7.9

1. Jan 3, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm sorry. This movie just doesn't do it for me. I'm an old guy, but I like super-hero movies. They're a guilty pleasure for me, like fast food. I know they're junk, but junk can be enjoyable. This particular burger , however, didn't have much flavor. It's big, big in every way. It follows the first rule of theatrical combat--it's sustained. When there's a fight it goes on for quite a while. The characters bang away at each other and finally at the common enemy for long periods. Huge sets get destroyed, costumes get torn, faces are bloodied. At first one gets the impression that the big money spent on making the film is well-displayed on the screen. And then one begins to doubt that.

A few minutes after the story ended, and the banging and thundering no longer echoed in the room, the problem became clearer. I thought about the scene of the enemy soldiers pouring out of the metal monster and I asked myself to think about a real army. How large is an infantry division I asked myself. When I studied such matters when I was earning my commission as a second lieutenant an infantry division might number about ten thousand men and women. On screen we were witnessing an interplanetary war. Surely one division would be employed in such an undertaking. After all, the soldiers who poured out of the sky were equipped with rather modest weapons. I mean that the soldiers on their airborne scooters did not each carry a weapon of mass destruction. These were beefed up infantrymen, or some kind of mechanized cavalry. In a "war" they'd be sent in brigades and divisions and whole armies.

I've seen movies that portrayed war on a proper scale. One of Zhang Yimou's films employed at least 10,000 extras for a combat scene in a film made about 15 years ago. It's possible to use cgi to replace real people, but if it's going to look realistic one has to put some money into these digital masses.

The current film actually operates on a rather small scale. Looking at the cast list, which had lots of well known names on it one wonders how it cost to have so many big time players. A couple of hundred million dollars isn't that much when a single name can cost several million dollars.

I'm sorry to be a spoilsport, but I think that an amped up soundtrack, lots of explosions, a ton of broken pretend glass, and heavy work on a leather bag by the foley artist don't add up to a really big time experience.

As for the plot...well let's just say it has a pasted together quality that comes from deciding in advance on the number of fight scenes to be shot. This is a carnival ride approach to story telling. How many loops shall we take the audience through before putting on the brakes.

I notice that the two Avengers movies made by this crew run exactly the same length (within one minute on a base of 140 minutes).

As I said at the beginning of this critique I knew at the outset that I was going for some cinematic fast food. My complaint is that I wasn't served fast food, this is some kind of synthetic product. It certainly has no nutritional value, and on that basis I'd keep it away from the kids. It's Awfully violent. It doesn't tell a clear coherent story, the acting is often dreadful, What we have is a money making machine that doesn't give you much even if you only spend a few dollars on it to see it on your home screen. For a lot more money you can see its sequel on the big screen. That may make it look more impressive, but I for one will not be in that audience.
  2. Sep 29, 2015
    Found this movie incredibly dull and childish, some parts were slightly amusing and the actors did a good job but overall I found it a unexceptional film. It was lacking excitement and had a overall un-captivating story line. I'm sure the kids loved it but I prefer my movies to be more mature.
  3. Jun 26, 2015
    Seriously the best superhero movie ever? no way. It is very mediocre. Just a bunch of superheroes trying to one up each other while battling one of the least terrifying villains of all time.
  4. Apr 23, 2015
    Most Overrated pile of crap i've ever seen!

Most Overrated pile of crap i've ever seen!

Marvel Studios unveils its costliest special-effects demo to date; somewhere beneath the nonstop digital explosions lies a story about superheroes fighting an evil demigod from space. Every now and then, director Joss Whedon (Serenity) executes a quirky camera set-up to assert that the film was created by him and not a team of marketing executives. Of the star-studded cast, only Mark Ruffalo (playing Bruce Banner) and Robert Downey Jr. (as Iron Man) bring any personality to the place-holder dialogue. Overlong, monotonous, violent, and simple-minded, this is like one of those “World’s Biggest Gang Bang” videos, except that no one onscreen appears to be enjoying himself. With Samuel L. Jackson, Scarlett Johansson, and Jeremy Renner.

Plus I can't stand LOKI!!!
  5. Jan 22, 2015
    The Avengers is not just bad, it's boring as hell. I simply don't get the appeal for these sorts of films. A 15 minute plot and 2 hours of mindless, mind numbing action is not exactly my idea of entertainment. Might as well go into the kitchen, bang a few utensils around and use my own imagination. It's certainly not art and it's not even fun.
  6. Jan 19, 2015
    DISAPOINTING

For heroes like this to be in a movie, there should be more action with the hulk. As well as that there was a horrible plot behind the movie and it can bore you to death sometimes. This was truly horrible.
  7. Dec 30, 2014
    In the Avengers, all famous superheroes team up to save humans. The film has action, humor and a story but all of them are superficial and underdeveloped. The Avengers aims at catering all kind of audience (those who love superheroes, or actions, or comedies) but delivers a mixture that is none.

The idea of superheroes never settled well with me. The idea that we, people, are helpless and need superheroes to save and protect us is a troubling idea to say the best about it.

I really don't understand all the hype around this movie. 2 hours of your time is worth more than the laughter you get from seeing Hulk smashing Loki to the floor a few times (and that's the only good thing in the movie).
  8. Aug 6, 2014
    Aburridísima. Pensé que no estaría mal juntar a tantos superhéroes pero el resultado fue una película con una primera hora llena de diálogos vacíos y chistes tontos (que alguien le pegue un tiro ya a thor y hulk, pensaba yo) y una segunda hora de acción que solo demuestra que lo único bueno de la peli son sus efectos. ¿En serio os gusta esto?
    Películas para niños pequeños... Marvel las ha
    Películas para niños pequeños... Marvel las ha hecho mejores. Desastrosa.
  9. Feb 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Watch one of the most overrated piece of entertainment since call of duty, The Avengers. Watch one of the most forgettable superhero/ action movie of 2012. See one of the most basic story plots rip off other popular moments from other films E.g. The Dark Knight, Transformers, Star Wars and Power ranger? Watch the film that has terrible character development for all the characters except Tony Stark. See one of the worst Hulks and the worst actor to play Bruce Banner "Christ i almost mistook it for the BFG, i mean what the hell happened to Ed Norton". Watch how all these super hero movies can do what Christopher Nolan can do in just one film. "My god how the hell did this get so many good ratings". Expand
  10. Feb 3, 2014
    Perfect example of an overrated movie. The saying "Less is more" applies here. There are too many super heroes in this film and none of them are used appropriately. The movie is also much longer than it needs to be. It never seems to end and for most of it, it is boring and forgettable. By the time the real action begins, you're already more than 3/4s into the film. This is a dumb stupidPerfect example of an overrated movie. The saying "Less is more" applies here. There are too many super heroes in this film and none of them are used appropriately. The movie is also much longer than it needs to be. It never seems to end and for most of it, it is boring and forgettable. By the time the real action begins, you're already more than 3/4s into the film. This is a dumb stupid popcorn movie featuring a dumb stupid team of superheroes. Ironman on his own or Hulk on his own are great but throw them in with goody two shoes Captain America whose character is flat, boring and lifeless or Mr. Bulging Biceps Thor who isn't a super hero at all (He's a mythical God. Next time, the Avengers should recruit Zeus or Jesus Christ) and is the beefed up equivalent of Brandan Frasier's boy in a bunker and its just gets sloshed around into a muddled mess. Expand
  11. Feb 1, 2014
    Mala muy sobre valorada, Joss Whedon puede ser bue guionista pero como director deja mucho que desear, la película es decepcionante y todos parecen niños desesperados por esta película. Una historia muy simple.
  12. Dec 15, 2013
    Una cagada, aburrida por momentos, las peleas son flojas, sin EPICA sin EMOCIÓN una mierda en general. Fue muy sobre valorada. La gente es ciega, salí del cine re decepcionado.
  13. Dec 10, 2013
    Decepcionante, es una adaptación bastante fría, sin emoción no eh visto nada EPICO en esta película, su tono infantil la caga un poco. La expectativa fue mucha y termino siendo una decepción total.
  14. Dec 8, 2013
    A get together of superheroes should have been set more entertainingly. When you don't have a story good enough, even a lot of superheroes fail to keep you hooked. The Aviator might have sounded exciting on paper, but what I watched was a let-down. I take consolation in knowing that it worked out for the majority of its audience (purely going by the ratings shown here). Can't wait for theA get together of superheroes should have been set more entertainingly. When you don't have a story good enough, even a lot of superheroes fail to keep you hooked. The Aviator might have sounded exciting on paper, but what I watched was a let-down. I take consolation in knowing that it worked out for the majority of its audience (purely going by the ratings shown here). Can't wait for the sequel!!! With all due respect, 1/5 sounds fair enough for the experience. Miss the good old days wherein I can picture myself enjoying this sort of movie. Expand
  15. Nov 29, 2013
    The truth is that neither film excited me at any time, lacks epic, awesome and it was very overrated. The truth donot like people I went crazy for this movie.
  16. Nov 27, 2013
    He did not like much. I expected much better. The film was highly overrated, no epic, no emotion, nothing was a cinch. People are very rare, then criticize the serious films like Man of Steel and The Dark Knight Rises, the truth is that this is awesome.
  17. Nov 18, 2013
    I expected MUCH more from this movie, I could see a story in this film that really convinced me. I saw more special effects. El personaje de Iron Man, solo arrogancia, no se como les gusta a muchos, una mierda de pelicula
  18. Oct 19, 2013
    I hate how marvel shows their heroes today, very violent and taking so many lives. they are too brutal and it's hard to view them as heroes especially when a huge part of marvel's fan base are children. They are viewed as gods and its ridiculous that they just take a life at will. Another thing that I hate is marvel is just being a copycat with this movie. With Loki purposely gettingI hate how marvel shows their heroes today, very violent and taking so many lives. they are too brutal and it's hard to view them as heroes especially when a huge part of marvel's fan base are children. They are viewed as gods and its ridiculous that they just take a life at will. Another thing that I hate is marvel is just being a copycat with this movie. With Loki purposely getting captured like the joker in the dark knight then destroying the air base from within just like how joker destroyed the police station. Another thing is the whole destroy the mothership and kill the whole army this is copied from Battle L.A. And Star Wars the phantom menace. Marvel is just a mediocre copycat company. They should be more original with the wonderful characters that they have. Expand
  19. May 27, 2013
    I don't like all characters, Iron Man, Captain America, The Hulk, Thor, Black Widow, Hawkeye, and antagonist. Their weaon, costume, armor is very unattractive. I don't like superhero movies. They are invincible, they always win easily. That is why I love protagonist from horror movies or mafia movie, the protagonist dies or survive. Protagonist who try to survive with kitchen knife, axe,I don't like all characters, Iron Man, Captain America, The Hulk, Thor, Black Widow, Hawkeye, and antagonist. Their weaon, costume, armor is very unattractive. I don't like superhero movies. They are invincible, they always win easily. That is why I love protagonist from horror movies or mafia movie, the protagonist dies or survive. Protagonist who try to survive with kitchen knife, axe, or pistol with 3 bullets, like Erin from The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. Expand
  20. May 19, 2013
    This movie is terrible the story is dog and I don't see why people buzz about it I turned it off after 40 mins and Loki come on why not red skull...
  21. May 13, 2013
    I don't know if I'm missing something here. I felt like the Avengers had it's moments, but they were moments. The movie was predominantly stupid, which is frustrating. I watched the avengers act like children. I watched both the avengers, and the bad guys make dumb decisions. Hawkeye, you blew up one engine with an arrow. Why not blow up two, or three, or four? Oh, okay. You're going toI don't know if I'm missing something here. I felt like the Avengers had it's moments, but they were moments. The movie was predominantly stupid, which is frustrating. I watched the avengers act like children. I watched both the avengers, and the bad guys make dumb decisions. Hawkeye, you blew up one engine with an arrow. Why not blow up two, or three, or four? Oh, okay. You're going to hack the system to shut down the other one. Right. And I feel like this would be acceptable, if the film owned up to it. If there was some reason that being dumb was okay. But it didn't major plot twists were created, and solved on mistakes, jealousies, and blunders. That's a lot less fun than cleverness. Expand
  22. Mar 8, 2013
    A horrible movie, definitely did not deserve the money it made. I can't think of a lot of things that I actually liked about the movie, because there really aren't a lot. I was actually surprised at the story of the movie, it sounds like a mentally challenged child wrote it. The first ten minutes of the movie alone ruined it, it's just a horrible story that only idiots would like. TheA horrible movie, definitely did not deserve the money it made. I can't think of a lot of things that I actually liked about the movie, because there really aren't a lot. I was actually surprised at the story of the movie, it sounds like a mentally challenged child wrote it. The first ten minutes of the movie alone ruined it, it's just a horrible story that only idiots would like. The entire movie is pretty much just special effects and not much else. Unless you're one of those morons whose easily amused by the pretty lights on the screen, don't ever watch this movie. Expand
  23. Feb 9, 2013
    I still cannot believe I wasted my money on this, what a complete and utter waste of time! I am shocked by the fact people thought this movie was great. I mean the acting was poor, the screenplay was laughable and the directing was far from perfect. It's so sad that people don't know good movies anymore these days.
  24. Jan 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Avengers is a pitiful excuse of a movie. The film is so heavy on action sequences that plot, character development, and any good storytelling are just nonexistent. There is so much useless humor that the movie just drags on. The last battle seemed like it was half the entire movie and battle ended unnaturally quickly and with little effort but the avengers. Hawkeye and Black Widow, who are just human beings, seem to be able to take out huge aliens with guns with ease. The hulk, who said he could control his transformation by always being angry completely baffles me. If he is always angry and can control himself, then why did he transform when he was on the floating base. A highly overrated and completely terrible film. Expand
  25. Jan 6, 2013
    Brainless action with no real story or character's development. The movie has tons of special effects and cgs but in the end it feels more like a colorful candy that is rotten inside. Almost complete garbage.
  26. Jan 5, 2013
    The Avengers is shockingly phony, corny and cheesy. The movie is extremely clumsy with too many characters with all their personal backgrounds. The story and movie completely fall apart wth the lack of chemistry between any of the superheros. An action spectacle wth very little to show for.
  27. Dec 4, 2012
    My most honest opinion as a Marvel fan: this movie is an absolute piece of garbage and overrated as hell. It's just as dumb and moronic as Bay's Transformers by only focusing on big budget special effects and random silly jokes. I give it a 2/10 because Mark Ruffalo was the only good thing about this film otherwise it would have been a 0/10.

It's good for little kids but those 3D

It's good for little kids but those 3D animated movies have much more depth than The Avengers. This movie could lower theirs and your IQ.
  28. Nov 9, 2012
    I finally saw Avengers the other night. I was expecting so much more from Joss Whedon. Where were the deep conflicted characters and the witty dialogue that I'm used to from Firefly and Buffy? This movie was too much like Transformers. It was way too heavy on action and special effects, with little to no character development. Also, I just can't get past how cheesy the costumes were,I finally saw Avengers the other night. I was expecting so much more from Joss Whedon. Where were the deep conflicted characters and the witty dialogue that I'm used to from Firefly and Buffy? This movie was too much like Transformers. It was way too heavy on action and special effects, with little to no character development. Also, I just can't get past how cheesy the costumes were, especially the villain's. I mean what was with those ridiculous horns?? I fell asleep about 6 times during the movie and kept waking myself up because I was waiting for it to get good. It just never happened. With all the amazing writers out there struggling for work why are we having to put up with this crap on the silver screen? Expand
  29. Sep 12, 2012
    I usually give points for trying. I am not sure who tried to make this movie good, except critics and varied audiences. Extremely jerky plotline, at times it seems like I am watching a commercial for seven upcoming movies. In no way do any of the cast, save for Downey, represent what I would call acting. Johanssen is awkward to look at, seemingly too chubby to look viable as any sort ofI usually give points for trying. I am not sure who tried to make this movie good, except critics and varied audiences. Extremely jerky plotline, at times it seems like I am watching a commercial for seven upcoming movies. In no way do any of the cast, save for Downey, represent what I would call acting. Johanssen is awkward to look at, seemingly too chubby to look viable as any sort of action actress, and again tends to float in and out of her lines. Hemsworth/Thor gives a good turn, yet he just isn't given much to work with. It is like watching a bad soap opera for teenage boys. Too silly and too cheesy to sit longer than a half hour through. I wanted to like this, set aside time and can pretty much say it falls flat. Expand
  30. Jul 27, 2012
    The best superhero movie ever? Not even close. Do NOT believe the hype with this film, it is simply a lot of hot air. Poor acting - check - there are a few brief moments mainly by Eric Banner
    Poorly paced - check - unbelievably clunky beginning then into CGI battle after CGI battle - yawn.
    Poor dialogue - check - this is my biggest annoyance. Whedon is meant to be great at dialogue. Where did it go so wrong here? Well this little line sums it up - whats the plan of attack? i have a plan. attack. Yeah its that cheesy. Some people are trying to defend the title of it being a mindless popcorn flick by trying to see things that are not there. This happens in any film where it really is as shallow as it looks. There are some nice glances between characters but it is all so contrived and unrealistic its hard to feel anything for it. When the characters are over being spoilt brats there is the coming together period which is meant to be one of the key character moments in an otherwise disappointing display. It's fair to say it falls short, again feeling contrived and unconvincing. DO NOT BELIEVE THE HYPE - this film is poor, at absolute best its around 4/10. I am giving it a 1/10 for a number of reasons. 1 - the number of 10/10 is ridiculous not many films deserve 10/10 and this film certainly does not. 2 - the hype lead me to believe this film would be incredible, its not, this caused great disappointment for me. As other top critics have said this film is shallow and a fun popcorn flick. If you like comic books then its almost certainly for you. If however you like intelligent film making with well developed characters which is well paced - go watch something else.

1. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    May 8, 2012
    The banter has zip, the effects are fun, the climactic battle is decently spectacular, and if the 3-D is mostly expendable, there are a few scenes where it adds a nice kick.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    May 4, 2012
    This mania is what Marvel followers have hungered for, and it would be fruitless to deny their delight. As Loki says to a crowd of earthlings, "It is the unspoken truth of humanity that you crave subjugation." We do, Master, we do.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    May 4, 2012
    They're fascinating characters, to be sure, with back stories ripe for development. But Whedon doesn't commit here, and the results are shrug-worthy.