7.3

1. Nov 9, 2011
    The Hughes Brothers' "The Book of Eli" is a entertaining movie with a solid grim tone and quick, fast paced action. However, it could have done so much more than consistently managing it's apocalyptic mood...
  2. KeijiM.
    Jan 31, 2010
    What is really interesting about this movie is the contrasting views on religion(Christianity) as being a dangerous in that people will follow and put too much faith in it(Carnegie's idea). And the other that people need something to have faith in no matter how desperate or bleak the situation(Eli). It gives you something to think about but overall the movie itself is rather slow. What is really interesting about this movie is the contrasting views on religion(Christianity) as being a dangerous in that people will follow and put too much faith in it(Carnegie's idea). And the other that people need something to have faith in no matter how desperate or bleak the situation(Eli). It gives you something to think about but overall the movie itself is rather slow. The action in the trailers is about all the action you get in the actual movie. really an average movie. not terrible but not a must see. Expand
  3. 43%Burnt
    Jan 16, 2010
    Denzel is great, I'm always happy to see him un a fresh movie. But as for the movie itself - huge disappointment:the plot has giant loopholes, a lot of questions remain unanswered. And the general religious message is rather silly, considering all the gun-blazing head-chopping action going on screen.
  4. lboyd
    Jan 16, 2010
    The Book of Eli", should have been titled "The book of Insufferable Naval-gazing", what a horribly dull nonsensical "movie"! Instant Walmart $5.00 bin farce!
  5. billd
    Jan 18, 2010
    So overtly a religious film it's sad. One really bad thing was the bible in braille, anyone with half a brain can de-code the alphabet from braille. It's just another god and good violence in his name is ok. Who do they think they fooled, oh, you I guess.
  6. AlexisT
    Jan 19, 2010
    This was great if you are a Christian. IT was horrid, slow and the action sequences looked better on the preview. And the amazing twist at the end? Not even worth it.
  7. Feb 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers. Decent post-apocalyptic movie. Washington's acting is good, Gary Oldman is so-so as villain (I consider him a real chameleon actor, who can play brilliant villains, but here the character He portrays is somewhat weak). The twist of the movie is totally unrealistic (Yeah I get it, but anyway it is very unrealistic). Overall it worth a look, but that all. Ps: I do not like how American centric the movie was. I am sure there are a lot more Bibles in Europe, that survived, so Eli hardly saved the last remaining one (It might be the last one there, but the world is a lot bigger place than that.), Collapse
  8. FelixK.
    Feb 23, 2010
    The film is a piece of christian propaganda. The twist that happens made every scene before unrealistic. Yes... he is the saviour himself... he can do it... *yawn*.
  9. MarkA.
    Jan 16, 2010
    Denzel and Oldman are great but..... How many times has some variation of this plot been used in a movie? Originality be damned full speed ahead.
  10. DR
    Feb 5, 2010
    This movie is the greatest, most inspirational movie that I have seen. It completely renewed my faith in movies to see somthing that totally relies on God to make it what it is. I am so proud Denzel for making this movie so that others might see just how important it is to rely on God. I totally give it an A+++.
  11. StanR
    Jan 24, 2010
    This film starts out being difficult to believe, then transitions into a decent action movie for 20-30 minutes but afterwards returns to being proselytizing Christian fairy tale that is simply impossible to believe. Some reviewers have called the ending unpredictable. That
  12. KimS
    Feb 16, 2010
    Why does it seem that writing is so poorly valued. Sure this film had reasonable production values. That is most of the shots were well done ( if a little ponderous) and even a couple of inventive ones (the sideways shot that scrolled |"up" was at least relatively novel). But the story is lame, not just derivative, not just the standard (and sometimes enjoyable) shallowness of the action Why does it seem that writing is so poorly valued. Sure this film had reasonable production values. That is most of the shots were well done ( if a little ponderous) and even a couple of inventive ones (the sideways shot that scrolled |"up" was at least relatively novel). But the story is lame, not just derivative, not just the standard (and sometimes enjoyable) shallowness of the action genre BUT actually BAD. The dialogue is terrible, hardly a single memorable (in the good sense) line in the film. The narrative makes no sense on so many levels: 1) Here's a book that Carnegie thinks will help him control people - even though *not a single person other than himself and Eli seem to have heard of it*. 2) Eli makes grave sacrifices to protect a book that he doesn't actually need. 3) Eli acts more like someone who was raised in a specific Christian tradition than someone who just read the bible. i.e. the saying of grace is a ritual likely descendant from certain events in the New Testament. There is no actual moral instruction to do so. 4) People seem to have forgotten things in a single generation (like what a TV is) ... I could go on. Expand
  13. joeh
    Jan 22, 2010
    Geez, hasn't anyone ever seen a Boy and His Dog, or the Zatoichi, The Blind Swordsman series and then Beat Takeshi's homage to it, complete with musical numbers?? You can dredge up every post apocalyptic film that has been made since Arch Oboler's Five and see where The Book of Eli is stealing from. Throw in some mumbo jumbo judeo christian eschatology, some homages to Geez, hasn't anyone ever seen a Boy and His Dog, or the Zatoichi, The Blind Swordsman series and then Beat Takeshi's homage to it, complete with musical numbers?? You can dredge up every post apocalyptic film that has been made since Arch Oboler's Five and see where The Book of Eli is stealing from. Throw in some mumbo jumbo judeo christian eschatology, some homages to Leone/Morricone and voila, a pretty predicatable and boring film. But the cars get awesome mileage and they aren't even solar powered. Is Denzel going to be our new Heston? Do we smell another Planet of the Apes remake down the road? Expand
  14. AlanR.
    Feb 16, 2010
    The movie was, for the first part beautifully shot (although the opening scene is ponderous and needless) and there are about two really good action scenes in there. With some original material but the script is crap. The dialogue is boring and uninspired. The character motivations don't make any sense. Eli:If he's memorized the book why take such risks to preserve it). Oldman: The movie was, for the first part beautifully shot (although the opening scene is ponderous and needless) and there are about two really good action scenes in there. With some original material but the script is crap. The dialogue is boring and uninspired. The character motivations don't make any sense. Eli:If he's memorized the book why take such risks to preserve it). Oldman: If most people can't read but will listen to you if you read from "the book". Then it stands to reason that you could tell them anything, or read from any other book. Solara: Is she really that naive that she thinks she will be safer with Eli? All culminating in an ending so disjointed that I was shocked to see a single writing credit. The most annoying thing is there are a half dozen ways to have made this movie. When studios don't even devote five brain cells to the plot is sort of like getting a big F-U from Hollywood. Expand
  15. SandraK.
    Feb 17, 2010
    I thought the movie looked nice but the script and plotting were ridiculous. Come on, the "post apocalyptic farmhouse with a crazy family" is there anything more cliche in the genre?
  16. AndyS
    Feb 18, 2010
    Great cinematography with good acting. I thought the story wasnt as far fetched as most think. I'm glad that Christianinty was shown in a good light for once.
  17. killdarren
    Feb 6, 2010
    Another pathetic, post-apocalyptic, Christian, houlier than thou, Look at me Im-a-gonna-save-the-world with my Bible offering. Horrible.
  18. MorrisonB.
    Jun 12, 2010
    If the idea of Christian Propaganda makes you hurl, stay away from this film. More nonsense trying to "edgy" -- No thanks.
  19. PonchoV.
    Jan 15, 2010
    Boring 3 action scenes,all about going west to do gods orders ofcourse its got to be the christian god that were talking about the only god I mean really we worship on this little rock about what 10-20 diffrent things but thats the one and only truth LOL LOL.
  20. May 17, 2012
    This movie is like Mad Max, without cars or irony or any meaning, everything is replaced by christian propaganda. In a world starved and lacking fuel people wouldn't bother very much about chasing a fanatical blind fencer but they would try to find a way to recover their technological knowledge. Everything else is better: The road, Mad Max, Escape from New York, even Red Dawn...
    If you
    If you want a post apocalyptic fiction about the importance of religion for the recovery of civilization you could read "A canticle for Leibovitz" by Walter M. Miller jr.
  21. NikJ
    Feb 5, 2010
    This movie squandered it's great look and feel and cast, wasting itself on hocus-pocus laced fairytale. If he'd been carrying the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Gnostic Gospels, spilling a bit of blood might be justified, but the King James version? Oh please. - A simple tale of a loner wandering the post holocaust wilderness, would have been enough. Hollywood is crap with stories; This movie squandered it's great look and feel and cast, wasting itself on hocus-pocus laced fairytale. If he'd been carrying the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Gnostic Gospels, spilling a bit of blood might be justified, but the King James version? Oh please. - A simple tale of a loner wandering the post holocaust wilderness, would have been enough. Hollywood is crap with stories; either none or way too much. Eli loses it's humanity in preaching and high concept it can't live up to. Expand
  22. BibK
    Apr 10, 2010
    It's an unoriginal mix of Mad Max, without cars and The Road without the depth of character, with bits of The Postman without the scale. Unoriginal and bland in the extreme, you will regret watching it.
  23. MiKE
    Jun 17, 2010
    Wow!! What an over the top silly movie. I do have to give credit for the opening scene. That was done very nicely. I had high hopes after the intro and I was waiting for an "action" very gof the movie "The road". What I got was garbage. Avoid this movie.
  24. JackM
    Jan 16, 2010
    A bible thumpers apocalyptic action movie. Makes you feel like you just got tricked into going to a surmon. Not really for those of us whom don't believe in idiotic made up religious beliefs. My advice. Stick to THE ROAD.
  25. GarrettH
    Jan 18, 2010
    Solid acting, comfortable pacing, impactful action, a strong sense of direction, a few welcome laughs, and just enough weight to make you feel something more than ur average action flick based on a simple idea.
  26. MonkeyA
    Mar 22, 2010
    This movie have a lot of great possibilies... but just falls in the same things we have seen hundred times... Bored, simple and previsible... Just have some good action moments.
  27. Jul 21, 2011
    Why does everyone in this movie speak in an ADD?ADHD manner ? And walks like in one of those early Charly Chaplin movies ? The story has been done a hundred times before, what is the added value here ? Nauseating to watch...please speak SLOOOWERRR. Horrible waste of a good cast...
  28. Nov 30, 2010
    Dumb. I can't believe I payed to see a movie about a post-apocalyptic black ninja sword fighter who kills everyone left on earth. The final scene of the movie is the worst I've ever seen, please leave before it happens!
  29. Aug 27, 2010
    The real title should have been "Fallout 4: When Zatoichi Found God and what happened after". Not much. I am a big fan of post-apocalyptic movies but this actively annoyed me most of the time.
  30. BaltazarH
    Jan 16, 2010
    What I liked the most about this movie was the setting which I find very interesting.
  31. Andrewthegreat
    Jan 19, 2010
    This movie was just amazing. I give it ten stars, the ending was very ironic!
  32. amarl.
    Jan 21, 2010
    A good action movie.You should judge movie for storytelling and for it's packaging.
  33. LucyC.
    Jan 20, 2010
    WOW I thought it was a very good movie. I love the twist at the end. Definitely worth watching.
  34. KyleB
    Feb 9, 2010
    Movie was epic and amazing! Dont believe what the critics say and go see this movie!!!
  35. JamesD.
    Apr 12, 2010
    Denzel makes for a incredible performance as usual. And coming from an Atheist I'd say the Christian "propaganda" does well to give meaning to the story. And since the movie was made in America I'm assuming that's why its Christian and not Buddhism or any other "holy" book in the world. I loved the twist. This movie proves that Christians can make good movies without Denzel makes for a incredible performance as usual. And coming from an Atheist I'd say the Christian "propaganda" does well to give meaning to the story. And since the movie was made in America I'm assuming that's why its Christian and not Buddhism or any other "holy" book in the world. I loved the twist. This movie proves that Christians can make good movies without smothering it with Christ. Expand
  36. JonathanM.
    May 31, 2010
    A great film, like no other.
  37. TomC.
    Jun 15, 2010
    Contrary to what haters out there are saying, it's a very unique, thoughtful, and well executed film. To counter the zero below, you certainly will NOT regret watching it.
  38. AndrewD.
    Jan 15, 2010
    The movie wasn't that bad. I agreed with the Onion's review. Gary Oldman was AWESOME. Ultimately, the studio played a bit too much with this one.
    Jan 15, 2010
    Reminds me of my favorite game, Fallout. Life isn't always pretty, and when it comes down to 'kill or be killed'....its best to be the one left standing. Denzel gives you that sense, that HE will be the last one standing.
  40. ChrisP
    Jan 16, 2010
    One of the more satisfying post-apocalyptic movies I've seen. Some find the pacing a little slow, but it worked for me. The cinematography and score were excellent. They really made it look and feel like the end of the world. Denzel and Oldman were great and there were a lot of great supporting roles, too. The fight scenes were pretty intense, I thought.
  41. LarsR
    Jan 17, 2010
    Didn't like the whole religious aspect of the movie but as others said, totally reminded me of my favorite game series Fallout. Love post apocolyptic movies loved this one for the most part.
  42. Justin
    Jan 23, 2010
    This movie really sucked and I felt, for the first time in my life, that I probably deserved a refund for having to sit through such a mess. The characters are shallow, things seem to happen without cause, and the plot just winds its way arbitrarily throughout the movie. Every major actor in this movie is horribly unbelievable. How is Mila Kunis living in a complete hell and still manages This movie really sucked and I felt, for the first time in my life, that I probably deserved a refund for having to sit through such a mess. The characters are shallow, things seem to happen without cause, and the plot just winds its way arbitrarily throughout the movie. Every major actor in this movie is horribly unbelievable. How is Mila Kunis living in a complete hell and still manages to have jeans that fit her and aviators? Don't go see this if you've already seen The Road because you'll be severely disappointed. Expand
  43. JasonC.
    Jan 23, 2010
    Great movie, keeps you thinking. If your a human secularist like most movie critics you probably won't like it. Your better to go watch Avatar instead.
  44. franks
    Feb 14, 2010
    Sadly most movie critics are intolerent of a moral character with a christian worldview.
  45. GerryG
    Feb 21, 2010
    Mix a little western, a little Mad Max, a little mystery, a couple of good actors, and you get a decent film. Denzel does a good job, and Oldman does his usual schtick as the big bad boss (which he always does well), but the other actors, and the script, just quite aren't up to making this a top-notch film. But for what you get, it's enjoyable and intriguing.
  46. BoratB.
    Feb 3, 2010
    Set up and scenes fantastic. Though, the story has some really stupid religious background. And the ending is just ridiculous. If I would have watched until 15 minutes before it ends, I would rate it way better.
  47. KyleW.
    Feb 4, 2010
    I thought it was a good movie it keeps you thinking throughout and it has great fight scenes in it and a suprise twist at the end. So overall, I give the film a 10.
  48. JakeN
    Feb 6, 2010
    Yet again another movie about the apocalypse. Well it's certainly nothing like 'The Road'. There more people, and no cannibals in 'Eli'. The plot is slightly smart, but yet very confusing.There are a few entertaining and eye popping action scenes in 'Eli'. That still isn't saying it's a good movie though. This isn't one of Denzel Yet again another movie about the apocalypse. Well it's certainly nothing like 'The Road'. There more people, and no cannibals in 'Eli'. The plot is slightly smart, but yet very confusing.There are a few entertaining and eye popping action scenes in 'Eli'. That still isn't saying it's a good movie though. This isn't one of Denzel Washington's worst work, yet it's not his best work. 'The Book of Eli' is just a bit out of control. Expand
  49. ChristopherA.
    Jun 23, 2010
    Part horror and part action, this movie rocked. I never became bored once, and I like very few movies. It was original, which is a rare thing for movies nowadays. The only reason I saw this movie was because Gary Oldman was in it, but I was highly impressed with Denzel Washington as well. I wish more movies of this quality were made.
  50. LindaR.
    Jan 15, 2010
    Great film. Another Denzel Washington masterpiece.
  51. karenB.
    Jan 15, 2010
    The starting was no doubt strong in content, Denzel gives a strangely convincing performance which I love, the ending was for me flawed: spiritually so.
  52. JohnS
    Jan 16, 2010
    This movie had many good elements, but I found myself bored several times. My girlfriend went to sleep at one point. We agreed the best part for us was when a viewer got ejected from the theater for cursing at what they thought was a lame story. If you see this, see it at a theater it will be worse on TV.
  53. KieranM
    Jan 16, 2010
    Went in with determined to like it, though I had some doubts. I was blown away. Great film.
  54. YancyW
    Jan 16, 2010
    I loved it! it's a samurai, western, and apocalyptic adventure with a biblical twist. I only wished the villain was more sinister; a silver tongued devil.
  55. Thickney
    Jan 17, 2010
    Don't expect it to be a high intensity action movie with sleek and slick moments. However, don't get me wrong, it wasn't a bad movie and the idea was great. The acting was awesome and the characters were captivating. However, the climax of the movie, revealing the real theme of the movie, turned me off.
  56. MarkW
    Jan 17, 2010
    Good time at the movies today with this one. The ending has a WTF twist that is really unnecessary. It would have been better ending about 2 minutes sooner.
  57. CathyL.
    Jan 17, 2010
    A wonderful, inventive movie. I thought about leaving early on due to the violence and depressing nature of the beginning of the movie...so glad I stayed. This a movie with real meat, which is a real change from the drivel that usually comes out of Hollywood. Loved it.
  58. NeilV
    Jan 17, 2010
    The Book of Eli is truly one of the top 5 movies that I have ever seen, in company with Shawshank Redemption and Braveheart. It is the best of Denzel's work (which says a great deal when you are talking about Courage Under Fire, the Fallen, Training Day, the Bone Collector, et al.). Gary Oldman and Mila Kunis were also special. The music, "300-esque" filming technique and overall The Book of Eli is truly one of the top 5 movies that I have ever seen, in company with Shawshank Redemption and Braveheart. It is the best of Denzel's work (which says a great deal when you are talking about Courage Under Fire, the Fallen, Training Day, the Bone Collector, et al.). Gary Oldman and Mila Kunis were also special. The music, "300-esque" filming technique and overall style of the film was evocative of a near-hopeless post-apocalyptic world where Eli remains one of the sole positive forces. An earlier reviewer was correct, in many ways this was the film version of the game Fallout 3, with a spiritual twist. Eli is a beautiful masterpiece which will warm the soul. Expand
  59. PabloH
    Jan 17, 2010
    The film is very interesting. The action scenes are pretty good. I would have like a little more backdrop what actually happen that the world is in this state. All n All a good movie but not great. I would have been satisfied with waiting until the movie went to DVD.
  60. DanW.
    Jan 18, 2010
    This was a very good movie, however it is not for everyone this movie is not to be taken at face value but more to be looked upon as pointing out the ways of our society their is the classic struggle of good and evil and also the idea of how religion can both destroy and save us. Yes there is a "twist" at the end but it's not really what I would consider a big deal and really This was a very good movie, however it is not for everyone this movie is not to be taken at face value but more to be looked upon as pointing out the ways of our society their is the classic struggle of good and evil and also the idea of how religion can both destroy and save us. Yes there is a "twist" at the end but it's not really what I would consider a big deal and really doesn't have an impact on the story as a whole, it's just kind of there and cool. Expand
  61. TonyF
    Jan 18, 2010
    I'd read a few of the poor reviews for this movie, and decided to go see it anyway. I'm really glad I did, because it turned out to be great. It seems more and more that the movies that have poor critical reception are really worth seeing, and I'm beginning to think the opposite of what the critics recommend. My only complaint is the bleached picture; while it gives the I'd read a few of the poor reviews for this movie, and decided to go see it anyway. I'm really glad I did, because it turned out to be great. It seems more and more that the movies that have poor critical reception are really worth seeing, and I'm beginning to think the opposite of what the critics recommend. My only complaint is the bleached picture; while it gives the film it's own look and contributes to the apocalyptic feeling, it could have done without since it is somewhat annoying. Expand
  62. ChadS
    Jan 18, 2010
    "The Book of Eli" is what happens when a good actor realizes that spectacle, more so than a story calibrated with great acting and direction, is what it takes to remain a box office draw. Depressing as it may be to watch two-time Academy Award-winning Denzel Washington stab, stab, stab and shoot, shoot, shoot his way through a comic book-inspired sci-fi/western, he does elevate the jejune "The Book of Eli" is what happens when a good actor realizes that spectacle, more so than a story calibrated with great acting and direction, is what it takes to remain a box office draw. Depressing as it may be to watch two-time Academy Award-winning Denzel Washington stab, stab, stab and shoot, shoot, shoot his way through a comic book-inspired sci-fi/western, he does elevate the jejune material with enough elan to obfuscate the pandering aspect of being an upgrade of some second-tier star like Vin Diesel, as he slums in this decidedly B-movie, for the kids. Everyday Eli writes the book, and Washington's mien suggests an intellect that's up to the task. Whereas Diesel and others of his ilk possess the brawn, Washington has the brawn, and brains, to play a bad-ass prophet, which is needed to downgrade the film's final revelation from being ludicrous in its chutzpah to simply amusing. (Riddick could probably write "The DaVinci Code".) Far from being cerebral, "The Book of Eli" does imagines a world with no religion after religion brought about the old world's annihilation. The moviegoer sees the inherent paradox of the John Lennon lyric(from "Imagine"), in which a person such as Solara(Mila Kunis) would indeed reap emotional benefits from having a spiritual side, while at the same time, a man like Carnegie(Gary Oldman) acts as the go-between for god and his worshippers, and reduces god's word for the enabling of mass anaesthetization. Expand
  63. TylerH
    Jan 18, 2010
    Surprisingly good movie, but different than you would expect from seeing previews. Exceptionally well acted and a surprizingly good plot. It contains holes, but its a movie and I got over it. Exceeded my expectations, one of my favorites.
  64. DanielE
    Jan 19, 2010
    Seems most of the negative reviews from critics include some kind of derogatory remark about religion. I would be willing to bet the aforesaid reviewers are athiests or agnostic. Anyway, the score and story are both excellent! Gary Oldman is always good and his performance in this film is no exception. Don't listen to negative & biased reviews this film is very good.
  65. FranG
    Jan 21, 2010
    I encourage all Christians to see this movie, it is about the Bible, I did not see that fact mention in any reviews. The ending will make you rethink the entire movie and wanting to see it again.
  66. JohnS.
    Jan 23, 2010
    Excellent movie loved am a christian. Very good moral movie! True measures of a man. If you thought it was horrible you went to see it for the wrong reasons and need to go to church and need a father figure. Walk by faith not by sight as the key lines in the movie say.
  67. JoelC
    Jan 24, 2010
    Wow... Just WOW! Ok so this movie will not be widely accepted or exalted due to its highly religious theme and message. It is not a universal religious theme such as 2012 that calls for various interpretations, and it is not as candy coated or indirect as Narnia's Christian message... it is a movie which, consciously or unconsciously, sends a crystal clear message to any believer Wow... Just WOW! Ok so this movie will not be widely accepted or exalted due to its highly religious theme and message. It is not a universal religious theme such as 2012 that calls for various interpretations, and it is not as candy coated or indirect as Narnia's Christian message... it is a movie which, consciously or unconsciously, sends a crystal clear message to any believer that sees it. So bottom line... it will be criticized by any non-believer as a stupid film, and exalted by any devoted follower of Christ. If you are a believer I invite you to listen carefully to every word in this movie from both the main character and the villain... and also the meaning beyond the movie in terms of the writer's intentions, or lack of, and connect it to scripture. If you are a believer wanting to follow in God's path in order to fulfill His purpose, be ready to hear a message that will minister to your life as a Christian... whether it be a message of hope or enlightenment. Expand
  68. TheKid
    Jan 31, 2010
    The critics are out to lunch on this one. Good story line - Little slow, but took awhile to realize the subtleties.
  69. RickyB.
    Jan 30, 2010
    Not really knowing what to expect going into the theater, during the first half of this movie all i could think was "wow, this is the best movie I've seen in years!" because, well, so far it was. right around the scene where they get to the house and have the "big showdown" where eli loses the bible is where the movie started slipping. people keep whining about "religious themes" or Not really knowing what to expect going into the theater, during the first half of this movie all i could think was "wow, this is the best movie I've seen in years!" because, well, so far it was. right around the scene where they get to the house and have the "big showdown" where eli loses the bible is where the movie started slipping. people keep whining about "religious themes" or some crap, which I noticed but really just ignored because well who cares? lol but yeah great movie for the first half, pretty dumb ending but I'd watch it again. Expand
  70. EdwardD
    Feb 10, 2010
    You will really like this movie if you can picture Moses as James Bond!! Sadly, the depravity that mankind sinks to in this story is probably fairly accurate. It is not a pretty picture, but Eli comes to the rescue to save us all. It wasn't a great movie, but the bad guys get there come uppance which is always satifying to see, and about all there is to this production.
  71. KylerC.
    Feb 18, 2010
    Unless you are some crazy film snob that can only be entertained by the most realistic and complex stories, you can most definitely enjoy this film! This is one of the best movies that I have seen in theaters in a long time; I thoroughly enjoyed the mix of action and drama, and even if you don't believe in the book that Eli carries, it is easy to believe in his purpose. Denzel hardly Unless you are some crazy film snob that can only be entertained by the most realistic and complex stories, you can most definitely enjoy this film! This is one of the best movies that I have seen in theaters in a long time; I thoroughly enjoyed the mix of action and drama, and even if you don't believe in the book that Eli carries, it is easy to believe in his purpose. Denzel hardly ever lets me down, once again bringing a grade A performance to the silver screen along with Gary Oldman, always a stellar bad guy. Mila Kunis was somewhat of a downfall for me, she doesn't really add much to the story besides a little lengthier play time, and some of the happenings around the conclusion are confusing and muddled, but are left up for your interpretation, which I liked. If you were thinking about seeing this but haven't yet, do it! I doubt you will be disappointed. Expand
  72. km
    Feb 5, 2010
    This was an outstanding must see movie!!! Denzel was awesome and the makers of the film did an outstanding job as well! If only we had more movies like this being made!
  73. EvanG.
    Mar 8, 2010
    Great movie! Absolutely loved everything about it. Critics be damned.
  74. NickK.
    Jun 4, 2010
    10 also to counteract 0's. I hate metacritic, not sure why I bother here anymore. Its such terrible reviewing. Anyway the movie was good in its own way and the religious outlook was a good touch/twist in the end. I enjoyed the movie enough that I will buy it for 10 bucks on bluray one day.
  75. JacobS.
    Jan 15, 2010
    A great movie. I expected to be a bit grossed out by the gore, but it wasn't really that bad. The actors were quite good, especially Gary Oldman and Denzel Washington. I also really liked the twist at the end, and the action was very cool and stylish. I'm not a religious man, so I wasn't a huge fan of the Christian overtones...but even that didn't bother me because it A great movie. I expected to be a bit grossed out by the gore, but it wasn't really that bad. The actors were quite good, especially Gary Oldman and Denzel Washington. I also really liked the twist at the end, and the action was very cool and stylish. I'm not a religious man, so I wasn't a huge fan of the Christian overtones...but even that didn't bother me because it really added to the movie. All in all, a great film. Expand
  76. DylanB.
    Jan 15, 2010
    A very good movie similar to Fallout 3 and sort of the Dark Tower series by Steven King. Good plot line with very interesting and well played characters. Nice twist also but don't expect a non-stop action movie.
  77. WilliamP.
    Jan 15, 2010
    Great. Makes me think of Clint Eastwood, but Denzel is even better. Yea the critic's say it's like a western. So is Avatar fools, but you give it a 10. huh? This movie was better, come on , it has Denzel!
  78. FrancineM
    Jan 15, 2010
    Wow! This film is a metaphor in every since of the word. Interestingly, many will not understand it,however that is expected. One should ask themselves, when I read the bible do I believe it,or consider it a folklore? Remember, faith is blind and to truly grasp the true meaning of the Word one must have the key.
  79. JayF
    Jan 15, 2010
    Must see movie. Reminds me of the video game Fallout mixed with Mad Max and the Road. Amazing movie. As usual the snobby critics wouldnt know a good movie if it hit them over the head. This is a MUST SEE if there ever was one.
  80. KyleS
    Jan 15, 2010
    Great movie. There's alot the snobby critics are missing in their respective attempts to immediately thumb their noses at the movie; they do so because the movie reminds them of other movies (which it does). That doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Eli never said the bibles were destroyed after the war, just because of the war. There's another observation they make about Great movie. There's alot the snobby critics are missing in their respective attempts to immediately thumb their noses at the movie; they do so because the movie reminds them of other movies (which it does). That doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Eli never said the bibles were destroyed after the war, just because of the war. There's another observation they make about the end of the movie which I don't want to address for fear of spoiling it. Just remember that what is implied at the end may not necessarily be so, if you remember details and think about it. The movie is a great one and the critics are what get a thumbs down for lack of ability to think about anything other than being sesquipedalian lexiphans. Don't worry, the critics will have to look it up, too. So, go watch "Book of Eli", I loved it and think most others will, too. Very inspirational. Expand
  81. JuanaW.
    Jan 15, 2010
    I loved the movie it was great. People who didnt like it just didnt understand it they need to read there bibles more often thats what i think about it.
  82. DianeV
    Jan 16, 2010
    Without a doubt the best movie I've ever seen. There is never a dull moment, Denzel Washington is amazing (as usual) and the message is pure and magnificent!
  83. Johnny
    Jan 16, 2010
    This movie is an absolutely fantastic popcorn flick. It remains predictable for the majority of the film, however does go off and work a different ending. It also provides a lot to think about, such as one of it's major themes - the role of religion in shaping society.
  84. J.L.
    Jan 17, 2010
    Great movie! God's word endures even in the attempt of man to destroy it! God does direct our footsteps and protects us as the movie illustrates with Eli. Entertaining and delivers a very strong message! The fact that Eli was blind was huge in making that message even stronger!
  85. AndyB.
    Jan 25, 2010
    I love the clowns who say: "Just another Religious, Bible thumping movie" right cause those are sooooo prevalent in Hollywood. Not. That said, if you are a believer, or are seeking a higher power, you will like this movie. If you don't believe and don't give a rip to believe then you won't like this movie. It's a polarizing film. I'm impressed that the script was I love the clowns who say: "Just another Religious, Bible thumping movie" right cause those are sooooo prevalent in Hollywood. Not. That said, if you are a believer, or are seeking a higher power, you will like this movie. If you don't believe and don't give a rip to believe then you won't like this movie. It's a polarizing film. I'm impressed that the script was actually picked up, that Denzel, a big-time actor actually did it. It makes me think there is hope considering all the non "Bible thumping" B.S. that Hollywood spits out. Expand
  86. Seanismyname
    Jan 26, 2010
    Jason C's comment about human secularists is incorrect. I am a human secularist and I thought this movie vividly and convincingly portrayed the time-honored power of the Bible to inspire murder, greed and human treachery. I would have given it a higher score but the crazy cannibals made the movie descend from fable to pastiche.
  87. Colin
    Jan 31, 2010
    Was blown away by the wtf ending they threw in. Awesome movie.
  88. JoeD
    Jan 31, 2010
    This was pretty epic. It was better than its ratings.
  89. Sara
    Feb 13, 2010
    I've seen it 3 times ... it just gets better with each viewing. Unbelievable ... a must-see, in my books.
  90. DougL
    Feb 16, 2010
    Wow! Possibly one of the best films I have seen in a long time. The acting is excellent and the ending will blow your mind. Of course its hard for Denzel to make a bad movie.
  91. johnw.
    Feb 18, 2010
    Great movie, but then again pretty much any movie with Denzel in it is awesome. Its a shame to see it low-rated by people who just can't deal with the Christian concepts in it. Even if your not a Christian, I don't see how you could rate this movie a 0. It had a cool twist in the end, and overall an awesome movie. A definite must see in the theaters.
  92. BrianE
    Mar 12, 2010
    This 10 is mostly to counteract the idiots giving this a 0. This was an excellent story, and those bashing it for telling a story of faith should leave their opinions to themselves. Ok, we get it. You're an edgy internet nerd who loves to bash popular opinions. Get over yourself. Point is, this story would be excellent if the book was the Torah, the Qur'an, etc. They put the This 10 is mostly to counteract the idiots giving this a 0. This was an excellent story, and those bashing it for telling a story of faith should leave their opinions to themselves. Ok, we get it. You're an edgy internet nerd who loves to bash popular opinions. Get over yourself. Point is, this story would be excellent if the book was the Torah, the Qur'an, etc. They put the written King James version between these, if I recall correctly at the end. Faith of all types needed to be preserved, was the meaning. Expand
  93. AgustinT.
    Apr 24, 2010
    Classical ending of a Hollywood movie - everybody is fine when the logic and the events says the contrary. But it has some message at the end: stick to your principles!
  94. ChaseC.
    Jun 14, 2010
    This movie is a solid sci-fi/action flick whose AGNOSTIC message has sent it well below the radar of acceptance from your "even-the-idea-of-divine-means-panned" critics. I am not a practitioner of any religion and loved the performances of all the major players, particularly Oldman who made the detestable villain a character you could not get enough of. Wasington's portrayal of Eli This movie is a solid sci-fi/action flick whose AGNOSTIC message has sent it well below the radar of acceptance from your "even-the-idea-of-divine-means-panned" critics. I am not a practitioner of any religion and loved the performances of all the major players, particularly Oldman who made the detestable villain a character you could not get enough of. Wasington's portrayal of Eli brought the character to life through a constant state of butt-kickery, cool temper and a unique set of morals that made him human: hence not the messiah but a preserver of words. I'm not saying it should win Best Picture, but neither did anything that involved a Thunderdome. Expand
  95. JoeB.
    Jun 15, 2010
    Liked it more than I thought I would. Lacked something but overall was a good watch.
  96. JohnnyH.
    Jun 19, 2010
    Seriously, any bad ratings of this movie comes from atheist pricks who get their panties in a wad whenever they hear the word "God" or see a Bible. This movie is fun, exciting and one of the most enjoyable movies i've seen in a while.
  97. Kevin
    Jun 24, 2010
    Apparently MIKE and Morrison B. have not seen the movie. Best movie I have seen in a long time. The twist is not worn out. The action is great. In a post apocalyptic world how many people do you expect to be alive? Therefore not much to kill. Great portrait this movie paints. Christian movie? Yes to the core. One that is among the best movies IMO even if the critics disagree.
  98. Oct 13, 2010
    Denzel still has it, and the twist in this movie is actually a good one. A lot of movies have twists that are just plain ridiculous, and I refuse to swallow, but this one makes you want to watch the movie again after realizing something that you maybe should have known the whole time.
  99. Aug 13, 2010
    Oh no another of one those doomsday movies, barren wastelands and cannibals all over the place. However the movie I can recommend itâ
  100. Aug 19, 2010
    I went into this film expecting very little. I love end-of-the-world scenarios (One of my favorites: The Quiet Earth. Least Favorite? I Am Legend or The Postman... Take your pick.) and had recently been slightly bored by "The Road"... This movie surprised me. I expected heavy religious overtones, and while there are some(duh), they don't ruin the film by getting too preachy. The actionI went into this film expecting very little. I love end-of-the-world scenarios (One of my favorites: The Quiet Earth. Least Favorite? I Am Legend or The Postman... Take your pick.) and had recently been slightly bored by "The Road"... This movie surprised me. I expected heavy religious overtones, and while there are some(duh), they don't ruin the film by getting too preachy. The action sequences are well done and often quite brutal. Worth checking out. Expand

1. The Hughes Brothers' measured, well-paced direction complements the comic-book simplicity of this narrative.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Some mordant comic touches would have been welcome throughout the picture, which has a somber tone that suffers a bit from lack of modulation and nuance.
    The Book of Eli combines the maximum in hollow piety with remorseless violence. [18 Jan. 2010, p.82]