Lions Gate Films | Release Date: April 28, 2000
7.2
Generally favorable reviews based on 14 Ratings
Watch Now
oxanaJan 3, 2015
A dialogue-filled, steady movie. There's often depth in the discussions, and other than that, some very clever, ironic, fun things said by Larry (Spacey). The topics slide together smoothly, one after another, which is the appeal of thisA dialogue-filled, steady movie. There's often depth in the discussions, and other than that, some very clever, ironic, fun things said by Larry (Spacey). The topics slide together smoothly, one after another, which is the appeal of this movie I think. All in all, though, the matters of religion that were pushed in by the end of the movie didn't really appeal to me, and the movie in itself is about the connection/reactions between three men - and that's pretty much all there is to the plot. A good watch, good acting, but not really my type of movie all in all. Expand
YorkManAug 11, 2016
Interesting film, but incredibly reliant on its source material (a stage play) which does lessen the 'closeness' that a live audience would have.
There's good and bad in that. The good points are the core performances of the three leads, all share screen time and all commit to their characters. The narrative is strong, with discussions of religion, life, death, overcoming adversity, and accepting failures. It works well.
The bad points are that the structure doesn't suit a film. As a single set stage-play I would imagine it would be far more electrifying, but over 90 minutes there are long scenes that do lag. Also there was (for me anyway) a muddled subtext. It's clear that the three characters are all meant to have their own sensibilities and we get to understand them, but the pay off at the end is somewhat anticlimactic. As such the movie fails to 'work', even if it's worth watching.