6.8

1. VicM.
    Mar 18, 2010
    Easily Nic Cage's best performance. Werner Herzog is a genius director!
  2. SusanA.
    Jan 3, 2010
    Full of surprises, very unique, Nicholas Cage is a blast.
  3. MarcBB
    Jan 4, 2010
    Bad Lieutenant, the new Warner Herzog film starring Nicholas Cage. Absolutely terrible. Dont waste your money on this film. Felt like I was watching a bad late night cable movie.Terrible acting, cinematography,story, etc. The fact that this was made by Herzog and squandered the considerable talents of Mr. Cage for over... the top absurdity is very depressing. Someone said that it's Bad Lieutenant, the new Warner Herzog film starring Nicholas Cage. Absolutely terrible. Dont waste your money on this film. Felt like I was watching a bad late night cable movie.Terrible acting, cinematography,story, etc. The fact that this was made by Herzog and squandered the considerable talents of Mr. Cage for over... the top absurdity is very depressing. Someone said that it's so bad that it's good. No. Avoid at all costs. As terrible as Observe And Report and Terminator Salvation. Possibly the worst film Ive seen this year. Expand
  4. PipsA
    Apr 18, 2010
    This is a movie that people rate highly because they feel that they "missed" the message that the movie is trying to send. This movie is uninspiring, pointless drivel. People watch the movie, don't understand the crap (because there's nothing to understand!), but remember that it was a highly rated movie. They think to themselves "I can't be seen to be a person that This is a movie that people rate highly because they feel that they "missed" the message that the movie is trying to send. This movie is uninspiring, pointless drivel. People watch the movie, don't understand the crap (because there's nothing to understand!), but remember that it was a highly rated movie. They think to themselves "I can't be seen to be a person that didn't understand it", so they in turn rate it highly. Please, please save your money!! Expand
  5. DarylL.
    Apr 14, 2010
    Nicholas Cage is a convincing drug addict cop but the film overall is fragmented and thematically incoherent. Herzog struggled finding a way to end the movie. Val Kilmer was disappointingly non-existant in the film.
  6. RyanS
    Apr 9, 2010
    Watch Nicolas Cage go crazy, use lots of drugs, and do pretty much the opposite of what his job entails in Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans.
  7. PatrickL.
    Jan 19, 2010
    The worst movie of the year. Herzog cannot make a conventional movie. There is no dramatic tension, there is nothing. His best film is Kaspar Hauser.
  8. WoodyD.
    Jan 22, 2010
    The film achieved a total critical irony. A critique of - particularly, American film structure, the American way of life, and the banalization of subjectivities; Cage starring a a piece of animated cardboard. Perhaps the first film in which Cages' lack of ability or even interest in what he is doing has been recognized for what it is and used to the advantage of the film. ConsideringThe film achieved a total critical irony. A critique of - particularly, American film structure, the American way of life, and the banalization of subjectivities; Cage starring a a piece of animated cardboard. Perhaps the first film in which Cages' lack of ability or even interest in what he is doing has been recognized for what it is and used to the advantage of the film. Considering to whom Cage is a nephew the intersecting of nepotisms both real and fiction is a nice touch. Expand
  9. EggyG.
    Jan 28, 2010
    This movie already twisted from the start....and gives more and more twist till the end...but surprisingly enjoyable...in twisted kind of way. Nicholas Cage is perfect for this role...sublime performance.
  10. MichaelJ
    Mar 25, 2010
    Excellent. DO NOT MISS. For yourself, see a movie worth its salt. Maybe the best, certainly the most underrated cinema of 2009. Anyone who doesn't think so, doesn't really like movies, maybe coffee table books are more their thing.
  11. JamesG.
    Apr 6, 2010
    I've always enjoyed Herzog's films, because he's not afraid to make films he likes and he does not disappoint in this film. Cage is exciting to watch all the way through.
  12. Billc.
    Apr 9, 2010
    Pretty much a mess. It's entertaining at times , but can't deside what it wants to be. Is it a David Lynch film , in parts it seems like it. Nick Cage's tastes in film is just too odd. In the end , it feels like you've been taken for a ride that was a waste of your time.
  13. Mjelcajonmjelcajon
    Feb 16, 2010
    This movie looks great, Very entertaining from the trailer. Great cast especially VAL KILMER. I feel that If Robert Downey junior can make a come back then Val can too.
  14. CesarP
    Apr 11, 2010
    This movie was really "G" everytime Nicolas Cage said it was hilariuos. Great performance by Nicolas Cage and he is exciting to watch all the way through and great movie too
  15. KyriY
    Apr 12, 2010
    Absolute crack. Terrible music, convoluted story, and an over the top performance by a once good actor. If you want a real flavour of New Orleans watch "Treme" the new series from the creators of the wire.
  16. DanielR
    Apr 13, 2010
    Cages performance is unconvincing and laughable. I thought it was terribly written and yet I sat through it thinking maybe the next scene will turn it all around. What a waste of time. Sharing this film's title (albeit tweaked) is a disgrace to the original film.
  17. TylerF.
    Nov 21, 2009
    A plethora of scenes bounce around self-aware; exuding a tremendous amount of humor throughout the feature. Comedic exertion occurs too often to entirely enjoy the two-hour crime film. Apparently you can have too much of a good thing in cinema; who knew it
  18. WinstonL
    Nov 20, 2009
    Nicolas is on my Oscar-watch.
  19. JohnB.
    Nov 20, 2009
    Comeback for Nicolas Cage. Definitely a treat. Horrifying, chilling performance from Cage that I did not expect.
  20. MatthewP.
    Nov 23, 2009
    Nic Cage's best performance ever. He is un-be-lievable. Best movie of the year. Period.
  21. JayW.
    Nov 24, 2009
    Embarrassing, trite and ridiculous. Scenes (remember the alligator?) reflect the director's desperate attempt to make art of self-indulgency.
  22. JT
    Dec 12, 2009
    I'm on the fence about this one. On one side, Nic Cage does an excellent job and "The Bad Lieutenant" is probably his best movie since "Adaptation". Also, I liked the fact that the film doesn't really on twists but still manages to surprise the audience. On the other hand, this is one of Werner Herzog's weakest films and none of the characters are very likable.
  23. AliceE.
    Nov 21, 2009
    I'm a huge Nicolas Cage fan, and I'll say right now that this is one of his finest performances. His impulsive acting always hits the target, completing the overall story-line. He is at his best when he gets to go crazy, his earlier work "Vampire's Kiss" being tribute to this highly specialized skill that dominates Bad Lieutenant. The cast choice in league with the I'm a huge Nicolas Cage fan, and I'll say right now that this is one of his finest performances. His impulsive acting always hits the target, completing the overall story-line. He is at his best when he gets to go crazy, his earlier work "Vampire's Kiss" being tribute to this highly specialized skill that dominates Bad Lieutenant. The cast choice in league with the characters' performances really made it stand out. Eva Mendes and Cage had good chemistry together in "Ghost Rider" and it comes across again in the film. Expand
  24. Qwerty
    Nov 22, 2009
    Couldn't believe only two hours had elapsed; felt like forever. And did they let Cage get hold of a pair of scissors while blown away? Title ought to have been The Bad Haircut.
  25. GL
    Nov 25, 2009
    Fantastic.
  26. TomR.
    Dec 24, 2009
    This is messed up in every right way it can be. To call it unpredictable is to falsely suggest it's in the realm of linearity; instead, it's a portrait of the end of things as the beginning of the end of things, repeat as needed. Cage doesn't so much deserve an award as he deserves a year off from critical reaction to his work. And clearly, Herzog never left the building. This is messed up in every right way it can be. To call it unpredictable is to falsely suggest it's in the realm of linearity; instead, it's a portrait of the end of things as the beginning of the end of things, repeat as needed. Cage doesn't so much deserve an award as he deserves a year off from critical reaction to his work. And clearly, Herzog never left the building. F---ing champs. Expand
  27. Aug 13, 2010
    have never seen a Werner Herzog film and to tell you the truth I have never heard of him. After seeing Bad Lieutenant Iâ
  28. Nov 18, 2010
    Such a great performance! I love Herzog and Cage, and this movie shows how underrated they both are. Just a really freaking entertaining two hours of cinema. This isn't the kind of movie where the character learns some sort of "life lesson"- he's bad through and through. It's amazing that we root for the guy despite the fact that he is such a clearly horrible person. This greatness liesSuch a great performance! I love Herzog and Cage, and this movie shows how underrated they both are. Just a really freaking entertaining two hours of cinema. This isn't the kind of movie where the character learns some sort of "life lesson"- he's bad through and through. It's amazing that we root for the guy despite the fact that he is such a clearly horrible person. This greatness lies solely in Cage's amazing performance. A warning though: this movie is **** crazy. It can best be described as a mix between A Clockwork Orange and Napoleon Dynamite. If you don't think this combination should ever exist, maybe it's not for you. But, if you want any clue as to what I'm talking about, check this one out. I guarantee you've never seen anything like it. Expand
  29. Nov 10, 2010
    I couldn't figure out WTF this movie was about. I like Nick Cage and all that but really, what the hell was this? You're either gonna love it or want you're 2 hours back. PS. I will never in my life go to New Orleans.
  30. Nov 27, 2011
    Bad Lieutenant is a movie that you either get and like or dont and hate. I got it. Some may be disapointed by the story and its weirdness. I am interested in its character who nicholas Cage plays marvelously. Not to mention the iguanas. Overall great ride of a film
  31. Nov 17, 2013
    Nicolas Cage is by far one of my favorite actors, because even in a bad movie like this one, he gives everything he's got. The man is pure intensity and believable in any role. That's why I get so frustrated when he wastes his time on a bad movie like this one. I never saw the first Bad Lieutenant film, but this one was presented as a dark drama, centered around the murder of an immigrantNicolas Cage is by far one of my favorite actors, because even in a bad movie like this one, he gives everything he's got. The man is pure intensity and believable in any role. That's why I get so frustrated when he wastes his time on a bad movie like this one. I never saw the first Bad Lieutenant film, but this one was presented as a dark drama, centered around the murder of an immigrant family, but that really wasn't the focus of this film. Port of Call New Orleans focuses on a cop who was injured in the line of duty. As a result of severe pain, he turns to drugs and to using any means necessary to obtain those drugs. If I were the writer of a film like this, I would have made it a comedy and the cop would be completely outrageous and over the top. There were a lot of scenes that could have been made really enjoyable with a little bit of comedy, but they didn't do that. This is a slow moving film, about a mess of a man doing up things. There really is no point to the whole thing and it is more than somewhat hard to follow. A good measure of a movie is how long does the film actually feel. Bad Lieutenant was 2 hours, but easily felt like 8. The beginning is kind of interesting, and while I was beyond bored, I had to stick it out to see what happened, I'm sorry I did. Cage is fantastic as usual and the film makers had all the tools needed to make this an amazing film. Instead, they were lazy and dropped this giant turd on us, that is nothing more than a confusing waste of time. Expand
  32. Aug 11, 2012
    To say Nicolas Cage is not my favourite actor would be an understatement. That said films like Con Air are a guilty pleasure of mine. Cage stars in Werner Herzog's 2009 film Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans. I haven't seen the 1992 film of the same name so I'm coming at this film from an original standpoint.

Cage is Terrence McDonaugh, a lieutenant in the New Orleans police

Cage is Terrence McDonaugh, a lieutenant in the New Orleans police department with an ailing back, earned saving a prisoner during the Katrina floods, that has lead to a growing drug and gambling addiction. The story revolves around a murder investigation, however, the police work is only ever a long second to McDonaugh's spiral out of control. To say the wheels fall off as the story progresses would suggest they were even on in the first place. Cage is fantastic as the reckless, dishevelled, bug-eyed and hunched over addict on the slope to despair. It is definitely by favourite performance by the guy.

Beating David Simon's Treme to the punch, post-Katrina New Orleans is an apt setting for the lawlessness and desperate nature of the film's main character.

Although McDonaugh is certainly a bad lieutenant, snorting coke in front of a teenage witness and pulling the oxygen tube out of an elderly lady's nose while interrogating and verbally abusing her, most of his meltdowns and law-breaking come in pursuit of the drugs he needs and his police work remains largely on point.

The film is maniacally amusing as McDonuagh loses control and coupled with Herzog's abstract direction and William Finkelstein's script, it almost becomes a black comedy. The stand out scene in Bad Lieutenant involves the camera cutting to two iguanas on a table (the iguanas being a hallucination of McDonaughs) where the camera stays watching McDonaugh (who stares back) and his team on a stakeout from the iguana point of view for over a minute with nothing but music playing. Surreal indeed.

The supporting cast is strong and includes Eva Mendes, Michael Shannon (Boardwalk Empire), Val Kilmer and X-Zibit but there is only one bad lieutenant.

An excellent film featuring a great performance from Nicholas Cage.

Those expecting a return to the depravity and menace of Abel Ferrara’s 1992 notorious original will be disappointed.
  2. There is a lot of very black humor; and it develops, somewhat surprisingly, into something suggesting a kind of cheerful pessimism.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    The film is offbeat, silly, disarming and loopy all at the same time, and viewers will decide to ride with that or just give up on it, according to mood and disposition.