7.3

1. Andrewthegreat
    Jan 19, 2010
    This movie was just amazing. I give it ten stars, the ending was very ironic!
  2. amarl.
    Jan 21, 2010
    A good action movie.You should judge movie for storytelling and for it's packaging.
  3. KyleB
    Feb 9, 2010
    Movie was epic and amazing! Dont believe what the critics say and go see this movie!!!
  4. JonathanM.
    May 31, 2010
    A great film, like no other.
  5. TomC.
    Jun 15, 2010
    Contrary to what haters out there are saying, it's a very unique, thoughtful, and well executed film. To counter the zero below, you certainly will NOT regret watching it.
  6. KyleW.
    Feb 4, 2010
    I thought it was a good movie it keeps you thinking throughout and it has great fight scenes in it and a suprise twist at the end. So overall, I give the film a 10.
  7. ChristopherA.
    Jun 23, 2010
    Part horror and part action, this movie rocked. I never became bored once, and I like very few movies. It was original, which is a rare thing for movies nowadays. The only reason I saw this movie was because Gary Oldman was in it, but I was highly impressed with Denzel Washington as well. I wish more movies of this quality were made.
  8. LindaR.
    Jan 15, 2010
    Great film. Another Denzel Washington masterpiece.
  9. KieranM
    Jan 16, 2010
    Went in with determined to like it, though I had some doubts. I was blown away. Great film.
  10. CathyL.
    Jan 17, 2010
    A wonderful, inventive movie. I thought about leaving early on due to the violence and depressing nature of the beginning of the movie...so glad I stayed. This a movie with real meat, which is a real change from the drivel that usually comes out of Hollywood. Loved it.
  11. NeilV
    Jan 17, 2010
    The Book of Eli is truly one of the top 5 movies that I have ever seen, in company with Shawshank Redemption and Braveheart. It is the best of Denzel's work (which says a great deal when you are talking about Courage Under Fire, the Fallen, Training Day, the Bone Collector, et al.). Gary Oldman and Mila Kunis were also special. The music, "300-esque" filming technique and overall The Book of Eli is truly one of the top 5 movies that I have ever seen, in company with Shawshank Redemption and Braveheart. It is the best of Denzel's work (which says a great deal when you are talking about Courage Under Fire, the Fallen, Training Day, the Bone Collector, et al.). Gary Oldman and Mila Kunis were also special. The music, "300-esque" filming technique and overall style of the film was evocative of a near-hopeless post-apocalyptic world where Eli remains one of the sole positive forces. An earlier reviewer was correct, in many ways this was the film version of the game Fallout 3, with a spiritual twist. Eli is a beautiful masterpiece which will warm the soul. Expand
  12. TylerH
    Jan 18, 2010
    Surprisingly good movie, but different than you would expect from seeing previews. Exceptionally well acted and a surprizingly good plot. It contains holes, but its a movie and I got over it. Exceeded my expectations, one of my favorites.
  13. DanielE
    Jan 19, 2010
    Seems most of the negative reviews from critics include some kind of derogatory remark about religion. I would be willing to bet the aforesaid reviewers are athiests or agnostic. Anyway, the score and story are both excellent! Gary Oldman is always good and his performance in this film is no exception. Don't listen to negative & biased reviews this film is very good.
  14. JohnS.
    Jan 23, 2010
    Excellent movie loved am a christian. Very good moral movie! True measures of a man. If you thought it was horrible you went to see it for the wrong reasons and need to go to church and need a father figure. Walk by faith not by sight as the key lines in the movie say.
  15. JoelC
    Jan 24, 2010
    Wow... Just WOW! Ok so this movie will not be widely accepted or exalted due to its highly religious theme and message. It is not a universal religious theme such as 2012 that calls for various interpretations, and it is not as candy coated or indirect as Narnia's Christian message... it is a movie which, consciously or unconsciously, sends a crystal clear message to any believer Wow... Just WOW! Ok so this movie will not be widely accepted or exalted due to its highly religious theme and message. It is not a universal religious theme such as 2012 that calls for various interpretations, and it is not as candy coated or indirect as Narnia's Christian message... it is a movie which, consciously or unconsciously, sends a crystal clear message to any believer that sees it. So bottom line... it will be criticized by any non-believer as a stupid film, and exalted by any devoted follower of Christ. If you are a believer I invite you to listen carefully to every word in this movie from both the main character and the villain... and also the meaning beyond the movie in terms of the writer's intentions, or lack of, and connect it to scripture. If you are a believer wanting to follow in God's path in order to fulfill His purpose, be ready to hear a message that will minister to your life as a Christian... whether it be a message of hope or enlightenment. Expand
  16. DR
    Feb 5, 2010
    This movie is the greatest, most inspirational movie that I have seen. It completely renewed my faith in movies to see somthing that totally relies on God to make it what it is. I am so proud Denzel for making this movie so that others might see just how important it is to rely on God. I totally give it an A+++.
  17. km
    Feb 5, 2010
    This was an outstanding must see movie!!! Denzel was awesome and the makers of the film did an outstanding job as well! If only we had more movies like this being made!
  18. EvanG.
    Mar 8, 2010
    Great movie! Absolutely loved everything about it. Critics be damned.
  19. NickK.
    Jun 4, 2010
    10 also to counteract 0's. I hate metacritic, not sure why I bother here anymore. Its such terrible reviewing. Anyway the movie was good in its own way and the religious outlook was a good touch/twist in the end. I enjoyed the movie enough that I will buy it for 10 bucks on bluray one day.
  20. FrancineM
    Jan 15, 2010
    Wow! This film is a metaphor in every since of the word. Interestingly, many will not understand it,however that is expected. One should ask themselves, when I read the bible do I believe it,or consider it a folklore? Remember, faith is blind and to truly grasp the true meaning of the Word one must have the key.
  21. JayF
    Jan 15, 2010
    Must see movie. Reminds me of the video game Fallout mixed with Mad Max and the Road. Amazing movie. As usual the snobby critics wouldnt know a good movie if it hit them over the head. This is a MUST SEE if there ever was one.
  22. JuanaW.
    Jan 15, 2010
    I loved the movie it was great. People who didnt like it just didnt understand it they need to read there bibles more often thats what i think about it.
  23. DianeV
    Jan 16, 2010
    Without a doubt the best movie I've ever seen. There is never a dull moment, Denzel Washington is amazing (as usual) and the message is pure and magnificent!
  24. J.L.
    Jan 17, 2010
    Great movie! God's word endures even in the attempt of man to destroy it! God does direct our footsteps and protects us as the movie illustrates with Eli. Entertaining and delivers a very strong message! The fact that Eli was blind was huge in making that message even stronger!
  25. Sara
    Feb 13, 2010
    I've seen it 3 times ... it just gets better with each viewing. Unbelievable ... a must-see, in my books.
  26. DougL
    Feb 16, 2010
    Wow! Possibly one of the best films I have seen in a long time. The acting is excellent and the ending will blow your mind. Of course its hard for Denzel to make a bad movie.
  27. johnw.
    Feb 18, 2010
    Great movie, but then again pretty much any movie with Denzel in it is awesome. Its a shame to see it low-rated by people who just can't deal with the Christian concepts in it. Even if your not a Christian, I don't see how you could rate this movie a 0. It had a cool twist in the end, and overall an awesome movie. A definite must see in the theaters.
  28. BrianE
    Mar 12, 2010
    This 10 is mostly to counteract the idiots giving this a 0. This was an excellent story, and those bashing it for telling a story of faith should leave their opinions to themselves. Ok, we get it. You're an edgy internet nerd who loves to bash popular opinions. Get over yourself. Point is, this story would be excellent if the book was the Torah, the Qur'an, etc. They put the This 10 is mostly to counteract the idiots giving this a 0. This was an excellent story, and those bashing it for telling a story of faith should leave their opinions to themselves. Ok, we get it. You're an edgy internet nerd who loves to bash popular opinions. Get over yourself. Point is, this story would be excellent if the book was the Torah, the Qur'an, etc. They put the written King James version between these, if I recall correctly at the end. Faith of all types needed to be preserved, was the meaning. Collapse
  29. JohnnyH.
    Jun 19, 2010
    Seriously, any bad ratings of this movie comes from atheist pricks who get their panties in a wad whenever they hear the word "God" or see a Bible. This movie is fun, exciting and one of the most enjoyable movies i've seen in a while.
  30. Kevin
    Jun 24, 2010
    Apparently MIKE and Morrison B. have not seen the movie. Best movie I have seen in a long time. The twist is not worn out. The action is great. In a post apocalyptic world how many people do you expect to be alive? Therefore not much to kill. Great portrait this movie paints. Christian movie? Yes to the core. One that is among the best movies IMO even if the critics disagree.
  31. Jan 4, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Why? Why are there so many negative reviews for this the film is epic, Denzel Washingtons performance is nothing short of spectacular! I mean the whole film is so immersive I can't see how anyone could dislike it. If you are a big fallout 3 fan then you will love this hands down.

The story is a rather good one with the flaw that he is apparently blind but the "faith" guides him, it doesn't exactly say that but that is what it hints at, if he is blind then it the film talks a lot of crap.

The actors and setting is very well done and gives off the feeling of an apocalypse, the "action" scenes are well done and the film adds brutality, drama, thriller and even a slight hint of comedy in a few places.

I hope you can see why I have given 10/10 because the film deserves no less, the reason it is getting bad reviews anyway is because Metacritic seems to give all its films bad reviews even the spectacular ones.
  32. Apr 26, 2011
    This movie is a Christian movie... I watched the trailers and everything and I thought it wouldn't be like that. This movie is great it combines a good message along with action, miniguns, and cannibals. If you are another religion then you might get mad at it because in a way it is false advertisement, however if you are Christian you will love this movie.
  33. LucyC.
    Jan 20, 2010
    WOW I thought it was a very good movie. I love the twist at the end. Definitely worth watching.
  34. JamesD.
    Apr 12, 2010
    Denzel makes for a incredible performance as usual. And coming from an Atheist I'd say the Christian "propaganda" does well to give meaning to the story. And since the movie was made in America I'm assuming that's why its Christian and not Buddhism or any other "holy" book in the world. I loved the twist. This movie proves that Christians can make good movies without Denzel makes for a incredible performance as usual. And coming from an Atheist I'd say the Christian "propaganda" does well to give meaning to the story. And since the movie was made in America I'm assuming that's why its Christian and not Buddhism or any other "holy" book in the world. I loved the twist. This movie proves that Christians can make good movies without smothering it with Christ. Expand
    Jan 15, 2010
    Reminds me of my favorite game, Fallout. Life isn't always pretty, and when it comes down to 'kill or be killed'....its best to be the one left standing. Denzel gives you that sense, that HE will be the last one standing.
  36. ChrisP
    Jan 16, 2010
    One of the more satisfying post-apocalyptic movies I've seen. Some find the pacing a little slow, but it worked for me. The cinematography and score were excellent. They really made it look and feel like the end of the world. Denzel and Oldman were great and there were a lot of great supporting roles, too. The fight scenes were pretty intense, I thought.
  37. JasonC.
    Jan 23, 2010
    Great movie, keeps you thinking. If your a human secularist like most movie critics you probably won't like it. Your better to go watch Avatar instead.
  38. franks
    Feb 14, 2010
    Sadly most movie critics are intolerent of a moral character with a christian worldview.
  39. JoeM
    Jan 17, 2010
    Very cool movie with a great twist and message. I highly recommend this film.
  40. GarrettH
    Jan 18, 2010
    Solid acting, comfortable pacing, impactful action, a strong sense of direction, a few welcome laughs, and just enough weight to make you feel something more than ur average action flick based on a simple idea.
  41. DanW.
    Jan 18, 2010
    This was a very good movie, however it is not for everyone this movie is not to be taken at face value but more to be looked upon as pointing out the ways of our society their is the classic struggle of good and evil and also the idea of how religion can both destroy and save us. Yes there is a "twist" at the end but it's not really what I would consider a big deal and really This was a very good movie, however it is not for everyone this movie is not to be taken at face value but more to be looked upon as pointing out the ways of our society their is the classic struggle of good and evil and also the idea of how religion can both destroy and save us. Yes there is a "twist" at the end but it's not really what I would consider a big deal and really doesn't have an impact on the story as a whole, it's just kind of there and cool. Expand
  42. FranG
    Jan 21, 2010
    I encourage all Christians to see this movie, it is about the Bible, I did not see that fact mention in any reviews. The ending will make you rethink the entire movie and wanting to see it again.
  43. RickyB.
    Jan 30, 2010
    Not really knowing what to expect going into the theater, during the first half of this movie all i could think was "wow, this is the best movie I've seen in years!" because, well, so far it was. right around the scene where they get to the house and have the "big showdown" where eli loses the bible is where the movie started slipping. people keep whining about "religious themes" or Not really knowing what to expect going into the theater, during the first half of this movie all i could think was "wow, this is the best movie I've seen in years!" because, well, so far it was. right around the scene where they get to the house and have the "big showdown" where eli loses the bible is where the movie started slipping. people keep whining about "religious themes" or some crap, which I noticed but really just ignored because well who cares? lol but yeah great movie for the first half, pretty dumb ending but I'd watch it again. Expand
  44. AndyS
    Feb 18, 2010
    Great cinematography with good acting. I thought the story wasnt as far fetched as most think. I'm glad that Christianinty was shown in a good light for once.
  45. JacobS.
    Jan 15, 2010
    A great movie. I expected to be a bit grossed out by the gore, but it wasn't really that bad. The actors were quite good, especially Gary Oldman and Denzel Washington. I also really liked the twist at the end, and the action was very cool and stylish. I'm not a religious man, so I wasn't a huge fan of the Christian overtones...but even that didn't bother me because it A great movie. I expected to be a bit grossed out by the gore, but it wasn't really that bad. The actors were quite good, especially Gary Oldman and Denzel Washington. I also really liked the twist at the end, and the action was very cool and stylish. I'm not a religious man, so I wasn't a huge fan of the Christian overtones...but even that didn't bother me because it really added to the movie. All in all, a great film. Expand
  46. WilliamP.
    Jan 15, 2010
    Great. Makes me think of Clint Eastwood, but Denzel is even better. Yea the critic's say it's like a western. So is Avatar fools, but you give it a 10. huh? This movie was better, come on , it has Denzel!
  47. KyleS
    Jan 15, 2010
    Great movie. There's alot the snobby critics are missing in their respective attempts to immediately thumb their noses at the movie; they do so because the movie reminds them of other movies (which it does). That doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Eli never said the bibles were destroyed after the war, just because of the war. There's another observation they make about Great movie. There's alot the snobby critics are missing in their respective attempts to immediately thumb their noses at the movie; they do so because the movie reminds them of other movies (which it does). That doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Eli never said the bibles were destroyed after the war, just because of the war. There's another observation they make about the end of the movie which I don't want to address for fear of spoiling it. Just remember that what is implied at the end may not necessarily be so, if you remember details and think about it. The movie is a great one and the critics are what get a thumbs down for lack of ability to think about anything other than being sesquipedalian lexiphans. Don't worry, the critics will have to look it up, too. So, go watch "Book of Eli", I loved it and think most others will, too. Very inspirational. Expand
  48. AndyB.
    Jan 25, 2010
    I love the clowns who say: "Just another Religious, Bible thumping movie" right cause those are sooooo prevalent in Hollywood. Not. That said, if you are a believer, or are seeking a higher power, you will like this movie. If you don't believe and don't give a rip to believe then you won't like this movie. It's a polarizing film. I'm impressed that the script was I love the clowns who say: "Just another Religious, Bible thumping movie" right cause those are sooooo prevalent in Hollywood. Not. That said, if you are a believer, or are seeking a higher power, you will like this movie. If you don't believe and don't give a rip to believe then you won't like this movie. It's a polarizing film. I'm impressed that the script was actually picked up, that Denzel, a big-time actor actually did it. It makes me think there is hope considering all the non "Bible thumping" B.S. that Hollywood spits out. Expand
  49. Colin
    Jan 31, 2010
    Was blown away by the wtf ending they threw in. Awesome movie.
  50. JoeD
    Jan 31, 2010
    This was pretty epic. It was better than its ratings.
  51. Aug 28, 2010
    Although this movie is about ideally saving Christianity, the characters do a phenomenal job. You buy in right off the bat to a rag-tag Denzel Washington and accompany him on a epic, intense, and emotional journey, I highly recommend seeing it.
  52. Dec 18, 2010
    A great movie, i really didnt know what to exspect going to see it maybe thats why it was so good. acting was grea. the actors explained the plot well and the fight scenes pretty good to. most of the movie kepps you on the edge you really dont know what will happen next. In the end this movie is worth your time and you wont waste your money.
  53. Nov 9, 2010
    An awesome film. Denzel kills it as always. The story line is great and so is the cast. For anyone who hasn't seen it yet, this is a must watch. Enjoy.
  54. Jan 3, 2011
    To all the people giving this movie a negative review, stop it. I bet all of you were hopped up on Mountain Dew and Redbull ready to see violence before you got to the theater. Also to all of the people that say that there wasn't enough violence in the movie probably didn't stop to think that the movie wasn't really an action movie, it was about Eli's journey and what he went through onTo all the people giving this movie a negative review, stop it. I bet all of you were hopped up on Mountain Dew and Redbull ready to see violence before you got to the theater. Also to all of the people that say that there wasn't enough violence in the movie probably didn't stop to think that the movie wasn't really an action movie, it was about Eli's journey and what he went through on that journey, not about all the people he killed. The movie was great and doesnt deserve to be rated poorly just because it wasn't what you thought it was going to be when you went to see it. Sure the movie was predictable but if we rated movies on predictability then over 90% of movies would fail. All that being said the movie is worth every penny and deserves to be seen. The overall plot is fresh and something that will intrigue you and keep you watching. Just dont go into it thinking Denzel Washington is a cold blooded assassin on a violent warpath for revenge. And one more thing, just because the movie plot centers around the bible, doesnt mean that the writers were trying to convert the entire audience to Christianity. It appears that the only reason people say that is because they themselves are unsure of their own religious beliefs. Expand
  55. CRL
    Aug 4, 2011
    Post-apocalyptic is overused, but that's really the only fault I found with this movie. The acting was superb and the world was amazingly detailed to the point of perfection. Washington and Kunis show some real chemistry, and Gary Oldman is perfect for his role. The story was purely enjoyable, though maybe not as impactful as its director meant it to be, and the irony at the end give itPost-apocalyptic is overused, but that's really the only fault I found with this movie. The acting was superb and the world was amazingly detailed to the point of perfection. Washington and Kunis show some real chemistry, and Gary Oldman is perfect for his role. The story was purely enjoyable, though maybe not as impactful as its director meant it to be, and the irony at the end give it an almost perfect touch. Expand
  56. Aug 5, 2011
    This Was A Great Film. The Only Reason I Gave It A 9 Is Because Some Of The Scenes Were A Little Disturbing. Good Storyline. Seems Just Like Fallout 3. But No Mutants. Or Other Assorted Enemies. So Thats Another Reason I Didn't Give It A 10. It Lacked Exciting Enemies Because Carnegie Wasnt That Exciting Of An Enemy And When I Watched His Story In The Blu-Ray Speicial Features It Turns OutThis Was A Great Film. The Only Reason I Gave It A 9 Is Because Some Of The Scenes Were A Little Disturbing. Good Storyline. Seems Just Like Fallout 3. But No Mutants. Or Other Assorted Enemies. So Thats Another Reason I Didn't Give It A 10. It Lacked Exciting Enemies Because Carnegie Wasnt That Exciting Of An Enemy And When I Watched His Story In The Blu-Ray Speicial Features It Turns Out He Burned His Own House Down Just Because His Dad Caught Him Reading An Inappropriate Magazine. Nice. Still, I Would Have Prefered Some Sort Of Creature In It Other Then Gory Raiders, torturers And Slackers. But Overall, great Movie. Expand
  57. Sep 14, 2013
    I love this movie, and the Main character.The Shades he wears fit him, cause hes mysterious, and makes everybody wonder what hes about, and capable of. It`s a dark world and to get by you better be prepared to defend you`re self. The movie gets deep with the Main Character Faith.
  58. May 16, 2013
    ''this was a great movie i love movies about apocolypses denzel gives a powerful performance as eli mila kunis was sexy and the cast was good its a must see u will like it
  59. Jan 25, 2014
    The end of "The Book of Eli" surprised the hell out of me. Twist endings, like this one, is cool, because it makes the movie that much more interesting and not just a waste of time. Although I do believe this film overuses the Christianity theme, but it is a fun, action packed movie to watch. Denzel did an excellent job and i recommend everyone see this film at least once.

1. The Hughes Brothers' measured, well-paced direction complements the comic-book simplicity of this narrative.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Some mordant comic touches would have been welcome throughout the picture, which has a somber tone that suffers a bit from lack of modulation and nuance.
    The Book of Eli combines the maximum in hollow piety with remorseless violence. [18 Jan. 2010, p.82]