7.3

1. Jan 25, 2014
    The end of "The Book of Eli" surprised the hell out of me. Twist endings, like this one, is cool, because it makes the movie that much more interesting and not just a waste of time. Although I do believe this film overuses the Christianity theme, but it is a fun, action packed movie to watch. Denzel did an excellent job and i recommend everyone see this film at least once.
  2. Sep 14, 2013
    I love this movie, and the Main character.The Shades he wears fit him, cause hes mysterious, and makes everybody wonder what hes about, and capable of. It`s a dark world and to get by you better be prepared to defend you`re self. The movie gets deep with the Main Character Faith.
  3. May 16, 2013
    ''this was a great movie i love movies about apocolypses denzel gives a powerful performance as eli mila kunis was sexy and the cast was good its a must see u will like it
  4. Aug 5, 2011
    This Was A Great Film. The Only Reason I Gave It A 9 Is Because Some Of The Scenes Were A Little Disturbing. Good Storyline. Seems Just Like Fallout 3. But No Mutants. Or Other Assorted Enemies. So Thats Another Reason I Didn't Give It A 10. It Lacked Exciting Enemies Because Carnegie Wasnt That Exciting Of An Enemy And When I Watched His Story In The Blu-Ray Speicial Features It Turns Out He Burned His Own House Down Just Because His Dad Caught Him Reading An Inappropriate Magazine. Nice. Still, I Would Have Prefered Some Sort Of Creature In It Other Then Gory Raiders, torturers And Slackers. But Overall, great Movie. Expand
  5. CRL
    Aug 4, 2011
    Post-apocalyptic is overused, but that's really the only fault I found with this movie. The acting was superb and the world was amazingly detailed to the point of perfection. Washington and Kunis show some real chemistry, and Gary Oldman is perfect for his role. The story was purely enjoyable, though maybe not as impactful as its director meant it to be, and the irony at the end give it an almost perfect touch. Expand
  6. Apr 26, 2011
    This movie is a Christian movie... I watched the trailers and everything and I thought it wouldn't be like that. This movie is great it combines a good message along with action, miniguns, and cannibals. If you are another religion then you might get mad at it because in a way it is false advertisement, however if you are Christian you will love this movie.
  7. Jan 4, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Why? Why are there so many negative reviews for this the film is epic, Denzel Washingtons performance is nothing short of spectacular! I mean the whole film is so immersive I can't see how anyone could dislike it. If you are a big fallout 3 fan then you will love this hands down.

The story is a rather good one with the flaw that he is apparently blind but the "faith" guides him, it doesn't exactly say that but that is what it hints at, if he is blind then it the film talks a lot of crap.

The actors and setting is very well done and gives off the feeling of an apocalypse, the "action" scenes are well done and the film adds brutality, drama, thriller and even a slight hint of comedy in a few places.

I hope you can see why I have given 10/10 because the film deserves no less, the reason it is getting bad reviews anyway is because Metacritic seems to give all its films bad reviews even the spectacular ones.
  8. Jan 3, 2011
    To all the people giving this movie a negative review, stop it. I bet all of you were hopped up on Mountain Dew and Redbull ready to see violence before you got to the theater. Also to all of the people that say that there wasn't enough violence in the movie probably didn't stop to think that the movie wasn't really an action movie, it was about Eli's journey and what he went through on that journey, not about all the people he killed. The movie was great and doesnt deserve to be rated poorly just because it wasn't what you thought it was going to be when you went to see it. Sure the movie was predictable but if we rated movies on predictability then over 90% of movies would fail. All that being said the movie is worth every penny and deserves to be seen. The overall plot is fresh and something that will intrigue you and keep you watching. Just dont go into it thinking Denzel Washington is a cold blooded assassin on a violent warpath for revenge. And one more thing, just because the movie plot centers around the bible, doesnt mean that the writers were trying to convert the entire audience to Christianity. It appears that the only reason people say that is because they themselves are unsure of their own religious beliefs. Expand
  9. Dec 18, 2010
    A great movie, i really didnt know what to exspect going to see it maybe thats why it was so good. acting was grea. the actors explained the plot well and the fight scenes pretty good to. most of the movie kepps you on the edge you really dont know what will happen next. In the end this movie is worth your time and you wont waste your money.
  10. Nov 9, 2010
    An awesome film. Denzel kills it as always. The story line is great and so is the cast. For anyone who hasn't seen it yet, this is a must watch. Enjoy.
  11. Aug 28, 2010
    Although this movie is about ideally saving Christianity, the characters do a phenomenal job. You buy in right off the bat to a rag-tag Denzel Washington and accompany him on a epic, intense, and emotional journey, I highly recommend seeing it.

1. The Hughes Brothers' measured, well-paced direction complements the comic-book simplicity of this narrative.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Some mordant comic touches would have been welcome throughout the picture, which has a somber tone that suffers a bit from lack of modulation and nuance.
    The Book of Eli combines the maximum in hollow piety with remorseless violence. [18 Jan. 2010, p.82]