6.5

1. May 6, 2011
    I've always known Mel Gibson was a talented actor but I had no idea to what degree until I saw this film. His portrayal of Walter Black is ineffably poignant and Oscar worthy in my humble opinion. Kudos to Jodie Foster for pulling off a film that took great courage to make.
  2. May 6, 2011
    Personally, I'm tired of all the hypocritical and gratuitous Mel Gibson bashing. I really enjoyed this film and highly recommend it to anyone that is tired of the typical Hollywood fare.
  3. May 6, 2011
    I went to go see this movie because I'm a Jodie Foster fan but what really impressed me was Mel Gibson. There is already some preliminary Oscar buzz surrounding Mel's performance which is little surprise after seeing what he invested in this very unusual role.
  4. May 6, 2011
    When it comes to Mel Gibson, there seems to be a ton of hate masqerading as righteous indignation these days. Quite honestly, this is an excellent film and I hope that people don't let the controversy surrounding Gibson's personal life get in the way of appreciating an exceedingly well crafted story that deserves to be seen.
  5. May 8, 2011
    Why isn't this movie playing in more theaters? I had to drive two hours just to see it but I must say the trip was worth it. Jodie Foster is an awesome director and actress. Her screen chemistry with Mel Gibson is undeniable as these two were both great in Maverick together as well.
  6. May 13, 2011
    This film shatters many of the preconceptions and clichés about depression. Definitely a pleasant departure from most of the formulaic garbage that is out there at the moment. This review pretty much says it all: http://bit.ly/ifOy74
  7. Mar 24, 2012
    Rented The Beaver from the local RedBox because there was nothing else to watch and I was amazed how good this film is. To be honest, it was far better than The Descendants with George Clooney. Both films are similar in that they deal with issues of depression and the struggle for identity. What I find weird is that Mel Gibson's performance in The Beaver is unlike anything I have seen in recent years but George Clooney's performance in The Descendants is pretty bland. Gibson should have at least been nominated for a Golden Globe or an Oscar for his heartfelt and unnerving portrayal of Walter Black but I guess Mel has been ostracized by the Hollywood clique so no chance of that. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Jun 24, 2011
    The Beaver also has a tendency to slip around as it finds its footing. But then the powerful third act comes and Foster, with Gibson's help, hits it home.
  2. Reviewed by: David Ehrlich
    Jun 18, 2011
    An awkward stew between "American Beauty" and "Harvey" that only touches a nerve at the eleventh hour.
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Jun 18, 2011
    The film has a huge heart, and it's in the right place.