The Book of Eli

7.3

1. DR
    Feb 5, 2010
    This movie is the greatest, most inspirational movie that I have seen. It completely renewed my faith in movies to see somthing that totally relies on God to make it what it is. I am so proud Denzel for making this movie so that others might see just how important it is to rely on God. I totally give it an A+++.
  2. AndyS
    Feb 18, 2010
    Great cinematography with good acting. I thought the story wasnt as far fetched as most think. I'm glad that Christianinty was shown in a good light for once.
  3. GarrettH
    Jan 18, 2010
    Solid acting, comfortable pacing, impactful action, a strong sense of direction, a few welcome laughs, and just enough weight to make you feel something more than ur average action flick based on a simple idea.
  4. BaltazarH
    Jan 16, 2010
    What I liked the most about this movie was the setting which I find very interesting.
  5. Andrewthegreat
    Jan 19, 2010
    This movie was just amazing. I give it ten stars, the ending was very ironic!
  6. amarl.
    Jan 21, 2010
    A good action movie.You should judge movie for storytelling and for it's packaging.
  7. LucyC.
    Jan 20, 2010
    WOW I thought it was a very good movie. I love the twist at the end. Definitely worth watching.
  8. KyleB
    Feb 9, 2010
    Movie was epic and amazing! Dont believe what the critics say and go see this movie!!!
  9. JamesD.
    Apr 12, 2010
    Denzel makes for a incredible performance as usual. And coming from an Atheist I'd say the Christian "propaganda" does well to give meaning to the story. And since the movie was made in America I'm assuming that's why its Christian and not Buddhism or any other "holy" book in the world. I loved the twist. This movie proves that Christians can make good movies without Denzel makes for a incredible performance as usual. And coming from an Atheist I'd say the Christian "propaganda" does well to give meaning to the story. And since the movie was made in America I'm assuming that's why its Christian and not Buddhism or any other "holy" book in the world. I loved the twist. This movie proves that Christians can make good movies without smothering it with Christ. Expand
  10. JonathanM.
    May 31, 2010
    A great film, like no other.
  11. TomC.
    Jun 15, 2010
    Contrary to what haters out there are saying, it's a very unique, thoughtful, and well executed film. To counter the zero below, you certainly will NOT regret watching it.
  12. AndrewD.
    Jan 15, 2010
    The movie wasn't that bad. I agreed with the Onion's review. Gary Oldman was AWESOME. Ultimately, the studio played a bit too much with this one.
    Jan 15, 2010
    Reminds me of my favorite game, Fallout. Life isn't always pretty, and when it comes down to 'kill or be killed'....its best to be the one left standing. Denzel gives you that sense, that HE will be the last one standing.
  14. ChrisP
    Jan 16, 2010
    One of the more satisfying post-apocalyptic movies I've seen. Some find the pacing a little slow, but it worked for me. The cinematography and score were excellent. They really made it look and feel like the end of the world. Denzel and Oldman were great and there were a lot of great supporting roles, too. The fight scenes were pretty intense, I thought.
  15. LarsR
    Jan 17, 2010
    Didn't like the whole religious aspect of the movie but as others said, totally reminded me of my favorite game series Fallout. Love post apocolyptic movies loved this one for the most part.
  16. JasonC.
    Jan 23, 2010
    Great movie, keeps you thinking. If your a human secularist like most movie critics you probably won't like it. Your better to go watch Avatar instead.
  17. franks
    Feb 14, 2010
    Sadly most movie critics are intolerent of a moral character with a christian worldview.
  18. GerryG
    Feb 21, 2010
    Mix a little western, a little Mad Max, a little mystery, a couple of good actors, and you get a decent film. Denzel does a good job, and Oldman does his usual schtick as the big bad boss (which he always does well), but the other actors, and the script, just quite aren't up to making this a top-notch film. But for what you get, it's enjoyable and intriguing.
  19. KyleW.
    Feb 4, 2010
    I thought it was a good movie it keeps you thinking throughout and it has great fight scenes in it and a suprise twist at the end. So overall, I give the film a 10.
  20. ChristopherA.
    Jun 23, 2010
    Part horror and part action, this movie rocked. I never became bored once, and I like very few movies. It was original, which is a rare thing for movies nowadays. The only reason I saw this movie was because Gary Oldman was in it, but I was highly impressed with Denzel Washington as well. I wish more movies of this quality were made.
  21. LindaR.
    Jan 15, 2010
    Great film. Another Denzel Washington masterpiece.
  22. karenB.
    Jan 15, 2010
    The starting was no doubt strong in content, Denzel gives a strangely convincing performance which I love, the ending was for me flawed: spiritually so.
  23. KieranM
    Jan 16, 2010
    Went in with determined to like it, though I had some doubts. I was blown away. Great film.
  24. YancyW
    Jan 16, 2010
    I loved it! it's a samurai, western, and apocalyptic adventure with a biblical twist. I only wished the villain was more sinister; a silver tongued devil.
  25. MarkW
    Jan 17, 2010
    Good time at the movies today with this one. The ending has a WTF twist that is really unnecessary. It would have been better ending about 2 minutes sooner.
  26. CathyL.
    Jan 17, 2010
    A wonderful, inventive movie. I thought about leaving early on due to the violence and depressing nature of the beginning of the movie...so glad I stayed. This a movie with real meat, which is a real change from the drivel that usually comes out of Hollywood. Loved it.
  27. NeilV
    Jan 17, 2010
    The Book of Eli is truly one of the top 5 movies that I have ever seen, in company with Shawshank Redemption and Braveheart. It is the best of Denzel's work (which says a great deal when you are talking about Courage Under Fire, the Fallen, Training Day, the Bone Collector, et al.). Gary Oldman and Mila Kunis were also special. The music, "300-esque" filming technique and overall The Book of Eli is truly one of the top 5 movies that I have ever seen, in company with Shawshank Redemption and Braveheart. It is the best of Denzel's work (which says a great deal when you are talking about Courage Under Fire, the Fallen, Training Day, the Bone Collector, et al.). Gary Oldman and Mila Kunis were also special. The music, "300-esque" filming technique and overall style of the film was evocative of a near-hopeless post-apocalyptic world where Eli remains one of the sole positive forces. An earlier reviewer was correct, in many ways this was the film version of the game Fallout 3, with a spiritual twist. Eli is a beautiful masterpiece which will warm the soul. Expand
  28. PabloH
    Jan 17, 2010
    The film is very interesting. The action scenes are pretty good. I would have like a little more backdrop what actually happen that the world is in this state. All n All a good movie but not great. I would have been satisfied with waiting until the movie went to DVD.
  29. DanW.
    Jan 18, 2010
    This was a very good movie, however it is not for everyone this movie is not to be taken at face value but more to be looked upon as pointing out the ways of our society their is the classic struggle of good and evil and also the idea of how religion can both destroy and save us. Yes there is a "twist" at the end but it's not really what I would consider a big deal and really This was a very good movie, however it is not for everyone this movie is not to be taken at face value but more to be looked upon as pointing out the ways of our society their is the classic struggle of good and evil and also the idea of how religion can both destroy and save us. Yes there is a "twist" at the end but it's not really what I would consider a big deal and really doesn't have an impact on the story as a whole, it's just kind of there and cool. Expand
  30. TonyF
    Jan 18, 2010
    I'd read a few of the poor reviews for this movie, and decided to go see it anyway. I'm really glad I did, because it turned out to be great. It seems more and more that the movies that have poor critical reception are really worth seeing, and I'm beginning to think the opposite of what the critics recommend. My only complaint is the bleached picture; while it gives the I'd read a few of the poor reviews for this movie, and decided to go see it anyway. I'm really glad I did, because it turned out to be great. It seems more and more that the movies that have poor critical reception are really worth seeing, and I'm beginning to think the opposite of what the critics recommend. My only complaint is the bleached picture; while it gives the film it's own look and contributes to the apocalyptic feeling, it could have done without since it is somewhat annoying. Expand
  31. ChadS
    Jan 18, 2010
    "The Book of Eli" is what happens when a good actor realizes that spectacle, more so than a story calibrated with great acting and direction, is what it takes to remain a box office draw. Depressing as it may be to watch two-time Academy Award-winning Denzel Washington stab, stab, stab and shoot, shoot, shoot his way through a comic book-inspired sci-fi/western, he does elevate the jejune "The Book of Eli" is what happens when a good actor realizes that spectacle, more so than a story calibrated with great acting and direction, is what it takes to remain a box office draw. Depressing as it may be to watch two-time Academy Award-winning Denzel Washington stab, stab, stab and shoot, shoot, shoot his way through a comic book-inspired sci-fi/western, he does elevate the jejune material with enough elan to obfuscate the pandering aspect of being an upgrade of some second-tier star like Vin Diesel, as he slums in this decidedly B-movie, for the kids. Everyday Eli writes the book, and Washington's mien suggests an intellect that's up to the task. Whereas Diesel and others of his ilk possess the brawn, Washington has the brawn, and brains, to play a bad-ass prophet, which is needed to downgrade the film's final revelation from being ludicrous in its chutzpah to simply amusing. (Riddick could probably write "The DaVinci Code".) Far from being cerebral, "The Book of Eli" does imagines a world with no religion after religion brought about the old world's annihilation. The moviegoer sees the inherent paradox of the John Lennon lyric(from "Imagine"), in which a person such as Solara(Mila Kunis) would indeed reap emotional benefits from having a spiritual side, while at the same time, a man like Carnegie(Gary Oldman) acts as the go-between for god and his worshippers, and reduces god's word for the enabling of mass anaesthetization. Expand
  32. TylerH
    Jan 18, 2010
    Surprisingly good movie, but different than you would expect from seeing previews. Exceptionally well acted and a surprizingly good plot. It contains holes, but its a movie and I got over it. Exceeded my expectations, one of my favorites.
  33. DanielE
    Jan 19, 2010
    Seems most of the negative reviews from critics include some kind of derogatory remark about religion. I would be willing to bet the aforesaid reviewers are athiests or agnostic. Anyway, the score and story are both excellent! Gary Oldman is always good and his performance in this film is no exception. Don't listen to negative & biased reviews this film is very good.
  34. FranG
    Jan 21, 2010
    I encourage all Christians to see this movie, it is about the Bible, I did not see that fact mention in any reviews. The ending will make you rethink the entire movie and wanting to see it again.
  35. JohnS.
    Jan 23, 2010
    Excellent movie loved am a christian. Very good moral movie! True measures of a man. If you thought it was horrible you went to see it for the wrong reasons and need to go to church and need a father figure. Walk by faith not by sight as the key lines in the movie say.
  36. JoelC
    Jan 24, 2010
    Wow... Just WOW! Ok so this movie will not be widely accepted or exalted due to its highly religious theme and message. It is not a universal religious theme such as 2012 that calls for various interpretations, and it is not as candy coated or indirect as Narnia's Christian message... it is a movie which, consciously or unconsciously, sends a crystal clear message to any believer Wow... Just WOW! Ok so this movie will not be widely accepted or exalted due to its highly religious theme and message. It is not a universal religious theme such as 2012 that calls for various interpretations, and it is not as candy coated or indirect as Narnia's Christian message... it is a movie which, consciously or unconsciously, sends a crystal clear message to any believer that sees it. So bottom line... it will be criticized by any non-believer as a stupid film, and exalted by any devoted follower of Christ. If you are a believer I invite you to listen carefully to every word in this movie from both the main character and the villain... and also the meaning beyond the movie in terms of the writer's intentions, or lack of, and connect it to scripture. If you are a believer wanting to follow in God's path in order to fulfill His purpose, be ready to hear a message that will minister to your life as a Christian... whether it be a message of hope or enlightenment. Expand
  37. TheKid
    Jan 31, 2010
    The critics are out to lunch on this one. Good story line - Little slow, but took awhile to realize the subtleties.
  38. RickyB.
    Jan 30, 2010
    Not really knowing what to expect going into the theater, during the first half of this movie all i could think was "wow, this is the best movie I've seen in years!" because, well, so far it was. right around the scene where they get to the house and have the "big showdown" where eli loses the bible is where the movie started slipping. people keep whining about "religious themes" or Not really knowing what to expect going into the theater, during the first half of this movie all i could think was "wow, this is the best movie I've seen in years!" because, well, so far it was. right around the scene where they get to the house and have the "big showdown" where eli loses the bible is where the movie started slipping. people keep whining about "religious themes" or some crap, which I noticed but really just ignored because well who cares? lol but yeah great movie for the first half, pretty dumb ending but I'd watch it again. Expand
  39. KylerC.
    Feb 18, 2010
    Unless you are some crazy film snob that can only be entertained by the most realistic and complex stories, you can most definitely enjoy this film! This is one of the best movies that I have seen in theaters in a long time; I thoroughly enjoyed the mix of action and drama, and even if you don't believe in the book that Eli carries, it is easy to believe in his purpose. Denzel hardly Unless you are some crazy film snob that can only be entertained by the most realistic and complex stories, you can most definitely enjoy this film! This is one of the best movies that I have seen in theaters in a long time; I thoroughly enjoyed the mix of action and drama, and even if you don't believe in the book that Eli carries, it is easy to believe in his purpose. Denzel hardly ever lets me down, once again bringing a grade A performance to the silver screen along with Gary Oldman, always a stellar bad guy. Mila Kunis was somewhat of a downfall for me, she doesn't really add much to the story besides a little lengthier play time, and some of the happenings around the conclusion are confusing and muddled, but are left up for your interpretation, which I liked. If you were thinking about seeing this but haven't yet, do it! I doubt you will be disappointed. Expand
  40. km
    Feb 5, 2010
    This was an outstanding must see movie!!! Denzel was awesome and the makers of the film did an outstanding job as well! If only we had more movies like this being made!
  41. EvanG.
    Mar 8, 2010
    Great movie! Absolutely loved everything about it. Critics be damned.
  42. NickK.
    Jun 4, 2010
    10 also to counteract 0's. I hate metacritic, not sure why I bother here anymore. Its such terrible reviewing. Anyway the movie was good in its own way and the religious outlook was a good touch/twist in the end. I enjoyed the movie enough that I will buy it for 10 bucks on bluray one day.
  43. JacobS.
    Jan 15, 2010
    A great movie. I expected to be a bit grossed out by the gore, but it wasn't really that bad. The actors were quite good, especially Gary Oldman and Denzel Washington. I also really liked the twist at the end, and the action was very cool and stylish. I'm not a religious man, so I wasn't a huge fan of the Christian overtones...but even that didn't bother me because it A great movie. I expected to be a bit grossed out by the gore, but it wasn't really that bad. The actors were quite good, especially Gary Oldman and Denzel Washington. I also really liked the twist at the end, and the action was very cool and stylish. I'm not a religious man, so I wasn't a huge fan of the Christian overtones...but even that didn't bother me because it really added to the movie. All in all, a great film. Expand
  44. DylanB.
    Jan 15, 2010
    A very good movie similar to Fallout 3 and sort of the Dark Tower series by Steven King. Good plot line with very interesting and well played characters. Nice twist also but don't expect a non-stop action movie.
  45. WilliamP.
    Jan 15, 2010
    Great. Makes me think of Clint Eastwood, but Denzel is even better. Yea the critic's say it's like a western. So is Avatar fools, but you give it a 10. huh? This movie was better, come on , it has Denzel!
  46. FrancineM
    Jan 15, 2010
    Wow! This film is a metaphor in every since of the word. Interestingly, many will not understand it,however that is expected. One should ask themselves, when I read the bible do I believe it,or consider it a folklore? Remember, faith is blind and to truly grasp the true meaning of the Word one must have the key.
  47. JayF
    Jan 15, 2010
    Must see movie. Reminds me of the video game Fallout mixed with Mad Max and the Road. Amazing movie. As usual the snobby critics wouldnt know a good movie if it hit them over the head. This is a MUST SEE if there ever was one.
  48. KyleS
    Jan 15, 2010
    Great movie. There's alot the snobby critics are missing in their respective attempts to immediately thumb their noses at the movie; they do so because the movie reminds them of other movies (which it does). That doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Eli never said the bibles were destroyed after the war, just because of the war. There's another observation they make about Great movie. There's alot the snobby critics are missing in their respective attempts to immediately thumb their noses at the movie; they do so because the movie reminds them of other movies (which it does). That doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Eli never said the bibles were destroyed after the war, just because of the war. There's another observation they make about the end of the movie which I don't want to address for fear of spoiling it. Just remember that what is implied at the end may not necessarily be so, if you remember details and think about it. The movie is a great one and the critics are what get a thumbs down for lack of ability to think about anything other than being sesquipedalian lexiphans. Don't worry, the critics will have to look it up, too. So, go watch "Book of Eli", I loved it and think most others will, too. Very inspirational. Expand
  49. JuanaW.
    Jan 15, 2010
    I loved the movie it was great. People who didnt like it just didnt understand it they need to read there bibles more often thats what i think about it.
  50. DianeV
    Jan 16, 2010
    Without a doubt the best movie I've ever seen. There is never a dull moment, Denzel Washington is amazing (as usual) and the message is pure and magnificent!
  51. Johnny
    Jan 16, 2010
    This movie is an absolutely fantastic popcorn flick. It remains predictable for the majority of the film, however does go off and work a different ending. It also provides a lot to think about, such as one of it's major themes - the role of religion in shaping society.
  52. J.L.
    Jan 17, 2010
    Great movie! God's word endures even in the attempt of man to destroy it! God does direct our footsteps and protects us as the movie illustrates with Eli. Entertaining and delivers a very strong message! The fact that Eli was blind was huge in making that message even stronger!
  53. AndyB.
    Jan 25, 2010
    I love the clowns who say: "Just another Religious, Bible thumping movie" right cause those are sooooo prevalent in Hollywood. Not. That said, if you are a believer, or are seeking a higher power, you will like this movie. If you don't believe and don't give a rip to believe then you won't like this movie. It's a polarizing film. I'm impressed that the script was I love the clowns who say: "Just another Religious, Bible thumping movie" right cause those are sooooo prevalent in Hollywood. Not. That said, if you are a believer, or are seeking a higher power, you will like this movie. If you don't believe and don't give a rip to believe then you won't like this movie. It's a polarizing film. I'm impressed that the script was actually picked up, that Denzel, a big-time actor actually did it. It makes me think there is hope considering all the non "Bible thumping" B.S. that Hollywood spits out. Expand
  54. Colin
    Jan 31, 2010
    Was blown away by the wtf ending they threw in. Awesome movie.
  55. JoeD
    Jan 31, 2010
    This was pretty epic. It was better than its ratings.
  56. Sara
    Feb 13, 2010
    I've seen it 3 times ... it just gets better with each viewing. Unbelievable ... a must-see, in my books.
  57. DougL
    Feb 16, 2010
    Wow! Possibly one of the best films I have seen in a long time. The acting is excellent and the ending will blow your mind. Of course its hard for Denzel to make a bad movie.
  58. johnw.
    Feb 18, 2010
    Great movie, but then again pretty much any movie with Denzel in it is awesome. Its a shame to see it low-rated by people who just can't deal with the Christian concepts in it. Even if your not a Christian, I don't see how you could rate this movie a 0. It had a cool twist in the end, and overall an awesome movie. A definite must see in the theaters.
  59. BrianE
    Mar 12, 2010
    This 10 is mostly to counteract the idiots giving this a 0. This was an excellent story, and those bashing it for telling a story of faith should leave their opinions to themselves. Ok, we get it. You're an edgy internet nerd who loves to bash popular opinions. Get over yourself. Point is, this story would be excellent if the book was the Torah, the Qur'an, etc. They put the This 10 is mostly to counteract the idiots giving this a 0. This was an excellent story, and those bashing it for telling a story of faith should leave their opinions to themselves. Ok, we get it. You're an edgy internet nerd who loves to bash popular opinions. Get over yourself. Point is, this story would be excellent if the book was the Torah, the Qur'an, etc. They put the written King James version between these, if I recall correctly at the end. Faith of all types needed to be preserved, was the meaning. Expand
  60. ChaseC.
    Jun 14, 2010
    This movie is a solid sci-fi/action flick whose AGNOSTIC message has sent it well below the radar of acceptance from your "even-the-idea-of-divine-means-panned" critics. I am not a practitioner of any religion and loved the performances of all the major players, particularly Oldman who made the detestable villain a character you could not get enough of. Wasington's portrayal of Eli This movie is a solid sci-fi/action flick whose AGNOSTIC message has sent it well below the radar of acceptance from your "even-the-idea-of-divine-means-panned" critics. I am not a practitioner of any religion and loved the performances of all the major players, particularly Oldman who made the detestable villain a character you could not get enough of. Wasington's portrayal of Eli brought the character to life through a constant state of butt-kickery, cool temper and a unique set of morals that made him human: hence not the messiah but a preserver of words. I'm not saying it should win Best Picture, but neither did anything that involved a Thunderdome. Expand
  61. JoeB.
    Jun 15, 2010
    Liked it more than I thought I would. Lacked something but overall was a good watch.
  62. JohnnyH.
    Jun 19, 2010
    Seriously, any bad ratings of this movie comes from atheist pricks who get their panties in a wad whenever they hear the word "God" or see a Bible. This movie is fun, exciting and one of the most enjoyable movies i've seen in a while.
  63. Kevin
    Jun 24, 2010
    Apparently MIKE and Morrison B. have not seen the movie. Best movie I have seen in a long time. The twist is not worn out. The action is great. In a post apocalyptic world how many people do you expect to be alive? Therefore not much to kill. Great portrait this movie paints. Christian movie? Yes to the core. One that is among the best movies IMO even if the critics disagree.
  64. Oct 13, 2010
    Denzel still has it, and the twist in this movie is actually a good one. A lot of movies have twists that are just plain ridiculous, and I refuse to swallow, but this one makes you want to watch the movie again after realizing something that you maybe should have known the whole time.
  65. Aug 13, 2010
    Oh no another of one those doomsday movies, barren wastelands and cannibals all over the place. However the movie I can recommend itâ
  66. Aug 19, 2010
    I went into this film expecting very little. I love end-of-the-world scenarios (One of my favorites: The Quiet Earth. Least Favorite? I Am Legend or The Postman... Take your pick.) and had recently been slightly bored by "The Road"... This movie surprised me. I expected heavy religious overtones, and while there are some(duh), they don't ruin the film by getting too preachy. The actionI went into this film expecting very little. I love end-of-the-world scenarios (One of my favorites: The Quiet Earth. Least Favorite? I Am Legend or The Postman... Take your pick.) and had recently been slightly bored by "The Road"... This movie surprised me. I expected heavy religious overtones, and while there are some(duh), they don't ruin the film by getting too preachy. The action sequences are well done and often quite brutal. Worth checking out. Expand
  67. Nov 16, 2010
    Post-apocalyptic times, man wanders along his "path", encounters raiders, cannibals & unsavouries, comes across a town, head of town wants him to find a book, man doesn't want to, head tries to persuade him unsuccessfully, carnage.
    As a fan out the game Fallout 3, this film really appealed to me & also having the bonus of my two favourite actors in the lead with the gorgeous Mila Kunis along side them.
    It's a pretty basic story with a man's journey to his destiny played out in a grisly, desperate world with Washington & Oldman as great as ever & the whole setting, backed up by some great music, really sucking you in from the start.
    Didn't see the twist coming & maybe need to watch it again to see if it worked.
  68. Aug 28, 2010
    Although this movie is about ideally saving Christianity, the characters do a phenomenal job. You buy in right off the bat to a rag-tag Denzel Washington and accompany him on a epic, intense, and emotional journey, I highly recommend seeing it.
  69. Jan 4, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Why? Why are there so many negative reviews for this the film is epic, Denzel Washingtons performance is nothing short of spectacular! I mean the whole film is so immersive I can't see how anyone could dislike it. If you are a big fallout 3 fan then you will love this hands down.

The story is a rather good one with the flaw that he is apparently blind but the "faith" guides him, it doesn't exactly say that but that is what it hints at, if he is blind then it the film talks a lot of crap.

The actors and setting is very well done and gives off the feeling of an apocalypse, the "action" scenes are well done and the film adds brutality, drama, thriller and even a slight hint of comedy in a few places.

I hope you can see why I have given 10/10 because the film deserves no less, the reason it is getting bad reviews anyway is because Metacritic seems to give all its films bad reviews even the spectacular ones.
  70. Dec 18, 2010
    A great movie, i really didnt know what to exspect going to see it maybe thats why it was so good. acting was grea. the actors explained the plot well and the fight scenes pretty good to. most of the movie kepps you on the edge you really dont know what will happen next. In the end this movie is worth your time and you wont waste your money.
  71. Jan 3, 2011
    To all the people giving this movie a negative review, stop it. I bet all of you were hopped up on Mountain Dew and Redbull ready to see violence before you got to the theater. Also to all of the people that say that there wasn't enough violence in the movie probably didn't stop to think that the movie wasn't really an action movie, it was about Eli's journey and what he went through onTo all the people giving this movie a negative review, stop it. I bet all of you were hopped up on Mountain Dew and Redbull ready to see violence before you got to the theater. Also to all of the people that say that there wasn't enough violence in the movie probably didn't stop to think that the movie wasn't really an action movie, it was about Eli's journey and what he went through on that journey, not about all the people he killed. The movie was great and doesnt deserve to be rated poorly just because it wasn't what you thought it was going to be when you went to see it. Sure the movie was predictable but if we rated movies on predictability then over 90% of movies would fail. All that being said the movie is worth every penny and deserves to be seen. The overall plot is fresh and something that will intrigue you and keep you watching. Just dont go into it thinking Denzel Washington is a cold blooded assassin on a violent warpath for revenge. And one more thing, just because the movie plot centers around the bible, doesnt mean that the writers were trying to convert the entire audience to Christianity. It appears that the only reason people say that is because they themselves are unsure of their own religious beliefs. Expand
  72. MTM
    Jul 6, 2011
    Movie was great.... there was great action with great acting.. the movie really lets you feel the horrors of society today and what it could be in the future. You will like this if you love a good story, love action, and don't mind religion... considering the whole story is based on the Bible.
  73. Mar 25, 2011
    A good movie to watch on the satellite on a weekend day. Has good acting, good characters and even a good story. It even showed lots about how the environment would be like in a post apocalyptic time. I liked the movie.
  74. Apr 26, 2011
    This movie is a Christian movie... I watched the trailers and everything and I thought it wouldn't be like that. This movie is great it combines a good message along with action, miniguns, and cannibals. If you are another religion then you might get mad at it because in a way it is false advertisement, however if you are Christian you will love this movie.
  75. Jul 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Amazing movie, with good action and history. The ironic end is the better part of the hole film, it's difficult see an good movie like this today. Denzel makes for a incredible performance as usual. Expand
  76. CRL
    Aug 4, 2011
    Post-apocalyptic is overused, but that's really the only fault I found with this movie. The acting was superb and the world was amazingly detailed to the point of perfection. Washington and Kunis show some real chemistry, and Gary Oldman is perfect for his role. The story was purely enjoyable, though maybe not as impactful as its director meant it to be, and the irony at the end give itPost-apocalyptic is overused, but that's really the only fault I found with this movie. The acting was superb and the world was amazingly detailed to the point of perfection. Washington and Kunis show some real chemistry, and Gary Oldman is perfect for his role. The story was purely enjoyable, though maybe not as impactful as its director meant it to be, and the irony at the end give it an almost perfect touch. Expand
  77. Aug 5, 2011
    This Was A Great Film. The Only Reason I Gave It A 9 Is Because Some Of The Scenes Were A Little Disturbing. Good Storyline. Seems Just Like Fallout 3. But No Mutants. Or Other Assorted Enemies. So Thats Another Reason I Didn't Give It A 10. It Lacked Exciting Enemies Because Carnegie Wasnt That Exciting Of An Enemy And When I Watched His Story In The Blu-Ray Speicial Features It Turns OutThis Was A Great Film. The Only Reason I Gave It A 9 Is Because Some Of The Scenes Were A Little Disturbing. Good Storyline. Seems Just Like Fallout 3. But No Mutants. Or Other Assorted Enemies. So Thats Another Reason I Didn't Give It A 10. It Lacked Exciting Enemies Because Carnegie Wasnt That Exciting Of An Enemy And When I Watched His Story In The Blu-Ray Speicial Features It Turns Out He Burned His Own House Down Just Because His Dad Caught Him Reading An Inappropriate Magazine. Nice. Still, I Would Have Prefered Some Sort Of Creature In It Other Then Gory Raiders, torturers And Slackers. But Overall, great Movie. Collapse
  78. IvanD.
    Jan 20, 2010
    I'm extremely agnostic, but I really don't care how much religion the movie had. I have as much believe in Christianity, as I do the Lord of the Rings. Alls I can tell you is that the action was tight, and the acting was expectable. The plot twist at the end only made me wonder how blind he was (there are varying levels).
  79. JoeM
    Jan 17, 2010
    Very cool movie with a great twist and message. I highly recommend this film.
  80. Nov 9, 2010
    An awesome film. Denzel kills it as always. The story line is great and so is the cast. For anyone who hasn't seen it yet, this is a must watch. Enjoy.
  81. Jan 24, 2011
    A stylish film with a underlying current of fetishist violence. The tone of the film has impact and mimics the nature of apocalypse well. I feel compelled to reminisce about human existence, the artistic visuals are a treat and well worth the heavy-handed contrast. There is a heavy anti-human feeling which is counter balanced by the redemptive righteousness of Denzel Washington. PrettyA stylish film with a underlying current of fetishist violence. The tone of the film has impact and mimics the nature of apocalypse well. I feel compelled to reminisce about human existence, the artistic visuals are a treat and well worth the heavy-handed contrast. There is a heavy anti-human feeling which is counter balanced by the redemptive righteousness of Denzel Washington. Pretty much your Hollywoood norm but done with finesse. 8/10 81/100 Expand
  82. Mar 19, 2013
    Denzel Washington stars in perhaps not one of his best performances, but certainly memorable in this post-apocalyptic tale in perhaps a not too far away reality.
    Washington is Eli, a lone walker travelling across the American wasteland for the past 30 years, we only ever know that he is travelling west, through faith. The first 20 minutes of the film are quite touching and a more personal favourite, as Eli sits alone, eating a hunted cat and staring into nothing, pondering life, its quite touching to watch when actors are in their element like this.
    That is pretty much where we leave the sincerity of the film, as Eli happens upon a town run by the obsessive and often ruthless Carnegie (Gary Oldman), who sees Eli much like himself in his literate ways.
    Eli shows a knack for fighting and hunting, and this is made clear as he dispatches of Carnegie's men as Carnegie wants the book that Eli possesses, the last copy of the Holy Bible, Eli is on a mission, but Carnegie wishes to possess the book to 'control the weak'.
    The film has been excellently rendered to show a gritty yet visually stunning and beautifully bleak future, the cinematography is excellent, especially in particular shootout at a house, where the camera travels in and out throughout the action and follows the bomb being thrown. But it can sometimes be its own worst enemy, as some scenes are perhaps just too dramatised that doesn't suit the film.
    The story itself is pretty standard yet enjoyable, but also muddled. It was perhaps just touching too much on a religious note which will of course deter viewers, a film that started off promising yet turned perhaps a little to far-reaching in pursuit of a book, yet I can't really blame this as perhaps a point for this is the lengths people would go to for something they desire if presented with a post-apocalyptic challenge.
    The film has plenty of action that blends well with the story and the excellent cinematography, the story may eventually grow and you to have a lasting effect, but a twist in the climax of the story may just have you picking your jaw up from the ground, and I think this was a satisfying turn of events to fit the religious nature of the film.
    Denzel Washington and Gary Oldman put in stellar turns as Eli and Carnegie respectively, with Eli placing much of faith in God and being a likeable character, while Carnegie has bigger plans for himself and does an excellent turn as the villainous character.
    The Book of Eli, while muddled and at some points could be accused of religious brainwashing, is still a very enjoyable and original take on a post-apocalyptic universe that surprises right to the credits rolling.
  83. Sep 14, 2013
    I love this movie, and the Main character.The Shades he wears fit him, cause hes mysterious, and makes everybody wonder what hes about, and capable of. It`s a dark world and to get by you better be prepared to defend you`re self. The movie gets deep with the Main Character Faith.
  84. Nov 28, 2012
    Visually/audibly impressive and featuring a stoic, yet engraining performance from the always-impressive Academy Award Winner Denzel Washington.
  85. Dec 30, 2012
    Great movie but terrible dialogue. The religious views of Christianity and the bible are both realistic and non-realistic. Denzel did great, he would have been fantastic if they decided to hire a better writer and maybe a better directer.
  86. Jul 8, 2013
    I'm not sure why this got such mixed critical reception, I loved it. The reveal at the ending was quite unique, and the cinematography and set design were impeccable, along with a solid performance from Denzel. What's not to like?
  87. May 16, 2013
    ''this was a great movie i love movies about apocolypses denzel gives a powerful performance as eli mila kunis was sexy and the cast was good its a must see u will like it
  88. Jan 25, 2014
    The end of "The Book of Eli" surprised the hell out of me. Twist endings, like this one, is cool, because it makes the movie that much more interesting and not just a waste of time. Although I do believe this film overuses the Christianity theme, but it is a fun, action packed movie to watch. Denzel did an excellent job and i recommend everyone see this film at least once.
  89. May 24, 2015
    The Book of Eli is an excellent and creative film. Rather than have another post apocalyptic film filled with Zombies the Hughes brothers constructed a film with some great content. The cast in this film is great. Its hard to doubt Denzel Washington in any role he's and I think he was most appropriate choice for the role of Eli and Gary Oldman who is one of the most versatile actors ofThe Book of Eli is an excellent and creative film. Rather than have another post apocalyptic film filled with Zombies the Hughes brothers constructed a film with some great content. The cast in this film is great. Its hard to doubt Denzel Washington in any role he's and I think he was most appropriate choice for the role of Eli and Gary Oldman who is one of the most versatile actors of this time was great as the villain. I liked the way the film looked and Eli may have seemed unkillable at points in this film but that's because he was driven with a higher purpose and he was determined to achieve his dream. Expand
  90. Dec 11, 2015
    This is one of the best christian-fiction movies i had. If you are into action movies, and into Jesus, this one is for you. The OST is very amazing and shows a powerful story.

1. The Hughes Brothers' measured, well-paced direction complements the comic-book simplicity of this narrative.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Some mordant comic touches would have been welcome throughout the picture, which has a somber tone that suffers a bit from lack of modulation and nuance.
  3. The New Yorker
    Reviewed by: David Denby
    The Book of Eli combines the maximum in hollow piety with remorseless violence. [18 Jan. 2010, p.82]