2.9

1. TimR.
    Jul 7, 2007
    I seemed to be the only person giving this a good review. I loved this film for the vintage noir feel it had to it and i thought it to be well acted and engaging. However i thought the ending left something to be desired and ultimately lacked the strength the rest of the movie had. In any case i enjoyed it.
  2. ES
    Oct 15, 2006
    A brave bit of storytelling, brazenly un-PC, my favorite of the recent rash of pulp movies. Also lovely to see real cinematic ability on display here -- even Scorsese's latest movie is obviously a product of the MTV generation, while this movie could have been made during the Golden Age of cinema. Standouts are Aaron Eckhart, whose '40s throwback performance layered with A brave bit of storytelling, brazenly un-PC, my favorite of the recent rash of pulp movies. Also lovely to see real cinematic ability on display here -- even Scorsese's latest movie is obviously a product of the MTV generation, while this movie could have been made during the Golden Age of cinema. Standouts are Aaron Eckhart, whose '40s throwback performance layered with '90s indie naturalism stole the show, and William Finley's small but very important role was a pleasant surprise. It was a real pleasure to see the Phantom of the Paradise himself onscreen again. I'll agree with most that Hartnett and Johansson very nearly ruined this film's chances, but the movie is too solid overall to be discounted. See it in a theater for the full effect! Expand
  3. Jay
    Sep 16, 2006
    Crude, hilarious and thrilling! Do not listen to the bad reviews. This is one of the loopiest movies I've seen in ages - and the ending will make your eyes pop out. Go!
  4. CharlieN.
    Jan 24, 2007
    Incredibly underrated. I loved so much about this movie, it's great to look at, it's interesting, and the atmosphere is top notch. The ending is a little confusing, but other than that I loved it!

1. The second half feels heavy and unfulfilled, potential greatness reduced to a good movie plagued with problems.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    "Chinatown" it ain't, not in any department. On its own level, however, new pic generates a reasonable degree of intrigue.
    The picture is a kind of fattened goose that's been stuffed with goose-liver pâté. It's overrich and fundamentally unsatisfying.