5.5

1. Mar 5, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Shamefully predictable. Formulaic. Typical boy meets girl (typcical meets 'cute'), boy gets girl, boy loses girl, boy get girl back. Why does every American chick flick have to follow the same formula. Quite unoriginal. Expand
  2. Dec 20, 2010
    Alex O'Loughlin is a wonderful actor, but even he can't overcome the horrendous writing and direction in this turkey. I watched it anyway, which is why I got to see one of the most unfunny birthing scenes in the history of film.
  3. Sep 23, 2010
    Even though the ticket to J-Lo's 'The Back-Up Plan' was offered to me free of charge, I immediately declined. The second time it was offered, for whatever reason, it seems I was in a more agreeable mood and caved in.

Ok, it was ALWAYS going to be a bad film experience, let's be clear. But nothing, I repeat NOTHING could prepare me for the sheer, unadulterated, spine chillingly
    horrific scenes proffered by Alan Poul and Columbia Pictures.

I'll admit, I don't watch a large number of Hollywood films these days, much less this genre, however, I'm quite sure there cannot be any serious competition come RAZZIE® Awards time.

At the present time, Hollywood studios are producing more garbage than ever - this is widely accepted with metrics freely available. But THIS?!! Surely someone with authority, somewhere along the production line could have stood up and said 'STOP'!!

With a few strokes of the pen, the studio signed off on this mindlessly insipid, unskilfully contrived fragment of tripe. In today's market, it's conceivable that they may even recoup their costs. As for myself however, I'm forced to deal with the scars on a daily basis, both psychological and physical (I suffered a grade 4 whiplash due to high intensity, involuntary 'wincing').

I can only imagine the further damage I may have inflicted upon myself if I had remained in the theatre any longer than I did. This was without question, the longest twenty-five minutes of my life - time I might add, that I can never reclaim.

Disaster witnesses often talk about the sensation of viewing events from 'outside their body' - I now have a very real and first-hand experience of this phenomena.

May the Lord God have mercy on our souls.
  4. Sep 10, 2010
    Occasionally cute, but not very funny. A pretty typical Jlo movie, something to watch at home, on a Wednesday evening. I must admit though, there is something hypnotizing about Jennifer Lopez. I actually watched the entire movie even though it was insanely predictable and cliche.
  5. Aug 29, 2010
    Jennifer Lopez returns to making movies, and she does great in this return. It's a nice romantic movie with its funny jokes, but it's not so much comedy focused as many would expect. And while the movie can be at times predictable, it is still a nice fun film for couples to enjoy.
  6. Aug 13, 2010
    Well, it is a romantic comedy. Therefore, expectations shouldn't be very high in the first place. So, for what it is, it is rather decent.
    Definitely some funny moments, but most of them are cheesy and stupid.. and the "problems" are totally unnecessary and solvable, but not in the world of the Break-up Plan.

Still, Lopez wasn't completely horrible, and the leading actor is SMOKING HOT.
    If for anything else, you should watch the film for his sake! Haha. But overall, it is a passable film, but not good by any stretch of that word. Collapse

1. Jennifer Lopez carries this thin concept about as far and as well as she can, with Alex O'Loughlin in his first leading-man outing managing not to get lost in the shuffle.
  2. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    This tepid romantic comedy falls somewhere between a weak sitcom pilot and a second-tier Hallmark movie.
    O’Loughlin is the very definition of comic dead weight. Imagine making Greg Kinnear carry half of "Baby Mama," or sending Tina Fey out with Matthew Fox on "Date Night" and you’ll get the picture.