The Beach

8.1

1. Prolefty02@aol.com
    Jan 4, 2002
    I feel that this was one of DiCaprio's best films. I was sucked into it within the first 30 seconds, and couldn't look away until the last credit. I think that people have a hard time understanding this movie, because they are afraid to accept its theme. That is to let go of whats comfortable and step into the unknown.
  2. Jane
    Jan 6, 2005
    It takes a certain level of intellect and artistic respect to fully appreciate what The Beach has to offer. It feels almost rewarding to declare that I am one of those rare few who possess the prerequisites so sadly denied to such simple-minded blockbuster mainstream zombies...
  3. RaghuM.
    Jun 14, 2005
    Excellent movie thanks to a brilliant techno-score and Virginie Ledoyen.The visuals were brilliant and the film delivers decent acting.Though the ending is a little blown up,overall the movie is compelling,hypnotic and seductive.There are some light moments and the latter part of the film is picturized darkly.Good for a late night watch.
  4. Me
    Dec 9, 2004
    This movie is excellent. It helped me in life.
  5. TimR.
    Jan 25, 2007
    (Based on the Alex Garland Novel) The Beach is truly touching and compelling picture with a new-age lord of the flies feel entering the millennium, terrific music score and intriguing escape into the unknown, fantastic.
  6. Oct 16, 2012
    Excellent story with breathtaking scenery set in Thailand. Leo's character Richard is an American tourist and he embarks on an adventure to find a paradise island. But at what price? My favourite scenes are when Francoise pretends to be eaten by a shark, when they debate how they are to get down from the waterfall and the scene where they are together in the water. Excellent cast andExcellent story with breathtaking scenery set in Thailand. Leo's character Richard is an American tourist and he embarks on an adventure to find a paradise island. But at what price? My favourite scenes are when Francoise pretends to be eaten by a shark, when they debate how they are to get down from the waterfall and the scene where they are together in the water. Excellent cast and soundtrack. Directed by Danny Boyle. Expand
  7. NereidaC-D.
    Nov 10, 2001
    It was an OK movie, but I enjoyed the book. It was, and is, fantastic. I just wanted to know why wasn't the movie exactly like the book?
  8. Jul 9, 2011
    Excellent Movie. So it doesnt follow the book exactly but this movie gives fantasy and euphoria, its mesmerising. For those who lack imagination and adventure maybe they should give this a miss. Di Caprios acting is very good.
  9. Apr 11, 2013
    Not sure why this has always had such negative reviews. I find it a well made film set in beautiful locations. I know there was an uproar when it was filmed because of the affect on the environment in Thailand, but that shouldn't impact on the score the film gets.
  10. Jan 3, 2016
    Superb flik. I love the concept, Dicaprio excellent as always.

. . . . . . .
  11. BillG.
    Jun 11, 2003
    Has an actuall story to tell, entertaining and stylish. Does not deserve an as.hole rating of 2 fast 2 furious. All the wrong people are rating this movie.
  12. CraigB
    Aug 16, 2004
    I also do not understand why people have rated this movie so badly. Not having read the book (yet), I could not say how it stacks up, but movies rarely live up to expectations for those who have read the book. There is no way to pack as much into a two hour movie as a several hundred page book. The advantage of a movie is its ability to SHOW rather than merely DESCRIBE, and what this I also do not understand why people have rated this movie so badly. Not having read the book (yet), I could not say how it stacks up, but movies rarely live up to expectations for those who have read the book. There is no way to pack as much into a two hour movie as a several hundred page book. The advantage of a movie is its ability to SHOW rather than merely DESCRIBE, and what this movie shows is quite spectacular in terms of scenery and characters (Virginie Ledoyen is very sexy). I was fine with the ending but regardless of how one feels about the end, the bulk of this movie is compelling to watch. Sort of like a Lord of the Flies for adults. Expand
  13. May 26, 2013
    Recently re-watched this film and was surprised to see how well it had stood up to the test of time. The photography is drop-dead-gorgeous, the acting professional and convincing, and the film's central story of narcissism and disaffection still relevant.
  14. Feb 14, 2013
    The beach is a really touching story with dark and harrowing aspects to it, really well acted by Leo dicaprio. It almost seems like a modern tale of The Lord of flies but with adults, it asks the question what happens to humanity without order and civilisation? Ignoring the deep philosophical nature to this film, it is truly is a weird and wonderful watch.
  15. AndyB.
    Apr 17, 2001
    Viewed as a "B" movie that's strictly fodder for late-night cable, this movie ain't bad! I mean, the beach is beautiful, and a little escapist popcorn drama never hurt anyone. So what if the ending is less-than-stellar?
  16. Mar 13, 2015
    Leonardo DiCaprio rarely does bad films but The Beach is definitely one of the worst choices he's ever made in his career. He's fine in it, soundtrack is superb (every time I listen to "Porcelain" I remember this film) but the story is badly developed and characters are boring. Entertaining, yeah, but there are plenty more better films about adventures that are worth seeing.
  17. Apr 2, 2016
    Is it time to throw Leo to the lions? The Beach, in which Leonardo DiCaprio plays a backpacker in Thailand who thinks he has found a map to paradise, is going to piss off a lot of people just because he's in it. After his unprecedented Titanic splash two years ago, DiCaprio took a vacation from acting, presumably to party, but in the media he was a constant source of backlash-buildingIs it time to throw Leo to the lions? The Beach, in which Leonardo DiCaprio plays a backpacker in Thailand who thinks he has found a map to paradise, is going to piss off a lot of people just because he's in it. After his unprecedented Titanic splash two years ago, DiCaprio took a vacation from acting, presumably to party, but in the media he was a constant source of backlash-building fascination: all Leo, all the time. The Beach returns DiCaprio, 25, to the screen, not as the talented kid who held his own against Robert De Niro in 1993's This Boy's Life but as a Hollywood player with Titanic-size box-office clout.

And so The Beach comes to the screen freighted with enough Leo baggage to make the movie seem beside the point. It isn't. The Beach, for all its lapses of judgment and failures of nerve, has its strong points. DiCaprio is one of them. His Richard is a pop-culture junkie, constantly pushing the video games he plays to the next level of difficulty and living his life the same way. Traveling alone in Thailand, he checks into a Bangkok flophouse, where the night sounds include a sexy French couple — Francoise (Virginie Ledoyen) and Etienne (Guillaume Canet) — and a suicidal Scot named Daffy (Robert Carlyle), who rambles about a map to a perfect beach on a hidden island. The next day, Richard finds Daffy's bloody corpse and the map. Note: Daffy returns with a vengeance in dream sequences, one of which shows him and Richard gunning down tourists. Yikes.

It's a solid setup, faithful to Garland's book and alive with visuals that evoke Richard's Digital Age obsession with Vietnam movies, especially Apocalypse Now (clips are included), with its images of tracer fire and smoking grass through a rifle barrel. Boyle knows that Richard is Game Boy incarnate and directs the film with a video enthusiast's love for creating obstacles: Can Richard, along with Francoise and Etienne, swim to the island without being torn to pieces by sharks? Can they dodge the armed guards who protect marijuana fields lush enough to pop the peepers of Cheech and Chong? Can they find the small commune of young utopians who have established a stoner's paradise?

Of course they can, or there's no movie. The Beach is colorful and exciting, as far as it goes. But Boyle and Hodge pull back on their usual wit and grit. The actors — shirtless whenever possible — look suitably awed by the beach, which cinematographer Darius Khondji (Seven, Evita) lights almost as sensually as he does DiCaprio. Ledoyen has her own share of natural resources, and the eye contact between Francoise and Richard suggests that Etienne will soon be history. In the book, Richard's lust went unrequited, creating effective sexual tension. On film, he nails her, a decision motivated less by logic than by the divine right of stardom that Titanic conferred on Leo: If there's a babe, he boffs her.

That goes for another babe as well. The island commune is ruled by Sal, played by the superb British actress Tilda Swinton (Orlando, The War Zone). Sal is fortyish, with her own man, the jealous Bugs (Lars Arentz Hansen), and the tough job of keeping the peace. The settlers in this new Eden get testy when their video games break down due to dead batteries. On an Energizer run to the mainland, Sal brings Richard along as her sex slave. A way to exert her power? Maybe, but the lovemaking — not in the book — plays like another excuse to depant DiCaprio.

These extraneous scenes let the air out of the movie. Just when the suspense should be escalating, The Beach stops to raise familiar moral questions about the sins of man and technology. Things improve when Richard becomes unhinged. Put on sentry duty by Sal, he has violent hallucinations that turn real when the island's drug commandos mow down a new crop of backpacking intruders. Richard, seeing himself as a pawn in his own video game, runs to save his ass.

DiCaprio delivers strongly, showing Richard as selfish, manipulative, cowardly and dangerously naive — all of which makes the young man's hard-won maturity in the end more affecting. But Richard is the only flesh-and-blood character in a sea of stereotypes. Why don't these travel freaks get bored to death with being bogged down on the beach? The movie has no clue. Instead of a breakneck pace, it settles for lofty attitudinizing about the nature of betrayal. Instead of the book's climactic Lord of the Flies mutilation, it offers a derivative Deer Hunter game of Russian roulette. Don't blame DiCaprio, who seems eager to explore Richard's heart of darkness. It's the movie that wants to protect its investment. The Beach, designed to provoke audiences, stops for too many Hollywood moments to get the job done. Penalty. Game over.
  18. Olly
    Jan 8, 2003
    Having read the book I have to say I am perplexed why the film makers didn't follow the darker themes explored in the book. The book was dark and fascinating and un-putdownable. The film is far too light-weight and cute and has to throw in a De Caprio love triangle just to keep the Hollywood execs happy.
  19. Feb 23, 2013
    The Beach should have been called The Cute Guy From Titanic Takes His Cloths Off. "Leo" got a very big following after being in the then best grossing film of all time, Titanic. It was an amazing film and he did a great job, but unfortunately for us horny Americans, there wasn't enough skin. That's where The Beach comes in. This was a rush job plain and simple. The movie has no flow orThe Beach should have been called The Cute Guy From Titanic Takes His Cloths Off. "Leo" got a very big following after being in the then best grossing film of all time, Titanic. It was an amazing film and he did a great job, but unfortunately for us horny Americans, there wasn't enough skin. That's where The Beach comes in. This was a rush job plain and simple. The movie has no flow or plot, it's big sell was Leo DiCaprio on The Beach wearing very little. Honestly he should have just done a magazine shoot and saved us the time, because this movie isn't worth the film it is shot on. Unless you want to see lots of Leo with his shirt off, this movie is a definite pass. Expand
  20. Jan 5, 2014
    Não grande coisa fraco até demais.
  21. RyanM.
    May 28, 2001
    It's first half is very compelling and hypnotic and you want to see what's next. But if you knew what was next you would turn it off in a second.
  22. Nov 29, 2011
    One of the most terrible films I've ever seen. Very degrading to the country and its culture. Nonsense plot and terrible acting. I couldn't hate anything more. Very stupid movie. I regret spending that much time to watch it

1. It doesn't really come off, but it's an admirably ambitious, and mostly very engaging, coming-of-age adventure that apes the spirit of Joseph Conrad.
  2. USA Today
    Reviewed by: Mike Clark
    Murky, pretentious and torturously inert.
  3. Chicago Tribune
    Reviewed by: Michael Wilmington
    Tries to take us from heaven to hell but winds up leaving us in limbo: exasperated and dumfounded.