7.7

1. May 5, 2012
    Great cast playing off one another effortlessly and a nice story. The audience applauded at the end, people genuinely happy that they had gone to see the movie on it's first day out.
  2. May 10, 2012
    An absolutely delightful and pleasurable movie to watch. Let it make your day. Superlative cast of characters taking you to an exotic location. The cream of the British acting aristocracy. Music byThomas Newman directed by Madden. No computer effects, no botox. Just a pleasure to watch and enjoy!

The audience actually applauded for the joy they had been given,
  3. May 4, 2012
    The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, is an interesting movie, that have an interesting and great plot, the development is really fantastic, and the characters are incredible. This movie is really interesting.
  4. May 11, 2012
    Open your bag of popcorn, take a sip of your soda and get ready to spend enjoyable time
    some of the cream of the crop British actors in â
  5. May 12, 2012
    This novelistic tour-de-force takes us to the Anglo-Indian genre of E.M. Foster's "Passage to India," but in modern, post colonial dress. It is literate, funny, and a reminder of what great acting and warm humanity can mean in a film - as opposed to robots and aliens romping in 3-D.
  6. May 28, 2012
    This movie is like a really well made martini - certainly predictable - but thoroughly enjoyable. Delightful ensemble of seasoned professional actors who could make reading an Ikea assembly manual compelling, beautiful location for filming (only wish we saw more of it,) a nice dash of socially progressive. Uplifting and warm, it will inspire a variety of post-movie conversations about foreign retirement options for anyone over 40. Expand
  7. Jun 7, 2012
    I Have a decent tolerance for sweetness in a story, so I didn't squirm when it became obvious where this was headed, and you would have to be foolish to expect otherwise from such British standards. Aside from that, this was a joy to watch. Almost every shot was planned in a way that delivered extra beauty or emotional punch. There was no sense that India was used only for background, the location was in every shot with gorgeous light, grunge and authenticity. And I am glad to be alive in a time where such elderly talent can employed as the focus of the story rather than a comic or tragic sidetrip. Revelatory, really. Humorous, touching, and intimate. My only gripe is that there were too many storylines, and I could've easily done without the romance by the younger Indian couple (the fact that their dialog was delivered in English didn't help). But to carp about this misses the point, that this was made in an EPIC manner.... the art direction and photography were STUNNING and there is plenty to enjoy in the story and quality acting. Like many movies, I only think it would've been stronger if it was 15 minutes shorter. Expand
  8. May 11, 2012
    Wonderful how they communicate what happens in India when westerns first land there, I've never seen a movie put it so well like this one. The images, the reactions, the needed adaptations - and the spirit of each one when facing it. I liked very much the insights that go inside the seven main characters and their relationships with themselves, with aging and with what's suddenly highlighted but the colors of India. Great movie. Expand
  9. Jul 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After seeing this film advertised on TV I decided to see what the fuss was about. I began watching it although I thought there was a slow start to it I found it enjoyable to watch. However, around 65minutes into the film I had to turn the film off due to distractions (visitors) I then left it for a few days before finishing watching it. I wouldn't usually go back to a film after only half watching it but there was something different about this film that made me want to see how it finished. The film gave a insight into each characters life at the beginning which made you feel closer to the characters throughout. As I am British I found it great how I could recognise the actors/actresses. I believe Judi Dench really made this film what it is, great acting and she really shows good emotion in her speaking. Overall Wonderful film and certainly a must see film. Expand
  10. Jul 1, 2013
    The film's only flaw of predictability is heavily outweighed by the wondrous performances of the film's superb cast and beautiful setting. It's genuine, sweet, and even has a bit of humor!
  11. Nov 27, 2012
    One is never too old to take a risk and experience something new. This movie is a real life story of people who dare to confront their destinies and tell it's not over. It is a story that changes lives and fulfills dreams. But more than just a lesson, it is life itself with all the good and bad things.
  12. Dec 4, 2012
    This is a sweet, poignant, warmly funny, character driven movie that I can recommend highly since it is not a quick action, car chase, explosive, fight filled, special effects film. You have to devote some easy time to become familiar with these older people and yes, older people have problems of their own that are just as worthy and significant to them as ours are to us. When all too often movies are made to to provide some type of satisfaction quickly before we become bored, this film moves along slowly drawing you in to caring about these people. It takes more devoting of time by the viewer than the normal action movie but it's worth it. I wish they made more movies like this. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    May 18, 2012
    An uplifting and colorful crowd-pleaser, it's built on a wealth of cinematic contrivances -- all designed to make sure things, indeed, turn out all right in the end -- but the result is just too good-natured to begrudge.
  2. Reviewed by: Bilge Ebiri
    May 11, 2012
    For all its calculation and manipulation, there's a very human movie somewhere within Marigold Hotel. You might just have to wade through a thousand clich├ęs to get to it.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    May 11, 2012
    Lacking beef or sufficient spice, it's nonetheless colorful comfort food.