7.9

1. May 7, 2012
    I'd like to just pile on with what everyone is saying...GO SEE THIS MOVIE. As close to a guarentee that you will love this movie as you can come by. Only The Dark Knight Rises might be the other but just echoing what's been said - the acting (given a blockbuster movie) is more than adequate, action scences are spectacular and the directing/script was well done. I've seen it twice and planI'd like to just pile on with what everyone is saying...GO SEE THIS MOVIE. As close to a guarentee that you will love this movie as you can come by. Only The Dark Knight Rises might be the other but just echoing what's been said - the acting (given a blockbuster movie) is more than adequate, action scences are spectacular and the directing/script was well done. I've seen it twice and plan a third trip before it comes on Blu Ray later in the year. Must see - you won't be disappointed! Expand
  2. May 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is not so much a review in & of itself, as a response to all of the negative reviews I have read. With that said, this will be FULL OF SPOILERS. Do not read anymore if you hate spoilers. Most of the negative reviews I have seen thus far have been written by individuals who, quite obviously, have absolutely no clue what they are talking about. At least in regards to The Avengers. Some common complaints I have seen:
    1) The movie did not have enough exposition & I struggled to keep up with what was happening.
    ~The movie had plenty of exposition...about FIVE MOVIES worth of it. If you can't remember what happened in Iron Man or Thor because you haven't seen either of those movies since their theatrical release, that is not Joss Whedon's fault. Nor is it a fault of this movie. It would have been impractical to squeeze in an extra twenty or thirty minutes of exposition in a pointless attempt to bring those individuals who didn't "do their homework" up to speed.
    2) The heroes bickered & fought too much with each other.
    ~The reasoning behind this was two-fold. First & foremost, this is a form of fanservice. Geeky comic nerds (i.e. the target audience) WANT to see Thor & Hulk go toe to toe. We WANT to see Captain America deflect Mjölnir with his shield. Pitting our favorite heroes against each other has been a part of comics since comics existed, & to exclude that element from the film would have been a massive disappointment. Even if you ignore the fact that the heroes fighting amongst themselves was a desired piece of the movie, you cannot ignore one simple truth: it was entirely in character for these heroes to not get along with one another. At least, not at first. How unbelievable would it have been if the upright, disciplined, & serious Steve Rogers became fast friends with the pompous, arrogant, & self-absorbed Tony Stark? It would have been an outrage.
    3) My willing suspension of disbelief broke when I saw the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier.
    ~Having S.H.I.E.L.D. play a role in all of the movies leading up to The Avengers, & then planning S.H.I.E.L.D. to have such a large part in The Avengers, but to exclude the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier? Or, perhaps even worse, to simplify or dumb down the Helicarrier so it was JUST an aircraft carrier? Tantamount to blasphemy. Thor without his hammer, Captain American without his shield. Sure, those characters would still WORK & would still be recognizable...but (much like the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier) those are iconic elements that the audience is expecting to see.
    4) The movie had a slow start.
    ~You must have missed the first fifteen minutes. You know, the part with all of the explosions, the gunfights, the car chase, the demi-god vaporizing people, & the massive underground complex that was turned into a city sized crater. All before the title appeared on screen. After that, the movie gives a brief (six to ten minutes) exposition on what each individual Avenger is currently doing, gives the viewer a glimpse on what the bad guy is up to, then dives right back into more action. Perhaps the first hour felt slow because the second hour was an absolute non-stop adrenaline fueled thrill ride. That's my best guess.
    5) Nothing but mindless fight scenes.
    ~I don't know how to reply to this, other than ask...have you read a comic book? Ever? There is, on average, a pretty good bit of fighting. Which, most comic book readers will agree, is not a bad thing as long as its done well. In The Avengers...it is done very well.
    6) The dialogue was terrible.
    ~I digress that some characters are less interesting to listen to than others. However, that is not something you can fault the movie for. Every character works at their maximum capacity, & every actor fulfills their roles quite well. You cannot blame the movie or Chris Hemsworth for Thor having epic sounding if somewhat stiff dialogue. You cannot blame Joss Whedon or Mark Ruffalo for Bruce Banner seeming somewhat bland, boring, or shy. They are playing the characters perfectly, absolutely spot-on! Not every member of The Avengers gets to be the witty & sharp tongued Tony Stark.

In closing...I am sure I missed some complaints. Those are the ones that burned foremost in my mind. Is The Avengers a landmark groundbreaking masterpiece? No.
    Is it a work of art that will be discussed in classrooms? No.
    Is it a damned fun movie that hits all of the right spots, pushes the right buttons, & pleases its target audience? Hell yes. It is certainly that.
    Will there be a sequel? Without doubt.
  3. May 5, 2012
    very good movie. Cannot go wrong that's for sure. I give it an 8 because the story simply is not as good as super hero movies like batman. The action is really good and the effects are awesome. Definitely worth seeing.
  4. May 5, 2012
    Please don't listen to the snobby anti-genre movie reviews. As a guy who enjoys a good introspective, quiet indie full of symbolism and heavy thought... this was a GOOD movie. No, a GREAT movie. I laughed, I clapped, I felt for the characters on screen. Joss Whedon remains a figure of cult hysteria because his scripts tap into the minds of a generation, and rightly so. He does nothing lessPlease don't listen to the snobby anti-genre movie reviews. As a guy who enjoys a good introspective, quiet indie full of symbolism and heavy thought... this was a GOOD movie. No, a GREAT movie. I laughed, I clapped, I felt for the characters on screen. Joss Whedon remains a figure of cult hysteria because his scripts tap into the minds of a generation, and rightly so. He does nothing less in this film, and every single actor is up to the challenge. Of particular note here are Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk - and the best version so far. It's hard to tell how much of this is creditable to Ruffalo's display as Banner and how much credit goes to the writing and CG wizards behind this version of the not-so-jolly green giant. But I will say that this movie finally shed the idea that a proper exploration of the Hulk has to be cerebral, introspective, and outright depressing. This Hulk manages to be both affecting AND fun, and Ruffalo's Banner is just as interesting as the "other guy."

RDJ as Tony Stark continues to impress. Honestly, there's no real weak link in the cast. I was a little worried about Sam Jackson's ability to wrap his mouth around Whedon's poppy dialogue, but his Nick Fury carried a fantastic amount of gravitas and screen presence, and really added dramatic weight I was surprised to see from an actor who has become (sadly) better known for his culty larger-than-life persona than his acting.

All in all, this is just a fantastic film, and one I plan to see in the theater again before it leaves - an activity I rarely do in the time of high-priced entertainment. Kudos Whedon, kudos Marvel. I am in awe.
  5. May 4, 2012
    The Avengers is the best Marvel film to date and quite possibly the best superhero movie I've seen in terms of all-out action spectacle, humor, and replay value. Tony Stark has so much more character development here than in the self-obsessed and flat Iron Man 2, it's nice to see Iron Man getting to do more intricate work aboard the helicarrier than just blowing stuff up. Chris' Evans andThe Avengers is the best Marvel film to date and quite possibly the best superhero movie I've seen in terms of all-out action spectacle, humor, and replay value. Tony Stark has so much more character development here than in the self-obsessed and flat Iron Man 2, it's nice to see Iron Man getting to do more intricate work aboard the helicarrier than just blowing stuff up. Chris' Evans and Hemsworth did an awesome job as the no-nonsense living legend super soldier and the huggable god of thunder respectively. Joss Whedon does an amazing job balancing the screen time for all the heroes and everyone gets their chance to shine, Black Widow and Hawkeye get to have their own complete story-arcs and S.H.I.E.L.D. Director Nick Fury, Agent's Maria Hill and Coulson also had their moments and they took it well with the most pivotal scene of the film. But the big surprise is Mark Ruffalo who really steals the show as Dr Bruce Banner/Hulk, he's nailed down the relationship between the scientist and the big guy down to a T, and he has all of the funniest scenes in the Avengers.
    Loved the first two acts, the first meet-up of the characters, the confrontations are all top draw but the highlights for me are the vocal interactions between everyone, whether it's between Stark/Banner, Stark/Cap, Coulson/Cap, Loki/Thor, Loki/Widow, Widow'Hawk and what have you is all perfect and I'd be more than happy if the movie would've been four hours long just to see them all bouncing off each other and that's all credit to the smart witty screenplay by Whedon. Every scene is so well made and the script compelling and essential to moving the plot forward, the most memorable moment for me was when Cap was putting on his suit while a Mozart-esque symphony is playing in the backdrop and loved all the pop culture references especially Stark's nickname for the Hawk. The final third of the movie is all-out mayhem and watching the team come together to save Manhattan from a never-ending wave of an alien race who-shall-not-be-named attacks is absolutely exhilarating and the one long continuous shot of all the Avengers in the heat of battle is captivating. It proves the point of how character build-up and the tension watching our superheroes fight and play-off each other in the first two acts and have the final battle in context can make for a more engaging and extraordinary spectacle than just mindlessly blowing things up because you have to. It's the best action set-piece I've ever seen and it's so over the top in an amazing way. When you walk out of the cinema I promise your craving for a very well made superhero movie that's not dumbed down and at the same time not as gritty and dark will be satiated. It's pure indulgence.
  6. May 27, 2012
    I think this was my very first movie I watched in 2012 and I gotta say, I liked it. My initial concerns were about how the movie would live up to this enormous hype it had already built up and how Joss Whedon, a director I have never even heard of, would develop the personalities of multiple characters the movie has. Surprisingly enough, he exceeded my expectations in a good way. The storyI think this was my very first movie I watched in 2012 and I gotta say, I liked it. My initial concerns were about how the movie would live up to this enormous hype it had already built up and how Joss Whedon, a director I have never even heard of, would develop the personalities of multiple characters the movie has. Surprisingly enough, he exceeded my expectations in a good way. The story and dialogue was created with full blown Hollywood style treatment, but it was witty, enjoyable, and had a solid point. The character development was also strong, something that most directors cannot handle due to the fact that making 7 superheroes individually stand out is pretty difficult. But hey, Joss Whedon did it, so I give huge credit and respect for it. Anyways, long words short, in my opinion this was a good summer blockbuster, keeping constant of it's premise and living up to the hype. Recommended watching. Expand
  7. Mar 17, 2013
    An exciting thrill ride from start to finish. This is exactly what you expect in a summer block buster. It's not easy to take this many superheroes and keep all the characters relevant that's a credit to Joss Whedon.
  8. May 24, 2012
    A great movie with good characters and special effects but the drama in the middle of the movie is tedious. The movie could be more epic if Spiderman and the Fantasic Four join in the fun since they are Marvel characters.
  9. Dec 28, 2012
    After dozens of teasers hidden in each of the heroes individual movies The Avengers is finally here, and it doesn't disappoint. It's filled with draw dropping action, and some hilarious moments. Every superhero is excellently fleshed out and work well together, and no hero receives more attention than another. It excellently captures the feel of each individual hero as well as show someAfter dozens of teasers hidden in each of the heroes individual movies The Avengers is finally here, and it doesn't disappoint. It's filled with draw dropping action, and some hilarious moments. Every superhero is excellently fleshed out and work well together, and no hero receives more attention than another. It excellently captures the feel of each individual hero as well as show some new sides of their personalities. The Avengers is everything I wanted it to be, and I don't see how it could have turned out any better. It's one of the best superhero movies of all time. Expand
  10. Jun 28, 2012
    The Avengers is a great film, and really shows off the iconic Marvel superhero team. It has a quite long running time which is great because it allowed more detail than if it were shorter. Aswell as the action that we all knew it would contain, the film also contained some light humour and a few dramatic scenes which made this such a good film that everyone should enjoy. In conclusion, itThe Avengers is a great film, and really shows off the iconic Marvel superhero team. It has a quite long running time which is great because it allowed more detail than if it were shorter. Aswell as the action that we all knew it would contain, the film also contained some light humour and a few dramatic scenes which made this such a good film that everyone should enjoy. In conclusion, it has got to easily be one of the best films of the year, and I am sure that other people would agree with me. Expand
  11. Jun 15, 2012
    It's finally arrived - the blockbuster to end all blockbusters. So, is it any good? In short, yes it is. Over the last four years, Marvel has delivered a series of mostly underwhelming origin films that seemed to spend as much time setting up The Avengers as they did introducing the hero on the poster. Incredibly, Mr Whedon has managed to bring together all the Marvel big-hitters, playedIt's finally arrived - the blockbuster to end all blockbusters. So, is it any good? In short, yes it is. Over the last four years, Marvel has delivered a series of mostly underwhelming origin films that seemed to spend as much time setting up The Avengers as they did introducing the hero on the poster. Incredibly, Mr Whedon has managed to bring together all the Marvel big-hitters, played by some seriously big personalities, and somehow make it work as one film, with every character equally serviced and their place amongst this all-star roster well-earned. The highlight of the impressive cast is definitely Mark Ruffalo, playing the latest incarnation of Bruce Banner/The Hulk (though he's the first actor to truly play both sides of the character with the assistance of motion-capture). Whedon appears to truly understand the character, and Ruffalo is able to effectively communicate to the viewer through a sensitive and understated performance the extreme fear, paranoia and depression of Bruce Banner, and by really letting rip in his mo-cap suit he demonstrates the volatility and terrifying power of "the other guy". Robert Downey, Jr.'s wisecracking playboy Tony Stark/Iron Man continues to entertain, and Whedon gives Downey the very best lines in the film - my personal favourite being when Stark is trying to reign in the furious new arrival Thor (Chris Hemsworth) and mocks his flowing red cloak with "doth your mother know you weareth her drapes?". Scarlett Johansson also easily manages to hold her own in a largely testosterone-fuelled cast, and manages to develop Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow from the stereotypical sexy femme fatale we saw in Iron Man 2 to a fully-rounded, deadly and viciously intelligent character tormented by her violent past that we see here. The final act shows the true potential of a modern big-budget superhero film; with the six heroes working together to defend Manhattan from an alien invasion lead by the increasingly manic tyrannical Asgardian exile Loki (Tom Hiddleston). In one particularly slick and visually eye-popping moment the camera snakes its way through the city and in one unbroken shot takes in each of the Avengers in turn working as a team to repel the invaders. The most rewarding and enjoyable moments for me, however, were on a far smaller scale and from much earlier in the film. In one particularly fine scene from the first act, Black Widow travels to Calcutta to persuade reclusive Bruce Banner to join SHIELD forces as a consultant on gamma radiation, and the on-edge scientist feigns a transformation into his greener side to test Romanoff's true intentions. I also loved Black Widow's interrogation of Loki later in the film - the scene gives Johansson and Hiddleston plenty of room to play off each other and it's intelligently scripted, brilliantly tense and beautifully performed by the actors, resulting in an incredibly revealing moment for both of their characters. The Avengers is exactly what a great blockbuster should be - grounded enough to be relevant and dramatically effective in the contemporary world (with references to worldwide energy shortages, WMDs and the terrifying future of warfare) but also fantastical enough to be fun, and to provide a level of escapism for the audience (it is about a group of very special guys and gals in funny costumes fighting aliens, after all!). I must admit, the film does lose momentum a couple of times, and there are some incredibly convenient plot devices employed firstly to get the heroes together, and secondly to tie things up towards the end, but you can't really hold these minor gripes against a filmmaker like Joss Whedon. This is a man who has achieved the impossible in making Marvel's crowning glory worthy of the time and effort dedicated to laying its groundwork over the last half-decade, and with the addition of his trademark playful sense of humour, the film doesn't look like it's taking itself too seriously, which could have been fatal. Awesome is a criminally misapplied adjective in this day and age, but there really is no better way to describe this super-powered extravaganza. Unless Hulktastic is a word, that is. Expand
  12. Nov 18, 2014
    Honestly not as amazing as people say, for most it seems like it was their first time at the cinemas or they were transported from 1965 to see this now. The writing is terrific and character dynamic great but it's not something I would buy on DVD or watch again because there isn't much emotional connection for me, I am not in love with the characters. It's what I expect from marvel, theirHonestly not as amazing as people say, for most it seems like it was their first time at the cinemas or they were transported from 1965 to see this now. The writing is terrific and character dynamic great but it's not something I would buy on DVD or watch again because there isn't much emotional connection for me, I am not in love with the characters. It's what I expect from marvel, their superhero movies are usually kind of tacky, but once Iron Man came out in 2008, they sparked a new light after everyone hated Spider-Man 3. But The Avengers reguvinates this superhero franchise, I was predicting a 4 or 5 out of 10 movie, but it manages to succeed. Expand
  13. Jun 16, 2013
    In the decade it's taken to bring everything together, we've continually been promised that the Avengers would be the superhero movie to change all superhero movies and it's a damn good thing, because I really hate superhero movies. Three things made this film standout and shine over the many, many superhero films that have been released. The most obvious thing is the huge, superstar,In the decade it's taken to bring everything together, we've continually been promised that the Avengers would be the superhero movie to change all superhero movies and it's a damn good thing, because I really hate superhero movies. Three things made this film standout and shine over the many, many superhero films that have been released. The most obvious thing is the huge, superstar, cast. Not only is it incredibly difficult to bring a cast like this together, but to get them to work together, without getting in each others way must have been nearly impossible. Second, even though the film involves superheroes and outer space, it seems somewhat realistic to us. These heroes have families, personalities, feelings, people get hurt, and some people even die, letting us see the human side of these characters. Finally, the Direction of Joss Whedon brings it all together. Whedon has always had this unique ability to put his own style on spin on things, at first it seems strange, but ultimately we come to love it. He is such an underrated Director, who brings so much to everything he's a part of, and it's great to see him get to do a huge project like this. The Avengers was special, not only because it took a decade to make, but because if you saw all the individual movies first, like I did, you feel a connection to these guys, it's almost like you know them personally and you expect them to act in certain ways when they all come together. The individual films really built up the excitement and helped the Avengers to become a billion dollar earner at the box office. From the performances to the special effects this was once exciting, terrific movie, and may be as close to perfect as a superhero movie will ever get. Expand
  14. Aug 23, 2013
    The Avengers at first dissapointed me, but it grew on me. The film gradually builds up from being boring and full of emotionless events and non-exciting action to an extremely exciting climax, the middle of the film was suspence filled build up to the climax near the end. The near-end climax of the story and action did not dissapoint me, as it was one of the most exciting group of scenesThe Avengers at first dissapointed me, but it grew on me. The film gradually builds up from being boring and full of emotionless events and non-exciting action to an extremely exciting climax, the middle of the film was suspence filled build up to the climax near the end. The near-end climax of the story and action did not dissapoint me, as it was one of the most exciting group of scenes in all movies. The acting and character building was great in this film; although the story wasn't the best, it was pretty darn good and certainly kept me watching but the story wasn't the only thing keeping me watching... The action was non-stop and incredibly exciting throughout the last 50 minutes, it made me smile to see all of the characters work together to save the citizens of New York and, well, the world.
    Although The Avengers starts blandly and boringly, it gradually builds up to an incredibly exciting climax; The Avengers may not be the best super hero film I've seen, but it's still very good and definetely deserves to be watched around the world. So I give this film a... 87/100!
  15. Jun 15, 2012
    Felt like I actually got my moneys worth for a change with this movie. I saw it twice. Pure entertainment. It is comic book style. Of course this movie was not going to break literary ground. O took my kids and wife to this movie and we laughed the whole way home. What more can you expect from a piece of fiction?
  16. Dec 5, 2012
    I loved this movie! I saw it 3 times in theaters and I'm not ashamed to admit that. The reason I liked this film so much was because it was everything it could and should have been; for a blockbuster, that's a mighty accomplishment...(Full Review Later)...
  17. Jul 12, 2013
    Avengers is a great superhero flick combining the efforts of a number of superhero films and putting the leading starts together. It's slow paced at times, and rather long, but this is definitely made up for when it comes to the Action scenes, in particular towards the end. I'm still not a big Iron Man fan but he's bareable in this, but everyone else is pretty likable and they all do aAvengers is a great superhero flick combining the efforts of a number of superhero films and putting the leading starts together. It's slow paced at times, and rather long, but this is definitely made up for when it comes to the Action scenes, in particular towards the end. I'm still not a big Iron Man fan but he's bareable in this, but everyone else is pretty likable and they all do a great job. Overall it's clearly one for the fans but I'm not a major superhero lover and I enjoyed it too! Expand
  18. Jan 4, 2015
    By no 2nd close I think this is the best movie Marvel is yet to put out there. Even though I'm writing this review a couple years after the movies release I still think these things are true. Good acting, an OK dialogue and a lot of entertaining moments make for a GOOD movie. Notice how I didn't put great or just good, it was kind of in between.
  19. Jul 25, 2013
    This is a fantastically made movie, with incredible acting and visuals. The dialogue is great, humorous and is almost ripped from the comics! (with the exception of Hawkeye) However when you look at the film from a normal viewers perspective, it's Transformers: Dark of the Moon, seriously the climax is very similar but in this you'll actually care! Worth a watch, will definitely notThis is a fantastically made movie, with incredible acting and visuals. The dialogue is great, humorous and is almost ripped from the comics! (with the exception of Hawkeye) However when you look at the film from a normal viewers perspective, it's Transformers: Dark of the Moon, seriously the climax is very similar but in this you'll actually care! Worth a watch, will definitely not disappoint but it's no magnum opus. Expand
  20. Jan 30, 2015
    I'll admit it's cheesy, but The Avengers is also insanely enjoyable, exciting, and well acted. Everyone brings their A-game, and Joss Whedon masterfully creates the nerd film of the century.
    Insane fun. 9/10
  21. Jul 4, 2013
    Walking out of the movie theater, all I could say was "Wow." With enough spectacle and a great story line, this is one of Marvel's greatest films to date. "The Avengers" is humorous, inventive, and uses all of the superheroes in the Avengers to creative a witty tale that uses top notch actors to deliver.
  22. Jul 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you are familiar with Whedon's stuff, then you know what to expect from this film.
    The first part of the film involves the interaction of these superhero characters: for those who have not seen the previous related films (Thor, Captain America, the Hulk and Iron Man films) this serves as an introduction to these characters, as well as insight into other lesser known heroes. For the rest of us it's a fun clash, filled with great one-liners and show of power as one tries to outdo the other. Even though this takes up half of the film it is done in a fast-paced action-filled manner that is not only far from boring (even to those of us familiar with the characters) but insightful (and funny did I mention the film is funny?).
    The second part of the film sees these characters come together to fight the common enemy. As unlikely as it seems, they find a way to not only support each other but also to acknowledge each others worth. The film manages to get all the characters have their time to shine and prove that they are indispensable to the team, which is no mean feat seeing as there are so many of them.
    The action scenes are plentiful, grand and clean, meaning that there is no wibbly-wobbly camera work or annoying quick-action blink-and-you'll-miss-it garbage.
    The plot has a few holes in it examples in the bracket following warning! spoiler alert within the brackets!
    (we hear Loki has killed at least 80 people and the Avengers continue to bicker, however when one agent dies they decide to put their differences aside?! The Hulk appears and tries to kill Black Widow, but when Toni Stark calls on him to return he is one of the Avengers?! Maybe there where explanations but I either missed them or found them a bit too thin).
    Having said that, the characters where engaging, the action plentiful and the humour marvelous so as to allow me to let such plot-holes slide. Did I mention that I really loved the humour in this film?

The acting wasn't exactly oscar-worthy (but then again neither is that of some recent oscar-winners) however it is enough to make them as believable as any comic-book character can get. The exception here is Mark Ruffalo's Bruce Banner/Hulk. Exceptional work, giving a quiet-storm-like quality to Bruce Banner and all the intensity needed for the Hulk.

The 3D was a bit disappointing I expected more in-your-face, duck-to-get-outta-the-way imagery, but then again maybe that was intentional, making it sure I didn't miss a scene.

Overall, a fun (did I mention how funny the film was?) action-packed film, over 2 hours long and I didn't even notice! Well worth seeing!
  23. Jul 24, 2013
    This movie is brilliant from start to finish.The villan is perfect but so are the superheroes. The last battle is entertaining as well as enthralling.
  24. Jul 28, 2013
    Melhor filme de super-heróis/ação de todos os tempos, sem sombra de dúvida e esse filme não tem como enjoar já assisti ele 3 vezes seguidas sem cansar, sempre que não tenho nada pra fazer vejo ele, já vi mais vezes do que consigo contar e ainda vejo.
  25. Aug 1, 2013
    The Avengers was absolutely incredible, it had the right amount of explosive action, it was hysterical, everything the perfect superhero movie movie needs and what superhero fans want and then some times six. The Avengers in one word was simply "marvel"ous!
  26. Aug 24, 2013
    Enough action to go with the plot, which is remarkably sensible and it's pacing get's to the main point quickly. The depth of each characters personalities (especially those of Mark Ruffalo and Robert Downey Jr.) interrelate to create this energetic tone to the film. It's and eye popping extravaganza.
  27. Aug 22, 2013
    Man, where to begin...this is one of my favorite movies of the last 12 years. This movie exceeded my expectations. The cast could not have been picked better. RDJ did a phenomenal job as Tony Stark as he always does, Chris Evans redeemed himself from the Fantastic Four with Captain America and came back with a vengeance here. Chris Hemsworth, well done. Jeremy Renner, didn't know him untilMan, where to begin...this is one of my favorite movies of the last 12 years. This movie exceeded my expectations. The cast could not have been picked better. RDJ did a phenomenal job as Tony Stark as he always does, Chris Evans redeemed himself from the Fantastic Four with Captain America and came back with a vengeance here. Chris Hemsworth, well done. Jeremy Renner, didn't know him until this movie. Damn. And what can I say about Mark Ruffalo? Best damn Bruce Banner portrayal since Lou Ferigno. WELL done! The plot was fluid, it made sense, it was engaging, gripping and didn't lose my attention at all. The fact that they connected every movie before it together to make this: Iron Man 1 and 2, Thor, Captain America and The Incredible Hulk. Amazing idea and it worked perfectly. This is as close to a perfect Marvel action film as there can be. Expand
  28. Dec 21, 2014
    Marvel 's Iconic superheroes assembles in one amazing Movie.The Avengers is a great film in general with amazing heroes and fantastic actors portraying with awesome visual effects,Good story and great character development.The Villain,Loki,is a great villain ,Tom Hiddleston did a great job portraying his character.The Avengers is a great summer blockbuster!
  29. Apr 26, 2013
    Not only is The Avengers a great film by itself, its also a great; Iron Man movie, Captain America movie, Hulk movie and Thor movie. With the huge potential of failure from the unprecedented build up, it is one of the biggest comic book achievements ever
  30. May 15, 2013
    The mother of all Superhero movies. Really enjoyed it, Absolutely Electrified me. The Avengers definitely was the cherry on top of the cake of Marvels Phase 1 and will be loved by fans in this entire realm for Generations to come.
  31. May 6, 2012
    i left the theater in awe. it's the first time i've ever wanted to rewatch a movie right away. while the plot of the villain was pretty standard, seeing these heroes together and how they interact was perfect. highly recommended.
  32. Jul 25, 2012
    This movie right here. One of the best experiences I've had in a movie theater. The dialogue was witty and the characters very well-written. Joss Whedon did a phenomenal job. As far as movies go, this was one of the most entertaining movies I have ever seen. Though far more than just action, once it gets going, it is so good. The action-packed final 30 minutes are some of the bestThis movie right here. One of the best experiences I've had in a movie theater. The dialogue was witty and the characters very well-written. Joss Whedon did a phenomenal job. As far as movies go, this was one of the most entertaining movies I have ever seen. Though far more than just action, once it gets going, it is so good. The action-packed final 30 minutes are some of the best sequences I've seen on film. The Avengers, to me, is the new gold standard for comic book movies. It doesn't get much better than this. Expand
  33. May 12, 2012
    "Joss Whedon is a freaking Genius" . It was so difficult to put together something like this but his amazing Story and Direction made the movie awesome . It was very thrilling and the action scenes were incredible and its had some really funny moment too which tells that the movie is not boring at all. Robart , Tom was the best as they were before. Hamsworth was good but not better then"Joss Whedon is a freaking Genius" . It was so difficult to put together something like this but his amazing Story and Direction made the movie awesome . It was very thrilling and the action scenes were incredible and its had some really funny moment too which tells that the movie is not boring at all. Robart , Tom was the best as they were before. Hamsworth was good but not better then he was on Thor . Evans on the other seemed kinda different . seems like he was too angry about everything . Scarlet was super and her action scenes were perfect but hated her hair style. S.l.Jackson and Jeremy was super too . And last Cobie was the surprise of the film . I saw her every week on HIMYM but here seeing her beauty just made my day ! plus her custom was WahaaoooO !!!
    Effect was good as well as al the other work . But I didnt like the theme song that much . It wasnt bad but its not catchy like other superhero films.Overall The Avengers is a total perfect Entertainment !

Really want to thank The Avengers Creator Stan "The Man" Lee (Respect)! and co-creator Jack Kirby.

tnx to Marvel , Disney & Kevin for taking this Dream Project and turning it into a freaking awesome movie !
  34. May 8, 2012
    1 dimentional characters, weak plot, over the top.......
    1 dimentional characters, weak plot, over the top.......
    If this is the description of fun then give me Avengers any day. This film is fun & exciting. I've not had such a good, mindless & happy time at the piccies for a very very long time. I loved this film from start to finish. It's been a long time since I didn't want a film to end. Avengers is excellent fun, it never takes itself too seriously and has some cracking one liners and visual comedy thrown in for good measure. There's even respect for the eldest member of the team towards the end. Go and see this movie if you want to enjoy a trip to the piccies.
  35. May 12, 2012
    THE AVENGERS is yet again more proof that Joss Whedon is a genius and is one of the greatest filmmakers of today. The Avengers is brilliantly written, contains great humour, well-done action sequences and visuals and great performances from the cast. The Avengers is probably one of the greatest superhero movies of all time!
  36. May 12, 2012
    This movie is just made of WIN, truly mind-blowing but also thought provoking. Definitely not one of those action hero movies where the switching off of one's mind is compulsory.
  37. May 6, 2012
    The only way you will not enjoy this movie is if you already don't want to. It is everything an action movie should be. Each member of the Avengers fills their roll perfectly, saving the best parts of the movie for when they finally come together as a team. The excitement that sprouts very early on grows and grows throughout the story and flowers beautifully at the very end. This is aThe only way you will not enjoy this movie is if you already don't want to. It is everything an action movie should be. Each member of the Avengers fills their roll perfectly, saving the best parts of the movie for when they finally come together as a team. The excitement that sprouts very early on grows and grows throughout the story and flowers beautifully at the very end. This is a movie I thought would be "just okay". It completely demolished my expectations. Expand
  38. May 12, 2012
    This movie has flow, comedy and good character development. It is what you hope for when you go to see the movies. I don't make sweeping generalizations without substance unless I feel certain, this movie is brilliant.

Just go see it.
    It's worth the 10 I'm giving it.
  39. May 18, 2012
    I have not been this entertained by a film in quite some time. Whedon didn't make a film, but conducted a symphony of entertainment. Action, humor, banter, dialogue, all worked in seamless harmony. Unaccustomed to such a level of entertainment, I was mesmerized. If time flies when having fun, this movie was exactly that. 2hrs 45mins flew by, with every second as welcome as the first.
  40. May 5, 2012
    The Avengers is about exactly what I expected it to be. A very well done superhero movie. It's by no means going to be nominated for any awards, but it was the perfect Friday night guilty pleasure. I went to see it with my 10 year old son. Even though I read the comics, and he didn't, he knew more about the characters than I did. I blame video games.
  41. May 5, 2012
    While this isn't a perfect movie, as far as the recent action focused superhero movies go it is the best of the bunch. Action, humor and small spots of drama come together with bits of fan service to make an enjoyable experience for long time fans of the comics and new viewers alike. Some of the dialogue and story feels rushed in places and you can tell some things were glossed over toWhile this isn't a perfect movie, as far as the recent action focused superhero movies go it is the best of the bunch. Action, humor and small spots of drama come together with bits of fan service to make an enjoyable experience for long time fans of the comics and new viewers alike. Some of the dialogue and story feels rushed in places and you can tell some things were glossed over to provide a smooth continuity but, at least with me, there weren't any large questions unanswered or things left hanging. In fact my biggest complaint would be that I had to see it in 3D because there was no other option, and as with every other 3D movie its too hard to see clearly when there's fact paced action going on or when there are close ups that take up a majority of the screen. Expand
  42. May 13, 2012
    This movie was extremely fun to watch and also had a good plot. It was fun to see all the different guys come together. The humor was pretty damn good for an action movie. It was also cool seeing Captain America (Chris Evans) because he grew up in my hometown. This is a movie I would watch again.
  43. K_T
    May 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is perfect, but I want to be very clear about what I mean about that. I'm not saying that everyone should think this movie is perfect, or even that everyone should like it. Nor do I think that it being perfect makes it better than other movies I think are less perfect. All I'm saying is that The Avengers, and Joss Whedon handled what they were working with flawlessly in my mind. So I want to talk about a few things that I think Joss Whedon handled perfectly.

Joss Whedon made a movie that blended well with all the universes he had been given by the other marvel movies (Iron Man, Captain America, etc). Specifiaclly he didn't try to get more out of it then he could. All of the superhero prequel movies before this weren't built as entertaining but not all together thought provoking endevours. So going into an ansamble piece like this helmed by a new director, there's a huge risk of the new piece clashing in tone with the seperate prequel pieces. So while Joss Whedon might have been able to make an elaborate dark Avengers Movie, similar to The Watchmen or The Dark Knight, he couldn't do that without conflicting with the universe of movies he was suppose to be working in.

A second thing Joss Whedon handled well was character development, or rather lack therof (in a good way). There was no "team building" emotional lessons or character changes throughout the movie, and I think that's a good thing. I was worried coming into this that we'd see the Avengers unable to function at all with eachother and then they'd grow to love each other and no longer fight. This worried me because this type of thing is so poorly handled normally. In the Avengers Tony Stark is the same narcasystic playfull jackass the character was known for. So certainly there are team conflictions with that personality, mostly Captain America whose much more straight forward, but these don't get in the way of the simple fact that these people are already superhero's. Despite how they feel about eachother each of them (sans HULK) is genuinley interested in helping the weak. The best example of this is about halfway through the movie Captain America and Stark are arguing and Cap is Saying "put on the suit", taunting him to get this argument to come to blows to settle it. And all of the sudden in the middle of this an explosion errupts and the Avengers' ship is under attack, and without missing a step Captain America says to a recovering Stark "Okay seriously put on the suit" as they race off to combat the threat. To me this very clearly showed that Joss Whedon understood the characters he was working with, and how to aproach them. In Iron Man (one) we see Tony Stark learn through his traumatic experience that there are things more important than himself. He saw that despite himself he needed to save those in harm's way. So I feel like it would have felt insulting to come to this movie and Stark had to learn those feelings all over again because he was to busy arguing with Captain American and let that get in the way of being a hero, but that's not how the movie handled it thankfully. As coy and sarcastic and antiauthoritarian as Stark is, he's still a superhero. So it would have seemed weird if he let a petty argument prevent him from saving someone. And Joss Whedon showed that perfectly. Yeah Stark and Captain were being petty and going after eachother but the moment people were in danger all of that got put on hold and they functioned together perfectly. And thats how it should be. They're both Superhero's there's only so much you can show of them not being able to function together before it becomes illogical.

I had a lot more to talk about like Whedon's use of dichotomy, and the need for the massive battle at the end of the movie, but I'm running short on characters so I'll just pick one last thing. Whedon's Avengers captured the Hulk better than any modern attempt to date. In both the Eric Bana and Edward Norton movies I feel like the Hulk was poorley displayed to capture it's meaning. (Though I think Edward Norton was amazing in the movie) But in the first two Hulk movies of this millenia, what the Hulk is was poorly captured. In both movies what's shown is a Dr. Banner being hunted by the military and the Hulk responding and destroying them. So the feeling of uncontrolled rage never translated because despite the chaos the Hulk was still targeting people trying to kill him. And that made the climax of those movies less meaningful. But in this movie the first time we see the Hulk he's rampaging after a frail girl (okay black Widow, but in comparison) who has no intention to harm him. So the feeling of uncontrolled rage translates to the watcher really well. And at the end of the movie when the Hulk displays somewhat controlled Rage, in a 'these guys are beating up the guys i'm beating up, well i won't go after them then', the contrast seemed more meaningful.
  44. May 12, 2012
    This film was great - it had fantastic visuals, nice characters, breathtaking fights and kept me interested all the time. I consider it a great success :) There were also genuine comedic moments, when the entire cinema laughed. I enjoyed it very, very much and this is what is all about.
  45. May 7, 2012
    Best Marvel film yet? Maybe not. Best Joss Whedon film? Nope, Serenity's smarter and darker, and the Whedon co-written The Cabin In The Woods is more ambitious. But what makes The Avengers so impressive is how it manages to stick to a classic comicbook/action formula, yet somehow feel utterly fresh and distinct. Be it the script, the settings, or the combination of so many superheroesBest Marvel film yet? Maybe not. Best Joss Whedon film? Nope, Serenity's smarter and darker, and the Whedon co-written The Cabin In The Woods is more ambitious. But what makes The Avengers so impressive is how it manages to stick to a classic comicbook/action formula, yet somehow feel utterly fresh and distinct. Be it the script, the settings, or the combination of so many superheroes sharing screen space - all freed from an origins story arc or sequel expectations - it just feels--- new, and gleefully satisfying. The characters are bold, yet feel human. And the action is spectacular but never dehumanising (we don't *need* to see civilians being killed during the major set-pieces).

It also absolutely nails a universal audience appeal. Marvel nerds (of which I'm one) can obviously love it, but I've not heard a packed cinema laugh so hard a film for a long time. You really don't need to be a fan to appreciate some of the dialogue or the standout visual gags. Whedon never patronises the audience, giving his characters room to breathe every now and then. But crucially he never forgets why you've paid for a ticket and are sitting in front of that screen: you're there, above all else, to be entertained - and gorram it, he delivers...
  46. May 23, 2012
    A very risky movie to make considering the abundance of heroes. It could have used more information about the army of other-worldly creatures so willing to invade another planet. Looking forward to the inevitable sequel.
  47. May 4, 2012
    Joss Whedon's Avengers is a funny, engaging and thrilling movie that stays true to the characters established in the previous Marvel movies. Great chemistry exists between the leads and you can tell they had a blast filming it. The story is a little too simplistic but other than that this movie is firing on all cylinders. What separates this from so many other superhero movies is that TheJoss Whedon's Avengers is a funny, engaging and thrilling movie that stays true to the characters established in the previous Marvel movies. Great chemistry exists between the leads and you can tell they had a blast filming it. The story is a little too simplistic but other than that this movie is firing on all cylinders. What separates this from so many other superhero movies is that The Avengers has heart, the rarest thing of all in a Hollywood blockbuster and something that is impossible to fake. Expand
  48. May 4, 2012
    In all honesty i don't see how they could've made this film anymore spectacular than it was. As a superhero fanboy (especially Marvel) i was in utter awe during the entire duration of the film. Joss Whedon did an absolutely amazing job directing and writing this blockbuster film. It certainly isn't an easy task making a film like this work but he sure did. I especially love how he madeIn all honesty i don't see how they could've made this film anymore spectacular than it was. As a superhero fanboy (especially Marvel) i was in utter awe during the entire duration of the film. Joss Whedon did an absolutely amazing job directing and writing this blockbuster film. It certainly isn't an easy task making a film like this work but he sure did. I especially love how he made Bruce Banner/ the Hulk and Black Widow more of the 2 key characters. It was unexpected but i loved it. I also liked how they finally made the Hulk more of a good guy because he's always seen as a bad guy in every film you see. He also looked more like the actor playing Bruce Banner FINALLY! He didn't look ridiculous and unrecognizable for once. On to other things, the comedy in this film was just plain hilarious, and it was of course centered around Iron Man (Tony Stark). With the occasional jokes from Thor and how he is not familiar with Earth and Captain America being, well..old or outdated might be a better word. The action was just non-stop and absolutely mind-blowing. It was just perfect, i literally saw no flaws in the spectacle of explosion after explosion, and the CGI was just beautiful because it was perfect. While i was watching this movie, it didn't feel like a movie, it felt like something more, thats how fantastic it was. The acting was spot on, the plot was better than expected, and i can't praise Joss Whedons job on blending the chracters and their stories together enough. He just did such an amazing job, words can't even desribe. Loki was awesome, he was the definition of a villain. Slick, evil, and genius. I felt frigid during certain scenes with him because of how chilling his character was portrayed. All around this film itself is just perfect. The only flaw i saw was the 3D was nothing special so if you cannot decide, go with the 2D because the 3D is not worth the extra cash, but otherwise the actual film itself is perfect.The Avengers is not just a film, it's a cinematic event, and you will love it from the very beginning all the way until the classic end of the credits scene. I cannot wait to watch this film again. Whether you are a superhero fan or not you have to love this film, and if you are a superhero fan like myself, get ready to experience the best 2 and a half hours of film ever made. If i could give this more than a 10 i would! You must see this movie now! Expand
  49. May 7, 2012
    I think my brain exploded from an overload of awesomeness! If you are a fan of all the previous solo films... get ready for the best payoff we've all been waiting for since the release of the first Iron Man. I'm going back for seconds!
  50. May 4, 2012
    The Avengers is not as good as The Dark Knight, I'm just going to say that from the off, the storyline is escapism and it has some genuinely funny moments in it, but it doesn't have the deep characters or visual spectacle. Joss Whedon's script keeps the film going, and lets be honest, this film could have been a train wreck. What makes The Avengers tick is the relationships that each ofThe Avengers is not as good as The Dark Knight, I'm just going to say that from the off, the storyline is escapism and it has some genuinely funny moments in it, but it doesn't have the deep characters or visual spectacle. Joss Whedon's script keeps the film going, and lets be honest, this film could have been a train wreck. What makes The Avengers tick is the relationships that each of the characters have with one another. This is where the film really takes flight, when all the characters are in a pressure cooker together, it gives the film weight and suspense especially with Mark Ruffalo's Hulk. Joss Whedon should be given a lot of credit for crafting such a cohesive and well thought out script.

The film script is what keeps it above board, visuals have never been Joss Whedon's strong suit, but I did notice a wink to his first feature film Serenity in a zoom shot near the finale. The film doesn't look bad by any means it just has the same sheen that the other Marvel films seem to sport, but it had to be this way to fit all the heroes together. But lack of visual flair is sometimes what makes me dislike these movies, they look too clean and have a sheen that makes it look too cartoony for my personal taste. The Xmen films and Burton and Nolan's Batman films seem to not have these "sheens" to them, which make them visually more appealing to me.

I've also never been a fan of 3D even when it works superbly like in Avatar, its just a gimmick to make more money most of the time. So I'd recommend watching Avengers in 2D, as it doesn't add anything to the film being in that third dimension.

Its very difficult to score this film as it is by and large a fantastic superhero film, thats enjoyable from beginning to end. Is it as all engrossing and goose-bump inducing as The Dark Knight, well no. Is it better than Spiderman, well yes, but I was never a fan of Sam Raimi's Spiderman anyway. Is it better than Thor, enjoyment wise its about the same. With no back stories to get through in The Avengers the time certainly flies by, it is great summer film. Is it anything more than that, sorry Joss, no its not.
  51. May 19, 2012
    Absolutely brilliant! The Avengers brings depth to the Marvel characters, provides loads of laughs, great action, unbelievably stunning visual effects, and fantastic performances from the whole cast. I give this 100% of a good movie.
  52. Dec 30, 2012
    Like all good superhero movies, its a slow buildup to great action. Unlike bad superhero movies, its incredibly well-acted without being too dark or too whimsical.
  53. May 6, 2012
    The summer movies are here and The Avengers delivers. Every thing about this movie WILL satisfy the nerd/geek in you. Its is written and filmed like a Marvel comic book movie should be. Josh Whedon has raised the bar on the start of summer blockbusters movies and every other Marvel movie to follow. All the characters are equally woven in and each roll is well balanced that you don't haveThe summer movies are here and The Avengers delivers. Every thing about this movie WILL satisfy the nerd/geek in you. Its is written and filmed like a Marvel comic book movie should be. Josh Whedon has raised the bar on the start of summer blockbusters movies and every other Marvel movie to follow. All the characters are equally woven in and each roll is well balanced that you don't have time to fall in love with just one. If you have never picked up a comic book and feel like you might be lost on the characters I highly recommend watching the prior movies that brings this team together, Iron Man, Caption America The First Avenger, Thor, and Hulk. I'm already dreaming of the next Avengers movie. Expand
  54. May 21, 2012
    How can people say terrible things about this movie? I know there are flaws in the film. But most of the problems are created by hipsters of critics who want to seem cool but instead, end up looking like **** who don't even know what the f*ck they're talking about. The film is an exciting roller coaster ride from start to finish. And when there isn't action going on, there is eitherHow can people say terrible things about this movie? I know there are flaws in the film. But most of the problems are created by hipsters of critics who want to seem cool but instead, end up looking like **** who don't even know what the f*ck they're talking about. The film is an exciting roller coaster ride from start to finish. And when there isn't action going on, there is either great humor or fantastically done character development. There is no reason you shouldn't be going to see this movie. And anyone who sees Battleship instead of this, is dead to me. Expand
  55. May 4, 2012
    To put it simply, YES! I would have sat through five more movies like â
  56. May 12, 2012
    The Avengers is one of the greatest movies I have ever gone to see.If you like action films with no romance this is the film for you as there are no soppy love scenes which every action movie fan hates. Plus there are some humorous parts for people who like some comedy in a movie. Overall all the actor's and actresses played their role perfectly.I strongly recommend you see this film.
  57. May 5, 2012
    Just saw The Avengers and all I can say is WOW!! this is the movie comic-book fans have been waiting for. the action is great, the interaction between the actors in their respective roles is awesome. The movie definitely moves along, in my opinion, considering it is over two hours. It is certainly one of the best comics to movie adaptions I've seen in a long time. A must see!!!
  58. May 4, 2012
    Good stuff. Joss Whedon likes and understands these characters as well as what audiences enjoy. You get what you want plus a little more. Hulk steals the show...then smashes it to bits. Great flicks for fans and non-fans alike. A great pay off to for all of the build up films. Can't wait to see more from this bunch...but Whedon needs to stay around...his spirit makes this thing work.Good stuff. Joss Whedon likes and understands these characters as well as what audiences enjoy. You get what you want plus a little more. Hulk steals the show...then smashes it to bits. Great flicks for fans and non-fans alike. A great pay off to for all of the build up films. Can't wait to see more from this bunch...but Whedon needs to stay around...his spirit makes this thing work. Great start to the summer. Expand
  59. May 5, 2012
    Fan Boys (and Girls) unite, our time has arrived!! Not one but 6 Super Heroes in one movie. What chance does the evil Loki have against these guys (and girl)?

For most of the 140 plus minutes it looks like Loki will win the day and subjugate Earth to his rule. But never fear! As Iron Man warns Loki: "You may have an army but we have a Hulk." The story is interesting even for an old timer who missed out on these comic books! The action is first rate and the dialogue is crisp and often hilarious. The real question to be answered at the end of this movie is: "How many spin off movies will be created by this box office bonanza" There is already talk of Black Widow and Nick Fury origins films and both Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 are in the works. The sooner the better! I'm not getting any younger and the more of these Super Hero films I can see, the longer I intend to stick around. If I outlast Loki then Marvel will just have to find another first rate villain or two.
  60. May 6, 2012
    "The Avengers" (2012) is the newest film from Marvel Studios / Disney Studios with the classic superheroes, directed by Joss Whedon (from TV series "Buffy The Vampire Slayer") and starring multiple characters from other movies, together, for the first time: Robert Downey Jr. (Tony Stark/Iron Man), Chris Evans (Steve Rogers/Captain America), Mark Ruffalo (Bruce Banner/The Hulk), Chris"The Avengers" (2012) is the newest film from Marvel Studios / Disney Studios with the classic superheroes, directed by Joss Whedon (from TV series "Buffy The Vampire Slayer") and starring multiple characters from other movies, together, for the first time: Robert Downey Jr. (Tony Stark/Iron Man), Chris Evans (Steve Rogers/Captain America), Mark Ruffalo (Bruce Banner/The Hulk), Chris Hemsworth (Thor), Scarlett Johansson (Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow), Jeremy Renner (Clint Barton/Hawkeye), Tom Hiddleston (Loki) and Samuel L. Jackson (Nick Fury).

The film follows the ending hook given after the credits of "Thor" in 2011 (just a note, there is also one in this movie, but before the credits, for a sequence of Avengers), with the cube Tesseract of "Captain America" â
  61. May 8, 2012
    Great movie well written well directed and had some really cool scenes the characters where coordinated really well and the action was amazing I would certainly see this movie again in theatres
  62. May 4, 2012
    I give this film 9/10. I'm dropping 1 point because they didn't exactly follow the original "The Ulitmates" story line, but came pretty damned close.

The film reflects Joss Whedons Humour with lots of nice humorous, but not out of place , quirky little moments. His wit is still very apparent from his Buffy/Angel/Firefly days. If it wasn't him who wrote the relevant scenes, it's someone trying to be like him !

The script and banter between everyone is snappy and everyone is already familiar with their roles so it's straight into the action. Everyone acted well and everyone took it seriously, but not TOO seriously.

I'm not giving away anymore plot than I already have in my opening statement, if you're familiar with the first 13 issue run of " The Ultimates" then you know roughly what's going on in the film. I should add here that you really end up hating Loki, again, what a great actor.

The films sounds amazing and looks even better, there is not a dull moment and I was thoroughly absorbed throughout. Lets have another one soon please.

And how about a Black Widow/Hawkeye spy/assassin flick in the mean time, they were both great characters incredibly well played by their respective actors.

Everyone already knows how good the actors that play Cap. America, Iron Man and Thor are, but those two mentioned above, and the chap that played the Hulk were also wonderful. As were the rest of the cast.

In order here's what I'd like to see next in the movies:-

New Iron Man, then a new Hulk, New Thor, New Cap. America, A Black Widow & Hawkeye spy story, with lots of Nick Fury in this one, THEN the second Avengers film. Then start the cycle again adding in a few other Avengers as time goes on. With the list above, and a film a year, that's a five year movie arc before it all starts again.

Now go and do it please people.

The Avengers, a solid nine out of ten. Go see it and enjoy.
  63. May 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Avengers is perhaps one of the most anticipated superhero movies ever made. It has been in production since Iron Man (2008). Each one of the Avengers has had a great first movie. Now after four years of build up the Avengers movie is finally here and being a fan of the previous films, except for Iron Man 2 (2010), I decided to go and see it. While the Avengers is fast, fun, and exciting some unnecessarily long action scenes prevent the movie from being great.

The movie opens up with Loki, the villain from Thor (2011), coming to earth and stealing the Tesaracht, brainwashing some guys including Mr. arrow shooter. Afterwards, Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) decides that in order to stop Lokiâ
  64. May 5, 2012
    A well-crafted film that superbly handles playing with four leading heroes. The movie has great sequences of action and the special effects are top-notch. However, it is the character interaction that really shines through, and makes the ultimate assembly worthwhile.
  65. May 5, 2012
    Just saw this movie and I was really impressed. The only down side was that you didn't see much of the Hulk until later on in the movie, but besides that Tony Stark was awesome and Hawkeye was bad ass. The Avengers is surprisingly really good, nest to X Men: First Class as the best Marvel movie in recent years.
  66. May 5, 2012
    This was such a risky movie, so many ways for this to fail given the premise. Instead we all came away satisfied and surprised at how good this movie actually was.
  67. May 27, 2012
    The build up and hype for this movie was definitely worth it. It's one of those movies you'll be replaying over and over in your head, reciting some familiar lines with friends, and be dying to see again after you leave the theater. I enjoyed the build up a lot actually and the not-so-action-packed scenes, as they allowed you to get reacquainted with each character, their story, and theirThe build up and hype for this movie was definitely worth it. It's one of those movies you'll be replaying over and over in your head, reciting some familiar lines with friends, and be dying to see again after you leave the theater. I enjoyed the build up a lot actually and the not-so-action-packed scenes, as they allowed you to get reacquainted with each character, their story, and their personality. Seeing the collection of actors interact with one another also provides some really cool moments as well, and they all meshed together quite nicely. Every hero in this movie gets multiple moments to shine, which I absolutely loved, and there's some brilliant comedic moments mixed in with the action to keep you thoroughly entertained. I thought Samuel Jackson's lines could have been better written at times, as well as Chris Evan's and Cobie Smulders', but for the most part, I came away saying that it was definitely worth seeing in theaters. The Hulk and Iron Man especially steal the show in this one... and not to give too much away here, but fans of the show "How I Met Your Mother" may also really like this film too, as a couple references (not sure if they were intentional or not, but then again, Cobie Smulders is in this) to the show are made. Expand
  68. May 6, 2012
    Marvel had their work cut out for them with this film and they delivered in a spectacular fashion! It was not going to be easy to create this super hero squad and throw it up on the big screen. But they pulled it off! All of the cast was great with a surprising performance from Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk. In fact Joss Whedon managed to make me a Hulk fan after this movie. This movie isMarvel had their work cut out for them with this film and they delivered in a spectacular fashion! It was not going to be easy to create this super hero squad and throw it up on the big screen. But they pulled it off! All of the cast was great with a surprising performance from Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk. In fact Joss Whedon managed to make me a Hulk fan after this movie. This movie is nothing short of a blockbuster and a hell of ride! A must see for this summer! Expand
  69. May 12, 2012
    An amazing balancing act of chaos, explosions, big heroes, big actors, and good humor all done very well. I am very impressed that everything was done so well yet so balanced and entertaining. This sets a new standard for multi cast action films. Take note transformers.
  70. May 7, 2012
    Not only is The Avengers one of the best superhero movies, it's quite possibly one of the best movies ever released in modern cinema. The action is intense, the humor is, well, quite humorous, and the characters are made in a way where you actually care about them. Although some acting of some of the non-major characters is suspect, that is no reason to not see this excellent, rollickingNot only is The Avengers one of the best superhero movies, it's quite possibly one of the best movies ever released in modern cinema. The action is intense, the humor is, well, quite humorous, and the characters are made in a way where you actually care about them. Although some acting of some of the non-major characters is suspect, that is no reason to not see this excellent, rollicking action film. Everything, from the combat to the lines to the overall delivery, right down to the teaser for a sequel, is so well done. If you have even the slightest interest in Thor, Iron Man (which, by the way, stole the show), Captain America, Hulk, or Black Widow, then see this film. Now. Expand
  71. May 8, 2012
    The culmination of 5 different superhero movies into one explosive mix, there has never been a movie as ambitious as this. The performances, visuals and humor are all top notch, as expected in a Marvel movie. The story itself was what everyone was expecting, and while that may have disappointed some I think they still did a great job bringing everyone together for the first time. Maybe inThe culmination of 5 different superhero movies into one explosive mix, there has never been a movie as ambitious as this. The performances, visuals and humor are all top notch, as expected in a Marvel movie. The story itself was what everyone was expecting, and while that may have disappointed some I think they still did a great job bringing everyone together for the first time. Maybe in Avengers 2 they can throw in some surprises, but this was all about making it work, and it worked. Expand
  72. May 6, 2012
    It was a good movie. Not the best, but overall very entertaining. Not the best movie i've seen in years, but it was good.
  73. May 8, 2012
    Doomed, that's the first thing on your mind when you think about the Avengers. Joss Whedon is worshipped by his fans like a god, but his recent projects weren't that successful. The basic premise is very difficult to portray in a movie: how could you manage to give each character a decent amount of developement? Actors: how could you make this people interact with each other without primaDoomed, that's the first thing on your mind when you think about the Avengers. Joss Whedon is worshipped by his fans like a god, but his recent projects weren't that successful. The basic premise is very difficult to portray in a movie: how could you manage to give each character a decent amount of developement? Actors: how could you make this people interact with each other without prima donna dilemmas? Well I was surprisingly pleased to see this movie. You have to suspend your disbelief in order to enjoy it, we're talking about attractive people with ridicolous costumes with superpowers. Fortunately the dialogue is funny and interesting enough to give this characters a minimal amount of depth. Iron man is the star of the show, he could be charming even if he was shown buying toilet paper. I never heard of the Black widow before but she is a serious contender for spotlight - stealing. The others characters are okay, for me Thor was the least interesting character. The villain on the other hand, seemed interesting, I think a lot of his scenes were cut that would further analyzes his motives or his ideals. He is not the classical:"I am EVIL, I want to rule the world with my EVILNESS!", he has reasons. Action scenes were superb, very entertaining and fast paced. In the end I think this movie is for everyone: comic-book lovers and not nerdy people :). It may not be an historical turning point in storytelling, but I'm sure you'll leave the theatre satisfied. Expand
  74. Oct 3, 2012
    This is the way 3D should be displayed on every 3D TV with the proper Aspect Ratio of 1.78:1 which will fill the whole screen without the horrible "black bars". That alone makes this release one of the best ones on 3D.

The Aspect Ratio of: 1.78:1 takes this movie in 3D to a whole new level without the annoying "black bars" on top and bottom of the screen. Usually I don't mind those

Usually I don't mind those "black bars" on 2D viewing, maybe because we are all used to it by now, plus it doesn't take anything away...BUT ON 3D viewing this is the complete opposite. WHY SUCH A BIG DEAL ABOUT THIS ASPECT RATIO?:
    For those of us who already hated the so called "black bars" on top and bottom of the screen while watching a regular movie, this is really bad for 3D Home viewers, as this WILL TAKE AWAY FROM WHAT MAKES 3D WORTH THE PURCHASE TO BEGIN WITH, minimizing the effect by a big percentage, unless you have a 80" 3D TV which I'm pretty such most of us don't have.

SO WHAT'S THE "APPROPRIATE" ASPECT RATIO THAT SHOULD BE IN 3D HOME MOVIES?
    Most 3D movies right now are NOT being released with the desirable Aspect Ratio that will fill the whole screen giving you the whole 3D effect BUT movies like Wrath Of The Titans, and the soon to be released AVATAR 3D, are some of the very few that could display with an average Aspect Ratio of: 1.78:1 WHICH WILL take advantage of your New 3D TV as you expected to display from day one.

With that said, This movie fortunately does support that type of Aspect Ratio which is completely worth spending the extra few dollars on the 3D Bluray version. Even with an enormous TV set you wouldn't want to watch a 3D movie with the black bars because...the bigger the TV, the bigger the "black bars" .

ABOUT THE MOVIE:
    I did LOVE this movie when I went to see in IMAX 3D, I think it had a good use of the technology. STORY: This is certainly the BEST comic to film translation, and yes, I did like Batman the Dark Knight Rises, but not as much as this one. SPECIAL EFFECTS: The special effects although not groundbreaking they were certainly eye-candy, and what really makes it stand out from the pack is how well the director and his team were able to put everything together and make it look Amazing all around...AND EVEN BETTER IN BLURAY 3D AND ITS AMAZING 1.77:1 ASPECT RATIO TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THE ENTIRE SCREEN.

If you have a 3D TV and a 3D BluRay player, this movie will certainly make you proud of that investment...I know it did for me.
  75. May 5, 2012
    ASSEMBLE all your friends and family to go see The Avengers! It doesn't get much better than this! An ensemble movie done extremely well and there is just so much going on here. Iron Man is flawless as usual, Ruffalo is pitch-perfect as Bruce Banner/Hulk, and the whole ensemble just works. The plot is solid with an imminent threat that is worth caring about, and Loki is a fine villain.ASSEMBLE all your friends and family to go see The Avengers! It doesn't get much better than this! An ensemble movie done extremely well and there is just so much going on here. Iron Man is flawless as usual, Ruffalo is pitch-perfect as Bruce Banner/Hulk, and the whole ensemble just works. The plot is solid with an imminent threat that is worth caring about, and Loki is a fine villain. Again, there is a LOT going on here, but Whedon seems to pull it all together while still giving each character plenty of screen time. This is a "smash"-ing good time! Expand
  76. Jun 12, 2012
    This is THE MOVIE OF THE YEAR! This movie had all the best heroes in it, and it shows how well Marvel can do a collaboration with The Avengers. This is a movies for the whole family.
  77. May 8, 2012
    1 word...AMAZING. totally worth the wait. you got comedy, action and scarlett johansson in it :P i mean Joss Whedon really did a brilliant job on the movie. usually 2 and a half hours could tend to get you a bit cranky but this movie was brilliant and the 2.30 hour run time felt like nothing cause it was so fast paced. loved it and i hope they make a sequel.
  78. May 8, 2012
    Overall, one of my top 3 favorite superhero movies of all time (Along with the dark night and xmen: first class). A great real supervillan. Great acting by Robert Downey Jr., Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, and Scarlett Johanson. Some comedic scenes also made me laugh out loud at some points. Overall, a must see for any action fan.
  79. May 5, 2012
    The Avengers was a really awesome and good. I thought it was kind of slow & a little boring at first but the last 25 minutes of the movie was worth the wait. I mean explosions, non-stop action, a giant green man, = awesomeness. This movie was not just awesome, it was also funny, Tony Stark delivered some funny lines, The Hulk was funny too. I didn't watch it in 3D though, but if I did itThe Avengers was a really awesome and good. I thought it was kind of slow & a little boring at first but the last 25 minutes of the movie was worth the wait. I mean explosions, non-stop action, a giant green man, = awesomeness. This movie was not just awesome, it was also funny, Tony Stark delivered some funny lines, The Hulk was funny too. I didn't watch it in 3D though, but if I did it would be amazing cause stuff flew at you and the screen a lot of times in the movie. You definitely should check it out. Expand
  80. May 5, 2012
    To say that Marvel's, The Avengers is a poorly made film tells me that you have no idea of what a good film could ever possibly be. What makes Joss Whedon's film succeeds as a great comic-book movie, no, as a good action film, is in its ability to be clear, concise, tight and conscious piece of cinema. With such an ambitious goal of bringing so many Marvel properties under one roof, theTo say that Marvel's, The Avengers is a poorly made film tells me that you have no idea of what a good film could ever possibly be. What makes Joss Whedon's film succeeds as a great comic-book movie, no, as a good action film, is in its ability to be clear, concise, tight and conscious piece of cinema. With such an ambitious goal of bringing so many Marvel properties under one roof, the film has to be clear, concise and tight. It has to get to the point, it has to go from point A to point B without any narrative gap, and it has to have a strong film logic. The minute we get confused at "why is this there" or "why did they do that" is where we as an audience lose interest. The film was tightly packed, but not stiff. The sequences on the helicarrier, where we find that our characters are somehow intertwined, these scenes represent the tightness. Robert and Banner in their interactions shine gloriously, as they convincingly offer an idea that these two could indeed be good friends. It was a nice moment that gave us some readied clarity on the realness of these properties. The action in the climax of the film really showcases the tightness as well. We know who is who, why they move the way they do, and where they are going. We root for the heroes, we want the villains to lose. But we get some great moments that really shine. His style of "mise-en-abime" is critical here and it really shows off his style. He wants the viewer to see everything, but not be confused. It's not perfect. The beginning jumps too fast. Widow needed more backstory as did the Hulk. How did he learn to control himself; the film never fully explains. However so, the film shines. Expand
  81. May 6, 2012
    The only reason this movie gets a 9 and not a 10 is because it's not the best superhero movie on the market. Dark Knight is still technically the better movie, but The Avengers provides Marvel's best showing at the box office, and the most fun I've had at a superhero movie. The movie is so great because of the interplay of the characters. I never expected to laugh as much as I did while IThe only reason this movie gets a 9 and not a 10 is because it's not the best superhero movie on the market. Dark Knight is still technically the better movie, but The Avengers provides Marvel's best showing at the box office, and the most fun I've had at a superhero movie. The movie is so great because of the interplay of the characters. I never expected to laugh as much as I did while I was in the movie, and it will continue to make me laugh. The characters/actors interact perfectly with one another, just as you would expect real superheroes to. Combine that with some great actions, some great fight scenes, and some stunning special effects, you have a movie that will be #1 at the box office for weeks to come, AND deserves to be there. If you have a chance to see it in IMAX, do it. You won't be disappointed. Expand
  82. May 6, 2012
    Positive Surprise, marvelous entertainment and definitely the best movie of the year so far. After leaving the theater i was both glad and surprised because i did not expect this at all, The Avengers is an extremely enjoyable film with magnificent action and great actors and i can really just say that this may be one of the best superhero movies ever made. And if you have not seen it yet do it.
  83. May 6, 2012
    While extremely entertaining, the film felt to generic. The whole "Big city apocalypse" where our heroes need to learn to work together and save the day. There is some pretty funny dialogue between the main cast, and the effects were great. Despite the final twenty minute non-stop action sequence, it started to feel boring near the end. I heard such great reviews earlier, and through theWhile extremely entertaining, the film felt to generic. The whole "Big city apocalypse" where our heroes need to learn to work together and save the day. There is some pretty funny dialogue between the main cast, and the effects were great. Despite the final twenty minute non-stop action sequence, it started to feel boring near the end. I heard such great reviews earlier, and through the whole film I was waiting for it to really take off and amaze me, which unfortunately it didn't. Pros: The acting is good, for the most part; The writing is funny, yet cheesy; The action and special effects are some of the best as far as superhero movies go. Cons: It felt strangely unsatisfactory; plot was bland and not very original.

Overall Grade: B
  84. May 6, 2012
    This is an example of how superhero movie should be done. The material is treated with respect. It is not changed around to match some writer's prideful personal vision of how the material should been done from the beginning. Fans of the material and the characters will be very pleased and will rate this a perfect 10. I rate it 9 because the story and the villain is a bit of a tiredThis is an example of how superhero movie should be done. The material is treated with respect. It is not changed around to match some writer's prideful personal vision of how the material should been done from the beginning. Fans of the material and the characters will be very pleased and will rate this a perfect 10. I rate it 9 because the story and the villain is a bit of a tired concept. Not perfect. Nonetheless, the villain is very well done and played by Tom Hiddleston. Regular movie-goers unaware of the source material should greatly enjoy it, as it is very good movie overall. Expand
  85. STS
    Jun 11, 2012
    I'm not a big fan of comic books and have never read any of the Avengers comics, or anything by Marvel actually. All that aside, this is a great film that has plenty of action and humour. I thought all the main actors did a good job with what time they had on screen, but obviously with so many characters some get less screen time and therefore less development. But I didn't feelI'm not a big fan of comic books and have never read any of the Avengers comics, or anything by Marvel actually. All that aside, this is a great film that has plenty of action and humour. I thought all the main actors did a good job with what time they had on screen, but obviously with so many characters some get less screen time and therefore less development. But I didn't feel bringing the different characters from their own respective films felt forced at all! My personal favourite is probably Captain America which is a total surprise - but Robert Downey Jr as Iron Man is also brilliant. Even more of a surprise, this film made me like the Hulk!! Saw it twice, and hope Marvel Studios will keep making more of these, with quality writers and directors! Expand
  86. Jul 21, 2012
    Ok. Firstly, I've got to say that I had a good time watching The Avengers. There were some interesting moments and liners that even I still remember up to now. Robert Downey Jr. did well as Tony Stark/Ironman and I seriously can't imagine that character is played by another actor. Mark Ruffalo also stole the show. From the beginning until some moments before the ending you could witnessOk. Firstly, I've got to say that I had a good time watching The Avengers. There were some interesting moments and liners that even I still remember up to now. Robert Downey Jr. did well as Tony Stark/Ironman and I seriously can't imagine that character is played by another actor. Mark Ruffalo also stole the show. From the beginning until some moments before the ending you could witness how tense he was. He seemed to think that as if he was a nuke that could just blow out at anytime. In short, in term of the characters, I think that there was no flaws at all. The characters were delivered superbly.
    However, just like most superhero movies, I found out that I actually don't care about the faith of each character. I had already known that every single main character would survive the day even before I started watching it. As a result, I felt no personal feelings toward the characters. I wasn't afraid that by the end of the movie Ironman would probably die nor I couldn't care less about Hawkeye and Black Widow's relationship. Apart from Bruce Banner character, I felt that I wasn't attached to the characters. They were all flat. And the way I see it, there is always a minus point in watching a movie that you know that the major characters will just survive: There is no tension. I ain't commenting on the story since this movie is not for the hardcore audience;this one is aimed into family teritory. Thus, the flaws in the story and the 'too-much-focus-on-the-effects-is all fine.
    I recommend this movie to those who want to have a good time. Prepare some food and watch it with your family. You'll surely have a good time.
  87. Aug 14, 2012
    fun, enjoyable and entertaining. Do I have to say any more?
    If you are willing to see an amusing movie, you won't regret seeing The Avengers, and thats it, The Avengers is an awesome movie.
  88. D__
    Aug 27, 2012
    Very good action sequences and had more character development than the previous installments...
    However of all the recent, undeserved films getting a 2 pt. treatment this feels like one that definitely deserved it and would have been very beneficial.
    I felt as if they started to develop a plot - about the team being manipulated - then left it.
    Maybe in the sequel.
  89. Sep 11, 2012
    Ok, the start was really slow and boring for me, some part were good, the acting was good, but it's just the actors seemed to made me board in this film but i did like them when they were in there own movies, most of the movie is on a ship, they is not much set changes in this film, the actor who plays the hulk was replaced by a bad actor. just this movie was very bad, i watched it like 10Ok, the start was really slow and boring for me, some part were good, the acting was good, but it's just the actors seemed to made me board in this film but i did like them when they were in there own movies, most of the movie is on a ship, they is not much set changes in this film, the actor who plays the hulk was replaced by a bad actor. just this movie was very bad, i watched it like 10 times and as much as I've tried to like it i just don't like it Expand
  90. Dec 31, 2012
    great fun must watch movie for all those who likes super heroes.Incredible way to accommodate 6 heroes in a single movie although character of Tony and Hulk was overshadowing but thats the way it is..
  91. Aug 24, 2013
    [8.2] It's by far the best Marvel movie since the original Iron Man movie, and just as much fun. Colorful characters, a likable cast, and outstanding production. There's not much I don't like about this movie.
  92. Mar 16, 2013
    It is one of 2012 best movies. It is suitable for just any age. Iron man, Hulk, Captain America etc... are awesome. I just don't know why did critics gave it 60 while it has a score of 92 on rotten tomatoes and it deserves 92. Buy it on DVD or wait until its TV release. Recommended for anyone.
  93. Mar 23, 2013
    A popcorn movie that gets everything a popcorn movie needs right. It's got the special effects, cheesy dialogue and like-able characters, but it does it all effortlessly and is one of the best superhero movies to date.
  94. Apr 19, 2014
    I'll be the fist to admit that the plot was a little weak BUT! This is a fanboys wet dream. What I've been waiting years to witness! As a proud Marvel comics nerd, I never had any doubt in my mind about this one. Ever since Marvel Studios began it's journey making films in house, which started with Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk, it has been nothing but great. The room for creativeI'll be the fist to admit that the plot was a little weak BUT! This is a fanboys wet dream. What I've been waiting years to witness! As a proud Marvel comics nerd, I never had any doubt in my mind about this one. Ever since Marvel Studios began it's journey making films in house, which started with Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk, it has been nothing but great. The room for creative writing and directing is limitless. Mark Ruffalo delivers the best portrayal of Bruce Banner/ Hulk on film, PERIOD! The balanced screen time each of these crucial characters receives is flawlessly pulled off by Joss Whedon! What Marvel Studios has done with the cinematic universe has forever changed the course of film and has raised the bar pretty dang high. (Take note, Fox and WB/DC) There are enough laughs, action and emotional moments that will satisfy the casual moviegoers and fanboys alike. Expand
  95. May 4, 2012
    Great action flick, non-stop action, great lines, and I plan on seeing it again. Robert Downey, Jr steals the show as Iron Man. Stay for the credits to see the teaser for the next film! If you liked the Marvel films, you will love the Avengers.
  96. May 4, 2012
    The Avengers is a musical arrangement that hits every note on pitch with all the class and excitement you'd expect with Tony Stark in the mix. Joss Whedon takes the helm and crafts a masterpiece. The characters are great, the script is amazing, the comedy is always perfect, and the action is breathtaking! You won't find a better superhero movie or a comic adaptation. The Avengers setsThe Avengers is a musical arrangement that hits every note on pitch with all the class and excitement you'd expect with Tony Stark in the mix. Joss Whedon takes the helm and crafts a masterpiece. The characters are great, the script is amazing, the comedy is always perfect, and the action is breathtaking! You won't find a better superhero movie or a comic adaptation. The Avengers sets the bar high, and will be one of the main reasons 2012's summer movie release list will be memorable. Collapse
  97. May 4, 2012
    My wife and I were trying not to get too excited for this movie. These mash-up movies always a huge risk. And in this case it was a HUGE success. They did a great job of giving everyone a proper place in the movie without giving everyone powers to match one another necessarily. Also compared to other Marvel movies in the past, like X-Men where they decided Wolverine needed act asMy wife and I were trying not to get too excited for this movie. These mash-up movies always a huge risk. And in this case it was a HUGE success. They did a great job of giving everyone a proper place in the movie without giving everyone powers to match one another necessarily. Also compared to other Marvel movies in the past, like X-Men where they decided Wolverine needed act as leader all the time, it was nice to see that they used characters like Captain America to give orders and stay level headed while Iron Man was able to go off crazy and do his thing. The jokes hit perfect, the timing and action was spot-on. The only thing that could ever be said was that the plot wasn't too overall complicated and was fairly straightforward along the way, but I don't feel it detracts from the movie at all, as anything more complex would have made the whole thing feel convoluted with so many characters struggling to work together. Expand
  98. May 5, 2012
    This film is about a group if heroes, each with their own hubris, and how they must learn to work together for the greater good. With plenty of action, humor and story, this movie delivers at every turn. Director Joss Whedon knows how to build, challenge and sustain a team driven story. From his experience with Buffy to Firefly and Dollhouse, he has learned how to develop an ensembleThis film is about a group if heroes, each with their own hubris, and how they must learn to work together for the greater good. With plenty of action, humor and story, this movie delivers at every turn. Director Joss Whedon knows how to build, challenge and sustain a team driven story. From his experience with Buffy to Firefly and Dollhouse, he has learned how to develop an ensemble cast and provide each character with enough screen time to not just have time to develop their character, but to have a sense of balance as a whole. Each character proves to be an essential part of the greater whole. And that is where this movie shines. No one is left out and everyone is used in a manner that pushes the story and development forward with no real lag in the narrative. My only concern, with a movie this grand and epic, is how Marvel is going to top, or even match this film. If they can, then the next Marvel movie will be nothing short of astonishing. Bottom line this is the best superhero Team Movie made to date. Expand
  99. May 5, 2012
    I am quite possibly one of the biggest batman fans on the planet and i still looked forward to this more than the dark knight rises. Marvel movies dont have quite the in depth story telling that dc comic book movies have, but i would rather watch this again then sit through the dark knight returns. The effects were amazing and even with so many characters everyone gets enough screen timeI am quite possibly one of the biggest batman fans on the planet and i still looked forward to this more than the dark knight rises. Marvel movies dont have quite the in depth story telling that dc comic book movies have, but i would rather watch this again then sit through the dark knight returns. The effects were amazing and even with so many characters everyone gets enough screen time to make the movie feel really balanced. I saw this with 6 other ppl and all of us walked out extremely happy. I would highly recommend this as a great start to the summer movie season. 2012 is looking to be one of the best years for movies in a long time Expand
  100. May 5, 2012
    An example of how you do a big budget, blockbuster film in the best possible way. From start to finish, The Avengers is entertainment perfection and the best film Marvel has ever put out yet. Director and writer Joss Whedon implements his trademark humour and cinematography to make the film not just funny, but also tightly paced and action packed. I'm impressed that Whedon could handleAn example of how you do a big budget, blockbuster film in the best possible way. From start to finish, The Avengers is entertainment perfection and the best film Marvel has ever put out yet. Director and writer Joss Whedon implements his trademark humour and cinematography to make the film not just funny, but also tightly paced and action packed. I'm impressed that Whedon could handle this many characters at once, especially heroes but it isn't surprising because he's done it before. While Tony Stark/Iron Man have slightly more screen time and has the most jokes and one liners, not one character is wasted or slandered and the main ensemble cast play each other extremely well and every single one of them gets a shining moment thanks to a very well written script and steady pacing. Mark Ruffalo is the best Hulk ever and I'm surprised that they didn't over sexualised Black Widow in contrast to what the trailers show but now that I think about it, it's Joss Whedon, whom you should know created Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I cannot rave this film enough and I've already seen it twice in the cinema. It is the blockbuster film of the year. It is so entertaining and so much fun to watch and it is a shining example of how a big budget blockbuster film should entertain a general audience. I've seen it both in 3D and 2D but I recommend it in 2D Expand

1. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    May 8, 2012
    The banter has zip, the effects are fun, the climactic battle is decently spectacular, and if the 3-D is mostly expendable, there are a few scenes where it adds a nice kick.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    May 4, 2012
    This mania is what Marvel followers have hungered for, and it would be fruitless to deny their delight. As Loki says to a crowd of earthlings, "It is the unspoken truth of humanity that you crave subjugation." We do, Master, we do.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    May 4, 2012
    They're fascinating characters, to be sure, with back stories ripe for development. But Whedon doesn't commit here, and the results are shrug-worthy.