8.0

1. May 1, 2015
    Superhero movies don't come any bigger than The Avengers. Joss Whedon delivers the must-see blockbuster for any serious Marvel Comcs fan. It offers enough memorable characters, sharp dialogue, spectacular special effects and impressive action to ensure multiple viewings.
  2. Jun 1, 2014
    The Avengers is directed by Joss Whedon. It is about many Marvel comic superheroes having to join forces to fight against evil. Thor, Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man, Hawkeye, and Black Widow must work together to fight against Thor’s adopted brother, Loki, and his army. Thor affects the story by having sympathy towards Loki. No one could just kill Loki because of his relationship withThe Avengers is directed by Joss Whedon. It is about many Marvel comic superheroes having to join forces to fight against evil. Thor, Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man, Hawkeye, and Black Widow must work together to fight against Thor’s adopted brother, Loki, and his army. Thor affects the story by having sympathy towards Loki. No one could just kill Loki because of his relationship with Thor. Captain America always wanted to have a plan of what to do. He is “old-school” compared to the other heroes, but changes the story by coming up with plans that were best for his team. The Hulk is the “muscle” out of the group. He helped teach the other heroes the art of self-control which affected what the others did in the film. Iron man was the most confident out of the group. His confidence played mind games with Loki, which poked holes into his evil plan. Hawkeye came later in the movie after being possessed by Loki and made part of his army. After being saved, Hawkeye wanted revenge against Loki for possessing him, which made Hawkeye more focused and accurate in battle. It changed the film by adding another member to the Avenger team to help defeat Loki’s army. Black Widow is an elite trained, Russian spy. She affected the movie by adding a female to the team, which made it more interesting and diverse. Thor’s adopted, younger brother, Loki, is the reason the superheroes must join forces. Loki’s character creates the plot for the story to take place.
    One of the themes for this work is that teamwork is harder than it appears. All these characters have their separate lives, towns, and villains to fight. They’ve single handedly defeated their opponents and have been praised for it. They have never had to work together with someone as equally powerful as themselves to defeat evil. Bringing independent personalities together makes this theme effective. Their independence makes it harder for them to work together. The team must learn to acknowledge their individual skills and compromise with each other throughout the film to be successful. This main idea is different and groundbreaking. Bringing together superheroes from separate stories and combining them into one unstoppable team is mind blowing. It changes all their stories to impact where they can know each other, and maybe even appear in each other’s separate movies. It creates a bridge between all of them and their lives.
    Some amusing quotes that stood out to me were:
    Captain America: “Hulk… smash.” Captain America said this when directing everyone on what to do and where to go. Captain American believed in having a plan and also using what skills you have to offer. This is my favorite quote because the Hulk always screams it in his other movies and it made me laugh.
    Loki: “I have an Army!”
    Iron Man: “We have a Hulk.” Iron Man was trying to be witty and play with Loki’s mind. This quote showed that Iron Man admired the Hulk’s strength and displayed his confidence in his team and its members.
    The film appealed to me in an emotional way, because it made me root for the good guys to win and defeat evil to save the world once again. The team uses all their powers to save the world threatened by Loki.
    The movie is rated a 9 because it was action-packed with the characters displaying many different personalities. The good guys win in the end, but the plot was slow in some parts of the story.
  3. Aug 3, 2014
    Probably the most fun you will ever have watching a film, The Avengers is one on the list along with The Dark Knight as one of the best superhero movies out there. The film's characters are absolutely great, the action is amazing, and the film has enough humor to have you laugh more than a few times. The only downside is that the story isn't too much and isn't very memorable. Besides that,Probably the most fun you will ever have watching a film, The Avengers is one on the list along with The Dark Knight as one of the best superhero movies out there. The film's characters are absolutely great, the action is amazing, and the film has enough humor to have you laugh more than a few times. The only downside is that the story isn't too much and isn't very memorable. Besides that, the films grabs your favorite superheroes to make one of the best action movies you will ever see. Expand
  4. Aug 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Avengers did exactly what it supposed to.. lay down the foundation of what was the Avengers to movie audiences everywhere. We have chemistry from all our beloved superheroes, a charismatic villain and of course great action and humour.

Sure the story was average and cliched, and I can understand if people thought this was overrated/overhyped (especially since I was one of the person who used to bleat that, and probably still will depending on the context) but it's main strength was seeing the superheroes interract and nothing felt out of a character. When we see characters such as Captain America and Iron Man argue, it truly shows how different the superheroes are from each other and why such strong personalities conflict. They both come from different eras.

We see Captain America perform as leader in the climax well and Loki's manipulation. Black Widow and Nick Fury having more of a central role was done well, and you truly felt like tit was an Avengers Movie.

Joss Whedon did a superb job entangling these superheroes together and I cannot wait for the sequel.
  5. Dec 21, 2014
    Marvel 's Iconic superheroes assembles in one amazing Movie.The Avengers is a great film in general with amazing heroes and fantastic actors portraying with awesome visual effects,Good story and great character development.The Villain,Loki,is a great villain ,Tom Hiddleston did a great job portraying his character.The Avengers is a great summer blockbuster!
  6. Mar 9, 2015
    This movie was great! It was very well paced, comedic, and had a lot of action in it! Each character was developed nicely and everyone did a great job in their roll.
  7. Mar 11, 2015
    The Avengers is easily one of the best films I've seen in the past few years. I saw it with my friends for the midnight premiere and it was a total blast from start to finish. Joss Whedon really pulled out all the stops when it came to directing a movie as big as this, and it shows. The entire ensemble cast was pitch-perfect, the action sequences were incredibly immersive and highlyThe Avengers is easily one of the best films I've seen in the past few years. I saw it with my friends for the midnight premiere and it was a total blast from start to finish. Joss Whedon really pulled out all the stops when it came to directing a movie as big as this, and it shows. The entire ensemble cast was pitch-perfect, the action sequences were incredibly immersive and highly entertaining, and the dialogue was absolutely hilarious when it needed to be. I also loved the interactions between every one of the characters. Seeing them meet each other for the first time was both amazingly surreal and surprisingly realistic. Nearly everything from the score to the special effects to the comic timing just felt right. The Avengers is quite simply an experience that everyone should see. It just goes to show that Marvel is really stepping up their game, both commercially and creatively. Can't wait for the sequel! Expand
  8. Apr 24, 2015
    The movie was entertaining with great humour. Made me laugh a lot and good story line for the first avengers film. Wish if there where more characters in the team but its alright
  9. Oct 22, 2015
    This meeting of Marvel movie worlds makes for a satisfying and climactic battleground. The Avengers bursts with stunning combat visuals and memorable jokes while maintaining an enjoyable, suspenseful plot. Although one important actor has switched (Lou Ferrigno now as The Hulk) from the prequel films, Joss Whedon (director) still manages to pull off a beautiful, balanced infusion of theThis meeting of Marvel movie worlds makes for a satisfying and climactic battleground. The Avengers bursts with stunning combat visuals and memorable jokes while maintaining an enjoyable, suspenseful plot. Although one important actor has switched (Lou Ferrigno now as The Hulk) from the prequel films, Joss Whedon (director) still manages to pull off a beautiful, balanced infusion of the stars from each individual Avenger story. What ensues is the juxtaposition of modern urban warfare with cosmic weaponry and cosmic consequences. The Avengers is best watched after viewing Captain America and Iron Man (the other prequels are not up to standard). The Avengers is an iconic film for its revolutionary battle scenarios and its surprising humor. Expand
  10. Nov 2, 2015
    If you want too see Marvel's greatest superheroes come together and kick ass, then this is the movie for you. The Avengers is a fun, explosive, entertaining movie that will leave fans happy when watching the movie.
  11. Jan 4, 2016
    Marvel's superhero team named the Avengers has came to the movies 3 years ago. Even now, it's still a fun blast during the entire movie. Maybe close or far enough to a 10, I gave it a 9.
  12. Mar 14, 2016
    WHAT I LIKE: 'The Avengers' defines the comic book movie. It's explosive, fun, action packed, pop-corn entertainment taken to the next level. The feeling of seeing the characters you love, interact for the first time can never be repeated. The confrontations, the jokes, the teamwork, it all feels so real. How? Well, the acting is class A stuff, but Whedon's direction here is nothing shortWHAT I LIKE: 'The Avengers' defines the comic book movie. It's explosive, fun, action packed, pop-corn entertainment taken to the next level. The feeling of seeing the characters you love, interact for the first time can never be repeated. The confrontations, the jokes, the teamwork, it all feels so real. How? Well, the acting is class A stuff, but Whedon's direction here is nothing short of amazing - it gives the movie heart. Really, it's a wonder it doesn't collapse under it's own weight. But but thanks to a mix of smart writing and exciting action it really, really doesn't; Whedon recognises the equal importance of some great scenes without all that fighting to ground the team dynamic and character relationships. So thankfully their dynamics are pegged perfectly, the tone of the humour and lightheartedness overall is well done, and the new characters are all great too. Oh, and that final action scene just makes it. Wow.
    WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Some bits are a teeny bit cringe-worthy if I'm honest like the goofy costumes, cheesy lines and the odd bit of bad CGI. But it arguably adds to it's ballsy comic book charm.
    VERDICT: It might not be flawless, but I haven't felt this way since Star Wars. It's monumental in how it makes you feel - proud, thrilled and downright happy.
  13. Mar 24, 2016
    While it has several plot holes, that should not stop anyone from watching this action packed adventure featuring our favourite marvel heroes joing together to kick ass.
  14. Feb 11, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The avengers is the long awaited movie where marvels greatest heroes join forces. Firstly, the cast is fantastic and this movie and they do a good job of making you like the characters. The plot is really great as well and possibly the most interesting in all of phase 1. The villain Loki is just as good and arguably cooler than he was in Thor and the CGI and the fight scenes were great. But the highlight of this movie has to be the Hulk. He was done 10 times better than in the incredible hulk, and Mark Ruffalo plays him better than Edward Norton. However despite me overloading with good things there are some problems too. First off, I didn't like how Hawkeye was written in this film, and it made it worse when he got hypnotized by Loki. Altogether The Avengers is a fantastic movie and is easily on terms with The Dark Knight on quality. Expand
  15. Feb 29, 2016
    This movie deserves high praise for being the first of it's kind (for the most part). What other movie had 4 set-up films developing the main character's backstory for one major super-hero team-up to decide the fate of the fictional world. Of course this movie's action is epic in all the right places and each hero gets there time to shine (once again, for the most part). While I do haveThis movie deserves high praise for being the first of it's kind (for the most part). What other movie had 4 set-up films developing the main character's backstory for one major super-hero team-up to decide the fate of the fictional world. Of course this movie's action is epic in all the right places and each hero gets there time to shine (once again, for the most part). While I do have minor gripes such as Captain America's costume looking silly and corny (unlike the other films he appears in) and Hawkeye's role in the film, this movie still delivers on each and every promise it made. We get to see interesting conflict between the famous heroes and see them throw-down side by side in very well done action set-pieces. One particular sequence deserves high praise, in which it pans through all the heroes fighting the aliens which threaten the planet, starting from Black Widow to Hawkeye to Captain America and Iron-Man and finally the mighty tag-team of Hulk and Thor. With a satisfying climaxending and a great performing cast, "Marvel's The Avengers" is very close to a masterpiece that does the comics acceptable justice. Expand
  16. Aug 23, 2016
    This movie definitely delivers on all its hype. The movie most people could only dream of as a kid, seeing their most iconic superheros come together to fight one big enemy. The story delivered in building every one of these heroes to put by their differences and join as one to save the world. Robert Downey Jr, Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth stand out as the shining starts of the movie.This movie definitely delivers on all its hype. The movie most people could only dream of as a kid, seeing their most iconic superheros come together to fight one big enemy. The story delivered in building every one of these heroes to put by their differences and join as one to save the world. Robert Downey Jr, Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth stand out as the shining starts of the movie. Tom Hiddlestone once again delivers a masterpiece of acting as the villain Loki. Everyone had their part in this movie to make sure the audience was at the edge of their seats when anyone of them was in action. Definitely one of the best superhero movies out there. Expand
  17. Jul 2, 2016
    This movie was great. It had a great script and the titular characters were awesome, one of the best superhero movies ever. It was funny and the fight scenes were incredible.
  18. May 15, 2012
    I'll keep this short and to the point. This movie is gratuitous fun. ...lot's of action, great special effects, a ridiculous plot, and some laughs. I am one of those people who hates when a movie doesn't take me seriously, especially when it's pretending to. This one doesn't pretend to, and was entertaining. This is one extreme of what the cinema was created for, and shame on you forI'll keep this short and to the point. This movie is gratuitous fun. ...lot's of action, great special effects, a ridiculous plot, and some laughs. I am one of those people who hates when a movie doesn't take me seriously, especially when it's pretending to. This one doesn't pretend to, and was entertaining. This is one extreme of what the cinema was created for, and shame on you for feeling bad about yourself for enjoying it. Expand
  19. May 12, 2012
    It lived up to the hype! Its still just a comic book action hero movie which is to say "shallow action flick" but I have to give it props for doing it extremely well. I, along with most of the other movie goers in our theater had several laugh out loud moments thanks to M.D. Jr.. The special effects were spectacular. I saw it in 3-D which is never my preference. It didn't feel contrived toIt lived up to the hype! Its still just a comic book action hero movie which is to say "shallow action flick" but I have to give it props for doing it extremely well. I, along with most of the other movie goers in our theater had several laugh out loud moments thanks to M.D. Jr.. The special effects were spectacular. I saw it in 3-D which is never my preference. It didn't feel contrived to exploit the 3-D effects, it just amplified the experience.
    Take the kids but leave the wife at home she'll hate it.
  20. May 22, 2012
    Would I rather a return to the great action adventures of decades ago based on semi original concepts? Of course. But I'll take this over the mindless crap thats out there right now any day. Avengers is funnier than literally every comedy Hollywood farts out these days then add a few insightful character scenes and some cool if not breezy action sequences. Really my only gripe here is howWould I rather a return to the great action adventures of decades ago based on semi original concepts? Of course. But I'll take this over the mindless crap thats out there right now any day. Avengers is funnier than literally every comedy Hollywood farts out these days then add a few insightful character scenes and some cool if not breezy action sequences. Really my only gripe here is how undramatic this thing was. Theres just nothing at stake. Sure the whole world is being fought for but we know who wins. Thor takes a thumb tack to the side. Everyone else comes out the war unscratched and they all eat some shwarma. I guess its more of a comedy than I even thought. Expand
  21. May 5, 2012
    The Avengers is about exactly what I expected it to be. A very well done superhero movie. It's by no means going to be nominated for any awards, but it was the perfect Friday night guilty pleasure. I went to see it with my 10 year old son. Even though I read the comics, and he didn't, he knew more about the characters than I did. I blame video games.
  22. May 9, 2012
    When the world is threatened with domination from beyond, a slew of Marvel superheroes (Iron Man, Hulk, Capt. America, Thor and more) is brought together to save the day. Before that can happen, we get some internal conflict and snappy dialogue by writer/director Joss Whedon. Finally, comes the big, noisy, kinda silly showdown: implausible on so many levels. Luckily, the cast is full ofWhen the world is threatened with domination from beyond, a slew of Marvel superheroes (Iron Man, Hulk, Capt. America, Thor and more) is brought together to save the day. Before that can happen, we get some internal conflict and snappy dialogue by writer/director Joss Whedon. Finally, comes the big, noisy, kinda silly showdown: implausible on so many levels. Luckily, the cast is full of quality actors, so most of the interaction works. This is a classic big-budget summer flick with spectacular scenarios and flashy effects. Not the best, but not the worst. NOTE: There are 2 post-credit scenes, so stay till the end for your money's worth. Expand
  23. May 5, 2012
    It did not help that the trailers spoiled several moments which really were great, but the start and middle were pretty plodding: we've had Captain America, Thor and 2 Iron Mans so we really did not need so much "assembly" time. Only the final scenes matched up to my expectations after reading so much ridiculous hype (and seeing the aformentioned trailers).

The Hulk's line is wonderful,

The Hulk's line is wonderful, but poorly delivered and 2 of the people who saw the film with me did not even catch it as a result.

There's also a lot of exposition completely missing: why was the Hulk a self-confessed untamed monster who actually tries to kill Black Widow but the NEXT time he "comes out" he's transformed into an entirely willing ally? Not just willing but intelligent enough to follow "orders" and constantly put himself in the right place at the right time ...
    There's nothing close to a hint as to why.
  24. Jul 20, 2012
    A very fun film, I enjoyed it a LOT. I can't express in words how fun it was. It's great, not much to really say... ummm except that maybe it will be pretty outdated in 20 years... This is the Batman 89 of Marvel. It's a very conventional team action movie but a very well made film as well.

★ ★ ★ ★ (was originally gonna post 3.5/5 but I really liked this film

★ ★ ★ ★ (was originally gonna post 3.5/5 but I really liked this film soo..... 4/5 for me :D)
  25. May 5, 2012
    This was such a risky movie, so many ways for this to fail given the premise. Instead we all came away satisfied and surprised at how good this movie actually was.
  26. May 4, 2012
    The best Avengers film that could have been made. Funny and fun, the characters pop like a comic book character on-screen should. Hoping for future installments of similar quality.
  27. May 5, 2012
    The Avengers is a fantastically exciting superhero extravaganza. The movie nails all of it's components right. The dialogue fizzes with pithy putdowns and roaring comebacks, the characters are all well defined (even the likes of new-comers Black Widow and Hawkeye) and the action scenes are exciting and easy to follow. Put simply, The Avengers is one of the funniest, most exciting comicThe Avengers is a fantastically exciting superhero extravaganza. The movie nails all of it's components right. The dialogue fizzes with pithy putdowns and roaring comebacks, the characters are all well defined (even the likes of new-comers Black Widow and Hawkeye) and the action scenes are exciting and easy to follow. Put simply, The Avengers is one of the funniest, most exciting comic book movies ever made. Expand
  28. May 24, 2012
    Why THE AVENGERS could easily become a huge success? I think even some of you could answer thiz question. Thiz movie is the culmination of Marvel hard work over the past couple of years. The lucky guy who was appointed to direct thiz movie is Joss Whedon. The director of S.H.I.E.L.D. Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) initiates the Avengers initiative by assembling all the super humans to saveWhy THE AVENGERS could easily become a huge success? I think even some of you could answer thiz question. Thiz movie is the culmination of Marvel hard work over the past couple of years. The lucky guy who was appointed to direct thiz movie is Joss Whedon. The director of S.H.I.E.L.D. Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) initiates the Avengers initiative by assembling all the super humans to save the world from the powerful evil Loki (Tom Hiddleston). The storyline is not as dynamic as I think it is, there was a time when the story is stuck and filled with unnecessary dialogue. The power of thiz movie obviously lies in its character interactions. Nick Fury is originally written as a white guy in the comic book but Samuel L. Jackson confidently steps in to play thiz character. Thiz is not the first time thiz has happened. It reminds me when Michael Clarke Duncan portrayed the overweight crime boss Kingpin in Ben Affleck DAREDEVIL (2003) and I am also so excited to see Laurence Fishburne as Clark Kent boss Perry White in upcoming Superman MAN OF STEEL (2013). However, in thiz case, I did not see Samuel L. Jackson became Nick Fury, instead it was Nick Fury became Samuel L. Jackson. But in the end, it was totally acceptable. Samuel L. Jackson is able to present a precise leadership aura to his Nick Fury character. Once again, I have to remind you, what made thiz movie so interesting is when these superheroes gather around and interact with each other. We can see The Duo Chris, Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth who successfully demonstrate their muscular bodies, just like in CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER (2011) and THOR (2011). Thiz is how superheroes should look like! The brand new figures in thiz movie are the master archer Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) and the elegant Agent Maria Hill (Cobie Smulders who is widely known in HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER {2005-present}). The other figures who have been introduced since IRON MAN 2 are the loyal Agent Phil Coulson (Clark Gregg) and the sexy heroine Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson). Surprisingly, Scarlett Johansson has a fairly large part in thiz movie. Wait a minute, on second thought, if you have Scar Jo in tight sexy latex suit, of course you will exploit it more. If we are talking about Iron Man, thiz is also one of the most interesting parts. It looks like Robert Downey Jr. have already fused into thiz Tony Stark character so deep, he can represent thiz self-centered character very well without any problem. But in thiz movie, the one who really becomes a scene stealer is the giant green rage monster named Hulk! Once again, it was the Hulk character, not exactly Dr. Bruce Banner or Mark Ruffalo but it was all of them in one. Some fresh and funny moments are obviously when Hulk is around. The most unfortunate thing is that they did not bring up the original founding team such as Ant-Man and The Wasp into the movie. In the end, I confidently can say Marvel Comics seems to be one step ahead from its competitor DC Comics so far. Recently, thiz movie has ruled the box office chart and it turns out to be the earth mightiest blockbuster movie. You know what that means, right? Oh yeah, the next Avengers movie will be coming soon. Maybe next time Marvel Studios will enrich their universe with the presence of other superheroes like Quicksilver, Black Panther, Vision, Doctor Strange, She-Hulk, Wolverine, even Spider-Man. Are you ready for another one?

Visit My Blog on JONNY MOVEE: http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  29. May 8, 2012
    Lives up to its hype? Maybe but my expectation is broke. I don't know, maybe it's difficult to these superheroes join as a team. But they're not even a team, they're time bomb. Intriguing dialogue, funny and big boom explosion, it's not best comic book movie but Joss Wheddon succeed bringing Marvel's most ambitious project so far. I don't understand what Loki's motive, even on Thor, ILives up to its hype? Maybe but my expectation is broke. I don't know, maybe it's difficult to these superheroes join as a team. But they're not even a team, they're time bomb. Intriguing dialogue, funny and big boom explosion, it's not best comic book movie but Joss Wheddon succeed bringing Marvel's most ambitious project so far. I don't understand what Loki's motive, even on Thor, I expect more reliable and crazier character like Ledger's Joker. Anyway, we want sequel. Expand
  30. Jan 3, 2014
    this film just works. each marvel hero is woven into the story seamlessly, and the script sparkles with their interplay. it is essentially a classic comic book movie so the story doesn't really hold up, but hell, it's damn entertaining and has some very funny moments.
  31. May 4, 2012
    I didn't go in expecting anything amazing, but hearing that Joss Whedon had both written AND directed it really got me excited (I had though he was only writing the script). This isn't a thinking man's movie, or an emotional roller coaster, it's an incredibly fun and solid action film. Where Michael Bay consistently gets it wrong, Joss Whedon has gotten it right: Build up a good littleI didn't go in expecting anything amazing, but hearing that Joss Whedon had both written AND directed it really got me excited (I had though he was only writing the script). This isn't a thinking man's movie, or an emotional roller coaster, it's an incredibly fun and solid action film. Where Michael Bay consistently gets it wrong, Joss Whedon has gotten it right: Build up a good little story, but nothing too complicated. Build up some genuinely likeable and fleshed out characters, but nothing too complex or distracting. Mix in equal parts humour and brilliant action, and voila, you have a recipe for the perfect summer flick. This is by far one of the best of the light-hearted super hero movies. I'd put it right up there with the first Iron Man and the original Superman. Go see it (and Cabin In The Woods!). Expand
  32. May 4, 2012
    Joss Whedon's Avengers is a funny, engaging and thrilling movie that stays true to the characters established in the previous Marvel movies. Great chemistry exists between the leads and you can tell they had a blast filming it. The story is a little too simplistic but other than that this movie is firing on all cylinders. What separates this from so many other superhero movies is that TheJoss Whedon's Avengers is a funny, engaging and thrilling movie that stays true to the characters established in the previous Marvel movies. Great chemistry exists between the leads and you can tell they had a blast filming it. The story is a little too simplistic but other than that this movie is firing on all cylinders. What separates this from so many other superhero movies is that The Avengers has heart, the rarest thing of all in a Hollywood blockbuster and something that is impossible to fake. Expand
  33. May 5, 2012
    While this isn't a perfect movie, as far as the recent action focused superhero movies go it is the best of the bunch. Action, humor and small spots of drama come together with bits of fan service to make an enjoyable experience for long time fans of the comics and new viewers alike. Some of the dialogue and story feels rushed in places and you can tell some things were glossed over toWhile this isn't a perfect movie, as far as the recent action focused superhero movies go it is the best of the bunch. Action, humor and small spots of drama come together with bits of fan service to make an enjoyable experience for long time fans of the comics and new viewers alike. Some of the dialogue and story feels rushed in places and you can tell some things were glossed over to provide a smooth continuity but, at least with me, there weren't any large questions unanswered or things left hanging. In fact my biggest complaint would be that I had to see it in 3D because there was no other option, and as with every other 3D movie its too hard to see clearly when there's fact paced action going on or when there are close ups that take up a majority of the screen. Expand
  34. Aug 4, 2012
    Great movie, it's nice to have six movies (2 iron mans, 2 hulks, thor and capt. america) leading up to it, it will be fun to sit down and them all again , I hope Joss Whedon comes back for a couple more of these, it beats making amazing tv shows that get cancelled way to soon (looking at you fire fly, and dollhouse)
  35. Jun 15, 2012
    It's finally arrived - the blockbuster to end all blockbusters. So, is it any good? In short, yes it is. Over the last four years, Marvel has delivered a series of mostly underwhelming origin films that seemed to spend as much time setting up The Avengers as they did introducing the hero on the poster. Incredibly, Mr Whedon has managed to bring together all the Marvel big-hitters, playedIt's finally arrived - the blockbuster to end all blockbusters. So, is it any good? In short, yes it is. Over the last four years, Marvel has delivered a series of mostly underwhelming origin films that seemed to spend as much time setting up The Avengers as they did introducing the hero on the poster. Incredibly, Mr Whedon has managed to bring together all the Marvel big-hitters, played by some seriously big personalities, and somehow make it work as one film, with every character equally serviced and their place amongst this all-star roster well-earned. The highlight of the impressive cast is definitely Mark Ruffalo, playing the latest incarnation of Bruce Banner/The Hulk (though he's the first actor to truly play both sides of the character with the assistance of motion-capture). Whedon appears to truly understand the character, and Ruffalo is able to effectively communicate to the viewer through a sensitive and understated performance the extreme fear, paranoia and depression of Bruce Banner, and by really letting rip in his mo-cap suit he demonstrates the volatility and terrifying power of "the other guy". Robert Downey, Jr.'s wisecracking playboy Tony Stark/Iron Man continues to entertain, and Whedon gives Downey the very best lines in the film - my personal favourite being when Stark is trying to reign in the furious new arrival Thor (Chris Hemsworth) and mocks his flowing red cloak with "doth your mother know you weareth her drapes?". Scarlett Johansson also easily manages to hold her own in a largely testosterone-fuelled cast, and manages to develop Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow from the stereotypical sexy femme fatale we saw in Iron Man 2 to a fully-rounded, deadly and viciously intelligent character tormented by her violent past that we see here. The final act shows the true potential of a modern big-budget superhero film; with the six heroes working together to defend Manhattan from an alien invasion lead by the increasingly manic tyrannical Asgardian exile Loki (Tom Hiddleston). In one particularly slick and visually eye-popping moment the camera snakes its way through the city and in one unbroken shot takes in each of the Avengers in turn working as a team to repel the invaders. The most rewarding and enjoyable moments for me, however, were on a far smaller scale and from much earlier in the film. In one particularly fine scene from the first act, Black Widow travels to Calcutta to persuade reclusive Bruce Banner to join SHIELD forces as a consultant on gamma radiation, and the on-edge scientist feigns a transformation into his greener side to test Romanoff's true intentions. I also loved Black Widow's interrogation of Loki later in the film - the scene gives Johansson and Hiddleston plenty of room to play off each other and it's intelligently scripted, brilliantly tense and beautifully performed by the actors, resulting in an incredibly revealing moment for both of their characters. The Avengers is exactly what a great blockbuster should be - grounded enough to be relevant and dramatically effective in the contemporary world (with references to worldwide energy shortages, WMDs and the terrifying future of warfare) but also fantastical enough to be fun, and to provide a level of escapism for the audience (it is about a group of very special guys and gals in funny costumes fighting aliens, after all!). I must admit, the film does lose momentum a couple of times, and there are some incredibly convenient plot devices employed firstly to get the heroes together, and secondly to tie things up towards the end, but you can't really hold these minor gripes against a filmmaker like Joss Whedon. This is a man who has achieved the impossible in making Marvel's crowning glory worthy of the time and effort dedicated to laying its groundwork over the last half-decade, and with the addition of his trademark playful sense of humour, the film doesn't look like it's taking itself too seriously, which could have been fatal. Awesome is a criminally misapplied adjective in this day and age, but there really is no better way to describe this super-powered extravaganza. Unless Hulktastic is a word, that is. Expand
  36. Jan 22, 2013
    Considering the number of movies that came out this year, the Avengers stand near the top of the list. It balances the creation of the superheroes with the dynamic of peoples whom all would have such huge egos having to come together as a team. The comedy is amazing and creates that sense of distrust between the superheroes due to these egos. The invasion at the end is somewhat ruined byConsidering the number of movies that came out this year, the Avengers stand near the top of the list. It balances the creation of the superheroes with the dynamic of peoples whom all would have such huge egos having to come together as a team. The comedy is amazing and creates that sense of distrust between the superheroes due to these egos. The invasion at the end is somewhat ruined by the "Phantom menace Droid Army Syndrome" but beyond that was a solid movie. Expand
  37. May 13, 2012
    I kept hearing this movie sucked over and over, but it doesn't, in fact It's pretty good. The story had a good level of clarity and didn't do anything that contradicts the comics and other media too badly, the biggest complaint I have is the bad guys in the movie are a little lame.
  38. May 14, 2012
    When Iron Man or Hulk was on screen it was awesome. The only good actor was the guy who played Hawkeye.

Every time Captain America was on-screen it was painfully bad. It was good an bad at the same time.
  39. May 17, 2012
    I WENT TO SEE THE AVENGERS WED, AND HAVE TO SAY I WAS THRILLED TO SEE IT. I WAS EXPECTING MORE ACTION THROUGHOUT THEWHOLE MOVIE,FROM START TO FINSH AND I DIDNT GET THAT.SO THAT WAS 1 DOWNER FOR ME.THE CHARACTERS WERE AWSEOME AND SO WERE THE EFFECTS, THE STORYLINE WAS KIND OF LAME.THEIR WERE PARTS THEY TRIED TO MAKE FUNNY AND WERENT.BUT I DID GET MY MONEYS WORTH. I THINK IT NEEDEI WENT TO SEE THE AVENGERS WED, AND HAVE TO SAY I WAS THRILLED TO SEE IT. I WAS EXPECTING MORE ACTION THROUGHOUT THEWHOLE MOVIE,FROM START TO FINSH AND I DIDNT GET THAT.SO THAT WAS 1 DOWNER FOR ME.THE CHARACTERS WERE AWSEOME AND SO WERE THE EFFECTS, THE STORYLINE WAS KIND OF LAME.THEIR WERE PARTS THEY TRIED TO MAKE FUNNY AND WERENT.BUT I DID GET MY MONEYS WORTH. I THINK IT NEEDE SOMETHING-LIKE MAYBE WOLVERINE,SPIDERMAN,THEY ARE AVENGERS ALSO...WELL NEWER AVENGERS..I WOULD OF LIKE TO SEE MORE ACTION, MORE SUPER POWER TEAMWORK LIKE IN THE GAME ULTIMATE ALIANCE.IT IS A GOOD MOVIE TO TAKE YOUR KIDS TO SEE AND YOUR WIFE. Expand
  40. May 9, 2012
    Be a hero and save America by seeing this movie. Best Marvel movie so far. There were some cheesy scenes but what do you expect? Its a comic book movie and not a graphic novel.
  41. May 9, 2012
    This was one hell of a difficult movie to pull-off; all those characters together makes it near impossible to create a cohesive story....well this movie made the impossible. We all thought that this was going to be Iron man 3 but the whole story is surprisingly balanced. Its not just balanced between all the characters but there is also balance in the action, comedy, drama and suspense.This was one hell of a difficult movie to pull-off; all those characters together makes it near impossible to create a cohesive story....well this movie made the impossible. We all thought that this was going to be Iron man 3 but the whole story is surprisingly balanced. Its not just balanced between all the characters but there is also balance in the action, comedy, drama and suspense. There's also a piece of the pie for the SHIELD agents, fury, widow and hawkeye all get great characters to play with. But the greatest of all is Phil Coulson he steals every scene he's in practically. Every piece of the plot piece is stitched together into this coherent and utterly mind blowing story. Obviously, the avengers needed a great villain and Loki is perfect for the job. The only real complaint is that the army that Loki allies himself with are not that up to standard... OK they have guns and a huge serpent/fish thing but they're nothing special. There isn't that CGI to match transformers, but hey its much more better that there is nothing similiar between the two. Expand
  42. May 21, 2012
    This is a fun, epic superhero movie. If you watch this movie in theater, you'll absolutely have a blast. For a full review, search up the user "TNShowbiz" on YouTube, and check out my review on The Avengers.
  43. May 15, 2012
    Digital Money Maker

This is the crash! Bang! Wallop! movie of the year. It's digital, it's funny, it's stupid and it's in 3D -the first must see, post Avatar. Only if you don't know who each character is, or haven't seen their movies, you may be at a loss to follow (as if that matters). Loki (see Thor) has made a deal to get revenge on Thor and the Earth (of course) by getting some
    Digital Money Maker

Loki (see Thor) has made a deal to get revenge on Thor and the Earth (of course) by getting some ridiculous source of power to some very bad aliens. All of the Marvel heroes - flawed heroes all - have to first unite, then trounce the invaders. And they do and you know they will.

The script is way above average for this kind of film - think Iron Man witty. The cast is top notch - especially Mark Ruffolo (Hulk), Downey (Iron Man) and the redoubtable Samuel L. Jackson as the team leader (Fury). No doubt, Jackson has replaced Morgan Freeman as the black American god who can do no wrong. The effects are as good as they get, as long as you can focus your eyes. It is often like putting your head in a washing machine with 3D glasses on.

Joss Whedon wrote, directed and probably gave birth to this film all on his own, and he makes a good fist of it. Despite it's enormous length - 147 minutes of popcorn chomping, it keeps your attention and never takes itself too seriously. I only wish that poor Jeremy Renner (Hawkeye) will take a serious part next - you know, like in Hurt Locker and the Town - to balance his all action man roles.

This film cost a fortune and will make a fortune. Trust me
  44. May 12, 2012
    Well designed characters, good acting, nicely balanced humour and very good visual aspect sum up to make of this film a very enjoyable movie, even for those who like me are not particularly fond of superheroes.
  45. May 19, 2012
    I've always been a fan of Joss Whedon ever since I saw Firefly, a television show of his that was unfortunately canceled. So when I say I liked it, that's not much of a surprise. But I didn't like it just because he directed it. The action was stylish and fun, and it was a whole lot better than one of the previous Marvel comic book movies, Thor. This should be the inspiration for laterI've always been a fan of Joss Whedon ever since I saw Firefly, a television show of his that was unfortunately canceled. So when I say I liked it, that's not much of a surprise. But I didn't like it just because he directed it. The action was stylish and fun, and it was a whole lot better than one of the previous Marvel comic book movies, Thor. This should be the inspiration for later Marvel movies, along with the new Captain America: The First Avenger. Not only did it have some excellent action scenes, it was also humorous, with a certain level of seriousness. Would I recommend heading to theaters to see it? Well, yeah. But if you're a person that just isn't sure about it, or who maybe isn't a fan of the comics, by all means, rent it from Redbox, Blockbuster, Netflix, or any other movie rental company you go to. Expand
  46. Zal
    Dec 14, 2012
    Well, it's The Avengers. I shouldn't have to say more. But I will.

I haven't seen the superhero movies leading up to this. I've only seen the Hulk sequel (the Edward Norton one), Iron Man, and Thor. While there were times when I was lost, I could follow this movie's plot. I need to seen Iron Man 2 since it has Nick Fury and Black Widow. LOKI! I'm not one of those crazy obsessive Loki
    Well, it's The Avengers. I shouldn't have to say more. But I will.

LOKI! I'm not one of those crazy obsessive Loki fangirls, but I loved Loki in this movie. That being said, I still found it hilarious when the Hulk picked him up and slammed him around. Funniest part of the movie.

What's good about this movie is that it strikes a good balance between comedy and drama. Joss Whedon knows the Avengers don't need the Dark Knight treatment and wisely did not go that route. But wasn't unbelievably cartoony and silly either. It knew when to be serious and when to make the audience laugh.

The characters were fun and each actor played the role well. Hawkeye didn't get much to do but it it got Jeremy Renner in a tight outfit. Good enough for me! The newest addition to the cast was Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk. He fit the role unbelievably well. Makes sense since Ruffalo has proven time and again that he's a fantastic actor.

There isn't much else for me to say about this. See it if you haven't already.

One more thing: Coulson lives!
  47. Aug 28, 2012
    The intro is a little rough but the rest of the movie goes rather smoothly and it ends up a pretty good film and one that is definently worth watching. I enjoyed it.
  48. Aug 21, 2012
    This movie was amazing, anyone giving it less than a 5 is completely tasteless. This was exactly what it was supposed to be. A funny, action packed, special effect, comic book, nerdgasm. The story line was just enough to keep the storyline boys interested, it makes great use of the previous story lines well. It makes sure to stay true to the root of all the heros.
  49. May 8, 2012
    I won't say that I am a fan of the entire movie, but it certainly was the most intense and action packed superhero movie I have ever seen. I have never been so genuinely excited to partake in an adventure with heroes and villains before. I loved that the action was easy to watch, and the dialogue never truly became cheesy and cliche. The beginning could be a bit better, but the massiveI won't say that I am a fan of the entire movie, but it certainly was the most intense and action packed superhero movie I have ever seen. I have never been so genuinely excited to partake in an adventure with heroes and villains before. I loved that the action was easy to watch, and the dialogue never truly became cheesy and cliche. The beginning could be a bit better, but the massive battle for the last hour of the movie certainly makes up for its smaller mistakes. I loved the Hulk, Iron Man, and Black Widow. Great job, much better than I expected! Expand
  50. May 28, 2012
    This movie is pretty good even if your not a comic book fan. The story's plot is that Loki tries to become ruler of earth and uses the cube to do it. The acting is great, the camera shots are amazing, and the attention to detail is great. The way the play the roles of the hero's, villains, and even shield is great because they capture the personality of the comic book characters. They evenThis movie is pretty good even if your not a comic book fan. The story's plot is that Loki tries to become ruler of earth and uses the cube to do it. The acting is great, the camera shots are amazing, and the attention to detail is great. The way the play the roles of the hero's, villains, and even shield is great because they capture the personality of the comic book characters. They even throw in a few comedy in the movie so it doesn't feel like a non-stop action movie. If you know who the people are chances are that you'll enjoy the movie, but if you are lost you probably wont enjoy this movie Expand
  51. Jun 6, 2012
    Iron Man changed my expectations about how good superhero movies can be, still, I wasn't planning on watching this. However, with people making so much hype about I headed to the theater. The Avengers strongest element is it's action, all the battle scenes are great and are well paced. And the SPFX are spectacular to watch. As for the directing, you wont be disappointed as long as yourIron Man changed my expectations about how good superhero movies can be, still, I wasn't planning on watching this. However, with people making so much hype about I headed to the theater. The Avengers strongest element is it's action, all the battle scenes are great and are well paced. And the SPFX are spectacular to watch. As for the directing, you wont be disappointed as long as your not a cinephile. The cast performance are nothing special, I much rather see Mark Ruffalo in Shutter Island. Expand
  52. May 8, 2012
    Doomed, that's the first thing on your mind when you think about the Avengers. Joss Whedon is worshipped by his fans like a god, but his recent projects weren't that successful. The basic premise is very difficult to portray in a movie: how could you manage to give each character a decent amount of developement? Actors: how could you make this people interact with each other without primaDoomed, that's the first thing on your mind when you think about the Avengers. Joss Whedon is worshipped by his fans like a god, but his recent projects weren't that successful. The basic premise is very difficult to portray in a movie: how could you manage to give each character a decent amount of developement? Actors: how could you make this people interact with each other without prima donna dilemmas? Well I was surprisingly pleased to see this movie. You have to suspend your disbelief in order to enjoy it, we're talking about attractive people with ridicolous costumes with superpowers. Fortunately the dialogue is funny and interesting enough to give this characters a minimal amount of depth. Iron man is the star of the show, he could be charming even if he was shown buying toilet paper. I never heard of the Black widow before but she is a serious contender for spotlight - stealing. The others characters are okay, for me Thor was the least interesting character. The villain on the other hand, seemed interesting, I think a lot of his scenes were cut that would further analyzes his motives or his ideals. He is not the classical:"I am EVIL, I want to rule the world with my EVILNESS!", he has reasons. Action scenes were superb, very entertaining and fast paced. In the end I think this movie is for everyone: comic-book lovers and not nerdy people :). It may not be an historical turning point in storytelling, but I'm sure you'll leave the theatre satisfied. Expand
  53. May 11, 2012
    Best superhero movie in a long time! Exceeded my expecations. I was afraid theyde make some of the characters tacky, but it felt like they belonged. Ruffalo does an excellent Banner, after Norton i was pleasantly suprised. Just goes to show what Wheadon is capable of. Now the sequel better not be another revenge of the fallen milking i hope.
  54. May 28, 2012
    This movie would have been a perfect 10 if the editing had been better. It was well written, funny, action packed. Everything that it needed to be. I loved it for the most part. But there are certain parts of the movie that really just didnt need to be there. It forced it to drag on too long at points and made me kinda just wanna get to the end.
  55. Jan 9, 2013
    My main concern with The Avengers was, in encompassing all of the members, the film would be spread too thinly between the characters, resulting in a watered down attempt to integrate characters and personalities, a little like the X-men films. Thankfully this is not the case, although it's interesting that co-writer Zak Penn was involved in two of the X-men group films. Penn and JossMy main concern with The Avengers was, in encompassing all of the members, the film would be spread too thinly between the characters, resulting in a watered down attempt to integrate characters and personalities, a little like the X-men films. Thankfully this is not the case, although it's interesting that co-writer Zak Penn was involved in two of the X-men group films. Penn and Joss Whedon find enough screen-time for all the Avengers and by introducing them gradually through the film's opening third, sufficient emphasis is placed on each character. Similarly, I was disappointed when I discovered that the film's antagonist would be Loki, as I was not overly impressed with him in Thor. Again though, due to Hiddlestone's improved performance this time around and with Whedon's direction, I felt Loki was a much more interesting villain and one more fitting of the collective's film.

The team dynamic of between the superheroes is what really makes the film, alongside the blockbuster action sequences. Thor and Hulk clash, Captain America and Tony Stark routinely throw barbs at each other while Stark shows a surprisingly sincere side when offering support to Bruce Banner. Mark Ruffalo plays Banner with a sense of fear and regret of his destructive, uncontrollable power and I found him to be the most interesting character of the team. There's a slightly contrived back-story thrown in to give Hawkeye and Black Widow something of interest but its the funny moments between Stark and co. that gives the film its spark. Samuel. L. Jackson's brings his usual 'don't mess with me' cool factor and his larger role also benefits the movie. Being critical, I'm not sure the plot gave enough explanation as to why Banner returned to fight alongside the others after showing nothing but resistance to let 'the other guy' appear, or how he was able to control Hulk more effectively in contrast with the film's earlier events.

The so called Battle of New York finale is a really exciting well-directed battle, especially when you consider it's similarities to the frantic city battles Michael Bay treated us to in his Transformer films.

A genuine action blockbuster fit for it's cast.
  56. May 5, 2012
    very good movie. Cannot go wrong that's for sure. I give it an 8 because the story simply is not as good as super hero movies like batman. The action is really good and the effects are awesome. Definitely worth seeing.
  57. May 8, 2012
    Overall, one of my top 3 favorite superhero movies of all time (Along with the dark night and xmen: first class). A great real supervillan. Great acting by Robert Downey Jr., Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, and Scarlett Johanson. Some comedic scenes also made me laugh out loud at some points. Overall, a must see for any action fan.
  58. May 4, 2012
    Very fun movie to watch. This movie takes the wittiness from Iron Man and throws is into this movie. There really aren't any serious scenes. Everything is just ride filled with action and laughs. The reason this movie won't get anything higher than an 8 from me is because the movie can be too light-hearted for my liking. When the world is at stake and you have almost every scene endingVery fun movie to watch. This movie takes the wittiness from Iron Man and throws is into this movie. There really aren't any serious scenes. Everything is just ride filled with action and laughs. The reason this movie won't get anything higher than an 8 from me is because the movie can be too light-hearted for my liking. When the world is at stake and you have almost every scene ending with a funny line it get's to the point where this movie becomes more of a comedy than an action drama. It's the best Marvel film by far, but the fact that the plot is not very deep keeps it from being more than an 8. I much prefer the take Warner Bros. has taken with Batman because it is more true to life . But if you are a person that doesn't want a movie that takes itself too seriously then you'll enjoy The Avengers. Expand
  59. May 8, 2012
    Film is viewable only because of Robert Downey jr. and Mark Ruffalo. The other actors and their characters are look so childly. Also idea of combination a couple of comics' heroes is great working. Recommended for everyone who not sick of comics movies.
  60. May 11, 2012
    There is a lot to like about the avengers - it starts slowly but builds up to a genuine climax and the last 30 minutes are exhilarating at times. Its strengths centre around its humour and the banter between the key characters. What's a little disappointing is that amongst the range of opportunities for special effects there is little new to excite - perhaps special effects in movies haveThere is a lot to like about the avengers - it starts slowly but builds up to a genuine climax and the last 30 minutes are exhilarating at times. Its strengths centre around its humour and the banter between the key characters. What's a little disappointing is that amongst the range of opportunities for special effects there is little new to excite - perhaps special effects in movies have reached a plateau. Expand
  61. May 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I had medium expectations, having seen glowing reviews etc vs knowing the quality of "blockbusters" these days but I very much enjoyed this movie. It's a popcorn movie and it's a REALLY GOOD popcorn movie. Great to see Joss Whedon at the helm of something that's going to see him getting a decent run in hollywood in the future. Great dialogue, great visual gags, good fun. Expand
  62. May 23, 2012
    The movie was actually much better than anticipated.
    I didn't expect the story to go around 1 character and it didn't.
    Joss Whedon did a good job at bringing the cast together to deliver a great story.
    All I wish now is if he could add a bit more action sequence into the film and make it slightly more intense to improve the movie.
  63. May 24, 2012
    Efectos espectaculares y actuaciones decentes, fue lo unico que pude percebir en esta pelicula, ya que no maneja un guion con buenos argumentos, pues para empezar, ¿cual es realmente la relacion entre Loki y el ejercito extraterrestre?, es una de las cosas que nunca logre comprender. Las actuaciones son lo mas destacable, Mark Ruffalo hizo un gran trabajo interpretando aEfectos espectaculares y actuaciones decentes, fue lo unico que pude percebir en esta pelicula, ya que no maneja un guion con buenos argumentos, pues para empezar, ¿cual es realmente la relacion entre Loki y el ejercito extraterrestre?, es una de las cosas que nunca logre comprender. Las actuaciones son lo mas destacable, Mark Ruffalo hizo un gran trabajo interpretando a Bruce Banner, siempre dando una sensacion de humildad por parte de este personaje, eso hasta que se tranforma en Hulk. Thor, interpretado por Chris Hemsworth, finalmente le dio un toque mas maduro al personaje, justo como en los comics. Chris Evans nunca de los nunca me termino de convencer como el Capitan America, es un personaje que le queda GIGANTESCO, pero observe una mejora a comparacion de la película del personaje. Y creo que no hace falta decirlo, Robert Downey Jr. es brillante como Tony Stark. Yo les pongo un 8, esta puede ser la mejor película de Super heroes por el momento, hicieron un buen trabajo en el especto de las actuaciones, le toco a cada uno su pedacito de pan, osea, su momento de robar camara. Altamente recomendable, 143 minutos que vas a disfrutar. Expand
  64. May 28, 2012
    This movie is NOT an apology for the somewhat disappointing Captain America. It is just the next installment in the MARVEL Cinematic Universe that happens to have great line after great line, great performance after great performance, great hell of a wallop after great kick in the face, and it just happens to be all packed in a kickass, 2 hour movie that is excellent in EVERY way. Even ifThis movie is NOT an apology for the somewhat disappointing Captain America. It is just the next installment in the MARVEL Cinematic Universe that happens to have great line after great line, great performance after great performance, great hell of a wallop after great kick in the face, and it just happens to be all packed in a kickass, 2 hour movie that is excellent in EVERY way. Even if youâ Expand
  65. May 26, 2012
    The Avengers, a smart and very entertaining movie.
    Could be the best Marvel Studios movie, in my opinion: it is.
    The humor, action, effects, music are excellent. I thank Joss Whedon make a movie as epic as this. It is just as good as the Dark Knight? No, you need a little to reach the Nolan film. The story is good but not a big deal, but it is best to entertain you from beginning to end.
    The Avengers, a smart and very entertaining movie.
    Could be the best Marvel Studios movie, in my opinion: it is.
    The humor, action, effects, music are excellent.
    I thank Joss Whedon make a movie as epic as this. It is just as good as the Dark Knight? No, you need a little to reach the Nolan film. The story is good but not a big deal, but it is best to entertain you from beginning to end. The best superhero: Iron Man.
  66. May 29, 2012
    The Avengers gives the super hero movie world as a whole a much needed dose of "good" rather than the "meh" and "huh?" of recent offerings. Now it is a great movie, no doubt, but it can't stand on its own without the previous hero movies wich ranged from serviceable to bad. On its own, Avengers doesn't offer much in the long term like Titanic or Avatar which have enoyed long standing valueThe Avengers gives the super hero movie world as a whole a much needed dose of "good" rather than the "meh" and "huh?" of recent offerings. Now it is a great movie, no doubt, but it can't stand on its own without the previous hero movies wich ranged from serviceable to bad. On its own, Avengers doesn't offer much in the long term like Titanic or Avatar which have enoyed long standing value since their stories are self contained and much more focussed on the characters. Avengers assumes you know half of what has already happenned and the plot provides little exposition for anything that has occured in previous movies. So despite the lack of lasting appeal, The Avengers is still well written, action packed and fun enough to be worth admission. Expand
  67. Jun 2, 2012
    The awesome **** of explosions, jokes and badassery. Expertly directed, no heroes are deprived of screen time, each one has his own unique story. Mark Ruffalo's got a great debut as the Hulk, Robert Downey Jr. being even more funny and sarcastic than in the Iron Man movies, and Captain America doesn't annoy me as he usually does. (I don't like the character in general) There are some flawsThe awesome **** of explosions, jokes and badassery. Expertly directed, no heroes are deprived of screen time, each one has his own unique story. Mark Ruffalo's got a great debut as the Hulk, Robert Downey Jr. being even more funny and sarcastic than in the Iron Man movies, and Captain America doesn't annoy me as he usually does. (I don't like the character in general) There are some flaws though - Black Widow and Hawkeye feel a bit out of place (Pistols against armored aliens? That's only acceptable because of Johansson's body) and Loki just doesn't appeal to me as the main villain, especially the second time in a row. (after Thor)
    Overall, I'd say this movie is a bit overrated (With lots of fanboys screaming it's "the best movie ever"), but it is actually the exemplary superhero movie, exciting to watch and easy to forget.
  68. Jun 8, 2012
    This is almost a great film. Almost. The action sequences are pretty amazing, for so many super heros all in one film it hangs together very well, and there are a couple of genuinely funny lines and moments of drama. but it's still popcorn and the plot relies on unbelievable moments (even for super heros) and some annoying things like the hulks new found self-control. but, bearing in mindThis is almost a great film. Almost. The action sequences are pretty amazing, for so many super heros all in one film it hangs together very well, and there are a couple of genuinely funny lines and moments of drama. but it's still popcorn and the plot relies on unbelievable moments (even for super heros) and some annoying things like the hulks new found self-control. but, bearing in mind how trite capn america was, and the expensive but kinda unfulfilling thor... this coud have been rubbish, but is I reckon the second-best recent mainstream super hero movie, coming in behind the dark knight. Expand
  69. Jun 9, 2012
    Excellent film. Acting is brilliant. The middle section is a bit slow, however the ending makes up for it. Go see this film. Then go and watch the other Marvel films. Then watch this film again.
  70. Jun 12, 2012
    Now, I'll be honest with all of you. I wasn't really interested in watching this movie when it came out. But my friends invited me to come watch it so I tagged along, and was I glad I did. The movie was great, it was funny, but I will be honest, I felt the sorta middle of the movie was very boring, in fact I ended up falling asleep for a couple minutes because of it. Anyways I did enjoyNow, I'll be honest with all of you. I wasn't really interested in watching this movie when it came out. But my friends invited me to come watch it so I tagged along, and was I glad I did. The movie was great, it was funny, but I will be honest, I felt the sorta middle of the movie was very boring, in fact I ended up falling asleep for a couple minutes because of it. Anyways I did enjoy this movie towards the end, and I didn't expect the movie to actually be funny, I thought it was going to be a serious and aggressive movie, but I was wrong. I enjoyed this movie and I do recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good movie, and a good laugh! Expand
  71. Sep 30, 2012
    The Avengers is a fun summer blockbuster, as it should be. It's a movie that fulfills its purpose, it doesn't tries to be dark, like many films these days, its just a flick that blends comedy and action, and The Avengers does that perfectly.
  72. Jun 23, 2012
    Last night, someone made the comment to me that Whedon is surely on his way to becoming the next Christopher Nolan - someone who gets to play around with a camera, a couple million dollars and they
  73. Jul 17, 2012
    The long awaited The Avengers seeks out summer movie boredom and punches it in the face with humor, incredible talk-about-it-for-hours-later-with-your-teenage-friends action, and an infectious sense of fun. The visuals are spectacular, the characters are all given their shot at the spotlight, Joss Whedon proves to be a go-to director for big hollywood releases, and, well, basically it justThe long awaited The Avengers seeks out summer movie boredom and punches it in the face with humor, incredible talk-about-it-for-hours-later-with-your-teenage-friends action, and an infectious sense of fun. The visuals are spectacular, the characters are all given their shot at the spotlight, Joss Whedon proves to be a go-to director for big hollywood releases, and, well, basically it just defines the word 'awesome'. It doesn't really unearth any hidden truths about morality and justice (as opposed to other superhero films like The Dark Knight) and you pretty much will see every twist coming, but that is all blown away with its sheer grand scale and fanboy glee-filled moments. Go in with whatever expectations you have and you will probably leave happily. A perfect summer release and an overall great time at the movies. Expand
  74. Jan 12, 2013
    It's not every day a film comes along that has such an exciting, fast pace, but also has such a satisfactory, witty script, good actors, a genuinely slimy villain in the tradition of Basil Rathbone, and spectacular action sequences that do not go on and on, but thrill. Take the opportunity to watch this one. It's well worth the money.
  75. Jan 19, 2013
    I began watching this movie expecting something decent, but nothing too exceptional. However, it really was pretty good. I don't claim that the Avengers film was a brilliant piece of work, but it entertained me, and at the end of the day that's what I'm after.
  76. Sep 24, 2012
    This was a very nice movie for one and only reason. All those heroes from the action movies are all in one It's really to much to handle! The plot had some twists too although it was nothing we hadn't seen before. I enjoyed some humorous scenes too and also the conflict of the different characters in the group like iron man and captain america. To sum up this movie is a very entertainingThis was a very nice movie for one and only reason. All those heroes from the action movies are all in one It's really to much to handle! The plot had some twists too although it was nothing we hadn't seen before. I enjoyed some humorous scenes too and also the conflict of the different characters in the group like iron man and captain america. To sum up this movie is a very entertaining superhero movie, one of the best out there although it doesn't have that something to trully make it legendary! Expand
  77. Dec 25, 2012
    Hawkeye, Black Widow just doesn't fit right in the avengers, the threat which is beyond any well trained human abilities just cannot be mitigated with special bows and guns... don't see what these 2 have done that could not be done with any regular army soldier. I didn't like the ending they made it too easy, a LARGE invading army coming from another dimension with advanced weapons andHawkeye, Black Widow just doesn't fit right in the avengers, the threat which is beyond any well trained human abilities just cannot be mitigated with special bows and guns... don't see what these 2 have done that could not be done with any regular army soldier. I didn't like the ending they made it too easy, a LARGE invading army coming from another dimension with advanced weapons and technology should not be easily beaten, I want the avengers to win ofcourse but it should have been harder for them and the drama could have easily been harder (Loki is just weak for someone with his powers). Still I recommend the movie it is fun! Expand
  78. Dec 16, 2013
    The Avengers is definitely one extremely fun movie. It doesn't transcend the genre's storytelling limits like Nolan's Batman trilogy did, but the whole thing probably would have collapsed trying to do this anyways. Instead it smartly embraces the lunacy of comic books rather than try to reject it. This means that the film becomes a little to silly at times, but it also allows it to beThe Avengers is definitely one extremely fun movie. It doesn't transcend the genre's storytelling limits like Nolan's Batman trilogy did, but the whole thing probably would have collapsed trying to do this anyways. Instead it smartly embraces the lunacy of comic books rather than try to reject it. This means that the film becomes a little to silly at times, but it also allows it to be built from the ground up as a gigantic showcase for an array of very exciting action set pieces. It's definitely not a very deep or thought provoking film, but it's elevated well above the average explosion fest by its style, sense of fun, more than solid visual effects, and well established, albeit somewhat cartoony and overly flamboyant, characters. It's one of the most entertaining superhero movies out there. Expand
  79. Aug 24, 2013
    [8.2] It's by far the best Marvel movie since the original Iron Man movie, and just as much fun. Colorful characters, a likable cast, and outstanding production. There's not much I don't like about this movie.
  80. Jul 31, 2015
    High paced, pure superhero fun with enough kick-butt action to keep it genuinely hilarious, but still mind-bogglingly detailed without having it explained as a lot of superhero films fail to do today.
  81. Jun 6, 2013
    The story is based more on action than plot. That said, I wouldn't say the plot is bad, it's just not particularly strong. It overcomes that with great action sequences, passable acting (great in the cases of Robert Downey Jr. and Mark Ruffalo), and likable characters. It's a superhero movie, so don't expect anything in depth, but it is a fun movie.
  82. Jun 19, 2013
    The best action movie with superheroes. All the characters are well done and the plot is good. I liked the action scenes and i have to admit that i actually liked iron man and hulk in that film, who i don't really like them. Thumbs up for the avengers.The effects are well done too
  83. Jun 24, 2013
    Best Marvel film I've seen- and I've seen many (not that that means much to you reading this). It was overall a very good movie, funny, and yes, 'action-packed' but overall have a solid story line and well above average acting.
    It was such a comic book lover's Christmas Morning- filled to the brim with innuendo of past and future movies and comics.
    Well-enjoyed and overall... good.
  84. Jul 24, 2013
    This movie is brilliant from start to finish.The villan is perfect but so are the superheroes. The last battle is entertaining as well as enthralling.
  85. Jul 30, 2014
    The Avengers is an fantastic movie with great amount action and a wonderful story, and I'm especially amazed by the music and the special effects!

Another thing that's great about The Avengers is the opening scene, which truly is exiting and thrilling. I found this movie highly entertaining, because it's so damn good and unique, and it's packed with great actors and the movie overall is cool and touching. The negative thing about The Avengers is that the tempo is a little to slow at some places, but also that there are some scenes that's not so original, because some scenes looks like they might have taken from other movies (like Transformers). But except for that is The Avengers truly fascinating!

An amazing film from Marvel, but with to much slow scenes (and boring conversations).

The Avengers gets a 8.7/10
  86. Aug 24, 2013
    Enough action to go with the plot, which is remarkably sensible and it's pacing get's to the main point quickly. The depth of each characters personalities (especially those of Mark Ruffalo and Robert Downey Jr.) interrelate to create this energetic tone to the film. It's and eye popping extravaganza.
  87. Sep 20, 2013
    For the most part, the Avengers was solid, and it kept me entertained; which is the sole purpose, right? The star-studded cast was all there, ready to make a great action movie. Some parts even made me laugh, more than I expected. I like Colbie Smulders, who played Agent Maria Hill, since she plays Robin on How I Met Your Mother. But, I think we all have to admit, she didn't only get theFor the most part, the Avengers was solid, and it kept me entertained; which is the sole purpose, right? The star-studded cast was all there, ready to make a great action movie. Some parts even made me laugh, more than I expected. I like Colbie Smulders, who played Agent Maria Hill, since she plays Robin on How I Met Your Mother. But, I think we all have to admit, she didn't only get the part for her amazing acting talents. We all know she 's pretty. Expand
  88. Sep 21, 2013
    The Avengers is a solid effort to combine some very powerful heroes into a single storyline. There are some elements that aren't perfect, including an unusually irritating Tony Stark. Loki chews the scenery and lights up every scene he's in.
  89. Feb 16, 2014
    Since this genre is never my first choice, I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked and enjoyed "The Avengers". The film didn't aim for anything deep and ambiguous, it was just pure fun and enjoyment; a great blockbuster movie and a great superhero movie. The choreography in the action scenes was well stylized, cinematography was nice and clean, and the humor was witty and actuallySince this genre is never my first choice, I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked and enjoyed "The Avengers". The film didn't aim for anything deep and ambiguous, it was just pure fun and enjoyment; a great blockbuster movie and a great superhero movie. The choreography in the action scenes was well stylized, cinematography was nice and clean, and the humor was witty and actually humorous. I would recommend it to both Marvel fans and other people. Expand
  90. Mar 4, 2014
    A rather simple plot is elevated greatly by slick, stylish and witty dialogue and script. It's also worth noting that Whedon in a few scenes cleverly avoids contrivance, which seems to be a staple and almost a cliche nowadays for superhero movies. Overall, this films lives up to its hype and it's definitely up there for one of my favourite action movies.
  91. Apr 19, 2014
    I'll be the fist to admit that the plot was a little weak BUT! This is a fanboys wet dream. What I've been waiting years to witness! As a proud Marvel comics nerd, I never had any doubt in my mind about this one. Ever since Marvel Studios began it's journey making films in house, which started with Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk, it has been nothing but great. The room for creativeI'll be the fist to admit that the plot was a little weak BUT! This is a fanboys wet dream. What I've been waiting years to witness! As a proud Marvel comics nerd, I never had any doubt in my mind about this one. Ever since Marvel Studios began it's journey making films in house, which started with Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk, it has been nothing but great. The room for creative writing and directing is limitless. Mark Ruffalo delivers the best portrayal of Bruce Banner/ Hulk on film, PERIOD! The balanced screen time each of these crucial characters receives is flawlessly pulled off by Joss Whedon! What Marvel Studios has done with the cinematic universe has forever changed the course of film and has raised the bar pretty dang high. (Take note, Fox and WB/DC) There are enough laughs, action and emotional moments that will satisfy the casual moviegoers and fanboys alike. Expand
  92. May 11, 2015
    A very well done action movie that was explosive. One of the biggest box office hits of all time and I can see why. There's something in this movie for everyone great action and some good comedy elements in there as well. It did feel long at times and I do find that this film is over rated but it is still a very good watch
  93. Jun 3, 2014
    Directed by Joss Whedon, Marvel’s The Avengers is an action-packed movie. Although the back stories for each superhero are lengthy and make it hard-to-follow at times for those not well-versed with the classic Marvel comics, the plot line is entertaining and draws the viewer in, as if they are fighting alongside the heroes.
    The story begins with the Tesseract, a cube that provides energy
    The story begins with the Tesseract, a cube that provides energy that could be the energy source to power everything, being stolen from the S.H.I.E.L.D. agency, lead by Nick Fury, by Loki, Thor’s evil stepbrother. While the Tesseract is being stolen, Loki turns Hawkeye and the doctor into his “evil minions”. Desperate times call for desperate measures and Fury calls out to Iron Man, Hulk, Black Widow and Captain America. Thor joins later after trying to get Loki to give back the Tesseract on his own means. This combination of heroes leads to a lot of personality clashes and egotistical fighting. Will they defeat Loki and get back the Tesseract or will they continue to fight over trivial differences and allow the world to be destroyed?
    This movie has literary value and has a positive impact. Based on the comics, it brings superheroes back to the forefront since comics are not as popular as they once were. The elaborate character development throughout the comics and other movies makes the superheroes and villains dynamic and intriguing characters. They may be “super”, but they are more similar to “regular” people than is blatant. How can a person dislike a hero like Captain America who is a super soldier designed to give him a second chance and a future? Or the Hulk who tried to save someone else and got the full blast of radiation, which makes it impossible for him to hide the anger everyone keeps inside?
    Themes and motifs explode from the movie like the powerful blasts of the Tesseract itself. There is always the cliché good vs. evil struggle that all superhero movies showcase. The interesting combination of powerful personalities in the movie shows how people can put aside their differences and unite for a common goal, regardless of how big the differences may seem. Lastly, the motif of which superheroes are superior is present amidst the arguments. Some argue that superheroes like Thor who were “born that way” are the best, while the idea that anyone can be a superhero (like Iron Man who used his money and intelligence to make a super suit) are more inspiring. Then there are experimental superheroes like Captain America and “mistakes” like the Hulk (or Spider-man who is not in this movie).
    Overall, the movie is not my personal favorite, mostly because I was raised playing with Barbie’s instead of action figures so my lack of understanding got in the way of enjoying the movie. However, the movie is still very great for what it is, which is why I will give it an eight out of 10 rating.
  94. Aug 15, 2014
    All the adventure you could possibly ask for from a multitude of super heroes...even Harry Dean Stanton has a cameo..Loki is the stand out shine....Love him...
  95. Jan 4, 2015
    The avengers is probably Marvel's best movie. The effects were outstanding, the acting exceptional and the story line was humorous as well as serious. This movie would probably be better for comic book readers as they would have a sense of awe throughout the film, people who didn't really know about comics wouldn't understand all the terms and Easter eggs thus the experience wouldn't be so great.
  96. May 3, 2015
    I was afraid that not having seen any of the individual movies (yes, I am a tad ashamed) would pose a problem while watching 'The Avengers', but there really was no room for fear. 'The Avengers' were certainly a test for Marvel's Cinematic Universe, a test about whether they can pull such a movie (i.e. a blend of several before-released individual movies with an ensemble cast that acts asI was afraid that not having seen any of the individual movies (yes, I am a tad ashamed) would pose a problem while watching 'The Avengers', but there really was no room for fear. 'The Avengers' were certainly a test for Marvel's Cinematic Universe, a test about whether they can pull such a movie (i.e. a blend of several before-released individual movies with an ensemble cast that acts as the main character, rather than each of the individual heroes themselves), and it did not go unnoticed. But, despite the visibly pulled brake, 'The Avengers' were exceptionally fun. The chemistry between the cast members (although I was sad not to see Ed Norton) was absolutely brilliant and they actually elevated their individual roles from the earlier movies to a completely new level. The plot was more-less consistent and not the least boring, and it actually all of the future installments quite nicely. Also, the puns were great, the humor in general, actually and you really did enjoy those funny moments and replicas between all that **** scenes. What I also liked is that 'The Avengers' never tried to simulate any depth; it was meant to be a fun action movie with all those lovable superheroes fighting together, being awesome and trashing stuff in order to crush the bad guys - and it was. They never tried to be something they weren't and they certainly did a brilliant job.

Whether you like comics or not, whether you like Marvel or not, whether you like the Avengers or not - this is a movie you should (not to say must) see as it will surely satisfy your needs.
  97. Mar 18, 2015
    After the heights and experiencing seeing 'Iron Man' (2008), 'Iron Man 2' (2010), 'Thor' (2011) and 'Captain America: The First Avenger' (2011), you can imagine how much I wanted to see this movie.

I was not disappointed, pretty much everything that was in this movie was pretty much all I expected to see and I'm happy with that. 'The Avengers' focuses on Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson)

'The Avengers' focuses on Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) trying to cope with Loki (Tom Hiddleston) taking the tesseract and using it against the world. Loki makes allies Eric Selvig (Stellan Skarsgard) and Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) his two new muses. Fury decides that it's time to assemble some of earth's mightiest superheroes, The Avengers.

We see Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) reluctantly join as he thought that he could not qualify. Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) joins because he is a World War II veteran, so his inner self says that he has to save the world. We also see Bruce Banner (Mark Ruffalo) not hiding anymore after his little incidents.

We also see agents Natasha Romonoff (Scarlett Johansson) and Phil Coulson (Clark Gregg) return and convince each of the guys to try and stop Loki.

Obviously after the events in 'Thor' (2011), Thor (Chris Hemsworth) returns as he still has unfinished business with his brother Loki and what he plans to do with the tesseract.

This movie moves at such an entertaining pace and I have been waiting years to finally see it, four years to be specific, since the release of 'Iron Man' (2008), all I wanted to see is four Marvel heroes unite in their ultimate movie. Seeing this movie in the cinema back in 2012 was an absolute treat.

The action is pretty much similar to the "Transformers" movies, but they are cleaner and have purpose and style, unlike the ones in the "Transformers" franchise where it's just a technological mess and they were gimmicks.

Director Joss Whedon ('Buffy The Vampire Slayer' and 'Firefly') clearly respects the Marvel comics enough to make a coherent story and visually appealing action. I absolutely cannot wait for the anticipated 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' (2015), after seeing this, the Marvel universe is truly something amazing.
  98. Apr 12, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Avengers 2 is coming out soon so here are my opinions on the first movie. The story has Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, and the Hulk all teaming up to defeat Loki. Loki wants to destroy Earth because Thor sucks I guess his motives aren't really explained but whatever. My only real problem is the first 1/2 of the film has all the Avengers fighting and they are buddies the other 1/2. Loki isn't the best villain ever and as I said his motives aren't explained. There are a lot of good parts although!!! The CGI is good, I like how the different characters interact, and Black Widow is H-H-HOT!!! Except this movie has the most boring Marvel character I have ever seen: Hawkeye. I loved this movie and I think I'm gonna love the second one even more. 8/10. Black Widow Expand
  99. May 23, 2015
    The best super hero movie of all time? Not in my opinion but it's still one of the best. This movie is the story of how the Avengers first unite and it's made with good acting, superb CGI, and insane fight scenes. Whether you care for Marvel or not, this movie is worth a watch. If you do, though, you've surely already seen it. I give it an 8.5/10. I enjoyed it a lot but not as much asThe best super hero movie of all time? Not in my opinion but it's still one of the best. This movie is the story of how the Avengers first unite and it's made with good acting, superb CGI, and insane fight scenes. Whether you care for Marvel or not, this movie is worth a watch. If you do, though, you've surely already seen it. I give it an 8.5/10. I enjoyed it a lot but not as much as some. I mean, it definitely isn't as good as The Dark Knight but it's still a very good movie. Expand
  100. Dec 2, 2015
    The Avengers is the great superhero movie I've ever seen , seeing Nick Fury gathered the best Marvel superheroes , and see that quarry was removed , Iron Man , Captain America, Thor, Black Widow, Hawkeye , Hulk and of course , go movie eh !.

1. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    May 8, 2012
    The banter has zip, the effects are fun, the climactic battle is decently spectacular, and if the 3-D is mostly expendable, there are a few scenes where it adds a nice kick.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    May 4, 2012
    This mania is what Marvel followers have hungered for, and it would be fruitless to deny their delight. As Loki says to a crowd of earthlings, "It is the unspoken truth of humanity that you crave subjugation." We do, Master, we do.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    May 4, 2012
    They're fascinating characters, to be sure, with back stories ripe for development. But Whedon doesn't commit here, and the results are shrug-worthy.