Universal Pictures | Release Date: June 14, 2002
7.5
Generally favorable reviews based on 404 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Check box if your review contains spoilers 0 characteres (5000 max)
cheeseberger11Aug 17, 2013
The Bourne Idenity is a solid action flick that had a good plot. The movie started strong but towards the end I didn't know what Damon's character goal was. He wanted answers but he didn't really know what he was looking for in which turnedThe Bourne Idenity is a solid action flick that had a good plot. The movie started strong but towards the end I didn't know what Damon's character goal was. He wanted answers but he didn't really know what he was looking for in which turned to me not knowing what to look for. Expand
riferrariAug 21, 2012
I will give it a 6 out of 10 because I found it too slow paced for an action movie, the first third of the movie was very entertaining but then after that it started to get tiring.
grandpajoe6191Sep 25, 2011
"Bourne Identity" is a serious action movie that looks cool, but creating a game off of this might have been a better choice.
WilliamB.Jun 18, 2002
Too much violence and not enough character development. Suspenseful but yet lacking the knockout punch. If you have time on your hands, its just okay.
0 of 1 users found this helpful
RyanM.Jul 3, 2002
It slogs through a story that's never interesting, never original, and definitely never attaching.
BlancoA.Jun 16, 2002
Very average movie. Franka Potente is excellent, though. So glad they didn't cast an American actress for the role....
JoshuaW.Jun 20, 2002
It's an average suspense flick, minus the suspense. I would like to have seen more from Franka Potente and less of the bad guys figuring out what to do next. I could also have done without the no-brainer ending. Instead of seeing this It's an average suspense flick, minus the suspense. I would like to have seen more from Franka Potente and less of the bad guys figuring out what to do next. I could also have done without the no-brainer ending. Instead of seeing this movie, just play Metal Gear Solid. Expand
PatC.Jan 12, 2004
Competent disposable filmmaking. Raises a fatal question for formula characters: What good is it to remember who you are if you were nobody to begin with?
ErwinK.Feb 8, 2005
Supremely overrated.
BrianC.Jun 15, 2002
Having just read the book I was very dissapointed. The action was OK but all the important tension from the main character's not knowing who he is and who he suspects he is is missing completely
RobertH.Jun 15, 2002
Suspenseful flick about a CIA assassin with amnesia who fails to carry out his mission. Matt Damon stumbles though the rest of the movie in Paris trying to discover who he actually is without himself being killed by the CIA. Nice car chase Suspenseful flick about a CIA assassin with amnesia who fails to carry out his mission. Matt Damon stumbles though the rest of the movie in Paris trying to discover who he actually is without himself being killed by the CIA. Nice car chase scene as was done years ago in The French Connection. The movie plods along to its predictable ending. Too bad there is never any time between the gore to develop the main characters. The movie left me wanting more of an explanation. Matt is certainly not the next Arnie S. as an action hero. Expand
Tomle1202Aug 9, 2016
Benefiting from perfectly created thrilling moments and a newly interesting story of an amnesiac agent, The Bourne Identity proves to be far better than just generic.
wornoutspinesJun 18, 2015
I remember how I loved The Bourne Identity when it first came out, the plot, the action, I thought everything was great about this film was riveting but then I saw it again and I dozed off for a little bit.

The film doesn’t really holds up

The film doesn’t really holds up today but weirdly enough the plot and the action is style good. The fight scenes and the stunts are still impressive today but the sound effects are kinda bad, it actually put me off of the fight scenes this time around. How come punches sounded like that in movies back then? And how the hell was I ok with it? It took me out of the story and I struggled to get back in it.

As distracting as the sound effects are in the film, The Bourne Identity has a good cast, Matt Damon is amazing in that role, completely belivable as this amnesiac dude who knows all of these thing. The story is simple but efficient as are the action scenes. It has a James Bondsy flavor, that is if James Bond was on a budget, which gives a gritty, realistic feel to the movie.

The Bourne Identity has its quirks but it’s a rather entertaining film. by @wornoutspines