The Aviator

8.0

1. Jul 8, 2012
    The way the story fit together was magnificent, the way how every intricate detail contributed to the story was amazing. A great movie I would recommend to anyone who likes this sort of movie.
  2. PlixikW.
    Jul 13, 2006
    amazing movie. awesome directing by scorsese and awesome acting by dicaprio.
  3. Jul 4, 2011
    Leonardo DiCaprio deserved an Oscar for this movie. his performance was excellent. this is one of my favorite movies by him and Scorsese. it was genius. the acting was great. and the storyline was once again good. near perfect movie.
  4. Feb 12, 2014
    Really amazing interpretation by Di Caprio and the cast. Considering Hughes was a really complex character considering his severe OCD (possibly better detail than Nicholson in As Good as it Gets). The film itself is a little bit slow in some parts but overall really good quality
  5. Apr 6, 2012
    What a movie! Engaging, interesting, refreshing, witty! A movie with different hues! It was long, but never boring. Di Caprio's performance was excellent! I can't find real flaws here...yet it is not a 10...but close! I would love to see more historical-even if not very accurate- movies that are delightful as to me, this was.
  6. Feb 11, 2014
    Perhaps one of the more underrated films of Scorsese, The Aviator is an exhilarating look at the aviation pioneer with DiCaprio filling in his shoes with never seen before intensity and some grand set design.
  7. Nov 12, 2013
    Howard Hughes had a dream for the future, and put everything he had on the line to build it. Scorsese has brought his dream to life, flaws, foibles, failures, and all in a stunningly dramatic masterwork. This is Scorsese at his most breathtaking and cinema at its best.
  8. Aug 24, 2014
    Simply fascinating I bought this movie a few weeks ago and never got around to watching it I don't know why I waited so long this film is a masterpiece on its own right Leonardo DiCaprio has always managed to create a completely different and unique character each time he puts on a performance and it is never disappointing is always a spectacular show with beyond perfect execution oSimply fascinating I bought this movie a few weeks ago and never got around to watching it I don't know why I waited so long this film is a masterpiece on its own right Leonardo DiCaprio has always managed to create a completely different and unique character each time he puts on a performance and it is never disappointing is always a spectacular show with beyond perfect execution o haven't seen all of his films but kits been this way every single time and he did that with this film right here and every other character in this film was interesting and none of them felt like throw away characters they all had there place but they weren't the focus and shouldn't be the main character Howard Hughes was and is one of the best played characters to date it was amazing to watch his life played out in this movie and it was genuinely grieving to see how he lived with his fears and mentality I would recommend for anyone given the chance to see this movie. Expand
  9. annonymous
    Jan 6, 2006
    Great movie slow in some parks but it was so good All of you who gave it a 0 2 or 3 have no life!!!!!
  10. Jul 11, 2014
    This undoubtedly a very good film. Leonardo DiCaprio is phenomenal in the lead role and really embodies Howard Hughes. Throughout, it barely felt like acting, rather it felt like I was watching Howard Hughes in a documentary, which is truly amazing. John C. Reilly, Cate Blanchett, and Alan Alda also really stood out in what was a very large and talented cast for this one. Martin Scorsese'sThis undoubtedly a very good film. Leonardo DiCaprio is phenomenal in the lead role and really embodies Howard Hughes. Throughout, it barely felt like acting, rather it felt like I was watching Howard Hughes in a documentary, which is truly amazing. John C. Reilly, Cate Blanchett, and Alan Alda also really stood out in what was a very large and talented cast for this one. Martin Scorsese's direction is also fantastic as usual. Thanks to his direction, we get a very clear picture of what was a very troubled genius due to the great storytelling. Also thanks to his direction, the almost three hour run time feels more like an hour. The cinematography is also something to behold here, as the entire film is really beautifully put together. Sometimes with Scorsese, though I love his films, I can feel that little bit, "Well I liked that, but I thought it would be better," but here, there was no such feeling as this really lived up to the hype for me and more and really stands tall as a great biopic of one of the brightest men in recent times. Expand
  11. Aug 25, 2014
    The great detail and enormity of The Aviator is astonishing. Leonardo DiCaprio's portrayal of the billionaire and mad-man is unmatched. Martin Scorsese will instantly engage you, and you'll remember this one.
  12. Feb 21, 2014
    Great story, great actors, great director. Not much anything else to say except that the movie is pretty long, if you have no problems with that, go watch it!
  13. Nov 7, 2012
    The Aviator contains moments of greatness. It also contains some boring stretches, but make no mistake, the greatness is not overshadowed. Some key scenes in this film make it unmissable.
  14. Jan 7, 2014
    Scorsese matém uma boa forma depois de Gangues de Nova York, O Aviador sem sombras de dúvida se mostrou ser um bom filme, porém não um dos melhores mais está entre.
  15. Jun 8, 2013
    Cate Blanchett is stunning and the cinematography is gorgeous. I strongly dislike Leonardo DiCaprio, though he's okay here; I think he's a highly overrated actor and so I find most of his performances incredibly annoying. With that in mind, I really liked him in The Aviator. This is his movie and he carries the film well. He works well with Scorsese and this film is proof of that.
  16. Sep 22, 2013
    Although a little long, Aviator is an okay attempt at what Scorcese sought out to do. The movie is very slow at times, but nevertheless a powerful film. The performances are there, and DiCaprio as Howard Hughes is mesmerizingly good.
  17. Nov 13, 2013
    The Aviator flies.
    With the duo of Scorsese and Di-caprio, The Aviator takes a solid script and brings it to life. Amazing performances and a well paced story makes it take-off.
  18. May 18, 2014
    This is one of Scorsese and DiCaprio's most underrated, DiCaprio is just so astonishing as Howard Hughes in a well studied portrayal, Cate Blanchett like always gives an amazing performance as Katharine Hepburn. Do not care about its 170 min length it's very good
  19. CharlesM.
    Jan 1, 2005
    Although a little too long, very entertaining. DeCaprio and Cake Blanchette are excellent, as is the rest of the cast.
  20. EdgarV.
    Jan 7, 2005
    Excelentes actuaciones de todo el elenco, es especial de DiCaprio y de Cate Blanchett. Espero que Scorsese por fin le entreguen el Oscar. En esta oportunidad hace un magnifico trabajo en un a gran super produccion. Si no se lo otorgan por su magnifico trabajo en esta pelicula, por lo menos deberian pensar en el conjunto de su obra. Quizas sea la ultima oportunidad para premiarlo.
  21. KenG.
    Jan 7, 2005
    One of the best films of the year...a fascinating look at the early age of aviation and Hollywood with a dashing, doomed, OCD afflicted Howard Hughes as our guide. This is one of Scorsese's best, and just wait till you see Cate Blanchett resurrecting Kate Hepburn!
  22. M.A.Moran
    Feb 2, 2005
    Leonardo DiCaprio is so amazing in the role, I wonder how he played the part so well without actually losing his mind. The film totally humanizes Howard Hughes and tells a compelling story. Kudos to Scorsese, Alda and Blanchett as well.
  23. BraulioS.
    Apr 29, 2005
    The Film is E-X-C-E-L-L-E-N-T !!! The Best! Just Thi film is PERFECT!!
  24. ChrisR.
    May 7, 2005
    The Aviator stars Leonardo DiCaprio as the eccentric Howard Hughes. The film focuses primarily on a 20 year span in Hughes' life (from approximately 1927 to approximately 1947), displaying his knack for coming up with ideas for "the wave of the future" in the aviation and motion picture industries while illustrating his obsessive/compulsive behavior and fanaticism for cleanliness. He The Aviator stars Leonardo DiCaprio as the eccentric Howard Hughes. The film focuses primarily on a 20 year span in Hughes' life (from approximately 1927 to approximately 1947), displaying his knack for coming up with ideas for "the wave of the future" in the aviation and motion picture industries while illustrating his obsessive/compulsive behavior and fanaticism for cleanliness. He was both a genius and self-absorbed/self-destructive fool. DiCaprio does a fine job portraying Hughes. The film is nearly 3 hours long but I was entertained the whole time and at no time did the movie seem to drag. Indeed, the airplane crashes were quite exhilarating. I give it a 8.65. Expand
  25. MikeG
    Jan 12, 2005
    It's not a perfect biography, but it is a perfect film. Scorcese's vision of Hughes' life is perfectly captured in a film that almost never feels long. But the gem here is DiCaprio, who becomes Howard Hughes for 166 minutes. Leo captures both the ambition and the mania of the eccentric recluse without ever seeming like a soap opera character or a caricature. The movie is an It's not a perfect biography, but it is a perfect film. Scorcese's vision of Hughes' life is perfectly captured in a film that almost never feels long. But the gem here is DiCaprio, who becomes Howard Hughes for 166 minutes. Leo captures both the ambition and the mania of the eccentric recluse without ever seeming like a soap opera character or a caricature. The movie is an homage to the grand epics of the Hollywood of old, and is perfect in that regard. Just don't go in expecting 100% accuracy. Howard Hughes was an enigma, and the movie presents him as just that. A soaring, beautiful film. Expand
  26. DanielR.
    Jan 17, 2005
    Interesting insofar as parts of Hughes' life are depicted with high production values. The episodes depicting his obsessive compulsive disorder got repetitive and, unless it was intentional, the tone of the movie became increasingly empty - as did Hughes' life.
  27. RobertL.
    Jan 2, 2005
    My friends and wife dragged me to this ovie on New Year's Eve. I didn't want to go becuase I thought it would be lonmg and boring. It turned out to be one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. And it moved so well that I never realized the almost three hour long movie was over whne it ended.
  28. SusanM.
    Jan 31, 2005
    I am surprised to see what low ratings this movie is getting...I really, really enjoyed it, I thought it was very engaging and the acting was just terrific! It's a long movie but I didn't even notice. I say go see it!
  29. BillT.
    Jan 6, 2005
    Pros: Much more entertaining than I anticipated, with excellent and compelling performances from Leo and Cate Blanchett. Cons: About an hour too long, with no focus for the last hour. Kate Beckinsale was not at all interesting as Ava Gardner.
  30. WinnieS.
    Jan 9, 2005
    I find the criticism of the latter part of this film confounding. While the first half is certainly exhilirating, the second half reveals even more about the man and is just as compelling. The sparring during the congressional hearings was just as engaging as Hughes' early endeavors -- and even more remarkable given his preceding decline into debilitating mental illness. Overall, the I find the criticism of the latter part of this film confounding. While the first half is certainly exhilirating, the second half reveals even more about the man and is just as compelling. The sparring during the congressional hearings was just as engaging as Hughes' early endeavors -- and even more remarkable given his preceding decline into debilitating mental illness. Overall, the movie captures Hughes' genius, incredible ability to overcome his declining mental state, and passion for life in an entrtaining, enlightening manner. Di Captio gives his finest performance yet and was the perfect choice for the role. Blanchett is remarkable (as always) as Hepburn. John C. Reilly and Alec Baldwin are also very good. This one is definitely worth seeing on the big screen and then adding to the library when it's released on DVD. (Can't wait for the extras!) Expand

1. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    An enormously entertaining slice of biographical drama, The Aviator flies like one of Howard Hughes' record-setting speed airplanes.
  2. Scorsese has crafted a rip-roaringly gorgeous-looking, beautifully acted biographical epic. But while firing on all cylinders, there's something oddly distancing about the picture.
  3. Reviewed by: David Ansen