5.5

1. Chris
    Apr 8, 2006
    It is sup super cool...and heder does a good job and so does schneider...i recommend it to anyone who loves a good laugh!
  2. Feb 17, 2011
    Funny a** movie, one of my all time favorite comedies of all time! I couldn't stop laughing at a lot of parts in the movie and definitely not worth the 25 score, more of above 65 at least, I'd give it a high score.
  3. Jun 17, 2011
    A really crappy film. Although I did chuckle a few times, it was not enough to dignify sitting for some hour and a half. The movie is cliched, horribly acted, and horribly scripted. It fails on nearly all levels, and is not worth your time. See an actual comedy, and not this crap.
  4. B4reel
    Apr 9, 2006
    The good reviews herein were paid for -- unless a bunch of Special Olympians got on-line after watching this waste of time -- can I get my two hours back? The person resposible should be sent to prison for every hour wasted....
  5. Tony
    Feb 18, 2008
    A fast paced reasonably entertaining movie with a few funny moments. I could have done without the potty humor, since it had all been done before and everytime I was done in this movie it seemed forced.
  6. MattH.
    Jun 20, 2007
    Beginning to notice pattern here. how come some moron comes on Metacritic and gives something a 10 because everyone rubbished it......... given it a 3, there was a couple of times i did laugh out loud, but this on the whole is terrible. Anyone who believes that it is worthy of more than a 3, thats fine, but i just want to point out, robot butler! end of discussion.
  7. LaurieS.
    Apr 6, 2006
    Really funny and unique. Nick Swardson character is outrageous and Scheider is so likeable. Definately worth seeing, lots of laughs!
  8. krisj.
    Apr 7, 2006
    This movie is a stinker.
  9. ChrisD.
    Apr 8, 2006
    People say this movie stinks?!?!?!...no way it rocks my socks.
  10. EricY.
    Apr 9, 2006
    *This movie is not NAPOLEON DYNAMITE!* Everyone who is giving this movie low scores must have thought that they were going to see Napoleon Dynamite 2. Sorry if you were disappointed, but the movie was freaking hilarious. I was laughing so hard. This movie is my kind of humor. It's a shame that the critics give it such low scores. Don't pay attention to them. The movie *This movie is not NAPOLEON DYNAMITE!* Everyone who is giving this movie low scores must have thought that they were going to see Napoleon Dynamite 2. Sorry if you were disappointed, but the movie was freaking hilarious. I was laughing so hard. This movie is my kind of humor. It's a shame that the critics give it such low scores. Don't pay attention to them. The movie wasn't screened for critics, so the low scores are probably their way at getting back at the makers of the movie. (You didn't get your pre-screen viewing of the movie, WAAHH!) Anyway, if you like movies that Adam Sandler's company makes, you will love this movie. One of the funniest I've seen in a while. I'll probably go back and see it a few more times while waiting to buy the DVD. Expand
  11. MyName
    May 4, 2006
    You either love it or hate it. I loved it.
  12. BeckyK
    Oct 25, 2006
    To those of you rating this movie as though it should rival Shakespeare...don
  13. JohnL.
    Oct 4, 2006
    Whats wrong with the people who gave this a ten? Its absolute garbage! I couldn
  14. LD
    Apr 11, 2006
    It's gotta be taken for what it was... a stupid slapstick comedy... nobody can expect the critics to love it. I only have two complaints though: 1. Rob Schneider cannot pull off a studly character in a serious role. 2. While I loved Napoleon Dynamite, Jon Heder needs to quit the voice.
  15. JohnH.
    Apr 10, 2006
    The same people who enjoy movies like this are the ones who watch MTV. Burned! Seriously, half the eighth-graders in my Spanish class saw it over the weekend, and they all loved it. If a movie is marketed to average 14 year olds, there can be no doubt of its quality. (What quality? Burned again!)
  16. DonutY.
    Apr 15, 2006
    No, just no. I saw this movie since Scary Movie was sold out hoping this would of been funny...it wasn't. My buddies and I walked out on this thing, there was probably 2-3 moments that made me laugh, but then they reused those 2-3 moments over and over and over. Worst movie I have seen in awhile, first movie I have actually walked out on.
  17. RandyM.
    Apr 5, 2006
    This movie is GREAT!! I laughed my butt off.
  18. robertj.
    It rocked.
  19. mes.
    Apr 6, 2006
    Awsome movie, well worth seeing.
  20. SH
    Apr 7, 2006
    BAD REVIEWS!!! That's dumb this is the best movie ever!!
  21. Zartomagnifico
    Apr 7, 2006
    I am very, very dssapointed that I am not able to give a score lower than a zero as a rating for this god-forsaken abomination of a film. I am a big Napoleon fan and a big fan of this directors work on Adam Sandler's first two feature films (especially Happy Gilmore). That being said, this movie is pure garbage. As my brother put it (who saw it with me) "that was The Matrix of bad I am very, very dssapointed that I am not able to give a score lower than a zero as a rating for this god-forsaken abomination of a film. I am a big Napoleon fan and a big fan of this directors work on Adam Sandler's first two feature films (especially Happy Gilmore). That being said, this movie is pure garbage. As my brother put it (who saw it with me) "that was The Matrix of bad movies...it defied all boundries of how bad you thought a movie could be. The saddest part of it is to me, that this could be the fastest falling a new star, in Jon Heder, in the history of Hollywood. The only saving grace for me while seeing this film, was that I got to see it in a theatre that serves beer and nachos. Expand
  22. MarkS.
    It has its moments.
  23. MattG.
    Apr 9, 2006
    I laughed maybe twice. It just wasn't funny, and normally I laugh at movies like this.
  24. Jamie
    Jul 30, 2006
    This was just like Napoleon dynamite! Plus it had the guy from Napoleon. The only thing I didn't like was that it was a happy madison production with rob schnider and adam sandler wasnt in it. They have been in eachother's movies since waterboy!
  25. MarkA.
    Apr 1, 2008
    I'm no fan of Rob Schnieder, and I usually hate Sandler's films, but Benchwarmers made me laugh more times than I can count. A great deal of that credit goes to Jon Lovitz as Mel Schmegmer, "a nerd who grew up - TO MAKE MILLIONS!" This is a film for anyone who's ever been picked on (or picked last) in sports.
  26. NathanS.
    Apr 13, 2006
    Me and my friend wanted to see this movie on my birthday. I went online and saw some reviews, and most of the users thought it was hilarious (at yahoo.com anyway). Well, turns out it was a suprise party, and like 6 other friends showed up. The bad part? The movie sucked. A complete waste of all our money. I'm a fan of funny movies (scary movie), but this movie went too far with the Me and my friend wanted to see this movie on my birthday. I went online and saw some reviews, and most of the users thought it was hilarious (at yahoo.com anyway). Well, turns out it was a suprise party, and like 6 other friends showed up. The bad part? The movie sucked. A complete waste of all our money. I'm a fan of funny movies (scary movie), but this movie went too far with the gay humor and just didnt deliver with the laughs it promised. Maybe worth a rent on dvd, MAYBE. But definitly not worth seeing at the theaters. Expand
  27. JessR.
    Apr 23, 2006
    I thought it was hillarious. I compared it to Dodge Ball, I mean these are the actors we all know and love. I would see it again.
  28. HarryB.
    Apr 23, 2006
    I had high hopes for this movie as Rob Schneider can be either super hilarious (Hot Chick, Deuce Bigalow) or completely lame (the Animal, Deuce 2 ). Benchwarmers unfortunately was the latter. There were only three funny parts in the whole movie and the rebirth of Napoleon Dynamite sucked. The actor just played the same character as in ND but was so boring and unfunny. What really kills I had high hopes for this movie as Rob Schneider can be either super hilarious (Hot Chick, Deuce Bigalow) or completely lame (the Animal, Deuce 2 ). Benchwarmers unfortunately was the latter. There were only three funny parts in the whole movie and the rebirth of Napoleon Dynamite sucked. The actor just played the same character as in ND but was so boring and unfunny. What really kills this movie is that it's a FAMILY MOVIE. Happy ending, positive message and all the wholesome BS that stifles creative comedy and in particular Rob Schneider' and David Spade's genius. Don't see this movie. It's a waste of time and money and talent. Expand
  29. Paul
    Apr 25, 2006
    It was actually pretty funny, but the plot was pretty childish for a PG-13 movie. But overall it was decent.
  30. RachelW.
    Apr 6, 2006
    Very entertaining movie. Great to see the SNL old favorites and some great new young talent. As a parents this movie has a great message for kids masked in a bunch of gross humor. Great for the whole family!
  31. andrewh.
    Apr 7, 2006
    That whus the best move ever john plade vary good it whus beatter than all of the others dont coment my computer is not werking at the moment im at my friends home.
    Apr 7, 2006
    Awful and predictable. Jon heder need to stop going for the stupid guy roles.
  33. KP
    Apr 7, 2006
    Simply terrible, nothing more to say.
  34. ansleyt.
    Apr 7, 2006
    Reminds me of napoleon dynamite. funny, and unappreciated...
  35. MikeH.
    Apr 7, 2006
    The absolute worst. Old jokes that weren't funny when they were new. A rehash of Revenge of the Nerds. David Spade is insuffesrable.
  36. AaronM.
    Apr 8, 2006
    There's only one way to say it. This is the worst movie I've ever seen.
  37. AB.
    Apr 8, 2006
    It was one of the funniest movie's i've ever seen! it was sooooo good!
  38. LauraE.
    Apr 9, 2006
    i loved this movie. although it is one of those stupid funny movies, it is still funny. rob schneider actually looks relatively decent in this movie, and jon heder and david spade are adorable as your stereotypical nerds. the agoraphobic brother running at girl guides with a plastic sword really takes the cake in this movie. its funny, moronic, and charming.
  39. kii.
    May 11, 2006
    This movie rocks. make a second!
  40. JayS.
    May 1, 2006
    In my opinion this is the best movie EVER! I didnt stop laughing the whole time. And to top it off, it had the dude from napoleon dynamite. I have not EVER liked 1 rob schnieder movie, untill now. Could he be turning his career around?
  41. MikeD.
    May 16, 2006
    What a crap movie. Only the fart jokes are funny and mildly at that. Don't waste your money...even renting it.
  42. KeeganH.
    May 23, 2006
    this movie was hilarious, i would watch it any day.
  43. NickM.
    Aug 14, 2006
    I thought this movie was very funny, not a comic masterpeice like monty python and the holy grail, but still, awsome movie for a good laugh.
  44. Saige
    Aug 23, 2006
    It wasn't as good as others, but I thought this movie was good for a few quick laughs.
  45. ChadM.
    Aug 28, 2006
    Comedies are tough to rate because it can't be considered in the same vein as a 6 that is a drama, because you are looking for two different things. For instance in a light comedy such as this you are not looking for Oscar worthy acting or a riveting plot, you just want a few laughs and for it to stay entertaining for the whole of the movie, which this does very well. Certainly worth Comedies are tough to rate because it can't be considered in the same vein as a 6 that is a drama, because you are looking for two different things. For instance in a light comedy such as this you are not looking for Oscar worthy acting or a riveting plot, you just want a few laughs and for it to stay entertaining for the whole of the movie, which this does very well. Certainly worth the rental cost. Expand
  46. BobbiD.
    Aug 4, 2006
    this has to be the funnest movie of all times it a must see movie!
  47. Megank
    Jun 27, 2007
    this is my FAVORITE movie!!!! MAKERS OF WHAT. . . POOP haha what kinda loser doesn't think thats funny!! I loved it!!!!!
  48. AdamR
    Aug 30, 2007
    Metacritic just doesn't like this kind of movie! What is wrong with the people who gave it a zero! No movie is a zero! Hilarious movie!
  49. Daz
    Sep 2, 2007
    God saw this over Xmen 3 since one of us hadn't seen any X men, god this is awful you have to be very young to enjoy this movie, its just so mediocre and absolutely no laugh out load moments.
  50. EdgarC.
    Sep 25, 2007
    I went into this movie thinking it was gonna be pretty dumb, but I was wrong. The movie pulled off some really funny stunts and some bathroom humor, but manages to stay mostly clean for younger audiences.
  51. JC
    May 30, 2008
    This is hilarious. I haven't even watched it ten times and I know almost half the words and lines in the movies.
  52. BobbyJ.
    Jan 16, 2010
    A funny, gross movie! Should make a sequel!
  53. PeterJ.
    Dec 14, 2006
    Let's be honest. This was not the greatest movie, but it does not deserve the low scores it has received. Every once in a while it is refreshing to watch something like this. It obviously does not deserve a 10, but it surely does not deserve anything less than a 4. I give it a solid 6.
  54. Zach
    Dec 17, 2006
    Wow, this movie is seriously bad. I've seen people saying stuff that like you can't rate this on the same level as a drama and what not. They're right. However, I'm not. I'm rating this as a comedy. I maybe somewhat laughed once; the rest of the time I just kept thinking "How much worse can this get?" The only redeeming factor is that it is less than 90 minutes. Wow, this movie is seriously bad. I've seen people saying stuff that like you can't rate this on the same level as a drama and what not. They're right. However, I'm not. I'm rating this as a comedy. I maybe somewhat laughed once; the rest of the time I just kept thinking "How much worse can this get?" The only redeeming factor is that it is less than 90 minutes. That still doesn't do enough to help it to even a 1. Save your money, and don't rent this. You'll regret it. Expand
  55. JoeMama
    Apr 15, 2006
    Most people thought this movie was stupid, but funny. I disagree. I thought it was stupid and NOT funny. Schneider had no funny lines and the comedy was immature, even though my 7 year old brother didn't think it was funny either.
  56. CraigL.
    Apr 22, 2006
    I'm stunned that this film was made at all, an executive in a studio signed off on it, funds were raised to produce it and pay the actors. Seriously, I could have written the script when I was in 5th grade--on a bad day. Just plan terrible, I don't know what to say. I wasn't expecting "The Godfather" when I took my seat, but really, how many fart jokes can I handle in one I'm stunned that this film was made at all, an executive in a studio signed off on it, funds were raised to produce it and pay the actors. Seriously, I could have written the script when I was in 5th grade--on a bad day. Just plan terrible, I don't know what to say. I wasn't expecting "The Godfather" when I took my seat, but really, how many fart jokes can I handle in one movie? All of the "heroes" get the hot girls, while the villains are latent homosexuals. Really nothing redeeming in this film, except for the preview for "Nacho Libre" before the movie started. It was all downhill from there. Expand
  57. NateW.
    Jul 31, 2006
    Entertaining enough and good for a cheap laugh.
  58. Bryan
    Aug 14, 2008
    This is truly one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The plot is nonsensical and predictable, the use of words like "gay" and "retard" is embarrassing, and of course it makes fun of midgets. I don't believe for a minute that it's supposed to be anti-bully. Just about EVERYTHING in the movie is terrible... except for "Howie." He made me chuckle once or twice.
  59. Nov 30, 2011
    One hilarious movie, Happy Madison had done it again, it even manages to sneak some morals about not bullying others in with the laughs, if you are a fans of comedies then this is a must watch, it's just really fantastic, I highly recommend.
  60. Feb 2, 2011
    If there is an award for adolecent, crude juvenile movies made for 13 year olds and younger, then the benchwarmers will take that reward proudly and won't look back.But if your in the mood for a crass,potty mouthed film filled with nonstop fart and diereah jokes,then you will enjoy it.
  61. Nov 27, 2011
    The Benchwarmers is really funny. There were some parts where I simply could not stop laughing. It has some very memorable jokes that I may never forget.
  62. Jan 22, 2012
    There are a lot of hilarious parts in the begining of the film yet it one again falls victim to the curse of sappy and corny comedies. The sappiness and cornyness definently hurt the film big time but I still enjoyed it for the most part.
  63. Nov 28, 2012
    It's rather stupid, but there's also something almost pathetically hilarious about a lot of the comedy within it.
  64. Mar 17, 2013
    The jokes may be considered hollow and immature but the Benchwarmers has some great gut-busting moments mostly involving Heder's stupidity. It's a stupid comedy and claims to be nothing more, it's strong anti-bullying message is to be admired and a decent cast plays to their strengths on the baseball field. The fart jokes and crude humour may tire the older viewers and those with 'highThe jokes may be considered hollow and immature but the Benchwarmers has some great gut-busting moments mostly involving Heder's stupidity. It's a stupid comedy and claims to be nothing more, it's strong anti-bullying message is to be admired and a decent cast plays to their strengths on the baseball field. The fart jokes and crude humour may tire the older viewers and those with 'high morals' but for the rest of us? a cracking good movie. Expand
  65. Sep 7, 2014
    I think it's a pretty good movie with lots of funny stuff in it. It's basically all slapstick humor, so if you're looking for a more intelligent or smart comedy, look elsewhere, but if you're looking for a stupid comedy, you've found the right movie.
  66. Mar 18, 2015
    Despite this low score The Benchwarmers is semi funny. There are several occasions where I found myself laughing at this movie. However, that does not necessarily make it good. Adam Sandler's Happy Madison productions company was responsible for this film and it stars some of Adam Sandler common colleagues. David Spade and Rob Schneider have worked with Sandler on numerous occasions. SpadeDespite this low score The Benchwarmers is semi funny. There are several occasions where I found myself laughing at this movie. However, that does not necessarily make it good. Adam Sandler's Happy Madison productions company was responsible for this film and it stars some of Adam Sandler common colleagues. David Spade and Rob Schneider have worked with Sandler on numerous occasions. Spade and Jon Heder were fairly funny throughout the film, but Schneider does not work as the sensible guy. I think his acting in this movie is awful. Its like he is in an infomercial from the 1990's. Its just hard to take this guy seriously after all the stupid roles Sandler made him play in movies like Big Daddy. The movie is really not very well written and although its funny, the world doesn't really need it. Expand

This formulaic mess of sports-movie cliches and self-esteem claptrap contains a couple of funny bits, but you have to slog through a lot of done-to-death bodily function jokes to get to them.
  2. You have to credit the filmmakers for at least acknowledging their level of dreck during the final credits, when Lovitz rhetorically asks, "This was a complete waste of time, wasn't it?"
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Leydon
    Under Dennis Dugan's rote direction, Schneider winds up playing straight man to Spade, who once again relies on his snarky coward shtick, and Heder, who comes across like someone doing a bad imitation of ... well, Heder himself in "Napoleon Dynamite."