7.9

1. May 15, 2012
    The only thing that stops this movie from getting a 10 is the relatively slow beginning. Though necessary to the development of the characters, it still felt sluggish at times. However, the last hour and a half or so is beyond epic and easily compensates for any flaws the film has. The Hulk stole the show. It may have taken 3 movies with 3 different actors, but Marvel has finally perfected Bruce Banner on the big screen. Expand
  2. May 15, 2012
    I would not bother seeing the 3D version of the movie since the 3D aspect was added later and not very well. That being said, this is an amazing movie and I can't wait to see it again. Just don't pay extra for mediocre 3D.
  3. May 15, 2012
    Can't remember the last time (never?) I went to a movie on a Monday night and saw a half full theatre of people cheering and laughing at a movie. Despite the positive hype, I cringed when the movie started off with a space scene featuring gods, aliens, magic, and mass-audience-unfriendly terms like "The Tesseract." It seriously seemed like all the right ingredients for the perfect train wreck. But it worked, and it worked well; delivering some of the best / most clever scenes ever to appear in a superhero movie. The casting was excellent as well - especially for Bruce Banner - even just standing there, he felt, nerdy, detached and dangerous. (but with just the right amount of soul.) I guess the best compliment I can give The Avengers is that it reminded me why sometimes it's just awesome to go to the movies. Expand
  4. May 15, 2012
    This Movie was Awesome times Infinity. Whedon depicted all the characters correctly. I have learned a lesson on here today about how Metacritic works. If its a score of 69 like how Avengers has then I should watch it because I loved this movie.
  5. May 15, 2012
    After Thor movie I lost all hope for next awesome comic book based movie, so I wasn't so excited about Avengers... till I saw the movie. Avengers is mix of action, comedy and one of the most popular marvel characters. But there is one problem... story is too cliche. Aliens (extra-dimensional beings) trying to destroy the world and superheroes are going to save it. Nevertheless movie is fun and looks incredible in IMAX. I would certainly give this movie 10 if not the story fail, so it gets 9. Now let's just hope that Dark Knight Rises won't have similar problem. Expand
  6. May 15, 2012
    First of all, the fact that the critics show a score of less than 80 for this film shows that these guys OBVIOUSLY do not know how to enjoy a good film. They spend so much time complicating knit-picky details in their nerdy little heads that it is IMPOSSIBLE for them to enjoy a TRULY GOOD film. And the fact that they rated it in the 60s screams a warning to anyone who will listen that SOMEONE needs to take their bongs away from them at least one week prior to going to see ANY movie upon which they will be writing a review. : Expand
  7. May 15, 2012
    I've seen this movie 3 times, and I plan on seeing it a 4th.

Nuff said.

P.S. Better action than Michael Bay's films, Funnier than Judd Apatow's films and more heart than most anything in recent memory.

Love You Joss
  8. May 15, 2012
    I didn't think I could be invested in so many characters in just one movie. I love the idea that each of the avengers have had there own movies, and that made them more familiar to me for this movie. seeing them together was just amazing. I loved the dialogue between characters and the action. There were a lot of subtle fan service moments that were also accessible to people unfamiliar with the comics. I was never bored because there was always something going on, whether it's a great action sequence or banter between the characters. The Avengers is a movie I can watch now and for many years to come. Expand
  9. DME
    May 14, 2012
    Full of great action and humor. It keeps a good balance on every hero and doesn't favor any over another. From start to finish it's quite simply an awesome movie, maybe even the greatest superhero movie of all-time. The Avengers is spectacular.
  10. May 14, 2012
    Excellent and very funny movie! All the main characters get some great lines, lots of good action, lots of fun.

Easily one of the best superhero movies in recent memory (excepting the amazing Batman reboot series).

Best. Line. Ever. "Clench up Legolas" (said by Ironman to Hawk-eye).
  11. May 13, 2012
    This movie was extremely fun to watch and also had a good plot. It was fun to see all the different guys come together. The humor was pretty damn good for an action movie. It was also cool seeing Captain America (Chris Evans) because he grew up in my hometown. This is a movie I would watch again.
  12. May 12, 2012
    An amazing balancing act of chaos, explosions, big heroes, big actors, and good humor all done very well. I am very impressed that everything was done so well yet so balanced and entertaining. This sets a new standard for multi cast action films. Take note transformers.
  13. CDQ
    May 12, 2012
    The best movie this year by far, and perhaps the best superhero movie of all time. The sheer awesomeness of The Avengers cannot be explained with words. It was completely amazing.
  14. May 12, 2012
    This movie has flow, comedy and good character development. It is what you hope for when you go to see the movies. I don't make sweeping generalizations without substance unless I feel certain, this movie is brilliant.

Just go see it.
    It's worth the 10 I'm giving it.
  15. May 12, 2012
    This film was great - it had fantastic visuals, nice characters, breathtaking fights and kept me interested all the time. I consider it a great success :) There were also genuine comedic moments, when the entire cinema laughed. I enjoyed it very, very much and this is what is all about.
  16. May 12, 2012
    "Joss Whedon is a freaking Genius" . It was so difficult to put together something like this but his amazing Story and Direction made the movie awesome . It was very thrilling and the action scenes were incredible and its had some really funny moment too which tells that the movie is not boring at all. Robart , Tom was the best as they were before. Hamsworth was good but not better then he was on Thor . Evans on the other seemed kinda different . seems like he was too angry about everything . Scarlet was super and her action scenes were perfect but hated her hair style. S.l.Jackson and Jeremy was super too . And last Cobie was the surprise of the film . I saw her every week on HIMYM but here seeing her beauty just made my day ! plus her custom was WahaaoooO !!!
    Effect was good as well as al the other work . But I didnt like the theme song that much . It wasnt bad but its not catchy like other superhero films.Overall The Avengers is a total perfect Entertainment !

Really want to thank The Avengers Creator Stan "The Man" Lee (Respect)! and co-creator Jack Kirby.

tnx to Marvel , Disney & Kevin for taking this Dream Project and turning it into a freaking awesome movie !
  17. May 12, 2012
    The first ten minutes of The Avengers is amazingly action packed and there isn't even a super powered hero in sight. It only gets increasing doses of "Oh MY GOD" from there! I found myself constantly saying to myself " Well nothing will top that," then BAM! topped it becomes. This movie will make you want to joyously cheer at the screen and you will.
  18. May 12, 2012
    This movie is just made of WIN, truly mind-blowing but also thought provoking. Definitely not one of those action hero movies where the switching off of one's mind is compulsory.
  19. May 12, 2012
    THE AVENGERS is yet again more proof that Joss Whedon is a genius and is one of the greatest filmmakers of today. The Avengers is brilliantly written, contains great humour, well-done action sequences and visuals and great performances from the cast. The Avengers is probably one of the greatest superhero movies of all time!
  20. May 12, 2012
    The Avengers is one of the greatest movies I have ever gone to see.If you like action films with no romance this is the film for you as there are no soppy love scenes which every action movie fan hates. Plus there are some humorous parts for people who like some comedy in a movie. Overall all the actor's and actresses played their role perfectly.I strongly recommend you see this film.
  21. May 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is not so much a review in & of itself, as a response to all of the negative reviews I have read. With that said, this will be FULL OF SPOILERS. Do not read anymore if you hate spoilers. Most of the negative reviews I have seen thus far have been written by individuals who, quite obviously, have absolutely no clue what they are talking about. At least in regards to The Avengers. Some common complaints I have seen:
    1) The movie did not have enough exposition & I struggled to keep up with what was happening.
    ~The movie had plenty of exposition...about FIVE MOVIES worth of it. If you can't remember what happened in Iron Man or Thor because you haven't seen either of those movies since their theatrical release, that is not Joss Whedon's fault. Nor is it a fault of this movie. It would have been impractical to squeeze in an extra twenty or thirty minutes of exposition in a pointless attempt to bring those individuals who didn't "do their homework" up to speed.
    2) The heroes bickered & fought too much with each other.
    ~The reasoning behind this was two-fold. First & foremost, this is a form of fanservice. Geeky comic nerds (i.e. the target audience) WANT to see Thor & Hulk go toe to toe. We WANT to see Captain America deflect Mjölnir with his shield. Pitting our favorite heroes against each other has been a part of comics since comics existed, & to exclude that element from the film would have been a massive disappointment. Even if you ignore the fact that the heroes fighting amongst themselves was a desired piece of the movie, you cannot ignore one simple truth: it was entirely in character for these heroes to not get along with one another. At least, not at first. How unbelievable would it have been if the upright, disciplined, & serious Steve Rogers became fast friends with the pompous, arrogant, & self-absorbed Tony Stark? It would have been an outrage.
    3) My willing suspension of disbelief broke when I saw the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier.
    ~Having S.H.I.E.L.D. play a role in all of the movies leading up to The Avengers, & then planning S.H.I.E.L.D. to have such a large part in The Avengers, but to exclude the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier? Or, perhaps even worse, to simplify or dumb down the Helicarrier so it was JUST an aircraft carrier? Tantamount to blasphemy. Thor without his hammer, Captain American without his shield. Sure, those characters would still WORK & would still be recognizable...but (much like the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier) those are iconic elements that the audience is expecting to see.
    4) The movie had a slow start.
    ~You must have missed the first fifteen minutes. You know, the part with all of the explosions, the gunfights, the car chase, the demi-god vaporizing people, & the massive underground complex that was turned into a city sized crater. All before the title appeared on screen. After that, the movie gives a brief (six to ten minutes) exposition on what each individual Avenger is currently doing, gives the viewer a glimpse on what the bad guy is up to, then dives right back into more action. Perhaps the first hour felt slow because the second hour was an absolute non-stop adrenaline fueled thrill ride. That's my best guess.
    5) Nothing but mindless fight scenes.
    ~I don't know how to reply to this, other than ask...have you read a comic book? Ever? There is, on average, a pretty good bit of fighting. Which, most comic book readers will agree, is not a bad thing as long as its done well. In The Avengers...it is done very well.
    6) The dialogue was terrible.
    ~I digress that some characters are less interesting to listen to than others. However, that is not something you can fault the movie for. Every character works at their maximum capacity, & every actor fulfills their roles quite well. You cannot blame the movie or Chris Hemsworth for Thor having epic sounding if somewhat stiff dialogue. You cannot blame Joss Whedon or Mark Ruffalo for Bruce Banner seeming somewhat bland, boring, or shy. They are playing the characters perfectly, absolutely spot-on! Not every member of The Avengers gets to be the witty & sharp tongued Tony Stark.

In closing...I am sure I missed some complaints. Those are the ones that burned foremost in my mind. Is The Avengers a landmark groundbreaking masterpiece? No.
    Is it a work of art that will be discussed in classrooms? No.
    Is it a damned fun movie that hits all of the right spots, pushes the right buttons, & pleases its target audience? Hell yes. It is certainly that.
    Will there be a sequel? Without doubt.
  22. May 12, 2012
    Ben_Otter, Omg you must not been reading any comics when you were a kid. Superman,Green Lantern and Batman belongs to the DC comic syndicate and their hero group is called the Justice League... The Avengers are group of heros from Stan Lee's Marvel Comics. Completely different heroes from completely different storyline. Justice Avengers? Wow, that's a good title for a spoof comedy movie . It really shows how knowledgeable you are Mr Otter hence your spelling too needs improving. I do not know what you look for in rating a nice movie. Personally what makes a great movie is its villain. I would say the villains of marvel comics/film are a lot scary and powerful than the ones Superman and Batman encounters. But again I wonder what movie creators of DC's Justice League would have villains on it. Ben_Otter, I would avoid making comments until you do a little research about any movie you watch and review. Power Rangers have such lame villains(nice design costumes though very colorful) and they do like move, position their arms and head nodding a lot to communicate cause they do not use their mouths, people would find you strange and avoid you if like to be such a Power Ranger hero. Expand
  23. May 11, 2012
    Absolutely my favorite movie. Heh hulk is so funny lol. MY FAVORITE CHARACTER! i like the attitude that tony stark has is so funny, and captain america is so cool
  24. May 11, 2012
    Everyone has been saying that this is the best superhero movie ever and maybe the best movie ever. It's definitely not the best MOVIE ever, but it does contend to be the best superhero movie. I can't give it a 10 because it didn't finish, obviously there's another one coming and it did have a few things I would change. I wish that there would have been more enemies that weren't just random creatures.

But the movie was great, with great action scenes and good dialog and was very funny at times. I would give it an 8.5 if I could, but I cant and I won't go down to an 8, so it gets a 9.
  25. May 11, 2012
    So good makes me wish DC would do something with the Justice League. TA is everything you want a super hero movie to be and then some. And welcome back Hulk. Genuine breakout star of this movie.
  26. May 11, 2012
    I thoroughly enjoyed watching this movie in the theater. That said, it was a bit on the long side and was just short of 2 hours and 30 minutes. Not sure what they could have cut out though.
  27. May 11, 2012
    What's not to like? Pick your favorite superhero and you'll probably find him/her/it in this film (sorry Spiderman, but you have another film coming up). Great humor. Super effects. Robert Downey, Jr. steals the show - not easy to do next to the Hulk - and his humor is so off the cuff that I wonder if he wrote much of it himself. Either way? It works! It's a summer blockbuster.
  28. May 11, 2012
    This movie is full of awesome. I enjoyed every minute of this movie. It was like watching comic book come to life. Joss Whedon knows how to bring a ensemble cast together and make you want to know what going on with every character.
  29. May 10, 2012
    Great script, great laughs, great action, and of course, great super heroes. If you like anything about Marvel, then this movie is a must see. It will have you dreaming about super heroes again.
  30. May 10, 2012
    I love this movie. My experience is based on the fact that I have seen the other Marvel movies to come out before this. Quite frankly, I was amazed at how coherent the plot was with so many characters on the screen at one time.

If you have NOT seen the prequel films to this one, I would HIGHLY recommend that you do. You are doing yourself a disservice.
  31. May 10, 2012
    This film was incredible. It had every thingI was expecting. Action, FX and a little bit of, no quite A LOT of humor!!!!!. the actors were excellent in this film. Especially Robert Downey Jr (Iron Man) and Chris Hemsworth (Thor). 10 out of 10!!!!
  32. May 9, 2012
    If you're not into going green this summer then you will be when you see the HULK close the show and Robert Downy Jr -Stark steal the show. Its like seeing Bruce Lee, Matrix, Transformers and X-Men mashup. Not a Mona Lisa or as philosophical and scientific as Leonardo Divinci but it makes a hell of an abstract Picasso to wow you. -Derrick
  33. May 9, 2012
    To the critics, it's a movie based on COMIC BOOK characters. It doesn't need to be art or drama to be good. What it was though, is a fun comic book story. The action and humor was spot on.
  34. May 9, 2012
    ONE OF MY FAVORITE MOVIES EVER! Hands down the best movie I have seen this year. From acting, to the plot, to the effects, this film has it all. I feel Mr. Whedon has taken the comic book movie to a new level. It doesn't hurt that the movie has several of our childhood heroes either. This just shows what happens when you put the right people in the right situation. HULK SMASH!!!
  35. May 9, 2012
    First off, I would give this a 9.75 out of 10. Almost perfection. For sure one of the best superhero movies ever. Visuals are spectacular. It's truly a masterpiece how great this movie's visuals are. Acting is good. Everyone does a pretty good job. Story is real good. Also great script. It can be very funny. Music is real good. Overall, this is a great film that has almost everything. It's funny, full of action, full of awesomeness, and has 100% all fun. Everyone absolutely should go see it. You'll be making a great mistake not seeing this movie. It's really a great movie. Expand
  36. May 9, 2012
    Amongst the many ill-equipped to add to the many and various accolades this Avengerâ
  37. May 9, 2012
    This movie is great. I went to a midnight premier and was not disappointed. Recently most Hollywood productions have been lackluster or had serious flaws. This is not true with The Avengers. The story was tied together very well, adding continuity from the other characters movies without detracting from the main plot in this movie. What really makes this movie great is the amount of "Oh **** moments. I was excited pretty regularly throughout the movie and not infrequently the theater broke into applause. See this movie if you like fun. Expand
  38. May 9, 2012
    This movie is definitely amazing and hilarious!!! is not just action is a lot of fun too!! you will leave the movie theater with a smile on your face, definitely a must see movie. This movie was amazing in every aspect, script acting, funny moments, character development, character interaction, special effects, the best superhero movie ever made PERIOD.
    Is the best movie i've seen in quite
    a while, and definitely the best of the superhero movie franchises.
    I would say a MUST SEE for everybody... no exceptions!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  39. May 9, 2012
    How many comic book based movies get it right? Not many. However, this one does and does it really damn well. When I went to see this, I half expected the movie to spend an hour getting everyone together for a the big finally which would last maybe 15 minutes. Thus, my expectations were low. Real low.

But, much to my surprise, they made that quick and easy. Most of the movie is action
    based. Even better, they still add a lot of plot to the movie as to not be on a one way track. The graphics are extremely impressive and you will find yourself arguing with friends about who your favorite hero was. Mine being Iron Man. Bam!

Overall, was it the best movie I ever saw. I don't know, maybe. The reality is, will you have fun when you go to see this? I say yes. So go drop some cash on popcorn and drinks. Sit back, relax and enjoy the action.
  40. May 9, 2012
    This movie is by far the best start to the summer movie season we've had in a LONG time. Everything was perfectly timed and the cinematography was stunning. Some of the best 3D work since Hugo. Robert Downey Jr was completely on top of his game in this movie. He has taken the character of Tony Stark and taken him to a WHOLE NEW LEVEL!! This movie was big and epic and its the way it should've been!! Would almost want to see it again but only in IMAX, but Dark Shadows comes out next week, so it looks like a one and done deal for me until I purchase it on 3D Blu Ray.

In closing, if you havent seen this movie yet, get out there and see it. You'll laugh, applaud, and cheer right till the very end. Also, FYI, stay til after the end of the credits for a special treat!
  41. May 8, 2012
    I had the great opportunity to watch this on the 2nd of May on an Imax 3D equipped cinema and my wife and me had a blast of a time. I've never seen my wife (whose never read a Marvel comic in her life) so excited throughout a movie. After the movie, she was all questions.

Joss Whedon put together a pretty difficult idea that was born with the first Iron Man. Something incredibly hard to
    pull off and some say too bloody expensive to make.

I think Tom Hiddleston and Mark Ruffalo stole the show and I can't wait to see Mr. Ruffalo in the next Hulk movie. Suffice to say, go watch The Avengers, it's the best Summer Block buster ride till Mr. Brooding Knight Rises.

2012...It's a great time to be a comic geek!
  42. May 8, 2012
    First and foremost Hulk absolutely steals the show. He has the best moments and best character development. Awesome job. Second, the teaser at the end was so amazing I lost sleep. Third the film did an excellent time of showcasing the whole cast (a feat I didn't think they could pull off). Fourth I actually liked Captain America in this movie, I was bored to death by him in his own movie. The interaction amongst the characters was fast and clever, making more room for great action scenes to satisfy any Marvel fan Expand
  43. May 8, 2012
    Star filled lineup with perfect execution. The Avengers is probably the best action movie I have seen to date. All main characters acted and worked so well together it was great and the comedy mix was perfect. A perfect execution and amazing job by Joss Whedon, Zak Penn, and the cast and crew. (message me for my full evaluation)
  44. May 8, 2012
    Overall, one of my top 3 favorite superhero movies of all time (Along with the dark night and xmen: first class). A great real supervillan. Great acting by Robert Downey Jr., Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, and Scarlett Johanson. Some comedic scenes also made me laugh out loud at some points. Overall, a must see for any action fan.
  45. May 8, 2012
    The movies was pretty fun to watch however ..Thor and the hulk looked bloated.really wished they would have shown hulk getting larger when as he got more upset.
  46. JTD
    May 8, 2012
    Loved it. Probably the best Marvel movie yet. I thought the plot made sense and every character had a purpose.

I have to say, I was not terribly stoked about this after I saw Joss Whedon was behind this. I probably enjoyed it more going into it expecting much less.
  47. May 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Only downside of this movie is the lack of a really good villain. The special effects, story and acting were all pretty well done. It's understandable that it's hard to focus on character development when you have so many heroes/main characters. The movie really relies on the audience member having already watched the 'prequel' movies: Captain America, Iron Man 1+2, The Incredible Hulk, Thor...otherwise you might not understand or relate to the main characters. Being a marvel fan, I recognize who the enemy is at the end of the movie...and if it's who I think it is (Thanos), the next movie will be pretty awesome as it counters my beginning argument of having a relatively weak villain. The movie also has some key parts that are pretty humorous apart from all the action. I think the fighting scenes were all very well done and is what I'd expect from a marvel movie and would even be pretty good as a comic (if it were drawn out). Overall 9-10. Be sure to watch AVX and 3D to get the most out of the experience. Expand
  48. May 8, 2012
    The Avengers is the best Superhero movie Ive had the pleasure to watch. IT has an amazing cast, amazing effects, decent story, and best of all, it stays true to the comic books, for which it was inspired by. We dont have Whedon changing major back stories from the original comics, instead we get a homage. Ive gone to watch it twice already, and the people that ive gone to watch it with are no "Marvel fans" yet they enjoyed the crap out of it. Watching a movie like this with a big crowd is actually good, because everyone cheers and laughs at all the amazing moments that happen through out. If you have a sense of humor, you will love this movie. Expand
  49. May 8, 2012
    Amazing movie, everything a comic/superhero fan could ask for. Joss Whedon does a great job bringing characterization to such a humongous cast in such little time. Everyone from the Hulk-Hawkeye got their moment to shine and win your heart. I can not wait for a sequel and want Joss to direct more Marvel movies.
  50. May 8, 2012
    I want to say a lot about this film but this is such an awesome film that it can easily be summed up quite quickly. Think of an action film - for example, Transformers is a good one - with two dimensional characters, humanity, real humour and a wonderful story to boot. Even the villain has his own personality and a legitimate reason to invade Earth. This is one of those films that even for the umpteenth time you will continue to be entertained. Have you ever seen multiple superheroes from different films from the coolest comics come together with such ease? Expand
  51. May 8, 2012
    I was gitty about going to see the Avengers debut, and I was hopeful Whedon could pull off such a difficult task. This is basically a film where almost every one of the main heroes has been in the lead role. Just the fact that Whedon found a way to juggle these characters is amazing, and the film itself is a remarkable accomplishment on its own. With scenes seemingly torn from the comics themselves, its a blast to watch (i went to the theaters multiple times), and is the best Marvel film to date. Cannot wait for a sequel!!!

P.S. after credits scene, the second one, was hilarious. Great stuff
  52. May 8, 2012
    The culmination of 5 different superhero movies into one explosive mix, there has never been a movie as ambitious as this. The performances, visuals and humor are all top notch, as expected in a Marvel movie. The story itself was what everyone was expecting, and while that may have disappointed some I think they still did a great job bringing everyone together for the first time. Maybe in Avengers 2 they can throw in some surprises, but this was all about making it work, and it worked. Expand
  53. May 8, 2012
    Fantastic. Entertaining from beginning to end (even past the credits). Well written and humourous without going cheesey (like THOR). Scarlett Johansson was super hot.
  54. May 8, 2012
    Taken on its own, it's a great action movie with laugh-out-loud comedy and fine character beats. But you HAVE to factor in the "degree of difficulty" of what Joss Whedon has accomplished. By all rights this thing should have been a total mess. All those heroes sharing one movie? Giving them all their proper character moments, action moments, individual plot arcs while simultaneously giving them proper interpersonal chemistry AND developing the Avengers organization WHILE progressing a movie plot. Whedon pulled the sword from the stone and somehow makes it all work. Much as I love Nolan I have to admit he could not have done this. This took all of Whedon's career of creating great "family" dynamics show after show in his TV series. It took real genius to pull off this movie, and the reviewers who can't see that should pack it in. Expand
  55. May 8, 2012
    Great movie well written well directed and had some really cool scenes the characters where coordinated really well and the action was amazing I would certainly see this movie again in theatres
  56. May 8, 2012
    1 word...AMAZING. totally worth the wait. you got comedy, action and scarlett johansson in it :P i mean Joss Whedon really did a brilliant job on the movie. usually 2 and a half hours could tend to get you a bit cranky but this movie was brilliant and the 2.30 hour run time felt like nothing cause it was so fast paced. loved it and i hope they make a sequel.
  57. May 8, 2012
    1 dimentional characters, weak plot, over the top.......
    If this is the description of fun then give me Avengers any day. This film is fun & exciting. I've not had such a good, mindless & happy time at the piccies for a very very long time. I loved this film from start to finish. It's been a long time since I didn't want a film to end. Avengers is excellent fun, it never takes itself too
    seriously and has some cracking one liners and visual comedy thrown in for good measure. There's even respect for the eldest member of the team towards the end. Go and see this movie if you want to enjoy a trip to the piccies. Expand
  58. May 7, 2012
    Best Marvel film yet? Maybe not. Best Joss Whedon film? Nope, Serenity's smarter and darker, and the Whedon co-written The Cabin In The Woods is more ambitious. But what makes The Avengers so impressive is how it manages to stick to a classic comicbook/action formula, yet somehow feel utterly fresh and distinct. Be it the script, the settings, or the combination of so many superheroes sharing screen space - all freed from an origins story arc or sequel expectations - it just feels--- new, and gleefully satisfying. The characters are bold, yet feel human. And the action is spectacular but never dehumanising (we don't *need* to see civilians being killed during the major set-pieces).

It also absolutely nails a universal audience appeal. Marvel nerds (of which I'm one) can obviously love it, but I've not heard a packed cinema laugh so hard a film for a long time. You really don't need to be a fan to appreciate some of the dialogue or the standout visual gags. Whedon never patronises the audience, giving his characters room to breathe every now and then. But crucially he never forgets why you've paid for a ticket and are sitting in front of that screen: you're there, above all else, to be entertained - and gorram it, he delivers...
  59. May 7, 2012
    Not only is The Avengers one of the best superhero movies, it's quite possibly one of the best movies ever released in modern cinema. The action is intense, the humor is, well, quite humorous, and the characters are made in a way where you actually care about them. Although some acting of some of the non-major characters is suspect, that is no reason to not see this excellent, rollicking action film. Everything, from the combat to the lines to the overall delivery, right down to the teaser for a sequel, is so well done. If you have even the slightest interest in Thor, Iron Man (which, by the way, stole the show), Captain America, Hulk, or Black Widow, then see this film. Now. Expand
  60. May 7, 2012
    I'd like to just pile on with what everyone is saying...GO SEE THIS MOVIE. As close to a guarentee that you will love this movie as you can come by. Only The Dark Knight Rises might be the other but just echoing what's been said - the acting (given a blockbuster movie) is more than adequate, action scences are spectacular and the directing/script was well done. I've seen it twice and plan a third trip before it comes on Blu Ray later in the year. Must see - you won't be disappointed! Expand
  61. May 7, 2012
    A Perfect Ten. Everything you could ask for in an action movie. Even the trailer couldn't give everything away. A must see on every level. The 3-D effects were excellent. It is just amazing!!!
  62. OMM
    May 7, 2012
    This is a great summer movie period. Take your kids get and prepare to be absolutely amazed. I haven't seen effects this real since the first Jurassic Park.
  63. May 7, 2012
    Not much I can add to the hundreds of great reviews. I don't think there's anything that could improve on the movie--everything good was already tossed in! THIS is how superhero movies should be. Consider the bar raised. Not a lot mentioning the SHIELD agents so let me just say, Officer Hill is smokin!
  64. May 7, 2012
    Like any great theme park ride, the Avengers blows your mind through its sheer force of movement but also offers just enough clever personality to make the experience memorable rather than numbing. Some of the critics seem wary of the movie as indicating a vacuous culture: all style and no substance, so to speak. Well, if you are of the persuasion that not every movie has to deeply probe the heart of humanity (or, if you are of my persuasion that this moral investigation is not really done best by a movie, anyway), and you like to be impressed by fantastic worlds brought to life in an awesome way, then go see this movie and don't feel guilty one bit. If, on the other hand, you demand that your roller coaster put some aspect of human life under a microscope, then go try to read Tolstoy through a corkscrew. Expand
  65. May 7, 2012
    I saw the Avengers at midnight in regular format, and thought it was excellent. After leaving the theater, I thought to myself "It must be awesome in 3D". So I saw it in 3D two days later, and thought it was fantastic. I would actually consider seeing it in 3D again. It is one of the best post-production 3D conversions I've ever seen. But even when not focusing on the 3D, this film has great replay value. The film itself was just as good, and possibly better, the second time around. The storyline may be a bit simplistic, and it may be a bit overlong for some, but these are only a small quarrels. The action is absolutely incredible, the acting is very good across the board, and the humor is actually funny. For all of you Transformers fans out there, go see this movie, and see if you'll want to watch another Transformers movie again. In comparison to those films, the Avengers does everything better. Take my word for it, and see the Avengers in 3D. It is an extremely entertainng experience. Expand
  66. May 7, 2012
    Huge action, huge humour, huge actors. Never seen an epic movie like this. If you love action movies or comics, you'll love The Avengers ! Simply the best Marvel movie.
  67. May 7, 2012
    Read The Movie Spot review, wrote it myself, 5000 characters can't summarize how great this movie was. Link below:

68. May 7, 2012
    I think my brain exploded from an overload of awesomeness! If you are a fan of all the previous solo films... get ready for the best payoff we've all been waiting for since the release of the first Iron Man. I'm going back for seconds!
  69. May 7, 2012
    Come for the action, stay for the writing and cast. All of the actors deliver and have a script that's worthy of all of their talents.

Best one-liners ever
  70. K_T
    May 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is perfect, but I want to be very clear about what I mean about that. I'm not saying that everyone should think this movie is perfect, or even that everyone should like it. Nor do I think that it being perfect makes it better than other movies I think are less perfect. All I'm saying is that The Avengers, and Joss Whedon handled what they were working with flawlessly in my mind. So I want to talk about a few things that I think Joss Whedon handled perfectly.

Joss Whedon made a movie that blended well with all the universes he had been given by the other marvel movies (Iron Man, Captain America, etc). Specifiaclly he didn't try to get more out of it then he could. All of the superhero prequel movies before this weren't built as entertaining but not all together thought provoking endevours. So going into an ansamble piece like this helmed by a new director, there's a huge risk of the new piece clashing in tone with the seperate prequel pieces. So while Joss Whedon might have been able to make an elaborate dark Avengers Movie, similar to The Watchmen or The Dark Knight, he couldn't do that without conflicting with the universe of movies he was suppose to be working in.

A second thing Joss Whedon handled well was character development, or rather lack therof (in a good way). There was no "team building" emotional lessons or character changes throughout the movie, and I think that's a good thing. I was worried coming into this that we'd see the Avengers unable to function at all with eachother and then they'd grow to love each other and no longer fight. This worried me because this type of thing is so poorly handled normally. In the Avengers Tony Stark is the same narcasystic playfull jackass the character was known for. So certainly there are team conflictions with that personality, mostly Captain America whose much more straight forward, but these don't get in the way of the simple fact that these people are already superhero's. Despite how they feel about eachother each of them (sans HULK) is genuinley interested in helping the weak. The best example of this is about halfway through the movie Captain America and Stark are arguing and Cap is Saying "put on the suit", taunting him to get this argument to come to blows to settle it. And all of the sudden in the middle of this an explosion errupts and the Avengers' ship is under attack, and without missing a step Captain America says to a recovering Stark "Okay seriously put on the suit" as they race off to combat the threat. To me this very clearly showed that Joss Whedon understood the characters he was working with, and how to aproach them. In Iron Man (one) we see Tony Stark learn through his traumatic experience that there are things more important than himself. He saw that despite himself he needed to save those in harm's way. So I feel like it would have felt insulting to come to this movie and Stark had to learn those feelings all over again because he was to busy arguing with Captain American and let that get in the way of being a hero, but that's not how the movie handled it thankfully. As coy and sarcastic and antiauthoritarian as Stark is, he's still a superhero. So it would have seemed weird if he let a petty argument prevent him from saving someone. And Joss Whedon showed that perfectly. Yeah Stark and Captain were being petty and going after eachother but the moment people were in danger all of that got put on hold and they functioned together perfectly. And thats how it should be. They're both Superhero's there's only so much you can show of them not being able to function together before it becomes illogical.

I had a lot more to talk about like Whedon's use of dichotomy, and the need for the massive battle at the end of the movie, but I'm running short on characters so I'll just pick one last thing. Whedon's Avengers captured the Hulk better than any modern attempt to date. In both the Eric Bana and Edward Norton movies I feel like the Hulk was poorley displayed to capture it's meaning. (Though I think Edward Norton was amazing in the movie) But in the first two Hulk movies of this millenia, what the Hulk is was poorly captured. In both movies what's shown is a Dr. Banner being hunted by the military and the Hulk responding and destroying them. So the feeling of uncontrolled rage never translated because despite the chaos the Hulk was still targeting people trying to kill him. And that made the climax of those movies less meaningful. But in this movie the first time we see the Hulk he's rampaging after a frail girl (okay black Widow, but in comparison) who has no intention to harm him. So the feeling of uncontrolled rage translates to the watcher really well. And at the end of the movie when the Hulk displays somewhat controlled Rage, in a 'these guys are beating up the guys i'm beating up, well i won't go after them then', the contrast seemed more meaningful.
  71. May 7, 2012
    One of the best Superhero movies to date, has an almost perfect mix of Action, Drama, and Comedy. Most likely get a lot of hate for this but The Avengers to me blow The Dark Knight out of the water
  72. May 7, 2012
    You have got to love Joss Whedon. I've been fond of his works since Buffy the Vampire slayer and I had very high hopes for this movie. What can I say, all my hopes were at least met. Good film.
  73. May 7, 2012
    The Avengers is the best and most amazing movie I have ever seen! It has the perfect balance between humor, action, and drama. It is a must see for everyone, even those who aren't really into comic books. My mom went to go see it and even she said she loved it. GO SEE IT NOW!
    Monkey out.
  74. May 7, 2012
    The best of the Marvel Superhero movies so far. The movie does a great job giving each guy a good moment. It's nice to see this movie FINALLY come together and be really good.
  75. May 7, 2012
    This movie is the very definition of the word Blockbuster. It is the most fun I have had at the movies in a long time. The action was great. The movies was funny and moved at a brisk pace. Nuf said.
  76. May 7, 2012
    i went to watch avengers with not very high hopes as getting 6-7 marvel characters in a single movies seemed like a perfect recipe for disaster at that time. but was i surprised big time and i mean big time!!. its better than iron man 1-2, captain america and both the hulk movies. this is by far the best comic to big screen adaptation and is in the same league as the batman reboot and the 1st transformer movie (part 2 and 3 were very big train wrecks). a must watch for anyone who like supeheroes beating the crap out of everything................... Expand
  77. May 7, 2012
    Best movie I've seen so far out of 2012, with spectacular effects and all of my favorite Marvel characters clashing together. Oh lawd, this was a great movie.
  78. May 7, 2012
    Marvel's The Avengers is what the stuff of true blockbusters are made of. Usually with superhero movies, only a few of them truly transend the genre to new levels. But with Avengers, the film itself UPLIFTS the genre to new levels.This is a movie you don't want to miss. Go see it. Now.
  79. May 6, 2012
    The story wasn't elite but it didn't need to be. The story to me was better than I expected and the action scenes didn't disappoint. The thing that impressed me about this movie more than anything else is how seemlessly the characters interacted. The characters never lost sight of who they were the whole movie, and the script did an excellent job at having them interact with each other exactly how I thought they would interact. No hero stole the movie and none were snubbed, they all got even air time and they all flashed their powers. I saw this movie twice opening weekend, it was that good. Expand
  80. May 6, 2012
    I had been waiting to see this movie since I first heard about it. So, I decided to go see it with a friend on opening night. I was expecting it to be a good movie. Well, it exceeded my expectations, because it was flat out AMAZING! I especially enjoyed Mark Ruffalo, who I never thought was all that great of an actor, as the Incredible Hulk. Plus, the special effects and action sequences were top-notch. What I really loved was the fact that they allowed the characters to be more than just your standard superheroes. Normally, I confess, when I see a fight in one of these movies, I just casually think "yeah...he's gonna win this one." But, with The Avengers, I felt as though I were in the middle of the fight, cheering them on. So, if you want a good movie, you seriously can't do better than this. I highly recommend it. Expand
  81. May 6, 2012
    One of the best films I've seen in a good while. Marvel fans and movie goers will enjoy the action, cunning special effects and the wit. I had such a great time watching the film and I believe the entire audience felt the same way. 10 out of 10 a must see.
  82. May 6, 2012
    This is an example of how superhero movie should be done. The material is treated with respect. It is not changed around to match some writer's prideful personal vision of how the material should been done from the beginning. Fans of the material and the characters will be very pleased and will rate this a perfect 10. I rate it 9 because the story and the villain is a bit of a tired concept. Not perfect. Nonetheless, the villain is very well done and played by Tom Hiddleston. Regular movie-goers unaware of the source material should greatly enjoy it, as it is very good movie overall. Expand
  83. May 6, 2012
    Wow was I wrong!!! Very good movie!!!!!!!!! Great action all the way through!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was also full of numerous funny moments. Go see it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  84. May 6, 2012
    A simply magnificent movie. Perfect blending of story and action, screen never feels overcrowded with action ( such as in transformers) Some of the funniest scenes I've seen in a movie in years. The unbelievably low rating average is from pompous critics who almost certainly decided not to like the movie well before they saw it. If you THINK you will like it, you will love it. If you think you wont like it, you will, and if you think you will hate it, well you are probably an ass anyway. Expand
  85. May 6, 2012
    One of the few movies that lives up to the hype and actually manages to exceed it in almost every way. All the actors deserve major props. RDJ continues to make tony stark a compelling character. Cap and Thor both do great with their roles. Scarlett Johansson has never impressed me with her acting chops (she has in other ways though), but she does a great job with the character she is given. Jeremy Renner is unsurprisingly badass as Hawkeye as well. Tom Hiddleston plays the slimy bastard that is Loki so well that it makes sense a team of heroes would be necessary. The scene stealer is the Hulk, whether he is "the other guy" or not. Awesome job by Mark Ruffalo and unexpected by me and many others for sure. However, the biggest reason the movie works is because of Joss Whedon. Never seen much of his work but he really shows his skill with dialogue, jokes, character arcs, and especially female characters. The action was the best I have ever seen. Imagine Transformers if it had characters you care about and a story that made sense. The acting and action were probably expected by all of us, but my worries were with the pacing and how all of the characters would get their due. The pacing was perfect and I wouldnt have complained if the movie was 3 hours long. Whedon confirmed there are 30 minutes of deleted scenes, I hope he changes his mind and one day releases the 3 hour film. As for the characters, they physically fight only within the confines of the story. I was nervous their interactions would be forced, but Whedon does a great job of keeping them related to the story. The comedy in Iron Man 2 really threw off the serious aspects of the story, but somehow the comedy flows within the story so that when the story is serious, you feel that as well. Not an easy achievement by any means. While TDKR will certainly be the better overall film (at least it looks that way), The Avengers is the more fun film and a film that you will never get sick of. What a great summer for comic book fans, and movie fans in general. Chances are you have seen The Avengers (just broke all time domestic record), so nothing i say will matter anyway. An instant classic and one of my favorites. Expand
  86. May 6, 2012
    I finally got to see this in theaters.....IT WAS F*CKING AWESOME! I am a huge fan of the Avengers, when I first heard their making a movie, I was psyched yet a little worried. I went to my movie theater, and it was PACT, it was crowded with a line from the entrance to the parking lot. It was hard for me to see it b/c it's always sold out. Well, I finally got to see it, and it was so cool I'm definitely gonna see it again. The action scenes are incredible and was fantastic to see my favorite superhero's teaming up all in 1 movie. I don't care if people criticize this saying it's a kids movie, which it's obviously not. I'm surprised about the humor to this film, it actually had pretty funny scenes. The casting was incredible, the action scenes are unbelievable, pretty much everything about this movie was great. People who hate this movie are living under a rock or one of those people that love to nitpick and rant about stupid sh*t that nobody cares about. I know it's based on people's opinion, but seriously, how can you hate this movie when theirs nothing wrong with it? This is an awesome movie, I would like to say that this hits my Top Favorite Movies of All Time. BEST MOVIE OF 2012! Expand
  87. May 6, 2012
    It was pretty damn good, haha. I didn't walk in expecting a good movie honestly, I thought it would be an over the top silly... I don't know. All I know is it was a great movie.
  88. May 6, 2012
    I'm really glad how this turned out. I thought that it would take itself way too seriously, but it had some of the greatest jokes and one liners at the most dramatic moments that weren't completely inappropriate. If u have the money, go see this movie because it's a blast of fun from start too finish
  89. May 6, 2012
    To put it simply. Brilliant. we get to see development of characters in other movies like Thor and Stark. And a interesting combo of attitudes and egos within the avengers group, and allows the character to become more established. The movie is humorous, the action engaging and thrilling. In all you will come to the end of the movie and be think that was money well spent. It has to be one of the best movies I've seen so far this year. Expand
  90. May 6, 2012
    Joss Whedon's action packed Marvel adventure The Avengers is a success in almost every way possible. With such a big cast and many important characters, juggling them all would be something hard to accomplish, making sure they all get their screen time and we get to see their point of view, but for Joss, making such movies to their fullest potential seems to be in his nature. The best part about The Avengers is that Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.), Thor (Chris Hemsworth), Captain America (Chris Evans), Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner), Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) and Loki (Tom Hiddleston) are all apart of this one (very best) Marvel blockbuster. Each with their own unique introduction (and all giving exceptional performances), you get the chills every time one is introduced and they continue throughout the movie. The Avengers initiative was something introduced to us in Iron Man 2 with our first look at Black Widow and Nick Fury, director of S.H.I.E.L.D., but it wasn't something ever forced until needed. Now that Loki, the god of mischief (brother of Thor, god of thunder) made Nick Fury very desperate, he has no choice to to initiate The Avengers. What brings Loki back? He still doesn't sit well with his adoptive bother having all of his glory with being king of Asgard and plans to destroy the world by stealing the Tesseract (a cosmic cube that can open to portal from planet to planet) and with his army of aliens.

The Avengers is taken at a steady pace, focusing on the heroes themselves and their relationships with each other developing (they don't like one another at first). While this goes on with the most necessary humor (I'm not being sarcastic) and some action between them we learn more about how Loki's plan is working with getting captured and unleashing his army and how The Avengers work together.

From beginning to end The Avengers is one of the most successful action packed comic book adaptations ever. You couldn't ask for more with everything it serves to fans of all ages. The visual effects are great as expected, and the action is the best I've seen. This was also the first time I could say that the Hulk was portrayed successfully in a way I'm sure almost everyone enjoyed.
  91. May 6, 2012
    Anyone who doesn't like this movie needs to get their head out from between their cheeks and re-evaluate their life.
  92. May 6, 2012
    THIS IS PROBABLY MY FAVORITE MARVEL MOVIE NOW!!! The action is fast paced and well executed. I have always wanted to see all of the famous marvel characters come together so this was a treat. This is the start of Whedon's career.
  93. May 6, 2012
    i left the theater in awe. it's the first time i've ever wanted to rewatch a movie right away. while the plot of the villain was pretty standard, seeing these heroes together and how they interact was perfect. highly recommended.
  94. May 6, 2012
    I am having trouble thinking of a movie I have ever enjoyed more. I am not having much luck though. I cant recommend this movie enough. Can't wait to see it again.
  95. May 6, 2012
    "The Avengers" (2012) is the newest film from Marvel Studios / Disney Studios with the classic superheroes, directed by Joss Whedon (from TV series "Buffy The Vampire Slayer") and starring multiple characters from other movies, together, for the first time: Robert Downey Jr. (Tony Stark/Iron Man), Chris Evans (Steve Rogers/Captain America), Mark Ruffalo (Bruce Banner/The Hulk), Chris Hemsworth (Thor), Scarlett Johansson (Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow), Jeremy Renner (Clint Barton/Hawkeye), Tom Hiddleston (Loki) and Samuel L. Jackson (Nick Fury).

The film follows the ending hook given after the credits of "Thor" in 2011 (just a note, there is also one in this movie, but before the credits, for a sequence of Avengers), with the cube Tesseract of "Captain America" â
  96. May 6, 2012
    Marvel had their work cut out for them with this film and they delivered in a spectacular fashion! It was not going to be easy to create this super hero squad and throw it up on the big screen. But they pulled it off! All of the cast was great with a surprising performance from Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk. In fact Joss Whedon managed to make me a Hulk fan after this movie. This movie is nothing short of a blockbuster and a hell of ride! A must see for this summer! Expand
  97. May 6, 2012
    The only way you will not enjoy this movie is if you already don't want to. It is everything an action movie should be. Each member of the Avengers fills their roll perfectly, saving the best parts of the movie for when they finally come together as a team. The excitement that sprouts very early on grows and grows throughout the story and flowers beautifully at the very end. This is a movie I thought would be "just okay". It completely demolished my expectations. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    May 8, 2012
    The banter has zip, the effects are fun, the climactic battle is decently spectacular, and if the 3-D is mostly expendable, there are a few scenes where it adds a nice kick.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    May 4, 2012
    This mania is what Marvel followers have hungered for, and it would be fruitless to deny their delight. As Loki says to a crowd of earthlings, "It is the unspoken truth of humanity that you crave subjugation." We do, Master, we do.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    May 4, 2012
    They're fascinating characters, to be sure, with back stories ripe for development. But Whedon doesn't commit here, and the results are shrug-worthy.