8.0

1. May 23, 2012
    Despite being billed as an action movie, The Avengers is painfully slow. Much of the plot involves the eponymous team fighting each other, though we all know going in that they will eventually team-up, so this lengthy attempt at conflict seems especially sluggish and misdirected. Robert Downey Jr. And Samuel L. Jackson both manage to pull focus and remind you you're watching a bad movieDespite being billed as an action movie, The Avengers is painfully slow. Much of the plot involves the eponymous team fighting each other, though we all know going in that they will eventually team-up, so this lengthy attempt at conflict seems especially sluggish and misdirected. Robert Downey Jr. And Samuel L. Jackson both manage to pull focus and remind you you're watching a bad movie more than they usually do, which is saying something; and the cast is generally much too aware they are in a movie for it to work. Indeed, The Avengers is so remarkably unambitious they even manage to avoid developing some of the team's most notable members like The Scarlet Witch and The Vision, choices that would be mystifying if it wasn't so clearly a cynically half-hearted attempt at storytelling. Nevertheless, Chris Evans is still nice to look at. Expand
  2. Feb 1, 2014
    Mala muy sobre valorada, Joss Whedon puede ser bue guionista pero como director deja mucho que desear, la película es decepcionante y todos parecen niños desesperados por esta película. Una historia muy simple.
  3. May 27, 2013
    I don't like all characters, Iron Man, Captain America, The Hulk, Thor, Black Widow, Hawkeye, and antagonist. Their weaon, costume, armor is very unattractive. I don't like superhero movies. They are invincible, they always win easily. That is why I love protagonist from horror movies or mafia movie, the protagonist dies or survive. Protagonist who try to survive with kitchen knife, axe,I don't like all characters, Iron Man, Captain America, The Hulk, Thor, Black Widow, Hawkeye, and antagonist. Their weaon, costume, armor is very unattractive. I don't like superhero movies. They are invincible, they always win easily. That is why I love protagonist from horror movies or mafia movie, the protagonist dies or survive. Protagonist who try to survive with kitchen knife, axe, or pistol with 3 bullets, like Erin from The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. Expand
  4. Oct 19, 2013
    I hate how marvel shows their heroes today, very violent and taking so many lives. they are too brutal and it's hard to view them as heroes especially when a huge part of marvel's fan base are children. They are viewed as gods and its ridiculous that they just take a life at will. Another thing that I hate is marvel is just being a copycat with this movie. With Loki purposely gettingI hate how marvel shows their heroes today, very violent and taking so many lives. they are too brutal and it's hard to view them as heroes especially when a huge part of marvel's fan base are children. They are viewed as gods and its ridiculous that they just take a life at will. Another thing that I hate is marvel is just being a copycat with this movie. With Loki purposely getting captured like the joker in the dark knight then destroying the air base from within just like how joker destroyed the police station. Another thing is the whole destroy the mothership and kill the whole army this is copied from Battle L.A. And Star Wars the phantom menace. Marvel is just a mediocre copycat company. They should be more original with the wonderful characters that they have. Expand
  5. May 13, 2013
    I don't know if I'm missing something here. I felt like the Avengers had it's moments, but they were moments. The movie was predominantly stupid, which is frustrating. I watched the avengers act like children. I watched both the avengers, and the bad guys make dumb decisions. Hawkeye, you blew up one engine with an arrow. Why not blow up two, or three, or four? Oh, okay. You're going toI don't know if I'm missing something here. I felt like the Avengers had it's moments, but they were moments. The movie was predominantly stupid, which is frustrating. I watched the avengers act like children. I watched both the avengers, and the bad guys make dumb decisions. Hawkeye, you blew up one engine with an arrow. Why not blow up two, or three, or four? Oh, okay. You're going to hack the system to shut down the other one. Right. And I feel like this would be acceptable, if the film owned up to it. If there was some reason that being dumb was okay. But it didn't major plot twists were created, and solved on mistakes, jealousies, and blunders. That's a lot less fun than cleverness. Expand
  6. Feb 3, 2014
    Perfect example of an overrated movie. The saying "Less is more" applies here. There are too many super heroes in this film and none of them are used appropriately. The movie is also much longer than it needs to be. It never seems to end and for most of it, it is boring and forgettable. By the time the real action begins, you're already more than 3/4s into the film. This is a dumb stupidPerfect example of an overrated movie. The saying "Less is more" applies here. There are too many super heroes in this film and none of them are used appropriately. The movie is also much longer than it needs to be. It never seems to end and for most of it, it is boring and forgettable. By the time the real action begins, you're already more than 3/4s into the film. This is a dumb stupid popcorn movie featuring a dumb stupid team of superheroes. Ironman on his own or Hulk on his own are great but throw them in with goody two shoes Captain America whose character is flat, boring and lifeless or Mr. Bulging Biceps Thor who isn't a super hero at all (He's a mythical God. Next time, the Avengers should recruit Zeus or Jesus Christ) and is the beefed up equivalent of Brandan Frasier's boy in a bunker and its just gets sloshed around into a muddled mess. Expand
  7. Jan 6, 2013
    Brainless action with no real story or character's development. The movie has tons of special effects and cgs but in the end it feels more like a colorful candy that is rotten inside. Almost complete garbage.
  8. Jan 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Avengers is a pitiful excuse of a movie. The film is so heavy on action sequences that plot, character development, and any good storytelling are just nonexistent. There is so much useless humor that the movie just drags on. The last battle seemed like it was half the entire movie and battle ended unnaturally quickly and with little effort but the avengers. Hawkeye and Black Widow, who are just human beings, seem to be able to take out huge aliens with guns with ease. The hulk, who said he could control his transformation by always being angry completely baffles me. If he is always angry and can control himself, then why did he transform when he was on the floating base. A highly overrated and completely terrible film. Expand
  9. Feb 9, 2013
    I still cannot believe I wasted my money on this, what a complete and utter waste of time! I am shocked by the fact people thought this movie was great. I mean the acting was poor, the screenplay was laughable and the directing was far from perfect. It's so sad that people don't know good movies anymore these days.
  10. May 19, 2013
    This movie is terrible the story is dog and I don't see why people buzz about it I turned it off after 40 mins and Loki come on why not red skull...
  11. Feb 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Watch one of the most overrated piece of entertainment since call of duty, The Avengers. Watch one of the most forgettable superhero/ action movie of 2012. See one of the most basic story plots rip off other popular moments from other films E.g. The Dark Knight, Transformers, Star Wars and Power ranger? Watch the film that has terrible character development for all the characters except Tony Stark. See one of the worst Hulks and the worst actor to play Bruce Banner "Christ i almost mistook it for the BFG, i mean what the hell happened to Ed Norton". Watch how all these super hero movies can do what Christopher Nolan can do in just one film. "My god how the hell did this get so many good ratings". Expand
  12. Jan 22, 2015
    The Avengers is not just bad, it's boring as hell. I simply don't get the appeal for these sorts of films. A 15 minute plot and 2 hours of mindless, mind numbing action is not exactly my idea of entertainment. Might as well go into the kitchen, bang a few utensils around and use my own imagination. It's certainly not art and it's not even fun.
  13. Aug 6, 2014
    Aburridísima. Pensé que no estaría mal juntar a tantos superhéroes pero el resultado fue una película con una primera hora llena de diálogos vacíos y chistes tontos (que alguien le pegue un tiro ya a thor y hulk, pensaba yo) y una segunda hora de acción que solo demuestra que lo único bueno de la peli son sus efectos. ¿En serio os gusta esto?
    Películas para niños pequeños... Marvel las ha
    Películas para niños pequeños... Marvel las ha hecho mejores. Desastrosa.
  14. Jan 19, 2015
    DISAPOINTING

For heroes like this to be in a movie, there should be more action with the hulk. As well as that there was a horrible plot behind the movie and it can bore you to death sometimes. This was truly horrible.
  15. Apr 23, 2015
    Most Overrated pile of crap i've ever seen!

Most Overrated pile of crap i've ever seen!

Marvel Studios unveils its costliest special-effects demo to date; somewhere beneath the nonstop digital explosions lies a story about superheroes fighting an evil demigod from space. Every now and then, director Joss Whedon (Serenity) executes a quirky camera set-up to assert that the film was created by him and not a team of marketing executives. Of the star-studded cast, only Mark Ruffalo (playing Bruce Banner) and Robert Downey Jr. (as Iron Man) bring any personality to the place-holder dialogue. Overlong, monotonous, violent, and simple-minded, this is like one of those “World’s Biggest Gang Bang” videos, except that no one onscreen appears to be enjoying himself. With Samuel L. Jackson, Scarlett Johansson, and Jeremy Renner.

Plus I can't stand LOKI!!!
  16. Jun 26, 2015
    Seriously the best superhero movie ever? no way. It is very mediocre. Just a bunch of superheroes trying to one up each other while battling one of the least terrifying villains of all time.
  17. Jan 3, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm sorry. This movie just doesn't do it for me. I'm an old guy, but I like super-hero movies. They're a guilty pleasure for me, like fast food. I know they're junk, but junk can be enjoyable. This particular burger , however, didn't have much flavor. It's big, big in every way. It follows the first rule of theatrical combat--it's sustained. When there's a fight it goes on for quite a while. The characters bang away at each other and finally at the common enemy for long periods. Huge sets get destroyed, costumes get torn, faces are bloodied. At first one gets the impression that the big money spent on making the film is well-displayed on the screen. And then one begins to doubt that.

A few minutes after the story ended, and the banging and thundering no longer echoed in the room, the problem became clearer. I thought about the scene of the enemy soldiers pouring out of the metal monster and I asked myself to think about a real army. How large is an infantry division I asked myself. When I studied such matters when I was earning my commission as a second lieutenant an infantry division might number about ten thousand men and women. On screen we were witnessing an interplanetary war. Surely one division would be employed in such an undertaking. After all, the soldiers who poured out of the sky were equipped with rather modest weapons. I mean that the soldiers on their airborne scooters did not each carry a weapon of mass destruction. These were beefed up infantrymen, or some kind of mechanized cavalry. In a "war" they'd be sent in brigades and divisions and whole armies.

I've seen movies that portrayed war on a proper scale. One of Zhang Yimou's films employed at least 10,000 extras for a combat scene in a film made about 15 years ago. It's possible to use cgi to replace real people, but if it's going to look realistic one has to put some money into these digital masses.

The current film actually operates on a rather small scale. Looking at the cast list, which had lots of well known names on it one wonders how it cost to have so many big time players. A couple of hundred million dollars isn't that much when a single name can cost several million dollars.

I'm sorry to be a spoilsport, but I think that an amped up soundtrack, lots of explosions, a ton of broken pretend glass, and heavy work on a leather bag by the foley artist don't add up to a really big time experience.

As for the plot...well let's just say it has a pasted together quality that comes from deciding in advance on the number of fight scenes to be shot. This is a carnival ride approach to story telling. How many loops shall we take the audience through before putting on the brakes.

I notice that the two Avengers movies made by this crew run exactly the same length (within one minute on a base of 140 minutes).

As I said at the beginning of this critique I knew at the outset that I was going for some cinematic fast food. My complaint is that I wasn't served fast food, this is some kind of synthetic product. It certainly has no nutritional value, and on that basis I'd keep it away from the kids. It's Awfully violent. It doesn't tell a clear coherent story, the acting is often dreadful, What we have is a money making machine that doesn't give you much even if you only spend a few dollars on it to see it on your home screen. For a lot more money you can see its sequel on the big screen. That may make it look more impressive, but I for one will not be in that audience.

1. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    May 8, 2012
    The banter has zip, the effects are fun, the climactic battle is decently spectacular, and if the 3-D is mostly expendable, there are a few scenes where it adds a nice kick.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    May 4, 2012
    This mania is what Marvel followers have hungered for, and it would be fruitless to deny their delight. As Loki says to a crowd of earthlings, "It is the unspoken truth of humanity that you crave subjugation." We do, Master, we do.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    May 4, 2012
    They're fascinating characters, to be sure, with back stories ripe for development. But Whedon doesn't commit here, and the results are shrug-worthy.