6.0

1. Apr 26, 2014
    A totally nonsensical mess. It is not so much a movie as a collage of stupid ideas. The lighting was awful, the script was pathetic, and the acting was...bizarre.
  2. Apr 21, 2014
    What was this?!?! I could not believe how bad this was. The Bag Man is about the worst film my eyes have every laid eyes on. Nobody should have to witness this disaster of a film.
  3. Apr 20, 2014
    A shameful movie to say the least. Incomprehensible, unwatchable (literally), and acting that is embarrassing. The Bag Man is just more proof that Hollywood would release any kind of trash for its audience.
  4. Apr 4, 2014
    I was really in a mood for a movie when I watched "The Bag Man" and even if I weren't, I wouldn't dare to give it a bad review. "The Bag Man" stars John Cusack, Rebecca Da Costa and Robert De Niro, an excellent choice of cast, the premise is interesting, dark and leaves you at the edge of your seat and curiosity, it really kind of mixes between action, tragedy and thriller. Despite, in some scenes it is dull, but it needs to be dull, it alerts you that something big will happen at the end, and when it does, it is satisfying. Although the movie is in some parts predictable, but for the most part, it works out as a mystery that isn't gonna solve it self, thus at some parts you have to connect the dots. It is absolutely not a perfect film, but I don't see why it went directly to home video, it is worth your time, you can rent it first if you don't want to spend money on it. It is worth it, I recommend "The Bag Man" on a friday night with your friends and popcorn, you're gonna have fun watching it. Expand
  5. Mar 28, 2014
    I'm a sucker for this genre, but no...this film just didn't cut it. While the action and bloodshed kept the pace and tension moving, the humor was poorly timed and delivered. DeNiro and Cusack should have been a sure thing, but wasted in this film IMO. Lackluster dialogue and the fact that the actresses face never moved were the final blow for me. It was one of those movies where I wouldn't be surprised to find out that she was spoon fed lines because they were all delivered in the same flat tone, ugh...don't waste your time Expand
  6. Mar 20, 2014
    Oh my, what a seriously boring movie. I fell asleep watching it,
    and I had to watch the remaining hour of it in two goes, to get through it..........
  7. Mar 10, 2014
    OMG what an awesome movie! Loved the Bag Man and John Cusack is always one of my favs. He was really hot as the bag man and its cool to see him playing a tough guy for a change. Robert De Niro was so himself as the crime boss guy and the plot was really intense. I liked the action and the unexpected plot twists. It was cool how dark and moody the movie was although I agree that it was hard to see some of what was going on. But that kinda added to the mood of the film so I think the darkness was appropriate. Really cool movie, I heart John Cusack! LOL! Expand
  8. Mar 7, 2014
    A moody, neo noir thriller, set in a dark and stormy motel, The Bag Man was captivating and tense from beginning to end. There were strong performances from the actors, both John Cusack and De Niro were well cast and had a great chemistry, with De Niro as the boss and Cusack as the bag man. Also excellent were the supporting cast with Crispin Glover in an appropriate role as the weird desk clerk at the motel. The plot twists and action make the movie very gripping. There is also a dark, underlying comedic tone that really suits John Cusack. Rebecca De Costa is great as the damsel in distress who knows more than she lets on. Expand
  9. Mar 6, 2014
    Totally cool crime thriller! Love seeing Robert De Niro back playing a serious crime boss after all the “Meet the Parents” comedy roles he’s done lately. The plot surrounding the mysterious “bag” John Cusack has to look after was filled with tension. I liked the simple idea of him hiding out in a cheap motel filled with interesting characters. Also lots of great action and a smoking hot femme fatale! All in all, the Bag Man had everything I look for in a crime thriller, tension, action, strong characters, and a sexy chic. I’d recommend this movie. Collapse
  10. Mar 6, 2014
    The Bag Man is a dark, gritty thriller that has offbeat sensibilities that reminded me of Tarantino or the Coen Brothers. Robert De Niro plays an intellectual crime boss and it was great to see him back in a tough, wiseguy role after all the comedic “Meet the Fockers” type films he seems to be stuck in lately.

John Cusack also steps outside of his usual range to play “Jack” a bad guy
    with a noble streak. He was surprisingly convincing as ill-tempered Jack and his performance was a reminder of his range, since like De Niro, he seems to get stuck in light comedy roles lately.

Rebecca De Costa shines as “Rivka” the femme fatale. This movie may not be the breakout role for her, but it could be the movie that leads to her getting the breakout role. Overall, the Bag Man was engaging and enjoyable, especially if you’re a fan of crime thrillers, which I am.
  11. Mar 6, 2014
    The Bag Man is a modern day film noir crime story which is a great showcase for John Cusack as “Jack” the bagman, assigned to look after a mysterious leather satchel while hiding out at a seedy motel. Robert De Niro plays his crime boss and looks interesting with a silver pompadour, a la Paulie from the Sopranos.

The movie is definitely more sophisticated than a generic crime thriller
    with De Niro’s character quoting Herman Hesse and Sun Tzu. The motel Cusack hides out in is also filled with odd characters like the desk clerk played by Crispin Glover, a Serbian dwarf and a pimp with an eye patch. The tension of not knowing what’s in the bag works very well and there’s also lots of good action.

All in all, The Bag Man was a pretty enjoyable ride and had an offbeat sensibility that reminded me of the Coen brothers.
  12. Mar 6, 2014
    Not a bad first time effort from writer/director David Grovic, especially considering this was his first major motion picture. I really dug the neo-Film Noir vibe although the movie was so dark sometimes it was kind of hard to see what was going on in some scenes. De Niro was enjoyable as the crime boss, although it didn’t really seem like he stretched himself too much. Interesting casting with John Cusack as “The Bag Man.” I like seeing him step out of his usual light comic roles and playing it more straight. Perfect Crispin Glover role as the quirky desk clerk. He’s such an interesting actor, it’s too bad there aren’t more good parts for him. Rebecca De Costa was stunning obviously but also a good actress. I definitely expect to see her in more big roles this year. All in all, The Bag Man was a good time and a fun ride! Expand
  13. Mar 6, 2014
    Really interesting movie, loved the concept of the “mysterious bag” you don’t know what is in for almost the whole movie. Reminded me of the briefcase in Pulp Fiction and the whole movie had kind of a pseudo-Tarantino feel to it with all the oddball characters in the motel and De Niro as an intellectual gangster. John Cusack was pretty good, as usual. Bit of a strange part for him as I’m used to seeing him in comedies but he was pretty convincing as a tough guy. Maybe not a masterpiece, but it was entertaining and I was never bored. Expand
  14. Mar 6, 2014
    Loved it! Classic De Niro role as the gangster boss who quotes his college thesis. Loved seeing Jon Cusack as the “Bag Man”, reminded me of when he did Gross Point Blank, but more of a serious take on the part. Why doesn’t he play tough guys more often I wonder? He was really convincing in this part and it was a nice change from the kind of light comedy roles he always seems to play.

Anyway, great movie, lots of fun to watch and loved all the bizarre characters who inhabit this little motel. It is a bit dark, in terms of the lighting, but that kind of added to the modern day film noir vibe so it was okay by me.
  15. Mar 6, 2014
    It was pretty good, reminded me of a Quentin Tarantino movie with John Cusack instead of Travolta. Thought he was really believable as Jack, the bag man who gets in over his head and has to change the rules and turn the game around.

Robert De Niro was great as usual, this part was totally in his wheelhouse, playing the eccentric crime boss. Oh and Rebecca Da Costa was smoking hot! But
    seriously, she’s also a really good actress and I could see her becoming a really big star after this. And it doesn’t hurt that she’s hot.

Maybe not an instant classic, but I’d probably recommend “The Bag Man” to friends.
  16. Mar 5, 2014
    Really enjoyed seeing Rebecca da Costa on the big screen! She's an inspiration. De Niro and Cusack is always a good combo - a movie HAS to epic when the two of them join forces!
  17. Mar 3, 2014
    It was good, reminded me of a Tarantino movie with Cusack instead of Travolta. Thought he was really believable as Jack. De Niro & Crispin Glover were great as usual, playing uniquely eccentric characters. And while Rebecca Da Costa was smoking hot, she’s also a really good actress and I could see her becoming a star in her own right.

Maybe not an instant classic, but I’d recommend “The
    Bag Man” to friends. Expand
  18. Mar 3, 2014
  19. Mar 2, 2014
    Not a bad first time effort from writer/director David Grovic, especially considering this was his first major motion picture. I really liked the neo-Film Noir vibe although the movie was so dark sometimes it was kind of hard to see what was going on in some scenes. De Niro was enjoyable as the crime boss, a role that seemed tailor made for him. Interesting casting with John Cusack as “The Bag Man.” I like seeing him step out of his usual light comic roles and playing it more straight. Perfect Crispin Glover role as the quirky desk clerk. He’s such an interesting actor, it’s too bad there aren’t more good parts for him. Rebecca De Costa was stunning obviously but also a good actress. I definitely expect to see her in more big roles this year. All in all, The Bag Man was a good time and a fun ride! Expand
  20. Mar 2, 2014
    The Bag Man is a classic mcguffin type film however we actually learn what is In The Bag at the end. De Niro role is a gangster who has crazy quotes and demands that John Cusack retrieves a bag for him without looking inside.. Cusack is the "Bag Man", a serious role for him- he was a heavy and playing a tough guy. There are quite a few odd characters including a pimp and a midget that add some spice to the film. The acting was really strong and well done. The end has a great twist as well. Expand
  21. Mar 2, 2014
    I really liked it. It was fun to see Cusack and Glover together again. If you like heist movie or quentin movies, you'll like this one. Oh and De Niro! Let's not forget him. Oh, I guessed what was in the bag, but not specifically.
  22. Mar 2, 2014

The movie is definitely more sophisticated than a generic crime thriller

1. Reviewed by: Richard Roeper
    Mar 7, 2014
    What it looks like is warmed-over Tarantino mixed with a third-rate tribute to the Coen brothers with a dose of David Lynch-ian madness, two decades late to the party.
  2. Reviewed by: Michael O'Sullivan
    Mar 6, 2014
    The self-conscious affectation of the film would be funny, were it not so smug.
  3. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Mar 6, 2014
    The film has a nihilistic tone and its gallows humor may turn off more viewers than it seduces. Not since "Killer Joe" has a film exerted this mix of attraction and repulsion.