6.2

1. Dec 19, 2012
    This movie, like most found footage films these days, has its highs and its lows. Mostly lows. It documents a parasitic outbreak in a small town. The course of the outbreak is captured and the movie tracks several characters throughout the day. And that's it. Although the parasites are suitably disgusting and some of the scenes are quite tense, it's just not enough to carry a movie. There are no "wow" moments to really speak of. No real sense of creativity. And there is absolutely no payoff. The movie just sort of ends without any kind of resolution or finality. And to top it off, the one thing that I absolutely hated was the narrator. The girl who is supposed to guide the viewers through this traumatic event is about as lifeless as tree bark. Her monotone voice drones on and on and what's worse, she completely spoils any surprise. You see characters on screen then you hear her say "oh by the way, this person died later". Wow, way to build suspense. I say skip this one unless you're really bored and have an hour and a half to kill. Collapse
  2. Sep 16, 2013
    Without a doubt one of the worst horror films I have ever seen. Not only is this whole found footage thing so played out but it was so poorly done in this film that it was flat out laughable. And let's not forget that the acting was incredibly weak and it wasn't even scary! This is the kind of trash you expect from a straight to video release and not from a film that was released in theaters.
  3. Oct 5, 2013
    This movie was interesting in the beginning, but the level of interest stayed about the same. It wasn't scary, just full of nasty scenes.The narrator tells you who`s going to die before they die, she makes you feel like you`re watching the movie with some big mouth who saw it before. Also I get that it`s a Horror movie so the ending can`t be positive, but when the movie finished it felt incomplete. Expand
  4. Feb 15, 2013
    this film gives you no characters to invest in, leaving you no reason to care about the infection or the town and its inhabitants. this is recycled material, produced poorly. shame, was looking forward to it
  5. Mar 13, 2013
    The Bay carries on from where Blair Witch Project and Paranormal Activity left. Unfortunately it doesn't add anything new to the "lost footage"- horror genre that is already beaten to death. Characters lack depth, acting is mediocre at best, the story is inconsistent and offers nothing further to keep it interesting.
  6. Dec 29, 2013
    Consensus: There's nothing scary or interesting in The Bay. It's nothing more than a low budget documentary with some intense moments and an unnecessary forced Found-Footage. MY SCORE: 38/100 (D+) BAD Directed By Barry Levinson REVIEW: Directed by the Oscar winner Barry Levinson and produced by Jason Blum, The Bay premieres in 2012 in 23 theaters in the United States and only regained the joking number of $30.668k and counted with a budget of $1,500,000 USD. The truth I'm not surprised that this film was a failure, because The Bay is terrible film and a real waste of time, but we'll discuss later. I have to accept that the trailer is awesome as the plot and Barry Levinson is a very talented director, but the idea of ​​making this movie in Found-Footage just ruin it completely, because this is very executed along the 84min. The Bay use the Found-Footage style to develop a plot well explained and a smart idea, but Levinson forget the most important: the audience!, The Bay is nothing interesting or entertaining, the audience will not understand the plot because is very complex. The Bay had the potential to be one of the best horror movies of all time, but the Found-Footage is the main problem here. We turn to another issue: The performances are extremely terrible, exaggerated and nothing believable; The only performance that I like and was believable, dynamic and realistic I would say that was Kether Donohue (Pitch Perfect), because the film completely falls on her and one could say that she is the protagonist in The Bay. Another problem is the absence of fear, the film didn't cause me any feeling, (just boredom), and didn't cause me fear, disgust, tension, neither entertainment. The Bay has much originality but this is wasted by the silly idea of ​​making this movie in Found-Footage style, most of the characters are pathetic and poorly acted, the film lacks of moments of surprises, horror, suspense and tension; And clearly has a few scares, but most of the scares and surprises of The Bay are ruined by the trailer because the trailer show us all the few scares that the movie has. So in conclusion The Bay is for me one of the worst horror movies in Found-Footage I've seen, and it's not what it seems in the trailer, The Bay it's just a low-budget documentary, boring, forced, 84 minutes of anything entertaining, full of bad acting and a silly and unnecessary camera recording.

NICE: The plot is very original, the special effects, an occasional little scare, etc.

FAIL: The film has an unnecessary Found-Footage (I mean the cameras that are recording for no reason, everywhere), many of the performances, and The Bay fails trying to hide its low budget with cheap scares and unenjoyable gory images.

Watch This Movie If... you have very low expectations, also if you like documentaries, complex plots or if you want to see something different from all the new horror movies already made. Well I tell you that The Bay is a very good option for you.

Don't Watch This Movie If... you passionately love the Found-Footage genre, or if you're a fan of the Jump-Scares, extreme scares, etc... Also if you like movies like Paranormal Activity, Grave Encounters, etc... Don't see this movie! because it's probable that you will hate it, because it's very different of these.

Twitter: @MemoBosque Facebook: Guillermo Bosque Mendoza
    FULL REVIEW AT MY BLOG: www.MemoBosque.Blogspot.mx

1. Reviewed by: Matt Glasby
    Feb 16, 2013
    All prologue and no pay-off, but compelling all the same, this curio plays out like Diary Of The Dead with more diaries and fewer dead.
  2. Reviewed by: Roger Ebert
    Nov 7, 2012
    Although there are some scary moments here, and a lot of gruesome ones, this isn't a horror film so much as a faux eco-documentary.
  3. Reviewed by: Bill Goodykoontz
    Nov 6, 2012
    It's a small movie but an effective one, using found footage as a means to an end and not as an end in itself. More like it would be a welcome trend.