7.3

1. May 24, 2015
    The Book of Eli is an excellent and creative film. Rather than have another post apocalyptic film filled with Zombies the Hughes brothers constructed a film with some great content. The cast in this film is great. Its hard to doubt Denzel Washington in any role he's and I think he was most appropriate choice for the role of Eli and Gary Oldman who is one of the most versatile actors ofThe Book of Eli is an excellent and creative film. Rather than have another post apocalyptic film filled with Zombies the Hughes brothers constructed a film with some great content. The cast in this film is great. Its hard to doubt Denzel Washington in any role he's and I think he was most appropriate choice for the role of Eli and Gary Oldman who is one of the most versatile actors of this time was great as the villain. I liked the way the film looked and Eli may have seemed unkillable at points in this film but that's because he was driven with a higher purpose and he was determined to achieve his dream. Expand
  2. Jun 3, 2014
    Good pacing and good acting from the man himself Denzel Washington and a good supporting cast including Gary Oldman couldn't turn what was essentially a clever rip off of science fiction classic Farenheit 451 into a stand alone work with its own merits. SciFi has become the realm of the 'calculated steal' in recent years which is a bad thing for SF fans. In 451 people have memorized booksGood pacing and good acting from the man himself Denzel Washington and a good supporting cast including Gary Oldman couldn't turn what was essentially a clever rip off of science fiction classic Farenheit 451 into a stand alone work with its own merits. SciFi has become the realm of the 'calculated steal' in recent years which is a bad thing for SF fans. In 451 people have memorized books that have been destroyed-keepig them for humanity to presumably remake later-its the same thing in this film-but only regarding one book. You can probably imagine which one without seeing it which in a way makes it kind of a soft sell of religion. Eli is Saturday matinee stuff-nothing more. Expand
  3. Jan 25, 2014
    The end of "The Book of Eli" surprised the hell out of me. Twist endings, like this one, is cool, because it makes the movie that much more interesting and not just a waste of time. Although I do believe this film overuses the Christianity theme, but it is a fun, action packed movie to watch. Denzel did an excellent job and i recommend everyone see this film at least once.
  4. Sep 14, 2013
    I love this movie, and the Main character.The Shades he wears fit him, cause hes mysterious, and makes everybody wonder what hes about, and capable of. It`s a dark world and to get by you better be prepared to defend you`re self. The movie gets deep with the Main Character Faith.
  5. Jul 8, 2013
    I'm not sure why this got such mixed critical reception, I loved it. The reveal at the ending was quite unique, and the cinematography and set design were impeccable, along with a solid performance from Denzel. What's not to like?
  6. May 16, 2013
    ''this was a great movie i love movies about apocolypses denzel gives a powerful performance as eli mila kunis was sexy and the cast was good its a must see u will like it
  7. Mar 19, 2013
    Denzel Washington stars in perhaps not one of his best performances, but certainly memorable in this post-apocalyptic tale in perhaps a not too far away reality.
    Washington is Eli, a lone walker travelling across the American wasteland for the past 30 years, we only ever know that he is travelling west, through faith. The first 20 minutes of the film are quite touching and a more personal favourite, as Eli sits alone, eating a hunted cat and staring into nothing, pondering life, its quite touching to watch when actors are in their element like this.
    That is pretty much where we leave the sincerity of the film, as Eli happens upon a town run by the obsessive and often ruthless Carnegie (Gary Oldman), who sees Eli much like himself in his literate ways.
    Eli shows a knack for fighting and hunting, and this is made clear as he dispatches of Carnegie's men as Carnegie wants the book that Eli possesses, the last copy of the Holy Bible, Eli is on a mission, but Carnegie wishes to possess the book to 'control the weak'.
    The film has been excellently rendered to show a gritty yet visually stunning and beautifully bleak future, the cinematography is excellent, especially in particular shootout at a house, where the camera travels in and out throughout the action and follows the bomb being thrown. But it can sometimes be its own worst enemy, as some scenes are perhaps just too dramatised that doesn't suit the film.
    The story itself is pretty standard yet enjoyable, but also muddled. It was perhaps just touching too much on a religious note which will of course deter viewers, a film that started off promising yet turned perhaps a little to far-reaching in pursuit of a book, yet I can't really blame this as perhaps a point for this is the lengths people would go to for something they desire if presented with a post-apocalyptic challenge.
    The film has plenty of action that blends well with the story and the excellent cinematography, the story may eventually grow and you to have a lasting effect, but a twist in the climax of the story may just have you picking your jaw up from the ground, and I think this was a satisfying turn of events to fit the religious nature of the film.
    Denzel Washington and Gary Oldman put in stellar turns as Eli and Carnegie respectively, with Eli placing much of faith in God and being a likeable character, while Carnegie has bigger plans for himself and does an excellent turn as the villainous character.
    The Book of Eli, while muddled and at some points could be accused of religious brainwashing, is still a very enjoyable and original take on a post-apocalyptic universe that surprises right to the credits rolling.
  8. Feb 24, 2013
    This movie had the right idea, but left far to many unanswered questions. I was expecting a lot more based on the previews and descriptions, but I was left with a film that was not unique. Denzel Washington was amazing as usual, but sadly, overall, The Book of Eli wasn't anything special. Just another tale about the world will end one day and reveal what savage beasts we truly are.
  9. Feb 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Decent post-apocalyptic movie. Washington's acting is good, Gary Oldman is so-so as villain (I consider him a real chameleon actor, who can play brilliant villains, but here the character He portrays is somewhat weak). The twist of the movie is totally unrealistic (Yeah I get it, but anyway it is very unrealistic). Overall it worth a look, but that all. Ps: I do not like how American centric the movie was. I am sure there are a lot more Bibles in Europe, that survived, so Eli hardly saved the last remaining one (It might be the last one there, but the world is a lot bigger place than that.), Expand
  10. Feb 18, 2013
    You can watch The Book Of Eli, if you like Post- acpolyspe films you will certainly hate this film. The Book Of Eli is brutal and long. 2/10 for Denzel Washington and Mila Kunis, otherwise 0
  11. Dec 30, 2012
    Great movie but terrible dialogue. The religious views of Christianity and the bible are both realistic and non-realistic. Denzel did great, he would have been fantastic if they decided to hire a better writer and maybe a better directer.
  12. Dec 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is a scam. OK - the book is a Bible. That's it, I just saved you time and money. Not only that but Eli is blind and the Bible is written in braille. Oh, maybe everyone in post-apocalyptic world can read braille nice and easy. These people are screwed. Expand
  13. Dec 8, 2012
    I originally had no intention of seeing this movie, but I had a free rental so I gave it a shot. It is a really good movie. The action is great. It is a really enjoyable film. It even throws a little religion into the mix.
  14. Nov 28, 2012
    Visually/audibly impressive and featuring a stoic, yet engraining performance from the always-impressive Academy Award Winner Denzel Washington.
  15. Aug 27, 2012
    The most that I can say about 'Book of Eli' is that Denzel Washington gives a solid performance and the apocalyptic setting is very convincing. Everything else is meh. My biggest problem with the film had to do with it's pacing. It takes way too long to establish the main conflict of the film, which basically centers on Denzel being hunted by Gary Oldman because he carries the last knownThe most that I can say about 'Book of Eli' is that Denzel Washington gives a solid performance and the apocalyptic setting is very convincing. Everything else is meh. My biggest problem with the film had to do with it's pacing. It takes way too long to establish the main conflict of the film, which basically centers on Denzel being hunted by Gary Oldman because he carries the last known Bible in existence. It takes nearly an hour just to get to the conflict and the film runs just under 2 hours. If the pacing was sped up a little bit, my feelings toward the film could have been a bit stronger than they already are. Not bad by any means, but the slowness of everything keeps it from being great. Expand
  16. May 17, 2012
    This movie is like Mad Max, without cars or irony or any meaning, everything is replaced by christian propaganda. In a world starved and lacking fuel people wouldn't bother very much about chasing a fanatical blind fencer but they would try to find a way to recover their technological knowledge. Everything else is better: The road, Mad Max, Escape from New York, even Red Dawn...
    If you
    If you want a post apocalyptic fiction about the importance of religion for the recovery of civilization you could read "A canticle for Leibovitz" by Walter M. Miller jr.
  17. Mar 7, 2012
    Christian propagandizing piffle pretending to be an action-adventure movie. Apparently, after most people die and the rest are left to suffer in a living nightmare, we're supposed to feel good that a man (the messiah?) comes along and recites the bible. Exactly what has been solved or even improved in the slightest way? The Road does it a million times better and without the sermonizing.
  18. Nov 9, 2011
    The Hughes Brothers' "The Book of Eli" is a entertaining movie with a solid grim tone and quick, fast paced action. However, it could have done so much more than consistently managing it's apocalyptic mood...
  19. Oct 9, 2011
    We have seen many Post Apocalyptic movies and video games now and this movie doesnt do much new that hasnt been done before. If the characters were compelling the movie could still work but its all just standard, the overall quest of the movie was nothing to get excited about. Many of the out comes of its scenes were predictable as soon as they started and the overall 'twist' of the movieWe have seen many Post Apocalyptic movies and video games now and this movie doesnt do much new that hasnt been done before. If the characters were compelling the movie could still work but its all just standard, the overall quest of the movie was nothing to get excited about. Many of the out comes of its scenes were predictable as soon as they started and the overall 'twist' of the movie was a let down. The movie is watchable of course, and its not too bad but not too good or original either. Expand
  20. Aug 5, 2011
    This Was A Great Film. The Only Reason I Gave It A 9 Is Because Some Of The Scenes Were A Little Disturbing. Good Storyline. Seems Just Like Fallout 3. But No Mutants. Or Other Assorted Enemies. So Thats Another Reason I Didn't Give It A 10. It Lacked Exciting Enemies Because Carnegie Wasnt That Exciting Of An Enemy And When I Watched His Story In The Blu-Ray Speicial Features It Turns OutThis Was A Great Film. The Only Reason I Gave It A 9 Is Because Some Of The Scenes Were A Little Disturbing. Good Storyline. Seems Just Like Fallout 3. But No Mutants. Or Other Assorted Enemies. So Thats Another Reason I Didn't Give It A 10. It Lacked Exciting Enemies Because Carnegie Wasnt That Exciting Of An Enemy And When I Watched His Story In The Blu-Ray Speicial Features It Turns Out He Burned His Own House Down Just Because His Dad Caught Him Reading An Inappropriate Magazine. Nice. Still, I Would Have Prefered Some Sort Of Creature In It Other Then Gory Raiders, torturers And Slackers. But Overall, great Movie. Expand
  21. CRL
    Aug 4, 2011
    Post-apocalyptic is overused, but that's really the only fault I found with this movie. The acting was superb and the world was amazingly detailed to the point of perfection. Washington and Kunis show some real chemistry, and Gary Oldman is perfect for his role. The story was purely enjoyable, though maybe not as impactful as its director meant it to be, and the irony at the end give itPost-apocalyptic is overused, but that's really the only fault I found with this movie. The acting was superb and the world was amazingly detailed to the point of perfection. Washington and Kunis show some real chemistry, and Gary Oldman is perfect for his role. The story was purely enjoyable, though maybe not as impactful as its director meant it to be, and the irony at the end give it an almost perfect touch. Expand
  22. Jul 21, 2011
    Why does everyone in this movie speak in an ADD?ADHD manner ? And walks like in one of those early Charly Chaplin movies ? The story has been done a hundred times before, what is the added value here ? Nauseating to watch...please speak SLOOOWERRR. Horrible waste of a good cast...
  23. Jul 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Amazing movie, with good action and history. The ironic end is the better part of the hole film, it's difficult see an good movie like this today. Denzel makes for a incredible performance as usual. Expand
  24. MTM
    Jul 6, 2011
    Movie was great.... there was great action with great acting.. the movie really lets you feel the horrors of society today and what it could be in the future. You will like this if you love a good story, love action, and don't mind religion... considering the whole story is based on the Bible.
  25. Apr 26, 2011
    This movie is a Christian movie... I watched the trailers and everything and I thought it wouldn't be like that. This movie is great it combines a good message along with action, miniguns, and cannibals. If you are another religion then you might get mad at it because in a way it is false advertisement, however if you are Christian you will love this movie.
  26. Mar 25, 2011
    A good movie to watch on the satellite on a weekend day. Has good acting, good characters and even a good story. It even showed lots about how the environment would be like in a post apocalyptic time. I liked the movie.
  27. Lyn
    Mar 5, 2011
    Not as strong as some other Denzel films such as "Man on Fire" and "Training Day," thanks to some plot holes that are inexplicable even by post-apocalyptic-film standards. Still, I liked the intensity of his performance and thought the supporting acting was good as well. Appreciated the couple of laughs, the "wow" moments and the basic theme. Hard not to compare this with "The Road," aNot as strong as some other Denzel films such as "Man on Fire" and "Training Day," thanks to some plot holes that are inexplicable even by post-apocalyptic-film standards. Still, I liked the intensity of his performance and thought the supporting acting was good as well. Appreciated the couple of laughs, the "wow" moments and the basic theme. Hard not to compare this with "The Road," a different and better movie but so much more grim. Expand
  28. Jan 24, 2011
    A stylish film with a underlying current of fetishist violence. The tone of the film has impact and mimics the nature of apocalypse well. I feel compelled to reminisce about human existence, the artistic visuals are a treat and well worth the heavy-handed contrast. There is a heavy anti-human feeling which is counter balanced by the redemptive righteousness of Denzel Washington. PrettyA stylish film with a underlying current of fetishist violence. The tone of the film has impact and mimics the nature of apocalypse well. I feel compelled to reminisce about human existence, the artistic visuals are a treat and well worth the heavy-handed contrast. There is a heavy anti-human feeling which is counter balanced by the redemptive righteousness of Denzel Washington. Pretty much your Hollywoood norm but done with finesse. 8/10 81/100 Expand
  29. Jan 13, 2011
    The Last Bible on earth! Thiz topic expected to be controversial. But rather than that, people do not take it too seriously. In post-apocalyptic future, Eli (Denzel Washington) protected a book by walking to the west, somewhere he believed the book will preserve forever. The book that held up destiny for all human remained. Actually the story was smoothly told by Allen and Albert HughesThe Last Bible on earth! Thiz topic expected to be controversial. But rather than that, people do not take it too seriously. In post-apocalyptic future, Eli (Denzel Washington) protected a book by walking to the west, somewhere he believed the book will preserve forever. The book that held up destiny for all human remained. Actually the story was smoothly told by Allen and Albert Hughes who directed FROM HELL (2001). The story starts slowly in the beginning. And later successfully make us stay on our sit by holding up the curiosity about what happens next. The book which is the core of thiz movie, in my opinion did not suppose to reveal too obviously pointed to The Holy Bible. I think we already know by itself with all the conversations and dialogues all over the movie. If the book does not mention about what book is that, it will creates a great mysterious elements. The twist-ending sparks a little by revealing why the book could not read by anybody except eli. Washington performed another side of his characters. Thiz modern Sidney Poitier always amazed us. Gary Oldman once again did what his best to do by playing a convincing fierce-villain. Mila Kunis performance could replace by anyone. The movie reminds me of other gloomy post-apocalyptic flicks like MAD MAX trilogy (1979-1985) or WATERWORLD (1995). But the settings were too simple. There were no big scenes we could remember, even looked like classic-cowboy movies. There were only some refreshing scenes involved an elderly couple who one of them played by Michael Dumbledore Gambon. There were so many post-apocalyptic movies had been made. Thiz time is about the last shampoo remained on earth. It is not an expected movie but just ring my bell a little bit.

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE : http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  30. Jan 4, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Why? Why are there so many negative reviews for this the film is epic, Denzel Washingtons performance is nothing short of spectacular! I mean the whole film is so immersive I can't see how anyone could dislike it. If you are a big fallout 3 fan then you will love this hands down.

The story is a rather good one with the flaw that he is apparently blind but the "faith" guides him, it doesn't exactly say that but that is what it hints at, if he is blind then it the film talks a lot of crap.

The actors and setting is very well done and gives off the feeling of an apocalypse, the "action" scenes are well done and the film adds brutality, drama, thriller and even a slight hint of comedy in a few places.

I hope you can see why I have given 10/10 because the film deserves no less, the reason it is getting bad reviews anyway is because Metacritic seems to give all its films bad reviews even the spectacular ones.
  31. Jan 3, 2011
    To all the people giving this movie a negative review, stop it. I bet all of you were hopped up on Mountain Dew and Redbull ready to see violence before you got to the theater. Also to all of the people that say that there wasn't enough violence in the movie probably didn't stop to think that the movie wasn't really an action movie, it was about Eli's journey and what he went through onTo all the people giving this movie a negative review, stop it. I bet all of you were hopped up on Mountain Dew and Redbull ready to see violence before you got to the theater. Also to all of the people that say that there wasn't enough violence in the movie probably didn't stop to think that the movie wasn't really an action movie, it was about Eli's journey and what he went through on that journey, not about all the people he killed. The movie was great and doesnt deserve to be rated poorly just because it wasn't what you thought it was going to be when you went to see it. Sure the movie was predictable but if we rated movies on predictability then over 90% of movies would fail. All that being said the movie is worth every penny and deserves to be seen. The overall plot is fresh and something that will intrigue you and keep you watching. Just dont go into it thinking Denzel Washington is a cold blooded assassin on a violent warpath for revenge. And one more thing, just because the movie plot centers around the bible, doesnt mean that the writers were trying to convert the entire audience to Christianity. It appears that the only reason people say that is because they themselves are unsure of their own religious beliefs. Expand
  32. Dec 18, 2010
    A great movie, i really didnt know what to exspect going to see it maybe thats why it was so good. acting was grea. the actors explained the plot well and the fight scenes pretty good to. most of the movie kepps you on the edge you really dont know what will happen next. In the end this movie is worth your time and you wont waste your money.
  33. Nov 30, 2010
    Dumb. I can't believe I payed to see a movie about a post-apocalyptic black ninja sword fighter who kills everyone left on earth. The final scene of the movie is the worst I've ever seen, please leave before it happens!
  34. Nov 16, 2010
    Post-apocalyptic times, man wanders along his "path", encounters raiders, cannibals & unsavouries, comes across a town, head of town wants him to find a book, man doesn't want to, head tries to persuade him unsuccessfully, carnage.
    As a fan out the game Fallout 3, this film really appealed to me & also having the bonus of my two favourite actors in the lead with the gorgeous Mila Kunis along side them.
    It's a pretty basic story with a man's journey to his destiny played out in a grisly, desperate world with Washington & Oldman as great as ever & the whole setting, backed up by some great music, really sucking you in from the start.
    Didn't see the twist coming & maybe need to watch it again to see if it worked.
  35. Nov 9, 2010
    An awesome film. Denzel kills it as always. The story line is great and so is the cast. For anyone who hasn't seen it yet, this is a must watch. Enjoy.
  36. Oct 13, 2010
    Denzel still has it, and the twist in this movie is actually a good one. A lot of movies have twists that are just plain ridiculous, and I refuse to swallow, but this one makes you want to watch the movie again after realizing something that you maybe should have known the whole time.
  37. Aug 28, 2010
    Although this movie is about ideally saving Christianity, the characters do a phenomenal job. You buy in right off the bat to a rag-tag Denzel Washington and accompany him on a epic, intense, and emotional journey, I highly recommend seeing it.
  38. Aug 27, 2010
    The real title should have been "Fallout 4: When Zatoichi Found God and what happened after". Not much. I am a big fan of post-apocalyptic movies but this actively annoyed me most of the time.
  39. Aug 19, 2010
    I went into this film expecting very little. I love end-of-the-world scenarios (One of my favorites: The Quiet Earth. Least Favorite? I Am Legend or The Postman... Take your pick.) and had recently been slightly bored by "The Road"... This movie surprised me. I expected heavy religious overtones, and while there are some(duh), they don't ruin the film by getting too preachy. The actionI went into this film expecting very little. I love end-of-the-world scenarios (One of my favorites: The Quiet Earth. Least Favorite? I Am Legend or The Postman... Take your pick.) and had recently been slightly bored by "The Road"... This movie surprised me. I expected heavy religious overtones, and while there are some(duh), they don't ruin the film by getting too preachy. The action sequences are well done and often quite brutal. Worth checking out. Expand
  40. Aug 13, 2010
    Oh no another of one those doomsday movies, barren wastelands and cannibals all over the place. However the movie I can recommend itâ
  41. Kevin
    Jun 24, 2010
    Apparently MIKE and Morrison B. have not seen the movie. Best movie I have seen in a long time. The twist is not worn out. The action is great. In a post apocalyptic world how many people do you expect to be alive? Therefore not much to kill. Great portrait this movie paints. Christian movie? Yes to the core. One that is among the best movies IMO even if the critics disagree.
  42. ChristopherA.
    Jun 23, 2010
    Part horror and part action, this movie rocked. I never became bored once, and I like very few movies. It was original, which is a rare thing for movies nowadays. The only reason I saw this movie was because Gary Oldman was in it, but I was highly impressed with Denzel Washington as well. I wish more movies of this quality were made.
  43. JohnnyH.
    Jun 19, 2010
    Seriously, any bad ratings of this movie comes from atheist pricks who get their panties in a wad whenever they hear the word "God" or see a Bible. This movie is fun, exciting and one of the most enjoyable movies i've seen in a while.
  44. MiKE
    Jun 17, 2010
    Wow!! What an over the top silly movie. I do have to give credit for the opening scene. That was done very nicely. I had high hopes after the intro and I was waiting for an "action" very gof the movie "The road". What I got was garbage. Avoid this movie.
  45. JoeB.
    Jun 15, 2010
    Liked it more than I thought I would. Lacked something but overall was a good watch.
  46. TomC.
    Jun 15, 2010
    Contrary to what haters out there are saying, it's a very unique, thoughtful, and well executed film. To counter the zero below, you certainly will NOT regret watching it.
  47. ChaseC.
    Jun 14, 2010
    This movie is a solid sci-fi/action flick whose AGNOSTIC message has sent it well below the radar of acceptance from your "even-the-idea-of-divine-means-panned" critics. I am not a practitioner of any religion and loved the performances of all the major players, particularly Oldman who made the detestable villain a character you could not get enough of. Wasington's portrayal of Eli This movie is a solid sci-fi/action flick whose AGNOSTIC message has sent it well below the radar of acceptance from your "even-the-idea-of-divine-means-panned" critics. I am not a practitioner of any religion and loved the performances of all the major players, particularly Oldman who made the detestable villain a character you could not get enough of. Wasington's portrayal of Eli brought the character to life through a constant state of butt-kickery, cool temper and a unique set of morals that made him human: hence not the messiah but a preserver of words. I'm not saying it should win Best Picture, but neither did anything that involved a Thunderdome. Expand
  48. MorrisonB.
    Jun 12, 2010
    If the idea of Christian Propaganda makes you hurl, stay away from this film. More nonsense trying to "edgy" -- No thanks.
  49. NickK.
    Jun 4, 2010
    10 also to counteract 0's. I hate metacritic, not sure why I bother here anymore. Its such terrible reviewing. Anyway the movie was good in its own way and the religious outlook was a good touch/twist in the end. I enjoyed the movie enough that I will buy it for 10 bucks on bluray one day.
  50. JonathanM.
    May 31, 2010
    A great film, like no other.
  51. AgustinT.
    Apr 24, 2010
    Classical ending of a Hollywood movie - everybody is fine when the logic and the events says the contrary. But it has some message at the end: stick to your principles!
  52. JamesD.
    Apr 12, 2010
    Denzel makes for a incredible performance as usual. And coming from an Atheist I'd say the Christian "propaganda" does well to give meaning to the story. And since the movie was made in America I'm assuming that's why its Christian and not Buddhism or any other "holy" book in the world. I loved the twist. This movie proves that Christians can make good movies without Denzel makes for a incredible performance as usual. And coming from an Atheist I'd say the Christian "propaganda" does well to give meaning to the story. And since the movie was made in America I'm assuming that's why its Christian and not Buddhism or any other "holy" book in the world. I loved the twist. This movie proves that Christians can make good movies without smothering it with Christ. Expand
  53. BibK
    Apr 10, 2010
    It's an unoriginal mix of Mad Max, without cars and The Road without the depth of character, with bits of The Postman without the scale. Unoriginal and bland in the extreme, you will regret watching it.
  54. ClareL.
    Apr 7, 2010
    Movie was interesting with twist at the end. I found it dark and dreary. The ending surprised me in that the writers and producers didn't tell that the Torah is the five books of Moses. The real Mesiah will not be killing as a solution but will induce love and caring in all others. If they want to make a moral pont this is not the way.
  55. MonkeyA
    Mar 22, 2010
    This movie have a lot of great possibilies... but just falls in the same things we have seen hundred times... Bored, simple and previsible... Just have some good action moments.
  56. BrianE
    Mar 12, 2010
    This 10 is mostly to counteract the idiots giving this a 0. This was an excellent story, and those bashing it for telling a story of faith should leave their opinions to themselves. Ok, we get it. You're an edgy internet nerd who loves to bash popular opinions. Get over yourself. Point is, this story would be excellent if the book was the Torah, the Qur'an, etc. They put the This 10 is mostly to counteract the idiots giving this a 0. This was an excellent story, and those bashing it for telling a story of faith should leave their opinions to themselves. Ok, we get it. You're an edgy internet nerd who loves to bash popular opinions. Get over yourself. Point is, this story would be excellent if the book was the Torah, the Qur'an, etc. They put the written King James version between these, if I recall correctly at the end. Faith of all types needed to be preserved, was the meaning. Expand
  57. EvanG.
    Mar 8, 2010
    Great movie! Absolutely loved everything about it. Critics be damned.
  58. FelixK.
    Feb 23, 2010
    The film is a piece of christian propaganda. The twist that happens made every scene before unrealistic. Yes... he is the saviour himself... he can do it... *yawn*.
  59. GerryG
    Feb 21, 2010
    Mix a little western, a little Mad Max, a little mystery, a couple of good actors, and you get a decent film. Denzel does a good job, and Oldman does his usual schtick as the big bad boss (which he always does well), but the other actors, and the script, just quite aren't up to making this a top-notch film. But for what you get, it's enjoyable and intriguing.
  60. johnw.
    Feb 18, 2010
    Great movie, but then again pretty much any movie with Denzel in it is awesome. Its a shame to see it low-rated by people who just can't deal with the Christian concepts in it. Even if your not a Christian, I don't see how you could rate this movie a 0. It had a cool twist in the end, and overall an awesome movie. A definite must see in the theaters.
  61. AndyS
    Feb 18, 2010
    Great cinematography with good acting. I thought the story wasnt as far fetched as most think. I'm glad that Christianinty was shown in a good light for once.
  62. KylerC.
    Feb 18, 2010
    Unless you are some crazy film snob that can only be entertained by the most realistic and complex stories, you can most definitely enjoy this film! This is one of the best movies that I have seen in theaters in a long time; I thoroughly enjoyed the mix of action and drama, and even if you don't believe in the book that Eli carries, it is easy to believe in his purpose. Denzel hardly Unless you are some crazy film snob that can only be entertained by the most realistic and complex stories, you can most definitely enjoy this film! This is one of the best movies that I have seen in theaters in a long time; I thoroughly enjoyed the mix of action and drama, and even if you don't believe in the book that Eli carries, it is easy to believe in his purpose. Denzel hardly ever lets me down, once again bringing a grade A performance to the silver screen along with Gary Oldman, always a stellar bad guy. Mila Kunis was somewhat of a downfall for me, she doesn't really add much to the story besides a little lengthier play time, and some of the happenings around the conclusion are confusing and muddled, but are left up for your interpretation, which I liked. If you were thinking about seeing this but haven't yet, do it! I doubt you will be disappointed. Expand
  63. SandraK.
    Feb 17, 2010
    I thought the movie looked nice but the script and plotting were ridiculous. Come on, the "post apocalyptic farmhouse with a crazy family" is there anything more cliche in the genre?
  64. KimS
    Feb 16, 2010
    Why does it seem that writing is so poorly valued. Sure this film had reasonable production values. That is most of the shots were well done ( if a little ponderous) and even a couple of inventive ones (the sideways shot that scrolled |"up" was at least relatively novel). But the story is lame, not just derivative, not just the standard (and sometimes enjoyable) shallowness of the action Why does it seem that writing is so poorly valued. Sure this film had reasonable production values. That is most of the shots were well done ( if a little ponderous) and even a couple of inventive ones (the sideways shot that scrolled |"up" was at least relatively novel). But the story is lame, not just derivative, not just the standard (and sometimes enjoyable) shallowness of the action genre BUT actually BAD. The dialogue is terrible, hardly a single memorable (in the good sense) line in the film. The narrative makes no sense on so many levels: 1) Here's a book that Carnegie thinks will help him control people - even though *not a single person other than himself and Eli seem to have heard of it*. 2) Eli makes grave sacrifices to protect a book that he doesn't actually need. 3) Eli acts more like someone who was raised in a specific Christian tradition than someone who just read the bible. i.e. the saying of grace is a ritual likely descendant from certain events in the New Testament. There is no actual moral instruction to do so. 4) People seem to have forgotten things in a single generation (like what a TV is) ... I could go on. Expand
  65. DougL
    Feb 16, 2010
    Wow! Possibly one of the best films I have seen in a long time. The acting is excellent and the ending will blow your mind. Of course its hard for Denzel to make a bad movie.
  66. AlanR.
    Feb 16, 2010
    The movie was, for the first part beautifully shot (although the opening scene is ponderous and needless) and there are about two really good action scenes in there. With some original material but the script is crap. The dialogue is boring and uninspired. The character motivations don't make any sense. Eli:If he's memorized the book why take such risks to preserve it). Oldman: The movie was, for the first part beautifully shot (although the opening scene is ponderous and needless) and there are about two really good action scenes in there. With some original material but the script is crap. The dialogue is boring and uninspired. The character motivations don't make any sense. Eli:If he's memorized the book why take such risks to preserve it). Oldman: If most people can't read but will listen to you if you read from "the book". Then it stands to reason that you could tell them anything, or read from any other book. Solara: Is she really that naive that she thinks she will be safer with Eli? All culminating in an ending so disjointed that I was shocked to see a single writing credit. The most annoying thing is there are a half dozen ways to have made this movie. When studios don't even devote five brain cells to the plot is sort of like getting a big F-U from Hollywood. Expand
  67. franks
    Feb 14, 2010
    Sadly most movie critics are intolerent of a moral character with a christian worldview.
  68. Sara
    Feb 13, 2010
    I've seen it 3 times ... it just gets better with each viewing. Unbelievable ... a must-see, in my books.
  69. EdwardD
    Feb 10, 2010
    You will really like this movie if you can picture Moses as James Bond!! Sadly, the depravity that mankind sinks to in this story is probably fairly accurate. It is not a pretty picture, but Eli comes to the rescue to save us all. It wasn't a great movie, but the bad guys get there come uppance which is always satifying to see, and about all there is to this production.
  70. KyleB
    Feb 9, 2010
    Movie was epic and amazing! Dont believe what the critics say and go see this movie!!!
  71. killdarren
    Feb 6, 2010
    Another pathetic, post-apocalyptic, Christian, houlier than thou, Look at me Im-a-gonna-save-the-world with my Bible offering. Horrible.
  72. JakeN
    Feb 6, 2010
    Yet again another movie about the apocalypse. Well it's certainly nothing like 'The Road'. There more people, and no cannibals in 'Eli'. The plot is slightly smart, but yet very confusing.There are a few entertaining and eye popping action scenes in 'Eli'. That still isn't saying it's a good movie though. This isn't one of Denzel Yet again another movie about the apocalypse. Well it's certainly nothing like 'The Road'. There more people, and no cannibals in 'Eli'. The plot is slightly smart, but yet very confusing.There are a few entertaining and eye popping action scenes in 'Eli'. That still isn't saying it's a good movie though. This isn't one of Denzel Washington's worst work, yet it's not his best work. 'The Book of Eli' is just a bit out of control. Expand
  73. NikJ
    Feb 5, 2010
    This movie squandered it's great look and feel and cast, wasting itself on hocus-pocus laced fairytale. If he'd been carrying the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Gnostic Gospels, spilling a bit of blood might be justified, but the King James version? Oh please. - A simple tale of a loner wandering the post holocaust wilderness, would have been enough. Hollywood is crap with stories; This movie squandered it's great look and feel and cast, wasting itself on hocus-pocus laced fairytale. If he'd been carrying the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Gnostic Gospels, spilling a bit of blood might be justified, but the King James version? Oh please. - A simple tale of a loner wandering the post holocaust wilderness, would have been enough. Hollywood is crap with stories; either none or way too much. Eli loses it's humanity in preaching and high concept it can't live up to. Expand
  74. km
    Feb 5, 2010
    This was an outstanding must see movie!!! Denzel was awesome and the makers of the film did an outstanding job as well! If only we had more movies like this being made!
  75. DR
    Feb 5, 2010
    This movie is the greatest, most inspirational movie that I have seen. It completely renewed my faith in movies to see somthing that totally relies on God to make it what it is. I am so proud Denzel for making this movie so that others might see just how important it is to rely on God. I totally give it an A+++.
  76. KyleW.
    Feb 4, 2010
    I thought it was a good movie it keeps you thinking throughout and it has great fight scenes in it and a suprise twist at the end. So overall, I give the film a 10.
  77. BoratB.
    Feb 3, 2010
    Set up and scenes fantastic. Though, the story has some really stupid religious background. And the ending is just ridiculous. If I would have watched until 15 minutes before it ends, I would rate it way better.
  78. JoeD
    Jan 31, 2010
    This was pretty epic. It was better than its ratings.
  79. KeijiM.
    Jan 31, 2010
    What is really interesting about this movie is the contrasting views on religion(Christianity) as being a dangerous in that people will follow and put too much faith in it(Carnegie's idea). And the other that people need something to have faith in no matter how desperate or bleak the situation(Eli). It gives you something to think about but overall the movie itself is rather slow. What is really interesting about this movie is the contrasting views on religion(Christianity) as being a dangerous in that people will follow and put too much faith in it(Carnegie's idea). And the other that people need something to have faith in no matter how desperate or bleak the situation(Eli). It gives you something to think about but overall the movie itself is rather slow. The action in the trailers is about all the action you get in the actual movie. really an average movie. not terrible but not a must see. Expand
  80. Colin
    Jan 31, 2010
    Was blown away by the wtf ending they threw in. Awesome movie.
  81. TheKid
    Jan 31, 2010
    The critics are out to lunch on this one. Good story line - Little slow, but took awhile to realize the subtleties.
  82. RickyB.
    Jan 30, 2010
    Not really knowing what to expect going into the theater, during the first half of this movie all i could think was "wow, this is the best movie I've seen in years!" because, well, so far it was. right around the scene where they get to the house and have the "big showdown" where eli loses the bible is where the movie started slipping. people keep whining about "religious themes" or Not really knowing what to expect going into the theater, during the first half of this movie all i could think was "wow, this is the best movie I've seen in years!" because, well, so far it was. right around the scene where they get to the house and have the "big showdown" where eli loses the bible is where the movie started slipping. people keep whining about "religious themes" or some crap, which I noticed but really just ignored because well who cares? lol but yeah great movie for the first half, pretty dumb ending but I'd watch it again. Expand
  83. Seanismyname
    Jan 26, 2010
    Jason C's comment about human secularists is incorrect. I am a human secularist and I thought this movie vividly and convincingly portrayed the time-honored power of the Bible to inspire murder, greed and human treachery. I would have given it a higher score but the crazy cannibals made the movie descend from fable to pastiche.
  84. AndyB.
    Jan 25, 2010
    I love the clowns who say: "Just another Religious, Bible thumping movie" right cause those are sooooo prevalent in Hollywood. Not. That said, if you are a believer, or are seeking a higher power, you will like this movie. If you don't believe and don't give a rip to believe then you won't like this movie. It's a polarizing film. I'm impressed that the script was I love the clowns who say: "Just another Religious, Bible thumping movie" right cause those are sooooo prevalent in Hollywood. Not. That said, if you are a believer, or are seeking a higher power, you will like this movie. If you don't believe and don't give a rip to believe then you won't like this movie. It's a polarizing film. I'm impressed that the script was actually picked up, that Denzel, a big-time actor actually did it. It makes me think there is hope considering all the non "Bible thumping" B.S. that Hollywood spits out. Expand
  85. JoelC
    Jan 24, 2010
    Wow... Just WOW! Ok so this movie will not be widely accepted or exalted due to its highly religious theme and message. It is not a universal religious theme such as 2012 that calls for various interpretations, and it is not as candy coated or indirect as Narnia's Christian message... it is a movie which, consciously or unconsciously, sends a crystal clear message to any believer Wow... Just WOW! Ok so this movie will not be widely accepted or exalted due to its highly religious theme and message. It is not a universal religious theme such as 2012 that calls for various interpretations, and it is not as candy coated or indirect as Narnia's Christian message... it is a movie which, consciously or unconsciously, sends a crystal clear message to any believer that sees it. So bottom line... it will be criticized by any non-believer as a stupid film, and exalted by any devoted follower of Christ. If you are a believer I invite you to listen carefully to every word in this movie from both the main character and the villain... and also the meaning beyond the movie in terms of the writer's intentions, or lack of, and connect it to scripture. If you are a believer wanting to follow in God's path in order to fulfill His purpose, be ready to hear a message that will minister to your life as a Christian... whether it be a message of hope or enlightenment. Expand
  86. StanR
    Jan 24, 2010
    This film starts out being difficult to believe, then transitions into a decent action movie for 20-30 minutes but afterwards returns to being proselytizing Christian fairy tale that is simply impossible to believe. Some reviewers have called the ending unpredictable. That
  87. AllenW.
    Jan 23, 2010
    It was a decent movie. It was a overtly religious film without the humanity we find in The Road. It was not a bad film but not that great either. The "twist ending" was not really that much of a twist, so don't expect expect anything earth shattering. The movie is enjoyable if you are willing to forgive some plot holes.
  88. JasonC.
    Jan 23, 2010
    Great movie, keeps you thinking. If your a human secularist like most movie critics you probably won't like it. Your better to go watch Avatar instead.
  89. Justin
    Jan 23, 2010
    This movie really sucked and I felt, for the first time in my life, that I probably deserved a refund for having to sit through such a mess. The characters are shallow, things seem to happen without cause, and the plot just winds its way arbitrarily throughout the movie. Every major actor in this movie is horribly unbelievable. How is Mila Kunis living in a complete hell and still manages This movie really sucked and I felt, for the first time in my life, that I probably deserved a refund for having to sit through such a mess. The characters are shallow, things seem to happen without cause, and the plot just winds its way arbitrarily throughout the movie. Every major actor in this movie is horribly unbelievable. How is Mila Kunis living in a complete hell and still manages to have jeans that fit her and aviators? Don't go see this if you've already seen The Road because you'll be severely disappointed. Expand
  90. JohnS.
    Jan 23, 2010
    Excellent movie loved am a christian. Very good moral movie! True measures of a man. If you thought it was horrible you went to see it for the wrong reasons and need to go to church and need a father figure. Walk by faith not by sight as the key lines in the movie say.
  91. joeh
    Jan 22, 2010
    Geez, hasn't anyone ever seen a Boy and His Dog, or the Zatoichi, The Blind Swordsman series and then Beat Takeshi's homage to it, complete with musical numbers?? You can dredge up every post apocalyptic film that has been made since Arch Oboler's Five and see where The Book of Eli is stealing from. Throw in some mumbo jumbo judeo christian eschatology, some homages to Geez, hasn't anyone ever seen a Boy and His Dog, or the Zatoichi, The Blind Swordsman series and then Beat Takeshi's homage to it, complete with musical numbers?? You can dredge up every post apocalyptic film that has been made since Arch Oboler's Five and see where The Book of Eli is stealing from. Throw in some mumbo jumbo judeo christian eschatology, some homages to Leone/Morricone and voila, a pretty predicatable and boring film. But the cars get awesome mileage and they aren't even solar powered. Is Denzel going to be our new Heston? Do we smell another Planet of the Apes remake down the road? Expand
  92. amarl.
    Jan 21, 2010
    A good action movie.You should judge movie for storytelling and for it's packaging.
  93. FranG
    Jan 21, 2010
    I encourage all Christians to see this movie, it is about the Bible, I did not see that fact mention in any reviews. The ending will make you rethink the entire movie and wanting to see it again.
  94. LucyC.
    Jan 20, 2010
    WOW I thought it was a very good movie. I love the twist at the end. Definitely worth watching.
  95. IvanD.
    Jan 20, 2010
    I'm extremely agnostic, but I really don't care how much religion the movie had. I have as much believe in Christianity, as I do the Lord of the Rings. Alls I can tell you is that the action was tight, and the acting was expectable. The plot twist at the end only made me wonder how blind he was (there are varying levels).
  96. AlexisT
    Jan 19, 2010
    This was great if you are a Christian. IT was horrid, slow and the action sequences looked better on the preview. And the amazing twist at the end? Not even worth it.
  97. DanielE
    Jan 19, 2010
    Seems most of the negative reviews from critics include some kind of derogatory remark about religion. I would be willing to bet the aforesaid reviewers are athiests or agnostic. Anyway, the score and story are both excellent! Gary Oldman is always good and his performance in this film is no exception. Don't listen to negative & biased reviews this film is very good.
  98. Andrewthegreat
    Jan 19, 2010
    This movie was just amazing. I give it ten stars, the ending was very ironic!
  99. EvinC
    Jan 18, 2010
    The film had cool action and one scene is just awesome but the story didn't make me believe or care for the characters. I send Oldman my love, he was the best. Maybe next time Hughes Bros.
  100. TylerH
    Jan 18, 2010
    Surprisingly good movie, but different than you would expect from seeing previews. Exceptionally well acted and a surprizingly good plot. It contains holes, but its a movie and I got over it. Exceeded my expectations, one of my favorites.

1. The Hughes Brothers' measured, well-paced direction complements the comic-book simplicity of this narrative.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Some mordant comic touches would have been welcome throughout the picture, which has a somber tone that suffers a bit from lack of modulation and nuance.
    The Book of Eli combines the maximum in hollow piety with remorseless violence. [18 Jan. 2010, p.82]