7.9

1. May 20, 2012
    This kind of movie is for the young at heart and mind. Not that there's anything wrong with that-been there done that-it's just such a repetitive genre. Invincible people beat up on invincible people. No-one gets hurt- major damage to buildings though-and then they do it again. Hulk gets the best scenes and Iron Man gets the best lines. In the end after 1/3 of greater New York City isThis kind of movie is for the young at heart and mind. Not that there's anything wrong with that-been there done that-it's just such a repetitive genre. Invincible people beat up on invincible people. No-one gets hurt- major damage to buildings though-and then they do it again. Hulk gets the best scenes and Iron Man gets the best lines. In the end after 1/3 of greater New York City is demolished Mayor Bloomberg (or whoever in the future where Aircraft carriers fly) asks for Stimulus money from.......Odin? Expand
  2. Jan 17, 2013
    I obviously don't hold the popular opinion here, but to me this movie just didn't measure up. I've seen both Iron Man movies, Captain America, and many of the past Marvel movies including characters featured in this film, and I thought most if not all of them were better than this one. Maybe it's just that I've outgrown the more playful and mindlessly violent tone of these types of movies,I obviously don't hold the popular opinion here, but to me this movie just didn't measure up. I've seen both Iron Man movies, Captain America, and many of the past Marvel movies including characters featured in this film, and I thought most if not all of them were better than this one. Maybe it's just that I've outgrown the more playful and mindlessly violent tone of these types of movies, but to me the movie just felt childish and simplistic. I realize that in a way, it's a great triumph seeing this crazy symphony of classic Marvel characters clashing with enemies and sometimes themselves, which in a way makes it the perfect superhero movie, but it just doesn't seem to create the same type of captivation one would expect from such an ordeal. It just feels goofy and undeveloped in a sense, unfortunately. Expand
  3. Jan 3, 2013
    This is one of the most overrated movies I've seen this year. A weak and predictable plot masked by tons of action and great special effects. Limited character development also made it difficult to be invested in any of the characters. A waste of a good cast.
  4. Jun 10, 2012
    It is not good, but it isn't bad either. I don't like how according to the film no one died during the attack on New York. This film is nearly ruined because of that. I really do like Captain America though. I don't think that Chris Hemsworth is any good at playing Thor. I don't get the praise for the film, but maybe that's because I don't care about the comics and don't give a damn ifIt is not good, but it isn't bad either. I don't like how according to the film no one died during the attack on New York. This film is nearly ruined because of that. I really do like Captain America though. I don't think that Chris Hemsworth is any good at playing Thor. I don't get the praise for the film, but maybe that's because I don't care about the comics and don't give a damn if every moment is filled with some fan boy's dream. Look, all I want is a good film. Expand
  5. Oct 5, 2012
    Joss Whedon's widely influenced summer spectacular offers 130 minutes of popcorn-friendly fun, yet fails to deliver anything more than run-of-the-mill escapist entertainment. Tom Hiddleston is superb as Shakespearian villain Loki and Mark Ruffallo gives The Hulk some heart, yet the film's character development is minimal, its plot slow and formulaic, and its screenplay drizzled in gooeyJoss Whedon's widely influenced summer spectacular offers 130 minutes of popcorn-friendly fun, yet fails to deliver anything more than run-of-the-mill escapist entertainment. Tom Hiddleston is superb as Shakespearian villain Loki and Mark Ruffallo gives The Hulk some heart, yet the film's character development is minimal, its plot slow and formulaic, and its screenplay drizzled in gooey one-liners and excessive fanboy cream. Things pick up a little during the final act, but even a swooping, snarling Manhattan sky-battle isn't enough to save The Avengers from feeling bloated and underwhelming. Expand
  6. May 8, 2012
    I think that the movie was a bit slow at first but then picked up a bit near the end. I did not enjoy the movie as much as everyone told me I would. I thought it was very okay compared to the other superhero movies. Some of the jokes they made were funny, but others were very lame. I just think that they may have relied a little too much on the effects rather than the story. I did not feelI think that the movie was a bit slow at first but then picked up a bit near the end. I did not enjoy the movie as much as everyone told me I would. I thought it was very okay compared to the other superhero movies. Some of the jokes they made were funny, but others were very lame. I just think that they may have relied a little too much on the effects rather than the story. I did not feel attached to any of the characters. Perhaps the only character I felt was the most fun to watch was Bruce Banner who played the Hulk. They are all amazing superheroes individually, but I did not feel the chemistry between them as a team. Expand
  7. Jun 3, 2012
    The 3-D Is Amazing And Epic!
    We Want Somthing New Not Another Freaking Superhero Movie...
    THINK
  8. Jul 12, 2012
    This movie was very tasteless. There was not much of a story and when it started getting good it went right back down. I think it is just too many superheros for one movie. Many questions that came up for the things that just made nosense.
  9. Apr 17, 2013
    Why. Why is there support for a bland film such as this? I'm telling you, it's just not that good. The characters are virtually the same. None of them have any real interesting characteristics or attributes that grabbed my attention other than Samuel L. Jackson simply because he is Samuel L. Jackson. Robert Downey Jr. and the other Avengers all act at the same level of socialWhy. Why is there support for a bland film such as this? I'm telling you, it's just not that good. The characters are virtually the same. None of them have any real interesting characteristics or attributes that grabbed my attention other than Samuel L. Jackson simply because he is Samuel L. Jackson. Robert Downey Jr. and the other Avengers all act at the same level of social communication, but they jut have arguments in between to fool the audience that there is tension in the film. The villain is a laughable archetype in the movie, included with the most original lines such as "I will rule this world" and "The end of this world is nigh". 80% of the movie takes place on the airship with nothing to do but squabble and run into accidents. It's extremely boring, and the special effects and "classic comic lines" are not worth my time nor should they be worth anybody's. The Avengers does not deserve the praise it gets. Expand
  10. Dec 31, 2012
    This is a very silly movie that is Swiss-cheese full of holes. If your thing is Marvel comic books, and you really want to see eponymous figures from the various comics come together then... this is for you I guess (unless having heroes pointlessly bickering to create faux dramatic tension gets on your nerves).

Its got some spectacle I suppose. Silly spectacle that ultimately makes no

Its got some spectacle I suppose. Silly spectacle that ultimately makes no sense (flying, invisible aircraft carrier that is vulnerable when flying, typically doesn't bother engaging invisibility, has nuclear missiles but can only launch them... from other aircraft... Hell the entire carrier almost gets taken out by an... exploding arrow... Christ). Get drunk if you are going to try and watch this film - it really, really helps.
  11. Jul 19, 2013
    todos los superheroes serie una peliculas de 10.00. horas sin embargo solo accion no rellena el vacio de lo monotono no es merecida de grandes cosas como son cada uno de sus heroes
  12. Oct 6, 2013
    I had been waiting to watch this movie, as it looked cool enough. I mean; Iron Man, the Hulk, Captain America, Thor, Black Widow and Hawkeye teaming up to fight aliens? Awesome! Unfortunately, the first 45 minutes are kinda boring. I mean what good superhero movie starts with a pretty boring car chase and bland dialogue/scripts? I personally think it's pretty overrated. Cliched,I had been waiting to watch this movie, as it looked cool enough. I mean; Iron Man, the Hulk, Captain America, Thor, Black Widow and Hawkeye teaming up to fight aliens? Awesome! Unfortunately, the first 45 minutes are kinda boring. I mean what good superhero movie starts with a pretty boring car chase and bland dialogue/scripts? I personally think it's pretty overrated. Cliched, predictable and shallow. I liked Loki though and liked the superheros fighting aliens.

However, there's also a lot of mistakes with the plot. For example, while Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America are fighting, they leave Loki, their supervillain prisoner unattended. Also, SHIELD's entire Heli-Carrier is almost destroyed by one freaking arrow. All of The Avengers talk and pretend to have ear pieces even though they don't have any. Also, the Chitauri are nothing like they are in the comics. (And there's that annoying bickering between characters...) Overall, I expected much better from Marvel.

If you like this review, read my other ones and mark this as helpful.
  13. Dec 7, 2013
    I had never thought that I would see this kind of movie-franchise team up, and I have to congratulate Marvel for doing something that is now being copied by Sony and Fox (with their Spiderman and X-Men franchises). I mean; Iron Man, the Hulk, Captain America, Thor, Black Widow and Hawkeye teaming up to fight aliens? What? Unfortunately, the first 45 minutes are kinda boring. The car chaseI had never thought that I would see this kind of movie-franchise team up, and I have to congratulate Marvel for doing something that is now being copied by Sony and Fox (with their Spiderman and X-Men franchises). I mean; Iron Man, the Hulk, Captain America, Thor, Black Widow and Hawkeye teaming up to fight aliens? What? Unfortunately, the first 45 minutes are kinda boring. The car chase in the beginning is boring. I personally think it's overrated. I liked Loki, but he and his army seem pretty weak. I just didn't enjoy this movie. HowevervI like the action.

Overall, I expected much better from Marvel.

(P.S, you may have seen this review by me under "andrewgarcia 732". I can't get into my old account and have started new one.

As always, If you liked or didn't like this review, you can read my other ones and mark this review as helpful.)
  14. Apr 19, 2015
    When trouble-making Asgardian reject Loki (Hiddleston) launches an attack on Earth, S. H. I. E. L. D. boss Nick Fury (Jackson) decides it’s time to call in the big guns, and gathers Captain America (Evans), Bruce Banner (Ruffalo), Thor (Hemsworth) and even Iron Man (Downey Jr.) together in one elite fighting team. Good luck with that...

So Overrated! First off let me say i love Marvel

So Overrated! First off let me say i love Marvel movies but what the hell happened!

Marvel Studios unveils its costliest special-effects demo to date; somewhere beneath the nonstop digital explosions lies a story about superheroes fighting an evil demigod from space. Every now and then, director Joss Whedon (Serenity) executes a quirky camera set-up to assert that the film was created by him and not a team of marketing executives. Of the star-studded cast, only Mark Ruffalo (playing Bruce Banner) and Robert Downey Jr. (as Iron Man) bring any personality to the place-holder dialogue. Overlong, monotonous, generic alien creatures, and simple-minded, this is like one of those “World’s Biggest Gang Bang” videos, except that no one onscreen appears to be enjoying himself. With Samuel L. Jackson, Scarlett Johansson, and Jeremy Renner. PLUS I CAN'T STAND LOKI!!!!!!!!
  15. Jan 5, 2013
    The Avengers is shockingly phony, corny and cheesy. The movie is extremely clumsy with too many characters with all their personal backgrounds. The story and movie completely fall apart wth the lack of chemistry between any of the superheros. An action spectacle wth very little to show for.
  16. May 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. NOTE: This review contains a few -brief- and -nonspecific- spoilers to The Avengers and other recent Marvel films. It shouldnâ Expand
  17. Jun 9, 2012
    Horrible film.

Absolutely no content whatsoever. There is not a shred of seriousness of genuine emotion or action in this movie. Any attempt to create any sense of connection is broken up by stupid one liners, which continuously add to the shallow and unrealistic characters who couldn't really be farther from acting like superheroes. The plot is likewise very badly done. It felt like
    Horrible film.

The plot is likewise very badly done. It felt like they tried to make the movie go forward just so they can show the meaningless 10-15 action scene where the "heroes" get together and kick ass.
  18. May 13, 2013
    I don't know if I'm missing something here. I felt like the Avengers had it's moments, but they were moments. The movie was predominantly stupid, which is frustrating. I watched the avengers act like children. I watched both the avengers, and the bad guys make dumb decisions. Hawkeye, you blew up one engine with an arrow. Why not blow up two, or three, or four? Oh, okay. You're going toI don't know if I'm missing something here. I felt like the Avengers had it's moments, but they were moments. The movie was predominantly stupid, which is frustrating. I watched the avengers act like children. I watched both the avengers, and the bad guys make dumb decisions. Hawkeye, you blew up one engine with an arrow. Why not blow up two, or three, or four? Oh, okay. You're going to hack the system to shut down the other one. Right. And I feel like this would be acceptable, if the film owned up to it. If there was some reason that being dumb was okay. But it didn't major plot twists were created, and solved on mistakes, jealousies, and blunders. That's a lot less fun than cleverness. Expand
  19. Nov 9, 2012
    I finally saw Avengers the other night. I was expecting so much more from Joss Whedon. Where were the deep conflicted characters and the witty dialogue that I'm used to from Firefly and Buffy? This movie was too much like Transformers. It was way too heavy on action and special effects, with little to no character development. Also, I just can't get past how cheesy the costumes were,I finally saw Avengers the other night. I was expecting so much more from Joss Whedon. Where were the deep conflicted characters and the witty dialogue that I'm used to from Firefly and Buffy? This movie was too much like Transformers. It was way too heavy on action and special effects, with little to no character development. Also, I just can't get past how cheesy the costumes were, especially the villain's. I mean what was with those ridiculous horns?? I fell asleep about 6 times during the movie and kept waking myself up because I was waiting for it to get good. It just never happened. With all the amazing writers out there struggling for work why are we having to put up with this crap on the silver screen? Expand
  20. Jan 6, 2013
    Brainless action with no real story or character's development. The movie has tons of special effects and cgs but in the end it feels more like a colorful candy that is rotten inside. Almost complete garbage.
  21. Feb 9, 2013
    I still cannot believe I wasted my money on this, what a complete and utter waste of time! I am shocked by the fact people thought this movie was great. I mean the acting was poor, the screenplay was laughable and the directing was far from perfect. It's so sad that people don't know good movies anymore these days.
  22. Dec 30, 2014
    In the Avengers, all famous superheroes team up to save humans. The film has action, humor and a story but all of them are superficial and underdeveloped. The Avengers aims at catering all kind of audience (those who love superheroes, or actions, or comedies) but delivers a mixture that is none.

The idea of superheroes never settled well with me. The idea that we, people, are helpless and need superheroes to save and protect us is a troubling idea to say the best about it.

I really don't understand all the hype around this movie. 2 hours of your time is worth more than the laughter you get from seeing Hulk smashing Loki to the floor a few times (and that's the only good thing in the movie).
  23. Aug 6, 2014
    Aburridísima. Pensé que no estaría mal juntar a tantos superhéroes pero el resultado fue una película con una primera hora llena de diálogos vacíos y chistes tontos (que alguien le pegue un tiro ya a thor y hulk, pensaba yo) y una segunda hora de acción que solo demuestra que lo único bueno de la peli son sus efectos. ¿En serio os gusta esto?
    Películas para niños pequeños... Marvel las ha
    Películas para niños pequeños... Marvel las ha hecho mejores. Desastrosa.
  24. Jan 19, 2015
    DISAPOINTING

For heroes like this to be in a movie, there should be more action with the hulk. As well as that there was a horrible plot behind the movie and it can bore you to death sometimes. This was truly horrible.
  25. Apr 23, 2015
    Most Overrated pile of crap i've ever seen!

Most Overrated pile of crap i've ever seen!

Marvel Studios unveils its costliest special-effects demo to date; somewhere beneath the nonstop digital explosions lies a story about superheroes fighting an evil demigod from space. Every now and then, director Joss Whedon (Serenity) executes a quirky camera set-up to assert that the film was created by him and not a team of marketing executives. Of the star-studded cast, only Mark Ruffalo (playing Bruce Banner) and Robert Downey Jr. (as Iron Man) bring any personality to the place-holder dialogue. Overlong, monotonous, violent, and simple-minded, this is like one of those “World’s Biggest Gang Bang” videos, except that no one onscreen appears to be enjoying himself. With Samuel L. Jackson, Scarlett Johansson, and Jeremy Renner.

Plus I can't stand LOKI!!!
  26. Dec 4, 2012
    My most honest opinion as a Marvel fan: this movie is an absolute piece of garbage and overrated as hell. It's just as dumb and moronic as Bay's Transformers by only focusing on big budget special effects and random silly jokes. I give it a 2/10 because Mark Ruffalo was the only good thing about this film otherwise it would have been a 0/10.

It's good for little kids but those 3D

It's good for little kids but those 3D animated movies have much more depth than The Avengers. This movie could lower theirs and your IQ.
  27. May 14, 2012
    Where's the story? Lots of punches but nothing to make me interested in the characters or the plot - what plot? What does it say about us that this movie has been so popular? I followed MC's recommendation and was sorely disappointed. The bits of humor and Robert Downey were the only bright spots in a really boring movie. Loki's horns looked ridiculous.
  28. May 23, 2012
    Despite being billed as an action movie, The Avengers is painfully slow. Much of the plot involves the eponymous team fighting each other, though we all know going in that they will eventually team-up, so this lengthy attempt at conflict seems especially sluggish and misdirected. Robert Downey Jr. And Samuel L. Jackson both manage to pull focus and remind you you're watching a bad movieDespite being billed as an action movie, The Avengers is painfully slow. Much of the plot involves the eponymous team fighting each other, though we all know going in that they will eventually team-up, so this lengthy attempt at conflict seems especially sluggish and misdirected. Robert Downey Jr. And Samuel L. Jackson both manage to pull focus and remind you you're watching a bad movie more than they usually do, which is saying something; and the cast is generally much too aware they are in a movie for it to work. Indeed, The Avengers is so remarkably unambitious they even manage to avoid developing some of the team's most notable members like The Scarlet Witch and The Vision, choices that would be mystifying if it wasn't so clearly a cynically half-hearted attempt at storytelling. Nevertheless, Chris Evans is still nice to look at. Expand
  29. May 8, 2012
    This is "Power Rangers" for adults, with fancier special effects. Please, a flying invisible aircraft carrier. My suspension of disbelief broke into a million pieces. It obviously wasn't there when the film asked me to believe that the horrendously destructive battle of six spiffy looking Marvel characters and thousands of space creatures pouring through a space portal in the middle of NewThis is "Power Rangers" for adults, with fancier special effects. Please, a flying invisible aircraft carrier. My suspension of disbelief broke into a million pieces. It obviously wasn't there when the film asked me to believe that the horrendously destructive battle of six spiffy looking Marvel characters and thousands of space creatures pouring through a space portal in the middle of New York City didn't lead to the wholly unnecessary deaths of thousands of people. Please. "It's just comic book stuff" doesn't excuse the fact that it still must be made to look reasonable for the viewer to buy into it. There was no one to root for, no real plot tension, no depth of character -- the constant pointless bickering between Avengers doesn't count. Come on. What kind of shallow people these days think that a film that merely amounts to an agonizing overload of street kickboxing to defeat an effete space god is a "10" on this scale. Have video games made so many people this way? That's the real scary thing the Avengers should be avenging. Expand
  30. May 26, 2012
    Please answer this question: "What was the plot of this film?" If you can't sum it up in three sentences, please review the legitimacy of this film. When I watched it, I thought with dull sensations, 'Man, this is entertaining, this is cool. Hey, look, the Hulk is about to turn....into the Hulk!" But that was it. I'm no 'hipster' as the 'cinema-jew' says would only trash on the film.Please answer this question: "What was the plot of this film?" If you can't sum it up in three sentences, please review the legitimacy of this film. When I watched it, I thought with dull sensations, 'Man, this is entertaining, this is cool. Hey, look, the Hulk is about to turn....into the Hulk!" But that was it. I'm no 'hipster' as the 'cinema-jew' says would only trash on the film. I'm a rational human being. Seriously, what is the film's plot!!!! Alien-warriors from a parallel universe team up with a demi-god who's supposed to be swirling in a blackhole, bent on conquering earth FOR NO APPARENT REASON?!?!?!?! What? This plot seems created by a toddler. It makes no sense. There are so many plot-holes (Ex: Why did Iron Man attack Thor when he knows about the Avengers in the first place? And why did Thor ever get the ability to beam down back to Earth?!?!?!) that it makes me feel stupid from watching it. The characters work well together and I enjoyed the comedic elements of the film, only because I felt they were making fun of their selves. This is the bane of American stupidity. And it's grossing millions! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    May 8, 2012
    The banter has zip, the effects are fun, the climactic battle is decently spectacular, and if the 3-D is mostly expendable, there are a few scenes where it adds a nice kick.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    May 4, 2012
    This mania is what Marvel followers have hungered for, and it would be fruitless to deny their delight. As Loki says to a crowd of earthlings, "It is the unspoken truth of humanity that you crave subjugation." We do, Master, we do.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    May 4, 2012
    They're fascinating characters, to be sure, with back stories ripe for development. But Whedon doesn't commit here, and the results are shrug-worthy.