the different guys come together. The humor was pretty damn good for an action movie. It was also cool seeing Captain America (Chris Evans) because he grew up in my hometown. This is a movie I would watch again.
  35. K_T
    May 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is perfect, but I want to be very clear about what I mean about that. I'm not saying that everyone should think this movie is perfect, or even that everyone should like it. Nor do I think that it being perfect makes it better than other movies I think are less perfect. All I'm saying is that The Avengers, and Joss Whedon handled what they were working with flawlessly in my mind. So I want to talk about a few things that I think Joss Whedon handled perfectly.

Joss Whedon made a movie that blended well with all the universes he had been given by the other marvel movies (Iron Man, Captain America, etc). Specifiaclly he didn't try to get more out of it then he could. All of the superhero prequel movies before this weren't built as entertaining but not all together thought provoking endevours. So going into an ansamble piece like this helmed by a new director, there's a huge risk of the new piece clashing in tone with the seperate prequel pieces. So while Joss Whedon might have been able to make an elaborate dark Avengers Movie, similar to The Watchmen or The Dark Knight, he couldn't do that without conflicting with the universe of movies he was suppose to be working in.

A second thing Joss Whedon handled well was character development, or rather lack therof (in a good way). There was no "team building" emotional lessons or character changes throughout the movie, and I think that's a good thing. I was worried coming into this that we'd see the Avengers unable to function at all with eachother and then they'd grow to love each other and no longer fight. This worried me because this type of thing is so poorly handled normally. In the Avengers Tony Stark is the same narcasystic playfull jackass the character was known for. So certainly there are team conflictions with that personality, mostly Captain America whose much more straight forward, but these don't get in the way of the simple fact that these people are already superhero's. Despite how they feel about eachother each of them (sans HULK) is genuinley interested in helping the weak. The best example of this is about halfway through the movie Captain America and Stark are arguing and Cap is Saying "put on the suit", taunting him to get this argument to come to blows to settle it. And all of the sudden in the middle of this an explosion errupts and the Avengers' ship is under attack, and without missing a step Captain America says to a recovering Stark "Okay seriously put on the suit" as they race off to combat the threat. To me this very clearly showed that Joss Whedon understood the characters he was working with, and how to aproach them. In Iron Man (one) we see Tony Stark learn through his traumatic experience that there are things more important than himself. He saw that despite himself he needed to save those in harm's way. So I feel like it would have felt insulting to come to this movie and Stark had to learn those feelings all over again because he was to busy arguing with Captain American and let that get in the way of being a hero, but that's not how the movie handled it thankfully. As coy and sarcastic and antiauthoritarian as Stark is, he's still a superhero. So it would have seemed weird if he let a petty argument prevent him from saving someone. And Joss Whedon showed that perfectly. Yeah Stark and Captain were being petty and going after eachother but the moment people were in danger all of that got put on hold and they functioned together perfectly. And thats how it should be. They're both Superhero's there's only so much you can show of them not being able to function together before it becomes illogical.

I had a lot more to talk about like Whedon's use of dichotomy, and the need for the massive battle at the end of the movie, but I'm running short on characters so I'll just pick one last thing. Whedon's Avengers captured the Hulk better than any modern attempt to date. In both the Eric Bana and Edward Norton movies I feel like the Hulk was poorley displayed to capture it's meaning. (Though I think Edward Norton was amazing in the movie) But in the first two Hulk movies of this millenia, what the Hulk is was poorly captured. In both movies what's shown is a Dr. Banner being hunted by the military and the Hulk responding and destroying them. So the feeling of uncontrolled rage never translated because despite the chaos the Hulk was still targeting people trying to kill him. And that made the climax of those movies less meaningful. But in this movie the first time we see the Hulk he's rampaging after a frail girl (okay black Widow, but in comparison) who has no intention to harm him. So the feeling of uncontrolled rage translates to the watcher really well. And at the end of the movie when the Hulk displays somewhat controlled Rage, in a 'these guys are beating up the guys i'm beating up, well i won't go after them then', the contrast seemed more meaningful.
  36. May 12, 2012
    This film was great - it had fantastic visuals, nice characters, breathtaking fights and kept me interested all the time. I consider it a great success :) There were also genuine comedic moments, when the entire cinema laughed. I enjoyed it very, very much and this is what is all about.
  37. May 6, 2012
    Wow was I wrong!!! Very good movie!!!!!!!!! Great action all the way through!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was also full of numerous funny moments. Go see it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  38. May 7, 2012
    Best Marvel film yet? Maybe not. Best Joss Whedon film? Nope, Serenity's smarter and darker, and the Whedon co-written The Cabin In The Woods is more ambitious. But what makes The Avengers so impressive is how it manages to stick to a classic comicbook/action formula, yet somehow feel utterly fresh and distinct. Be it the script, the settings, or the combination of so many superheroes sharing screen space - all freed from an origins story arc or sequel expectations - it just feels--- new, and gleefully satisfying. The characters are bold, yet feel human. And the action is spectacular but never dehumanising (we don't *need* to see civilians being killed during the major set-pieces).

It also absolutely nails a universal audience appeal. Marvel nerds (of which I'm one) can obviously love it, but I've not heard a packed cinema laugh so hard a film for a long time. You really don't need to be a fan to appreciate some of the dialogue or the standout visual gags. Whedon never patronises the audience, giving his characters room to breathe every now and then. But crucially he never forgets why you've paid for a ticket and are sitting in front of that screen: you're there, above all else, to be entertained - and gorram it, he delivers...
  39. May 23, 2012
    A very risky movie to make considering the abundance of heroes. It could have used more information about the army of other-worldly creatures so willing to invade another planet. Looking forward to the inevitable sequel.
  40. May 6, 2012
    I finally got to see this in theaters.....IT WAS F*CKING AWESOME! I am a huge fan of the Avengers, when I first heard their making a movie, I was psyched yet a little worried. I went to my movie theater, and it was PACT, it was crowded with a line from the entrance to the parking lot. It was hard for me to see it b/c it's always sold out. Well, I finally got to see it, and it was so cool I'm definitely gonna see it again. The action scenes are incredible and was fantastic to see my favorite superhero's teaming up all in 1 movie. I don't care if people criticize this saying it's a kids movie, which it's obviously not. I'm surprised about the humor to this film, it actually had pretty funny scenes. The casting was incredible, the action scenes are unbelievable, pretty much everything about this movie was great. People who hate this movie are living under a rock or one of those people that love to nitpick and rant about stupid sh*t that nobody cares about. I know it's based on people's opinion, but seriously, how can you hate this movie when theirs nothing wrong with it? This is an awesome movie, I would like to say that this hits my Top Favorite Movies of All Time. BEST MOVIE OF 2012! Expand
  41. May 5, 2012
    Exciting, incredibly well written, and hilarious, The Avengers is Marvel's best film. The action is incredibly thrilling, the humor unmatched in a blockbuster, and the performances fantastic. This is the best way to start off the Summer movie season.
  42. Apr 26, 2013
    Not only is The Avengers a great film by itself, its also a great; Iron Man movie, Captain America movie, Hulk movie and Thor movie. With the huge potential of failure from the unprecedented build up, it is one of the biggest comic book achievements ever
  43. May 4, 2012
    At the core of a great film is an even greater story. At the core of every great story are even greater characters, chemistry and a strong foundation of source material. The Avengers have been around since the early 60s, and the characters even far beyond that. Personally, in the midst of my parents divorcing, I decided to take a second chance on comic books after dipping my toe into Captain Carrot and his Amazing Zoo Crew in March, 1982 while living in Broken Arrow, OK during one of my many, many trips to QuikTrip to either buy ice cream, donuts or penny candy while playing Ms. Pac-Man. It wasn't a wonder why I became fat around this time. Fast forward 2 years to May, 1984, when I purchased Avengers (Vol 1) number 243, mostly due to my being intrigued with Captain America. I instantly fell in love with comics, and needed them to help me cope with the massive changes going on around me at the time. My heart was broken when the first Avengers cartoon series in 1999-2000 was an embarrassment. Just a pathetic series. However, when the X-Men movies did well and other titles like Daredevil, Elektra and Fantastic Four started to be released, I was excited to eventually see, at least, Captain America, Iron Man, etc. on the big screen. Never did I think a studio would be ambitious enough to attempt The Avengers as a whole.

Over the past few months, I've seen some of the most uninteresting trailers for The Avengers. I have been so worried thinking that the movie I've waited 28 years for was going to be an absolute disaster. Trailer after trailer, it didn't look any better. Did Joss royally screw this thing up???

Well, I saw it opening night, tonight. The trailers show the tiniest fraction of what happens in this absolute masterpiece. Sure, it's action-packed. It's expected to be. Sure it's got funny moments. It's expected to, especially with Robert Downey, Jr. as a leading man. What Joss Whedon did was take the greatest care of characters since Nolan's Batman series. The interaction between the characters, the way they deal with their own personal concerns and flaws, and how they come together as a team is so perfectly executed it nearly brought tears to my eyes. To most people it might be looked at as an enjoyable popcorn film; a great kickoff to the summer movie season. To me, a die-hard, multi-decade fanatic of this comic, these films, these characters and the integrity of keeping them authentic was paramount and, honestly, impossible to achieve, in my eyes. Joss proved me oh-so-wrong. When I began seeing the very nigh praise, the 93% on Rottentomatoes, etc. my low expectations became super high expectations. How often are expectations like that ever met? Well, I can at least say they weren't met. They were left in the dust, exceeded beyond anything my fanboy mind could have conjured. Bless Marvel, Whedon and these actors for treating multiple generations of fans to a perfect example of how it can be done right. Sure, Nolan has become the gold standard, but Whedon showed everyone that Marvel can do it too. My only regret is that Edward Norton couldn't reprise his role as Bruce Banner. Of the 3 Bruce's, he was the best. Mark Ruffalo was the worst. I like him as an actor and he had some of the mannerisms, but Edward captured the intellectual, frightened and loner aspect of Bruce Banner perfectly. Hulk, however, stole the show. Without spoiling some of the key aspects of the movie, I will just say that Joss' inclusion of Hulk in the manner in which he was was the cherry on top of this perfect sundae. While I can't imagine them topping this one, I've been so strongly surprised, I would never say never. The setup at the end of The Avengers has me so excited about where these movies will continue to go. I even guessed the surprise ending way early in the movie, but that was a product of my pure geekiness made happy by clearly other geeky people who wrote the film. Bring it on, Marvel. Excelsior! Nuff Said!!
  44. May 5, 2012
    You'll already know if you want to see this movie, and if you already know you want to see this movie, you'll more than likely love this movie. Most of the negative critic reviews seem to come from film critics who've let their personal preferences get in the way of doing their job properly. Joss Whedon and his stellar cast have done the near impossible and created an ensemble superhero movie that is fast and funny, as reliant on its whip smart dialogue as its staggering set pieces. To me, it genuinely feels like the modern equivalent of Star Wars or Indiana Jones - a proper event movie that is more than the sum of its (admittedly not entirely flawless) parts. Most of all, unlike its alternatively dour and ridiculous DC counterparts, The Avengers is fun - if you let yourself, there's no reason for you not to enjoy it from start to finish. Expand
  45. May 4, 2012
    Wow. Just plain wow. I had obviously high expectations, and even those were blown away. Joss Whedon shows yet again why he is one of the best writer/directors in Hollywood. Making every character interesting and entertaining is a tough task, but Joss does it with ease.
  46. May 5, 2012
    Best hero movie of all time, hands down! Very funny, the action looked amazing and the characters are all lovable. All of them. Even the Hulk.... (maybe, specially him)
  47. May 27, 2012
    The build up and hype for this movie was definitely worth it. It's one of those movies you'll be replaying over and over in your head, reciting some familiar lines with friends, and be dying to see again after you leave the theater. I enjoyed the build up a lot actually and the not-so-action-packed scenes, as they allowed you to get reacquainted with each character, their story, and their personality. Seeing the collection of actors interact with one another also provides some really cool moments as well, and they all meshed together quite nicely. Every hero in this movie gets multiple moments to shine, which I absolutely loved, and there's some brilliant comedic moments mixed in with the action to keep you thoroughly entertained. I thought Samuel Jackson's lines could have been better written at times, as well as Chris Evan's and Cobie Smulders', but for the most part, I came away saying that it was definitely worth seeing in theaters. The Hulk and Iron Man especially steal the show in this one... and not to give too much away here, but fans of the show "How I Met Your Mother" may also really like this film too, as a couple references (not sure if they were intentional or not, but then again, Cobie Smulders is in this) to the show are made. Expand
  48. May 5, 2012
    is one of the best films of 2012 so far, and it all of it because the director could make the six Avengers have their momtentosspecias loki and even the villain had his moment of great importance. tava wonderful cast, this excellent Scarlet, she could not understand the game of seduction that has black widow, Mark did not seem to have been the first hulk movie it being, 'cause he got to understand the anger that has Hulk, Chris Evans played my favorite character and in my opinion it all amazing in this role, Robert again with his amazing power to interpret anything, Chris Hemsworth had a very difficult to interpret the god of lightning and did a beautiful job Expand
  49. May 4, 2012
    I just finished watching the midnight showing and I want to say that this movie is in my top three. It is definitely the best Marvel film yet. All of the characters get equal time on-screen and none are down played. The best parts about this movie were the action, hilarious comedy and of course, the Hulk.
  50. May 6, 2012
    Marvel had their work cut out for them with this film and they delivered in a spectacular fashion! It was not going to be easy to create this super hero squad and throw it up on the big screen. But they pulled it off! All of the cast was great with a surprising performance from Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk. In fact Joss Whedon managed to make me a Hulk fan after this movie. This movie is nothing short of a blockbuster and a hell of ride! A must see for this summer! Expand
  51. May 19, 2012
    Absolutely brilliant! The Avengers brings depth to the Marvel characters, provides loads of laughs, great action, unbelievably stunning visual effects, and fantastic performances from the whole cast. I give this 100% of a good movie.
  52. May 12, 2012
    An amazing balancing act of chaos, explosions, big heroes, big actors, and good humor all done very well. I am very impressed that everything was done so well yet so balanced and entertaining. This sets a new standard for multi cast action films. Take note transformers.
  53. Dec 30, 2012
    Like all good superhero movies, its a slow buildup to great action. Unlike bad superhero movies, its incredibly well-acted without being too dark or too whimsical.
  54. CDQ
    May 12, 2012
    The best movie this year by far, and perhaps the best superhero movie of all time. The sheer awesomeness of The Avengers cannot be explained with words. It was completely amazing.
  55. May 15, 2013
    The mother of all Superhero movies. Really enjoyed it, Absolutely Electrified me. The Avengers definitely was the cherry on top of the cake of Marvels Phase 1 and will be loved by fans in this entire realm for Generations to come.
  56. May 4, 2012
    This movie is funny, it has great action scenes, it's just a great movie. Way better than I expected it to be. The characters play well off each other and seem to be cast perfectly. I would definitely go see it again.
  57. May 8, 2012
    Taken on its own, it's a great action movie with laugh-out-loud comedy and fine character beats. But you HAVE to factor in the "degree of difficulty" of what Joss Whedon has accomplished. By all rights this thing should have been a total mess. All those heroes sharing one movie? Giving them all their proper character moments, action moments, individual plot arcs while simultaneously giving them proper interpersonal chemistry AND developing the Avengers organization WHILE progressing a movie plot. Whedon pulled the sword from the stone and somehow makes it all work. Much as I love Nolan I have to admit he could not have done this. This took all of Whedon's career of creating great "family" dynamics show after show in his TV series. It took real genius to pull off this movie, and the reviewers who can't see that should pack it in. Expand
  58. May 8, 2012
    Fantastic. Entertaining from beginning to end (even past the credits). Well written and humourous without going cheesey (like THOR). Scarlett Johansson was super hot.
  59. Jul 25, 2012
    This movie right here. One of the best experiences I've had in a movie theater. The dialogue was witty and the characters very well-written. Joss Whedon did a phenomenal job. As far as movies go, this was one of the most entertaining movies I have ever seen. Though far more than just action, once it gets going, it is so good. The action-packed final 30 minutes are some of the best sequences I've seen on film. The Avengers, to me, is the new gold standard for comic book movies. It doesn't get much better than this. Expand
  60. May 7, 2012
    A Perfect Ten. Everything you could ask for in an action movie. Even the trailer couldn't give everything away. A must see on every level. The 3-D effects were excellent. It is just amazing!!!
  61. May 5, 2012
    This is the greatest super hero movie of all time and one of the greatest movies of all time.Tons of action and there is no 1main character, the movie evenly divides characters and each one has their moment.It is actually quite funny as well, and comic fans will absolutely LOVE it.I never found the film boring and this movie has quite a few claping moments for all those people who love to cheer during the movie(like myself). And stay after the credits(like if you didnt already know that).Overall movie is outstanding,good story,awesome characters,insane fights,and great humor.This is going to be movie of the year and is a must see for ALL kinds of people. Expand
  62. May 7, 2012
    Not only is The Avengers one of the best superhero movies, it's quite possibly one of the best movies ever released in modern cinema. The action is intense, the humor is, well, quite humorous, and the characters are made in a way where you actually care about them. Although some acting of some of the non-major characters is suspect, that is no reason to not see this excellent, rollicking action film. Everything, from the combat to the lines to the overall delivery, right down to the teaser for a sequel, is so well done. If you have even the slightest interest in Thor, Iron Man (which, by the way, stole the show), Captain America, Hulk, or Black Widow, then see this film. Now. Expand
  63. May 5, 2012
    Simply the best on screen adaptation and movie I've ever had the pleasure of seeing! The only film on pare with The Dark Knight. If you can't enjoy this for pure entertainment, then you obviously have personalty issues where as you hate everything and cannot be satisfied. Go live under a rock, same with all the critics who have rated this as below average. Can The Avengers be the final proof the worlds needs to completely discredit and eliminate useless movie "critics"? The pace, characters, environment, action, and humor were all done to perfection. This is what I've always wanted to see. Thank you for making it! Expand
  64. May 8, 2012
    The culmination of 5 different superhero movies into one explosive mix, there has never been a movie as ambitious as this. The performances, visuals and humor are all top notch, as expected in a Marvel movie. The story itself was what everyone was expecting, and while that may have disappointed some I think they still did a great job bringing everyone together for the first time. Maybe in Avengers 2 they can throw in some surprises, but this was all about making it work, and it worked. Expand
  65. May 4, 2012
    An abundance of exhilarating set-pieces , solid performances and a thoroughly engrossing emotional emphasis ensures that The Avengers stands tall as a marvel among superhero films .
  66. May 12, 2012
    "Joss Whedon is a freaking Genius" . It was so difficult to put together something like this but his amazing Story and Direction made the movie awesome . It was very thrilling and the action scenes were incredible and its had some really funny moment too which tells that the movie is not boring at all. Robart , Tom was the best as they were before. Hamsworth was good but not better then he was on Thor . Evans on the other seemed kinda different . seems like he was too angry about everything . Scarlet was super and her action scenes were perfect but hated her hair style. S.l.Jackson and Jeremy was super too . And last Cobie was the surprise of the film . I saw her every week on HIMYM but here seeing her beauty just made my day ! plus her custom was WahaaoooO !!!
    Effect was good as well as al the other work . But I didnt like the theme song that much . It wasnt bad but its not catchy like other superhero films.Overall The Avengers is a total perfect Entertainment !

Really want to thank The Avengers Creator Stan "The Man" Lee (Respect)! and co-creator Jack Kirby.

tnx to Marvel , Disney & Kevin for taking this Dream Project and turning it into a freaking awesome movie !
  67. May 4, 2012
    Après des débuts assez mitigés (de l'excellentissime Iron Man au mollasson Thor), les super-héros Marvel de ces dernières années mettent enfin le paquet. Et pas qu'un peu! De la part d'Avengers, on en attendait un défouloir sympathique. A la place, nous avons droit à un chef-d'oeuvre d'action (rien que ça), qui lorgne vers Transformers (pour le côté explosif et généreux), tout en le surpassant. Mouvementé, hilarant (Stark et mention spéciale à Hulk), ébouriffant, très bien joué, effets spéciaux sublimes, costumes... Bref, il n'y a rien à dire d'Avengers! Peut-être que si : musiques pas si mémorables, et la barre a été mise tellement haute qu'on appréhende déjà comment va être la suite. Mais vous voulez de véritables sensations fortes avec un blockbuster américain qui ne se fout pas de la gueule des spectateurs, Avengers est le divertissement qu'il vous faut. Peut-être même le meilleur entertainment de l'année! Expand
  68. May 6, 2012
    One of the best films I've seen in a good while. Marvel fans and movie goers will enjoy the action, cunning special effects and the wit. I had such a great time watching the film and I believe the entire audience felt the same way. 10 out of 10 a must see.
  69. May 8, 2012
    I want to say a lot about this film but this is such an awesome film that it can easily be summed up quite quickly. Think of an action film - for example, Transformers is a good one - with two dimensional characters, humanity, real humour and a wonderful story to boot. Even the villain has his own personality and a legitimate reason to invade Earth. This is one of those films that even for the umpteenth time you will continue to be entertained. Have you ever seen multiple superheroes from different films from the coolest comics come together with such ease? Expand
  70. May 5, 2012
    I haven't read the comics at all, but I do know how the characters are. Either way, I thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed this movie. YOU HAVE GOT TO SEE THIS MOVIE!!!
  71. May 4, 2012
    In my honest opinion this movie has the power of visuals from transformers and the epic story of avatar all in a incredible bundle of the greatest comic book story ever made. Those who don't like this movie have something very strange going on in their heads probably trolls or bullies hahaha this is officially my favorite movie of all times i will see it 3 times because its that good!!!
  72. May 5, 2012
    I've seen it on the 24 of April in thw world premiere in Rome Italy (where i Live). This movie is AWESOME, at the level of Iron Man 1! I liked it a lot! The 3D is not so useful, it would be awesome also without it! It was years that i wasn't so happy to see a film... :D
  73. May 4, 2012
    Is the AVENGERS the best super hero film of all time? No, it's not. But it's a great film. Let's start with the surprising negative aspect: slow mid section and predictable storyline. The positives: big spectacle film making at its best and a final action sequence that made Transformer's look like an incoherent mess.
  74. May 4, 2012
    This is an incredible film! There wasn't a single point in the film that I didn't enjoy. Plenty of action and brilliant one liners, plus some unexpected laughs. The build up of the individual characters becoming the Avengers was really well done, and I quite like the fact that Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) and Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) got a fair amount of screen time amongst the bigger names. I didn't recognise Mark Ruffalo from any other films, but he does a great Banner/ Hulk, possibly even better than Edward Norton!

Even if you haven't seen any of the other Avenger 'intro' films, and aren't a huge fan of comics, this is a must see film! Loads of action and comedy for everyone to enjoy themselves.
  75. May 4, 2012
    Best superhero movie experience since X-Men 2 for me, it was just so much fun seeing these over the top characters argue and ultimately work with one another. The funny and clever humor, the great action, and the enjoyable and interesting characters, are the reasons why The Avengers is an above average superhero movie I think.
  76. May 5, 2012
    Funniest super hero movie ever! Had a blast throughout and plan to see it again. Downey Jr. makes the film and my interest in Iron Man 3 is rejuvenated.
  77. May 4, 2012
    I had to get to the theater at 10:30 to get a seat for the midnight showing, and I sure wasn't the only one seeing the Avengers. Everywhere were people in Captain America masks, Thor helmets, or green faces for the Hulk. And when the lights dimmed, everyone began cheering as the movie started. And they cheered throughout it. And clapped. And laughed like crazy. The Avengers was SO MUCH FUN!!! Humorous, packed with action, with a fantastic cast and highlights for every one of them. Go see it. You'll never have so much fun at a movie. (And afterward, I high-fived a die-hard Hulk fan who had dyed himself completely green.Who can top that?) Expand
  78. May 8, 2012
    1 dimentional characters, weak plot, over the top.......
    If this is the description of fun then give me Avengers any day. This film is fun & exciting. I've not had such a good, mindless & happy time at the piccies for a very very long time. I loved this film from start to finish. It's been a long time since I didn't want a film to end. Avengers is excellent fun, it never takes itself too
    seriously and has some cracking one liners and visual comedy thrown in for good measure. There's even respect for the eldest member of the team towards the end. Go and see this movie if you want to enjoy a trip to the piccies. Expand
  79. May 12, 2012
    THE AVENGERS is yet again more proof that Joss Whedon is a genius and is one of the greatest filmmakers of today. The Avengers is brilliantly written, contains great humour, well-done action sequences and visuals and great performances from the cast. The Avengers is probably one of the greatest superhero movies of all time!
  80. May 12, 2012
    This movie is just made of WIN, truly mind-blowing but also thought provoking. Definitely not one of those action hero movies where the switching off of one's mind is compulsory.
  81. May 6, 2012
    The only way you will not enjoy this movie is if you already don't want to. It is everything an action movie should be. Each member of the Avengers fills their roll perfectly, saving the best parts of the movie for when they finally come together as a team. The excitement that sprouts very early on grows and grows throughout the story and flowers beautifully at the very end. This is a movie I thought would be "just okay". It completely demolished my expectations. Expand
  82. Mar 17, 2013
    An exciting thrill ride from start to finish. This is exactly what you expect in a summer block buster. It's not easy to take this many superheroes and keep all the characters relevant that's a credit to Joss Whedon.
  83. Dec 28, 2012
    After dozens of teasers hidden in each of the heroes individual movies The Avengers is finally here, and it doesn't disappoint. It's filled with draw dropping action, and some hilarious moments. Every superhero is excellently fleshed out and work well together, and no hero receives more attention than another. It excellently captures the feel of each individual hero as well as show some new sides of their personalities. The Avengers is everything I wanted it to be, and I don't see how it could have turned out any better. It's one of the best superhero movies of all time. Expand
  84. Oct 3, 2012
    This is the way 3D should be displayed on every 3D TV with the proper Aspect Ratio of 1.78:1 which will fill the whole screen without the horrible "black bars". That alone makes this release one of the best ones on 3D.

The Aspect Ratio of: 1.78:1 takes this movie in 3D to a whole new level without the annoying "black bars" on top and bottom of the screen.

Usually I don't mind those
    "black bars" on 2D viewing, maybe because we are all used to it by now, plus it doesn't take anything away...BUT ON 3D viewing this is the complete opposite. WHY SUCH A BIG DEAL ABOUT THIS ASPECT RATIO?:
    For those of us who already hated the so called "black bars" on top and bottom of the screen while watching a regular movie, this is really bad for 3D Home viewers, as this WILL TAKE AWAY FROM WHAT MAKES 3D WORTH THE PURCHASE TO BEGIN WITH, minimizing the effect by a big percentage, unless you have a 80" 3D TV which I'm pretty such most of us don't have.

SO WHAT'S THE "APPROPRIATE" ASPECT RATIO THAT SHOULD BE IN 3D HOME MOVIES?
    Most 3D movies right now are NOT being released with the desirable Aspect Ratio that will fill the whole screen giving you the whole 3D effect BUT movies like Wrath Of The Titans, and the soon to be released AVATAR 3D, are some of the very few that could display with an average Aspect Ratio of: 1.78:1 WHICH WILL take advantage of your New 3D TV as you expected to display from day one.

With that said, This movie fortunately does support that type of Aspect Ratio which is completely worth spending the extra few dollars on the 3D Bluray version. Even with an enormous TV set you wouldn't want to watch a 3D movie with the black bars because...the bigger the TV, the bigger the "black bars" .

ABOUT THE MOVIE:
    I did LOVE this movie when I went to see in IMAX 3D, I think it had a good use of the technology. STORY: This is certainly the BEST comic to film translation, and yes, I did like Batman the Dark Knight Rises, but not as much as this one. SPECIAL EFFECTS: The special effects although not groundbreaking they were certainly eye-candy, and what really makes it stand out from the pack is how well the director and his team were able to put everything together and make it look Amazing all around...AND EVEN BETTER IN BLURAY 3D AND ITS AMAZING 1.77:1 ASPECT RATIO TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THE ENTIRE SCREEN.

If you have a 3D TV and a 3D BluRay player, this movie will certainly make you proud of that investment...I know it did for me.
  85. May 5, 2012
    ASSEMBLE all your friends and family to go see The Avengers! It doesn't get much better than this! An ensemble movie done extremely well and there is just so much going on here. Iron Man is flawless as usual, Ruffalo is pitch-perfect as Bruce Banner/Hulk, and the whole ensemble just works. The plot is solid with an imminent threat that is worth caring about, and Loki is a fine villain. Again, there is a LOT going on here, but Whedon seems to pull it all together while still giving each character plenty of screen time. This is a "smash"-ing good time! Expand
  86. May 5, 2012
    The Avengers is the best Marvel film to date and the best movie of the year so far. I was surprised how well they were able to give all the Avengers about equal screen time. Mark Ruffalo is definitely the best Hulk ever, it made me appreciate the Hulk as a character. This is definitely one of the best comic book movies, following right behind Christoper Nolan's Batman films. Would love to see this movie again, and I usually don't see films multiple times. If you are looking for a well written, well directed, action packed film, this is the best one in theaters. Expand
  87. May 4, 2012
    First of all, the story behind this film isn't exactly Oscar material. But the two hours and 20 minutes of non stop action and pure comic-book awesomeness definitely makes up for it. The comedy between the characters, the performances of old and new actors alike, this film is definitely worth a watch...
  88. May 8, 2012
    1 word...AMAZING. totally worth the wait. you got comedy, action and scarlett johansson in it :P i mean Joss Whedon really did a brilliant job on the movie. usually 2 and a half hours could tend to get you a bit cranky but this movie was brilliant and the 2.30 hour run time felt like nothing cause it was so fast paced. loved it and i hope they make a sequel.
  89. May 4, 2012
    This was a funny action movie that alot a bit too much substance for one movie to contain. While the story was simplistic, I think that was a good thing because of the sheer number of things going on all at once. If you had a story with anymore to it, then this movie would have been really bogged down with just too much stuff. The over abundance of stuff in the movie doesn't let the heroes in this movie truly shine till the very end. Some of the best parts of the movie were when they were interacting with each but that was very few and far between. The final action sequence at the end doesn't disappoint though and it's worth going to see the movie just for that. If you weren't a fan of the previous individual movies for these characters, then this will not do anything to change your feelings toward Superhero movies. However this is a good, fun, and very enjoyable movie that people of all ages will enjoy. Just try not to get bogged down with the sheer amount of content this movie tries to cram into your brain in 2 hours. You might get a headache afterward lol. Expand
  90. Jun 16, 2013
    In the decade it's taken to bring everything together, we've continually been promised that the Avengers would be the superhero movie to change all superhero movies and it's a damn good thing, because I really hate superhero movies. Three things made this film standout and shine over the many, many superhero films that have been released. The most obvious thing is the huge, superstar, cast. Not only is it incredibly difficult to bring a cast like this together, but to get them to work together, without getting in each others way must have been nearly impossible. Second, even though the film involves superheroes and outer space, it seems somewhat realistic to us. These heroes have families, personalities, feelings, people get hurt, and some people even die, letting us see the human side of these characters. Finally, the Direction of Joss Whedon brings it all together. Whedon has always had this unique ability to put his own style on spin on things, at first it seems strange, but ultimately we come to love it. He is such an underrated Director, who brings so much to everything he's a part of, and it's great to see him get to do a huge project like this. The Avengers was special, not only because it took a decade to make, but because if you saw all the individual movies first, like I did, you feel a connection to these guys, it's almost like you know them personally and you expect them to act in certain ways when they all come together. The individual films really built up the excitement and helped the Avengers to become a billion dollar earner at the box office. From the performances to the special effects this was once exciting, terrific movie, and may be as close to perfect as a superhero movie will ever get. Expand
  91. May 5, 2012
    Absolutely everything you would want out of an Avengers movie plus some. In the wrong hands this movie could've gone horribly awry and I'm ecstatic that this isn't the case. Prior to seeing it I was really worried about the 2 hr. 22 min. run but it seriously was not a problem, in fact I wouldn't have minded a 3 hr running time. The action was incredible and the banter between the super heroes was more often than not hysterical. And this is one of the first movies that the 3D didn't piss me off. You owe it to yourself to see this in theaters and experience the awesomeness. Expand
  92. May 5, 2012
    This film is the most interesting and the most funny among all the superhero films. Most of the actors played good. Visual effects are worthwhile, at the same time not seem redundant. I need to say that sometimes there was a little much unreasonable pathos, but its presence in hero movies established historically :) The most remarkable thing is humor, good humor in Avengers. It gave me positive energy, so thanks for that! :) Expand
  93. May 4, 2012
    Well the long awaited " The Avengers" does not disappoint. From start to finish, the pace is fast, sometimes even brutal; with non-stop action and great moments of humor. This mother of all sequels, being a sequel to no less than five films, brings together a multitude of powerhouse superheroes from the Marvel stable. Even if you are not familiar with â
  94. Aug 23, 2013
    The Avengers at first dissapointed me, but it grew on me. The film gradually builds up from being boring and full of emotionless events and non-exciting action to an extremely exciting climax, the middle of the film was suspence filled build up to the climax near the end. The near-end climax of the story and action did not dissapoint me, as it was one of the most exciting group of scenes in all movies. The acting and character building was great in this film; although the story wasn't the best, it was pretty darn good and certainly kept me watching but the story wasn't the only thing keeping me watching... The action was non-stop and incredibly exciting throughout the last 50 minutes, it made me smile to see all of the characters work together to save the citizens of New York and, well, the world.
    Although The Avengers starts blandly and boringly, it gradually builds up to an incredibly exciting climax; The Avengers may not be the best super hero film I've seen, but it's still very good and definetely deserves to be watched around the world. So I give this film a... 87/100!
  95. May 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Epic! The Avengers is epic. The reason? The story can be simple, but the development is really awesome, have great elements of the comic. The characters have an awesome development, is interesting the things that Whedon do with all the cast, and now the cast, wow, is amazing, their performances are perfect, the better are Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man/Tony Stark, Mark Ruffalo as Hulk/Bruce Banner and Tom Hiddleston as Loki. The effects are amazing, in moments the movie is like Transformers, but no problem, becuase the effects (of Transformers) are amazing, and Michael Bay can watch some battle scenes of The Avengers for do a better movie. The soundtrack is really fantastic, and the score wow. The script is incredible, have much intelligent and funny moments, I love it. And the scene after the titles, OMG! Is epic. The Avengers is the best movie of 2012 (in this moment) I can't wait for The Avengers 2. This is the best of Marvel. Expand
  96. May 4, 2012
    The greatest superhero movie I have seen by far. Lots of action to be had, very funny moments throughout, and the watching all the great Marvel superheroes fight side by side and even sometimes each other was great. Seeing this at midnight, the crowd was going crazy the entire film and enjoyed so much. 10 out of 10, go see it in theaters, I know I'll be seeing it again for sure.
  97. May 4, 2012
    After endless hype, The Avengers delivers. All the characters are full of depth and personality. The action scenes are epic. The dialogue is smart, funny, and witty. Everything fans like myself wanted in this film has happened. Not only is this the best Marvel film I've seen, its the best superhero and summer blockbuster to ever be unleashed with this much satisfaction. Go see it...NOW!
  98. May 4, 2012
    Whedon did best for this movie.Such a great and unforgettable adventure.With outstanding action scenes(better and clear than Michael Bay's Transformers)delicate sense of humor and touchable feelings.The best movie in the marvel and Marvel Universe history.My point is 100+++
  99. May 6, 2012
    I am having trouble thinking of a movie I have ever enjoyed more. I am not having much luck though. I cant recommend this movie enough. Can't wait to see it again.

1. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    May 8, 2012
    The banter has zip, the effects are fun, the climactic battle is decently spectacular, and if the 3-D is mostly expendable, there are a few scenes where it adds a nice kick.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    May 4, 2012
    This mania is what Marvel followers have hungered for, and it would be fruitless to deny their delight. As Loki says to a crowd of earthlings, "It is the unspoken truth of humanity that you crave subjugation." We do, Master, we do.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    May 4, 2012
    They're fascinating characters, to be sure, with back stories ripe for development. But Whedon doesn't commit here, and the results are shrug-worthy.